Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Do You Hear What I Hear?

As head of the HOA Christmas committee, Jessica threatens to cut the neighborhood caroling this year due to last year's rocky performance. However, Deirdre says that her friend Holly, who teaches "Performance and Movement," will help get everyone into tip-top, melodic shape. Meanwhile, Marvin becomes suspicious of Honey when she goes to see "Titanic" at the movies without him; Nicole develops her first girl crush and struggles with how to get her attention.

Paula Abdul sounds nasally as heck. Did she have a cold or something?

Awesome to hear that Titanic movie. I remember how many times my mother saw that movie and my dad will have this here we go again face...Good times.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

Marvin, such a teddy bear! 

One of the few times I laughed at an Eddie-centric plot. That whole episode with the tweens tweakin off the coffee, and the all-too-pre-adolescent love advice, just ridiculous enough to be hilarious.

Emery is pretty versatile too. Still innocent enough to tag team with Evan, but grown up enough to hang out with the bigger cool kids.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Was that really Constance Wu singing?  Damn, she has a really nice voice.

I think it was; she has sung on a couple other episodes. She did a great job with a tough song.

It was nice to see Paula Abdul! And I wish a choral group with choreography like that would carol in our neighborhood!

• Love 5

The Titanic references were great!  The only thing that I wonder (and maybe some of you on here can answer) is do the younger viewers get all the references?

Those of us around back then remember when Titanic was all that anybody talked about.  And it seemed every radio station played that theme song several times an hour.

"We missed the 9:10 showing.  But there's another showing at 9:20, 9:25, 9:30 and 9:45"

Oh yes, I definitely remember that!

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
12 hours ago, smash said:

Marvin, such a teddy bear!

I know it's all on me, but I just can't warm up to him because all I see is him in Twin Peaks.

For me it's the devil from Reaper. 

I'm not sure how I feel about Honey pregnant. I guess it depends on how it is handled. Marvin has kids so I am hoping for not a "bumbling dad" story. I did like Honey talking to Jessica about being nervous. 

• Love 3

That was really good, probably my favorite in quite awhile. I liked all three plots, and I really love Eddie and Nicole's friendship. Its nice to see Eddie trying to be supportive, in his own, awkward way. Plus I like when he and Emory team up. 

That carol song was really good, I wish my neighbors put something like that together! We always just have a potluck from Christmas, which is lovely, but has a real lack of choreography. And Constance has a lovely voice! 

Titanic references! Yea!

• Love 4

Jessica is such an asshole. I don't care that she got upset at the end, her behavior, once again was worse that any of the kids. She's so selfish and mean that I just have a hard time watching. She's the Asian version of Marie Barone. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Honey pregnant. I guess it depends on how it is handled. Marvin has kids so I am hoping for not a "bumbling dad" story. I did like Honey talking to Jessica about being nervous. 

I think he only has Nicole and I thought Marvin said in the ep where Louis and Jessica were being selfish assholes trying to talk them out of having a baby that he had no experience with babies/kids because her mom handled it all.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Jessica is such an asshole. I don't care that she got upset at the end, her behavior, once again was worse that any of the kids. She's so selfish and mean that I just have a hard time watching. She's the Asian version of Marie Barone. 

Co-sign, and Evan's a little prick off the old block. I enjoyed the kids' story at the coffee shop, and Louis and Honey's movie shenanigans. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

LOOOOOOVED everyone in the Nicole plot. That was the best thing ever.

Jessica's behavior was so horrible, I really think they've gone too far with her.

Confession: I have never seen Titanic, and never had any desire to do so. I was an adult when it was released, so I don't have a generational excuse. I had no problem with that plot this week, though (I've been like that about various other media at times and it's funny), except I thought Honey planning to let Marvin worry until Christmas that she was stepping out to the movies with someone and lying about it (and thus him suspecting she's having an affair) was out of character for her and a terrible, unkind idea. I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or disappointed that Louis didn't blurt the truth when Marvin came to him all upset.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch that Eddie and Nicole were in Greenie’s Coffee...wasn’t that the name of the coffee place Eric Andre’s character worked in “Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23”? Both shows have the same creator, Nahnatchka Khan. Thought it was a great call back to that show!

• Love 4

Ha, A+ for the "who Jackie" reference!

I cracked up when Emery said he didn't want to see Titanic because he was reading a book about it and didn't want to get spoiled, mostly because when Mr. EB and I saw Titanic, the first thing he said when we sat down was, "You know the boat sinks at the end, right?"

