Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

Can one of you fonts of GH lore explain why certain people call Alexis Natasha?

It's Alexis' birth name. Her mother was a mistress of Mikkos Cassadine (who later went nuts and tried to freeze the world, naturally, and was Helena's husband), named Kristin Bergman, an opera singer. She and Mikkos would have Natasha and Kristina. Well, one day, Helena slit Kristin's throat in front of Alexis. (Original version, long story.) She was traumatized but ended up with her father (who would be distant with her, likely to save her from Helena's wrath.) Well, that trauma made Alexis block a lot out and she was renamed Alexis Davidovich and was said to be a Cassadine "cousin" and was raised as the poor relation and in a lot of fear and chaos.

As soon as she went away to school, she Americanized her last name, hence Davis.

From 2010, Helena corrects Alexis' grammar:

At the risk of getting my throat cut, I have to point out that Helena is wrong here. Alexis says, "You're here to wreak havoc on someone's life; I wonder whose?" That's correct, because "whose" is the possessive for "who," so the answer would be, for example, "Luke's [life]." Alexis would have had to say "You're here to wreak havoc on someone" for "I wonder whom" to work. "Whom" would equal "him/Luke"—the person as object, not his life.

This lesson in grammar brought to you by your friendly Internet copy editor.

• Love 8
I hear Alexis saying "I wonder on who", not "I wonder whose".  Is Helena still in the wrong?

I watched again, and you're right, TeeVee329. So Helena is right to correct Alexis. ("You're here to wreak havoc on someone's life; I wonder on who" isn't parallel, though. Can't have everything, I guess!)

It should have, but the writing would have been no where as good then. Whoever wrote that scene liked Anna and Robin. If it had happened on GH at the time, Anna and Robin's reunion probably would have had Jason trying to intervene between them or something like that.

• Love 3

You're so right, ulkis. Even then, the writing was on the wall.

And in an attempt to destroy myself apparently, I've gone from sniffling over Robin and Anna's reunion to flat-out bawling over B.J.'s death. While most will cite the scene where Tony listens to B.J.'s heart in Maxie's chest, or when Felicia finds out the donor heart is B.J.'s - and those are DEVASTATING scenes - the one that always comes to mind for me is when Tony says goodbye to B.J. - Brad Maule barely held it together - and his line: "When you give your heart to Maxie...I will give my heart to you. And we will both be safe. And no one will ever hurt us again." OH MY GOD, ALL OF THE TEARS.

In retrospect, you can really see all of the notes - Tony died when B.J. died. Watching the performances, when they are waiting for the surgery to finish, the cold way he looks at Bobbie (understandable) but really everyone. He was already dead. So much of what he did later...in the context of his soul, his heart, basically dying with B.J. makes sense. Of course, then as with all things, Guza had to fuck it up and fuck over the character because he wasn't Carly/Sonny/Jason but for a little while, it was heartbreakingly possible.

And now I have to go watch when Tony died (fuck you again, Guza) and that moment when he saw B.J....

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 2

I don't think at this point Lorenzo can return to GH, and that is all on Ron. By making Lorenzo and Tomas the same character on GH, it now falls under the PP litigation over OLTL, or that's what I thought.

I think that, since Alacazar was a character that originated on GH, he can be used.  Tomas just can't be mentioned.

In retrospect, you can really see all of the notes - Tony died when B.J. died. Watching the performances, when they are waiting for the surgery to finish, the cold way he looks at Bobbie (understandable) but really everyone. He was already dead. So much of what he did later...in the context of his soul, his heart, basically dying with B.J. makes sense. Of course, then as with all things, Guza had to fuck it up and fuck over the character because he wasn't Carly/Sonny/Jason but for a little while, it was heartbreakingly possible.

Brad Maule was quoted in SOW as saying that Guza had told him that he would be tearing the character of Tony down... but Guza also solemnly promised him he would build him back up again.  According to Maule (and what we can all see came to pass), Guza delivered on the tearing down part but broke his promise on the building back up.

Edited by yowsah1
And now I have to go watch when Tony died (fuck you again, Guza)

While Guza was a POS where anything not Sonny, Carly, or Jason was concerned - and I'm loathe to take up for him on any real level - I recall that Brad Maule had said he had asked for Tony to die since the character had become almost obsolete, and JFP/Guza "magnanimously" (my ironic word, and ha!) granted said request.

