Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

What was the point of the sandbox being in view from Matt ahd Amy's windows?

Matt was trying to talk Amy into it by insisting that it was really for her, so she could watch the kids play from her windows and so could he so its really about *the family*, and not really about Matt getting a project where he can ride his mechanical penis, make faces to the camera and screech "And AWAY we GO! LETS GET A MOVE ON!"

• Love 5
23 hours ago, LekoBoy said:

I've never had kids, but I did think Zack's baby seat, the one in the living room, that connects with a smart phone, was really cool.  Anyone know what it's called and how much it is?  Probably stupid expensive.

I FF through anytime Amy is on screen now.  Makes watching much more pleasant.

I got a kick out of how much fun they were having with it with all the settings. 

The grandma shower doesn't bother me.  Even though they said Amy was doing a registry I don't think she really did (unless someone has found proof?).  Looked to me like she was buying more stuff than she would put on a registry.  I was trying to figure out what store they were at.  Fred Meyer maybe?  We don't have those around here but I know it was a store with a similar set up to Walmart. 

I also don't mind when people have multiple baby showers, unless I get invited to them all - that would be annoying.  But around here it's very common to have a family and or friends, work related, maybe church.  I think one of my friend's had 4-5 and none of them were really her choice but she found it rude to say no when someone wanted to do something nice for her. 

• Love 2

I think Amy has made herself into to women for the men in her life.  With Chris she is the 'good' Amy.  Sweet and funny while laughing at everything he says.  With Matt she is the 'bad' Amy that she turned into as the marriage progressed and the divorce happened. 

As far as the grandma baby shower went that was pure TLC for another segment of the show.  Jer and Odd played their part too.  It's all show business folks.

I was surprised when Caryn, Matt and Amy held their 'farm meeting'.  Now that was uncomfortable to watch.  Caryn has no business there.  That one I'll give to Amy and I don't give her much.

Did I hear that Chris is out at the house with Amy two or three times during the week then out with her on weekends?  Heard it at the shower talk.  When does he work?  Oh yes I forgot.  Chris is now a reality star and they don't work. 

• Love 1

Not to defend Chris ( I genuinely don't care that much) but he works in the Portland area as a realtor and Amy's house isn't exactly in Bend so he could *easily* spend time with Amy and still manage to make it to work every day. In fact, a lot of people who date who aren't reality whores manage to juggle a job and a relationship without becoming unemployed. Don't get me wrong - Chris isn't a fave of mine, but does he really deserve the "well, he's seeing Amy a couple times a week so he must now be an unemployed loser sucking off the teats of TLC? I mean, is it so inconceivable that he's maintaining a relationship without being totally unemployed? I mean, does he have to emulate Jeremy's example? :) But seriously, I doubt I'd date Chris based on his personality but I see no reason to think he's chucked his job and dating Amy purely for the money... My argument against that btw is that I STRONGLY suspect Amy would be thrilled if he was willing to commit and would have no issue with him moving in etc etc if he asked. Instead he's maintaining some distance.

• Love 9

Most folks I know that work hard for a living do 9 - 5 jobs.  Real Estate is a hit and miss kind of work.  Usually reserved for those that have fall back money or a working spouse to provide the insurance and guaranteed income each month.  Some are real good and some are real lazy.  Just saying.

Personally I think Chris has eaten from the money tree and likes the taste!

(edited)
2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Matt was trying to talk Amy into it by insisting that it was really for her, so she could watch the kids play from her windows and so could he so its really about *the family*, and not really about Matt getting a project where he can ride his mechanical penis, make faces to the camera and screech "And AWAY we GO! LETS GET A MOVE ON!"

So he needs Amy to pry open her check book to build a sandbox NOW for children who won't realistically use it for 2 years?  I don't get need to position in within window's view of their houses either.  Do they plan to send the toddlers out to the giant cat/chicken/dog poop infested sandbox alone?  Wouldn't one of them accompany the kids to play? I'm not a helicopter parent, but I wouldn't let my child play outside - on a farm, with animals, employees, equipment coming & going- without me (or another adult to supervise).  "Off you go, Sweetie!  Head straight for the big litter box in between Nana & Papa's houses...I'll be in here standing at my window, ready to call 911 in case your little legs aren't quick enough to dodge the tractors or if you tumble into one of Papa's abandoned project pits!"

