Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: S.W.A.T.

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Raja said:

The bad Rampart CRASH Glassell Park team  was almost comically diverse, beyond color blind casting. Chris "He's the reason I don't date cops"  I guess they are signalling that against my advice big sister Chris will go there with little brother Street

Ahh man really.. Haven't seen the episode but for the longest I've been hoping they wouldn't do this.. Its not that I even dislike street... I like him and he's grown from the beginning of the show.. But its the trope of the hot shot white rookie who doesn't listen to the rules who gets the girls.. I've seen it way too many times.. And Chris seems way smarter than to get involved with someone so immature... But I guess this falls under the trope of a woman knowing better but trying to fix the broken bad boy.... Smh

This show makes me feel like I’m constantly getting a lecture on diversity and police- community relations.  This weeks episode threw In the corrupt police officers just to really drive home the point.    I watch scripted TV to be entertained with  a good storyline.  I watch the news, or documentaries to be educated. 

Please, just make the cast diverse and stop with the additional lectures. The  dialogue between characters regarding that is tortured. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Episode 02.16, "Pride" (Aired: February 21, 2019)

letter-c.png

Really thought this was an uneven episode that had no idea what direction it wanted to go in.

Did they want to do a war between right wing extremists and left wing extremists? Did they want to do an episode where a left wing extremist takes a right winger hostage and they have to save the right winger, even if they may not want to? Did they want to do an episode of righties attacking lefties?

Or was this going to be the episode where Deacon finally learns he's not indestructible?

So many different things to wrap my head around tonight...clearly, this episode had no focus.

I was initially pumped about this episode because it appeared to be an episode where a left wing extremist attacks a right winger and the right winger is the one who needs saving. It's the kind of "rock and a hard place" situation that just makes for some great storytelling. On the one hand, you have a guy you hate and, in your thoughts, you'd love to put a bullet through his head. On the other...SWAT are the law and they have to save everyone, even those they may not like to save, because that's what the law says.

That, and you get to explore questions about whether or not "the good guys" really are "good guys" if they're so cavalier about the lives of "the other side" and if the left wing can be just as hate-filled as the right-wing (yes, they can, but that's a debate for another thread).

Oh, and how the left wing hostage taker played into the right winger's attempts to paint himself as a martyr, and how the left winger killing him would prove him right.

Talk about your conflicts.

Instead, we got...this.

I don't know what to say.

I'll make a few side points.

• Great emotional turns from Hicks and his son. They really nailed what was otherwise a rather soapy drama.
  • Poor Street and his mom. I'd say I hope she's OK but it doesn't look like it.
  • Wish they did more with the LGTB shooting club. They could have been interesting.
  • Kind of figured Deacon's issues would come to a head tonight...they laid it on so thick, and now he'll be out of action for quite some time. I figure he'll be a desk jockey for a few episodes before he goes back on to the field, to really hit his troubles home. That said, they've really done well selling Deacon's pride this season.
  • Love 1

Deacon sure managed to put his  foot in it.  How can he be trusted to lead his own team with such poor impulse control. His daughter would have been fine  waiting two weeks. Because that was the established treatment, not merely the insurance co being annoying.    Had she started going downhill, there’s a protocol to appeal. Or accept Luca’s offer. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Deacon sure managed to put his  foot in it.  How can he be trusted to lead his own team with such poor impulse control. His daughter would have been fine  waiting two weeks. Because that was the established treatment, not merely the insurance co being annoying.    Had she started going downhill, there’s a protocol to appeal. Or accept Luca’s offer. 

Like the loanshark said.. There's a reason pride is a sin...  Deacon is a good mix of a guy who was raised I would say pretty conservatively when it comes to religion and gender roles probably even racial to an extent .. Even his calling the lgbtq shooters anger political.. But he's cognizant of the changing world around him and he's always trying to be open-minded... As someone raised totally opposite of him ( mixed race progressive.. For the most part secular.. Tho not atheist..  I can respect his journey... Plus Jay Harrington kinda looks like my dad so I'm always rooting for him

