Type keyword(s) to search

Diana, Our Mother: Her Life & Legacy (ITV/HBO)

• Start Topic

An ITV production, airing jointly in the US on HBO on Monday, 24 July 2017.

Nearly 20 years after her death, Princess Diana's sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, recall their mother's influence on their lives, her public persona, and her humanitarian work as they leaf through a private family album.

This authorized feature airs tonight on ITV and HBO (and maybe other places too). Here's a NY Times story on the making of it, along with the trailer. I'm interested to watch and hope (perhaps against hope) there is some acknowledgment that she was not the altogether perfect princess often described - it seems much clearer, after all these years, she had real troubles while at the same time was undoubtedly a very loved person.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2017 at 1:45 PM, hendersonrocks said:

This authorized feature airs tonight on ITV and HBO (and maybe other places too). Here's a NY Times story on the making of it, along with the trailer. I'm interested to watch and hope (perhaps against hope) there is some acknowledgment that she was not the altogether perfect princess often described - it seems much clearer, after all these years, she had real troubles while at the same time was undoubtedly a very loved person.

This movie was made with the cooperation of her sons so it was a loving look but I wouldn't have expected anything less. William and Harry aren't going to say anything bad about their mother because for all her faults she does seem to have been an exceptionally loving mom. 

And I was surprised that William was more open and candid than Harry. I know Harry is supposed to be the extroverted one but he seemed very closed off. 

• Love 6

I thought it was pretty good - I appreciated the focus on her charity work, which to me really is even more remarkable in hindsight. I have tremendous respect for what she did to destigmatize AIDS. 

William's comments about the press seemed fairly spot-on, and I appreciated that it did include an acknowledgement that Diana played a role in creating the problems with boundaries. It's also pretty clear how all of it has led him to take a very, very different approach to the media with his own family. He's much more steely and reserved than I expected, and even than it seems Harry is. Harry has more natural charisma, but it also seems like he's perhaps not as comfortable talking about all of this as William. 

She was obviously a very loved and loving mother, and I think this was a nice way for the two of them to share some of her in a way they were comfortable with (and I think I've seen that they do not plan to do so again - this is it).

• Love 12

Some things about the documentary: 

1) I liked the videos of the wedding because you can see even then that the body language was off between Charles and Diana. 

2) The childhood photos and videos of Diana. It seems she was always tall and leggy, even as a little kid. 

3) Harry looks a lot like the Spencer family. William looks sort of like Diana's brother.

4) I didn't realize that Diana shaking hands directly was such a big deal. I notice even to this day Duchess Catherine/Kate keeps a clutch in front of her and sort of blocks off handshakes that way. 

5) Diana liked Enya? Heh.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

4) I didn't realize that Diana shaking hands directly was such a big deal. I notice even to this day Duchess Catherine/Kate keeps a clutch in front of her and sort of blocks off handshakes that way. 

I wonder if William has encouraged Kate to be less "touchy-feely"---not because of snobbery but more out of precaution?  No one could blame him of that's the case.

Both men broke my heart when talking about that last phone call.  Rushing mom off the phone has to be a terrible memory to carry around.

"Granny Diana.". Too funny.

• Love 11
(edited)

I loved it. Diana was such a beautiful woman--inside and out.

And I won't lie--I teared up and cried a little bit when they got around to the car crash that took her life. It took me back to when it happened. I remember I was watching Saturday Night Live, and thought it was a skit--one in very poor taste--when the news broke. Then I literally lost feelings in my legs and just dropped to the sofa when it turned out it had really happened.

I love how Prince Harry met with those two kids from Bosnia that Diana had met when she worked to get rid of those land mines.  

I am surprised that Sir Elton John didn't get interviewed. Or maybe he refused?

Overall, it was a very lovely tribute to their mother.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I am surprised that Sir Elton John didn't get interviewed. Or maybe he refused?

He was, you didn't see it?  It wasn't a long segment but he mentioned how few people he's ever met who just have a natural, genuine ease with people and he told Harry he sees that same quality in him.  I totally agree.  Harry never appears to be faking his interactions with other people - - he appears to be entirely present and engaged and it's so reminiscent of his mom.  

And I won't lie--I teared up and cried a little bit when they got around to the car crash that took her life. It took me back to when it happened.

Me too.  I remember hearing about the accident but being convinced she would recover. Someone that special actually dying?  Inconceivable! Hearing of her passing was like all the wind was knocked out of me.

Another part I loved?  William talking about his mom sneaking them candy and playing pranks.  Starbursts, Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell.  Very cool.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
Adding stuff
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

He was, you didn't see it?  It wasn't a long segment but he mentioned how few people he's ever met who just have a natural, genuine ease with people and he told Harry he sees that same quality in him.  I totally agree.  Harry never appears to be faking his interactions with other people - - he appears to be entirely present and engaged and it's so reminiscent of his mom.  

