Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Make me kai (Death at Sea)

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

McGarrett, Danny, Tani and Junior are exposed to a deadly bioweapon and the rest of Five-0 have only eight hours to find an antidote.

The rest???? Lou and Jerry???? And maybe Adam? Who else is there? If that is their only hope, they are doomed.

The rest???? Lou and Jerry???? And maybe Adam? Who else is there? If that is their only hope, they are doomed.

I'm sure that between them, the near-genius minds of Flippa and Kamekona could figure it out in 4 hours or less, especially if there is some profit in it for Kamekona. Oh, and don't forget Eddie. The big question is whether, faced with 8 hours to live, Danny and Steve continue to argue and bicker, and whether Junior protests the fact that the HPD reject is on the 5-0 team and he has to complete training? That could make for some uncomfortable conversations in the future, assuming some/all of them survive. I don't know how many times they have had an abandoned yacht or boat in the storyline? Maybe this is a recurring dream of Lenkov's?

Edited by GustheCat
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I'm sure that between them, the near-genius minds of Flippa and Kamekona could figure it out in 4 hours or less

They'll find a shrimp dish that cures them!  Then sell it at a premium.

• Love 2

Question - if you were exposed to an unknown biological agent, would you sit in an enclosed space with the bodies of several victims of said agent or out in the fresh air?   I would go for the fresh air, in hopes of lessening my exposure.

• Love 2

OMG.  When Lou welcomed Adam to the office to ID the victims, I swear I heard Chi McBride say "Hey, thanks for coming, Dale..." Was that a blooper?  Does Chi refer to his costars by their last name?

Is this the first episode with Jorge Garcia's new haircut?  I like it.  Now, let's tame the beard...

At one point Lou and Jerry were trying to identify the bodies from the photos that Steve sent.  So far so good, but the computer screen display showed all eleven bodies--already matched up with normal photos of each victim and EVERY NAME was prominently shown by each victim.  And while looking at that display, Lou was asking Jerry if he could possibly identify the vics, and Jerry said that he was running the photos through every available database but no luck yet.

That's when they called Adam in to look at the body photos so he could help in the identification because he had traveled in those rich guy circles and might know some of them.  Jerry/Lou--you don't need Adam for ID--you already have all of the identifications on your magic screen.

Love the new haircut of Jorge. As really do need to give him a goatee. Really Jerry do not give him a gun. He is thriving on the computer.

Really loved it that McDanno showed emotions more in this episode. And really show they do care about each other when facing death.

They are fixing Junior and Tani to be really romantic or something. The way the producers are showing it.

Looks like next week they will be quarantine again in next week's episode. 

Poor that lady medical examiner forget her name but really she is afraid of flying. Cause I am too know the feeling.

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

OMG.  When Lou welcomed Adam to the office to ID the victims, I swear I heard Chi McBride say "Hey, thanks for coming, Dale..." Was that a blooper?  Does Chi refer to his costars by their last name?

I watched it again. He said "Man, thanks for coming down." 

52 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

They are fixing Junior and Tani to be really romantic or something. The way the producers are showing it.

Looks like next week they will be quarantine again in next week's episode. 

Poor that lady medical examiner forget her name but really she is afraid of flying. Cause I am too know the feeling.

I think they are fixing Junior and Tani too. 

The M.E.'s name is Noelani. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I watched it again. He said "Man, thanks for coming down." 

I watched it twice, and I swear he said "Dale," but you make sense.  I'm still recovering from the crud, and my ears may still be a little congested.  That's why I brought it here!  Thanks!

7 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

At one point Lou and Jerry were trying to identify the bodies from the photos that Steve sent.  So far so good, but the computer screen display showed all eleven bodies--already matched up with normal photos of each victim and EVERY NAME was prominently shown by each victim.  And while looking at that display, Lou was asking Jerry if he could possibly identify the vics, and Jerry said that he was running the photos through every available database but no luck yet.

That's when they called Adam in to look at the body photos so he could help in the identification because he had traveled in those rich guy circles and might know some of them.  Jerry/Lou--you don't need Adam for ID--you already have all of the identifications on your magic screen.

No, they called Adam in to see if he Knew the victims, since he was acquainted with the rubber dingy girl.

• Love 1

Why was there no effort to move the yacht closer to shore? The CG could have towed it or at least dropped off some fuel. And don't potent bio weapons gradually destroy organs instead of going with no ill effects until after eight hours your body suddenly explodes?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

No, they called Adam in to see if he Knew the victims, since he was acquainted with the rubber dingy girl.

