Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

• Start Topic

Discuss twin goats, bait and switch weddings (I thought it would be Tabby Paine's), and Bates romances here!

Will they get Carlin's "very special" dinner from earlier this week in this season? Because I think she's courting now. Will Bobby propose? Will they talk about Lawson recording with the Robertson girl?

(edited)

The goats were cute but I don't know that Chad and Erin needed goats.   But honestly this episode was a bit of a snooze.  I hope Kelly-Jo's mom is happy, though.   

Which girl went for the double scoop chocolate dipped cone?  

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 1

I posted my earlier comments to the wrong link.  

Anyhoo...I did watch last night because I was just positive that Tori and Bobby decided to get married now instead of waiting.  I'd seen previews of a wedding and the decorated car, not even coming close to guessing it was Kelly's mom who was tying the knot.  And boy, did she look lovely in that blue gown.  She was just over the moon over her new hubby.  She actually could have passed for Kelly's older sister.  She's in her 70's but doesn't look a day of 55 to me.

Kelly wore an oxford shirt and some vest just like she wears all the time.  I couldn't believe she didn't "dress up" for her mom's wedding.  Gil and the boys all wore jackets and ties.  I was very disappointed in Kelly's choice of attire.

Looks like Evan and Carlin are moving right along.  They even did a cheek-to-cheek hug.  It was so sweet.  Bobby looks like he may be as tall as Alyssa's husband.  When he and Tori hug (full frontal thank you very much), she can only put her arms around his waist.  They're still a cute couple. 

• Love 2

Well, who didn't know that the twins were the goats? All those little tweens who worship Lawson on Instagram certainly figured it out. And we knew. 

What I'm trying to say is this this show is about as stale as the Duggars', just with different styles of courtship and no scandals (that the tweens know about, at any rate), and the sliding ratings reflect that. Nothing really new to see here until they finally get Tori married off, although if she's true to her word and waits, Carlin may well overtake her. 

If they show Lawson recording with Sadie Robertson, I think I'll throw up. 

• Love 3

Boring episode, though it felt like their "backwardness" or "traditional values" were on full display when Erin was proclaiming herself matchmaker; and now that Erin has 2 kids and the pregnancy issues have been solved, I feel like she's coming across a bit smug in the marriage and family area. I'm sorry but - OMG I LOVE being in a relationship and I want EVERYONE to experience what I have - reeks of I pined away for a man and Prince Chad swept me off my feet, I am #blessed and in 3 yrs I know all there is to know about life and marriage -- bc I sleep with Prince Chad -- so here is how you will live your lives too so you have what Prince Chad and I have . . . . Reality is she has seen how slim the fundie pickings are and is trying to get her sisters locked down by 20 while the bette fundie boys are still available -- lest her sisters turn into her sister in law or Jana Duggar bc [gasp] 27 and unmarried for a woman is no way to live. Luckily all her sisters that we've seen so far are just as "traditional" and want to be married by 21 and have 2 kids by 23. But there will be some definite judgment from Erin if there is a sister in the pack who is more of a tomboy, wants an education, wants to put off marriage etc.

I'm sorry but what exactly does she see in Evan? I find him weird looking - though I guess cute enough. And unless I'm mistaken his full time job is singing/ministry? Great livelihood there. You'd think someone who has a husband whose always worked as a business manager would want something similar for her sisters -- but I feel like people like that always want a tiny bit better for themselves than others, even siblings. Honestly I think Alyssa (who is so over the family it isn't even funny) let on the best by saying -- Carlin is soooo fun but she needs a guy who can deal with that and that's Evan -- i.e. she's loud and obnoxious which isn't becoming anywhere let alone in the fundie world, and for whatever reason this guy wants to deal so God bless him, welcome to the family.