Oh, I saw that--when he was talking with Prince Harry, and the others who Diana had visited in the AIDS unit of that hospital? I mean, interview, like alone where he talked about their friendship; just as they spoke with her close friends, her former lady-in-waiting, personal stylist, etc.

I feel like such a scavenger, wanting to hear all this stuff that really is none of my business. But I really admired her. I remember watching her wedding to Charles with my parents when I was 10.  And then I remembered that interview she gave years later how there were "three people in my marriage." I felt so bad for her.

6 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Me too.  I remember hearing about the accident but being convinced she would recover. Someone that special actually dying?  Inconceivable! Hearing of her passing was like all the wind was knocked out of me.

I was hoping she would as well. I remember being disgusted at all the tabloids who "reported" her begging for help, for someone to save her, etc.

I also stayed up and watched her funeral. A very sad day indeed.

• Love 6

It's interesting that while the Duke of Cambridge was shown visiting the area of Diana's final resting place, he and the current Duke of Spencer were NOT interviewed together. I don't know how much interaction the late Princess of Wales's sons and brother have had since her funeral but I recall him saying that her 'blood family' would stay a vital part of her sons' lives thereafter.

Well, other folks who were touched by the late princess DID get interviewed with her sons and I was especially happy to hear that Harry has made it a point to take up the banner re trying to wipe out land mines!

It can't have been easy for the sons to have done these interviews -especially since, as diplomatic as they were, they ALSO have to consider their paternal side re the ending of their parents' union.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love how Harry met with those two kids from Bosnia that Diana had met when she worked to get rid of those land mines.  

I did too , but how heartbreaking was it for Harry to say that those kids saw his mom more recently than he had.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I remember I was watching Saturday Night Live, and thought it was a skit--one in very poor taste--when the news broke.

Sort of the same thing here. I heard about the crash and sort of forgot about it, assuming she'd be okay. Later I was talking to my sister (who hadn't heard the news) on the phone. She was talking and went "Wait, what?? Oh, my husband must have the tv on Saturday Night Live or something, they just said Princess Diana died." I shrieked "Oh NO!" We just couldn't believe it. 

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I heard about the crash and sort of forgot about it, assuming she'd be okay.

Same. My family were flipping through the channels and came across the news bulletin about her being in an accident, and we were like, "Oh, my god, how awful", but, like you said, just assumed she'd pull through.

Then we checked back later and saw them announcing she'd died, and there was a collective, "What?!" And I remember seeing a huge headline on the front page of our local paper the next day, saying, "Princess Di is dead" and I remember thinking it was so weird to read that. Especially considering it wasn't even a month or two prior that I'd seen a segment on some entertainment show about her taking part in a charity auction. 

I was 12 at that time, too (I'm the same age as Harry), so I also remember her death being discussed on the Channel 1 news program at school. 

I'll have to see if this special will repeat again or something, it sounds like it'd be pretty interesting to watch. I admire her sons for turning out the way they have. She'd be very proud, I'm sure. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'll have to see if this special will repeat again or something, it sounds like it'd be pretty interesting to watch. I admire her sons for turning out the way they have. She'd be very proud, I'm sure. 

If you watched it on HBO, I'm sure it's available On Demand.

And just like when she was alive, and after her death, heeeeere come all these articles with misleading headlines. The latest, Princess Diana's brother didn't know, or according to him, he was "lied to" about Prince Harry wanting to walk behind his mother's coffin. He learned from this special, that he didn't want to do that.  And now everywhere on my Yahoo! page are links to articles about her. I ain't clicking. Nothing but clickbait.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Her brother seems like a massive douchecanoe, generally speaking. I was surprised he was in this but then realized it is a great opportunity for him to a) be seen; b) ramp up interest in visiting the grounds where she is buried (which he owns and allowed the cameras to film). It surprises me zero he's taking as much advantage of the publicity as he can. 

Clickbait is right...and I have a feeling this next month, leading up to the actual anniversary, is going to be full of all sorts of Diana stories. I think it's the cover of this week's People, too.

The full documentary is also on YouTube, at least for the moment!

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

Her brother seems like a massive douchecanoe, generally speaking. I was surprised he was in this but then realized it is a great opportunity for him to a) be seen; b) ramp up interest in visiting the grounds where she is buried (which he owns and allowed the cameras to film). It surprises me zero he's taking as much advantage of the publicity as he can. 

I agree.

I feel really bad that Prince Harry hasn't been able to fully grieve for his mother. He said it's still all bottled up inside him.

My favorite part of this was seeing the two brothers going over the pictures and Prince William, or should I say His Grace, since he is a Duke? was telling Prince Harry how that one picture of Diana and young Prince William, that she was pregnant with him (Prince Harry).

For all her smiles in the posed photographs, you could see a great sadness.  But the pictures with her two sons? Pure love, laughter, humor.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My favorite part of this was seeing the two brothers going over the pictures and Prince William, or should I say His Grace, since he is a Duke? was telling Prince Harry how that one picture of Diana and young Prince William, that she was pregnant with him (Prince Harry).