That was my take "knew" as in something a confidential informant can tell a cop beyond a name and computer search

45 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

Why was there no effort to move the yacht closer to shore? The CG could have towed it or at least dropped off some fuel. And don't potent bio weapons gradually destroy organs instead of going with no ill effects until after eight hours your body suddenly explodes?

It was a hot zone and the Coast Guardsmen who would have set up the tow line faced an exposure risk. As far as the Star Trek medical science well you know.

I knew right from the beginning that rubber dingy girl was involved.

Why that never occurred to highly experienced, high PD ranking Lou is beyond me.  When he said there was a 3rd scenario, I was sure he was going to mention her.  But he was right on Marco still being there.

• Love 3

So, Steve, who (a) has had a liver transplant and (b) has/had radiation poisoning shows no real effects of the toxic exposure but Danny is down almost immediately????

Furthermore, I love how they kept saying "Marco didn't die of the virus, so he must have an antidote". No, he died of a (flash) gun shot to the face. Maybe he would have died of the virus. I know, he wouldn't have, but they don't know that! And, couldn't they have synthesized an antidote from the anti-bodies in Marco's blood? Did they even run a blood work-up on dinghy girl, to see if she had been exposed? Apparently, just because she's not dead, they figure she wasn't exposed. Wouldn't they have found the antibodies in her blood?

Edited by illdoc
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, illdoc said:

So, Steve, who (a) has had a liver transplant and (b) has/had radiation poisoning shows no real effects of the toxic exposure but Danny is down almost immediately????

Well Danny was exposed to Sarin years ago, so it is possible.  It's also likely that his arm is still healing, so the producers had him sicker and unable to help so as not to hurt his arm.

I liked the 'Margaritaviille' song choice.  And the song/score at the end reminded me of the haunting 9/11 song when Danny was trying to get help for his partner, Grace and all the ambulances were responding to the Towers and passing him by.

Edited by roamyn
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Yeah I wondered about that and then I just gave up and finally chalked it up to the anti-rejection meds that he's supposedly no longer taking, the radiation poisoning and the meds he's taking for that giving him super human strength and a magnificent immune system.  Although, Roamyn had a point and it probably gave Scott a little more rest and recovery for his arm.  I think next week's continuation will do the same since he appears to be getting the brunt of health issues for these 2 episodes.

I'm more than a little tired of the crime show trope of the hero having to rush across town to save the day instead of calling ahead to the beat cop -- or hospital security. And the trope of calling out the perp's name -- or rushing in with sirens blaring -- thus warning them off.

• Love 2

I actually don't mind the Tani/Junior thing, if that's where this goes. The show has never developed a co-worker relationship (I don't count Steve/Cath, as that preceded the show). At least they are supposed to be about the same age, unlike Steve and Danny and their flings.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, sue450 said:

what happened to scotts arm in real life???  I wondered why they didn't check dingy girl for antibodies or the guy with the breafcase full of toxin

They did check the guy.  Danny & Junior went over his clothes/body, while Steve checked the case. We should hope they checked the dingy aft they realized Monique as involved, but just never said anything.  

Or they assumed she likely didn't have it on her since she & Marco were probably inoculated b4 they arrived on the yacht.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:07 PM, Passepartout said:

"We have two people of a certaqn age... they must be in luuuurve!!!!"  Yuck... no.

11 hours ago, ally said:

Yeah I wondered about that and then I just gave up and finally chalked it up to the anti-rejection meds.

I chalked it up to Steve being Superman and Danny being.. not.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I watched it twice, and I swear he said "Dale," but you make sense.  I'm still recovering from the crud, and my ears may still be a little congested.  That's why I brought it here!  Thanks!

I heard Dale too and I thought it was weird.

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Furthermore, I love how they kept saying "Marco didn't die of the virus, so he must have an antidote". No, he died of a (flash) gun shot to the face.

That was strange too. I have never been shot in the torso with a flare gun but I don't imagine that when a person is shot with one they find a nice deep dark hole to climb into.

I'm also calling BS on Adam being able to bypass the toughest banking laws in the world in twenty minutes. That's not connections, it's a superpower.

And while I can also proudly say I've never had any manner of hemorrhagic fever, I am pretty sure when you are minutes from dying you wouldn't be able to go for a swim.

They also specified that the villian who supplied the virus was a chemical weapons guy. Chemical weapons and biological weapons are not the same thing and being an expert in one would not make you an expert in the other.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, roamyn said:

Well Danny was exposed to Sarin years ago, so it is possible. 

