Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: S.W.A.T.

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Hondo is seriously disturbing me. He’s a leader of a swat team. Lots of guns, and physical strength. He’s in a position of authority. He’s supposed to act responsibly no matter if it’s personal  or not. Exactly where is the guy that benched Street for his irresponsible actions? 

Second - thankfully we didn’t have to hear about polyandry tonight.  I know someone personally who destroyed their previously monagamous marriage experimenting with that. Divorce followed.  

16 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

It's men in power who tell women it's their fault, and it's the legal system for making the woman PROVE it.

It isn't only men who tell women it's their fault.  A well known political figure has been accused of routinely discrediting those who laid charges against her husband and others, of sexually motivates assaults.  The problem is a system that allows and legitimizes lawyers systematically attacking the victim, and a set of social mores that supports the idea that a woman's attire or behaviour can make an attack "understandable".  I personally believe a woman should be able to walk into a bar pisteradically drunk and stark naked, mumbling "I'm really horny!" and not be subjected to assault.  (I don't recommend them doing it, obviously, but they should be able to.)

As for making the women PROVE it, the fact is, I don't imagine rapists often operate in areas with plenty of witnesses, which makes incontrovertible proof difficult.  (But it makes it hard for someone to say it was consensual after you gouge out their eye.  Just saying.)  However, we live in a society wherein anyone accused of a crime, no matter how minor or how heinous, is innocent until PROVEN guilty.  And heaven help us all the day this ceases to be the case.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

I misspoke. I absolutely agree that women can be just as guilty of this as men. It's really sad.

Again, poorly worded. What I meant was that if someone says they're a victim of assault, and they show up all bruised and battered, people take it seriously.

But when  woman says she was r*ped, she's put through the wringer about what she was wearing, etc.

So I don't mean proving it in a court of law (TOTALLY agree) but more in the court of public opinion.

I think Hondo in his capacity as a S.W.A.T. team leader, doesn't veer into his darker impulses. First, he's usually in control. Second, he seems to take his job seriously enough. 

But who knows. I guess we'll realize he's gone over the edge if they're on a call, and he goes too far with "subduing" a suspect. That may be his tipping point.

He is SWAT 24/7/365. There are no off days. That was partly what this episode was all about. Luca gets that house so cheap because his mere presence in the neighborhood is going to help deter crime, etc.  Hondos off duty actions reflect on the department.  Assaulting someone off duty will land him in jail and off the police force. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

But when  woman says she was r*ped, she's put through the wringer about what she was wearing, etc.

Which is complete bullshit, of course.  Because no matter what she was wearing, it shouldn't excuse the behaviour of any attacker.  Any such question should result in "Objection! Irrelevant!" because it is irrelevant.  A judge who allows such testimony to be heard is only supporting the fallacious concept that a woman's demeanour can be grounds for assault.

I quite understand Hondo's reaction here, but I believe he's mis-played his hand.  Approaching Shawn Ashmore directly and then threatening him, and (stupidest of all) telling him he was in Hondo's sights and warning him about the coffe cup/DNA...  Utterly dumb.  Frankly, Hondo is a muscle-bound idiot who thinks with his biceps/small head.  But the character has been cast that way, and has only been able to get away with it for 1½ seasons because the writers arrange for all his stupid actions to work out for the best.

10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

He is SWAT 24/7/365. There are no off days. That was partly what this episode was all about. Luca gets that house so cheap because his mere presence in the neighborhood is going to help deter crime, etc.  Hondos off duty actions reflect on the department.  Assaulting someone off duty will land him in jail and off the police force. 

I was surprised when Deacon went to the 24/7 SWAT and nothing else thing for Hondo and Luca. So how do Luca and Street deal with the halfway old school neighborhood hood whose family moved in with the white flight?

