Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

Stuart wins his Emmy! This was the same night Susan Lucci won. I know a lot of people here (not naming names GHScorpiosRule :P) say TR was the best-looking/sexiest man on GH, but I think Stuart Damon beats him by JUST a hair.

He won this award for playing, to quote him, "the oldest, fattest drug addict in the history of television", LOL.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
He won this award for playing, to quote him, "the oldest, fattest drug addict in the history of television", LOL.

Hee. I love when all the other actors are so happy for the winner. However crappy the shows have gotten, I think the actors are still a strong community.

That show was in Madison Square Garden! How the awards have gone downhill.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

Stuart wins his Emmy! This was the same night Susan Lucci won. I know a lot of people here (not naming names GHScorpiosRule :P) say TR was the best-looking/sexiest man on GH, but I think Stuart Damon beats him by JUST a hair.

Dem be fightin' woirds, UYI!!!!

But Damon totally deserved that Emmy!

JJ!!! Ingo!!!!! Stephen!!

Will not lie--I was trying to see if Kimberly was there...

• Love 1

Dem be fightin' woirds, UYI!!!!

But Damon totally deserved that Emmy!

JJ!!! Ingo!!!!! Stephen!!

Will not lie--I was trying to see if Kimberly was there...

Hey, you know I still love Tristan! And think about it: That technically leaves TR for YOU! :D

Kim had left by then, so she may not have been there (JJ had left by then, too, but he was nominated--that's also the same night he really met his wife for the first time).

No, I clearly saw JJ behind Damon, or as Damon was walking down, saw him holding his Emmy. He was on the left hand side (my left) and had been standing up and was in the process of sitting down in that clip.

Why no, I am not obsessed with JJ sightings! I really don't know what you're talking about.

• Love 1

No, I clearly saw JJ behind Damon, or as Damon was walking down, saw him holding his Emmy. He was on the left hand side (my left) and had been standing up and was in the process of sitting down in that clip.

Why no, I am not obsessed with JJ sightings! I really don't know what you're talking about.

No, I meant he was nominated, so even though he had left the show by then, that's why he was at the Emmys that year. It's the same night his wife Lisa Vultaggio (Hannah) introduced herself to him by complementing him on his Emmy speech, where he invoked his faith. :)

Had Kim been nominated that year, she might have been there, even though she had already left the show by then, too.

Edited by UYI

No, I meant he was nominated, so even though he had left the show by then, that's why he was at the Emmys that year. It's the same night his Lisa Vultaggio introduced herself to him by complementing him on his Emmy speech, where he invoked his faith. :)

D'OH! Okay, I see what you mean. You meant JJ had already left the show, GH, not the Emmys! 

Jeepers. And I don't even have the excuse of being drunk for such a muck up.

Yeah, JJ always invoked his faith when he won an Emmy.

• Love 1

I get the history, but I still say, for what he ultimately became, Jason the career murderer was not, is not, and never will be worth jack shit. Murderers are scum. Sonny helped to ruin him, but ultimately Jason made the choice to stay.

Of course. I'm not disagreeing with a word. Jason was a hitman. That is a fact. But Robin didn't save Jason because she was a fan of murderers. It will always be more complex than that.

A discussion made me think of this - how did Sonny treat pregnant Sam? Did he attend any doctor's appointments or anything? Or was he just like, "this chick is pregnant, Jason take care of it all, k?" Did they interact? And how/why (Sam and Sonny) did they break up in the first place? 

Sam thought Sonny would leave his wife and two young kids for her. Jason lied about being the father for Carly and the boys. Sonny was forced to step back as a result.

Jason & Ned: ready to claim your fetus, no questions asked.

• Love 6

Jason & Ned: ready to claim your fetus, no questions asked.

Interesting contrast: both are ready to claim mobsters' fetuses, one to protect the children from the mobsters, the other to protect the mobsters from the consequences of their bad decisions. 