And the double standards were on full display as she wants her sisters to lock it down ASAP - but Nathan - eh he'll find someone, he gives his heart away to easily. Lawson - eh he can wait 6-7 more yrs. I tend to agree Lawson needs to wait as he doesn't want to settle down yet. You can see how small their world is when Carlin/Tori/Josie gasped and said he'll be 40?! And Erin was like - um he'll be 29. They really don't know anyone who is 29 and single?! Bet you when you get up to that age without a wife and kids they start whispering about whether you even like women.

Nice to see Brandon's acceptance into the family going well. At the end of last season - the "married guys" took Evan and Bobby outside to shoot guns and talk relationships and offer their wisdom and it was only Zach, John, and Chad -- no Brandon to be seen even though he was at the house. I guess they don't see him as one of them?!

• Love 3

For the first time EVER, I didn't watch the full 20-odd minutes episode.  And I love the Bates family.  However, I could not sit through that snooze fest with Carlin and Evan.  I don't know what it is about this couple that bores me.  I can watch Michaela and Brandon for the full 20-odd minutes and hang onto her every word.  I love watching Erin, Chad, the kids, and the menagerie.   I can take or leave Alyssa and whatshisname, but I don't think Alyssa would want the network to do a full show about them anyway.  She's very private.  Zach and Whitney get a oh-hum too.

I guess I have my favorites is what it boils down to.  If I had my druthers, they would build the show around Jeb and Judson and call it a day.  

• Love 3

For all of her enthusiasm Carlin can't make her new arrangement interesting.  If I ever saw a first crush it's those two.  Unfortunately they will probably end up married when in the real world they would hardly remember each other a few years later.  All Kelly could say was that Evan's family was just like Carlin's so they are a perfect match.  Well, it's a given that their families are alike due to their strict rules, but it doesn't make it a successful match.

• Love 4
(edited)

My husband: "Is it me or is this episode especially cringeworthy?" LOL.

That is some serious high school crushing going on there. 

"Evan's family are professionals! They have CD's and everything!" Don't Erin and Lawson also have CD's? I thought that song was ridiculous and their singing terrible.

Edited by SongbirdHollow
words I can use them
  • Love 6

Wow - Carlin is annoying as hell. Good luck Evan. I think Alyssa said it best -- Carlin is a LOT to take [so if Evan wants to take THAT on, God bless, welcome o the family].

Agree with the above, I don't see why those 2 are a couple. All Kelly could say is they're a perfect fit bc their lives are so similar - they both homeschooled; come from big families; and like music. Um -- that would be practically every Evangelical/Southern Baptist family in Tenn., so what's so special about this guy? Honestly it seems like Erin made this match bc she was at a ladies lunch at his church, he was one of the few guys there bc he was a server -- she asked are you single (and probably how old are you) and decided -- hmm a Godly young man in the age range of Carlin, perfect. On top of being her usual loud and obnoxious Carlin honestly looks like she's trying WAY HARD to LOVE him. In that way that you go on and on about your middle school boyfriend to show how in loooovve you are . . . when really it's a friend who is a boy and next year when he's in a different section, you'll be friends with a different boy and be just fine. And I'm not quite sure what Evan brings to the table either. Does he do anything for a living besides singing and "ministry?" He also seems like he's trying WAY HARD to be romantic and wax lyrical about a relationship that is 2 min old. When they went to the brother in law's house to practice the song [and I find it telling that Evan kept saying -- let's go to David/Daniel/whatever his name was 's house. I was thinking - oh that must be his brother. Nope turns out that's his brother IN LAW. Sorry but why is it the brother in law's house? Bc he owns the d!ck in the family? Wouldn't most people refer to it as going to their sister's house or sister/bro in law's house? Showed his brand of conservative] -- they walk up the steps and Evan says "THAT bench - that's where I was sitting when I said I loved you." Um -- what like last month? Your relationship is SO deep that you already need to reminisce?

Frankly I always found Tori annoying too, yet Tori and Bobby together come across as a much better couple. She is MUCH calmer around him and while he is the smiley/outgoing type -- it seems like that's really him, whereas Evan and Carlin seem to both be putting on the show that they think they need to put on for each other and their families -- I feel like once they are in the honeymoon suite they may end up shocked that the person they married isn't who they thought they were courting.