With Cop Rock's Peter Onaorati going from main cast to reoccurring this year this episode sure did say last hurrah. You would think as a Sergeant he could go turn in his assault weapon and behind a desk if money was the issue. But then I remember the real life North Hollywood bank shootout and seeing an old guy SWAT officer, who was often a redshirt SWAT in the movies, in workout shorts following the armored car to rescue the wounded. I especially remember him in Harrison Ford's Clear and Present Danger dying in the Colombian street ambush

I'm wondering if they left enough room for Shawn Ashmore to NOT be the rapist -- and I would prefer that actually.  Hondo is going on the slimmest of "evidence" (his sister pointing him out after being roofied chief among them) and making this one suspect the only focus for the crimes.  I know that in most police procedurals the most minuscule "evidence" is enough to get the criminal to confess, but it would be a nice switch if Hondo was unleashing his rage on the wrong guy.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:38 PM, Netfoot said:

we live in a society wherein anyone accused of a crime, no matter how minor or how heinous, is innocent until PROVEN guilty.  And heaven help us all the day this ceases to be the case.

[Off-topic rant deleted]

b-sound.jpg

Nice way to end off the fall schedule.

It kind of did meander a little bit...and the show is starting to get repetitive with their military baddies. I also have to think Rebecca Cates truly was lucky to be alive, since Hollywood tends to have people shot like her be goners, so Cates surviving has all the hallmarks of "the writer wanted her too" (although Hicks having a love interest might be fun, though I don't see the chemistry).

However, once again, it's the characters that shone and shone through. Among the main cast, Luca and Deac truly brought out their camaraderie, with Kenny Johnson and Jay Harrington (respectively) playing all the right notes. I also thought Laura James (who played Hicks' daughter) did pretty well, and I thought there may be a few sparks with her and Street. It's always a treat seeing Bre Blair, no matter how limited her character actually is. Nikivia Divonne also really sold Nia Wells for me this week, even if she had little material.

I also quite enjoyed that the bad guys kept the plot simple. Steal DNA evidence, blackmail other criminals and make some money off it. Nice and easy to grasp...no needing a flow chart just to understand the plot...and it worked brilliantly.

Oh, and how could I forget Kareen Grimes (Little Red)? "Getting all your girls the same present is a rookie mistake". Noted, my friend. Noted, my friend.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the episode and I really like Deacon and his family, although the cynic in me thinks that if you don't have a lot of money don't keep having kids (yes, I know that they are Catholic, but still...).  One thing that disappointed me was when Luca gave Deacon the cash at the end.  I had hoped that he would divert the crew that had been working on his own house repairs to help repair the water damage at Deacon's house.  Deacon would probably be more okay with accepting the help that way instead of the cash.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 5

Deacon had money until the overtime dried up.  Since overtime was pretty steady before that, they got used to it.  Lots of people in the real world do that too. Then his wife appears to be on bed rest.  ( he had someone take the kids to school and he was also in charge of getting them ready). So an unexpected high risk pregnancy. Then the $30,000 pipe issue.  Who wouldn’t be broke if the insurance only paid $13,000? 

I didn’t like how Nia became offensive about the evidence being stolen. She called it ‘lost’ as if the evidence technicians were at fault and misplaced it. She also went overboard about how the missing DNA would jeopardize cases. I’m pretty sure every law enforcement person understands that without her telling them over and over. However, she did redeem herself at the end with a nice show of support for Hondo. 

I was also hoping that Luca would just go pay the contractor and arrange for the work to get completed.   Street just can’t help himself, can he? He gets warned off the boss’s daughter so that’s thw first place he goes. 

I am going to reserve judgement on the boss’s new relationship. It’s hard to judge chemistry when she spent most of the episode unconscious and they had both been hiding their feelings about each other. 

Edited by mythoughtis
On 12/7/2018 at 7:59 AM, BooksRule said:

I enjoyed the episode and I really like Deacon and his family, although the cynic in me thinks that if you don't have a lot of money don't keep having kids (yes, I know that they are Catholic, but still...).  One thing that disappointed me was when Luca gave Deacon the cash at the end.  I had hoped that he would divert the crew that had been working on his own house repairs to help repair the water damage at Deacon's house.  Deacon would probably be more okay with accepting the help that way instead of the cash.

I also thought diverting that crew was where the story was going regarding Deacon and Luca. I agree about the number of kids you mentioned Catholic or not. I hope the wife isn't going to have another medical emergency besides giving birth when it's time for that baby to arrive.