• Love 2

A discussion made me think of this - how did Sonny treat pregnant Sam? Did he attend any doctor's appointments or anything? Or was he just like, "this chick is pregnant, Jason take care of it all, k?" Did they interact? And how/why (Sam and Sonny) did they break up in the first place? 

I don't think she was pregnant yet here, but these scenes are funny because Sam pushes Carly into a drawer.

Oh, there's our hero Jason, putting a pillow over the head of a man to silence the gunshot he is about to inflict on said man. Lovely.

It's weird to see Sam in the flowy white dress.

Ugh, Carly and Sam are both intolerable here (Thank you for finding the clip for me though UYI! Sorry, I know you were a fan of TB's Carly but they're both making me want to kick them in the face here.)

Gaaaah the demon child. Forget all the reasons Sonny himself sucks, who the hell wouldn't drop the man after being introduced to wee Michael. Him droning "I'm not your friend" would have made me pee my pants and run for the hills.

Oh, God. Here's one with the brother. Conjuring him up was one of the hardest pushes to get a character to work outside of a Franco, imo.

• Love 2

Oh, I totally recognize that Carly is generally a bad person no matter who plays her, it's just that I think TB had enough vulnerability where I could have believed it if Carly had reformed with her in the role. I think she had it in her to pull it off and make it believable, the writers just never went for it. :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Jason: I want you to stay the hell out of my life for once, and let me live it how I want!

Jason sounds like he's talking to his mom.

Sonny: Why'd you stop Jason [from killing Alcazar]? Is this about your fixation with the law? Killers are bad, killers should to prison!

Uh, yeah, most people have that pesky fixation Sonny. 

Edited by ulkikis
  • Love 3

Sonny was pretty much happy to let Jason handle Sam, until he realized they were bonding over being the parents (& the paternity truth came out), then he occasionally threw his weight around and huffed and puffed about being the father.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure Sonny told the truth about the baby's paternity? He didn't like the idea of someone else raising his possession. I was so happy that kid was a tock - especially after they decided to do Sam/Alexis. I know soaps are incesty but I have limits

• Love 1
I'm not sure if it ever came up when Lucky attacked him way back when, accusing Stavros of raping Laura, to have Nik throw the bomb, that Luke had raped Laura.

Lucky brought it up, but Nikolas said, "my father married Laura and you know it!" At the time Stefan started telling stories about Laura and "his father". He kept talking about himself, but Nikolas thought he was talking about Stavros, so he was beginning to feel like there had been some sort of positive relationship between Stavros and Laura.

Nik was trying to make conversation with Lucky, mentioning that he had a letter from her, and Lucky said not to mention her name, and Lucky said something about Stavros being a rapist, that's when Nik countered with the married line, and Lucky said, "so what, he's still a rapist!", went to punch Nikolas, missed, Nikolas punched him back and then said, "you'd better get your facts straight Lucky, my father didn't rape our mother, yours did."

Why yes, I have watched that scene a lot of times, why do you ask. Lucky was definitely the instigator in that scene though. I've seen people criticize Nikolas for telling Lucky there, but Lucky pretty much tried to punch Nikolas out for being a rapist's son, so I didn't blame him being provoked into saying something.

• Love 1

I have no idea where to put this, since it's not exactly press, but I guess technically it is GH history. Anyway, I thought this was interesting, actors/characters in order of airdate. RoHo and KA, in the actors airdates column, shoot up quite a lot, unsurprisingly:

TOP 50 APPEARING CHARACTERS UNDER HW RON CARLIVATI (2/22/12-10/5/15)