You would address Prince William as Your Royal Highness, then Sir after that. He is not just nobility, as a Duke is, he is royalty.

• Love 5

I loved the Princes talking about Diana's more eccentric side, like her habit of picking out very corny cards and then writing the most off-color stuff inside, or dressing them up in bizarre outfits. Loved William saying Diana would be that crazy grandmother that the grandkids love but would drive the housekeepers nuts. Both of them smile and chuckle about these memories in a way that's so genuine. 

I also think it's sad that Harry admits he was very curt on the telephone with Diana because he resented having to talk to his parents on the phone so much. Looking back it's classic adolescent acting-out over a family situation, but still sad to hear him express regret to this day about it.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 7/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Some things about the documentary: 

1) I liked the videos of the wedding because you can see even then that the body language was off between Charles and Diana. 

2) The childhood photos and videos of Diana. It seems she was always tall and leggy, even as a little kid. 

3) Harry looks a lot like the Spencer family. William looks sort of like Diana's brother.

5) Diana liked Enya? Heh.

She also liked Barry Manilow. Just saying.

@Blergh: Diana's brother who was interviewed is actually titled as the 9th Earl Spencer, which he inherited upon the death of his & Diana's father; he's not a Duke like William is. And Harry is also continuing the work Diana started in trying to destigmatize HIV/AIDS, to encourage testing for it, & to encourage showing compassion to those with the illness instead of treating them like lepers or worse.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some comments.
  • Love 4

Oops, sorry about that BW Manilowe!

Somehow, I don't think the Princes' maternal uncle would raise too strong objections to being called a Duke instead of his actual title,though.

As long as others have mentioned memories of the late Princess of Wales's passing, I recall being online  chit chatting with someone I've long since lost touch with (and have zero interest in reconnecting with) and they mentioned something about an accident. Then, I went to the Yahoo! home page and ALREADY they'd posted her birth and death years.  Of course, in addition to the sea of flowers literally covering every square inch of the Kensington Palace grounds, what also stayed in my head was the single card reading 'Mummy' atop the coffin AND bursting into tears when I heard the Abbey bells muffled echo as the coffin was being carried out - as  those bells had rang the exact same chime sans muffling when she'd gotten married! 

I notice the Princes never have revealed what they said to Diana on their card to her- and I hope they NEVER do as they need to have at least a morsel of their private lives stay that way!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

She also liked Barry Manilow. Just saying.

Hee.  And I recall, years back, seeing some kind of tribute to her where Duran Duran was the featured act because the boys said that was her favorite band.  Hell yeah!   Who doesn't love Duran Duran?  

• Love 5

Being around the same ages as the Princes, I felt sad for them in that just a few short years, they will have outlived their mother. I felt like that fact was lingering over this whole doc, and may have more of an effect on both men than the actual 20th anniversary itself.

Both William and Harry seem really genuine and down-to-earth, the kind that can't be faked for the cameras. My heart went out to Harry when he said the Bosnian men saw his mother more recently then he did, and how he has to reconcile the fact that his last conversation with his Mum was a throwaway forced interaction.  I feel for the both of them on how they had to deal with the press after Diana died, and how I'm sure they still have to deal with it. How everything they do is seen through the scope of "How would Diana feel about what they are doing?" in the eyes of the press. I couldn't imagine how they could either  properly grieve,because the ghost of who she was follows them everywhere.

I love that they have taken up their mother's causes as a way of remembering her legacy. If the press is constantly going to bring up their mother, they might as well use her still-lasting influences to make the world a better place.

Being born a day apart from Diana, I see a lot of myself in her. I know people think astrology is a load of bull and perhaps it is. But I feel like I can relate to her loving and giving side, but also her moody and mercurial side as well. I can't imagine how self-destructive I would be if I was in a loveless marriage, knowing my husband is cheating on me, and having it be public knowledge. How it would feel that to hear everyone in the world say how much they love you ....but  to not hear it from  the ONE person who is supposed to feel that way about you?  To know that he's never really loved you? To have 2 kids with this man and to know that there is nothing you can do to make the marriage work and the public fall out is going to be huge? That's a mind fuck for real.

• Love 13
On 7/30/2017 at 1:54 PM, AgentRXS said:

I can't imagine how self-destructive I would be if I was in a loveless marriage, knowing my husband is cheating on me, and having it be public knowledge. How it would feel that to hear everyone in the world say how much they love you ....but  to not hear it from  the ONE person who is supposed to feel that way about you?  To know that he's never really loved you? To have 2 kids with this man and to know that there is nothing you can do to make the marriage work and the public fall out is going to be huge? That's a mind fuck for real.

From all I have read about Diana, and I have read a lot over the years as I always loved her, I think this was the most devastating and damaging thing to her.  She was praised up and down, the world over, for her beauty, her fashion sense, her charitable work, her nurturing side, how she was as a mother, how she represented England . . . but her husband (and to a large degree, his family) did not do so, especially when she most needed it.  Deep down, I think all she wanted was for Charles to acknowledge and commend her.  She made a comment at one time that was so apt - - if she and Charles had been able to come together and work things out, they would have been an unbeatable team.  It's so unfortunate they were not able to do that.