And why do all these fundie types look like they're stuck in the 80s -- the perms rocked by Evan's mom and sister/sister in law -- very reminiscent of Brandon's mom . . . .

• Love 5

Maybe Erin likes having bragging rights to The Perfect Husband. I've only seen pictures of Evan but he comes across smarmy in photographs, so I can't imagine how bad he is in live action. I wonder if Carlin's obnoxious personality is a turn-off for many Fundie guys so she's jumping on the first man who shows a glimmer of interest. I just find it interesting that Erin, Alyssa and Michaela managed to land guys with real jobs but Tori and Carlin are dating the equivalent of Derelict Dullard and Bin Seewald. I wonder if the dwindling ratings are prompting Gil to unload his daughters before the reality show money runs out. 

• Love 1

Do we know what Bobby does or what he studied?

I do think Erin wants bragging rights to the perfect marriage. I think it's really shining through now that the fertility issues are solved (or they're not but she has a boy and a girl - so at worst she'll have a family of 4). I think now there's an air of -- Prince Chad and I are perfect and you all would be lucky to follow our footsteps. I do think that Carlin and Tori's personalities are a turnoff in fundie world. That's not to say that all fundie girls must be mindless robots like the Duggars, but I do think even the most "progressive" fundie guy expects to be the headship, expects his wife to defer to him to a certain extent - at least publicly, and to generally act like a lady. And then you have Carlin and Tori. Sure they dress like ladies -- and obviously physical looks must be what attracted these guys; but aside from that both are LOUD and blunt enough that they come across rude at times. I think Tori is doing a better job though -- I really think she seems calmer around Bobby and it doesn't seem totally fake, so maybe he does mellow her out. Honestly with her maybe it is a case of being in the middle of a HUGE pack of kids; in order to be noticed/heard, you probably did have to scream and be a bit dramatic. Yet now with Bobby, she has one on one attention so maybe she's realizing that she doesn't need to carry on and be obnoxious for him to notice her. That theory seems not to work for Carlin who seems like her usual self or even a little worse with Evan. And yes, Evan does seem smarmy in the used car salesmen way --maybe that's a plausible career there . . . .

• Love 3
1 minute ago, cereality said:

Do we know what Bobby does or what he studied?

I believe Bobby's degree was something like Bible Study/Youth Ministry from unaccredited PCC. Aside from some low-salaried job at a church, I can't imagine what else he'd do with it. On the Duggar board someone looked up the "employment after graduation" rates for Clown College and it was pretty abysmal, so I can't imagine PCC is any different.

I agree about Evan and Carlin, I couldn't figure out why their moms were pushing them when they looked like any teen couple who'd date for a few weeks or few months and then split.  Kelly's they come from similar families remark. I mean is that really a surprise? Does Carlin get the chance to meet a lot of boys her age from small families who aren't from the same church? Shouldn't they have a little more then that in common?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, cereality said:

now that the fertility issues are solved

It's a carrying the pregnancy issue for Erin - a clotting disorder.  She no fertility problem.  She seems to conceive as easily as Kelly.

I would think almost any young man Carlin would meet would have those same factors in common. 

(edited)

The BUB Instagram posted a query, wondering what everyone's favorite part of the last episode was. I was so tempted to post "The end," but figured that would get me banned. ?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7

I just meant Erin is taking more license to act like she and Chad are perfect now that she has kids. If she hadn't had 2 bc of clotting or whatever, she'd be more worried about herself and her relationship with Chad AND wouldn't be able to hold herself and Chad out as the paragon of fundie marriage- bc we know in that world, worth comes from bearing kids.

