Shi'Ann: "Listen" by Beyoncé

Team Blake
Chloe: "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler
Keisha: "It Matters to Me" by Faith Hill
Red: "The Dance" by Garth Brooks

Make of these what you will.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 1

I love A Case of You and I assume Addison will be amazing. That one guy who did it gave one of my fave Voice performances ever though so that'll be hard to live up to for me. I don't know Noah's song. Ugh at Total Eclipse of the Heart for Chloe. So boring. I'm excited for Janice's song. I like What About Us, but it's overplayed so I don't know. I've decided I like Brooke though so we'll see.

The rest are meh, but I don't care about any of the other performers anyway so.

I saw a promo for tonight's ep that said that tonight's songs were 'chosen by [us].' Was there some kind of vote for these songs? 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I saw a promo for tonight's ep that said that tonight's songs were 'chosen by [us].' Was there some kind of vote for these songs? 

Fans were allowed to pick songs for them from a provided list on the app for The Voice.  The song that got the most picks for each artist ended up being the one they wound up doing.

I need every piece of Janice Freeman's look. She was serving some serious Grace Jones realness. I'm intrigued by her voice, but I'm not sure if I love it. I wouldn't mind listening to an album by her to explore it further. But, DAMN, I could devour her style all day long. 

I've enjoyed Brook's voice the most so far. 

Sigh. Noah. He is so good he annoys me.

"Listen" is my least favorite song from "Dreamgirls". This rendition did not change my opinion.

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 3

Were they running a special on silver eye makeup in LA last week?  I see Janice's Grace Jones eyes and Chloe's sad clown silver tears.  As for the voices, I still like Davon, but "Chicken Fried" was pretty good, too.

Chloe was my favorite tonight. I liked Brooke too but I'm not sure the arrangement helped her.

I think tonight was a rough night vocally for Team Jennifer. Shi'Ann was squeaking a lot, Davon felt like he was slightly off time with the music, and Noah wasn't bad but he bored me. I'm also a little confused by Noah because it looked like he was the only artist who got to choose from two songs.

• Love 4

Well, this was fun.  This episode is, IMO, an example of why fans should be allowed to pick the songs for artists more often.  They clearly have more of an idea of whom they are than their coaches do sometimes.

So the performances:

Janice: I liked this a lot.  The band definitely made efforts to drown her out at some points, at least, but she fought through it and won.  Thus, I thought that she delivered an amazing performance.  Surprisingly, and amazing rock song with some good R&B stylings thrown in.  Very impressive and great way to start the night.

Red: Hmm.  Wasn't bad.  Wasn't good, either, though.  Just kind of . . . meh.  Very boring, like all of his other past performances, even though his vocals were decently solid, overall.  But it's a Garth song, so it'll sound like hotcakes, unfortunately.

Shi'Ann: Ugh.  Just . . . ugh!  Here's the thing.  If she were three years older and better-trained, then this could've been an out-of-the-park performance.  Unfortunately, she's too young for this song.  Pitch was an issue.  Enunciation was an issue.  Her lower register was actually pretty solid.  So was her middle register.  But the song pushed her to her limits, overall, and it showed in her higher register.  I think she might still make it, but it'll take a very loyal fanbase.

Adam: Oh, dear.  Torn about this one.  On one hand, Tom Petty should've been an excellent choice for him on paper.  But between speeding up the song and piping up the band to a much louder volume than necessary, this just came off as a total mess.  Lots of mumbling, off-key notes, and he sounded out of breath at points.  I think he's heading for the bottom again, despite Adam's pleas.

Brooke: I was worried for a minute when I heard that she was doing a Pink song.  But I thought she acquitted herself quite well.  Pink is a big-voiced belter just like Brooke is, so this fit her like a glove.  And I like the added tribal feel she included.  IMO, she killed this one.  Loved the vocals, the production, her stage presence, and everything.  Good job, Brooke.  I think she'll make it through tomorrow if the Native American portion of the viewing audience remains strong and loyal to her.

