Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

I can't even imagine growing up in a family like that.

Preach. The effects on an introvert of a massively intrusive family -- surrounded by sound equipment and video cameras yet -- has to be exhausting and excruciating to the max. I often wonder how many of the kids are that sort. ... And why at least one of them hasn't fled screaming into the night at this point because of the mental torture. John David's kind of only-half-being-there may be the only response we actually see. Plus, maybe he gets to sit alone in a patrol car or an airplane in a distant airport from time to time to collect himself.

• Love 11

Preach. The effects on an introvert of a massively intrusive family -- surrounded by sound equipment and video cameras yet -- has to be exhausting and excruciating to the max. I often wonder how many of the kids are that sort. ... And why at least one of them hasn't fled screaming into the night at this point because of the mental torture. John David's kind of only-half-being-there may be the only response we actually see. Plus, maybe he gets to sit alone in a patrol car or an airplane in a distant airport from time to time to collect himself.

I think one of the little girls is like that, maybe Jenny? The one that got glasses with Michelle. She seems introverted, and if I'm not mixing the girls up, she seems to be the one that often appears bothered to be photographed.

I think there is mental torture for all to some degree anyway. The only place they can be alone is in the bathroom, and if they're in there too long, someone comes looking.

I grew up in a family of six, and being alone to crawl inside a book, day dream, or just think, was very important for all of us.

• Love 11

I think one of the little girls is like that, maybe Jenny? The one that got glasses with Michelle. She seems introverted, and if I'm not mixing the girls up, she seems to be the one that often appears bothered to be photographed.

I think there is mental torture for all to some degree anyway. The only place they can be alone is in the bathroom, and if they're in there too long, someone comes looking.

I grew up in a family of six, and being alone to crawl inside a book, day dream, or just think, was very important for all of us.

Yeah, I think it's Jenny you mean. ... Somebody mentioned the other day that she's always "turned the other way" in family pictures, too. lol

I wonder about the bathroom. In my family, you weren't allowed to close the door. (no closed doors to kids' bedrooms either, of course) ha  (this single fact may explain about 90 percent of my personality, I expect...) 

I suppose they don't go that far. But I imagine that loitering isn't encouraged.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Yeah, I think it's Jenny you mean. ... Somebody mentioned the other day that she's always "turned the other way" in family pictures, too. lol

I wonder about the bathroom. In my family, you weren't allowed to close the door. (no closed doors to kids' bedrooms either, of course) ha  (this single fact may explain about 90 percent of my personality, I expect...) 

I suppose they don't go that far. But I imagine that loitering isn't encouraged.

Yikers Churchie! Not closing the bathroom door! Yeesh, I hope you have had many years of closed bathroom doors since then!  Sending you virtual ((((HUGS))))!

• Love 10

Yikers Churchie! Not closing the bathroom door! Yeesh, I hope you have had many years of closed bathroom doors since then!  Sending you virtual ((((HUGS))))!

Thanks. On the bright side, the communal showers in the junior-high locker room didn't traumatize me nearly as much as they did some other people!

(The door could be kept at about a 45 degree angle. ... Luxury!)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

I agree that I don't want Jana to marry if she's entering into a more abusive situation. However, it is my hope that JB will view the VSEs as his best chance back onto television, so he will try to optimize VSE opportunities by arranging relationships for fan favorites like Jana or Jinger, and if he's aiming to win back some public favor, he will chose suitors that provide plenty of "FU Internetz!" moments (i.e. a guy with an education, job, home, etc.) JB can't afford another Ben who offends people with his religious rants or Derick who has been accused of missionary grifting. JB needs to pick a suitor with a halo who, even us on the snark boards, can't help but love. He needs to find a Chad Paine, if you will. I would be happy if Jana or Jinger ended up with a Chad Paine-type who genuinely adores them as Chad does Erin as a "silver lining" of this situation. 

Any relationship that is approved by JB will be an abusive one. That's his criteria. 

• Love 4

I wouldn't consider Ben and Derick to be abusive. Just dim-witted. 

Jim Bob just wants to manipulate his daughters. His criteria for a husband is someone who allows him to still manipulate his daughters even while they're married. The men that JB approves have the same beliefs as him, that men should oppress women. Jessa and Jill may have happy marriage now, but that's because they've just started. Derrick and Ben may seem like nice guys now, but they hold the belief it is a man's right to oppress women. If they didn't believe that JB wouldn't have approved them.