• Love 2

I spent the whole ep with an impending sense of doom that they were telegraphing something bad happening to Deacon.  I’m still concerned because he’s been “and Jay Harrington” since the beginning.

Shemar Moore can wear that uniform more often.  No one’s complaining.

To prepare for that new episode (Thursday, January 3, 2019), here's the promo for "School":

It's all about bad memories for the SWAT team, who went through this six years ago where seven students died, and that still haunts our dear Hondo.

The promo teases that appearing in this episode is Meredith Monroe, who may be best known for her time in Dawson's Creek but I best remember her as Haley Hotchner in Criminal Minds. Good to see her and fellow alum Shemar Moore reunite in this episode.

• Love 1

Episode 02.11, "School"

xsoft-a-sound.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UoWhSBDFC

"Tonight on a 'Very Special SWAT'..."

Usually, when an episode like this is done, it's contrived...silly...syrupy...over the top...awkward....whatever adjective you want to use to describe an episode where the author really feels like "making a point" and making sure you're hit over the head with it, because the writing can feel so out of place from what the show had before and can be so heavy-handed that it's alienating.

Then there's the added issue that Hollywood just hates harming kids, so its "school shooting" episodes are never realistic or are done with the shooting as a backstory instead of being "the main story" just so the writers can get around having to actually shoot a kid.

Instead, S.W.A.T. didn't worry about that...they still remembered it is all about telling a story and, though, again, we didn't see any actual kids getting shot, this show didn't shy away from any of the original moment, and wasn't afraid to have Lila bleeding from her stomach.

R.I.P....gotta say, Deacon's Lila saying she was going to draw a picture for the dead Lila's parents just broke me.

Yes, a man can cry...

Anyway, it was pure joy to watch all the emotions of Hondo, Deacon, Luca and Chris having to relive that day, and Meredith Monroe shined as the mother of the deceased shooter. It was also great to see Buck again and see how the old team operated...safe to say, Buck taught Hondo well.

I also appreciated that the case wasn't too straightforward- even though the twist of Vince Franz targeting his old school wasn't much of one, it still did enough to ramp up the tension.

Oh, and the PSA at the end did just enough. Well done all around.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Usually, when an episode like this is done, it's contrived...silly...syrupy...over the top...awkward....whatever adjective you want to use to describe an episode where the author really feels like "making a point" and making sure you're hit over the head with it, because the writing can feel so out of place from what the show had before and can be so heavy-handed that it's alienating.

That was my fear too but I thought the show handled this subject well.

It was nice to see Buck in action.

8 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

R.I.P....gotta say, Deacon's Lila saying she was going to draw a picture for the dead Lila's parents just broke me.

This scene and the moment between Hondo and the deceased shooter's mother really got me.

• Love 3

That was a little too real for entertainment. And it was a disturbing reminder that the vast majority of the time, we aren't going to get a forewarning of a school shooting. 

It was a very well done episode for what it was. It's just that it was kind of sickening to be reminded that this happens on a regular basis. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Xantar said:

That was a little too real for entertainment. And it was a disturbing reminder that the vast majority of the time, we aren't going to get a forewarning of a school shooting. 

It was a very well done episode for what it was. It's just that it was kind of sickening to be reminded that this happens on a regular basis. 

This episode didn’t bother me... but I’ve been bothered by other episodes or other shows use of real situations for entertainment. I understand your point exactly. 

For example, I cannot sit thru episodes of shows that attempt to incorporate Sept 11, 2001 into their storylines. Especially if they are trying to actually set the story inside the World Trade Center. 

A shooter depending upon the US Post Office to be exactly on time, oh my.

Ripped from the headlines  throwback scenes with the school resource officer waiting on back up. Even if in LA since an ex LAPD Captain took over and they are "police" patrolling the neighborhoods along with on campus cops and not "resource officers". But worse of all was SWAT gets there 5 to 7 minutes before the first patrol car can show up.

Since Sandy Hook every LAPD officer visits a school sometime during his normal patrol to back up the school police. In this situation yes they all go to schools

5 hours ago, Raja said:

A shooter depending upon the US Post Office to be exactly on time, oh my.

