Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

It probably was a rerun.  I have my DVR set up to only record "new" shows and that's why I said it was labeled new.  I've come to find out that in Bringing Up Bates a lot of old shows are being "remixed" and UP will label it as new.   Sooooooo, that's how they get away with it - LOL.

Discovery Channel does that as well.  It's probably a common reality show ploy.

(edited)
On 6/11/2017 at 7:39 PM, andromeda331 said:

All she basically did was find out Evan wasn't married or with anyone and remember she had sister of age.

I think that's all that is necessary for some of these folks. 

Edited by woodscommaelle

Yes. WRT the hot tub attire, does anyone know if she only wore the modesty wear because of the cameras, or if cameras are not around can she wear a skimpy bikini  for Chad?

Maybe if it's a more private setting? Like Mechelle Duggar saying that she dances with Boob sometimes behind closed doors. *pass the brain bleach* 

I bet Erin has some lingerie in her repertoire. Her body hasn't gone to shit....yet. 

• Love 3

I didn't see the episode, but even as a "regular" woman I think I'd be a little self-conscious appearing on camera in a bathing suit, so I can only imagine how awkward a Fundie woman would feel. I'm guessing Erin would ditch the modesty wear if it was just her and Chad in a private setting.

• Love 3

We've seen Whitney wearing a bikini under a beach cover up not that long ago, so she definitely wears one in public, but certainly won't be photographed (that she's aware of) or filmed (VERBOTEN!) in one. Not sure what Alyssa wears to the beach these days, but it certainly isn't modestwear. I don't think Erin will ever deviate from modestwear in public, not matter how hot her body is or how private the setting. 

But I doubt she's wearing granny panties. :D

• Love 1
1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

Was it just me or was Erin petting Chad like a puppy in the hot tub?  I'm sorry, is that romantic?

Maybe when a camera is filming you its as romantic as Erin gets. They did seem like they were going to jump each other's bones any minute?

• Love 1
On 7/14/2017 at 7:21 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Maybe if it's a more private setting? Like Mechelle Duggar saying that she dances with Boob sometimes behind closed doors. *pass the brain bleach* 

I bet Erin has some lingerie in her repertoire. Her body hasn't gone to shit....yet. 

lol, not sure Michelle meant on her feet ;)

• Love 2

Do the couples always have to touch each other when they're sitting? Lol, I do not know anyone who does that.

I think one reason we all like Bates, besides the wonderful, funny way their family interacts, is that they are seldom seen with any of their personal religious beliefs on display. I've seen Gil in a t-shirt with a saying, but they primarily keep it under wraps.

I'm a non-church going Democrat, but I certainly enjoy their show.

• Love 3
(edited)

Watched a bunch of episodes last night so I don't even know which was new and which were reruns. Watching the trivia/newlywed game episode, I will say - it's nice to see how "normal" the marriages seem (not their religious beliefs) - just the way they interact with their spouses, like regular young couples. Zach and Whit and even Erin and Chad (to a lesser degree) had NO problem calling each other out and didn't try to hard to keep sweet -- i.e. Chad's driving; Zach never shutting cabinet doors; Whit owning too many shoes etc. And it was nice to see Alyssa and John together too. It always seems like they're a bit aloof from the huge family, yet seeming them laugh together made it clear that they share a million stories, inside jokes, and goals/plans just with each other. Also thought it was sweet the way John said - I want however many kids you want - and it seemed very natural; I feel like if Alyssa is done at 4 or 6, they'll be done with no pressure from John about it. Brandon and Michaela - unsurprisingly - came across like a typical fundie arranged marriage where they don't know tons about each other and then are too into keeping sweet to find out.

If Chad's dream job is a construction company - why the heck doesn't he pursue it?! It's not like his dream job is being a rocket scientist and he doesn't have the right education. He's already incredibly handy, he could work for a contractor for 1-2 yrs and then open his own company. I wonder if that's their plan.

