Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: The Inheritance

Nick and Hank are called to investigate a double homicide, and quickly learn the victims were from a special section of the Verrat tasked with finding rare objects pertaining to the Wesen world. Trubel gets involved with a mysterious father-and-son tandem that crossed the country in a desperate attempt to deliver invaluable cargo to "the Portland Grimm." Meanwhile, Captain Renard begins to grow suspicious of Adalind's recent behavior and quietly decides to put extra eyes on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQcBm9nqFr0

(edited)

Another great episode. Teresa's arrival has been a huge plus for the show. Nick's life has become much more exciting having a young unruly Grimm around. I hope she will become a regular. I still don't believe for a second that the writers have a clue what the big secret is that the Grimm Knights' hid, but it is good they have not completely forgotten about that part of the mytharc.

As for Adalind, don't care! I just hope that the season finale is the end of her. As usual, Renard is useless and contributes nothing to the show. At least, Wu got some plain clothes fun.

From the previews, the wedding promises to be action packed. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

How many times did they say the word Trouble in the opening scene.  Dear lord.  And they all called her that with a straight face.  Not one person has balked at that.

I thought this was a little slow to get going.  I know it's all set up, within this episode and for the next, but I still wanted them to get on with it already.    Then I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with the son, but I guess we was just a "normal" person.  Feel bad that he lost his father in such strange circumstances,

• Love 2

How many times did they say the word Trouble in the opening scene.  Dear lord.  And they all called her that with a straight face.  Not one person has balked at that.

Seriously. I like Trouble (every time I see how it's spelled I want to pronounce it TrueBell) but enough is enough.

I really liked the idea the son wasn't a Grimm. Bet he grew up with some unknown sense of disappointing his father, even though he thought his father was crazy. Left me wondering if he felt releaved that his father wasn't crazy or if he felt even more of a disappointment because he realized his father had a true reason to bypass him with his "inheritence".

• Love 4
And they all called her that with a straight face.

I had the impression she was happy with the nickname. Some may see it as oh insulting/degrading/whatever, but she would not be the first person who adopted a denigrating nickname, with pride.

• Love 1

At least we can now see why she's called Trouble. I am now expecting Rosalee to eventually perform some herbaceous naming ceremony for her, chanting: ...for your name shall be Trouble no more, but from this time forward, I dub thee Theresa the Awesome. Hopefully they won't then start calling her Awesome.

Adalind. Argh. You writers. I get it. A leopard cannot change it's spots, and a hexenbiest will always cast evil spells, but this is TV. Why not de-biest her again and let her join the Scooby gang? We've got all sorts of wessen criminals and the Verat. We really don't need another villain. Sigh. At least it looks like from the finale trailer that this latest spell will at least be uncovered soon, but, no doubt, we'll get the usual: So Sorry. To be Continued....

Monroe's pearl of wisdom: Wedding are supposes to be unbearably stressful, so you only want to do it once.

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh good lord, really? Another Adalind/Juliet spell thing. Geez, Grimm just when I thought you'd figured out how stupid that whole thing was you go and do it again?  BOO!

Best line in the history of the show so far:

Renard to Adalind:  "If I didn't know you better, I'd be in love with you".  Oh lordy, I seriously laughed for like 5 minutes at that. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 6

To me, the Trubel stuff was a bright spark in an interminable yawn fest of boring. I would be so happy if Adalind and Renard died next episode and I never had to see their pointless, endless storylines again.

I know it's a two-part but we wasted like 10 minutes with Josh and his Dad talking about definitely needing to see Nick as soon as possible but not actually driving to see Nick. And I just know next episode will be a long drawn out piece of nothing ending in a cliffhanger.

• Love 2

I liked that Juliette, while seeming to get where T. was coming from, cheerfully insisted on doing something a bit normal.  I don't see Nick and Juliette's being a Haus for Wayward Grimms, but if anyone not Grimm can bond with T., I think it could be Juliette. Or Rosalee, what with the shared history of Grimms and Wesen.  maybe through Juliette, T. can understand that there can be a balance in doing your Grimm thing and being "normal."

Adalind? So much to be disappointed about. Calling up the clinic with a cat complaint? Then you're out to do something to Nick/Renard (my bet is mainly Renard) through Juliette. Again, some more? *yawn* Then again, most of your time last episode was not twigging to the fact that you perform blood magic  and never thought on your own to spill a drop or two on your mom's book to open it. How are you a lawyer?

At least Sean was suspicious after the cut hand. Too bad he didn't have the priest or someone else tail Adalind. I am Team Keep Wu Safe! Especially this close to the finale. I get the recognize the vase is being  moved/can't duck it in time thing, but I agree with someone else who pointed out not calling Nick immediately. These writers are making people dumb to advance the story too often. Quit doing that!