I watched this program last night and I'm certain that Diana would be so proud of her sons.  William seems like an amazing man, a good husband and father. I particularly enjoyed the clip of him at the homeless shelter/charity where he was chatting with people so easily and his interest was so apparently genuine.  Just as when he was with Kate, meeting the father who lost his daughter and the woman who lost her baby, he was so sincere in his sympathy.  He is so much like Diana in that regard. I believe he will be an excellent king one day.

Harry too has made excellent strides with his charitable work and wanting to continue his mother's legacy.  I'm sorry for him that he still has so much unexpressed grief. 

Seeing the clip of Diana trying to run from the paps, with them blocking her way, putting cameras directly in her face, made me hurt for her all over again. I remember when that was happening and hearing at the time that the photographers would tell her a picture would put their kid(s) through school and call her vile names if she wouldn't pose and/or to get a reaction out of her, like making her cry so they then could snap the shot and sell a pic to go with a story about Diana being unhappy, having a breakdown, etc.  Hearing William recount it was painful, along with the added fact of her being spit on.  She really was treated horribly by some of the media.

I do appreciate that William learned a valuable lesson about boundaries with the press, as Diana's personal relationship with many of them, while beneficial to her at times, also bit her in the backside.  

The clip of Elton John saying that Diana had an ability very few do, and Harry possessed that, made me cry - - especially when others said Diana's presence made everyone feel better and made things brighter.  With all her faults, she really was a blessing and she is still so very missed. 

I remember reading somewhere that someone close to her had said that she would hate where she was buried, because she's completely alone there.  I can't see pictures or video of her final resting place without thinking of that.  

A well done program, HBO.

• Love 12
On July 26, 2017 at 10:59 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I loved it. Diana was such a beautiful woman--inside and out.

And I won't lie--I teared up and cried a little bit when they got around to the car crash that took her life. It took me back to when it happened. I remember I was watching Saturday Night Live, and thought it was a skit--one in very poor taste--when the news broke. 

EXACTLY the same for me. I had SNL on as background noise, and was barely paying attention. When the news broke, I also thought it was a skit in poor taste...then the penny dropped, and I spun around from the computer and gaped at the teevee, absolutely stunned.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Seeing the clip of Diana trying to run from the paps, with them blocking her way, putting cameras directly in her face, made me hurt for her all over again. I remember when that was happening and hearing at the time that the photographers would tell her a picture would put their kid(s) through school and call her vile names if she wouldn't pose and/or to get a reaction out of her, like making her cry so they then could snap the shot and sell a pic to go with a story about Diana being unhappy, having a breakdown, etc.  Hearing William recount it was painful, along with the added fact of her being spit on.  She really was treated horribly by some of the media.

Ugh. How awful. Honestly, if invading people's privacy is the only way somebody can apparently "put their kids through school"...they need to find a new line of work. It's one thing to photograph celebrities at public events and things of that sort, but if they're out with their family or friends, or hanging out at home, leave them alone. The world can live without seeing photos of them taking their kids to the park or playing with them in the backyard or something, really, it can. 

• Love 10

I was working at Wal-Mart when it happened.  We were closing the store and a friend of mine walked by and just non-chalantly yelled out she died.  I was 21 years old at the time so while it was shocking I didn't think of it any longer than the 30 seconds it took to process it.  

Now that I'm older I realize what a real loss it was.  And being that I've lost my own mother in another set of tragic circumstances I can wholeheartedly relate to Harry and his having not completely grieved.  Losing your mother is devastating in a way that is very hard to articulate it.  I don't know if I will ever touch that part of me that hasn't grieved for her or if I want to.  I fear it might end up being a lot harder to contain and my guess is he does too.

Both boys seem extremely well adjusted even concerning the lives they lead.  I'm so happy that William married who he loved and I wish the same for Harry.  

In a way I also feel bad for Prince Charles.  I know he and his family were vilified when she died for not loving her enough and the strife they put her through, but I really feel like he regrets what went down between them.  I think he's super misunderstood in the public eye.  I've always gotten a very sad vibe from him and when she died I always find my eye drawn to his face in the clips of him walking behind that casket.  If I had to guess, he may have hoped for some type of understanding between them in the coming years where they might have gotten to be friends....but it never happened.  Not to mention having to help those boys through the unimaginable grief and anger they undoubtedly felt can't have been easy.

• Love 8

@CaughtOnTape, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.  Losing your parent or parents at a young age and/or tragically must be one of the worst circumstances to endure. 