Number of Episodes: 910

1. Sonny Corinthos - 598
2. Sam Morgan - 520
3. Carly Jacks - 509
4. Michael Corinthos - 469
5. Det. Dante Falconeri - 463
6. Lulu Falconeri - 421
7. Dr. Patrick Drake - 408
8. Elizabeth Webber - 399
9. Alexis Davis - 372
10. Anna Devane - 364
11. Maxie Jones - 331
12. Luke Spencer - 310
13. Olivia Falconeri - 305
14. Tracy Quartermaine - 300
15. Ava Jerome - 298
16. Jason Morgan - 292
17. Morgan Corinthos - 282
18. Julian Jerome - 279
19. Robert “Franco” Frank - 278
20. Kiki Jerome - 272
21. Nikolas Cassadine - 270
22. Sabrina Santiago - 262
23. Dr. Silas Clay - 245
24. Shawn Butler - 235
25. Det. Nathan West - 224
26. Damian Spinelli - 216
27. Dr. Britt Westbourne - 213
28. Kate Howard/Connie Falconeri - 206
29. A.J. Quartermaine - 169
20. T.J. Ashford - 165
31. Nina Clay - 164
32. Molly Lansing - 160
33. Johnny Zacchara - 151
34. Felix DuBois - 150
35. Dr. Liesl Obrecht - 147
36. Todd Manning - 145
37. Starr Manning - 139
38. Mac Scorpio - 139
39. Duke Lavery - 132
40. Heather Webber - 132
41. Jordan Ashford - 129
42. John McBain - 124
43. Lucy Coe - 121
44. Emma Drake - 120
45. Scott Baldwin - 111
46. Ric Lansing - 107
47. Danny Morgan - 105
48. Ellie Trout - 100
49. Brad Cooper - 97
50. Dr. Robin Drake - 95

TOP 50 APPEARING ACTORS UNDER HW RON CARLIVATI (2/22/12-10/5/15)

Number of Episodes: 910

1. Maurice Benard (Sonny Corinthos) - 598
2. Kelly Monaco (Sam Morgan) - 520
3. Laura Wright (Carly Jacks-509/Lena Spencer-2) - 511
4. Chad Duell (Michael Corinthos) - 469
5. Dominic Zamprogna (Dante Falconeri) - 463
6. Roger Howarth (Franco-278/Todd Manning-145) - 423
7. Jason Thompson (Dr. Patrick Drake-408/Dr. Steve Hardy-1) - 409
8. Rebecca Herbst (Elizabeth Webber-399/Jessie Brewer-1) - 400
9. Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis Davis) - 372
10. Michael Easton (Dr. Silas Clay-245/John McBain-124/Caleb Morley-14) - 370
11. Finola Hughes (Anna Devane) - 364
12. Kristen Alderson (Kiki Jerome-202 /Starr Manning-139) - 341
13. Anthony Geary (Luke Spencer) - 310
14. Lisa LoCicero (Olivia Falconeri) - 305
15. Jane Elliot (Tracy Quartermaine) - 300
16. Maura West (Ava Jerome) - 298
17. Emme Rylan (Lulu Falconeri) - 296
18. Kirsten Storms (Maxie Jones) - 286
19. Bryan Craig (Morgan Corinthos) - 282
20. William deVry (Julian Jerome) - 279
21. Tyler Christopher (Nikolas Cassadine) - 270
22. Teresa Castillo (Sabrina Santiago) - 262
23. Sean Blakemore (Shawn Butler) - 235
24. Ryan Paevey (Nathan West) - 224
25. Bradford Anderson (Damian Spinelli) - 216
26. Kelly Thiebaud (Dr. Britt Westbourne) - 213
27. Kelly Sullivan (Kate Howard/Connie) - 206
28. Sean Kanan (A.J. Quartermaine) - 169
29. Michelle Stafford (Nina Clay) - 164
20. Haley Alexis Pullos (Molly Lansing) - 160
31. Billy Miller (Jason Morgan) - 159
32. Tequan Richmond (T.J. Ashford) - 156
33. Brandon Barash (Johnny Zacchara) - 151
34. Marc Anthony Samuel (Felix DuBois) - 150
35. Kathleen Gati (Dr. Liesl Obrecht) - 147
36. John J. York (Mac Scorpio) - 139
37. Ian Buchanan (Duke Lavery) - 132
38. Robin Mattson (Heather Webber) - 132
39. Vinessa Antoine (Jordan Ashford) - 129
40. Julie Marie Berman (Lulu Falconeri) - 126
41. Steve Burton (Jason Morgan) - 124
42. Lynn Herring (Lucy Coe) - 121
43. Brooklyn Rae Silzer (Emma Drake) - 120
44. Kin Shriner (Scott Baldwin) - 111
45. Rick Hearst (Ric Lansing) - 107
46. Emily Wilson (Ellie Trout) - 100
47. Parry Shen (Brad Cooper) - 96
48. Kimberly McCullough (Dr. Robin Drake) - 95
49. Leslie Charleson (Dr. Monica Quartermaine) - 94
50. Kristina Wagner (Felicia Scorpio) - 93