Edited by BusyOctober
pronouns should agree with subjects
  • Love 9

Jeane22 - and if any proof that Chris no longer works and is paid by TLC is offered, I will embrace it. But based on prior issues of people getting paid (we don't see Pop and Honey as regulars because of that) I doubt Chris is paid for appearences and like someone else said, he's not getting that much if he is. Although it would amuse me if he was... Matt Roloff, clever little scamp that he is, is a producer on the show and has to pay a paycheck to the man banging his wife. If Chris is getting paid. Honestly, I'm just unwilling to cheerfully state Chris must be a gold digging whore with no job because its inconceivable that anyone would ever be around Amy without motive. And you're right Jeanne22 - real estate isn't a classic 9-5 job so Chris could very easily be maintaining his work load and seeing Amy a few times a week. I'm not ready to vilify him as a gold digging manslut when he's actually been moving on this at a much slower pace than what Amy wants.

• Love 8

Sorry, I am at work so I can't edit posts but... A)Chris and Caryn aren't Roloffs so they aren't covered under "Roloffs" B) I generally take such websites as Answers.com with a grain of salt, although 15k per episode doesn't seem unreasonable. And if Chris is getting paid, then so is Caryn, which means Matt pays Caryn 15k per episode to be his girlfriend and lover on screen, right? I mean, all the gold digging theories completely apply to caryn as well as Chris, hell she pretty much lives on the farm and she gets a check to "comfort" Matt

• Love 6
12 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

So, here's the thing.

Auj is the kind of woman who has a whole lot invested in the idea that she’s the pretty girl. Sure, she tries to pretend that she’s sporty and outdoorsy but that “I’m an outdoorsy farmer” Carthart jacket is spotlessly clean (so is outdoorsy Jer’s for that matter) and she’s not the sort of woman who forgets her makeup. Her body image is very important to her – and I am not chiding her for that. I may not agree with her style choices, but she’s obviously into being fit and limber and pretty and she works to maintain it.

The problem is that being pregnant and being pretty don’t really get along. She’s already done a very public  “OMG I’m pregnant and that means I’m automatically pretty! OMG Pregnancy = Pretty!” post on aujpoj.com. She’s also dramatically toned down the pregnancy shots – there hasn’t been a “Gosh look at my baby bump” shot in a bit.  There’s been a couple of pictures and shots on the show where I’ve genuinely wondered if she’s having a difficult pregnancy. She’s definitely having skin problems and she looks… really thin for someone who is five months along. In the Jer and Auj thread, I genuinely expressed the wish that someone would feed her. I wonder if being very self conscious of her looks and image and being displayed pregnant on a reality show is a bad combo for her as far as stress goes

Not to defend her, because Auj really does irk me, but every woman's body reacts differently to pregnancy. I was one of those who didn't gain too much at all. Just baby and fluid weight. And believe me, I ate. But, I also kept up with light exercise for *most* of my pregnancy. Hopefully she's just one of these chicks and not intentionally restricting herself.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

To be the babysitter of course!

Grandma shower - Haven't heard of this but usually a first time grandma/grandpa will get gifts themselves to ready their home for the babysitting and weekends and such.  My mom got a crib, playpen, blocks etc to start off her grandmaland.  Not new stuff but other grandparents whose grandchildren outgrew it.  Usually these gifts are from neighbors or work friends.  Does Matt have any friends?

Auj - I didn't like that she made Tori's shower about herself.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

I was a little older than Jer & Auj when I had my first (I was 30), but my mom didn't have a grandma shower.  She found a lot of cool baby stuff at yard sales.  When I'd bring my child to her house I'd pack diapers, clothes, a blanket, bottles, etc.  It's not rocket science.  I hope "grandma showers" don't become a trend.

Exactly. My mom found nice baby stuff at yard sales too.  My parents were my son's daycare & didn't have as many things it looks like Amy got at her shower.  They bought their own port-a-crib &car seat  & borrowed a high chair & other things.  I provided extra clothes, diapers, formula & baby food. Maybe cuz this was many years ago (28 years) it was no big deal.

Also I don't think many parents forget to take the necessary baby items when they go out.  For at least first time parents, its the opposite -- they bring the house with them, just in case.