The houses that Chad and Erin looked at (different episode) were absolutely dilapidated. I know he's handy -- but damn -- looks like a swift thunderstorm could knock one of those over. Is that what "fixer upper" means in rural Tenn. -- a house that's barely standing?? Or is that just what their budget is -- bc as Gil had to clarify, Chad is just like them and doesn't believe in debt. I know Chad's a finance manager at a metals shop, but given that he has to pay rent currently plus expenses for a wife and 2 kids -- I can't imagine that he's saved hundreds of thousands to be able to buy a home in cash in just 3 yrs of marriage (and whatever savings he came into the marriage with); though if the savings are in the 10s of thousands and you insist on cash - maybe that's why they're looking at the houses they're looking at.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 4

That's where these people kind of lose me with this "we don't believe in debt" nonsense. There's no way the Bateseses pull in the same kind of money the Duggars do, so I highly doubt Chad will ever be able to buy a home for straight cash regardless if it's a dump in the middle of nowhere. If a house needs a complete gut job, you still need to pay for materials, permits, inspections etc. Even though Chad has legit employment, I can't imagine he makes that much to stack up 60 or 70k to put towards a home purchase/remodel. 

• Love 2
On 7/21/2017 at 7:34 PM, cereality said:

Watched a bunch of episodes last night so I don't even know which was new and which were reruns. Watching the trivia/newlywed game episode, I will say - it's nice to see how "normal" the marriages seem (not their religious beliefs) - just the way they interact with their spouses, like regular young couples. Zach and Whit and even Erin and Chad (to a lesser degree) had NO problem calling each other out and didn't try to hard to keep sweet -- i.e. Chad's driving; Zach never shutting cabinet doors; Whit owning too many shoes etc. And it was nice to see Alyssa and John together too. It always seems like they're a bit aloof from the huge family, yet seeming them laugh together made it clear that they share a million stories, inside jokes, and goals/plans just with each other. Also thought it was sweet the way John said - I want however many kids you want - and it seemed very natural; I feel like if Alyssa is done at 4 or 6, they'll be done with no pressure from John about it. Brandon and Michaela - unsurprisingly - came across like a typical fundie arranged marriage where they don't know tons about each other and then are too into keeping sweet to find out.

If Chad's dream job is a construction company - why the heck doesn't he pursue it?! It's not like his dream job is being a rocket scientist and he doesn't have the right education. He's already incredibly handy, he could work for a contractor for 1-2 yrs and then open his own company. I wonder if that's their plan.

The houses that Chad and Erin looked at (different episode) were absolutely dilapidated. I know he's handy -- but damn -- looks like a swift thunderstorm could knock one of those over. Is that what "fixer upper" means in rural Tenn. -- a house that's barely standing?? Or is that just what their budget is -- bc as Gil had to clarify, Chad is just like them and doesn't believe in debt. I know Chad's a finance manager at a metals shop, but given that he has to pay rent currently plus expenses for a wife and 2 kids -- I can't imagine that he's saved hundreds of thousands to be able to buy a home in cash in just 3 yrs of marriage (and whatever savings he came into the marriage with); though if the savings are in the 10s of thousands and you insist on cash - maybe that's why they're looking at the houses they're looking at.

Wonder how much money Erin has from the show.  I would think that both are being paid and it could be that the network would help "buy" the place.  TLC helped the Bates when they built their house.  Okay, I know some would say added on to the original house but you can see anything to the original and even Kelly has admitted you can't even get in it anymore.

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, cereality said:

wow.. I didn't know he was in management. I thought he was one of the workers on the plant floor. Esp. given he likes to work with his hands.

RE: the houses. It is possible that the land (and what ever makeshift bldgs. are there) is in their budget -esp if all the cnty is asking for is back taxes.

Maybe it is ok to borrow against the land, in their world, and use that to start the build-up (or fix-up) the house - IE "good" debt vs. "bad" debt.