Ripped from the headlines  throwback scenes with the school resource officer waiting on back up. Even if in LA since an ex LAPD Captain took over and they are "police" patrolling the neighborhoods along with on campus cops and not "resource officers". But worse of all was SWAT gets there 5 to 7 minutes before the first patrol car can show up.

Since Sandy Hook every LAPD officer visits a school sometime during his normal patrol to back up the school police. In this situation yes they all go to schools

One of the most unrealistic scenes: In the flashback SWAT was at their headquarters when called. They had to get geared up, get to the vehicles and then get to the school. Yet when they get there, the kids are just then running out of the school with the resource officer. Really? The kids just milled  around inside until SWAT got there? 

I wonder if they should film the scene where Deacon gives Lila's parents the picture his daughter made for them. I'm not sure how it could fit in future episodes, but I think it would be a great, heartwarming scene.

• Love 1

Since this is a single thread show. The biggest problem the show has is the SWAT does everything and gets there first. from cops in a gunfight needing help and nobody shows up until SWZT arrives to a school shooting where SWAT arrives 5 minutes before the first local patrol unit can get to the scenes. 

To the flashback scenes of the School episode I do remember Officer Alonso wearing a K-9  patch. In real life LAPD Metro Division K-9 search teams look just as armored and armed as their SWAT division mates. As opposed to this world where patrol officers stand outside as the Metro Division Commander joins with a K-9 officer to assist SWAT. If this was only 6 years ago show time how could the newer SWAT officers not know about the previous school shooting in their city.? For the topic the Law & Order series finale did it better.

This week's episode wasn't bad, but I'm guessing that we haven't seen the last of Raul, since he made a point of saying to Jessica that he wasn't finished with her and that she would pay.  So, either he'll escape from jail/prison and come after her or his girlfriend will (since I would assume that she will now have to leave that big house and all of the nice things that he was buying for her since he's been captured--so she will want revenge).   I need work done in both of my bathrooms--I want Hondo to come over and take care of it for me. 

• Love 3

It would be so marvelous if Jessica and Hondo could be openly together.  That David guy is no Hondo.

I told my husband that Hondo should have subtly flexed every time he talked to David.

Jessica looked beyond fabulous in Mexico.  Holy hell...the makeup, the clothes and ESPECIALLY the hair.  I would totally watch a buddy cop show with Jessica and Chris as the leads.

• Love 1

Episode 02.12, "Los Huesos"

"Now for something totally different...

It's the Exotic Episode! Where our team goes to a foreign country whose nationals have created problems in their homeland. Tonight's destination- La Grande Mexico!"

I believe this was shot on location in Mexico City because the sets sure reminded me of Mexico (I went to Mexicali in 2014...was propositioned by a Mexican hooker who told me I could have her for $25...I backed out thinking too much could go wrong).

Anyway...the sets were lovely, with the exotic feel really delivering a newer, fresher look to the series. The Spanish dialogue, while expected, was distracting, since I spent half the episode reading the captions instead of following the action.

Still, it was a captivating episode and really brought a new side to Jessica Cortez. She was always a bit of badass since Day 1, but tonight she really put it on full display. No wonder Hondo fell in love...I think I did too.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jessica looked beyond fabulous in Mexico.  Holy hell...the makeup, the clothes and ESPECIALLY the hair.  I would totally watch a buddy cop show with Jessica and Chris as the leads.

Count me in too. Throw in Raul as a gang informant and Romero as the big boss and you've got yourself a series. Maybe we throw in Street as a recurring character so that Chris has a love interest too (I know she's got the whole thing with Kira...but she's more interesting with Street).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

Episode 02.12, "Los Huesos"

"Now for something totally different...

It's the Exotic Episode! Where our team goes to a foreign country whose nationals have created problems in their homeland. Tonight's destination- La Grande Mexico!"

I believe this was shot on location in Mexico City because the sets sure reminded me of Mexico (I went to Mexicali in 2014...was propositioned by a Mexican hooker who told me I could have her for $25...I backed out thinking too much could go wrong).