Edited by mangosplums
  • Love 6

The Duggar plane just landed at the Tennessee airport 10 miles away from the Bates' home. Maybe the Lawson & Jinger rumor has some substance after all? Or maybe Jim Bob's just paying a summoned penance visit to Gil to repeat his mea culpas. In any case, flight records from the last few months don't suggest there's been much congress between the two families (other than unavoidable meet-ups at other fundie weddings). Hmmmm ..... 

• Love 5

The Duggar plane just landed at the Tennessee airport 10 miles away from the Bates' home. Maybe the Lawson & Jinger rumor has some substance after all? Or maybe Jim Bob's just paying a summoned penance visit to Gil to repeat his mea culpas. In any case, flight records from the last few months don't suggest there's been much congress between the two families (other than unavoidable meet-ups at other fundie weddings). Hmmmm ..... 

AR is playing TN in Knoxville right now. I guess JD dropped a couple of Duggars in for the game. Nothing more than that, I think. 

#becausetheycan

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

AR is playing TN in Knoxville right now. I guess JD dropped a couple of Duggars in for the game. Nothing more than that, I think. 

#becausetheycan

I'm not so sure about that unless there's another reason like filming or courting or it was a paying customer and not a Duggar thing. JB was so cheap he stopped letting the kids play broom ball once the rink started to charge.

• Love 2

If Jinger was courting Lawson that would bring another couple into the filming mix which would be good--Lawson has plenty of personality to contribute.  I guess if that were true though Lawson would be in Arkansas for the current filming.

• Love 1

I don't disagree with you. JB has deliberately chosen submissive, beta-males for his daughter so he can continue to call the shots. However, I don't think that means that Ben and Derick are oppressive to women. If anything, it seems like Derick has encouraged Jill to finish her midwifery training, such that it is, and Ben has been supportive of Jessa as she works the speaking circuit. 

I don't think that we have enough information about Derick and Ben's own personal beliefs to label them as oppressive to women. JB? HELL yes. But not Derick and Ben -- at least not yet

The fact that Derick encouraged Jill to get her CPM - and that Ben supports Jessa on the "lecture" circuit doesn't exactly bode well for either one of them, IMO. It does, however, show that they clearly have no trouble with their women working, or being in the position to work, to pay the bills. Neither of these two apparently-healthy young males has gainful employment at present. And one has a child in addition to a wife. And no, scrubbing toilets and cutting grass for your FIL doesn't count.

• Love 5

Okay Jinger was NOT flown to Tennessee. Jessa posted a picture of her and Joy at the Tinker Toy House with Razorback patches on their cheeks. Now, JESSA could well have been in TN and just had that pic sent to her to show how they were rooting for the team back home. 

Duggar Official FB just posted pictures, saying that Jinger, Joy, and Joseph went to the TN game and hung out with the Bates. 

Some of the comments on that page are less than complimentary!!  I'm surprised they haven't been deleted.  Unless they only post pictures and don't read comments.

OTOH, neither Bin or Derick came from a family with such a powerful headship as Pa Bates. So, in the battle of headships, Pa Bates may win this round. 

Pa Bates has a pretty big stake in winning, I'd bet. Isn't Lawson the one who's fairly often bought food and such for his parents' mob of offspring out of his earnings? They can't let him go to Arkansas. Who'd see them over cash shortages?

Dysfunction here, dysfunction there, tons of dysfunction everywhere.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11

If they are prosperity gospel, and they sure do seem to be, now is the time for them to show their followers how much they have. Because weirdly, the fact that they're rich and have all sorts of fancy Stuff means that God likes them so a really lot. Poormouthing is for the romantics watching TLC, who don't know or care to about all the grifting from poor folks and lucrative political advocacy deals.

Me, I'm waiting for one of the prosperity churches to build a giant needle and ceremoniously lead a camel through it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 15

Pa Bates has a pretty big stake in winning, I'd bet. Isn't Lawson the one who's fairly often bought food and such for his parents' mob of offspring out of his earnings? They can't let him go to Arkansas. Who'd see them over cash shortages?

Dysfunction here, dysfunction there, tons of dysfunction everywhere.

Why do i have a picture in my head of Bates and JB smoking fat cigars in a war room setting...dimmed lights. .negotiating a partnership? "I'll give you THIS..but you need to fork over THIS"

I'm sorry but i can't get excited about anything Jinger related. I see her as Jessa v2-raccoonstyle.

I don't know if its her resemblance to her mother or the Constant snide eyerolling or what. I've just never cared one way or the other where she lands.