I've never felt that Prince Charles was a bad person, just a very enabled and coddled one.  I think he and Diana were similar in that they both had fairly dismal childhoods and were emotionally starved for parental love and acceptance.  Because of that, I think they were looking for the same type of person to marry - - which is one of many reasons their marriage didn't work.   I also think he was jealous of Diana's celebrity and that turned into resentment.  However, it's been said that by the time she died, she and Charles were in a good place; that she understood his relationship with Camilla and that they had become friendly, if not friends.  I think it was Diana's butler who said she had left a letter for Charles on her desk the weekend she left for Paris and she signed it "Lots of love", followed by her name.  I doubt you'd be saying that, much less sending a note, to someone you still had a very brittle, acrimonious relationship with.  

I've been watching The Story of Diana and I agree with one of her friends who stated that, in the end, it was always Charles.  Despite whoever else she may have been infatuated with or in a relationship with, deep down she always wanted him back.  I think that's true. 

I followed Diana from the time of her engagement, when I was 12.  I thought she was amazing and I was crushed when she died.  Crushed for her sons and crushed because I believe she had so much more she could have done. 

• Love 7

I was up late working that night, with the TV on as company, but once the Breaking News started, I sat through it all until morning.

We were only separated, birthday-wise, by a couple of weeks, so even though I wasn't a huge fan, I was always...aware of her, there on the periphery of my life; a contemporary in a distant sense.

So when this contemporary of mine, this unconscious measuring-stick of my own mortality, died,  I was rocked far harder than I expected to be.  

That weekend I went to the British Embassy in D.C.  There were candles, flowers, and notes, and a small group of strangers, silently weeping and holding onto each other.

I hadn't brought anything, but at that moment, I felt like I should leave...something...behind, as tribute.

In those days, I had a keychain comprised of beads, decorated with drawings of the moon.  The moon is the ruling planet for Cancerians, which was her sign.  And mine.  I don't even really believe in that stuff!

But I pulled the string apart, and left the beads.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 8
On August 18, 2017 at 0:17 PM, psychoticstate said:

@CaughtOnTape, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.  Losing your parent or parents at a young age and/or tragically must be one of the worst circumstances to endure. 

I've never felt that Prince Charles was a bad person, just a very enabled and coddled one.  I think he and Diana were similar in that they both had fairly dismal childhoods and were emotionally starved for parental love and acceptance.  Because of that, I think they were looking for the same type of person to marry - - which is one of many reasons their marriage didn't work.   I also think he was jealous of Diana's celebrity and that turned into resentment.  However, it's been said that by the time she died, she and Charles were in a good place; that she understood his relationship with Camilla and that they had become friendly, if not friends.  I think it was Diana's butler who said she had left a letter for Charles on her desk the weekend she left for Paris and she signed it "Lots of love", followed by her name.  I doubt you'd be saying that, much less sending a note, to someone you still had a very brittle, acrimonious relationship with.  

That's nice to hear. And I agree: while I don't like the way Charles treated Diana during their marriage and I think he could have done a lot of things differently (namely not marry someone he wasn't in love with, I think he did care about her and did regret his own part in what happened. The fact that he was the one that brought her home from Paris speaks volumes.

I really wish I had HBO so I could watch this special. I watched all the others that have been on this month. I was 10 when it happened: my little brother came running into my room at 5 in the morning, yelling that Princess Siana was dead. I immediately turned on the TV and literally the first thing I saw was the image of the smashed car. I will never forget that.

Look, I know the driver was drunk and Diana wasn't wearing her seatbelt. But the papperazzi still had a role in what happened. They couldn't just let her have dinner without flashing photos in her face for one fucking night?!

• Love 3

I agree that Charles was not a great husband to Diana, but he came through for her in death, making sure she was properly acknowledged.   I don't blame the Queen and Philip staying at Balmoral, trying to help William and Harry in those first horrible days.  At the time, and still to this day, I can't quite understand the hysteria that gripped Britain.  I was appalled at the public pressure to have the boys appear in public before the funeral.  They had just lost their mother!  It was like the whole country went slightly crazy for a bit.  I remember the day of the funeral, the outrage when Charles wore a navy suit instead of black.  "That son of a bitch! What an insult!  How disrespectful!  He can go straight to he . .. .What?  He wore it because Diana liked him in that particular suit?  Never mind!"  

I also remember having a conversation with my mother at some point before Diana and Charles were engaged, and there were these stories of how the photographers would pursue Diana at high speeds as she drove in that tiny car she had.  My mom and I both said that it was a miracle there wasn't some horrible accident, and when it did happen 17 years later, we both remembered that conversation we had.  

I have always wondered how William's relationship with Catherine would have gone if Diana was still living then.  

Editing to add that I loathe Charles, Earl Spencer.  I thought his eulogy with its shots at the Royal Family was in bad taste, with William and Harry sitting there.  All that crap about being their blood family - what part did he play in those boys' lives before or after Diana's death?  What a douche.  He and Diana weren't even speaking when she died, because he refused to allow her to live in a cottage on the Althorp estate.  He always seems to show up like a bad penny for big occasions, talking about the boys as if he was intimately involved in their lives.  When Princess Charlotte was born and her name was announced, there he was talking about one of his daughters who is named Charlotte Diana, like William and Catherine copied him.  It can't be said enough - Spencer is a douche. 

