Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Hullen Have Eyes

• Start Topic

So, getting the band back together doesn't always go smoothly and the Soviet Hullen spy town thing was kind of creepy with just enough of a scifi twist.  But Delle Seyah and Aneela... I don't know, that felt like bad fanfic.  

Not sure why but after 2 really strong episodes, this one just didn't resonate for me. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I have to mostly agree with @tessaray.  This one felt pretty flat, even though it really shouldn't have.  I don't know how to describe it, but it felt like most of the beats were mistimed or some such.  Quite a few of the one-liners, quips & snark didn't immediately jump out at me like the first two weeks.

So 'Super' D'avin is being set up as the Hullen King, sans the actual Hullen.  Got his own fleet of their ships and everything.  I don't exactly know why this part of the story aggravates and irritates me so, but it does.  I think its because it feels a bit too much like a deus ex machina that's always in the queue, waiting to be fully employed when easy outs are necessary for the plot or episode run-time.

With Zeph around, Dutch has her very own 'Nerd Herd'.  Johnny's got his work cut out for him in showing her the ropes when it comes to putting the team before needing to be right.

Ok, so the first "you ran away and now we have to readjust to normal" dialogue was espoused, but when are we going to finally learn that D&D either didn't know why Johnny took off exactly, or if they did know about his shooting DSK.  It probably shouldn't, but it bugs to not know the dynamic.

Speaking of DSK, I think they kind of blatantly telegraphed that she (& Aneela) will be trying to trap & capture Johnny at some point - "I know a way you can hurt her" and as well as oh so conveniently allows the opportunity for payback (on DSK's end).  Was nice to see her get shown her place by the older dude, though... even though it won't last now that she's ingratiating herself with Aneela.

Note to self;  Aneela doesn't handle upsetting news well.  And I must applaud HJ-K for her voice work as Aneela.  Its both cool to see "Dutch" sound so different, but also creepy to hear her talk like a 'valley girl' that can turn on a dime and just slashes, stabs, and hacks her people up because she heard something she didn't like.

Did like the Khlyen sighting, though.  Hope we get more of that this season - in any fashion (recordings, memories, etc).

Speaking of Khlyen, how did DSK know he died (& how)?  Wasn't it depicted that not long at all after Khlyen died, Johnny tricked DSK into the meeting and shot her??  How/when did she find out about his death and the exact circumstances???

Line of the Night =  Quin to D'avin:  "I thought you'd be better looking."

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I have to mostly agree with @tessaray.  This one felt pretty flat, even though it really shouldn't have.  I don't know how to describe it, but it felt like most of the beats were mistimed or some such.  Quite a few of the one-liners, quips & snark didn't immediately jump out at me like the first two weeks.

Speaking of DSK, I think they kind of blatantly telegraphed that she (& Aneela) will be trying to trap & capture Johnny at some point - "I know a way you can hurt her" and as well as oh so conveniently allows the opportunity for payback (on DSK's end).  Was nice to see her get shown her place by the older dude, though... even though it won't last now that she's ingratiating herself with Aneela.

Aneela's mannerisms alone before the hacking incident show that she wasn't working with a full deck. I would like to know who supposedly betrayed DSK.  I did like her getting put in her place by the commander as well.                                          

12 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Note to self;  Aneela doesn't handle upsetting news well.  And I must applaud HJ-K for her voice work as Aneela.  Its both cool to see "Dutch" sound so different, but also creepy to hear her talk like a 'valley girl' that can turn on a dime and just slashes, stabs, and hacks her people up because she heard something she didn't like.

Unfortunately, Aneela just doesn't do it for me. I understand what the character is supposed to be. I just don't think HJK can really bring the character to life. The little scenes so far of her make me think bad acting. Try hard. It could very well be the fault of the script. Her sibling rivalry with is funny considering they may have never met. I'm ready to find out more about Dutch's family. We really don't know how she feels about them. And why Aneela and Dutch look alike. I wonder if that question will be interlinked with her family.   Dutch also needs to stop ranting about wanting a war. Girl, we get it.