Interesting that in this family and in this go-around of courting, Gil isn't the fundie father driving the courtships to marry off his daughters -- he is the one trying to slow them down. I think he loves his kids fiercely and in his mind -- it is much better to wait for the right person for you even if that means you're [gasp] 27 than to put a ring on the first person who looks at you at 19 only to realize 5 yrs later you have nothing in common so now you just have to fake it through life. I also think their family got a good start in the "marrying off the kids" world -- they got solid sons in law in John and Chad and even Zach did fine for himself even despite a first courtship breaking up. So I think Gil has confidence that his kids aren't social weirdos; will be able to find someone - even if there's a breakup along the way; and are marriable -- so he doesn't need to sell them to the first bidder willing to fill out a 50 pg questionnaire like the Duggars. Not saying he'd feel great with 30 yr old unmarried daughters - but even then - I think he'd love them the same. I think it helps that there is some planning in this household which takes the financial pressure off Gil a bit when kids hit 18 even if they aren't marrying immediately. By that age, Zach was working for the city government; Erin was in school but teaching music lessons; Michael was a nanny almost full time; Alyssa worked for a florist; various combinations of boys have run a lawn business that is separate from Gil's tree service. All of that brings in money, which I suspect allows these kids to buy used cars (probably to share with a sibling or 2); maybe pay for their part of car insurance and gas; clothing; cell phones; and all the trips to see their sweeties in Florida or Nashville or wherever. So Gil has no incentive to hand them off to some creepy loser when he can continue to provide housing and food as he always has.

I wonder if Gil is also thinking about Bobby and Evan's employability. Not that his other daughters are living large but they all have husbands with good starter jobs so they are living nicely in starter apartments/homes. He may have been pushing off Bobby when he asked to court to give him a yr or so post graduation for him to find employment, start saving etc. He hasn't said anything about Evan yet, but Kelly was making it clear that he doesn't want Carlin rushing it at 19. Honestly I think this round of courtships is being driven by Erin and by extension Kelly. Not only does she have the fundie perfect marriage, but being the sister in law to Tabitha who didn't marry until [gasp] 31-32 and then had to settle for a rapist bc of course she HAD TO marry -- she wants to make sure her sisters are taken care of before age 21 while the "best" fundie boys are still on the market. And in her definition best means cute and from large homeschooled families -- doesn't matter if they're smarmy or unemployed or whatever.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, cereality said:

I just meant Erin is taking more license to act like she and Chad are perfect now that she has kids. If she hadn't had 2 bc of clotting or whatever, she'd be more worried about herself and her relationship with Chad AND wouldn't be able to hold herself and Chad out as the paragon of fundie marriage- bc we know in that world, worth comes from bearing kids.

Interesting that in this family and in this go-around of courting, Gil isn't the fundie father driving the courtships to marry off his daughters -- he is the one trying to slow them down. I think he loves his kids fiercely and in his mind -- it is much better to wait for the right person for you even if that means you're [gasp] 27 than to put a ring on the first person who looks at you at 19 only to realize 5 yrs later you have nothing in common so now you just have to fake it through life. I also think their family got a good start in the "marrying off the kids" world -- they got solid sons in law in John and Chad and even Zach did fine for himself even despite a first courtship breaking up. So I think Gil has confidence that his kids aren't social weirdos; will be able to find someone - even if there's a breakup along the way; and are marriable -- so he doesn't need to sell them to the first bidder willing to fill out a 50 pg questionnaire like the Duggars. Not saying he'd feel great with 30 yr old unmarried daughters - but even then - I think he'd love them the same. I think it helps that there is some planning in this household which takes the financial pressure off Gil a bit when kids hit 18 even if they aren't marrying immediately. By that age, Zach was working for the city government; Erin was in school but teaching music lessons; Michael was a nanny almost full time; Alyssa worked for a florist; various combinations of boys have run a lawn business that is separate from Gil's tree service. All of that brings in money, which I suspect allows these kids to buy used cars (probably to share with a sibling or 2); maybe pay for their part of car insurance and gas; clothing; cell phones; and all the trips to see their sweeties in Florida or Nashville or wherever. So Gil has no incentive to hand them off to some creepy loser when he can continue to provide housing and food as he always has.