Tori cracked me up packing the baby's bag for the hospital.  Especially wanting to bring all the diapers. Lol. I like when Zach said the baby could wear the Doctor Diapers home (or something like that).  Tori really seems petrified of the hospital & a possible C-section.  I guess her hospital doesn't do tours, I think that would have  been a great help for her fears. 

At first, I thought it was neat that Amy had kept the outfit Zach had on in his baby picture.  But then when he commented on the crusty stuff, just yuck. He was funny when he said there would be no crusty stuff on Jackson's mouth & clothes.  That baby seat looked so cool.  Back in the day I was happy for the baby swing that had two speeds. 

On the previews it looks like Tori is discussing the impending birth with her mom & Amy.  Her mom said something about having to stay in hospital for 3 weeks because of breathing issues or something like that.  It looked like this was the first time Tori had heard this.  Really?  I thought birth stories were told & retold in families. Maybe it was just drama for TV. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Each member of the Roloff family who particpates in filming receives $15,000 per so I'm sure Chris and Amy's blonde friend make some $$

I'd be surprised if anyone on the show who isn't a Roloff receives more than $2,000 episode, if that.  (Of course, Matt may have cut a special deal for Caryn!)  

Edited by camom

It might be fun here to do a little "supposing."  

Let's suppose the show never happened, so there's no TLC money.  Where would each member of the cast be?  I'd suppose that Jacob and Molly would be exactly where they are right now, but without a savings account.

Any opinions on the others?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

It might be fun here to do a little "supposing."  

Let's suppose the show never happened, so there's no TLC money.  Where would each member of the cast be?  I'd suppose that Jacob and Molly would be exactly where they are right now, but without a savings account.

Any opinions on the others?

When we first met Matt he was a traveling salesman so maybe that's what he would still be doing.  Amy likes to cook and has done public speaking because of the show.  I think once the kids were grown she would have gotten a job.  Maybe teaching?  The daughter would have gone off to school because she's the really smart one in the family.  The twins would have to have some kind of real jobs.  Maybe some kind of construction for Jeremy?  He surely would not have gone to that fancy photo school.  Zach I'm not so sure what kind of work he would do.  Maybe the job Matt recently offered him.  Selling and promoting stools for LP.  Jacob would be doing what he's doing now...wandering state parks and living in the back of his car.  That's about all I got!

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

When we first met Matt he was a traveling salesman so maybe that's what he would still be doing.  Amy likes to cook and has done public speaking because of the show.  I think once the kids were grown she would have gotten a job.  Maybe teaching?  The daughter would have gone off to school because she's the really smart one in the family.  The twins would have to have some kind of real jobs.  Maybe some kind of construction for Jeremy?  He surely would not have gone to that fancy photo school.  Zach I'm not so sure what kind of work he would do.  Maybe the job Matt recently offered him.  Selling and promoting stools for LP.  Jacob would be doing what he's doing now...wandering state parks and living in the back of his car.  That's about all I got!

Amy had three jobs when the show started. Shewas secretary for LPA, secretary for the kids soccer league and she taught pre-school.

• Love 6

Could Jeremy have been more dramatic about the home inspection?  He and Auj seem to be under the impression that no one has ever bought a home or had a baby before.  They really are insufferable.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, camom said:

Could Jeremy have been more dramatic about the home inspection?  He and Auj seem to be under the impression that no one has ever bought a home or had a baby before.  They really are insufferable.

I think Jeremy likes to come off as 'all knowing'!  If there was water in the crawl space I hope they checked for mold.  What was the other issue?  I think something to do with water/sewage/backup somewhere.  Once you take these problems on..they are yours baby or no baby.    Then again he could have been making mountains out of mole holes.  I'm kind of surprised Jeremy chose a home in town.  I would think he, of the two twins, would like a place with some acreage.  Even an acre or two.  But then again land requires work and maybe he like Amy don't like work.

• Love 1

Well, since he doesn't have a job, aside from playing on the farm on camera, I think its fair to say Jeremy doesn't like work. ;) I mean, he's 27 and he's never actually held a job his daddy didn't get for him. Things are gonna suck for Jer when the old man finally heads off into that dark night...

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm kind of surprised Jeremy chose a home in town.  I would think he, of the two twins, would like a place with some acreage.  Even an acre or two.  But then again land requires work and maybe he like Amy don't like work.

