This Is the Awards Thread

• Start Topic

They show has raked in quite a few Emmy nominations:

Best Drama

Best Actor for Sterling and Milo

Best Supporting Actor for Ron Cephas Jones

Best Supporting Actress (why supporting???) for Chrissy

Best Guest Actor for Brian Tyree Henry, Gerald McRaney, and Denis O'Hare

I think there are better shows in the running for best drama, but I think Sterling and Ron have a good chance in their respective categories.

28 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

They show has raked in quite a few Emmy nominations:

Best Drama

Best Actor for Sterling and Milo

Best Supporting Actor for Ron Cephas Jones

Best Supporting Actress (why supporting???) for Chrissy

Best Guest Actor for Brian Tyree Henry, Gerald McRaney, and Denis O'Hare

I think there are better shows in the running for best drama, but I think Sterling and Ron have a good chance in their respective categories.

I agree.  I'm also not at all sold on Milo's nomination, but whatever.  While I'm okay with this show being nominated for best drama, my opinion is that it is probably the 2nd weakest in the category (House of Cards did not have a good season.  I don't watch Better Call Saul, so I'm not sure how that one fares).

• Love 2
(edited)

I had to go look up who Brian Tyree Henry was, and who he played here. I remember him, but I am a little stumped as to why he got nominated for this role. I don't really think Chrissy deserves it either. Not sure about Milo, tho I certainly do like him. Sterling and RCJ, for sure. Fine with McRaney too, cuz he's so reliably good. So is Denis O'Hare, but really, how much did he have to DO here?  But I think all these noms are overkill, seriously. There are so many better programs out there.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I don't really think Chrissy deserves it either. Not sure about Milo, tho I certainly do like him. Sterling and RCJ, for sure.

Totally agree. Chrissy is fine, but she's not, like, an amazing actress (at least not in this role). Hell, the 8-year-old Kate does a better job with the characterization. Ambivalent on Milo too. Sterling and Ron, give them all the damn awards.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Chrissy is fine, but she's not, like, an amazing actress (at least not in this role).

Especially going up against Ann Dowd and Samira Wiley, the supporting actresses from The Handmaid's Tale.

• Love 3

This show has managed to disguise itself as worthy of nominations from the top award shows.

The hype and the apparent desperation to include broadcast TV in the drama category really worked in their favor.

Shaking my head.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

This show has managed to disguise itself as worthy of nominations from the top award shows.

The hype and the apparent desperation to include broadcast TV in the drama category really worked in their favor.

Shaking my head.

My guess is that having a category with *no* network shows wasn't going to fly.  Compared to the other shows on ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX, This is Up does stack up nicely.  It just doesn't hold a light to the good-to-great shows on premium networks or streaming platforms.

ETA: And I just ran across this article.  I think I felt the universe shrink a bit as Dan Fogelman's head expanded....  The article is a bit tamer than the headline, which makes it sound like TIU is the savior of broadcast television. 

• Love 1

Full list of Emmy nominations:

Best Drama

Drama Actor - Sterling K. Brown

Drama Actor - Milo Ventimiglia

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Ron Cephas Jones

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Chrissy Metz

Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Denis O’Hare

Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Brian Tyree Henry

Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Gerald McRaney

Casting for a Drama Series - Bernard Telsey & Tiffany Little Canfield

Contemporary Costumes for a Series, Limited Series or Movie - Hala Bahmet, Marina Ray & Elinor Bardach

(edited)

I'm happy for Milo & thrilled for Sterling, Ron, Brian & the show itself. TIU's not "perfect," but when it works-which, IMO, is most of the time-it proves that network TV can step up its game when it wants to.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm glad it was for Contemporary Costumes. Their period styling is total shit.

Somewhere, Justin Hartley is screaming at his agent, while simultaneously giving Milo and Sterling verbal tongue baths.

Edited by methodwriter85

Nominations are as much about politicking as actual talent or worthiness. Regardless of what anyone says, TIU has been a popular and critical success this past season. Of course one may not think that it is as "good" as a cable or streaming show, but that is just a matter of opinion. I think it deserves all the accolades.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Full list of Emmy nominations:

Best Drama

Drama Actor - Sterling K. Brown

Drama Actor - Milo Ventimiglia

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Ron Cephas Jones

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Chrissy Metz

Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Denis O’Hare

Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Brian Tyree Henry

Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Gerald McRaney

Casting for a Drama Series - Bernard Telsey & Tiffany Little Canfield

Contemporary Costumes for a Series, Limited Series or Movie - Hala Bahmet, Marina Ray & Elinor Bardach

It also is nominated for non-prosthetic make-up. 11 total nominations.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Especially going up against Ann Dowd and Samira Wiley, the supporting actresses from The Handmaid's Tale.

