Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Which Great Lakes states were answers in this category?

Pennsylvania, even though it has a short shore on Lake Erie which has ocean access.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Trey said:

Pennsylvania, even though it has a short shore on Lake Erie which has ocean access.

It also has access to the ocean via the Delaware River, but I'm assuming they meant direct access.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Trey said:

Oh, good catch. Pennsylvania even has a special "foot" that goes north to give it lake access. So odd writers would use that state when so many others have no water contact at all. I call foul along with you. If you can get to one of the Great Lakes, you are indeed NOT landlocked.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
23 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Although the advice to sue the restrooms at the Duty Free is never not good. :-)

Ha ha ha. Proofreading is a skill and an art.

Apparently so is typing, lol.  I would never, NEVER sue the Duty Free - they have great restrooms.

• Love 4

I googled "landlocked" and Wikipedia gave this definition:

A landlocked state or landlocked country is a sovereign state entirely enclosed by land, or whose only coastlines lie on closed seas

So, going by that definition - and Wikipedia is always right:), Pennsylvania is not landlocked, as you can get to the ocean from there.

Jeopardy! writers...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The problem is, no one can agree on one pronoun, and even then, it's much easier to use 'they' when you're unsure of someone's preferred pronoun.

Well yes it is complicated, and "they" is easier.  Many are fine with the "standard" pronouns, many prefer "they," and others that prefer that new one (I believe it's "ze" or something like that. I just use "you" when I'm talking to someone (also useful when I can't remember a name) until I figure out which pronoun they prefer. So far I haven't needed to use it when writing.

BTW, I'm not patting myself on the back here. This has been a journey over the last few years, and I've been slowly learning from my LGBTQ daughters who have transgender friends.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well yes it is complicated, and "they" is easier.  Many are fine with the "standard" pronouns, many prefer "they," and others that prefer that new one (I believe it's "ze" or something like that. I just use "you" when I'm talking to someone (also useful when I can't remember a name) until I figure out which pronoun they prefer. So far I haven't needed to use it when writing.

There's also 'ou'.  Can you tell I spend too much time on Slate?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Well, no surprise since it isn't landlocked. This show sometimes ...

We should nominate someone from this thread to keep their judges in check. Someone here always seems to catch their mistakes or WTH moments. 

• Love 5

Well, no surprise since it isn't landlocked. This show sometimes ...

To be fair, the question was:

Bordering a Great Lake but no ocean, it was the first on the list to become a state

And just out of curiousity (I have too much time on my hands today), Merriam Webster's definition of landlocked:

Definition of landlocked

1 : enclosed or nearly enclosed by land - a landlocked country

2 : confined to fresh water by some barrier - landlocked salmon

3 : living or located away from the ocean - a landlocked sailor

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

To be fair, the question was:

Bordering a Great Lake but no ocean, it was the first on the list to become a state

Geesh. I need to pay better attention. And good luck on that, Saber.

• Love 2

Geesh. I need to pay better attention. And good luck on that, Saber.

I had to look it up on J! Archive because I couldn't remember why the question didn't bother me, and why my husband said "Ohio."

• Love 3

Ah, Landlocked States explains Arizona.  Thanks!  This is when skipping around the board confuses me as I can't keep the categories straight in my mind.

I used to travel to Canada on business.  You had to state the purpose of your trip and you couldn't be doing work that a Canadian citizen could do.  I implemented software for an American company sold to Canadian customers.  I usually told them I was doing "post sales customer follow-up".  I was detained once by Canadian immigration (for three hours) and after I convinced them I wasn't stealing any jobs, by producing the 3" thick contract from my laptop bag, I received a wonderful looking giant document stapled into my passport.  I never had another problem and didn't have to carry those heavy contracts anymore .  My boss, the loudmouth, accompanied me one time and I had to cool my heels for several hours in baggage claim because he didn't listen to me on what to say.

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Fex said:

Oof, hard FJ tonight! I guessed Beethoven's ninth symphony, even though I knew he was too young for the date.

The wording of that clue was so convoluted. It took me a long time to parse it out.

I haven't been able to watch Jeopardy regularly lately, so imagine my delight when I finally sat down to watch an episode (tonight), and one of the contestants was an author I love to read! Tyler Dilts. It's a very distinctive name, I didn't even need Johnny to tell me his occupation, and I went "Holy crap, I know that guy!" Well, I know his work, that is... read all of his books. What a kick, too bad he didn't win. 