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Like the loanshark said.. There's a reason pride is a sin...  Deacon is a good mix of a guy who was raised I would say pretty conservatively when it comes to religion and gender roles probably even racial to an extent .. Even his calling the lgbtq shooters anger political.. But he's cognizant of the changing world around him and he's always trying to be open-minded... As someone raised totally opposite of him ( mixed race progressive.. For the most part secular.. Tho not atheist..  I can respect his journey... Plus Jay Harrington kinda looks like my dad so I'm always rooting for him

What would be interesting is if the loan shark just lets it go with a normal or great terms repayment schedule. An assistant leader of one of many SWAT teams wouldn't be my first choice for a man inside to protect a loan shark business. After all the Deacon could turn back to trust in Jesus at any moment and trying to turn a cop in his position would not be worth the risk.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, mythoughtis said:

This show makes me feel like I’m constantly getting a lecture on diversity and police- community relations.  This weeks episode threw In the corrupt police officers just to really drive home the point.

This is from last week, but I waqnt to respond.  I feel it would have ben far more interesting if Wong and the other guys weren't so obviously corrupt.  Maybe Chris was right not to push it -- these guys went up to the edge of the law, but not past it.  Also, this is more a story from about 20 years back, before LA came under the consent decree, and the LAPD was forced to crack down on cops like these.  Not saying it couldn't happen, just that it's far less likely since civilian oversight of the PD.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, Danielg342 said:

Wish they did more with the LGTB shooting club. They could have been interesting.

No reason for them to be a "one and done".  They've had other characters come back, so the gun club maight factor into a later episode.

(edited)

Episode 2.17, "Jack"

b-sound.jpg

Thought it was slow to get going but once it did it worked well.

I'm thinking Deacon's money issues won't end with that detective doing a simple favour for his loan shark. That needs a bigger payoff. Glad the show alluded to a "miracle cure" that other shows use only to pull the rug from under us.

The case was interesting...using expensive cars to hide drugs. Novel approach, though I bet it's happened before in L.A.

I also gotta give the show a nod for using Italians as villains...it's a break from the normal Latinos, East Asians, blacks and white supremacists that the show goes through.

Plus I am Italian...so there. 😛

Heartbroken for Darryl, expecting to be taken back by his mother only for her boyfriend to ruin things. Looks like Hondo's got himself a child to raise, in a roundabout kind of way.

Oh, and good episode for Street...he and Whip had quite the camaraderie.

EDIT- Is it just me or did Mumford's name suddenly become "Jack" in this one? The credits list him as "Jeff Mumford", and I'm sure the show has referred to him as such before...*shrug*

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 1

I'm assuming Deacon will be up for promotion to team leader since he was next in line and passed over for Hondo.   I'm sure it comes with a pay increases which would solve his money crunch.   But the stuff with the loan shark will come out.  They'll find some way to keep him from losing his job but it will kill his chances of ever being promoted.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm assuming Deacon will be up for promotion to team leader since he was next in line and passed over for Hondo.   I'm sure it comes with a pay increases which would solve his money crunch.   But the stuff with the loan shark will come out.  They'll find some way to keep him from losing his job but it will kill his chances of ever being promoted.  

I do believe that they are both Police Sergeant II rank.  Like many special forces type teams where all the troops are at the same pay grade and rank being the operational leader doesn't necessarily mean making more money.

20 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Heartbroken for Darryl, expecting to be taken back by his mother only for her boyfriend to ruin things. Looks like Hondo's got himself a child to raise, in a roundabout kind of way.

My heart hurt for Darryl. I wanted to reach through the screen and give him a hug.

The Deacon stuff is not going to end well I fear.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

1) I'm pretty sure that all those things he promised to do will come to fruition, because eventually, everyone is going to find out about this. It's going to happen. Because those favors are not going to get any easier.

2) IMDB also lists him as Jeff, so "Jack" most definitely must be a nickname.

1) I hope that's the story and not the predictable "Annie and the kids get kidnapped and used as debt collection", though if the show follows the lead of "Vendetta" and remembers to bench Deacon, it could be interesting.

2) IMDB isn't always accurate, and they're likely going off press releases. I wonder if, on air, Mumford has ever been called "Jeff". I guess we'll see how CBS treats this going forward.

20 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

EDIT- Is it just me or did Mumford's name suddenly become "Jack" in this one? The credits list him as "Jeff Mumford", and I'm sure the show has referred to him as such before...*shrug*

Every TV site I could think of lists him as Jeff Mumford.