Anyway...the sets were lovely, with the exotic feel really delivering a newer, fresher look to the series. The Spanish dialogue, while expected, was distracting, since I spent half the episode reading the captions instead of following the action.

Still, it was a captivating episode and really brought a new side to Jessica Cortez. She was always a bit of badass since Day 1, but tonight she really put it on full display. No wonder Hondo fell in love...I think I did too.

Count me in too. Throw in Raul as a gang informant and Romero as the big boss and you've got yourself a series. Maybe we throw in Street as a recurring character so that Chris has a love interest too (I know she's got the whole thing with Kira...but she's more interesting with Street).

At first, I was against throwing Street/Chris together, but the way they have made Street more mature, I’m for it. Think they do have more chemistry then Chris with the Throple. Love how darn worried Street was for the girls,especially for Chris,

Definitely, likes this episode, just to showcase the badassery of the women. Stephanie Sigman got me in Narcos, and she is even sexier now, especially in that undercover look.  

I do agree, with the poster that SwAT getting their first all the time is eye rolling, but the writers have acknowledged that and basically, just do it for drama purposes. Other then that, I think the show continues to improve, in my eyes. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

At first, I was against throwing Street/Chris together, but the way they have made Street more mature, I’m for it. Think they do have more chemistry then Chris with the Throple. Love how darn worried Street was for the girls,especially for Chris,

Definitely, likes this episode, just to showcase the badassery of the women. Stephanie Sigman got me in Narcos, and she is even sexier now, especially in that undercover look.  

I do agree, with the poster that SwAT getting their first all the time is eye rolling, but the writers have acknowledged that and basically, just do it for drama purposes. Other then that, I think the show continues to improve, in my eyes. 

Chris is Street's big sister, full stop, do not pass go,...

SWAT being the first one the scene wasn't as agregious in the Mexican undercover episode as in the past. But,

they already established that SWAT isn't LA ideal only with Street transferring in from Long Beach PD  and for the first time in TV history the Feds turn things over to the locals instead of using their very own Hostage Rescue Team.

I can do without Debbie Allen spouting her Grey's Anatomy voice (I hate her condescending attitude in everything she plays). The last scene with Mama and Baby was unnecessary, and as a matter of fact, IT SUCKED.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2019 at 10:52 AM, madmaverick said:

I don't mind a show showcasing officers on patrol with the drama and pathos that comes from the mundane and not so mundane, and not just gunfire all the time.

For me, one of the best plots was Nolan and Bishop trying to find a place for the homeless woman and her child.  

On 1/11/2019 at 4:35 PM, mojoween said:

It would be so marvelous if Jessica and Hondo could be openly together.  

I **much** prefer Hondo with Nia.  She gets him (and is gorgeous) and hopefully when he's ready for her, she can come back.  Hondo and Jessica can't work because she's his boss.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I **much** prefer Hondo with Nia.  She gets him (and is gorgeous) and hopefully when he's ready for her, she can come back.

Agreed. Nia is also the only one I could believe would keep a strong guy like Hondo on his toes. No one else seems capable of giving him much of a challenge.

• Love 1

I’m watching Season 1 of Flashpoint again (before it got kinda Hollywood) and it’s crazy how much better it is than SWAT.  Not everything is shootouts and explosions, and I really like that the SRU is activated when called in by first responders instead of being first responders.

• Love 3
On 1/6/2019 at 3:05 PM, helpmerhonda said:

I'm a teacher, and that was really hard for me to watch. 

I teach high school, but it wasn’t hard for me to watch. It was frustrating for me to watch because I know our schools aren’t even staffed with security guards (forget the part-time School Resource Officer) who can commandeer the students. It’s beyond ridiculous. 

Lastly, before I get on a soapbox, when I’ve gone to Admin/Counselors about students who make me worry about XYZ, they don’t take me seriously. I’m an English teacher; it’s my job to read every word they compose and NOTICE the shady stuff. And you know when I send an e-mail to their other teachers to check in with them, I’m the only one who has something to report.

I really wish it was different, but I don’t even know how or when that would begin to happen.

