Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Unneccessary Roughness

• Start Topic

Not sure about about the scriptwriting to filming timeline but the first "Scream" came out about a month before this plot line started (12/18/96 LA premiere). The whole multiple suspects/ nice guy/ horndog guy thing that Tara mentioned strikes me as blatant ripoff.

Well, horses were definitely a status symbol in that era (and probably still are, but I don't know anyone who had horses in the '90s and wasn't forced to sell them). Plus, didn't The Horse Whisperer come out around the time this aired? That movie was pretty popular, from what I remember.

• Love 1

How nice for Donna. All of her friends treating her as a hysterical wolf-crying idiot (Okay, I'll excuse them for the idiot part) when someone is actually threathening to kill her. Sigh. And acting as if it's weird to be scared of a guy who almost raped her not that long ago. On the other hand, this is a show that wanted us to think that a year was more than enough to totally get over your son/brother/best friend accidentially shooting himself to death, so why am I surprised? 

On another note: Tracy should realise that Brandon only slept with her because some one else was interested in her. (Oh boy, have I been there in my early twenties, guys who weren't the least bit interested until competition came along and they had to enter the territorial pissing contest. Wait, perhaps I slept with Brandon?!) 

"Eavesdropping like a Camden" made me laugh and laugh. If you ever get bored of the Bev-niners, I would give good money for just one episode of AWT: SevHev. Any episode would do - although there are obvious frontrunners.

• Love 4

"Eavesdropping like a Camden" made me laugh and laugh. If you ever get bored of the Bev-niners, I would give good money for just one episode of AWT: SevHev. Any episode would do - although there are obvious frontrunners.

I second that and will chip in to make it happen.

• Love 3

The last GIF must be what it feels like when people who do nothing ever, then go on vacation, and then they get criticized for not paying their child support and The Man threatens to put one of the deadbeats in jail, and they don't understand why everyone doesn't support them in going on vacation instead of paying their kid's tuition and rent.

Or something metaphorical and completely unfair like that...

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

Not sure about about the scriptwriting to filming timeline but the first "Scream" came out about a month before this plot line started (12/18/96 LA premiere). The whole multiple suspects/ nice guy/ horndog guy thing that Tara mentioned strikes me as blatant ripoff.

I was actually wondering where this arc fell into the timeline of when Tori Spelling was doing Lifetime movies.  In any case, this story really brings out the worst in Tori Spelling's already C-minus acting.

Weren't Steve and Dick at each others' throats over Claire?  How/why did they partner up for this scheme in the first place?

Was Val not invited to GNO?

Edited by TeeVee329
13 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I think there was a line i Scream about Tori - something about the main character wondering who would play her if her life was made in to a movie. Her bf(?) says "a young Meg Ryan" but she guesses that with her luck, it will be Tori Spelling. IIRC.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Nanna said:

I think there was a line i Scream about Tori - something about the main character wondering who would play her if her life was made in to a movie. Her bf(?) says "a young Meg Ryan" but she guesses that with her luck, it will be Tori Spelling. IIRC.

Heh. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the BevNiners had auditioned. 

Now that I think about, it is interesting that none of them jumped on that late '90s teen horror bandwagon and made bank (to my recollection). 

I think by the time that happened, they might have been a bit past their prime. By the time that bandwagon started, people had already moved on to the next-gen FOX kids (Party of Five) and the WB kids.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Nanna said:

I think there was a line in Scream about Tori - something about the main character wondering who would play her if her life was made in to a movie. Her bf(?) says "a young Meg Ryan" but she guesses that with her luck, it will be Tori Spelling. IIRC.

Yup.  And in "Scream 2", Tori does cameo as herself playing Sidney Prescott in "Stab", with Luke Wilson playing the Skeet Ulrich role.  

Tori also was in "Scary Movie 2" alongside Kathleen Robertson.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I think other movies/books/television shows have done variations on that plotline long before Scream came out.

• Love 1

I completely blocked this out. Donna's "friends" are the absolute worst! They seem so freaking put upon regarding Donna. Kelly's line about "that guy who almost raped her" reeks of this feeling that Donna is overreacting. Even for selfish reasons, wouldn't the roommates worry that a creeper knows their address and that Kelly/Clare's lives can be in danger too?
And the whole Tom/Kelly thing. Sheesh... OK show, we get it, EVERYONE loves Kelly and Val is sloppy seconds at best. It's like they can't give Val a single win... even her highschool bf who she is still boning will give up everything the second he sees Kelly.

• Love 3

ACK! TING!