I wanted to feel at least kind of bad for Deacon but I don't. I don't care if Deacon and his family are catholic when it relates to the number of children they have. With her having had such serious health issues it would have been proactive to try and not have any more kids so soon. The attitude Deacon got when the guy he got the "loan" from told him if he helped with the situation in his Mom's neighborhood he'd give him an extension made me roll my eyes. I know he was trying to make it clear to the guy that there would be no more favors but the way he reacted was a bit much considering the debt he owes for that under the table "loan". Deacon's lies are another reason I don't feel bad for him. I do feel bad for the kids and his wife. One of them needs to do something in the future to permanently prevent anymore pregnancies though.

• Love 3

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, (or if anyone noticed), but this version of S. W. A. T. has already surpassed (in terms of episodes) the 1975-76 show.  That version had 37 total episodes, last weeks episode was #39 for the current version.  Way to go!  🙂

• Love 7

I don't feel sorry for Deac either.  It's his primitive tthoughts on how a man "provides" that got him into this mess -- his stupid pride at not being able to let friends help or "let" his wife work (if I were Annie, I'd make it clear that it's not his decision to make).  He had so many "outs" and threw them all away.  The result is on him alone.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I don't feel sorry for Deac either.  It's his primitive tthoughts on how a man "provides" that got him into this mess -- his stupid pride at not being able to let friends help or "let" his wife work (if I were Annie, I'd make it clear that it's not his decision to make).  He had so many "outs" and threw them all away.  The result is on him alone.

I'd say 90% him and 10% his wife.. She's a fully functional adult.. She has at least an idea of what their financial situation is... If a woman in my family decided she needed a job no amount of "manly pride" posturing is stopping her from getting one... Deac's attitude is outdated and counterproductive but his wife just going with it doesn't help much either 

• Love 4
On 3/17/2019 at 3:21 AM, jhlipton said:

(if I were Annie, I'd make it clear that it's not his decision to make)

Perhaps Annie is just as traditional as Deacon is and thus feels it's most important to be a housewife. She certainly doesn't feel forced into the arrangement.

I do think they'll come back to it...Annie mentioning work means the show has at least thought of that possibility.

6 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Perhaps Annie is just as traditional as Deacon is and thus feels it's most important to be a housewife. She certainly doesn't feel forced into the arrangement.

She brought it up and he strongly shot it down, just as he shot down all other offers to help.

4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

She brought it up and he strongly shot it down, just as he shot down all other offers to help.

I realize it's a matter of interpretation but it sounded to me that Deacon shot down Annie's suggestion as more of a show of overconfidence and arrogance than to "remind her of her place". Again, I don't get the feeling Annie is being forced to live in this arrangement- she wanted to live this way.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:45 PM, Danielg342 said:

I realize it's a matter of interpretation but it sounded to me that Deacon shot down Annie's suggestion as more of a show of overconfidence and arrogance than to "remind her of her place". Again, I don't get the feeling Annie is being forced to live in this arrangement- she wanted to live this way.

I certainly don't think that Deac was "reminding Annie of her place".  I just wanted to point out that we know that Annie is willing (and possibly even happy) to go back to work, but Deac's pride stopped her (because she likes the roles they play in the marriage).

7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I certainly don't think that Deac was "reminding Annie of her place".  I just wanted to point out that we know that Annie is willing (and possibly even happy) to go back to work, but Deac's pride stopped her (because she likes the roles they play in the marriage).

Ah, OK. I think we're on the same page.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, transitfan said:

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, (or if anyone noticed), but this version of S. W. A. T. has already surpassed (in terms of episodes) the 1975-76 show.  That version had 37 total episodes, last weeks episode was #39 for the current version.  Way to go!  🙂

Good catch. Congrats Shemar Moore on your accomplishment...he's earned it. Here's hoping we get S3 as well.

• Love 2

Episode 02.18, "Cash Flow"

xsoft-a-sound.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UoWhSBDFC

Really good, well-paced, straightforward episode. Just fun for an hour, and that's all you ask of this show.

Spidey sense tells me we're still not done with that loan shark. Kind of fearing for Annie and the kids now.