I wonder if Gil is also thinking about Bobby and Evan's employability. Not that his other daughters are living large but they all have husbands with good starter jobs so they are living nicely in starter apartments/homes. He may have been pushing off Bobby when he asked to court to give him a yr or so post graduation for him to find employment, start saving etc. He hasn't said anything about Evan yet, but Kelly was making it clear that he doesn't want Carlin rushing it at 19. Honestly I think this round of courtships is being driven by Erin and by extension Kelly. Not only does she have the fundie perfect marriage, but being the sister in law to Tabitha who didn't marry until [gasp] 31-32 and then had to settle for a rapist bc of course she HAD TO marry -- she wants to make sure her sisters are taken care of before age 21 while the "best" fundie boys are still on the market. And in her definition best means cute and from large homeschooled families -- doesn't matter if they're smarmy or unemployed or whatever.

I agree about Erin, I do think that's what she's doing now that she's kids. I've had that feeling about Erin for awhile. I also thought she was patting herself on the back about being matchmaker for setting up Carlin and Evan even though its obvious the two have nothing in common. Why is she so proud about that? She didn't take Carlin in account or find out what Evan had in common with her sister. All she basically did was find out Evan wasn't married or with anyone and remember she had sister of age.

• Love 1

I guess I'll wait and see on Carlin and Evan.  They do indeed seem to be trying too hard.  I don't think the courtship will last.

Somebody above mentioned something about Carlin being loud and yappy.  It reminded me of my niece whom I love with my whole heart.  She is a beautiful, biracial and independent young lady.  I could never understand why she couldn't keep a boyfriend.  She's college-educated, very pretty - she's even been in a couple of beauty pageants.  She also has a stunning figure.  But guys just never stuck around.

Then when a nephew graduated from college and the kids all went to a party in his honor the truth came out.  I'm told that when my niece walked into the room, all the young men just gaped at her, she was stunning.  But by the end of the evening no one had asked for her phone number.  The nephew told us later that one of the guys came up to him and said, "Hey buddy, your cousin is super hot, but man she just won't shut up!"  LOL! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I dreamed last night that I managed to get Kelly alone and told her I thought that Carlin and Evan were too immature and not ready for a relationship. I tried explaining that it was just a first crush, but we kept getting interrupted and I didn't succeed.

Then I woke up thinking about how much trouble some of these kids will be in when the money goes away.  With Tori and Bobby we have the first "minister" in the Bates crowd, and it looks like he might end up ministering to Gil's baby church.  And Evan is a singer with as much chance of success as Lawson.  These girls need to focus on men who will be good providers because I'd hate to see them end up like JillRod.

Is that a good rating??

I think it sucks.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Then I woke up thinking about how much trouble some of these kids will be in when the money goes away.  With Tori and Bobby we have the first "minister" in the Bates crowd, and it looks like he might end up ministering to Gil's baby church.  And Evan is a singer with as much chance of success as Lawson.  These girls need to focus on men who will be good providers because I'd hate to see them end up like JillRod.

I wonder if Carlin feels like she "has" to like Evan, because Erin pushed for the relationship. I hope Gil and Kelly have told their children it's okay to back out if you feel like the connection just isn't there. I know Zach and Nathan had failed courtships, but I wonder if the girls feel more pressure to make it work. After all, Carlin spent several years watching Michael slowly go insane, worrying over if/when Brandon was going to propose. I guess I can't understand how the Bateseses go from a son-in-law like John, who has a skilled trade and family business, to a guy like Evan who does nothing but sing at church. I think Carlin is selling herself short on this one.