• Love 4

Me, I'm waiting for one of the prosperity churches to build a giant needle and ceremoniously lead a camel through it.

Remember the old Alec Baldwin SNL sketch - a rich man is shrinking camels with genetic engineering until they fit trough needles. The first attempt was a liquefied horse through a straw.

I can't see what the Bates get out of a Duggar marriage, AT ALL. It's a total step down from their 'class' of Gothardism. Maybe Jim Bob is using that 350k house as a dowry? The Duggars will remain radioactive losers. You can do better, Gil!

• Love 8

Why do i have a picture in my head of Bates and JB smoking fat cigars in a war room setting...dimmed lights. .negotiating a partnership? "I'll give you THIS..but you need to fork over THIS"

Yeah. I get that picture, too. ... Both professional grifters and con men.

• Love 5

Maybe Lawson truly cares for Jinger and wants to marry her regardless of her family's standing. I hope so.

Or they're both desperately horny, sheltered, optimistic morons who need to escape their parents, pronto. Apparently that's the best way to start a marriage. It's God's way!

• Love 14

Maybe Lawson truly cares for Jinger and wants to marry her regardless of her family's standing. I hope so.

I hope so, too. But they live in pretty abnormal circumstances with very very few roads out that they're actually permitted to contemplate -- Jinger, especially. So I think we have to realize that the chances of their actually doing things out of such normal motivations are slimmer than they might be.

• Love 3

Yeah. I get that picture, too. ... Both professional grifters and con men.

It'll be interesting to see how they negotiate the wedding special. Will TLC/JB or UP/Gill get the get. Since its usually in the bride's court will UP get even part of the event. Will the families even be speaking after all is said and done. Seems like a bit of a nightmare. I hope its true...

• Love 4

And JB making the case that Lawson can have his business anywhere and why not Arkansas.  What with all JB's property and investments, there will be plenty to do, while on JBs payroll and therefore beholden.

• Love 1

Interesting suggestion somebody made about the new house possibly being Jinger's dowry. .... Seems to me that a house owned by Jim Bob and close enough for him to drive to in under a minute would be less of a dowry and more of a killing curse. ...

But then, unlike Jinger, I've always made enough money from jobs to afford at least some place to live. And I'd prefer even my first rat-friendly rooms and efficiencies paid for with my money to any pool-equipped mansion paid for with Jim Bob's. But I hadn't been enjoying Uggs and foreign trips and iPhones at her age, either. So maybe she'd rather have a fancy prison complete with tow chain/anchor/noose. And maybe Lawson's sick of picking up the grocery tab. I guess we'll see. (that is, if this is true and not just more ratings-driving pr from both families)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

So what I take from current events is that apparently nobody in this prowling mob of grifters and grifter-humpers can smell a dump. But they can all detect the faintest, barest, most imperceptible hint of the intoxicating perfume called "Possible New TV Show."

If Marjorie truly is sniffing around Josiah again, then to me she's showing her true colors. And they're very unattractive colors on a 17-year-old girl. She might as well buy herself a casting couch.

• Love 12

If Marjorie truly is sniffing around Josiah again, then to me she's showing her true colors. And they're very unattractive colors on a 17-year-old girl. She might as well buy herself a casting couch.

In fairness, though, if Marjorie did break up with a Duggar kid because he had no visible means of support she's basically Charlotte Lucas from Pride and Prejudice. It's not as if she hasn't been trained that it's her duty to God to have a houseful of babies she's serenely incapable of supporting. Then, too, that's a very small world. Until their backers (and I think there's more than TLC in that corner) signaled that they weren't going to remain a scandal and a hissing forever and started to rehabilitate them, I can't imagine her family would be willing to let her be tied to the Duggars. It's not as if she's allowed to consult her feelings if she has them. 

Maybe they were flying Joe back to school.

No, it's the middle of the semester and not a holiday weekend. Why would he have gone home? And how? The plane didn't go there a couple of days prior to pick him up, and there were no Bateses at the Duggars'.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

I think that Gil has all of the cards and Jim Bob has none. Gil is very powerful in the Gothard community, Gil has the son with an established business, Gil has a currently running TV show. The Duggars have always been lower than the Bates in Gothardville, Jim Bob can't afford to support all of his adult children, and just because TLC is giving two daughters a couple of specials, he no longer has a TV show. I think that Jinger will be absorbed into the Bates family, not the other way around. Plus their rule is that the daughter's headship transfers to her husband. It didn't happen with Jill and Jessa, but Derrick and Ben weren't Gothardites.