I hope the ceremony for Monroe and Rosalee goes fine. You can't tell me that Rosalee: a) can't tell a difference in Juliette and Adalind, sense-wise  and b) common-sensewise.  If we get Rosalee being anything more than just nervous and her usually awesome self, I may have to throw something at the tv.    That Nick is so completely fooled is eye-rolling, but it fits the spell. Until the sexytimes, if there are indeed sex-anigans. (See: people acting dumb to further Plot.)

T. is great when she is doing the Grimm stuff. I didn't mind the giant portions because she is still not expecting to get through a simple meal without someone trying to kill her or jail her or put her in an institution. She's been "feral" for almost a decade, so I am not expecting her to act "civilized" after a few days to a couple of weeks with Juliette and Nick. I also wouldn't call T. feral. She's obviously smart enough to grift when she needs something, keep a relatively low profile (with a handful of exceptions) with law enforcement for nearly a decade, and understands how to blend with groups of folks for camouflage. That shows a respect for civilization, despite how it treats her. T. uses that same civilization to keep trying to make a new start somewhere.  T. fights fiercely, like a wild animal does- which feral does apply- but, imo, it feels too harsh for what we know of T.'s background.

I know Josh wasn't believing his dad, but the simple request of 'Bring me my cane' should not have been so taxing...for Josh! Yes, tonight's episode was brought to us by the Letter Y, but couldn't the scene have shown us Josh honoring a relatively benign request before Dad had a heart attack/death throe? No doubt, Josh is seemingly just a plain vanilla human, and that's fine. Also, Josh's grappling with his "insane", murderous father; fine, anyone not in the know would. Josh has, no doubt, bitched and moaned from Pittsburgh about coming to Portland and finding his father's "delusions", yet can't move to the cane in such a way that his near-death father feels the need to move towards it himself?  Not that all Grimm offspring have to be saints (which I wouldn't anyway), but he seemed a bit douchey to me.   Also, why not call Nick Burkhardt after your father has killed someone?  There is not knowing someone and then there is 'we need help.'

Even if we get a super-cool cliffhanger, I hope we get a simple 'to be continued'. I am tired of the cutsie-poo cards. Go away so we can miss you, cutsie-poo cards.

• Love 2

Meh. Left me cold. Trouble is just another head basher and doesn't bring anything new to the show. Don't care about cliche pre-wedding angst. Don't want to see another spell mucking with the Nick/Juliet relationship (because you know that's there that is going). Was annoyed that Hank could beat up a hundjaeger or however that's spelled, but it's typical for tv shows; they don't want any of the characters to seem weak, so suddenly a normal human can defeat something which, in previous episodes, was portrayed as a superhuman foe. 

And there are times when this show just has the characters behave in bizarrely stupid ways. Me during the episode. "It's in his cane. Don't leave the hospital room without his cane. Go back and get the cane. Get the damned cane already. GET THE CANE, for fuck's sake!" Son: "He was asking for his cane." Me: "FINALLY!" 

Anyway, the ep wasn't terrible, but it sure didn't draw me in. 

By the way, did they ever explain how Sam Anderson knew Nick existed, let alone where to find him? 

• Love 3

I dub thee Theresa the Awesome. Hopefully they won't then start calling her Awesome.

Naah...They'll call her Tawesome.

I thought it was Hank who finally mentioned Rolek was asking for his cane.

And the turncoat Fibbie, Steward, gets away yet again.  God, I wish he'd take Adalind with him.

• Love 2

So Adalind's big plan was to make a polyjuice potion? I was hoping once the baby was born, she would go away but she's still boring me and taking up way too much time.

I really liked the idea the son wasn't a Grimm. Bet he grew up with some unknown sense of disappointing his father, even though he thought his father was crazy. Left me wondering if he felt releaved that his father wasn't crazy or if he felt even more of a disappointment because he realized his father had a true reason to bypass him with his "inheritence".

I liked that Josh wasn't a Grimm too but i felt bad that he obviously felt like he was left out of his dad's secret and/or a disappointment. I wish Nick had taken him aside and explained that his father didn't want to burden him with all of these secrets unnecessarily (but without scaring him off of being a Grimm too much, just in case he turns out to be one later).

While it's great that Trouble talked with him when he came to Nick's house (and I really loved that Josh told his dad he didn't want to interrupt Nick because he had company over for dinner), she needs to stop blurting out Grimm/Wesen stuff in front of strangers. For someone who has been fending for herself for so long, she seems to have no control over her mouth.