Yeah, for me Ann Dowd is a lock. She's fantastic. I am really happy for Milo since I think he acts the crap out of this part. He and Sterling might cancel each other out. And the guests are all good but McRaney made me cry so I'd go with him. 

1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

Somewhere, Justin Hartley is screaming at his agent, while simultaneously giving Milo and Sterling verbal tongue baths.

I think Justin thinks he really deserves a nomination. I lol at the fact that practically every single other person on the show has gotten a nomination but him. It's probably killing him. I think that will be his next thing to whine about now that he is on a hit show.

7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Totally agree. Chrissy is fine, but she's not, like, an amazing actress (at least not in this role). Hell, the 8-year-old Kate does a better job with the characterization. Ambivalent on Milo too.

I'm doing the rounds of my favorite show forums tonight and reading the various "so and so was snubbed" posts (most of them valid points), and I just keep thinking: and yet Chrissy Metz got nominated somehow.

(There was a moment there when I hadn't scrolled far enough down the list and I thought Chrissy Metz had been nominated and somehow Alexis Bledel (Handmaid's Tale) hadn't, and my head nearly exploded. I was just looking at the wrong category.)

Peak TV is a strange, strange beast. 

• Love 4

Sterling and Ron deserved the nods.  I'm ok with Milo, but not Chrissie.  Her performance is OK, but the reality is that Kate and Kevin's plots are flimsy and don't serve either actor very well.  I think the writers botched Kevin's plot more.  Him starting at the bottom of the barrel of his acting career after his on-air meltdown would have been more interesting than his slew of girlfriends, only one of which made an impact.  Who cared about bitchy actress or boring ex-wife?  At any rate, while I do think Kevin and Kate have had strong scenes, they were too scattered in the course of the season, and weren't enough to warrant acting nominations.

Honestly, if anyone on the cast got jilted, I would say it was Mandy.  She's got a tough job.  Rebecca is easily the most unsympathetic character in the show, but Mandy still manages to keep her human and relatable.  They just waited too long to make her seem like a person and not a harping bitch.  And it's really bad when you compare Rebecca to Jack, who was practically perfect in every way, save for a barely-there drinking problem and a possible-but-not-quite wandering eye.  

I'm a fan of Brian Tyree Henry (PaperBoy!) and Denis O'Hare, but those nominations do feel random.  

That said, I'm fine with the show itself getting a nod.  Love it or not, it's one of the biggest hits of the new season and had people talking from the pilot.  I think the nomination is deserved.  But the second half was much more treacly and manipulative, and if they continue with that, I don't see the This Is Us getting this kind of attention next year.

• Love 1

It's kinda odd that after giving practically every cast member a nomination simply for showing up and breathing, Mandy didn't get one. But then again, Rebecca IS the cause of all things horrible, so.

I guess I thought Emmy nods seemed to be (usually) when shows that weren't all about buzz and gimmicks could get some recognition.

I hate that this means that there will probably be even MORE monologues and guitar playing next season. It's as though I could hear Dan Fogelman saying more of the guitar!!! It's very Emmy-ish!!!

On 7/14/2017 at 0:59 AM, HeyThere83 said:

It's kinda odd that after giving practically every cast member a nomination simply for showing up and breathing, Mandy didn't get one. But then again, Rebecca IS the cause of all things horrible, so.

I guess I thought Emmy nods seemed to be (usually) when shows that weren't all about buzz and gimmicks could get some recognition.

I hate that this means that there will probably be even MORE monologues and guitar playing next season. It's as though I could hear Dan Fogelman saying more of the guitar!!! It's very Emmy-ish!!!

I can hear the sheer amount of monologues they'll give Kevin because Justin will insist on it. You know he's not okay with being the one "Pearson child" who doesn't have a Primetime Emmy nod.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I can hear the sheer amount of monologues they'll give Kevin because Justin will insist on it. You know he's not okay with being the one "Pearson child" who doesn't have a Primetime Emmy nod.