Davon: A Whitney song was obvious for him since he's been open about being a fan of hers.  And I do think that he tackled and crushed it very well.  It didn't beat Whitney, obviously, but it was still competent rendition that I enjoyed.

Ashland: This was actually pretty decent, considering she hasn't really lived up to her Blind.  I was curious about how she'd taken on a Zac Brown song, but she did it so competently and so well.  Nothing mind-blowing about it.  Just a good performance, all in all.

Addison: She really had to fight it out with Madi Davis from season nine and Lauren Duski from season twelve to see if she could top their versions.  I don't know if she topped them, but she certainly measured up.  Her vocals were perfect and flawless just like they always are, so I have no beef with her singing.  I'm just not sure whether or not I liked the arrangement that went with it.  Still, Addison did a great job this week, and I think she'll still be here next week.

Keisha: Vocally, I thought she brought it this week.  I actually liked it.  But I didn't love it, because . . . despite her best efforts, she still didn't sound country in doing so.  I think she has a good, strong voice, but she needs to focus on actually sounding country, especially since she was doing a Faith Hill song, and she is one of the queens of country.  Wasn't terrible, but she needs to just get over this R&B/soul/gospel/country blend and just go straight-up country.

Noah: This . . . was . . . awesome!  Probably his best performance so far!  Definitely a good call to do a stripped-down version of the song, because it worked wonders for the arrangement and really helped to showcase his vocals.  I got chills just listening to them.  Still do.  Amazing performance, Noah!  Definitely think you've got nothing to worry about tomorrow!

Chloe: She seemed not to like her own performance, but honestly, that was a wonderful rendition of an otherwise overdone song.  Way more solid than last week (even though I liked that one, as well).  I got chills from her just like I did from Noah!  Excellent way to end the night.  Good work, Chloe.

On a side note, I loved Miley's team all waiting for her to celebrate her birthday with her, just like Aaron Gibson and Ali Caldwell were waiting to do in season eleven, too.

Good episode from nearly everyone involved.  I think Adam will hit the bottom again tomorrow, but I think it'll be Red who joins him there, as I think everyone has fanbases that are much bigger and more loyal and supportive than his.

2 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I think tonight was a rough night vocally for Team Jennifer.

Matter of opinion, I guess.  I thought Noah was perfection, as always, and that Davon took up the challenge of a popular Whitney song well.  Shi'Ann, though . . . I agree.

2 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I'm also a little confused by Noah because it looked like he was the only artist who got to choose from two songs.

Davon got to choose, too.  His choices were between "I Have Nothing" and Charlie Puth's "Attention."  I think he should've gone with the latter since that would've been more unexpected from him, but he was still quite good on this one.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Star Aristille said:

Noah: This . . . was . . . awesome!  Probably his best performance so far!  Definitely a good call to do a stripped-down version of the song, because it worked wonders for the arrangement and really helped to showcase his vocals.  I got chills just listening to them.  Still do.  Amazing performance, Noah!  Definitely think you've got nothing to worry about tomorrow!

Absolutely loved Noah's performance, and his studio version as well.  I am enjoying his musicality and passion for performing - I have no idea each week what he's going to do.  Each performance is different and creative, he's clearly challenging himself each week and excited to share his interpretations.  The orchestration on his Electric Love is just gorgeous and apparently all him.  I am so entertained by him. 

I hope that Noah will make it to the finale, selfishly to maximize the number of songs I'll get from him.  He doesn't seem to be strategic about winning - he's not picking the best known songs and he's really stretching with his re-working of them.  I don't know if his stylings will have broad appeal to Voice voters - seems to me people tend to vote for the familiar, and Noah's approach is fearless and the opposite of familiar.

16 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Jennifer sure gets on one's nerves.

I mute the whole show except for the actual performances!