Edited by Kuther2000
Spelling error
  • Love 1

I enjoyed having everyone back together. The "old fashioned and deeply wrong" town felt very Fallout, and I kept expecting someone to pull out a Nuka Cola or something. 

I honestly think part of the problem with the flow of the episode was cutting to the scenes with Aneela and DSK. I get that they are trying to build up to something, but it just didn't work in this episode. I think it is also that I find Aneela less scary if she doesn't have control. I am not sure why. I guess she feels less calculating because she seems like she can be manipulated. It makes her less fun as a bad guy.

However, I enjoyed the main story. I liked the creepy factor, and loved the line about how on the scale of D'av weirdness, going to a Hullen town and having no memory of it was a 6 or so. I also enjoyed the fallout from Johnny's departure and return. There should be some discussion. Overall I thought it was solid, though definitely a step down from the previous episodes.

• Love 1

Maybe it was the headache I was battling, but I had a hard time getting into this episode.

Nice seeing Johnny back among the fold, but the whole Hullen plot just rolled over me.

I'm liking the dynamic between Delle Seyah Kendry and Aneela.

(edited)

I liked the Hullen training camp set-up must have been inspired by those tales of dupe US-cities in the USSR to train sleeper agents - the hologram's 50's get-up was great. And how the remaining humans developed a creepy religion helped along by the remaining Hullen ward was an intriguing take on religion (not for the first time in this show), but I did not understand how the ward got cleansed.

Zeph isn't really working for me yet. Not because of her antagonism toward Johnny but because it's so predictable. However Johnny lecturing her on nerd-duties (i.e. keeping the action folks alive) was great.

Glad we got some sort of answer to that scene with D'Avin and the ships in the pilot. I don't mind his special part as it was always clear that would remain a major plot point. But why he never noticed that he had a black-out is a bit weird (after all that went down in season one you'd think he'd be more alert).

Feeling neutral about Aneela and DSK; missing Pree, Fancy and Alvis.

ETA: Dear Quin, if you think D'Avin is not that good-looking you're in for a rude awakening.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
(edited)

2 episodes in a row without Pree, Fancy and Alvis is bullshit. 

I also notice that I seem to be the only one with a mad hate for DSK. I actually found her scene with the Commander disappointing, because I hoped that he would just kill her. But alas, no. It looks like we get to endure a whole season of the Annela&DSK show. I hope the next time Johnny shoots her, he does a better job!

New geek has yet to grow on me too, mostly because I feel she is stealing screen time that could be spent on Pree, Fancy, Alvis and even Turin.

I was an interesting reveal that Aneela knows about Dutch! I can't wait for that ball of crazy to unravel. 

I think that Quinn is the most interesting of all the new characters that they have tried to introduce this season so far. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her and less of the New Geek Squad.

Thank God for the Jaqobis'! D'Avin and Johnny were responsible for 90% of the fun this episode. (:

As an aside, the new RAC bosslady mentioned that they have strict rules about killjoy being 100% mod-free. What kind of stupid, no-sense-making rule is that?! You would think that bountyhunters would be the first people lining up to get enhancements.

Edited by CaptainTightpants
  • Love 1

I was surprised that I guessed correctly back in the S3 premiere thread that the Hullen ships might have more than just cloaks, but maybe jumpdrive capability.  Is it also possible they have time travel capability ?  Or did D'avin travel the to the training camp the first time he entered that Hullen ship at the end of S3E1 and it cloaked almost immediately.  And somehow he forgot or his mind was wiped.

Zeph is going to take some getting used to.

I did enjoy watching Delle Seyah literally getting her nose rubbed in it when she was told to clean up the blood. Or the fact that an underling of Aneela did it to her.

Not enough Alvis, Pree or Fancy.  I guess Quin is going to go live with the Scarbacks.

Like most of the above commenters this episode was well flat for me. I was over the top excitedly enjoying in the previous two eps so to have a meh episode was disheartening. And yes need Pree, Alvis, and Fancy please.