Do you happen to know him, Mystery Author? He's in your genre. [go ahead and drink, I said it like Alex]

• Love 7

Who's keeping stats?  Was that a new record for triple stumpers?

We had to learn to play a white plastic recorder called a flutophone.  And I got Surprise Symphony.  "Papa Haydn wrote this tune ... "

• Love 3

Ugh!  I don't like Ali.  

Last night, I got semantics and Hoboken.  Jersey in the house!  Woot!  Woot!

17 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

For FJ I thought Truman, but reread the clue and recalled the emphasis Alex put on HE and changed it to Dewey at the last minute.

I did the same thing.

Not a great game for me tonight.  I got Brady Bill and strikeout.  Granted, I'm a huge sports fan (go Phillies!), but I was shocked that was a TS.

No clue for FJ.  

• Love 4

Total blank for FJ tonight.  I could have stood there all night and never had a clue. 

I did get manicotti, platypus, Brady Bill, and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, though. 

Ali starting at the bottom of categories is pissing me off.  He can lose any time now.  For reals.

• Love 7

There were 10 TS’ers. 

I got mad at AT for correcting Lindsay’s enunciation of the word marvelous. It also wasted the time so we didn’t get to see the last clue on the board. 

You know AT was cringing when he heard Ali say merci. Lol. (Thought that was kindergarten Jeopardy as well) 

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fex said:

Oof, hard FJ tonight! I guessed Beethoven's ninth symphony, even though I knew he was too young for the date.

I thought it was Ode to Joy also as it was the only symphony that came to me with a subtitle. 

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Got Niagara river (how did they miss that?!) and resistance, but I don't think I've ever heard of the Surprise Symphony before.

I got those too along with manicotti, Brady Bill, platypus, Alpha Centauri and strikeout. I never heard of the Surprise Symphony either. 

1 hour ago, Driad said:

We had to learn to play a white plastic recorder called a flutophone.

I did too. My ears are now hurting from that memory. Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised parents didn't walk out of our recital. It was just so unpleasant to listen to, but I guess they loved us very much. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 9

Gutsy wager in FJ by Ali.  I wish he wouldn't start at the bottom, though.  I liked Tyler a lot.

I got manicotti and duck billed platypus.

I was beyond clueless for FJ.  I've never heard of the Surprise Symphony.

• Love 9

Definitely a lot of TSs tonight. Platypus? Really, contestants? How many monotremes are there? And if they didn't know monotreme, how about just strange Australian animals? And worse yet, the Niagara river (running by my original home town).

Also got Alpha Centauri, manicotti, gibbon, Galway and strike-outs. To my own surprise, I did get the Surprise Symphony. Strictly a guess - I couldn't think of anything else, and other symphonys I could think of with names were all either too late or not whimsical.

I don't mind Ali, although starting at the bottom of categories is definitely annoying. It usually helps to do a couple of the easy ones to get a feel for the category, before jumping to the bottom, as the number of TSs proved agian. My Jeopardy-watching friend pointed out that the heavy, black side-pieces of his glasses make it look like his heavy, black eyebrows extend around the sides of his head. That's the kind of thing that once you've seen it, it's all you can see.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, opus said:
On 6/12/2018 at 12:14 PM, opus said:

I was forced to play the recorder many many years ago. 

And now I know why. Thanks Carl Orff!

I laughed at the recorder answer knowing that you, Opus, are playing it in our band. It was a no brainer! I do own a recorder but my imagination is bigger than my musical talent. So there it sits.

2 hours ago, rubaco said:

Do you happen to know him, Mystery Author? He's in your genre. [go ahead and drink, I said it like Alex]

I wondered the same thing when I looked at the J website and saw he was an author. DRINK!

I like Ali, mostly because of his immigration story and the cr*p he got at the United States border. Plus he's calm. And holy smokes, he knew Surprise Symphony. He rocks in my eyes after that.

• Love 7

Interesting FJ bet by Bob Seger.  Almost worked.

K = Strikeout.  How was that a TS?

Thank you to The Police for the Lolita answer (from "Don't Stand So Close to Me" - "Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov.")