Mr. EB saw Titanic kind of against his will. We were living in San Diego when the movie was filmed in Rosarito Beach so there was a lot of local press about Titanic long before the movie actually came out. Mr. EB was predicting that the movie would be terrible and not do well at the box office, so he was already coming up with newspaper headlines that would be used when the movie tanked (no pun intended) like "Titanic sinks at the box office." I wanted to see it because I thought Leo was a good actor and because I like to support (semi) local stuff, so he agreed to go with me. When Titanic won the Oscar for best picture, Mr. EB said, "I don't care how many awards it gets. That movie still wasn't good. Now it's just a bad movie that won a bunch of awards."

Anyway, I found this short interview with three locals who were hired as Titanic extras. Nothing earth shattering, but I love any kind of behind the scenes info!

I love that the show keeps finding 90s stars to do cameos on the show. Paula Abdul didn't have much to do, but it was still fun to see her. I thought Ian did a great job singing but Constance was even more amazing!

I liked the Eddie/Nicole coffee shop plot. It was age appropriate and gave them a good reason to bring Emery and Allison. Seeing them hopped up on coffee was funny, as was Eddie's comment about how he finally understood why everyone on Friends was always at the coffee house. It's nice when they add little comments like that to remind us that they're in the 90s without going overboard.

13 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Ha, me too! No matter how many things I see him in, that's the role that sticks with me.

• Love 3

I just need to take a minute and say how much I love that they've kept the original opening sequence 4 seasons into the show.  Every time I see them, I crack up about how how tall the kids are now - especially Eddie.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Confession: I have never seen Titanic, and never had any desire to do so.

I felt the same way, my reasoning being "we already have The Poseidon Adventure, so we don't need another disaster movie involving an ocean liner." Eventually I saw it on video and sobbed all the way through the last twenty minutes. Even listening to Jessica sing "My Heart Will Go On," while she made "I'm the King of the World" arm movements made me tear up.

(Fact that is fun, but probably only for me: a friend of mine was a seat filler at the Oscars the year Titanic was nominated for eleventy awards. Early in the show, the person sitting in the second row behind Leo, Kate, and Gloria Stuart got up and she filled his seat, but he never came back. So for three hours, every time the camera cut to the Titanic actors (which was A LOT), she would position her head in the space between their heads and grin maniacally at the camera.)

I'm still laughing at Eddie's hopped up on caffeine face.

• Love 3

My mother and I went to see Titanic at the cheap seats theatre; everyone there had seen it a gazillion times and some were clearly big fans.  Mom and I were...not.  It was in fact a terrible movie "that won a bunch of awards" (thanks, Mr. EB!).  We were behind a trio of guys who were pretty scornful of it and I was cracking up at them.  Did not shed one tear.  The worst thing was the actual sinking of the Titanic was a moving and sad story all by itself.  It didn't need that ridiculous chase scene with a gun-wielding villain through the North Atlantic water pouring in...I could go on with all the nonsense but I won't.  Just to say, it was fun to watch this episode and not have to watch that terrible movie. 

• Love 3

Really loved the episode. Listening to Jessica singing My Heart Will Go On brought tears to my eyes! The nostalgia was big in this episode. I was 14 again, watching the movie with my cousins and crying for the mother reading a story for her kids so that they'll sleep before drowning and the old married couple holding on to each other. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

My mother and I went to see Titanic at the cheap seats theatre; everyone there had seen it a gazillion times and some were clearly big fans.  Mom and I were...not.  It was in fact a terrible movie "that won a bunch of awards" (thanks, Mr. EB!).  We were behind a trio of guys who were pretty scornful of it and I was cracking up at them.  Did not shed one tear.  The worst thing was the actual sinking of the Titanic was a moving and sad story all by itself.  It didn't need that ridiculous chase scene with a gun-wielding villain through the North Atlantic water pouring in...I could go on with all the nonsense but I won't.  Just to say, it was fun to watch this episode and not have to watch that terrible movie. 

YES! This was my feeling as well. The sinking of the Titanic is tragic. The "love story" shoved in there was horrible.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2017 at 1:24 PM, joanne3482 said:

agree. reaper! i loved that show....

just a little scheeved when i see much older men with "hot" younger women. but marvin seems nice if not a little dumb. 

• Love 2

Jessica was really crossing the line.  I don't enjoy watching her "grow" and then revert the next episode.  Four seasons in, it's getting beyond tiresome.

The "Titanic" subplot was hilarious, though.  I also didn't like the love story/action stuff in the movie, but still, the movie was a way to vicariously experience a few hours on that liner.