He also may have known that had he bought land, he would have Matt there all the time doing projects. Since he's in a town, there are limits to the things Matt can dream up to make him do. Growing up, he spent a lot of time doing work for his dad on the projects he dreamed up. I'm sure Matt will try (didn't he try to overdo the gate at Zack's last season?), but there is only so much space.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Amy's friend Lisa's hair? I like to see older (not that she's old) women with long hair. It's a nice change from the cookie cutter, shorter look women tend to go for as they age. If it's scraggly, then that's another story. But, I think Lisa's hair always looks like she takes care of it and styles it nicely. I don't mind the color on her, either. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm kind of surprised Jeremy chose a home in town.  I would think he, of the two twins, would like a place with some acreage.  Even an acre or two.  But then again land requires work and maybe he like Amy don't like work.

Since when does Amy not like work?  Aside from holding down several paying jobs over the years, doing 99% of the childcare and running the home all those years, Amy is now the one who seems to be the most involved with planning and hosting family events and doing all the cooking for them.  She seems to be running her baking and salsa businesses by herself for the most part.  Is that stuff not "work?"

Amy may not have lorded over the farm bossing around the workers the way Matt has always done, but that doesn't mean she wasn't "working."  Matt planned projects and directed things and supervised employees, sure.  But I don't get why that counts as being "work" but the things Amy was doing all those years don't garner the same respect.  Is it because she busied herself with "women's work" or something, and there are still people out there who think such labors are of no value?

It's hard to believe that a couple of decades acting as a nanny, chauffeur, nursemaid, tutor, shopper, cook, maid and laundress, holding down multiple paying jobs, and starting a couple of businesses doesn't count as "work" to some people.  

I seriously doubt that Matt ever earned enough money when he was working to pay someone to do all those jobs, which he would have had to do if Amy had not been there to do them all.  Would anyone look at the multiple employees he would have had to hire and claim those people didn't "work?"  

I just don't get it.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Since when does Amy not like work?  Aside from holding down several paying jobs over the years, doing 99% of the childcare and running the home all those years, Amy is now the one who seems to be the most involved with planning and hosting family events and doing all the cooking for them.  She seems to be running her baking and salsa businesses by herself for the most part.  Is that stuff not "work?"

Amy may not have lorded over the farm bossing around the workers the way Matt has always done, but that doesn't mean she wasn't "working."  Matt planned projects and directed things and supervised employees, sure.  But I don't get why that counts as being "work" but the things Amy was doing all those years don't garner the same respect.  Is it because she busied herself with "women's work" or something, and there are still people out there who think such labors are of no value?

It's hard to believe that a couple of decades acting as a nanny, chauffeur, nursemaid, tutor, shopper, cook, maid and laundress, holding down multiple paying jobs, and starting a couple of businesses doesn't count as "work" to some people.  

I seriously doubt that Matt ever earned enough money when he was working to pay someone to do all those jobs, which he would have had to do if Amy had not been there to do them all.  Would anyone look at the multiple employees he would have had to hire and claim those people didn't "work?"  

I just don't get it.

I think she meant Auj and accidentally said Amy.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Shmoopaloop said:

I think she meant Auj and accidentally said Amy.

Maybe.  But it wouldn't be the first time a new poster rolled through here recently claiming Amy did nothing of value over the years. 

That kind of thinking grates on my nerves.  Sorry if that's not what you meant, Jeanne.

• Love 4

Well, maybe we should play the pretend game this way. Where would Matt be if Amy had died after giving birth to Jacob?

If Matt had to be the nanny, cook, chauffeur and tutor? And actually raise his children with no one there to whine about "keeping him away"? I genuinely question if he'd have all that play time that Amy gave him to "dream his dream, oh he's a dreamer thinking big while Amy thinks small about how to feed the kids". Without Amy, Matt would have had to stop dreaming and provide with no back up.

Or dump the kids on his mom... which is what I kinda suspect would have happened since Matt's a selfish ass.

Celia - ironically that's actually a cute sandbox :)

• Love 6
On 2017-6-15 at 4:00 AM, ginger90 said:

What was the point of the sandbox being in view from Matt ahd Amy's windows? Go out and play little one.........that's a long time away. Matt is strange with his projects. It didn't seem like it was in an area children would be in while visiting the pumpkin patch, did it? 