Yeppers. I think Justin thought he would get one for that monologue he did....LOL!

GMcR's award was, IMO, deserved. I especially liked what he had to say about his costars:

In his acceptance speech McRaney thanked This Is Us creator “Dan Fogelman for writing such beautiful show, Ken Olin for directing the episode of which I was nominated,” and, “the entire cast of this show who in so many ways make me better, especially Milo [Ventimiglia] and Mandy [Moore] who are simultaneously my colleagues and my masters.

I've been reading and watching some of the tv critics predictions about who will (and should) win and the consensus is that Sterling and Milo may split the vote and that the worst thing that happened to Sterling was Milo's nomination. Any thoughts? 

21 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

I've been reading and watching some of the tv critics predictions about who will (and should) win and the consensus is that Sterling and Milo may split the vote and that the worst thing that happened to Sterling was Milo's nomination. Any thoughts? 

Could be.  Sterling K. Brown definitely deserved to be nominated and I think he also would be deserving of a win.  I really didn't feel that Milo's nomination was warranted.  I mean, he wasn't bad--but I just didn't feel that his performance was Emmy-worthy.

I also find how the show divvied up who was a lead and who was a supporting actor to be a bit confusing.  I mean, I get that they can't all be leads--but Jack seems like much more of a supporting role and Kate seems to be more of a leading role.  My guess is that they tried to put the actors in the categories where they thought they had the best chance to win, even if that didn't really jive with the roles.

11 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I really didn't feel that Milo's nomination was warranted.  I mean, he wasn't bad--but I just didn't feel that his performance was Emmy-worthy.

I didn't either, in fact I find him to be the weakest acting link on the show.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

GMcR's award was, IMO, deserved. I especially liked what he had to say about his costars:

Sterling's Emmy should be in the bag. I'm gonna be so hurt if he doesn't win. I literally don't care if my Dad was nominated this year; Sterling earned it, as did Ron Cephas Jones. 

5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I didn't either, in fact I find him to be the weakest acting link on the show.

I hope the voters agree. I love me some Milo, but not this year, Jess. Next year maybe. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Sterling's Emmy should be in the bag. I'm gonna be so hurt if he doesn't win. I literally don't care if my Dad was nominated this year; Sterling earned it, as did Ron Cephas Jones. 

Oh, that warmed my heart and made me laugh. Though I'm sure your dad's a great guy. 

Who else is nominated in Sterling's category? Too lazy to look it up. Sorry. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, topanga said:

Who else is nominated in Sterling's category? Too lazy to look it up. Sorry. 

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Anthony Hopkins, Westworld
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards
Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us

I think that Brown's closest competitor is Bob Odenkirk.  I don't watch Better Call Saul, but I've heard great things about it and Odenkirk.  As I said, I don't feel that Milo deserved to be in this category and I think we can count out Anthony Hopkins and Kevin Spacey.  Hopkins is always good, but his role in Westworld wasn't the challenging role he can play (and it was much more of a supporting role) and Spacey is the "always a bridesmaid" in this category.  I have no thoughts on Rhys or Schreiber, so they might be contenders as well.

Just for fun...

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Michael Kelly, House of Cards
Jonathan Banks, Better Caul Saul
Ron Cephas Jones, This Is Us
David Harbour, Stranger Things
John Lithgow, The Crown
Mandy Patinkin, Homeland
Jeffrey Wright, Westworld

Ron Cephas Jones is great, but I would put my money on John Lithgow.  His Churchill was amazeballs.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black
Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale
Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
Thandie Newton, Westworld
Samira Wiley, The Handmaid’s Tale

I would consider Chrissy Metz a front runner here, not just because I think she does a great job with Kate, but also because her role is so much bigger than the others (I don't watch OitNB, so I apologize if I'm misspeaking there).  That being said, Dowd and Netwon were amazing and Millie Bobby Brown is definitely one of a kind.

@OtterMommy, I think Matthew Rhys is outstanding in The Americans and an Emmy win has been long in the making for him, so I'm rooting for him this year.

As for supporting actress, I have a feeling The Handmaid's Tale will clean up this year, so this one will go either to Ann Dowd or to Samira Wiley.

Just now, chocolatine said:

@OtterMommy, I think Matthew Rhys is outstanding in The Americans and an Emmy win has been long in the making for him, so I'm rooting for him this year.