What was with Juliette this week? She volunteered to do everything for the wedding, then she was hopping up to fetch things for Trouble. Maybe she needs to smoke some of that green stuff from Adalind's hat and calm down.

I loved how calm Monroe was in the face of Rosalee's meltdown. Even though she doesn't seem the type to freak out before the wedding, it happens to even the most level-headed people sometimes. Coordinating all that crap can be stressful so even though freaking out would be out of character for Rosalee under normal circunstances, it seemed realistic for her to get overwhelmed in that moment. I'm glad that when she asked why they were doing all this, he gave the best answer: "Because we love each other." Awwwww, Monroe.

• Love 1

And there are times when this show just has the characters behave in bizarrely stupid ways. Me during the episode. "It's in his cane. Don't leave the hospital room without his cane. Go back and get the cane. Get the damned cane already. GET THE CANE, for fuck's sake!" Son: "He was asking for his cane." Me: "FINALLY!"

Ha ha, me too!  While I liked the idea of a Grimm's son not inheriting the legacy, Josh himself kind of annoyed me.  His whiny foot-dragging was frustrating to watch, and I wanted him to just either humor his dying father's crazy ideas or do the right-from-his-perspective thing and call the cops and a doctor. 

I'm curious as to how Josh's father found Nick -- is there some sort of Grimm informational network Nick doesn't know about?  Are there clues in the odd happenings in Portland that a Grimm would recognize?  Did he know (of) Aunt Marie?  I like that the show is introducing more Grimms, but it is not in a way that gives us much information about how, if at all, Grimms communicate with each other or work together.  Nick's mom has been in hiding for decades, Aunt Marie and Josh's father (wish I could remember his name) died before they could impart much, and Trubel (gah) is completely ignorant.

It appears that neither the writers nor Adalind have learned their lesson.

Monroe's line about wedding stress was the best.  I hope we get to see bad-ass Monroe soon, if not in the finale then in next season.  I'm all for Rosalee and Monroe, but we've seen enough of their domestication.  (I did enjoy the all too brief scene in Rosalee's shop.)

I'm curious as to how Josh's father found Nick -- is there some sort of Grimm informational network Nick doesn't know about?  Are there clues in the odd happenings in Portland that a Grimm would recognize?  Did he know (of) Aunt Marie?  I like that the show is introducing more Grimms, but it is not in a way that gives us much information about how, if at all, Grimms communicate with each other or work together.  Nick's mom has been in hiding for decades, Aunt Marie and Josh's father (wish I could remember his name) died before they could impart much, and Trubel (gah) is completely ignorant.

I would not think that it would have been too difficult for Josh's father (can't remember his name) to track down Nick. I would expect the news of a different kind of Grimm who is a cop in Portland would quickly spread among the Wesen across the country. Since Josh's father is a Grimm who can see Wesen, he easily could get the news from he less dangerous Wesen like Bud.

Monroe telling Rosalee that weddings were so stressful so you only do it once was funny as was the gang's reaction when Josh said that at least now he knows that his father was not crazy, unless they all were. 

I did like Rosalee and Juliette reaching out to Teresa. She needs kind people like them to befriend her and give her emotional stability.

• Love 3

Aaaaand yet another person gets taken to the trailer.   Why not put a big sign over it "Grimm Trailer here"

I was cool with Theresa helping out Josh.   She knows more than Nick did at this point in his Grimm career.   I did not like when asked her name she responded with the cliche.  She a nice girl who wants to help people.   That's not trouble, so stop calling her that.

Again Monroe and Rosalee have their own separate story.  Renard is on his phone.   Adalind is plotting something.   Rinse, wash, repeat.

Aaaaand yet another person gets taken to the trailer.   Why not put a big sign over it "Grimm Trailer here"

That wasn't the trailer. The key scene was at Rosalee's shop.  And the trunk inventory was at Nick's house. 

Overall, I really liked the episode!  Sure Renard, Adalind, Monroe, and Rosalee were fast forward material.  I like how Teresa is fitting into the gang. She's basically like a younger cousin for Nick and Juliette, a wobbly deer for Monroe and Rosalee, and a concern for Hank. It looks like she's the one who will clue into Juliette weirdness next week (and they better show Renard flip the eff out over having two Grimms in his city). It would be awesome karma if whiny Josh gets his Grimm powers. Do we know how many keys The Royals have?