Edited by soamused
  • Love 4

I missed Janice and Red's songs. (And I left the room during Adam's and Ashland's.)

For the performers I did watch, here are my opinions:

Shi'Ann: Did that song have actual words? Because all I heard were vague vowel sounds for the most part. I couldn't tell you what the lyrics were. I'd suggest she start working on her enunciation. She might be good for her age (15), but she's not "The Voice."

Brooke: One of the best of the night. Not a song I love, but she did well with it.

Davon: I generally enjoy listening to Davon, and he was able to pull off the range and vocal requirements of this song, so kudos to him! However, he did not seem to me to be connected to the lyrics of the song. My impression (right or wrong) is that perhaps he's generally a happy guy and does not relate to some of the yearning (almost desperation) in the song. For example, I found his delivery seriously lacking on this verse: 

Don't make me close one more door
I don't want to hurt anymore
Stay in my arms if you dare
Or must I imagine you there
Don't walk away from me
I have nothing, nothing, nothing
If I don't have you... 

Addison: Nice voice, pretty girl, good performance.

Keisha:  Just okay for me. 

Noah: Weak lower register vocals overpowered by the band. He is definitely cute and has that sensitive/sexy stage presence going on, but man, that song did not play to his strengths in my opinion. I kept wishing he'd have sung it in a slightly higher key--maybe that would have helped. Honestly, it confounds me that everyone thinks that performance was amazing. Noah has serious potential, but could we call a spade a spade and say he's not quite there yet?

Chloe: Another one who might have benefited from starting in a higher key. I like her voice, and this was a good song choice for her, but she's no Bonnie Tyler. The performance had some good moments, but I was a little underwhelmed, which I was not expecting.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Star Aristille said:

Janice: I liked this a lot.  The band definitely made efforts to drown her out at soem points, at least, but she fought through it and won.

I felt this way, too. The band was definitely too loud in the beginning, but, she came through. I thought her entire performance was wonderfully relaxed and confident. Being first is not in her favor, but I hope she is voted through so that I can hear more from her. 

• Love 1

I'm rooting for Noah (because he's a local kid from a couple cities over from mine) and Davon because he just seems so joyful and energetic. And also, I do like his voice.

I tune out during anything (usually modern) country related. I just can't get into it. The songs feel like they'll never end. 

• Love 5

Current results right now, with MST bumps and PST bumps of the first-half performers:

1. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
3. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "A Case of You"
11. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "The Dance"
22. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "I Have Nothing"
25. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Electric Love"
33. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "What about Us?"
36. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "It Matters to Me"
72. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
80. Janice Freeman - Team Miley: "Shine"
93. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
102. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

PST bumps coming a bit later.

Still, I think the fact that several people are already this high are showing just how much everyone stepped up this week.

Ooh!  PST bumps are already in!

Results as of now:

2. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "A Case of You"
11. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "The Dance"
18. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "I Have Nothing"
22. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Electric Love"
29. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "What about Us?"
30. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "It Matters to Me"
70. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
76. Janice Freeman - Team Miley: "Shine"
90. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
99. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

Obviously, being at the top, Chloe can only remain constant.  Red also remains constant.  But Addison, Davon, Noah, Brooke, Keisha, Ashland, Janice, Adam, and Shi'Ann (who now enters the top one-hundred) all either nose or jump up.

Miley, if you're looking at these results, as well . . . you fucked up.  Granted, you had no way of knowing how popular Chloe or Addison would be, or how they'd sell, but still . . . you fucked up, and royally so.  You kept Karli over Addison because she was more "grounded," and then don't even keep her up to this round.  And you keep Ashland over Chloe because you're that desperate to beat Blake with a country artist, and then . . . she performs this well.