And Amy's first comment, supposedly not knowing Caryn made the pumpkin shape suggestion was, don't make it with a lot of curves? What?

Maybe they are afraid the cats will bury them?

1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Regarding the sandbox drama ... Amy ought to plop this down in the yard and rob Matt of his latest little "project" (as well as his latest reason to bitch himself blue in the face).  Fifty bucks, problem solved.  Put a sock in it, Matt!

url.jpg

Perfect! A pumpkin shape WITH a cover to keep the kitty cats out :)

• Love 9

It's sometimes interesting to look at old posts, particularly now that Caryn and Matt "just found each other in 2017". I went over to the Fans of Reality tv forum - they actually go all the way back to 2009, and at around page 13-17 of the LPBW forum - there's a lengthy discussion of a)Matt being a problem drinker (something I've always thought) and b) how odd it was that Caryn the manager is so familiar with Matt, taking sides with Matt against Amy, and wearing Matt's jacket at times....

Now, knowing that Matt and Caryn are *suddenly* an item and that when Caryn divorced in 2013, her husband insisted the kids not be allowed to step foot on Roloff farms... And add in the fact from the court case that only Matt and *Caryn* have keys to Matt's office...  Yeah, I have a pretty good feeling Amy earned that house and half of the farm, putting up with Matt's nonsense... And I would genuinely like to see Jeremy interviewed on camera, without Audrey on his lap, asked about what he thinks about Caryn and his dad and when he thinks that started.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 6:12 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I just don't get it.

::Claps::

Edited by Honey
  • Love 6

It's hilarious, isn't it, Honey, Celia?

Please don't get me wrong - There are so many things about Amy I don't like, not the least of which is her utter unwillingness to accept any criticism of herself or her kids, and her utter unwillingness to discipline her children (and the boys certainly reflect it, Jeremy has no job but fucking Auj and looks like a meth using hobo, Zach is still working part time and Jacob is cavorting about America with yup, no job) but there's a point where even I, a woman who works, have to defend a mother.

For starters, Amy *was* working in this marriage. She wasn't the main bread winner, but the money she earned from her jobs was *WORK* not *NOTHING*.

Making meals for the kids? Work! NOT NOTHING

Taking the kids to school, picking them up, helping with school work, attending school functions? Work! NOT NOTHING!

Tending the kids when they were sick? Work! NOT NOTHING!

When Matt lost his job and decided to take a year or so off to "dream", you know why he could do that? BECAUSE AMY WAS WORKING! Christ, he even made shitty snide remarks in the opening first episode about it.

Here's a pretend "what if?" - What if, when Matt lost his job, instead allowing him to try making a living full time on the farm, Amy made the point that he was the man, and he needed to find another job pronto because his family was depending on him?

If she's bitter, it's because she supported his dreams and gets slapped in the face with "You BITCH! MATT'S A DREAMER! YOU ARE JUST A STAY AT HOME MOM! YOU DID NOTHING!"

I absolutely think divorce is a 50/50 proposition and Amy bears her fair share of the blame - but even Matt throws down the "THATS NOT WORK" card and if its so goddamn easy, then hey, just for kicks and grins, how about we get an episode where Matt is handed four young kids and forced to tend them for a day so he can show us all how it's NOTHING for him to deal with.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I absolutely think divorce is a 50/50 proposition and Amy bears her fair share of the blame - but even Matt throws down the "THATS NOT WORK" card and if its so goddamn easy, then hey, just for kicks and grins, how about we get an episode where Matt is handed four young kids and forced to tend them for a day so he can show us all how it's NOTHING for him to deal with.

A day?? How about a month? He'd run away crying after a few days.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
On 2017-6-16 at 4:12 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I just don't get it.

I just had to sign in to tell you that I totally agree with every word you said!!

To me, that woman worked her butt off!!

And about first time parents not bringing enough baby things along to the grandparents home?

My friend and I had kids that had their first babies around the same time, and the first time they

came for a visit, we thought they were moving in for good with all of the stuff they brought along!

Nothing at all was forgotten, not a single baby wipe!