Edited by Calvada
forgot something!
  • Love 5

I don't blame any members of the Royal family with their conduct and actions after Diana's death because there was no precedent for what happened.  She was no longer HRH, no longer royal per se but she was still the Princess of Wales and was still mother to the future king.  I think her service was her - - it exemplified who she was and what she stood for.  The only thing I don't like is that she's buried all alone, rather than with her family. 

I understand the outpouring of grief, both in Britain and around the world but like @Calvada, it was tragic for the boys.  I guess I somewhat understand why people wanted to see William and Harry - - they were and are Diana's legacy.  Maybe wanting to see them was akin to people traveling to London to Kensington Palace.  It helped to feel close to her.

I remember hearing about Prince Charles and the blue suit as well and I think it's incredibly touching that he did that.  I also remember hearing that when he went to Paris to retrieve her body, he asked where her earrings were - - that she never went without them and she would have wanted earrings on. 

At the time of the funeral, like many others, I thought Earl Spencer's speech was powerful but now, looking back, it was really very hurtful and did nothing to memorialize Diana herself.  Feel that you way if you like but don't say it in front of William, Harry, Prince Charles and the Queen.  Yes, Diana had her issues with the royal family but her funeral service was not the time or place.

Regarding living at Althorp, I also remember hearing that Diana wanted a cottage on the grounds (she called it a "cozy nest") but supposedly it was denied her for the security concerns (the place she wanted was very close to the road or gate and would provide serious security concerns for her and the boys when they were with her.)  Just another in the tragedies and what-ifs of Diana's life. 

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, psychoticstate said:

I remember hearing about Prince Charles and the blue suit as well and I think it's incredibly touching that he did that.  I also remember hearing that when he went to Paris to retrieve her body, he asked where her earrings were - - that she never went without them and she would have wanted earrings on. 

Regarding living at Althorp, I also remember hearing that Diana wanted a cottage on the grounds (she called it a "cozy nest") but supposedly it was denied her for the security concerns (the place she wanted was very close to the road or gate and would provide serious security concerns for her and the boys when they were with her.)  Just another in the tragedies and what-ifs of Diana's life. 

Re her earrings, I read somewhere that one of her earrings came off in the accident, and was found at some point when they examined what remained of the vehicle.  At the hospital after she died, they put the jewelry she was wearing when she arrived at the hospital back on her, but they only had one earring.  Apparently only having one earring on her body really bothered Charles when he saw her at the hospital.  

Another of the what-ifs is something that one of her sisters brings up in one of the many shows that has come out, which is the fact that Diana did not have her seat belt on, and apparently that was something she always did, without fail --- except for the night she got into a high speed accident.  

• Love 1

I thought this show was a lovely tribute to Princess Diana.  William and Harry both seem to be very genuine people, and definitely share many of her qualities.  They were so blessed to have Diana as a mother who did her best to raise them as down-to-earth as possible, given the circumstances.  They truly are her legacy, and I like to think she would be proud of who they are today. 

One thing that William said really resonated with me, about how he tells George and Charlotte about their "Granny Diana".  I lost my dad over 10 years ago, when I was in my mid-20s.  My little nephews will never meet their grandpa, and I was reminded how important it is to share memories and to tell them about him.  

• Love 5
On 8/27/2017 at 7:48 AM, lizzie3 said:

One thing that William said really resonated with me, about how he tells George and Charlotte about their "Granny Diana".  I lost my dad over 10 years ago, when I was in my mid-20s.  My little nephews will never meet their grandpa, and I was reminded how important it is to share memories and to tell them about him.  

I am far from a "royal watcher," so I don't know a lot about Diana, but one thing that seemed obvious from any level of attention is how much she loved her children (which should be a given, but the world is full of examples that it isn't).  I was thus interested enough in this production, from her sons' perspective, to track it down online.

I have a close friend whose parents both died before her kids were born, so "Grandma and Grandpa" has always meant her in-laws to them.  And she loves her in-laws as grandparents (and in-laws), but she still has a whole lot of feelings about that. 

So that's my personal background to say that segment with William particularly touched me, when he talked about how he'll often share stories of "Granny Diana" when he puts the kids to bed, so they'll grow up knowing they'd have had two grandmas who adore them, it's just one of them didn't live to be part of it all. 

• Love 8

NBC is airing their own special tomorrow featuring the interviews with Prince William and Prince Harry.  Harry at one point says that the one thing from his mother's death that still sticks with him to this day is how right after the car crash, the same paparazzi that had chased the car where all rubbernecking into the wreckage, trying to get a picture of Di while she was literally bleeding to death.

I'd call them vultures, but at this point, that would be an insult to actual vultures.