Edited by ulkikis
  • Love 1

I see by that top 50 list that RC didn't like MB. Didn't he say "the writer" didn't like him?

Well, there was that tragic time in 2012 when he had to support his female co-star's story for a change for a couple of months, and his airtime was slightly lessened. The horror.

To be fair, he may just have meant that Ron didn't like writing for Sonny much in general, and he was maybe forced to write for him by Frank/the network/whoever. Which, again, the horror. You're still being written for, even if you're not the favorite.

• Love 9

Even with the pressure he must have gotten from ABC to write for Sonny, I'm still somewhat surprised he topped this list of characters as they were written by Ron.

• Love 1

I think he appeared in a lot of the episodes but I don't think he was driving story for most of that time period.

I found him more tolerable than I have in years but he was being written like a supporting character and I'm sure he resented it

• Love 3

I think he appeared in a lot of the episodes but I don't think he was driving story for most of that time period.

I found him more tolerable than I have in years but he was being written like a supporting character and I'm sure he resented it

It's weird, you'd think he'd be happy not having so much to memorize. Maybe he is just an aging divo who doesn't know how to let go of the spotlight after all. I dunno man.

• Love 6

Im super impressed that Mac was on 139 eps and Felicia for 93, and Ron didn't ruin them even a bit.  Heck, he even un-did Guza's 'Felicia is a deadbeat mom' bullshit.    

Remember when a Felicia-centric cliffhanger brought in a million more viewers than a Sonny, Luke, Franco, Nina, etc-centric cliffhanger?  Cause I sure do!

ETA: Damn, I forgot Ron made them both, albeit briefly, into Spinelli-ass-kissers.  ugh; I still can't get over that little shit being the father of their grandchild.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 4

It's weird, you'd think he'd be happy not having so much to memorize. Maybe he is just an aging divo who doesn't know how to let go of the spotlight after all. I dunno man.

I believe MB has an ego and wants the spotlight. He is all happy now and why is that? It's back to the Sonny and Jason show featuring Carly.

• Love 1

Some scenes to show why it is ridiculous that Mac isn't involved in the Robin is missing storyline:

Added bonus: drunk Robin is hilarious.

A good heart to heart with Patrick:

Talking to Anna:

Robin's HIV scare after Lisa:

But no, let's not include Mac in anything. I hope if Robin does come back and tell everyone the truth, he lays into Patrick and Anna big time.

• Love 6

Well, there was that tragic time in 2012 when he had to support his female co-star's story for a change for a couple of months, and his airtime was slightly lessened. The horror.

To be fair, he may just have meant that Ron didn't like writing for Sonny much in general, and he was maybe forced to write for him by Frank/the network/whoever. Which, again, the horror. You're still being written for, even if you're not the favorite.

"I don't care if I top the episode counts for the whole cast over his writing tenure - he didn't kiss my ass enough!" 

• Love 9

Some scenes to show why it is ridiculous that Mac isn't involved in the Robin is missing storyline:

Added bonus: drunk Robin is hilarious.