I wonder if it will come in to play that Johnny got the ship to return planetside, even though he didn't know what he did, after it jumped to orbit when the solar flare occurred.  IE, was it just "blind luck", or did it have to do with him being D'avin's biological sibling?

• Love 2

I'm on board with everyone else in that I miss Alvis, Pree and Fancy.  I'm happy to see it looks like at least 2 of the 3 will be back next week.

I could take or leave the new nerd.  She hasn't alienated me as a character or won me over yet.

I will sit at my table alone but I am SO HAPPY that Delle Seyah is back.  I've always  found her to be such a wonderful antagonist to all of the Killjoys.  The relentless burning ambition, the superiority in her personal interactions with them.  She's a wonderful villainess in my book.  Though I admit I hated Pawter and am glad she's gone, so that could have something to do with it.

I actually am intrigued by Aneela.  I find the unstable to be FAR more terrifying then the calculating.  Calculating people have a sense of reason or purpose.  Unstable.......is so unpredictable.

Not as strong as the previous two eps but enjoyed it all the same.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I wonder if it will come in to play that Johnny got the ship to return planetside, even though he didn't know what he did, after it jumped to orbit when the solar flare occurred.  IE, was it just "blind luck", or did it have to do with him being D'avin's biological sibling?

I thought it was an automatic response, that the ship jumped out of danger and then returned when it was safe. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I thought it was an automatic response, that the ship jumped out of danger and then returned when it was safe. 

That's a very valid take - and most likely scenario. 

I was just hoping for a spot of intrigue, maybe spread the "special" around just a slight bit instead of putting it all in D'avin's cup.

And don't forget D'avin's anti-Hullen abilities.  If Klyne was going to put anyone in charge of those ships, D'avin makes the most sense since he's practically uncorruptable by the Hullen.  Otherwise I really enoyed the episode, glad to see the team back together and liked the new Nerd addition.

Hmm, maybe I was just in a good mood or really happy that John is back with the gang, but I really enjoyed the episode.  I like the idea of a "Hullen training camp" and the bizarre old-school neighborhood (kind of reminded me of the Fallout video game series), Quin was a pretty likable character, and there was plenty of hilarious moments and one-liners.  At the same time, I did like that they had the brief moment where they had D'Avin admit that he's still upset at John for leaving, so they aren't going to gloss the entire thing over.  But overall, it was just a fun "mission of the week" episode, with the original trio being awesome as always.

That said, I'm trying to remain patient and give her a chance, but Zeph is working my last nerve.  I don't if it is just the writing or the actress, but she is just grating and not in an entertaining way.  I was pretty much on John's side for the entire thing, even if I think some of his attitude was due to feeling like he was being replaced.  But even when she is right, she comes off like a jerk about it.  Hopefully the little talk between her and John at the end will get her to try and change some of her attitude.

The stuff with Delle Seyah and Aneela was dipping into bad camp territory at times, but I kind of enjoyed the hell out of it.  I don't think she'll rival Tatiana Maslany or anything, but I think Hannah John-Kamen is a blast in the role and making her sound and act completely different then Dutch.  And I'm equally enjoying her henchman too (the actor played Dr. Strickland on The Expanse.)  Granted, a lot of it could be that I just enjoy seeing Delle Seyah actually on the defense and loosing the majority of her smugness and almighty attitude.  But she did seem to be making steps at the end at appeasing Aneela, so we'll see if she can pull this off.

Glad to see Khylen again briefly, even if it was in a video.  But it sounds like before he died, he somehow transferred some of his future plans to D'Avin, due to the connection they had last season?  I wonder what else old Khylen had cooked up.  I'm glad he's still playing a factor into this, even after death.

I do hope Pree, Fancy, etc. return soon.  And more Lucy, please! 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hmm, maybe I was just in a good mood or really happy that John is back with the gang, but I really enjoyed the episode.  I like the idea of a "Hullen training camp" and the bizarre old-school neighborhood (kind of reminded me of the Fallout video game series), Quin was a pretty likable character, and there was plenty of hilarious moments and one-liners.  At the same time, I did like that they had the brief moment where they had D'Avin admit that he's still upset at John for leaving, so they aren't going to gloss the entire thing over.  But overall, it was just a fun "mission of the week" episode, with the original trio being awesome as always.