14 hours ago, Bridget said:

I teach high school, but it wasn’t hard for me to watch. It was frustrating for me to watch because I know our schools aren’t even staffed with security guards (forget the part-time School Resource Officer) who can commandeer the students. It’s beyond ridiculous. 

Lastly, before I get on a soapbox, when I’ve gone to Admin/Counselors about students who make me worry about XYZ, they don’t take me seriously. I’m an English teacher; it’s my job to read every word they compose and NOTICE the shady stuff. And you know when I send an e-mail to their other teachers to check in with them, I’m the only one who has something to report.

I really wish it was different, but I don’t even know how or when that would begin to happen.

I'm so sorry that your school doesn't take your professional opinion seriously. That's unacceptable. I wish I knew what advice to give you to fix this. 

I am also an English teacher, so I know exactly what you mean.  Part of our job is to catch warning signs that appear in their writing. 

It was hard for me because I feel like I am in an area that thinks something like this will never happen to us. I am in a building with 3200+ students and one resource officer. I can't even get one of those contraptions to hold my door closed because the door opens out. 

And it was hard for me because I hate that we live in a society where we have to have a plan for shit like this. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, helpmerhonda said:

I am also an English teacher, so I know exactly what you mean.  Part of our job is to catch warning signs that appear in their writing.

Not that I wish to defend your administrators, but my guess is that their line of thinking is, "how do you know these are signs of potential danger and not just an indication he likes macabre stuff"? I mean, I write some pretty twisted stuff myself but I have no plans to rape and pillage and murder...it's more about escapism, for me.

2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Not that I wish to defend your administrators, but my guess is that their line of thinking is, "how do you know these are signs of potential danger and not just an indication he likes macabre stuff"? I mean, I write some pretty twisted stuff myself but I have no plans to rape and pillage and murder...it's more about escapism, for me.

When good educators spend as much time with students as we do, especially as an English teacher, you get a true sense of who they are. We notice everything, including what they wear, how they respond and who they hang out with. Also, their peers are pretty good at letting us know about anything they see, hear or witness. They will screen shot a shady SnapChat post and show it to me. It takes a while to build that trust though, but it’s there. At the end of the day, there are so many missed opportunities to help students and it saddens me.

I was physically assaulted by an 18 year old male student in Nov 2016. It was a very atypical situation overall,  but when I eventually sat down with my principal (TWO weeks after it happened), he said to me: “I met with Insert Student Name Here and he didn’t strike me as a student with malicious intent (CA’s minimum requirement to determine assault). Also, you should not have touched his backpack.” 

The student ended up with a 3 day suspension and transferred to a new English class.

Meanwhile, I had to use my own vacation time to attend WorkComp doc appts. I finally put my foot down and said I wanted to see a real doctor. New doctor was livid that I had been teaching for seven months with such severe nerve damage. I ended up having surgery (an ulnar nerve transposition) in March of 2018 and I still can’t hold my cell phone in my R hand without fatigue setting in. I’ve been out on disability through the district, but because I was only on a temporary contract, I’ve been paying $700/month for COBRA health coverage for 18 months. Switching to Obamacare as of 2/1. $150 cheaper AND I get dental!

Many administrators dismiss everything because it requires them to remember what it was like to be in the classroom. They also struggle (or refuse) to understand how students have changed in the last 5-10 years. The whole system is screwed up, in my professional and personal opinion.

"Encore", 01-31-2019.

It continues to impress me how great the main cast work together and how great the characterization is on this show. Hondo apologizing to his team after ripping into them was great, and Patrick St. Esprit and Jay Harrington really sold the moment where Deacon gets the expected "don't ignore your family" speech, especially since we know Hicks is a widower.

Only knock I'll say is, though Cinque's group was great at keeping SWAT on their toes, they're still a bit too one-dimensional. Something more than just "we're anti-capitalists" would be nice.

Deacon’s continued $ troubles and the stress it causes him and his family is bumming me out. It’s a total downer. Hopefully the budget cuts will stop and he can start to get out from under it. No offense but he and his might want to start using birth control-it’s a lot cheaper than raising a zillion kids....