Gil made that comment but I too wonder just how did he start out if he didn't borrow anything. Yes at one time he had a 9-5, but he also has a lot of land, with a smaller house they lived in, expensive tree cutting equipment to obtain and a growing family. Would be nice if they told the rest of the world how to do the same without borrowing anything. The initial cash outlay has to come from "somewhere". 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

There's a house at the end of my street that was a crumbling waterlogged wreck. A young couple bought it and it's now one of the nicest in the neighborhood. My husband and I never met them but we call them "The Industrious Couple". They now have a little family with a daughter and son. I give them mad props for taking it on. We have a broken window in our house that has no fix in sight and it's been a month. They probably call us the Lazy Ass Couple.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, cereality said:

Oddly Tori is the one who keeps saying she wants to graduate before she gets married (1 more year; Bobby just graduated) and Erin keeps "dissuading" her and saying - oh I said that and then got married first. And Kelly keeps asking her -how much longer - as if it's ludicrous that she wants to wait ONE year?! Kelly said it when they took Tori and Bobby out to lunch and also on last weeks Facebook chat. I wouldn't be shocked if this summer job becomes a permanent job in Sept to keep Bobby in town while Tori is a senior and then Bobby proposes in the fall semester with a winter break or May wedding. I just don't get the desperation for this guy.

Tori is an education major.. maybe she feels she will be more useful to her brood of children and/or teaching at her father's church with her studies completed. I think Kelly was an education major. And it could be a dig against Erin - "see I finished college before I got married.. see how much self control I have, etc "

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:37 AM, BitterApple said:

8I believe Bobby's degree was something like Bible Study/Youth Ministry from unaccredited PCC. Aside from some low-salaried job at a church, I can't imagine what else he'd do with it. On the Duggar board someone looked up the "employment after graduation" rates for Clown College and it was pretty abysmal, so I can't imagine PCC is any different.

He (or someone) paid good hard earned money for that "degree"...appx. $48K, full-time, on campus, before scholarships and aid.  Knock of $8K , if you agree to be in some pgm in

the last year. here is the tuition and fees info ( $$ )

Edited by sATL

Oh my. I like Tori, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around her being and education major! Some of the things she says! That being said, kids would like her. She's got a lot of energy and seems like a positive person.

2 hours ago, sATL said:

He (or someone) paid good hard earned money for that "degree"...appx. $48K, full-time, on campus, before scholarships and aid.  Knock of $8K , if you agree to be in some pgm in

the last year. here is the tuition and fees info ( $$ )

PCC is accredited through TRACS, which is recognized by the USDE. My top-notch public university is also recognized through the USDE, so it's not a wishy-washy deal. Clown College is also currently accredited through TRACS. 

http://www.pcci.edu/Academics/Accreditation.aspx

I hope Bobby got a real education there. I know that Clown had "professors" who didn't have PhDs teaching there a few years ago, but I assume they've cleaned that up to gain accreditation status. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, sATL said:

wow.. I didn't know he was in management. I thought he was one of the workers on the plant floor. Esp. given he likes to work with his hands.

RE: the houses. It is possible that the land (and what ever makeshift bldgs. are there) is in their budget -esp if all the cnty is asking for is back taxes.

Maybe it is ok to borrow against the land, in their world, and use that to start the build-up (or fix-up) the house - IE "good" debt vs. "bad" debt.

Gil made that comment but I too wonder just how did he start out if he didn't borrow anything. Yes at one time he had a 9-5, but he also has a lot of land, with a smaller house they lived in, expensive tree cutting equipment to obtain and a growing family. Would be nice if they told the rest of the world how to do the same without borrowing anything. The initial cash outlay has to come from "somewhere". 

Guess what I found.. a book to tell how to buy a house "debt-free" with a forward by ole' JimBob.  So, I'm sure Gill has a copy and probably has passed it down and around.