Christopher Matthew Cook did very well as Maddox. He didn't have to do much but he was still an imposing force on screen anyway and didn't just rely on his hefty frame to do it.

R.I.P. Champ...time for you to run around in that doggie park in the sky. Tough to see the animals go. Also gotta wonder how this will affect Chris' relationship- Street is right, this isn't something you hide from a significant other, or others in this case.

• Love 4

Pretty good episode, but "Marine CID"?!?  Really?  On a show on the same network that airs a show called NCIS, which deals with Navy AND USMC crime?!!? 🙄  I know it's not the same producers, but could have been an opportunity for a NCIS-LA crossover.  Of course, the whole point was Hondo working with his former Marine seargant, which would require an enlisted Marine.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, transitfan said:

Pretty good episode, but "Marine CID"?!?  Really?  On a show on the same network that airs a show called NCIS, which deals with Navy AND USMC crime?!!? 🙄  I know it's not the same producers, but could have been an opportunity for a NCIS-LA crossover.  Of course, the whole point was Hondo working with his former Marine seargant, which would require an enlisted Marine.

We have federal law enforcement agencies on top of federal law enforcement agencies and USMC CID is one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Criminal_Investigation_Division

97 people can get blown away on this show but the death of a dog is what can get me sobbing.

Although Champ needs to work on his acting skills because he wasn’t doing a very good job as a sick doggo.  I want to skritch his face!

I am so glad Deacon threw the money back in the fire.  I also feel like we absolutely have not seen the last of that loan shark.

• Love 4

Episode 02.19 "Invisible"

"You son of a b***".

Don't worry, Mumford- you're not crying, I'm crying. Wait...uh...

I guess it's official- he's Jack Mumford. Glad to see him in action, and he got a great sendoff. He may not have wanted a party, but I can't imagine a better party than the one he got.

A great way to move on and hit the road, Jack.

(You know I had to...)

As for the other storyline- Hondo letting Darryl stay with him was the right move. Darryl needs someone who will actually care about him and give him love and support- not a mechanical "robot family" that may keep him out of trouble but never pay attention to what he really needs.

Besides, if it means more of Snarky Mommy Hondo, I'm all in. 🙂

• Love 4

Goddamnit, they got me at the end. That was a great send-off. I was spending the whole episode scared that Mumford was going to bite it on his last mission, but fortunately the writers are better than that. 

The actor playing Darryl was pitch perfect. The dawning realization on his face when Hondo said, "I want to do it" was so naturally played that I forgot that he's not a real person. I hope other people in Hollywood are paying attention. 

• Love 3

I was disappointed in the 5 minute ‘ party’.  Even at my office job, there’s usually an unofficial get together at a local  watering hole, or an open house cake/punch time in the department  in the afternoon.  It was a nice touch to bring in his first save, though. 

I was expecting Mama Hondo to be the official foster parent- so nice touch to see Hondo do it. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Whatever rumor you may have heard, that was not me sitting there crying my eyes out during Mumford's retirement party.

Yup...just like me...we were completely 100% stoic throughout. 100%...

• Love 2

Episode 02.20 "Rocket Fuel"

Oh Darryl...at least he didn't touch the contraband...he's learning it seems.

...but...

Oh Annie...she was just a little too honest, now wasn't she? I can understand she probably wants to raise her kids with the same Catholic values she has but...she could have been far more diplomatic about it with Chris.

Who finally made out with Street. They might have been drunk but they finally crossed the line.

Speaking of Street...glad he had some pity for the guy who bought his credit card. Don't think this is the last we'll see about his mother, though.

As for the case- straightforward but fun and well-paced. Wonder who the rapper was because that was actually pretty good for a song made just for the episode. Glad Tan got payback for his cousin.

• Love 1

Annie was a little too blunt with Chris. It got to the point where she hurt my feelings lol. She came across as cold and judgmental

It took 2 years but Street and Chris finally locked lips.

I still want Hondo and Jessica to get back together.