• Love 2

There were two high points for me. Shallow point first: shirtless Renard. Thank you show. The comment Josh, the non-Grimm, made that maybe they were all crazy & everyone paused for a moment was enjoyable for me. That's my two. Otherwise, meh. I just don't like Trouble. (Typing that makes me giggle a little.) I don't even think it's not liking her, I just feel the canvas is already crowded enough & she annoys me. I prefer the WOTW to be the main focus & the background world to be secondary. Unfortunately I'm not in charge & my wishes aren't paramount.

• Love 2

I love Trubel (and don't get my panties in a wad over the name). That girl is Lagertha Awesome! with the fighting skills. I'm sick of Adalind. As soon as they found out she had her powers back, Nick or his mom should have put Grimm blood into her mouth. Get rid of her, but keep Renard if only because he is HOT!

• Love 2
(edited)

53 minutes ago

I love Trubel

I like Trubel too, and while I find some things about her clichéd, her uncultivated behavior seems to add some layers to her.  Sure it's weird that her foster families may not have taught her table manners and such, but it sounds like she was never with any one family for long and never really had much opportunity to sit down to dinners.  Whether or not, it doesn't really bother me.  I like the idea that she is a creature of the streets who is lacking in social skills and manages survives without them. 

I wouldn't mind if she stayed on with the Nick and Juliette, but the cast is already getting bloated, so I hope she, at least, if they drop her, gets a decent sendoff.

Edited by Fable
  • Love 2

Sure it's weird that her foster families may not have taught her table manners and such, but it sounds like she was never with any one family for long and never really had much opportunity to sit down to dinners.  Whether or not, it doesn't really bother me.  I like the idea that she is a creature of the streets who is lacking in social skills and manages survives without them. 

.......the streets and various Cuckoo's Nests...... I don't find her feral-ish behaviour that unbelievable. She, not just her keepers, thought she was crazy. Ms. Manners was not high on her agenda.

That said, she's redeemable. She is loyal to Nick and Hank; she takes on 3 Hundjägers, after all.  And she's willing to learn.

{I fully admit I have a real appreciation for flawed female anti-heros: I suppose it started with Ellen Ripley, but continued with Veronica Mars, and especially Lisbeth Salander...} 

Teresa made a passing reference to wondering what was drawing Grimms to Portland. I hope there's something behind that question. I like the Teresa character and the actress. She looks so much like Nick that she could be a relative - fingers crossed the writers come up with something more original than "long-lost sister".

• Love 2
(edited)

Ever since Aunt Marie said whatever it was she said about thinking she wasn't a Grimm until her stuff activated (and could I be any fuzzier on the details there) I've been hoping the show would do a story about a Grimm who's parent/sibling/child wasn't a Grimm.  Nifty.  Extra special bonus points for having a Grimm who couldn't really Grimm, based on what the dad said.

All things considered, I think Josh took it rather well.  I liked how non-abrasive Trubel was with him, relatively speaking.  Given the completely understandable wildness she has going on (feral nature is a good phrase, thanks whomever), it would have been super easy to write her as coming on too strong with him.  But she is learning fast and kept things kind of low key, more than I would have expected from most tv writing.

I wonder if the actress is doing some of her own stunts?  If she isn't, her fight scene double is a shockingly good match for her. 

Edited by millahnna
  • Love 1

I don't think the cast is bloated just poorly used. However, I do think that the show would benefit from cutting Adalind and Renard who are dead weight. I used to think that Juliette should go, but there does seem to be a place for her, especially with Teresa's arrival.

I guess I'm in the minority but I really like Renard (and the incredibly hot actor who portrays him).  I just want to see him taking a more active role instead of being on the phone all the damned time.  Give him a line in the sand and let us know the reasons for his behaviors.  

Thank you, show, for the banquet of awesome that is shirtless Renard.  Now dump Adaline or make her an ally.  It's logical, though, that she would contact the people that she thinks have her child and try to negotiate with him…the scooby gang made a big mistake when they didn't tell her the truth when Mamma Grimm was safely away.  And yeah, another evil spell on Juliette is tiresome.

Trubel is cool, the actress is talented, looking forward to seeing her progression.

• Love 1

I really like Renard too, and I think the show would be a lot poorer without him. It's out of character for him not to have warned Nick about Adelind, and another example of the writers dumbing down someone to further a plot device that would otherwise make no sense (a view which seems valid in the light of the sneak peeks from the finale

where he does in fact warn notJuliette! that Adelind was up to no good in her house

).

He doesn't trust Adelind in the slightest, but his attitude is also coloured by some guilt over the babynapping and, I believe, an instinct to keep her where he can see her, so to speak. Of course, if Nick had spoken to him about the sudden influx of Grimms he might have reciprocated - we seem to be getting back to a previous level of non-communication of essential data.

• Love 1

I liked that the episode answered the question of whether a Grimm could produce a non-Grimm.