• Love 5

So I'm officially unimpressed with this set of courtships. Up until now, I felt like the Bates had done very well with fundie sons in law -- fundies but all employed/employable. Now here comes Bobby and sure he's handsome and Tori is a LOT more tolerable/calmer when she is around him -- but now the Bates are going down the all too familiar road (if you've watched the Duggars) of having to create employment for their sons in law. So Bobby is going to preach at Gil's church -- what exactly does that pay and who pays him? Gil? Or does it come from the offering plates? Whatever it is you know it isn't much when he isn't even willing to commit to the "expense" of an apartment (in rural Tenn? how much can it possibly cost to get a cheap 1 bedroom??) and will be living in a trailer instead. I know Brandon is a preacher too but like it or hate it, he secured himself actual employment with a ministry, which comes with income not paid by his father in law as well as a small apartment for him and Michael. And then there's Evan -- who as far as we know is just a "singer" so I suspect Gil's church better find the funds to hire him as a choir director next year so that he can marry Carlin.

I do think this set of girls is feeling the pressure to court and marry ASAP. Part of is probably seeing how "late" Michael got married and part of it is Erin pushing this along -- probably as she's thinking about the idea of any of her sisters turning out like her sister in law, and I think Kelly is part of the "subtle" pressure as well. We could see it when Bobby so much as mentioned the trailer and she kind of goes nuts -- calling the woman, texting, obsessing bc the text didn't get answered instantly, and then being pretty pushy that everyone had to be there by 12 pm the next day bc God forbid  TRAILER get away. IMO though it was her thinking -- Bobby could very well marry Tori and we can't let him slip away -- we've got him a job, the trailer is the last piece of the puzzle that gets him to move here and see his girlfriend daily for 3 months straight and then surely he'll propose -- let's get this done asap. Gil OTOH doesn't seem to be loving any of this. He's a caring dad who we have seen has a hard time with his girls leaving, but honestly I see more trepidation from him re Bobby than I did about John, Brandon, or Chad.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, cereality said:

So I'm officially unimpressed with this set of courtships. Up until now, I felt like the Bates had done very well with fundie sons in law -- fundies but all employed/employable. Now here comes Bobby and sure he's handsome and Tori is a LOT more tolerable/calmer when she is around him -- but now the Bates are going down the all too familiar road (if you've watched the Duggars) of having to create employment for their sons in law. So Bobby is going to preach at Gil's church -- what exactly does that pay and who pays him? Gil? Or does it come from the offering plates? Whatever it is you know it isn't much when he isn't even willing to commit to the "expense" of an apartment (in rural Tenn? how much can it possibly cost to get a cheap 1 bedroom??) and will be living in a trailer instead. I know Brandon is a preacher too but like it or hate it, he secured himself actual employment with a ministry, which comes with income not paid by his father in law as well as a small apartment for him and Michael. And then there's Evan -- who as far as we know is just a "singer" so I suspect Gil's church better find the funds to hire him as a choir director next year so that he can marry Carlin.

I do think this set of girls is feeling the pressure to court and marry ASAP. Part of is probably seeing how "late" Michael got married and part of it is Erin pushing this along -- probably as she's thinking about the idea of any of her sisters turning out like her sister in law, and I think Kelly is part of the "subtle" pressure as well. We could see it when Bobby so much as mentioned the trailer and she kind of goes nuts -- calling the woman, texting, obsessing bc the text didn't get answered instantly, and then being pretty pushy that everyone had to be there by 12 pm the next day bc God forbid  TRAILER get away. IMO though it was her thinking -- Bobby could very well marry Tori and we can't let him slip away -- we've got him a job, the trailer is the last piece of the puzzle that gets him to move here and see his girlfriend daily for 3 months straight and then surely he'll propose -- let's get this done asap. Gil OTOH doesn't seem to be loving any of this. He's a caring dad who we have seen has a hard time with his girls leaving, but honestly I see more trepidation from him re Bobby than I did about John, Brandon, or Chad.