Yup, plus Jinger is the one who actually looks like she knows how to cook, homemaking whatever, and enjoys it, plus she's definitely a follower, so she'll be easy to wrangle once she gets her nose out of Jessa's behind. This all boils down to ownership and bargaining. Jinger isn't as 'valuable' as Mom Jana, Favorite Jill, Attractive to Media Jessa, so she's expendable, ESPECIALLY if it means a stamp of approval from Gil Bates. 

So what I take from current events is that apparently nobody in this prowling mob of grifters and grifter-humpers can smell a dump. But they can all detect the faintest, barest, most imperceptible hint of the intoxicating perfume called "Possible New TV Show."

Marjorie is a fame whore. She's just working with what she can as a 17 year old homeschool fundie in BFE Arkansas. I hope that if those two marry, she "Out Michelles" Michelle in terms becoming Head Breeder In Charge. Margie is no Meryl Streep, but I think she can put on that persona of Perfect Fundie Wife better than any of them. She, Jessa and Michelle battling it out for center of attention might be enough for in interesting TV show.

I'm picturing Mandy Moore from "Saved" chucking a KJV Bible at someone's head and screaming she's FILLED WITH THE LOVE OF CHRIST.

• Love 8

In fairness, though, if Marjorie did break up with a Duggar kid because he had no visible means of support she's basically Charlotte Lucas from Pride and Prejudice.

True. But I was thinking more like -- She may have broken up with a Duggar kid because he was no longer going to be famous enough to get her on television .... That's in the same category -- job- and income-related, I guess -- but saying they're comparable is, to me, kinda like comparing a howitzer and a water pistol. Same category.  But completely different things..... And Charlotte Lucas would never want to be on television!

Lawson Bates has big dreams of being a country singer.  If he accomplishes that, which he probably won't, Jinger could live in Nashville or some other country music hub.  She could get her dream of city living.  IDK if the courtship is true or not, but I do think the Duggars and Bateses are now going to milk it to increase public interest.  Lawson at least has a business and goals - he'll actually work at a real job to make money. He is a little fame hungry though.    

Maybe the third TLC special is a Josiah/Marjorie courtship <--- 100% speculation that I hope isn't true.  Then TLC would be able to use the majority of its footage from the "lost season." Really, the 19KC season would have been Jill's getting ready for her "mission" and new motherhood, Jessa's pregnancy, and Josiah's courtship. TLC has to scrap its Josh/Anna footage, but that's no big loss footage-wise.  Throw in the Joseph in college in one of the specials somewhere and boom the three specials could be the lost season without the random filler.

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 6

A million likes to your post. I'm sure Marge told Si that God laid it on her heart to give their courtship another chance. If he was smart he'd kick her to the curb immediately. She gave me famewhore vibes from the start.

• Love 6

Just saw a pic of Jinger at the AR/TN game yesterday. So yeah, the Duggars do fly quite frivolously. Joy was the accountability partner.

eta: Now that I'm on my laptop, I took a second to look at the plane records. It is still in TN as I type. I remember Lawson teasing a relationship as a cliffhanger at the end of the last Bates show season. I wonder if they negotiated Jinger bein on THEIR show since this all came to being during Joshgate, and the fate of the Duggar show was in limbo for most of the summer? If so, it sucks to be Boob now that TLC gave them those specials! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

I hope that it's true that Jinger and Lawson are courting. If they were to marry, Jinger would move to Tennessee. Lawson has a business there. If it's true, Jinger will escape.

Not really. The bates are still fundie

• Love 2

I agree. Jinger with Lawson is a lateral move, at best, in terms of escape probability. Even if she moves to TN, she's still in the country in a "skirts only" culture. Let's not forget that the Bateses welcomed Whitney, but not before the young woman was "convicted" to start wearing skirts. 

Jinger would not be escaping anything if she joined the Bates Clan. Hell, Gil in on the BOARD of IBLP. Let's not forget that. 

• Love 7

Just thought of another reason this is a good 'match' - the Bates can lord over how they graciously redeemed 'damaged goods', freed Jinger, keep two tv shows rolling, settle the whole 'OMG a Bates AND Duggar have to marry' talk, etc. 

Man, I hope Joy runs like the wind and takes Jenny with her.

• Love 3

I tend to agree with those who commented that a Jinger/Lawson marriage isn't really an escape. The Bateses are just as savvy as the Duggars in downplaying their affiliation with Gothard and his beliefs. They're definitely more likeable but still pretty high on the whackadoodles scale.

• Love 4