• Love 2

Another update:

10. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "The Dance"
17. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Electric Love"
26. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "It Matters to Me"
27. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "What about Us?"
67. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
73. Janice Freeman - Team Miley: "Shine"
82. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
93. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

Red moves up into multiplier territory, but if they can keep up the gains overnight and into the morning, Noah and Davon can get them, too.  Speaking of whom, Noah moves up enough to nose past Davon, and Keisha noses up past Brooke, who also moves up, along with Ashland, Janice, Adam, and Shi'Ann.  Chloe and Addison remain constant in multiplier territory, and Red just noses into it.  No one drops just yet.

• Love 3

Chloe's and Addison's performances tonight again made people buy multiple of their past performances and bring them again into the top 200. Noah also has a past performance into the top 200.  I agree with Star Aristille about what Miley must be thinking.  And it must be doubly hard in that it is the two old boys Blake and Adam who currently have the top two contenders.  

A few of the others could still come along and win if they pick the right songs and Chloe and Addison stumble in that department.  But they are sitting pretty for now, that's for sure.

• Love 1

Another update:

16. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Electric Love"
17. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "I Have Nothing"
26. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "It Matters to Me"
67. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
72. Janice Freeman - Team Miley: "Shine"
79. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
93. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

Noah, Davon, Janice, and Adam all nose up.  Chloe and Addison remain constant, of course, based on their positions, and Red, Keisha, Brooke, Ashland, and Shi'Ann stay the same, too.

• Love 1

Another update:

17. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "I Have Nothing"
28. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "It Matters to Me"
68. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
80. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
92. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

Surprisingly, Shi'Ann is the only one to nose up.  Chloe, Addison, Red, Noah, Davon, Brooke, and Janice all remain constant.  Keisha drops down below Brooke, and Ashland and Adam also fall.

Edited by Star Aristille

Okay.  Final update from me now that I'm home from work and about to turn in:

68. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
81. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
92. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

Not much change.  No one moved up.  Chloe, Addison, Red, Noah, Brooke, Keisha, Ashland, Janice, and Shi'Ann have all remained constant.  But Davon and Adam have dropped a bit.

• Love 2

I’ve tried to get the Noah thing and stay open-minded but I don’t get it nor care. Not a fan of most. Chloe is my favorite as she’s just real raw and genuine. Love her voice and personality. Addison is good but I prefer Chloe. I’m also a Janice fan. And just cause so many sound alike to me this season and because I enjoy his performances, unlike most here, I hope Red sticks around for a while. 

• Love 3

Here is a snippet from an interview from Parade with Chloe

What was the process you went through when you made the decision to audition for The Voice?

"This is going to sound crazy, but I didn’t audition for the show. There are so many ways to get involved with The Voice. There is the open call, which tons of people are from. Of the people that you saw that made it past the Blinds, the majority are from open call auditions. They went through every round before you see the Blinds. But weirdly enough, I received a phone call. I have been playing in Nashville for, like, four years and someone saw me at a show and they got my contact info and called and they were like, “Do you want to audition for The Voice? We will fly you out,” so that is what I did."

My question is , what is the difference between open call and blind audition?Insert other media

I'm thisclose to being out for the season.  Last night's performance by Shi'Ann was possibly one of the worst I've ever heard in 13 seasons of watching the show.  So bad it could have passed for a joke audition on the old American Idol.  The only thing that could have made it worse for me would be for her to receive a 4-judge standing O, then get extravagant praise from the judges and even from Carson D.  Oh wait...that happened.  There's no excuse or justification in this for a show that's theoretically about the VOICE.

Davon is the only contestant left who, for me, has a great technical voice and excellent dynamics.  Unfortunately, he's on Jennifer's team, and her only interest as a coach seems to be in making any big-voiced contestant become her mini me (Noah is sooo lucky he's not a belter).  Watching the segment where Davon's given the two song picks from his fans, it sure looked to me like JHud is the one who made the decision of the beyond-played out, obvious and boring choice of the Whitney song.  It looked like Davon passively deferred to her, though I saw no enthusiam.  Just because you can sing a Whitney song doesn't mean you should.  Davon brought nothing new to this cover version, simply a faithful recreation of the original; one lacking in artistry, joy, or interest in giving this performance.  Now I don't care if he goes home. 