As for supporting actress, I have a feeling The Handmaid's Tale will clean up this year, so this one will go either to Ann Dowd or to Samira Wiley.

I haven't watched The Americans (although I want to), so I wasn't sure about him.  It's also the final season, so that might give Rhys a boost.  I can see Dowd possibly winning, but I don't think Wiley has much of a chance.   At least, that's what I'm thinking...I could be way off base!

1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

I haven't watched The Americans (although I want to), so I wasn't sure about him.  It's also the final season, so that might give Rhys a boost.  I can see Dowd possibly winning, but I don't think Wiley has much of a chance.   At least, that's what I'm thinking...I could be way off base!

There's one more season of The Americans coming up (in early 2018), so Rhys has another chance to get nominated. But I just have a feeling this is going to be his year. I agree with you about Samira Wiley - IMO, all the other THT actresses outshine her - but for some reason she seems to be a hit with the critics.

• Love 2

Since last year's winner (Rami Malek) isn't nominated this year, Sterling has a great shot. I think it will probably be Anthony Hopkins, though. He's the biggest name actor and HBO is more prestige than NBC is. 

For supporting actor, it will probably be John Lithgow. Again, last year's winner (Ben Mendelsohn) isn't nominated either, so they'll probably go with the bigger name. 

Supporting actress could go to Chrissy. I would put more money on Uzo Aduba, though, since she's won before and had a solid season last year for OITNB. I wouldn't be shocked if it were Samira Wiley, either, though. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Guys, stop talking Sterling out of a win. This is hurting my feelings, which I know is how you make your decisions.

Look, Samira Wiley can beat Chrissy Metz. But the other two categories, I shall not budge. Randall and William or bust. 

Hey, I'm with you on Sterling!  If he doesn't win, I'm going to blame the Milo nomination (even if that wasn't the case.  It's an easy scapegoat).  Personally, I will be pissed if Wiley wins over Metz.  I'm fine with Dowd winning (or even Millie Bobby Brown or Thandie Newton), but Samira Wiley seems to be the weak spot in the field for me.

Oh, and as for shows....

Drama Series
“Better Call Saul” (AMC)
“The Crown” (Netflix)
“The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
“House of Cards” (Netflix)
“Stranger Things” (Netflix)
“This Is Us” (NBC)
“Westworld” (HBO)

I don't think This is Us has a chance, honestly.  TIU, along with House of Cards, really seems like the weakest in the field.  Personally, I would like to see The Crown win, but I'm pretty sure it will go to The Handmaid's Tale.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

but Samira seems to be the weak spot in the field for me.

I think she would win more as a goodbye to her OINTB character. Also, I should add that This Is Us is the only drama I have seen that is nominated. So I am blissfully ignorant. 

Just now, BoogieBurns said:

I think she would win more as a goodbye to her OINTB character. Also, I should add that This Is Us is the only drama I have seen that is nominated. So I am blissfully ignorant. 

The Drama category is pretty strong, actually.  I don't watch Better Call Saul, so I have no idea there.  I have, however, watched all the other shows and, honestly, TIU just seems to be in a lesser class.  If only broadcast shows were eligible for this award, this would be a different story.  This is Us is not perfect, but it is among the best of the current broadcast dramas.  It's just that the cable and streaming dramas are so much better.  Westworld and Stranger Things were both incredibly creative and unique in the best way.  The Handmaid's Tale is one of those shows that happened to air at just the right time (I think it would have been a good show no matter when it aired, but it definitely has an advantage over the other shows in this regard).  I'm incredibly critical and can nitpick anything, and The Crown is the one show I've watched in recent years that I couldn't find one thing that I could complain about (and it is absolutely gorgeous).  House of Cards had a weak season but, looking at the entire run, it's a strong show.   

To me it's like college football and the NFL.  This is Us could be the National Champion, but it still isn't going to hold up against the pros.

• Love 1

I've only seen "This Is Us" after having recently binge-watched over 3.5 days, so what am I doing on this thread?  Well, kind of an introduction to myself as a TIU viewer; I will be tuning in for S2.  I agree that if either of the TIU actors, Sterling or Milo, win it should be Sterling.  Definitely.  I doubt Metz' performance is any better than anyone on OITNB, let alone Uzo, but I haven't seen anything else.