• Love 9

TSs I got were Niagara River and resistance as well as the DD of The Brady Bill.

I thought FJ was pretty easy. I mean, I wasn't positive The Surprise Symphony was the answer, but it seemed likely to me. I had a music class in high school where the teacher introduced this to us.

• Love 3
(edited)

Very surprised no-one got manicotti.

Alex, you had your chance with "merci beaucoup" yet gave it the North American rendition.

Oh, and Alex, I've never seen Jurassic Park, but believe it or not I knew amber.

With the ridiculous middle name Titanic, let's hope Ali's children aren't overweight in middle school.

Can someone explain the Snake River question (or just repeat it)?

The Dr. Strangeglove question/answer was really not a pun.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Can someone explain the Snake River question (or just repeat it)?

I can't repeat it, but it related to a famous Evel Knievel jump.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Oh, and Alex, I've never seen Jurassic Park, but believe it or not I knew amber.

Maybe from Diana (correct pronunciation, please) Gabaldon's Dragonfly in Amber. AT's Jurassic Park reference irritated me since the new movie is being pimped 24/7 everywhere. Even American Ninja Warrior had a t-rex on its course, and the movie promos play at the bottom of every show. When the raptor runs across the bottom of my tv, it looks like rats are loose on the tv set.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe from Diana (correct pronunciation, please) Gabaldon's Dragonfly in Amber. AT's Jurassic Park reference irritated me since the new movie is being pimped 24/7 everywhere. Even American Ninja Warrior had a t-rex on its course, and the movie promos play at the bottom of every show. When the raptor runs across the bottom of my tv, it looks like rats are loose on the tv set.

Nope, never even heard of her before recently on this board.  I guess I somehow have some reserves of general knowledge.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 11:50 PM, teebax said:

I'll join you in the stupid people corner. I guessed Etch-A-Sketch. When I saw they all got it immediately, I went back and re-read the clue. Nope, still would've said Etch-A-Sketch. (I used to shake mine a lot.)

I'm in the corner right there with you guys. I wouldn't have ever called that thing in the Magic Eight Ball a "die" because I thought it was triangular, rather than cube-shaped.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:45 PM, Fex said:

The category was landlocked states, so Arizona is the first alphabetically among those.

I had yelled Alabama and then had to rewind a couple of times because I forgot the category.

For TS I got Hoboken (used to live there and heard all the Sinatra lore), It Was A Very Good Year, and Yale, and the missed DD: Dakota. I thought FJ was an instaget until...

On 6/19/2018 at 9:06 PM, saber5055 said:

I said Truman for FJ. It could have been him, sending that telegram when he got the Chicago Tribune with the "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" headline. Then yeah, he was "surprised" when he found out he won after all.

My reasoning exactly.

What the hell was that weird political racist border crossing story by Ali?

Yeah i have to think that had more to do with being from Bahrain than Canada...

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 5

I was surprised that the same group that got an obscure baseball nickname (Dr. Strangeglove) didn't know that K was baseballese for strikeout.

Also, it is very weird to me to hear that I live in a landlocked state when this is the view from my window (the aircraft in it was accompanying Marine One when Obama flew into Chicago in 2014 and landed at the harbor). "Landlocked" may have a technical explanation, but it just seems weird.

ObamaLands1.jpg.6ffb4d8504aa8b76a8413e0a1990ce62.jpg

• Love 6

I know who he is, but I've never met him. I've read an anthology by my friends Jim Fusilli and Craig Johnson, and Tyler has a story in it.

Re: Crossing the border. I was once asked by a Canadian Customs Lady what I bought in the states. She had a heavy French accent (Alex would have loved her). I replied that I'd bought a T-shirt and a ceramic frog. Well! You'd have thought I was smuggling cocaine (or bibles). Two burly men searched my luggage. The men could have posed for an Immigration Cops Calendar. I would have bought one, maybe more than one... where was I? Oh, yes, they asked to see the frog. I said, "What's with the frog?" When I showed it to them, they burst out laughing. Seems the Customs Lady thought "ceramic" was a breed of frog and I was transporting a live froggy.

As I left Customs, I softly sang, "It's not easy being green..."

• Love 10
(edited)

I am sad that Deidre is gone, but glad that Ali beat her & not that annoying Jessica. Ali can bug, but when he is on a roll, he's on a roll. 