I think when I re-watch, I'll have an improved feel of this eppy.   I admittedly was not in the best frame of mind, and I think that affected how I viewed it the first time.  Still don't think it was as 'strong' as the first two - which surprises me, because I will always be a "the show is better when the core three are together & a team" guy - but this episode did have its moments upon reflection, though just a quite a bit fewer of them than the opening two hours.

I'm willing to hand wave the D'avin is Harry Potter stuff.   But there were two things that seemed like they were either really dumb or should have registered more.

1) i'm not a fan of DSK but why would Aneela have her be a hullen who can command?  It is clear from Aneela's chief of staff that being a follower doesn't mean you can't take initiative or show judgment (he was trying to tell DSK not to say Khylen was dead).  So it should just mean they can be controlled.  If you create DSK as a follower you have someone with huge knowledge of the Nine completely at your disposal.  Aneela may be a madwoman but she is a strategic one.

2) hace we ever been given any reason to think that you can be de-hullenized? Yet that is supposed to be what was happen to the last seer? If that can happen don't you think figuring out how that works would be task number 1?  I suppose that could be what the "remnant" does but i don't know as going off after thuggish mercenaries would be my first step if i knew there was a way to get rid of the hullen.

55 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

I'm willing to hand wave the D'avin is Harry Potter stuff.   But there were two things that seemed like they were either really dumb or should have registered more.

2) hace we ever been given any reason to think that you can be de-hullenized? Yet that is supposed to be what was happen to the last seer? If that can happen don't you think figuring out how that works would be task number 1?  I suppose that could be what the "remnant" does but i don't know as going off after thuggish mercenaries would be my first step if i knew there was a way to get rid of the hullen.

Regarding the 2nd point, I think it was intended to point that the "Last Seer"s Hullen came from Arkyn.  When Khlyen poisoned that source, the Hullen in the Last Seer died, or became inert, whatever.  IE, de-Hullanized him.

30 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Regarding the 2nd point, I think it was intended to point that the "Last Seer"s Hullen came from Arkyn.  When Khlyen poisoned that source, the Hullen in the Last Seer died, or became inert, whatever.  IE, de-Hullanized him.

Ah, thanks.  That makes sense.

I think this is the slowest of the episodes this season, but even then I thought it was a fun episode. I liked having the original team together, doing their thing, I liked the creepy blind town underneath the creepy fake 50s town, and I liked most of the stuff with Delle Seyah and Aneela. Hannah is clearly having a blast playing this hammy villain role, and she definitely feels like a very different person than Dutch. Also laughed at the guard guy taking Delle down a peg. Even a meh episode is still pretty solid this year so far.

This show does really interesting with religion, even for just one episode plots, like here with the blind people and prophets and stuff. You don't get a lot of religious stuff in science fiction, at least where its just in the background as world building and not as a big part of the story. I like how its just there as a part of the world, and how the different religions are created makes sense within the context of the plot and the world.

The new nerd is alright, but I don't find her very interesting yet. Whenever she shows up, I just find myself thinking "I wonder what Pree, Alvis, and Fancy are up to now? Sure do wish they were around".

• Love 4

I agree completely, but the consensus seems to be that the lack of FAP* is not a highlight of the past couple of episodes.

I'm just gonna call that trio "The FAP Brigade" [TFB].  a) because it sounds funny and (most importantly) I'm too lazy to type out all the names all the time.  And if Zeph somehow gets shifted into that 'team' later, the new squad name will be "The FAPZ".

* = Fancy Alvis & Pree

• Love 4

I like Zeph.  She's the character who most resembles how I think.  She seems a bit OCD about needing to prove her theories right.  This character trait may lead to issues with her mission to test the Remnant, either because she disobeys an order to not test a theory or because she doesn't consult with the rest before doing so.

I found it rather endearing when she was walking in a circle repeating something that I couldn't hear clearly and Johnny asked her if she was praying.  Something about a circle.

• Love 1