I agree.  They went from three sons-in-laws with jobs and house or apartment to two future ones with no real job and one living in a trailer. It was weird enough watching everyone including Evan and Carlin act like they were a great couple in last week's episode when they look like any couple that would be over in a couple weeks or months.  But this was even weirder with Gil basically giving Bobby a job and Kelly desperate to get that trailer. Really, this is what they want for their daughter? Gil paying to support them and living in trailer? I mean what's the rush? Why are they so desperate? Tori stated she wanted to wait until after she graduated next May, that's plenty of time for Bobby to find a job and find a place to live.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree.  They went from three sons-in-laws with jobs and house or apartment to two future ones with no real job and one living in a trailer. It was weird enough watching everyone including Evan and Carlin act like they were a great couple in last week's episode when they look like any couple that would be over in a couple weeks or months.  But this was even weirder with Gil basically giving Bobby a job and Kelly desperate to get that trailer. Really, this is what they want for their daughter? Gil paying to support them and living in trailer? I mean what's the rush? Why are they so desperate? Tori stated she wanted to wait until after she graduated next May, that's plenty of time for Bobby to find a job and find a place to live.

I understood the "job" Gil is offering Bobby is to help him during the summer while he's there, just to put a few dollars in his pocket.  I didn't understand it to be anything permanent because Bobby still has a year (?) of school.  Plus Tori has said she wants to graduate before marrying also.  I think the option was for Bobby to stay in Florida and try to find summer work, or come to Tennessee where he could be closer to Tori and find work.  However, he couldn't afford an apartment in Tennessee.  I guess he would have lived with family for the summer had he stayed in Florida, so the trailer was really a win-win.

Evan, I think, is Carlin's first boyfriend, so she's pretty hyped up about it.  I don't hear wedding bells.  Her sister hooked her up with a boy and they have chemistry.  She's having fun.  She might think she's in love (I felt the same way with my boyfriend at 17), but once the newness wears off, she'll calm down.  I don't think Gil would be very accepting of a son-in-law who was not gainfully employed.  He probably looks at himself supporting all of those children on what he made (before TV), and wouldn't accept anything less in a son-in-law.

• Love 2

@Evagirl Bobby just graduated, so he can pursue a full time, permanent job in TN if he wants to be near Tori. I wouldn't be surprised if they got engaged before summer break is over with a winter break wedding. Heck, if Erin can get married in the middle of a semester and eventually graduate, what's stopping Tori? It's not as if Clown College is academically rigorous. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Evagirl Bobby just graduated, so he can pursue a full time, permanent job in TN if he wants to be near Tori. I wouldn't be surprised if they got engaged before summer break is over with a winter break wedding. Heck, if Erin can get married in the middle of a semester and eventually graduate, what's stopping Tori? It's not as if Clown College is academically rigorous. 

Had he already graduated when that show was filmed?  I was under the impression that he had not.  But the show has about a 6-month lag time so I can understand my own confusion - ha!

Oddly Tori is the one who keeps saying she wants to graduate before she gets married (1 more year; Bobby just graduated) and Erin keeps "dissuading" her and saying - oh I said that and then got married first. And Kelly keeps asking her -how much longer - as if it's ludicrous that she wants to wait ONE year?! Kelly said it when they took Tori and Bobby out to lunch and also on last weeks Facebook chat. I wouldn't be shocked if this summer job becomes a permanent job in Sept to keep Bobby in town while Tori is a senior and then Bobby proposes in the fall semester with a winter break or May wedding. I just don't get the desperation for this guy.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Had he already graduated when that show was filmed?  I was under the impression that he had not.  But the show has about a 6-month lag time so I can understand my own confusion - ha!

I think it was spring break, so this past March.

15 hours ago, cereality said:

Oddly Tori is the one who keeps saying she wants to graduate before she gets married (1 more year; Bobby just graduated) and Erin keeps "dissuading" her and saying - oh I said that and then got married first. And Kelly keeps asking her -how much longer - as if it's ludicrous that she wants to wait ONE year?! Kelly said it when they took Tori and Bobby out to lunch and also on last weeks Facebook chat. I wouldn't be shocked if this summer job becomes a permanent job in Sept to keep Bobby in town while Tori is a senior and then Bobby proposes in the fall semester with a winter break or May wedding. I just don't get the desperation for this guy.