Thanks OtterMommy for your recommendation of "The Crown."  I'm going to give it a go on binge-watch.

I binge-read most of the TIU threads, especially the UO threads, so this is all condensed and new to me.

Thanks everyone!

• Love 4

Since last year's winner for Drama Series isn't nominated this year, it's a little bit of a crap shoot. However, I think The Handmaid's Tale is going to win because of the political aspect. A broadcast network show hasn't won Best Drama since 2005 (24), so that's a huge handicap for TIU. 

14 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

Since last year's winner for Drama Series isn't nominated this year, it's a little bit of a crap shoot. However, I think The Handmaid's Tale is going to win because of the political aspect. A broadcast network show hasn't won Best Drama since 2005 (24), so that's a huge handicap for TIU. 

I agree that the political aspect will be what probably puts The Handmaid's Tale over the top.  It was a good show, but really made it stand out were the real-world comparisons.  

Regarding broadcast shows, though, it is interesting to think about their current track record.  As you said, they haven't won for a drama in over 10 years (it's only been 2 years for a comedy, when Veep ended Modern Family's reign) and they only have one nominee for best drama and 2 for best comedy (and, honestly, I didn't think either Black-ish or Modern Family deserved a nod this year).  I don't know how the money breaks out--how much broadcast networks can spend on a show vs. cable vs. streaming, but it seems pretty clear that streaming (and HBO) have the money to pull the best writers and actors.  Still, it seems like cable and streaming are working to improve each year, while broadcast has sort of been in a stalemate for quite some time.  

Bringing this back to This is Us, though.  I don't think it is as creative as the other shows, but then I don't think that sort of "uniqueness" is necessarily required to make a great show.  The Crown is essentially a biopic, which by its nature limits what the writers can do with the story.    But TIU also isn't written as well and, as has been lamented on the UO thread, it does seem saccharine and manipulative.  Still, it is one of the best broadcast dramas, and I think that illustrates a problem not just with this show, but with the major networks as a whole.  Since it is viewers that bring in advertisers, who bring in money, I do hope that the networks take a good look at this.  They may not have the budgets of Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc...but that doesn't mean that they have to be stuck where they are.   

Bringing this back to This is Us, though.  I don't think it is as creative as the other shows, but then I don't think that sort of "uniqueness" is necessarily required to make a great show.  The Crown is essentially a biopic, which by its nature limits what the writers can do with the story.    But TIU also isn't written as well and, as has been lamented on the UO thread, it does seem saccharine and manipulative.  Still, it is one of the best broadcast dramas, and I think that illustrates a problem not just with this show, but with the major networks as a whole.  Since it is viewers that bring in advertisers, who bring in money, I do hope that the networks take a good look at this.  They may not have the budgets of Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc...but that doesn't mean that they have to be stuck where they are.

What is it that the 4 major networks lack that premium cable and streaming shows have? They are restricted from showing nudity, adult language and extreme violence. Are those the things that make a drama better, or at least more relatable to viewers? I don't know. 

I really didn't feel that Milo's nomination was warranted.  I mean, he wasn't bad--but I just didn't feel that his performance was Emmy-worthy.

Being nominated is not dependent on only an actor's performance. IMO a lot of it is Hollywood politics. Also, it all depends on the episode that the actor submits for the nomination. Unless all 20,000 members of the academy watched all 18 episodes of TIU, all they saw was Milo's submission, "Moonshadow" and Sterling's "Memphis." Sterling has a bit of an edge being a previous Emmy winner too. His character had more scenes to show off his range too, IMO. 

My money's on Bob Odenkirk. 

5 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

What is it that the 4 major networks lack that premium cable and streaming shows have? They are restricted from showing nudity, adult language and extreme violence. Are those the things that make a drama better, or at least more relatable to viewers? I don't know. 

That's definitely not why I've watched the cable shows that I've loved like ,"Better call Saul," or "Mad Men," in fact neither of those shows had much if any of that.  I agree with you, the violence and nudity is one of the reasons I haven't followed some of the cable shows that have received high ratings.  I'm not a prude but I do have limits of what I'm comfortable with.  Many of the network shows are  wholesome entertainment, though, regardless of the amount of language or violence. Many of their sit-coms are one stupid sexual innuendo after another and the reality shows like Big Brother show bad behavior rewarded over and over. Cable is certainly not all bad though and the writing is often far superior.  I would rather have my teen age daughter see Kim on "Better Call Saul," as a role model over any woman I've seen on Network TV, "This is Us," included.