12 hours ago, ally said:

Yeah I wondered about that and then I just gave up and finally chalked it up to the anti-rejection meds that he's supposedly no longer taking, the radiation poisoning and the meds he's taking for that giving him super human strength and a magnificent immune system.  

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I chalked it up to Steve being Superman and Danny being.. not.

On the topic of why Danny succumbed so much faster than the others...Differences in either genetics and/or exposure might lead people to have different symptoms to the same illness and the two reasons aren't mutually exclusive. No two individuals have the exact same biomedical profile, not even identical twins, so it is definitely possible. Although, I agree with JHLIPTON - it's more likely that it just suits the characterisation the show's writers prefer. 

I would give them some kudos however, for again showing Steve being somewhat less than superhuman - he was showing more symptoms than the younger members of the team and struggled with his heroic antics. I think in light of AOL's needs (and I hope also for the sake of believability in the show - although that has never bothered them before!) they are at least trying to develop his character appropriately.

It does strike me as odd though that, in light of Scott Caan's contract for reduced commitment, the writers didn't plan ahead better - surely a combination of this infection (and possibly some complications if necessary) and next week's 'incident' (not wanting to spoil anyone here) would have been the perfect opportunity to write him out, credibly, for the necessary four weeks (or whatever it is?) while he recovers or is away for physio appointments etc. It just takes a bit of joined up thinking doesn't it?

But then, I'm a fan of any and all hurt!Danny so I'm not complaining too much!

11 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Yes, I was going to ask: @BW Manilowe, have any details been released about what happened to Scott's arm in real life? 

Nope. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. I've (among others, I'm sure) been looking for it to hit the media, like when he hurt his knee during early S1 filming & that had to be written in for Danny to be hurt too, while Scott was still recovering from his surgery for it. I guess this time it's nobody's business, or he really hurt the arm like Danny did, falling off a ladder, but doesn't wanna admit it.

About a week ago (I think), I posted in the Spoilers and Speculation thread that 1 of my best friends, who also likes the show, & I were talking about Scott's arm & (mostly) she threw out some ways Scott might've gotten hurt. She was the 1 who said maybe he really did fall off a ladder in real life too.

We all know that Steve is Wolverine.

There were so many plot holes. In addition to the one already mentioned: how did Adam No-Longer-Yakuza cause the Swiss bank to cough up the name of the supposed buyer? And who confiscated the cell-phones and sabotaged the radio? How exactly did that one vial in the middle of a padded suitcase break? How did people figure out Marko was to blame? When you're on a yacht and everybody suddenly feels queasy wouldn't you first blame it on salmonella? Chimera virus is normally not the first thought.

Jerry's new haircut and Noelani setting the record straight on the hazards of helicopter flights (Google told me so!) were the highlights.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

We all know that Steve is Wolverine.

There were so many plot holes. In addition to the one already mentioned: how did Adam No-Longer-Yakuza cause the Swiss bank to cough up the name of the supposed buyer? And who confiscated the cell-phones and sabotaged the radio? How exactly did that one vial in the middle of a padded suitcase break? How did people figure out Marko was to blame? When you're on a yacht and everybody suddenly feels queasy wouldn't you first blame it on salmonella? Chimera virus is normally not the first thought.

Jerry's new haircut and Noelani setting the record straight on the hazards of helicopter flights (Google told me so!) were the highlights.

If you're on a yacht & everyone suddenly feels queasy I'd blame it on seasickness or norovirus, before salmonella, I think. No, it's not likely everyone in a small group on a boat/ship would get sick. But if you just happened to get the right group of people together, it could conceivably happen. (Shrugs)

8 hours ago, Roselle said:

On the topic of why Danny succumbed so much faster than the others...Differences in either genetics and/or exposure might lead people to have different symptoms to the same illness and the two reasons aren't mutually exclusive. No two individuals have the exact same biomedical profile, not even identical twins, so it is definitely possible. Although, I agree with JHLIPTON - it's more likely that it just suits the characterisation the show's writers prefer. 

I would give them some kudos however, for again showing Steve being somewhat less than superhuman - he was showing more symptoms than the younger members of the team and struggled with his heroic antics. I think in light of AOL's needs (and I hope also for the sake of believability in the show - although that has never bothered them before!) they are at least trying to develop his character appropriately.