She is the only one who keeps saying that and I don't like that her family isn't respecting her wishes. If Tori wants wait until after she graduates to get married why can't she? Its only one year and its her choice, what she wants.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

She is the only one who keeps saying that and I don't like that her family isn't respecting her wishes. If Tori wants wait until after she graduates to get married why can't she? Its only one year and its her choice, what she wants.

I agree. I don't know why they're so damn pushy. They did the same thing with Brandon, even though he'd made it clear he wanted to finish school and get established before he got married. I just don't understand the rush. These girls are in their early 20s, not their early 40s with ticking clocks. It's like, calm down Bateseses. No one will think your daughters are closet lesbians if they're not married with three kids by 25.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

This episode really bugged me due to ignorance. I had hoped the girls would be doing capoeira (I have a gym about four blocks from my house), but it was straight up jiu-jitsu. (sigh)

Also, can no one pronounce bruschetta properly? HARD K. And it sounds like they put parsley on it rather than basil? Whaaaa?  I can't believe chicken picatta was a foreign dish. I smashed down some chicken when I was about 12. Whitney and Erin have access to FoodNetwork.com. Geez. I guess it just accentuates how largely they are really insulated from the real world, no matter how well they package themselves these days. 

• Love 2

All 4 of them -- Chad; Erin; Zach; Whit definitely showed their country bumpkin status given that chicken piccata and bruschetta are exotic, fancy foods that they had never heard off. Um -- I'm pretty sure both of those are on Olive Garden's menu, let alone any slightly nice Italian restaurant. Though I will say unlike the Duggars, at least they were open minded about it and didn't sit there making faces about how they only eat chicken nuggets and don't eat tomatoes on bread. Instead they really seemed to enjoy the food - esp. Zach.

Though I guess I tend to forget that they didn't grow up on TV -- it was 19 kids on Gil's tree service salary. When they were in NYC with Ashley (Nathan's ex) and eating noodles in Chinatown and Erin and Ashley got to go to the back and try to make noodles, she talked about how it was great to have Chinese food and that growing up they didn't eat out and whenever they did it was American food only. Which makes sense -- I imagine going out was reserved for special occasions with a family that large, and when you're trying to keep that many people happy and spending a good % of your budget that week on one meal, you don't decide to go explore Chinese or Indian or Mexican bc it's a waste of money and a disappointment if most of the kids walk away dissatisfied; much easier to just go to an American buffet or a meat and potato type joint that you're reasonably certain everyone will like. But somehow I tend to think of Olive Garden and the like as "American" food -- barely ethnic or Italian . . . . .

• Love 1

I'm starting to like Brandon.  I think he has a dry sense of humor.  I liked on tonight's episode when he said no to Tori(or Carlin).  He looks like he wants to smack her on the nose with a newspaper and say, "Down, girl."

I think he's just a very serious person.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

The Newlywed game was old.  Tori still had her braces and I believe Zach and Erin only had one child at that time.  They must have filmed it a long time ago and decided to save it and call it "new" when they didn't have anything else going on.

I think they can build a 22-minute show with the three little ones, Jeb, Judson and Callie.  All three are very comfortable with the cameras, crew and producers.  Callie, the little diva who loves to sits with her legs crossed, it just so cute and funny.  And the boys are smart!  They were talking in full sentences at 2 and a half!  So instead of dragging out some lame stuff about newlyweds, let the producers talk to the little one for a change of pace.  The camera could follow them around for a day tor see what they do and how they interact with each other.

It is so obvious that nothing newsworthy is going on with the Bates family right now.  I would enjoy watching a show with Erin & Chad, their kids and the animals.  UP is going to have to get creative if they want to keep fans interested.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

I thought we saw the newlywed game previously.  Maybe it was reformatted.

Ratings:  216K viewers and a .05 rating.

It probably was a rerun.  I have my DVR set up to only record "new" shows and that's why I said it was labeled new.  I've come to find out that in Bringing Up Bates a lot of old shows are being "remixed" and UP will label it as new.   Sooooooo, that's how they get away with it - LOL.

• Love 1