On 2017-6-16 at 6:33 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Regarding the sandbox drama ... Amy ought to plop this down in the yard and rob Matt of his latest little "project" (as well as his latest reason to bitch himself blue in the face).  Fifty bucks, problem solved.  Put a sock in it, Matt!

url.jpg

At least it has a cover to prevent the animals from using it as a litter box!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

We'd get treated to a long discussion of how, as a little person, expecting Matt to handle young kids is just so much more of an accomplishment than others doing so, even other little people, because he's had such a hard life growing up in the hospitals and in constant pain from his condition. Plus the world is against little people because there are not built in accommodations for him. It would probably inspire some new product for his DAS company as well.

• Love 6

Crap like that is for lesser beings (like Amy) to worry about.

Matt's obvious disappointment in discovering that Jer's new baby was gonna be a lesser being was a wee bit too obvious. I mean, Matt's a sexist ass - women are shit people - but I admit actual surprise that he literally turned to Zach and declared Zach's child king of the farm since penis trumps vagina. If Jer's child was a boy, then there would have been a competition, but since Jer's child is a lesser being, Zach's kid is the best by default.

I mean, stop and consider. Which of the four Roloff children has even a hint of Matt's intelligence and work ethic? Molly, of the lesser being status. And guess who Matt has NEVER EVER hoped would express an interest in the farm? Matt never moans how he wishes Molly  show an interest in the farm even though she's actually the one who seems willing to work. But it has never been on the table.

Now I know that some people will argue "Molly never expressed an interest". And to a point that's kind of fair... but one does need to consider that Matt has three sons to foist the farm onto, and only one lesser being and Molly has grown up in a house hold where the boys are in line for the farm and she is well, a pretty little princess who will marry and be some other family's lesser being breeder and shit worker who does NOTHING.

I'd really love to know how Matt feels about Molly being his only child that is capable of supporting herself without Matt offering her a job or a house or both.

• Love 9
On 6/16/2017 at 5:12 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I just don't get it.

Perhaps the phrase The Hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world. 

Proverb

the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world

Women, particularly mothers, have a decisive influence on the future direction of society because they raise and nurture the next generation.

So with that said yes Amy was the mom and yes any mother plays an important rule in the family.  I'm surprised you would jump out at me like that..being a new poster and just in your words 'rolling in'. 

To be fair some do it well and some not so well.  So before we put Amy high on a pedestal let us remember the filthy house, bedrooms with dirty dishes and clothes laying in piles everywhere.  Cats walking on counters where food is prepared.  

I don't thin Amy extended herself.  And if mothers do influence the future direction then look at her boys.  None of them doing any kind of 'work'.  None of them striving to be all that they can be. 

Evidently Amy dropped the ball somewhere. 

As far as planning and hosting events...really?  She got the big house.  Don't know how that worked out but she got it.  I'm sorry but I don't see Amy dusting and moping for family gatherings.  I see crews readying the family home to ready it for TLC planned parties for production.

To me Amy is what she has always been.  All mouth and NO SHOW!

BTW thank you for the warm welcome.

• Love 3
(edited)

Why do you assume we don't acknowledge that Amy had a messy house?

She did. And Matt as a man not only allowed his children to live in filth, he used to brag and bitch at fans who mentioned the dirty house that *they got the show because Amy refused to clean up for filming and he was PROUD of that*. I even remember Matt trotting out the old "we're too busy raising our children to worry about cleaning the house" line.

To listen to Matt talk, there would have been no show at all if Amy and the house wasn't an important character... funny how times change and now he makes his sad widdle faces and is all "When I was bragging how we got the show because we were messy as fuck, really, deep down, I was ALWAYS UNCOMFORTABLE! I WAS THE VICTIM EVEN AS I USED THE PROBLEM AS A REASON TO BITCH AT FANS!"

Matt doesn't get to have it both ways. If he was genuinely uncomfortable in his own home, then he needs to man up and apologize to ALL the people he merrily shit on when he was using the messy house as a reason to crow about how damn smart he was and how stupid the fans were.

And if mothers do influence the future direction then look at her boys.  None of them doing any kind of 'work'.  None of them striving to be all that they can be. 

And Matt bears no blame? All he had to do was pump some sperm and he's off the hook? He didn't repeatedly drive home the point that he didn't give a shit about school? He was being a FATHER when he abdicated all responsibility to his slattern wife? He fucked and made babies and that's ALL a father is? I mean, I watched this show and I watched Matt say spending time with his family was NOT a good use of his time and that he was done parenting when his eldest kids graduated high school and he was ready to head to Hawaii and the kids could have his attention again when they pumped out some grandkids.