It does strike me as odd though that, in light of Scott Caan's contract for reduced commitment, the writers didn't plan ahead better -surely a combination of this infection (and possibly some complications if necessary) and next week's 'incident' (not wanting to spoil anyone here) would have been the perfect opportunity to write him out, credibly, for the necessary four weeks (or whatever it is?) while he recovers or is away for physio appointments etc. It just takes a bit of joined up thinking doesn't it?

But then, I'm a fan of any and all hurt!Danny so I'm not complaining too much!

Scott's time off isn't (at least technically) a certain number of weeks. It's for a certain number of episodes in a season: For every 5 episodes Alex appears in per season, Scott gets to miss 1 episode. That takes into account, in my opinion, both that Alex appears in every episode per season, & that he doesn't/might not (& we know he missed 2 H50 eps--220 & 221--plus the NCIS LA half of the crossover from H50 S2, when he needed the time off to get off the pain meds he'd been taking after racking up a bunch of injuries doing stunts he probably should've let his stunt double do instead; not to mention his being so dedicated to the show, he hasn't wanted to take the necessary time off from shooting to get his injuries treated properly--at least if it meant being sidelined for weeks or months due to surgery). 

I'm pretty sure that Alex's absence was before Scott had his contract renegotiated to the deal where Scott gets to miss 1 episode for every 5 Alex does. Scott started missing eps in either S3 or S4, as I remember. But I think it was S3, 'cause his daughter was born at the beginning of S4 & I'm pretty sure Scott was already missing eps by the time she was born. Also, I think (I would hope, at least) that Scott's contractually missed episodes aren't counted as sick days if they're not supposed to be--& I would think the negotiated time off is meant for him to be with his loved ones &, where applicable, have time to pursue any or all of his other creative passions. I would hope if he gets an injury bad enough to have him miss an episode or more, that gets counted separately from his "1 ep off for every 5 of Alex's" deal. Otherwise, I don't think it's fair to Scott.

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

There were so many plot holes. In addition to the one already mentioned: how did Adam No-Longer-Yakuza cause the Swiss bank to cough up the name of the supposed buyer? And who confiscated the cell-phones and sabotaged the radio? How exactly did that one vial in the middle of a padded suitcase break? How did people figure out Marko was to blame? 

Presumably the Noshimori name is still golden in business circles.

Vials can break in padding.  Esp if Marco banged the case climbing up the ladder to get onto the yacht.

I wondered abt the cell phones, and presume that Monique threw them overboard, but they should've had a throw-away line abt them.

Marco could've confessed or apologized, but that was one GLARING plot hole, I agree.

22 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I'm also calling BS on Adam being able to bypass the toughest banking laws in the world in twenty minutes. That's not connections, it's a superpower.

True -- it took Hannah on Designated Survivor almost a full day!

13 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

No, it's not likely everyone in a small group on a boat/ship would get sick.

Unless they all had the fish!  (Surely, that can't be right!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/12/2017 at 5:42 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Scott's contractually missed episodes aren't counted as sick days if they're not supposed to be--& I would think the negotiated time off is meant for him to be with his loved ones &, where applicable, have time to pursue any or all of his other creative passions. I would hope if he gets an injury bad enough to have him miss an episode or more, that gets counted separately from his "1 ep off for every 5 of Alex's" deal. Otherwise, I don't think it's fair to Scott.

Ah, I think we may have crossed our wires here - I was actually thinking of the potential of hypothetical physio appointments/recuperation time that the character would need after this weeks infection and the previously mentioned 'incident' of next week as a believable means to give the actor his contracted time off the show. I certainly agree that if any of the cast genuinely needs time for real life issues then that should be in addition to whatever absences are agreed in their contract. But thanks, as always, for your considered reply. :)

Yeah I wondered about that and then I just gave up and finally chalked it up to the anti-rejection meds that he's supposedly no longer taking, the radiation poisoning and the meds he's taking for that giving him super human strength and a magnificent immune system. 

It was ebola mixed with some other more common virus. It's possible that Steve had more exotic immunizations during his times in the Navy  so he was immune to whatever the ebola was mixed with, but his anti-rejection drugs (if he was taking them) might actually have helped. It's not ebola that kills you directly, it is the response of your immune system.  The immune system over-reacts and starts doing more damage than the disease. So, with his immune system suppressed by anti-rejection drugs, Steve could have felt fewer effects from the disease. 

Diseases don't always take out the obvious victim. The Spanish Flu killed a disproportionate number of young adults. Plus, Steve is magical. 

• Love 1