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

No offense but he and his might want to start using birth control-it’s a lot cheaper than raising a zillion kids....

True...but he's Catholic, so the only form of birth control is abstinence and...well, it'd be pretty hard for me to resist Annie and I'm sure the ladies would say it's hard to resist Deacon. :p

27 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

True...but he's Catholic, so the only form of birth control is abstinence and...well, it'd be pretty hard for me to resist Annie and I'm sure the ladies would say it's hard to resist Deacon. :p

True-I couldn’t resist Deacon. And a lot of Catholics use birth control. :p

Let’s hope the OT gets approved again and he will be able to bring in more $ and relieve some stress. Financial stress is the worst. 

Edited by hookedontv
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Sigh. It would be difficult, but seriously, if you're some overtime away from losing your house, maybe you need to think of the family you already have and making them homeless.

No, no I understand...I just made a corny attempt at light-hearted humour.

I do believe they're going with the storyline where Deacon has to learn to swallow his pride- either Annie gets to work or Hicks gives him some money. Doubt they'll resolve the "budget cuts" storyline until the season ends, and even there, maybe the storyline is what allows Cinque's crew to get away- again- although that happening may just be another groaner.

My hope with Deacon is that they do not- read, do not- go down the road where Deacon's family troubles get him divorced. TV shows do that too often and it'd be nice to see a family work through their issues instead of giving up for the umpteenth time.

• Love 1

Every time they focus on Deacon I'm terrified some terrible fate is going to befall him.  I mean, him forgetting Annie’s due date has to mean something, unless it was just setting up Chris as godmother.

James Harrison (arm wrestler for LAFD) was an absolute menace as a defensive end in the NFL.  And while he has impressive arms and pecs, he was smaller than the running back (bespectacled LAFD Captain) and the linebacker (free throw shooter Jessica burned).  I always thought he was much taller than that.  He played like it, anyways.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Every time they focus on Deacon I'm terrified some terrible fate is going to befall him.  I mean, him forgetting Annie’s due date has to mean something, unless it was just setting up Chris as godmother.

James Harrison (arm wrestler for LAFD) was an absolute menace as a defensive end in the NFL.  And while he has impressive arms and pecs, he was smaller than the running back (bespectacled LAFD Captain) and the linebacker (free throw shooter Jessica burned).  I always thought he was much taller than that.  He played like it, anyways.

You went halfway. The LAFD Chief/running back was 58 year old Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson. While the linebacker was a young, 47 Willie McGinest. However in the modern NFL outside linebackers and defensive ends are nearly interchangeable

I would have commented on this but the forums were down when the episode finished...so I'll just say this. The case was kind of "blah" and not very well developed (though Street and Chris were hilarious going undercover on the plane) which sucked some of the air out of this episode.

The Badge vs. Badge Challenge was kind of fun, though a bit predictable. What I did appreciate was that the two sides really just looked at it as good fun and nobody got too worked up about losing. It was amazing to see so much macho banter and trash talking and none of it was cringe-worthy (well, except maybe McGinest's flirting with Jessica) or truly mean-spirited- they just kept it light-hearted and fun. Which is the way it should be- sports should be fun, not "life or death".

• Love 1

It wasn't the Badge vs Badge portion that took me out but rather the other comic banter going on while they were hunting for a nuke. I was expecting the happy music that the NCIS franchise pumps in when they are also in as serious an operation with mass casualties being the result of failure.

b-sound.jpg

(S02.E15, "Fallen")

Though the case had too many clues lifted out of thin air and was a bit predictable (I knew David Wong would turn up as a baddie), the show did very well to sell what was happening to the cops and how it affected their families and, ultimately, the people whom they wrongly framed. It was a great, well-balanced approach that struck all the right notes- it just needed a bit more coherent storytelling.

Oh, and Deacon again with the fakeout over Annie's baby...man, does he know how to build tension before that happy reveal. I really did think Annie or the baby was a goner, so well done Deac.

The bad Rampart CRASH Glassell Park team  was almost comically diverse, beyond color blind casting. Chris "He's the reason I don't date cops"  I guess they are signalling that against my advice big sister Chris will go there with little brother Street