20 years today.  Hard to believe.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

NBC is airing their own special tomorrow featuring the interviews with Prince William and Prince Harry.  Harry at one point says that the one thing from his mother's death that still sticks with him to this day is how right after the car crash, the same paparazzi that had chased the car where all rubbernecking into the wreckage, trying to get a picture of Di while she was literally bleeding to death.

I'd call them vultures, but at this point, that would be an insult to actual vultures.

??????

And if it's okay for people to mourn Prince, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc. with tears and shock, then it should also be okay for those that cried and mourned for Diana.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I get that the paps were following her but once they saw the accident scene, any thoughts of taking photos should have gone out of their heads. The fact that taking a photo of the dying Diana was a priority to them is sickening.  The only thing worse, in my opinion, is the thought that Diana could have seen the flashbulbs or heard the cameras and realized that even while gravely injured, it was still all about the damn photograph. 

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

??????

And if it's okay for people to mourn Prince, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc. with tears and shock, then it should also be okay for those that cried and mourned for Diana.

I was one of those people.  I got up early to watch her wedding and I watched her funeral in tears.  She was as much a part of my formative years as my own family members and 80s music I loved (and still do.)  I can't recall my teen years without thinking of her and my heart still hurts for how much more she had left to accomplish and do.  Just a damn tragedy all around, compounded by the fact she wasn't wearing her seat belt.

• Love 5

I was one of those people too, @psychoticstate. I remember watching the wedding with my parents...SQUEEING that her favorite band was Duran Duran, and just bloody admired her. I also remember her consoling Sir Elton John at Versace's funeral. 

I may not have clutched my pearls, heaved my bosom, or pounded the ground (exaggeration, I know, but one would think that's how those that grieved over her death were acting like based on comments I've read), but I was upset; I cried and thought she was taken too soon and just when it seemed she was finally happy.

• Love 5

Anyone watch the NBC special last night? It not only had Willian and Harry, but also Diana's sister, brother, and Tony Blair.

It really stuck with me to see the boys speaking about what they were going through then, and how the grieving crowds left them feeling overwhelmed. Some of news footage of people on the street left me feeling appalled and angry, because they were acting like the royals were keeping the boys prisoner by not letting them go out in public. Seriously?! It's all fine for the public to mourn Diana, but Will and Harry lost their mother!! Did it ever occur to them that they wanted to be left alone for a while?

And of course the media fanning the anti royal feelings, passing the Buck to appease their own guilt in what happened. I can't imagine what the boys must have thought when they heard about the conspiracy theories accusing the royals killing Diana and making it out to look like an accident. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip might not have liked Diana, but I don't think they would ever do that to their own grandchildren. ????

Harry said that Elton John singing at the funeral was the closest he came to breaking down in public. And Will said that he was hiding behind his fringe (bangs) while walking in the procession to keep from crying. ?????

• Love 3

Agreed with your sentiments about the boys. Seeing those images of them back then, trying to keep their composure and follow the protocols in regards to their mom, was so heartbreaking. There were times in those old clips where it looked like Harry was kinda taking his cue from his big brother as to what to do and how to behave. I'm glad those two had each other to lean on throughout all of this. And my heart went out to them hearing about how they tried their best not to cry in public. They just looked like they needed a big ol' hug, the poor things. 

I also totally understand William's sentiments about feeling protective of his mom when he heard the mourners wailing as they passed, and being all, "You didn't even know her." I totally get that. Grieving is tough enough as it is, I can't even begin to imagine how much tougher and weirder it'd be to have the public mourning along with you, and seeing your mom's death being made into this big public spectacle. 

On 8/31/2017 at 11:23 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Oh, ick. Please tell me that's a criminal offense now? If not, it really, really should be. How disgusting. 

It's crap like that that makes me rather sympathetic to the celebrities who punch out paparazzi sometimes. 

• Love 4

I saw it! I thought it was very good - I appreciated the straightforward way it tackled the grief porn feel of it all.

The Queen looks better and better with each passing year for how she prioritized her grandchildren in the moment, and Charles got a little bit of positive mention for once. I really enjoyed hearing from Diana's sister. She seems like my kind of gal - a no-nonsense nurturer.

• Love 6

I thought the interviews with William and Harry really showed the pressure of doing one's duty that members of the royal family feel, even at the ages of 15 and 12.  Also, how it has taken them reaching adulthood to realize the grief the public felt, when at the time, they were so confused by that and resented the public in a way for usurping their grief.  After all it was their mother who died.  It also makes me think of what my mother taught me to say to someone who has suffered a loss.  She said one should never say "I know what you are feeling, what you are going through," because even if you have lost your mom, in the grieving person's mind that's nothing like losing their mom.  My mom taught me that one should simply say, "I am so very sorry for your loss and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you."  My mother lost a baby aged 3 days, and at the funeral, someone said to her it was God's plan.  She told me that at the time she, a deeply religious person, wanted to scream at God for taking her child, and she was grateful for the numbness she felt at the funeral, which prevented her from slapping that well-meaning person in the face.  This from my gentle and loving mother was a great lesson to me in how I should behave when someone has suffered a loss.  