A good heart to heart with Patrick:

Talking to Anna:

Robin's HIV scare after Lisa:

But no, let's not include Mac in anything. I hope if Robin does come back and tell everyone the truth, he lays into Patrick and Anna big time.

Curse you, cmahorror!!!!

Now I have to take back some of the mean and nasty things I've said in the past about Guzasshole Guza! Because those clips above were during his tenure!

Did we ever get the scenes of Robin "scissor-chopping" the dude who was hitting on her at the bar?

And as 'roided up Burton was in that scene with Kimberly...oh, wait. Never mind. That was me clicking on that clip after one of the clips above was over, of Robin and Jason talking on the pier after she left that clinic during her PPD, and where Patrick found her, as Jason and Robin hugged. Ahem. The point being (and yes, I do have one), as 'roided up as Burton was, it remains fact how much he lights/lit? up in scenes with Kimberly, which...made me loathe him...less. BUT only in scenes with Kimberly!

And I loved that fight in the hotel room, with Robin throwing water and pillows at Patrick, though I didn't like that Mac clued in the maroon about why Robin was scared.

And damned if I didn't spend the next half hour or so watching more clips, other clips, ending with the one where Anna tells Robert that Robin is "dead" and his reaction, and then going to the morgue. *sniff* 

Tristan broke my heart, yes, in spite of that bad hair dye job. What the fuck was he thinking? 

Now, I'm not saying I want Guza back, but would not mind if we could get back the writers who actually wrote all the dialogue in the above clips.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
Damn you, cmahorror!!!!

Always glad to be of assistance lol.

Although I do prefer curse you cmahorror! :)

And no, we never saw Robin actually scissor-kick the guy off the bar stool.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 2

Always glad to be of assistance lol.

Although I do prefer curse you cmahorror! :)

And no, we never saw Robin actually scissor-kick the guy off the bar stool.

Fixed!

And Boo! Seeing Robin drop kick someone's ass would have been GREAT.

• Love 2
Today I realized that it's kind of weird that Michael doesn't already have a baby. He's been the young male focus of the show forever, and babies are a soap staple for most front and center characters. I know that he and Morgan (and others without babies) are still young, but my sense is that soap characters usually start having kids pretty soon after their teen summer scenes end, what with the screwiness of the ages of all these people generally. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and most soap characters don't start having kids until they're closer to thirty, because they keep having them until they're sixty.

turtle's post above made me wonder: did Robert and Holly ever discuss having children or was the topic never broached?

I think babies used to be a lot less frequent, but I don't think it's too soon for Michael to have a baby at this point. He's been a SORASed character for 6 years. I think it's just cause Chad still looks pretty young it feels a bit soon.

THats the problem with soaps these days they can't think of anything to do with the younger characters then its always lets give them an baby its so uncreative I've watched lots of teen stories and the worse its the teen pregnacies stories they might have been shockin g in the 70's but now days not so much heck when I graduated high school there was a few teen pregancies and no it wasn't an big deal at all.

I think Holly and Robert did discuss having children together.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 1

Was anyone watching when Rick Webber died? I watching scenes of 2007/2008 when Guza did that massive rewrite with Scotty somehow jumping out a window when he killed Rick. Is it reasonable to suggestion that Kin Shriner wasn't even on set during Rick's initial death, but Guza saw fit to further vilify Scotty to raise up the Spencers? I have to say, the day to day writing during Laura permanently waking was decent, but the underlining story was complete shit. 

It was really sad to see Scotty all by himself dealing with Logan's death. Everyone seemed pretty damn heartless about the fact that Scotty had to deal with the second accidental death of an adult child he didn't know. At least with Karen, her friends and Lucy were genuinely sympathetic to what Scotty lost, at least on Port Charles. With Logan, everyone was like "Get over it, you jerk, we have to worry about Lulu's feeeeellllings." immediately after  he found out. 

