Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Big Mouth

This show is so great. Maya Rudolph is EVERYTHING! I wish Connie had been my hormone monstress...mine was probably more the female equivalent of Rick!

We were wondering, in Missy's sci-fi skit in the Planned Parenthood episode, if Maya/Connie was actually supposed to shout "Chewbacca SOOOOOUND!" or if that was the direction and she just read it out loud and they kept it. Either way, it was hilarious.

Thinking about whether the show is progressive, I'd say, yes, definitely. It puts everything out in the open, and is equitable about the (horrible and horrifying) experiences all teenagers have had. I sometimes wonder about the intended audience, though...it's obviously "mature" in content, language, etc. while capturing the puberty experience. But I can't imagine watching it with my teen stepdaughters, mostly because I think they would rather crawl into a hole than watch it with us parental types. So I'm thinking that teens and parents would be super embarrassed to watch it with each other, but teens could identify with it and benefit from watching it. I'm sure, with streaming culture, they're watching it on their tablets and such, far away from blushing but watchful adult eyes. 

This was the perfect show to do a Valentine's Day special.  All the songs were great, and I loved the talking heads with the kids and their Hormone Monsters.

I thought each main plot was pretty on-point, and I appreciate that they're continuing to expand on the minor characters (poor Lola, having to survive on perfume spritzes!)  Man, Andrew's stuff with Missy got ugly.  As ridiculous as the humor is, the show also does a good job showing how toxic masculinity hurts everybody, including guys.  I really liked Nick trying to figure out the whole Connie thing and ultimately realizing a) it's okay to be more sensitive and b) Connie's  female perspective can actually help him with girls.  Jay's "Ultimate Fuck Machine" fantasy was a lot of fun, and I like when they put Jessi and Matthew in friendship storylines together - having an ironic/cynical friend date was on brand for both of them.  As a Matthew fan, I was glad to get so much of him here, especially seeing him with Maury.  I really liked his talking head, and Maury's excitement at them finding another gay boy was weirdly sweet.

Oh, and that Michael Shannon Valentine's Day card was so unsettling, I loved it.

Some favorite lines:

Duke:  "They're like Doctors Without Borders, if the doctors ate each other out."

Matthew:  "Who's your valentine?  If you don't have one, you're probably ugly and don't know it."

Jay:  "I may have bitten off more than I can fuck.  Or is that fucked off more than I can chew?"

• Like 3

Judd and his dad:

Judd: Your breath smells like pussy.

Dad: It almost always does!

I. Died.

This was an awesome episode, especially Nick realizing Connie could be good for him.  Andrew was…eesh!  This obsession for Mindy and how he thinks it's okay to express that obsession are getting out of hand.  I wonder how this will play out in the new episodes this fall.  I was a little sad that no one quoted Jay's father's commercials.

10 hours ago, OnceSane said:

This was an awesome episode, especially Nick realizing Connie could be good for him.  Andrew was…eesh!  This obsession for Mindy and how he thinks it's okay to express that obsession are getting out of hand.  I wonder how this will play out in the new episodes this fall.

It was pretty wel done with as bad as Andrew's actions were getting the shit that was happening to him as a result of what he was doing was also really bad. I am really curious how anyone will want to be his friend after this. Even Maury knew that what he was doing was going too far.

Pretty much everything in the restaurant was great too. The waitresa who didn't want to be in any of the conversations was hilarious. And Andrew's dad's line about how he won't order dessert before he eats dinner like a serial killer is still making me laugh.

Also was it just me or was it a joke, because when I selected the episode and Netflix did the little percent loading spinny thing the episode started playing once it got to 69%.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 1

I know Lola isn't everyone's favorite around here, but she always cracks me up. Hubby and I had to pause the tv at "PUNCTURE PUNCTURE GLUG GLUG GLUG" because we were laughing so hard. One of those things I can't really explain why it's funny, but it sooooo is.

The songs were perfect. Maya Rudolph continues to be a goddess.

• Laugh 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also was it just me or was it a joke, because when I selected the episode and Netflix did the little percent loading spinny thing the episode started playing once it got to 69%.

It's a joke;  both times I've watched it, it pauses at 69% before playing.

• Laugh 1

I didn’t realize that nick voices so many characters. I’m now a huge fan of his and John Mulaney.