I too watch cable, network and premium channel shows, though fewer network shows. Most shows I DVR so that I can fast forward through the commercials. Not knowing how much money goes into the production of the show, I'm not sure that non-network shows cost more, therefore making them "better." Anyway, I think TIU deserves its nomination and I wouldn't be unhappy if it were to win the Best Drama Emmy. 

I love This Is Us, but I don't think it deserves an Emmy for best drama. It's too cheesy.  They rely on musical swells and overacting to try to elicit emotional responses instead of just letting the writing stand.  I don't think any of the cast particularly deserves an award either.  The first half of the season was so good, but the second half was so over-the-top it reminded me of a soap opera.  Long lost ex-wives!  Stable guys sexual harassment! Walking out of plays on opening night! Dramatically quitting a job over some pears!  Man dies just after seeing his home town one last time and the son he abandoned calling him "dad!"  There was no more nuance.  

I just can't take this nomination seriously. I feel like this type of show (for many of the reasons deaja mentioned) typically isn't a part of the Emmys, and actually feel as though many would have laughed in the past at the idea of such a show being included. And also, it feels like it got its nomination by campaigning alllll season looooong. Non-Stop.

• Love 1

I think the appeal of TIU is that it is different from anything else out there on any network, cable, premium or streaming service. I know there are something like 400-500 shows over all platforms, and that includes dramas and comedies. I don't find it cheesy, but it is sentimental. it is also critically acclaimed and has a devoted fanbase. If you look at the shows nominated for Best Drama they include two sic-fi fantasies, a historical drama, two political dramas and a character driven prequel. 

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 0:04 AM, OtterMommy said:

I just scanned through the replay of the awards tonight.  I was surprised to learn that this was his first Emmy, he's been around so, so long! I had also forgotten that he was married to Delta Burke, most notably of Designing Women.  I was equally surprised to learn that she never won an Emmy for that role.  I would have sworn otherwise.  I just remember her making me laugh out loud all those years ago. 

On 9/11/2017 at 8:00 PM, OtterMommy said:

Could be.  Sterling K. Brown definitely deserved to be nominated and I think he also would be deserving of a win.  

On 9/12/2017 at 10:50 PM, AmandaPanda said:

Supporting actress could go to Chrissy.

I feel like one of these two will win.  It will be the Emmy nod to a popular network show that has some critical acclaim (even though it annoyed the bejezus out of me by the end).  I remember The Good Wife being nominated for best drama several seasons, it was phenomenal for a number of seasons.  But it just couldn't get the overall win despite the quality, only Marqulies and Punjabi won the awards in different years, which seemed like a nod to the show without giving it to the show.  I note, however that The Good Wife,  being so much better in quality at the time, didn't have the This Is Us ratings, so who knows if that is a factor. 

On 9/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, OtterMommy said:

It's just that the cable and streaming dramas are so much better.

Does anyone remember the Cable Ace Awards from the olden days back when cable was "new", that used to be a separate "lesser" award than the Emmys?  I confess I have no recollection of how they ended up being consolidated with the Emmys, but I'm sure some folks at the networks regret that ever happening!!!

Edited by pennben

I'm preparing myself for Sterling to lose, but I really, really want him to win.

On the other hand.....

I'm preparing myself for Chrissy to win, but I really, really, ummmm, don't want her to win.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:20 PM, Aloeonatable said:

I think the appeal of TIU is that it is different from anything else out there on any network, cable, premium or streaming service. I know there are something like 400-500 shows over all platforms, and that includes dramas and comedies. I don't find it cheesy, but it is sentimental. it is also critically acclaimed and has a devoted fanbase. If you look at the shows nominated for Best Drama they include two sic-fi fantasies, a historical drama, two political dramas and a character driven prequel. 

Personally, I don't think this show is that much different.  It might be unique among what is one right now (however, I don't watch Transparent, but from what I know of that show, it does seem to be in sort of the same ballpark as TIU), but it wasn't that long ago that we had Parenthood and Brothers and Sisters and a whole slate of family dramas.  TIU is actually a very typical family drama, a format which has been very common in the past, but might not be quite as common right now.