Octo-bleat.

I feel that Jennie, Tiffany, and Kathleen could have done a decent job with this storyline. Tori, not so much.

I know (spoiler) that Jennie had her own rape story line but I can't remember if it was touching. It couldn't have been this bad though. I'm actually surprised given the high profile of the other women (Clare- chancellor's daughter, Kelly- "supermodel" (eyeroll) and Valerie- club owner) that they weren't subject to any unwanted attention.
Tori's acting made me think of how great a job Shannen did when she was held at gunpoint and was having the various PTSD symptoms.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I know (spoiler) that Jennie had her own rape story line but I can't remember if it was touching. It couldn't have been this bad though. I'm actually surprised given the high profile of the other women (Clare- chancellor's daughter, Kelly- "supermodel" (eyeroll) and Valerie- club owner) that they weren't subject to any unwanted attention.

But they're not virgins, and this show needs to engage in every stereotypical trope about virgins and stranger rape. (Eyeroll)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I completely blocked this out. Donna's "friends" are the absolute worst! They seem so freaking put upon regarding Donna. Kelly's line about "that guy who almost raped her" reeks of this feeling that Donna is overreacting. Even for selfish reasons, wouldn't the roommates worry that a creeper knows their address and that Kelly/Clare's lives can be in danger too?
And the whole Tom/Kelly thing. Sheesh... OK show, we get it, EVERYONE loves Kelly and Val is sloppy seconds at best. It's like they can't give Val a single win... even her highschool bf who she is still boning will give up everything the second he sees Kelly.

Yes on all accounts.  Also, wasn't Clare the original target of the rapist in the first place?  He even told Donna as much.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

And, if memory serves, Kelly proactively goes after Tom to stick it to Val, right?  Hypocrite bitch says what?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I can't verbalize enough how much I appreciate these visual aids especially with regard to Brandon. The braying, the face eating, that god awful coffee cup affectation, the pleated pants, the table top head and the long denim shorts with white socks and high tops.

These were all things that bothered me on some level back when this was originally on but ignored because I had a most potent crush on Jason Priestley. I thank you for exorcising these hidden and long lost demons.  

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 3

I know (spoiler) that Jennie had her own rape story line but I can't remember if it was touching.

I felt the writing was really bad by then...even worse than it is now, so the rape storyline was just...eh. I mean, not to dismiss rape at all, but I just felt it was a well written story to begin with.

Way to go Pysch Major/attempted rape victim Kelly. You would think she would at least have an idea of what her friend was going through, what motivated her stalker and how to perhaps help her friend. But nope, she's just as oblivious as Clare. And then, not for nothing, but, Donna is living in the same house and sleeping in the same bedroom where Garrett Slan attacked her - that sure can't be easy or normal. Talk about exacerbating PTSD. These are rich kids in a rental. MOVE, ffs. I know they built the set and all, but just change it around a bit. So, so weird.

God, this show just gets more and more problematic as the seasons go on and I can't believe I never noticed it before. Why, pray tell, are Brandon and MaMare talking about Tracy and who Tracy should be with? Isn't that Tracy's fucking decision? Didn't she make HER decision prior to meeting Bran the Man? If MaMare wants another shot, shouldn't he talk to HER about it, not her current useless boyfriend? WTF show? Why don't they just plan to duel at dawn for her favor. ... it was the 1990s not the 1790s, ffs. 

• Love 1

Oh, I had forgotten about the time Kelly was almost raped at that Halloween party.  It's amazing how unsympathetic these so-called "friends" were to each other when they were in distress.  Dylan was a scumbag to his sister and Brandon's ready to pin a medal on his chest.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Klaw said:

Didn't she make HER decision prior to meeting Bran the Man? If MaMare wants another shot, shouldn't he talk to HER about it, not her current useless boyfriend? WTF show?

I really cringed when he (MaMare-- hilarious) asked Brandon to give them some alone time.  Seriously, dude, if you want another chance, just call her another time.  It's not like the ranch was in another country.  I hated the ending too... like the men have to give each their approval.  Gross! 

As for what shitty friends these people are, in my mind, this is what Val came to realize when she was in therapy in Buffalo.  This group is a bunch of emotionally stunted avocado heads.

• Love 1

Late to the party, as always, but I remember this very distinctly because the Packers were in the superbowl that year. There are like, 2 people at Steve's party wearing cheeseheads, and it is just so sad. I assume they filmed this episode before knowing what teams were in the superbowl, and threw in some Packer fans just in case. Lazy.