Did I get Monday's FJ? Magic 8 Ball says no :-D

A whole category about the year I became a Mrs. I will consider it a 3-weeks-late anniversary shout-out. 

On 6/18/2018 at 9:35 PM, peeayebee said:

Did anyone know that Starlight Express was inspired/based on Thomas the Tank Engine? I sure didn't.

I had no idea it was inspired by a series of children's books, but once the clue told me it was, Thomas the Tank Engine was an easy deduction.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:40 PM, SHD said:

Maybe they'll get some harsh feedback on that FJ and invite the women back.

Deidre I'm good with, but not annoying Jessica. 

8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I thought it was Ode to Joy also as it was the only symphony that came to me with a subtitle. 

I did too. My ears are now hurting from that memory. Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised parents didn't walk out of our recital. It was just so unpleasant to listen to, but I guess they loved us very much. 

I said Ode to Joy as well.

Thank God miniToothbrush #1's school did not have a recorder concert. The 2 littlest miniToothbrushes have not reached the recorder-playing grade yet, & I hope the school hasn't changed their policy. I haven't seen it on the school calendar these past few years, so fingers crossed. 

6 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Thank you to The Police for the Lolita answer (from "Don't Stand So Close to Me" - "Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov.")

That's how I got it. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Very surprised no-one got manicotti.

I couldn't remember the name! Ziti? No... Penne? No... Uh....

Right. My father was from Poland, and whenever my parents visited, they always returned with some amber jewelry.

The Dr. Strangeglove question/answer was really not a pun.

Why do you say that? The baseball player had trouble with his fielding (IIRC), so he was dubbed Dr Strangeglove. Strangelove to Strangeglove. 

• Love 7

I like Ali well enough.

I took the recorder clue as a shout out to The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra et al.

My ts's were Rawlings, Niagara and Galway.  How did they miss Niagara?  River connecting two Great Lakes with a big falls in between? Of course, I live a couple of miles from Lake Erie so I guess it's easy for me.

Never would have gotten FJ.  Didn't even have any sort of guess.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, Driad said:

We had to learn to play a white plastic recorder called a flutophone.  And I got Surprise Symphony.  "Papa Haydn wrote this tune ... "

We had something called "the tonette." The only instrument I ever learned - I could play "Hot Crossed Buns" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

13 hours ago, Kathira said:

Definitely a lot of TSs tonight. Platypus? Really, contestants? How many monotremes are there? And if they didn't know monotreme, how about just strange Australian animals? And worse yet, the Niagara river (running by my original home town).

2 families, 3 genura (had no idea that was the plural of genus), and 5 species. There's the pedantic answer of the day, which I had to look up. I can't resist a "how many" question. But really - two - playtypus and echidnas - which I what I was trying to come up with because for some reason the description of the eyes and such seemed more like that.

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Loved and knew amber well before Jurassic Park and Dragonfly in Amber - but then I was really interested in dinosaurs and such as a child. And maybe...I grew up in Europe, so there may have been a lot of it there?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

3 genura (had no idea that was the plural of genus), and 5 species. There's the pedantic answer of the day

I'll see your pedanticism and raise you one -- it's spelled "genera".    ;)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Why do you say that? The baseball player had trouble with his fielding (IIRC), so he was dubbed Dr Strangeglove. Strangelove to Strangeglove. 

I guess when I was in elementary school I learned that the words had to be pretty much homophones, and "glove" seemed too far from "love". Happy to stand corrected though  :-)

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

We had something called "the tonette." The only instrument I ever learned - I could play "Hot Crossed Buns" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

I can accompany you on those songs on my upright piano. Do you know "Chopsticks"? It's my specialty song. Maybe you heard me practicing for The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra.

FANTASTIC photo ChicagoCita. You obviously live in the high-priced spread. Having seen Lake Michigan so many times is why seeing the Atlantic/Pacific oceans was such a disappointment. I don't know what I expected, but they looked exactly like Lake Michigan to me. So yeah, landlocked indeed. Not.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I can accompany you on those songs on my upright piano. Do you know "Chopsticks"? It's my specialty song. Maybe you heard me practicing for The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra.

I "know" it, in that I recognize it. Never learned to play it - even though we do have a piano at home.

• Love 2