The vision of BJ was the only nice moment in that mess, although Tony did have a nice scene with Lucas just prior to getting sick.

If Tony had to die, at least he died as the good doctor again and not death by cop a la Zander or something. Because, yeah, it really could have been worse.  :-\

• Love 1

I thought Tony's last scenes were wonderful. Some writer who gave a shit, or at least gave a shit about those scenes, did well. The rest of it, the larger framework was so cynical because I don't think Guza or JFP cared; they just saw Dr. Tony as a great 'real' death to give the story some drama.

That monkey virus story had such potential, it was a great idea but it was pretty sloppily executed and disappointing. Especially the treatment of Robert. Guza clearly revered the Scorpios, but saw them as far cooler than Robin, cold and tough - that's why every time they came back they'd be chastising her about Patrick or having Robert say he never liked being a family man, just like Luke. Which is nonsense, and Tristan Rogers has said so. (It was also nonsense for Luke.)

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I remeber when Robert and Robin seen each other for the first time in 15 years was it?I thought for sure that would have been the cliffhanger but it wasn't.Anna and Robins reunion was at least promoed on AMC but yeah Guza had something aganist Robert.TRuthfully I think he had lots of resentment towards Gloria monty for not taking his stories when he worked under her so he wanted to destroy anything she did.

BM was such an underrated actor.I just watched the scenes where that Tania died.He was good.Poor Tony.Watching old clips Tony really adored BJ.

That monkey virus story had such potential, it was a great idea but it was pretty sloppily executed and disappointing.

Remember how thrilling it was to see Robert again? That was truly a high point. And then, as usual, Guza completely botched things.

• Love 2

Remember how thrilling it was to see Robert again? That was truly a high point. And then, as usual, Guza completely botched things.

YES!! I won't lie: I SQUEED like a tween when I saw him appear in that jungle with the tag line " and so it begins..."

Little did I know that Guza would massacre and annihilate such a great character. And having Robin telling him that that midgety moobster was a better father to her than Robert.

• Love 3

Was Jeff webber still in town when! Bobbie came to PC? I'm watching the 1986 pilot episode of MacGuyver and there character named Barbara Spencer. Seema like an in-joke but wasn't sure.

Edited by Sake614

Was Jeff webber still in town when! Bobbie came to PC? I'm watching the 1986 pilot episode of MacGuyver and there character named Barbara Spencer. Seema like an in-joke but wasn't sure.

Pretty sure Bobbie was in town in like 78 or 79 and Jeff was around then.

Jeff leaves in the spring of 1981. He definitely overlapped with Bobbie for years.

And then Noah Drake arrives at that time to replace him at the hospital. And Noah is every bit as self-adoring as his son ...

Random note: at one point in the ice princess caper, Tony Cassadine is trying to figure out Robert's past and he's all "why no record of him in '77? What was he doing in '77?!" And all I can think is: "um, impregnating Anna?" Watching these episodes 30 years after the fact is sort of hilarious.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

Random note: at one point in the ice princess caper, Tony Cassadine is trying to figure out Robert's past and he's all "why no record of him in '77? What was he doing in '77?!" And all I can think is: "um, impregnating Anna?" Watching these episodes 30 years after the fact is sort of hilarious.

That? Is ten servings of awesome sauce right there. Thank you for sharing that!!!

Edited by Francie

Guza had something against Robert.

I don't think Guza had anything against Robert (other than his usual agenda of tearing down any character that wasn't in the mob or a mob worshiper), but boy oh boy did he hate the character of A.J.  I remember back when the AOL boards were a thing (giving away my age here), people were openly speculating that A.J. reminded Guza of someone from high school that had stolen his prom date or something, the hatred was just that intense.

And it's obvious that Guza pretty much despised the character of Robin also.

I haven't decided where this fits, but I don't understand why Franco keeps being referred to as a serial killer. I've read his history on GH and from reading about him he seems much more a psychopath than a serial killer. He has killed three people but all different ways for different reasons. He really seemed more intent and got enjoyment from terrorizing people than actually killing people as his main enjoyment. To me he enjoyed toying with people but maybe reading about him and actually watching it happen are two different things?

I haven't decided where this fits, but I don't understand why Franco keeps being referred to as a serial killer. I've read his history on GH and from reading about him he seems much more a psychopath than a serial killer. He has killed three people but all different ways for different reasons. He really seemed more intent and got enjoyment from terrorizing people than actually killing people as his main enjoyment. To me he enjoyed toying with people but maybe reading about him and actually watching it happen are two different things?