• Love 7

I watched the Diana, 7 Days last night.  And I was teary while watching.  It's amazing that I have lost my grandparents and my best friend and I can think back on their deaths and not be as immediately emotional as I am watching the clips of Diana.  No idea why but I understand the grief from all sides. 

I remember at the time feeling so sad for William and Harry, as they did the "walkabouts" and viewed the flowers and tributes and shook hands.  I was an adult then and didn't fully grasp how horrifying it must have been for them.  I recall being very impressed that they were able to do it, to not break down and to even put a smile on their faces and tell the many mourners "thank you."  They were amazing young men then and amazing men now. 

I'm glad that, as adults, they understand the impact of their mother's death on people who didn't know her.  Diana did so much good for so many people and could have done so much more.  It's a damn shame and a full out tragedy. Like her sons, I also wonder what it would be like if she were still with us. 

Harry continues to break my heart - - it's obvious he still has so much unresolved emotion and grief inside.  He looked on the verge of tears a few times. 

In all, I thought the program was well done.  I liked the aspect of showing the aftermath of Diana's death in the seven days following the accident.  I also liked that neither the Queen nor Prince Charles was presented as the bad guy or monster; they were rightfully putting William and Harry above the nation's interests, which was the correct thing to do.  I also liked they briefly hit on the story of the Queen, during her "walkabout" with Prince Philip, viewing the tributes, and accepting flowers from a young girl.  The full story as I recall hearing is that the Queen asked the girl if she wanted her (the Queen) to put the flowers with the others for Diana.  The girl said no, the flowers were for the Queen herself.  It did make the Queen emotional because she was getting a battering in the press.  And an unfair one, especially now with hindsight, given that the Royals really had no compass or direction on how to deal with Diana's death and/or funeral.  She was no longer an official Royal and therefore not eligible for a state funeral and no one - - NO ONE -- could have predicted the outpouring of grief, not just in Britain but around the world. 

FWIW, I will never not be emotional watching Diana's sons walk behind her funeral cortege.  Never. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I also liked that neither the Queen nor Prince Charles was presented as the bad guy or monster; they were rightfully putting William and Harry above the nation's interests, which was the correct thing to do.

I don't know that the Queen was presented as a bad guy, but I do remember the Queen getting brutally criticized for her "cold" statement over Diana's death, to the point where she had to make a follow up statement. I remember it pissed me off. Who were the public to judge her? ????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know that the Queen was presented as a bad guy, but I do remember the Queen getting brutally criticized for her "cold" statement over Diana's death, to the point where she had to make a follow up statement. I remember it pissed me off. Who were the public to judge her? ????

Absolutely.  The fact that she made a public statement at all was pretty amazing.  She certainly didn't have to.  I think the public forgot that Diana had been her daughter in law and allegedly she was fond of Diana, at least at one point.  Diana was also her grandsons' mother.  I'm sure the whole family was grieving; if not for Diana directly, at least for William and Harry. 

She couldn't win, basically.  The Queen has been a member of the Royal Family her entire life.  She was brought up to not be emotional in public.  If she had been emotional, she probably would have been ripped apart for that.  I saw nothing wrong with her statement and I appreciated that she reminded the public that she was speaking as a grandmother, as well as her nation's queen.  She was also speaking as a mother, as Prince Charles was reportedly quite devastated by the accident. 

p.s. - I think the Queen was seen as a "bad guy" with the public for supposedly keeping William and Harry hidden away at Balmoral and letting them grieve in private. 

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

p.s. - I think the Queen was seen as a "bad guy" with the public for supposedly keeping William and Harry hidden away at Balmoral and letting them grieve in private. 

To use a Brit phrase, the people that thought this can "PISS OFF!" ??????The family is not obligated, nor do they owe the populace their grief. That is to put their grief on public display for them. I feel the same about American celebrities. It's like the public or fandom feel they're entitled to every little piece of them for some reason.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

To use a Brit phrase, the people that thought this can "PISS OFF!" ??????The family is not obligated, nor do they owe the populace their grief. That is to put their grief on public display for them. I feel the same about American celebrities. It's like the public or fandom feel they're entitled to every little piece of them for some reason.

Totally agree. 

I think the media, most especially after Diana and Charles separated and then divorced, forgot that Diana was a person.  She wasn't an object or a thing, she was a living, breathing person that they were pursuing to ridiculous lengths.   I cannot imagine what that must have been like.  Yes, she did court the media to a degree but no matter how much she may have encouraged them at times, or manipulated them, there is no excuse to spit at her, call her names, put a camera literally directly in front of her face or block her path, all in an attempt to force her into an outburst or tears so they could get that "magical" shot.  It's disgraceful and it's disgusting.  Made all the worse by the persons who were still attempting to get that damn shot while she was dying.  I pray that she had no idea that was happening.

I'm glad, at least, that William and Kate and their children don't appear to be subjected to the same level of harassment. 

• Love 4