Parenting and marriage is 50/50. I totally think Amy made mistakes, and SO DID MATT.

As far as planning and hosting events...really?  She got the big house.  Don't know how that worked out but she got it. 

Its called a divorce and the farm was split fifty fifty, with Matt clearly retaining the new manufactured home and Amy getting the family home. It worked out that way because Matt and Amy agreed to those terms. If Matt didn't want to agree to those terms, he should have done so at the time. Matt agreed to the terms and finalized the divorce that he initiated by leaving the family dwelling to begin with. He's now unhappy with what he agreed with. Oh well. For all the whining Matt is doing now, I seem to recall an episode where Matt was as happy as a pig in slops to crow about his mancave in the double wide where he was having his buddies over for man parties because he was free of the wife.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Perhaps the phrase The Hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world. 

Proverb

the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world

Women, particularly mothers, have a decisive influence on the future direction of society because they raise and nurture the next generation.

So with that said yes Amy was the mom and yes any mother plays an important rule in the family... 

To be fair some do it well and some not so well.  So before we put Amy high on a pedestal let us remember the filthy house, bedrooms with dirty dishes and clothes laying in piles everywhere.  Cats walking on counters where food is prepared.  

I don't thin Amy extended herself.  And if mothers do influence the future direction then look at her boys.  None of them doing any kind of 'work'.  None of them striving to be all that they can be. 

Evidently Amy dropped the ball somewhere. 

Well, so much for the idea that you meant to say "Audrey" but typed "Amy" by mistake, lol.  Thanks for clearing that up!

With that said, I first want to state that I don't think anyone here has ever offered much of a defense of Amy's housekeeping skills.  They are abysmal, to put it mildly.  But given all the other things she has been known to do over the years, I still think the characterization of her as not liking work based on her messy house is rather unfair.  She's simply done too many things in other areas (childcare, employment, various businesses) for that to be a fair assessment of her overall work ethic and its effect on how the boys turned out, in my opinion. Obviously mileage varies on this subject.  

I note that you acknowledge some people are better at motherhood/housework than others, and building upon this I can only add that (1) Amy has the additional burden of being a little person which obviously makes doing all that housework a lot harder for her than it would be for an average sized person, so I can cut her a tiny bit of slack for that reason.  And (2) given that she had so many other responsibilities (in terms of working at paying jobs outside the home and taking care of the kids basically all on her own) I can see how a certain amount of the housework fell by the wayside. Would I want to eat anything that came out of her kitchen or sleep on one of the filthy bare mattresses we saw in the boy's rooms?  Uh, no thanks.  But I can't look at her house and decide it looks that way simply because Amy is lazy, given the reality of her situation.  There were a lot of things that contributed to the house being pig pen besides Amy supposedly being a work-averse person.

Regarding the idea that Amy is the one who is responsible for how her sons turned out, all I can say is ... what about Matt?  It's true Amy did the bulk of the childcare, but that is only because Matt was so totally disengaged and unconcerned with parenting.  I don't agree that how the boys turned out is her fault alone by default.  Perhaps if Matt had been a little more involved, one of his sons might have managed to learn the value of having a job and paying one's way in life.  But since the kids didn't manage to pick up this life lesson from Amy despite seeing her work outside the home and earn money to pay the bills, it's doubtful they would have learned it from Matt if he had deigned to do any real parenting anyway.  Nevertheless, he had an obligation as a father to handle half the job of parenting, and I can't blame Amy for not being able to compensate for Matt's shortcomings as a father.  He dropped the ball more than she did in this respect, I have to say.  Not the other way around.

I also think it is important to note that the influence of having TLC write huge checks for the family and send them on lavish vacations probably did a lot more to undermine the boys' opinions about the need to have actual paying jobs than anything Amy ever did.  They learned early on that they could get by without really working due to those paychecks. And the decision to market the family via reality TV and forego having real jobs and suckle off the TLC teet was not made by Amy alone ...  Matt was just as much a part of that choice as she was.  And he bears equal responsibility for the effects of that decision on THEIR children. 

• Love 8

Let's talk parenting, shall we?