That leaves the remaining 9 contestants, none of whom interest me in the slightest.  So disappointed.  

• Love 2

Okay.  I'm up and about and hear to post what the sales were like at closing:

9. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "The Dance"
17. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Electric Love"
19. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "I Have Nothing"
72. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "Chicken Fried"
74. Janice Freeman - Team Miley: "Shine"
84. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "American Girl"
95. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Listen"

Only Red nosed up, and it cemented him getting the multiplier.  Chloe and Addison are also getting it, of course, and they remained constant, as did Brooke and Keisha.  Noah, Davon, Ashland, Janice, Adam, and Shi'Ann all dropped in the final hours.

But remember that sales are only a portion of the votes (and lately, not always the best indicator of how someone's being felt by the audience).  The actual Website and app votes are going to tell the real story.

1 hour ago, SnarkyTart said:

I'm thisclose to being out for the season.

We'll survive.

6 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

We'll survive.

Is that the royal "we" lol?  In that case, I'm glad all of you are enjoying your show more than I am.  Back in its early days, it was one of the best things on my TV.  Now it's just kinda pitiful.

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 2

I was a bit underwhelmed for much of the show ... until Chloe showed up and slayed.  She's now given my two favorite performances of the season.

Not that I didn't like all other performances.   Addison was good as usual, but unfortunately I don't think it quite matched up to what Madi Davis and James Wolpert did with that song in previous seasons.  I also enjoyed Janice's performance to start the show. 

I will need to listen to Brooke again, because I was thrown a bit by how different her version was compared to Pink.  The same is true for Noah.  I give him credit for coming up with that stripped down version of "Electric Love", but I'm still not sure how much I actually liked it.  I certainly don't think it was his best of the season (I much prefer his "In the Air".

I do think this was Red's best vocal of the season, but that wasn't enough to raise him above the middle of the pack.  Part of the problem is that it paled in comparison to Lauren Duski's sublime version of that song from last season.

The biggest disappointment of the night for me was Davon.  I completely agree with the following assessment of his performance, only I would add that even his vocals weren't up to par with some of his previous performances:

5 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Just because you can sing a Whitney song doesn't mean you should.  Davon brought nothing new to this cover version, simply a faithful recreation of the original; one lacking in artistry, joy, or interest in giving this performance.  Now I don't care if he goes home.

I generally agree with the final iTunes rankings, except that I would switch Janice with Davon, as well as Brooke with Red.

*Edited to add that at one point last night, all of Chloe's individual performances from the season so far were in the iTunes Top 100 at the same time.  I can't remember that ever happening before.  She may not be getting so many raves here, but clearly there are a lot of people out there who agree with me about her.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, InfiniteMystery said:

I’ve tried to get the Noah thing and stay open-minded but I don’t get it nor care. Not a fan of most. Chloe is my favorite as she’s just real raw and genuine. Love her voice and personality. Addison is good but I prefer Chloe. I’m also a Janice fan. And just cause so many sound alike to me this season and because I enjoy his performances, unlike most here, I hope Red sticks around for a while. 

I'm not a big Red fan (to say the least), but I have to agree with you. He sings older country, which I enjoy, and he's been sounding decent on it so I don't mind him staying for a couple more weeks. Also, as someone who keeps pointing out his minimal guitar skills--a big 'thanks!" to Red.  he took his hands completely off the guitar and the nice acoustic accompaniment continued, unaffected, without him.  I wouldn't care that much except for all the really good guitarists who haven't been allowed to play, while for Red, it's really just so fake. . I get the comfort-thing, but it's still  annoying.

One of the women should win, but it will probably be Noah. They're pushing the heartthrob thing pretty hard.