• Love 3

Plz plz plz show.. Let them realize that it was a drunken mistake.. Or Chris subconsciously trying to torpedo her new situation.. Anything other than... Hotshot but broken bad-boy gets fixed by the lurve of a good woman

5 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Plz plz plz show.. Let them realize that it was a drunken mistake.. Or Chris subconsciously trying to torpedo her new situation.. Anything other than... Hotshot but broken bad-boy gets fixed by the lurve of a good woman

What if it was the broken bad girl (Chris) gets fixed by Street's love? The inverse is rare on TV.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

What if it was the broken bad girl (Chris) gets fixed by Street's love? The inverse is rare on TV.

Don't want that either... I like both the characters... But if before an episode of this show aired I had seen a cast photo... I would've guessed that they'd hook street and Chris up... And I generally abhor relationships on shows that seem pre-ordained... Besides for most of the show its been Chris trying to fix street.. So while the inverse scenario could be interesting.. Its not what's been happening on the show...  On another note.. Screw Annie.. Basically taking back Godmotherhood 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

This might explain why the guy who played the rapper (Chris Lee) did such a good job and knew how to play piano:

Original Cast Member - Hamilton Chicago Marquis Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson (2018) Hamilton Touring Group debut in Tempe, AZ on February 9, 2018 as Marquis Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson

Ah this is where I have seen him. I have seen HamiltonChi way too many times. 

1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

Ah this is where I have seen him. I have seen HamiltonChi way too many times. 

He's also on Legacies in the CW playing a teen vampire leader.... He used his musical talents unban episode or two there as well

To be fair to Annie, I'd take an issue with anyone having that type of conversation with my 6 year old child without giving me some fair warning. Even though I am for equality, I also for framing things in way young children can understand them. I thought it was naive of Chris to just assume everyone would have positive feelings toward her relationship---in the real world, for as many yeahs you'd get as many boo's. Her drunken kiss with Street just reaffirmed why that relationship is a ridiculous storyline anyway. 

Otherwise, decent episode. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

To be fair to Annie, I'd take an issue with anyone having that type of conversation with my 6 year old child without giving me some fair warning. Even though I am for equality, I also for framing things in way young children can understand them. I thought it was naive of Chris to just assume everyone would have positive feelings toward her relationship---in the real world, for as many yeahs you'd get as many boo's. Her drunken kiss with Street just reaffirmed why that relationship is a ridiculous storyline anyway. 

Otherwise, decent episode. 

Chris was in a tough spot... I guess in that situation maybe you don't say anything... Or she could said.. Well for me this is who I love... Did the lil girl ask if she was in love with a boy and a girl at the same time.. Or just in general.. Like Can you ( a woman)  love another woman... I can't remember... Either way Annie basically calling it wrong and immoral would got me heated.. Chris is better than me... 

There was a “some images may be disturbing to viewers” warning before this week’s SEAL Team but they should have had it here too because my eyes my eyes!

I saw Chris and Street coming and it was as squicky as I thought it was going to be.  I like them both.  As FRIENDS.

On the other hand, beautiful Jessica and her wavy hair can get back together with Hondo any damn time.

No one can judgmentally chew a piece of fried dough quite like Debbie Allen.

All this time I thought Deacon’s real name was, well, Deacon.  Did we always know it was David Kay?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

All this time I thought Deacon’s real name was, well, Deacon.  Did we always know it was David Kay?

I think so or that just may be a memory from the legacy 70's show

With the old drug gangsters being "One-Niners" I was thinking they can't be linking SWAT to The Shield/Sons of Anarchy fictional universe. I do understand why this show would avoid real gang identifications.

Did PCP make a comeback in the late 90's when Hondo came onto the LAPD? It remains a drug linked to the late 70s before the crack epidemic hit in my memory 

On 4/26/2019 at 11:51 PM, Raja said:

I think so or that just may be a memory from the legacy 70's show

Could be.  I checked IMDb, and the cast listing for the 1975 show lists the character played by Rod Perry as Sergeant David 'Deacon' Kay.  OTOH, the 2003 movie, lists LL Cool J's character as Deacon "Deke" Kay.  Interesting that Deacon's character went froma Sgt in 1975 to regular officer in 2003 and back to Sgt. now.  Then again, Hondo was a Lt. in 1975, and a Sgt. thereafter.  Of course, 1975 SWAT was a fictional department (LCPD), while the others were portraying actual LAPD, so maybe that more accurately reflects the makeup of real life LAPD SWAT teams.

• Love 1