No. He IS a serial killer.  When he was played by James Franco, it was revealed that all his "ART" of seemingly dead people were people he had killed and posed.  I hated that whole storyline so I always fast forwarded, and I don't recall who he killed onscreen.

• Love 1

He also killed his art dealer, which I only remember because she was played by the actress who was Naomi on "Lost".

And yes, while he only killed a handful of people in Port Charles, his backstory was that he spent YEARS murdering people and making art out of it.  And wasn't there also some nonsense about him swearing to kill a person for every person Jason killed?

Verdict?  SERIAL KILLER.

• Love 3

Thanks for the info it just goes to show you can't always believe everything you read(on the internet;)) The backstory I read on him said his art was recreations of murders. He was credited with only killing some random guy to see what killing felt like, some mob guy Sonny and Jason had wounded who's neck he crushed and some paparazzi in a stairwell he strangled trying to flee. The rest of his crimes seemed to be things like what he did in the wearhouse to Shawn, Heather, Jordan and Carly. Just toying with people and terrorizing them for fun.

I don't think a scene like this would ever happen on the GH of today.  Or maybe any other soap, but then I only watched ABC's line up.

One of my favorite Anna moments - Anna Dances

Edited by amaranta

The rest of his crimes seemed to be things like what he did in the wearhouse to Shawn, Heather, Jordan and Carly. Just toying with people and terrorizing them for fun.

Actually, he did try to kill Heather. He stabbed her because he just loved Carly so much and mean ol' Heather was getting in the way of that. Some totally innocent contractor was also killed due to Franco not informing anyone that Heather was skulking around Wyndemere.

I don't think a scene like this would ever happen on the GH of today.  Or maybe any other soap, but then I only watched ABC's line up.

One of my favorite Anna moments - Anna Dances

Oh God, Edge. Hahahaha. 

Is Edge the one who ended up killing Dawn and then was found dead in a dumpster? That time was a bit hazy for me, as GH was slowly earning back my trust after Casey the Alien... and I skipped a lot of stuff until the big fight between R and A that led to her valentines day revenge

• Love 1

Is Edge the one who ended up killing Dawn and then was found dead in a dumpster? That time was a bit hazy for me, as GH was slowly earning back my trust after Casey the Alien... and I skipped a lot of stuff until the big fight between R and A that led to her valentines day revenge

Yes.Edge coming to town had something to do with the Jeromes diamonds and scotty and Tracy wanted to find a heir before lucy could get her hands on them.Its weird because after EDge was shon to be a con artist they mentioned there was no Jerome heirs left Guess they didn't look hard enough lol.

• Love 1

So back to those Carly/AJ scenes from the baby Michael reveal ... wow, Carly sure had some nerve not-so-subtly hinting to AJ that she'd make sure he never saw the baby again if he pursued a paternity test. After she'd just had the truth thrown in her face. Wow.

I die laughing at the end when AJ confronts Jason.

And Jason just stands there squinting like he's passing gas.

And could someone please explain to me like I'm Sonny why Jason ever forgave Carly for this little stunt:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IYk3cnW1V5o

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

There have been beautiful weddings, stupid and bad weddings and funny weddings! I think I'll kick off this thread with the Funniest, laugh so hard your tummy aches, Hilarious wedding--that of one Sean Donnelly and Tiffany Hill...or should that be...Elsie Mae Crumholz?

This. Will go down as the greatest TV wedding of all time. Hysterically funny first time. Hysterically funny on every single watch since. Never gets old. As others have said, this is the GH I mourn.

• Love 2

It's weird that this thread got brought up again because I rewatched the Lante wedding last night and changed my mind about my imaginary Dante pairings with other people cause their vows were so sweet lol. Oh well whatever. Jasam and Lante had such crappy threadbare weddings but DZ and JMB (and LLC) sold the heck out of it.

So back to those Carly/AJ scenes from the baby Michael reveal ... wow, Carly sure had some nerve not-so-subtly hinting to AJ that she'd make sure he never saw the baby again if he pursued a paternity test. After she'd just had the truth thrown in her face. Wow.

I die laughing at the end when AJ confronts Jason.

And Jason just stands there squinting like he's passing gas.