At first, I thought Josh was a dopey, whiney, douche but then I tried to think what his life must have been like -- never having the relationship you want with your father for unknown reasons; he new about the things in the Grimm book, so his father kept him semi-in the loop with must have seemed to Josh as a series of frustrating, why don't you get it moments; presumably, he took time off from work to care for his father as they did not appear to come from money, but rather than spend time with his son on his last days, his father drags him across the country in search of someone the father does not know and who does not know the father only to have people start trying to kill them -- so I guess I can understand Josh and cut the guy some slack.

At what point will the writers accept that Adalind has long since worn out here welcome? We are headed into Season Four and she continues to just be awful. I see Renard having more to contribute to the story than Adalind, perhaps eliminating her will allow a focus on him. Having said that, Renard will probably be killed off long before she is.

I want one of the 30ish adults on this show to stop calling that young woman (how old is she supposed to be anyway?) Truble. She now knows she is not crazy so she needs to be weened off of the embrace of the name from when she thought she was insane. She was a teen when she got that moniker, it's not like it is a family pet name she has had her entire life.

• Love 1

I liked that the episode answered the question of whether a Grimm could produce a non-Grimm.

I only watched it once, but I thought they left that up in the air when Nick said it could still happen to Josh. Did one of the Scooby gang actually state that it's possible for a Grimm to have a non-Grimm offspring? Maybe I'm confusing this with Bewitched when they were unsure if Tabitha would be a mortal or a witch.

We already knew a Grimm could produce a non-Grimm offspring.   The first time we met Mamma Grimm she said her brother never developed the abiity, while talking about learning from her father.

• Love 1

And Aunt Marie thought she wasn't a Grimm (I believe when Mama Grimm relocated Nick to her but I can't recall) as her stuff manifested late or some such.  It was way back in the Aunt Marie is still alive episodes (all two of them).

(edited)

Did not Nick just say something along the lines of "As near as I can figure, it's something like a double recessive gene..."

Edited by Syme
  • Love 1

Did not Nick just say something along the lines of "As near as I can figure, it's something like a double recessive gene..."

If so, I guess it would be like two brown eyed parents having a blued eyed child, right?
(edited)

If so, I guess it would be like two brown eyed parents having a blued eyed child, right?

Or {snark..} two blue eyed parents having a child with "infinite darkness" in hers/his eye.

Edited by Syme
  • Love 2

I want one of the 30ish adults on this show to stop calling that young woman (how old is she supposed to be anyway?) Truble. She now knows she is not crazy so she needs to be weened off of the embrace of the name from when she thought she was insane. She was a teen when she got that moniker, it's not like it is a family pet name she has had her entire life.

You call a person what she wants to be called until such time as she asked you to stop.

• Love 1

You call a person what she wants to be called until such time as she asked you to stop.

I hear that.  Recently started working with a Christopher and a Vladimir.  Specifically asked if I can call them Chris and Vlad respectively and both said yes.

However, whenever I heard "Trubel" come out of someone's mouth, I thought of a scifi book I read awhile back called Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott.

Hi. That's me. Two brown eyed parents, hazel-green eyes.

I was wondering if Josh's abilities hadn't manifested yet or he wasn't going to get them. Aunt Marie wasn't sure if Nick was going to inherit, and it didn't really come into play until after she died, which Monroe commented on. So it's kind of up in the air. At least he has a bit of an inkling. As we've seen with Mama Grimm, it's very difficult to be a parent and a Grimm, especially if you are committed to being a Grimm. It's a crappy position to be put in, either way. At least Josh has so, explanation. And I did like how he wouldn't barge in on Nick while he was eating. It's a tv show, c'mon, everyone does it. But I liked that nod to reality. Pollsters, take a hint.

And I'll admit, I giggled when Josh said, "Unless you're all crazy." And they all looked up thinking, "We probably are." Reminds me of when my kids say, "You're crazy mom." To which I reply, "You just noticed that?"

• Love 2

Just saw the episode on demand.

I like Claire Coffee the actress, she does funny football comments and is good at acting. I have had it with her character, she used the sorting hat and polyjuice potion to go after Juliet yet again. Enough. Time for her to go.

The Trouble nickname is excessive.

The new trunk could be interesting.

• Love 2

I just wish that Adalind had lost her powers again when the baby was born (like the baby got all of both their powers or something).  It would have felt like less of a retread in the context of this show (though it would have had the potential to retread some ideas from other shows but I'm cool with that) and I bet Claire Coffee's acting in the inevitable "react to finding out your baby stole your mojo" scene would ahve been hilarious. 

• Love 3