I'm even willing to ignore how Jacob was ignored by both parents, how Molly ran to the hills as soon as she was able, and how Zach is really lucky to have married a saint in the form of Tory who is willing to put the time in.

Let's talk about how Matt raised Jeremy and how Matt made his golden boy into a successful adult.

Oh wait - that's actually not what happened. Matt liked that Jeremy likes his ideas and such but... Matt really didn't seem too concerned when Jeremy was bringing in poor grades and didn't know his SSN number or the basics of applying for community college or work outside the farm. He allowed Jeremy to piddle around for three years after high school, never expecting Jeremy to do anything. And when Jeremy found his thing in the form of photography, was Matt supportive? Or dismissive? In fact Matt was pretty dismissive. Matt has always included Jeremy in the passive aggressive "I never thought he'd be able to do it" sort of compliment he hands out whenever someone in the family accomplishes anything other than nothing. Has Matt ever said he thought Jeremy would succeed as a photographer? Or has he said that Jeremy's photography is something Jeremy is trying? Before Jeremy returns to the farm?

In fact, I feel a little sorry for Jeremy, because his dad clearly doesn't think he's capable of succeeding away from the farm and hasn't supported his photography or his marital blogging (I personally concede the marital blogging is silly, but its very clear that Matt isn't impressed by it or by Jeremy's theoretical photography business) When Jeremy is at the farm, he's only given easy tasks - for reals, folks, he never ever led one of the wagon tours until he had Audrey to do it with him, all he did prior was drive a tractor. Matt doesn't give him any responsibility because Matt isn't really terribly interested in Jeremy taking over the farm (I also concede that Jeremy isn't terribly interested in the harder tasks) What Matt does, and has done if you watch the episodes over the years, is dangle the farm over Jeremy's head. Heck, he spent all last season dangling "we're gonna build you a house here" and prior to that, he's been insisting he wants one of the kids to take over the farm and then also insisting it's time to sell for YEARS. Jeremy's not terribly bright and Matt has been playing this game for years. Coupled with the money from the show, Matt has no reason to help Jeremy be successful on his own, what Matt wants is Jeremy to be needy and under his thumb - and he's getting that. A friend of mine summed it up nicely "Jeremy is just an incredibly dumb fish swimming in a circle around his father, who keeps moving the lure just out of range in order to keep Jeremy from breaking away and forging his own way in life.  Of course Matt has no intention of ever letting Jeremy have what he wants.  Then Jeremy would swim away and be independent.  It's a clever strategy ... and selfish as hell.  But as Matt said to Amy about his constant predictions he is about to die ... it's worked for him so far!  "

Matt is never going to trust Jeremy with any serious aspect of the farm. When Matt dies, that business will fall apart because Matt isn't interested in making Jeremy successful as the farm manager at all.

• Love 7

What does Jeremy want; do we know?  Maybe he just wants to inherit the farm & sit in his father's office doing management tasks & paying workers?  I thought the blogging was mostly Auj's thing. I can't imagine them making much money from that, although I guess some do really monetize their blogs.

• Love 3

Well, we are never treated to Matt sitting Jeremy down and explaining how to be an adult, even though it's done in humiliating frequency to Zach so... who knows?

And Jeremy pretty much doesn't speak now unless Audrey is there to nod approval...

• Love 5

I think that having a game at a baby shower that invites guests to give tips, advice, etc.  from guests who have never had children sets up an awkward situation.  I mean, what was Auj supposed to say?  If she had dispensed advice, it would have been odd and a little ridiculous.  Of course, she's going to be seeking advice like any other newly expectant mother.  There are times that she's normal and nothing seems odd, imo.  

Ref. the sandbox location.  My impression was that the kids would be playing with adult supervision, but, so that the grandparents could see them as they worked in their office or inside the home cooking.  A parent, sitter, aunt or uncle would be with them in the sandbox area.  Just my take on it.  

I did crack up when Matt asked Caryn to wave her arms out in the field.  OMG, so weird.  I think that was for drama purposes.  Not good, though.  But, that whole thing about Amy being bothered is part of the theme this season.  Even the previews make it appear that there's a huge battle over it.  I suppose you use what you have. Besides, they'll need more material for next season.  If Amy has her way, I suspect it'll be an Amy wedding with honeymoon in Hawaii!

• Love 2