And could someone please explain to me like I'm Sonny why Jason ever forgave Carly for this little stunt:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IYk3cnW1V5o

He enjoyed the worship.

I did like AJ pointing out Jason turned against the Quartermaines before Sonny came along.

Wait, so Anna was brainwashed in 1991? 

Carjax looked like they had a nice wedding? I wasn't really watching at the time.

The best part of that wedding was Alexis (as Jax's "best man") introducing the newlyweds and she and Carly sharing what I believe the Serial Drama girls dubbed an "Air Kiss of Hate".  Hee.

Other wedding-related hilarity?  Mac fainting with relief and happiness when Spinelli and Maxie didn't get married.  Oh Mac, I love you!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
Wait, so Anna was brainwashed in 1991?

No, well, yeah.  Actually, Faison was able to hypnotize Anna:

http://youtu.be/l7Im2ahLG2I?t=3m3s

and

and

http://youtu.be/2QkqNNkcRH0?t=6m38s

But Faison couldn't get her to love him. She refused any sexual overtures.  But she did bug Robert's office phone, and she did report back when Robert and Sean were on to him. The trigger words were "Do you hear the waters whisper?"

Faison also hypnotized Robert too, and made him think that Anna had slept with Faison (fair warning, Robert will be sporting a pony tail, and looking like a big goof):

http://youtu.be/t0dJOph1XO8?t=1m16s

Edited by Francie

BTW, here are the top 3 Anna/Faison moments of all time:

3.  From 1991. What the f*ck?  Faison is caught. Anna cries. We all have to admit, their relationship is weird:

http://youtu.be/9mAwIQuQBMw?t=4m40s

2.  From 1990. Anna drugs Faison.  Faison is untouchable because he has a gold coin. He carries it in his watch.  Anna drugs him to get it.  Gotta love the costume choice of the black widow dress:

http://youtu.be/G9I-GkyKLaU

1.  From 1990. The ruse is up.  Faison finds out that Anna has been playing him, and has basically signed his death warrant.  In the background, Robin is reading an essay about how her mother is the most honorable person she knows (though capable of doing what it takes to get the job the done).  Listen to Robin reading the essay while watching. The juxtaposition is magical:

http://youtu.be/X3kiZc4hHko?list=PLKw03OGtVrT1_wdsK4wRZeqph7kybGFUM

• Love 3

Bringing this over from the main thread:

Who was speaking Spanish today?  I didn't see it, so it must have been Sonny or someone talking to him.  I think I watched everything else.   I'm also a heritage speaker of Spanish, btw.  Funny thing, I remember a scene from way, way back in the day--must be more than 10 years ago now, since I think that's the last time I voluntarily watched a scene with Sonny in it--where Sonny was speaking Spanish to someone on the telephone.  I remember vividly being SHOCKED.  Believe it or not, the stuttering problem appears to be an English-only affliction.  His Spanish was perfect.  Not a stumble anywhere.  I remember thinking that if they'd just subtitle him all the time, we could cut down on the time it took to get through his scenes by at least 50%.

This can't be the same scene since Sonny isn't on the phone, but it DOES show him speaking Spanish:

BTW, here are the top 3 Anna/Faison moments of all time:

3. That jailhouse scene is always riveting to me. And it it actually kind of parallels the scenes from today: talk of being set free from his obsession, becoming emotional to the point of tears over each other.

2. Notice how Anna keeps touching the watch on his arm throughout the scene, as if she's reminding herself of her mission. It also exposes Faison's fears about her leaving him and betraying him.

1. This is classic Anna and Faison. I love how he tries to light the wrong end of the cigar at the beginning and FH is trying not to laugh. His line, "Once a traitor, always a traitor," is so telling of how well knows her. He knew that would feel like a kick in the gut, especially while Robin is talking about how honorable Anna is.

On the subject of Anna/Faison scenes, I love these two:

This is when Anna is pretending to be engaged to Faison. It's as close as they ever got to being a "normal" couple. I love that AH and FH are so natural and kind of cute here. They ad lib, they flirt, they tease each other. You almost forget that it's Anna and Faison (and I kind of think FH and AH did too.)

I have always enjoyed this scene because Anna is trying to draw Faison out, but he dances around her perfectly. They engage each other so carefully and yet Faison, as cautious as he is, confides in her, "You're the only person in the world who can genuinely hurt me."

• Love 4