Anyone know what the instrument that was played during Addison's song is:

5a1e522c590be_Whatisthis.JPG.f406296f351eed5fdc583285eef5d4bb.JPG

On 11/27/2017 at 7:12 PM, TiredMe said:

Addison is my favorite. What a pure talent that girl is.

I agree, but my wife wants to hear something upbeat, with a bit more energy, but looking at performances before The Voice, she really doesn't do those type of songs.  I personally think she has the best voice on the show, far and away, but I too would like to see a bit more range in her repertoire.

6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This is my favorite season in a very long time, possibly ever. I haven't been this invested in multiple contestants ever. And the ones I like are actually popular, which virtually never happens!

True dat.  Addison, Janice, Noah, Kiesha and I've even come around on Chloe.

Let's get to the performances:

Janice: I love her, and loved this song. 

Red: Garth Brooks is "old" country?  "Old" country is Hank Williams, Sr and Johnny Cash, if you please.  And I never thought I'd say this about Brooks, but his version was a hell of a lot better than Red's.  Ugh.  Can he go home... PLEASE????

Shi'Ann: Her wort performance yet, by far.  Ouch!

Adam: What classic is Adam going to muck up tonight?  "American Girl" by Tom Petty.  I'm glad Petty is already dead -- this would have killed him.  Total snooze-fest!

Brooke: P!nk is one of my favorite singers (I could listen to "Try, Try, Try" several times per day!)  But Brooke nailed it.  Very awesome.

Davon: I liked this.  A little high for my taste but quite nice.

Ashland: Booooorrrrring!

Addison: I love her voice.  She can do no wrong.

Keisha: I like the mix of R&B and country, and Keisha is the singer who can meld them.

Noah: Awesome as usual.

Chloe: I'd been on the fence about her, but she brought it tonight.

• Love 2

I'm not in the target demo for this show, so I guess it doesn't matter that I haven't enjoyed Chloe's live performances. Her rendition of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was cold and theatrical, as though she were in a rock opera. There was zero emotional connection to the song, and her performance lacked the passion of Bonnie Tyler's original. 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I'm not in the target demo for this show, so I guess it doesn't matter that I haven't enjoyed Chloe's live performances. He rendition of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was cold and theatrical, as though she were in a rock opera. There was zero emotional connection to the song, and her performance lacked the passion of Bonnie Tyler's original. 

Just goes to show how different people see things differently.  I thought it was Chloe's clear emotional connection to the song as much as her vocals that made this performance so effective.

I'd also like to say something about the concept of the target demo for this show.  While early on The Voice did make an effort to appeal to younger viewers, it seems to me that in recent seasons they've resigned themselves to focusing on their core demographic, which as you can see in the show's ratings is mostly white suburban or rural middle-aged or older females.  You can see this in the evolution of song selection towards old classics (or newer songs that sound like they could be old classics) and the way they've given up on trying to promote contestants that are even remotely edgy or current. 

This is also why I would not expect this show to produce many successful non-country artists.   While Melanie Martinez might seem like an exception to this, her success came after she ran as far and fast as possible away from the show (which is why you have this strange situation in which The Voice's most commercially successful contestant has never returned to perform on the show).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

She did? Why? Just because she'd thought there'd be a stigma or was there bad blood somewhere?

Though she mostly avoids talking about her experience on The Voice, she has insisted that she holds no grudges against the show or Adam.  It's just that she realized that being tied too closely to a reality show would not help further her career as a very edgy Alternative/Indie Pop artist.  She also didn't want any expectations that her music would be at all similar to the type of music she did while on The Voice.   In fact, she turned down offers from labels that wanted to try to exploit her Voice background, holding out until she found one that would giver her complete artistic control over both her music and videos.

You can't really argue with her strategy considering that most of her large fan base didn't watch her on The Voice, but rather were introduced to her through her videos and by word of mouth.  This is why her initial singles didn't do any better on the charts than most Voice contestants post show, but eventually several of them went platinum or gold.

• Love 2