I wonder if some of the lack of mourning of Logan was the friction bts with the actor. I can see Guza not wanting to use flashbacks so that Josh Duhon didn't get any more money, so Scott got minimal support and time to mourn Logan.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Was anyone watching when Rick Webber died? I watching scenes of 2007/2008 when Guza did that massive rewrite with Scotty somehow jumping out a window when he killed Rick. Is it reasonable to suggestion that Kin Shriner wasn't even on set during Rick's initial death, but Guza saw fit to further vilify Scotty to raise up the Spencers? I have to say, the day to day writing during Laura permanently waking was decent, but the underlining story was complete shit. 

It was really sad to see Scotty all by himself dealing with Logan's death. Everyone seemed pretty damn heartless about the fact that Scotty had to deal with the second accidental death of an adult child he didn't know. At least with Karen, her friends and Lucy were genuinely sympathetic to what Scotty lost, at least on Port Charles. With Logan, everyone was like "Get over it, you jerk, we have to worry about Lulu's feeeeellllings." immediately after  he found out. 

I just watched where Karen died not too long ago.Wjhen lucy was trying to comfort Scott over Karen's death.The sad thing is in  those five minutes they gave scotty more depth than GH has given him in years.

I hated Genie's 2002 exit with Laura killing Rick and then literally being wheeled off stage drooling.  

But the retcon made absolutely no sense, and their was no payoff or fallout.  It would have been far easier to retcon it that Helena hypnotized Laura into thinking she had killed Theresa back in the 70's and then Rick in 2002.  It could have been her revenge for Luke killing Stavros the previous year.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

I wonder if some of the lack of mourning of Logan was the friction bts with the actor. I can see Guza not wanting to use flashbacks so that Josh Duhon didn't get any more money, so Scott got minimal support and time to mourn Logan.

Did anyone even like him besides Scott? And didn't assault both Lulu and Maxie? I don't think many characters would miss the guy.

Did anyone even like him besides Scott? And didn't assault both Lulu and Maxie? I don't think many characters would miss the guy.

No, because Johnny and his family became Guza's shiny new toy. I know this will show my completely anti feminist colors and I am not condoning violence, but behavior wise, neither Maxie and Lulu (maybe Lulu a little, but she completely missed the why) ever owned up to their own behavior that lead up to Logan being attacked. Logan was going to let Lulu go and get her out of the deal she struck with Scott, but she decided to keep dating Logan in order to get over her feelings towards Johnny, I won't go into sleeping with Maxie because cheating on Lulu for whatever reason was on him, but she and Spinelli prematurely fingered him as the Text Message Killer, which lead him being bashed in the head, which could very well lead to mental instability that caused him to attack both Lulu and Maxie.

But even still, Guza provided Scott with no allies: no Lucy, no Serena, no Gail or Lee, and it seems the people only allowed to have friends then was Sason and Luke and whoever for Luke. I think I was more shocked I the lack of compassion towards Scott in favor of Lulu, of course this was the same team that had Sonny blame Scotty for Karen getting molested as a child when even Port Charles, with all the vampires, wouldn't even be that crass.

TRuthfully I alway felt they blew the potential Logan had by blowing it on the lame lulu/Logan pairing and Lulu periodFor the stupid Baldwin/Spencer war plus I feel like if they ws going to go in that direction it would have made me sense for it to be serena and one of Luke's sons.Scotty had always been over protective of serena so that made more sense.Anyways they should have just done an family story with Logan instead of the lame Lulu stuff.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 1

I've never been a fan of continuing family feuds into subsequent generations, especially when the original issue is entirely personal. (A business fight down the years more logically involves multiple generations.) What happened between Luke, Laura, and Scott before their kids were born doesn't concern the kids at all. It's a crutch for the writers—they don't have to come up with new stories or give the kids their own lives.

And it's not a Romeo and Juliet/star-crossed lovers story to have kids of rivals fall in love. It's never about the kids, it's always about the dumb conflict. Zzzz. Everyone seems to forget those two dolts killed themselves at the end. Hardly romantic.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3