Quoting the from forward: " To most being debt-free seems impossible and especially so regarding a house. However, in this book I read the inspiring stories of young men who have achieved the goal of owning a house debt-free. I would like that for my sons, and I think you would for your sons as well.. In Buying a House Debt-Free the Maxwells show us what a young man should do to save for a debt-free house. They talk about the necessary spiritual foundation and ongoing focus. They emphasize the importance of young men being productive with the years they have before marriage and the value of eliminating time and money robbers. They encourage young men to be entrepreneurs and savers" {end-quote}

young man = Chad. 

Probably in a few seasons/years Zac, John, and Brandon will join the club. Zac should have a tidy little nest egg now that he is a Sherriff. As far as the upcoming Bates son-in-laws-to be, give me a minute.

"Buying a house debt free, Equipping Your Son"  (  link ) by Steve & Teri Maxwell - $14.95..  ( check local library, ebay. amazon  ). Pg 21 of the sample chapter from the link, told how Ryan's friend bought his house debt free at age 24.

I'm already a little annoyed as "young woman" homeowner (yes, w/ a mortgage)

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Don't get me started on Stevehovah Maxwell. It's speculated that he fabricated the story of the young man who buys a house debt free. It's just too tidy to be true. 

Well I'm curious to hear how anyone owning a house, and probably considerable land, debt free - in  a time frame shorter than an 10/15/20/30 yr mortgage. . if it's pure fiction it could be entertaining. ☺

• Love 1

But..but....JESUS!!!!!

Back on topic, property seems to be dirt cheap in Eastern TN, and Cherin must have socked away some show money, although it can't be anything near what the main Duggarspawn have amassed, since the Bateseses aren't famous enough to rate People covers or even online articles. 

If they have really saved enough for a fixer upper with land and have money to spare for construction, they're doing a helluva lot better than I thought. I have no idea what Chad makes as a glorified bookkeeper. 

• Love 3

Good grief, these shows are B O R I N G!!  I can't even bring myself to watch full episodes anymore and I love the Bates family.

I read this week's show is going to be about Lawson moving his career forward.  Lawson appears to be a sweet kid and he really does love music, but let's be honest - Lawson is NOT even a good singer let alone a great one.  Sometime I cringe when I hear him perform.  He's a much better song writer than he is a singer.  IMO the best Lawson will be able to do is Christian television shows, state fairs, etc.   I understand that his heart is set on being a country/western music artist and it makes me sad that he doesn't have the talent to achieve this dream.

Hopefully I'm wrong.  I'm not a country/western fan so I might be predisposed to be bias against Lawson's talent.  Those of you who are CW music fans, tell me if I'm off base.  It won't hurt my feelings.   What is your opinion of Lawson's singing talents?

• Love 1

Why does he want to be a solo star?  I wonder if he has considered auditioning to be backup for more well known performers.  He might have a better shot at a more permanent gig that way.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Why does he want to be a solo star?  I wonder if he has considered auditioning to be backup for more well known performers.  He might have a better shot at a more permanent gig that way.

Good idea, but Lawson is too much of a control, hands on, do-it-my-way type of person. Someone really needs to tell Lawson about "paying dues" to get into the entertainment industry. I had hoped Emily Ann (?) would give him a clue, but I guess she's too polite. Many singers started out singing in shopping malls, parks, youtube, auditions/contests, in addition to churches.

That one concert in the church he was trying to be ticket-master, sound guy, lead singer, tour manager, etc. If he was background, he would have to do what he is told, or there is the door.  I think two big issues he would have is:

(1) He could not pick the venue. This time of year, many  well-knowns and up and coming are doing state, county and/or outdoor fairs. The audience would not be dressed conservative, someone might cuss or show PDA, and might be drinking alcohol.

(2) He could not pick the schedule. Yes, Nashville is great, but there are other cities that he would have to travel to, via a tour bus, with modest accommodations, and they might not be in the south east. He would have not control over when (day and time of day) the concert is. I'm not convinced he would do a 2pm or 7/8pm show on a Sunday, on the west coast. Gil probably expects Lawson church on sunday (and any other service night), as long as he is living under his roof.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Doesn't Lawson's new single with the Duck Dynasty girl drop tomorrow? The preview they released was godawful. It's on the Duggars friends board if you haven't already seen it.

1 hour ago, Suzy123 said:

Lawson can't sing. I wish someone would be blunt with him and tell him. I have too mute the TV whenever he does sing. 

Right? I can appreciate that Gil and Kelly would let him have a couple years to make a go of it, because you're only young once, but at this point it's time to sit him down and tell him it ain't happening. There's a million other jobs he could do if he wants to work in the music industry, but he's not going to make it as a singer.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, sATL said:

Good idea, but Lawson is too much of a control, hands on, do-it-my-way type of person. Someone really needs to tell Lawson about "paying dues" to get into the entertainment industry. I had hoped Emily Ann (?) would give him a clue, but I guess she's too polite. Many singers started out singing in shopping malls, parks, youtube, auditions/contests, in addition to churches.

That one concert in the church he was trying to be ticket-master, sound guy, lead singer, tour manager, etc. If he was background, he would have to do what he is told, or there is the door.  I think two big issues he would have is:

(1) He could not pick the venue. This time of year, many  well-knowns and up and coming are doing state, county and/or outdoor fairs. The audience would not be dressed conservative, someone might cuss or show PDA, and might be drinking alcohol.

(2) He could not pick the schedule. Yes, Nashville is great, but there are other cities that he would have to travel to, via a tour bus, with modest accommodations, and they might not be in the south east. He would have not control over when (day and time of day) the concert is. I'm not convinced he would do a 2pm or 7/8pm show on a Sunday, on the west coast. Gil probably expects Lawson church on sunday (and any other service night), as long as he is living under his roof.

Lawson has an apartment in Nashville.  He has lived in Nashville since he was 19.  Another one of the boys is in Mississippi at the moment (been there for a few months).

Proof that Lawson has a place of his own?

I assumed that Nathan lived with his Gothardite flight instructor when he was in MI. JD Duggar went through the same process with the same instructor. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Proof that Lawson has a place of his own?

I assumed that Nathan lived with his Gothardite flight instructor when he was in MI. JD Duggar went through the same process with the same instructor. 

It has been discussed for a long time about him living in Nashville.  He moved to Nashville when he was 19.  Even Gil & Kelly have talked about it.

I really don't know if it is the same instructor just that Kelly has talked about Nathan living in Mississippi and is not able to come home that often.

1 hour ago, iluvobx said:

It has been discussed for a long time about him living in Nashville.  He moved to Nashville when he was 19.  Even Gil & Kelly have talked about it.

I really don't know if it is the same instructor just that Kelly has talked about Nathan living in Mississippi and is not able to come home that often.

I thought it was against their "rules" to live away from home until marriage. school,  camps and training sessions yes, but to start a new adult  "life" - in the big city of Nashville? hmmm

Edited by sATL
17 hours ago, sATL said:

I thought it was against their "rules" to live away from home until marriage. school,  camps and training sessions yes, but to start a new adult  "life" - in the big city of Nashville? hmmm

That is the other family.  The Duggars don't even believe in college but the Bates do.  Both Bates have college degrees.

You can do search and there is a lot of stuff out there about Lawson moving and living in Nashville.

I was kind of hoping Sadie would like Nathan. Did you see his eyes perk up and the big smile on his face when he heard Lawson ACTUALLY talked to her on the phone!? It did seem rather staged when Nathan and Lawson were talking about the video plans but I think Nathan would actually be a nice match for Sadie in real life. Does anyone know if she is dating anyone seriously?

1 hour ago, Calibabydolly said:

I was kind of hoping Sadie would like Nathan. Did you see his eyes perk up and the big smile on his face when he heard Lawson ACTUALLY talked to her on the phone!? It did seem rather staged when Nathan and Lawson were talking about the video plans but I think Nathan would actually be a nice match for Sadie in real life. Does anyone know if she is dating anyone seriously?

I think Sadie just broke up with her boyfriend.  I read that somewhere.