Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Judge

• Start Topic

There are so many amazing subtle items that go on, but I think my favourite of this episode was there caterer chipping the ice sculpture to fill the beer rub in the middle of the party. 

That or Leon West's, "Mike Dickface McClintock" caller ID. 

• Love 4

I did expect him to finally go off. His only two friends left the party. ?

Mr Marjorie had me laughing way too much. Jean Smart was great.

What are they doing separating Ben and Kent? I don't want that to stick. I loved them both as much as usual, Kent taking the phone to correct Dan, and Ben chortling ay the end with his massive drink.

At least Jonah finally got fucked by Jane McCabe while his cronies were staging a coup. What happened to the one in charge, how did he break his leg, and is it that the reason why he turned on Jonah?

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

I did expect him to finally go off. His only two friends left the party. ?

Mr Marjorie had me laughing way too much. Jean Smart was great.

What are they doing separating Ben and Kent? I don't want that to stick. I loved them both as much as usual, Kent taking the phone to correct Dan, and Ben chortling ay the end with his massive drink.

At least Jonah finally got fucked by Jane McCabe while his cronies were staging a coup. What happened to the one in charge, how did he break his leg, and is it that the reason why he turned on Jonah?

Jonah smashed the guy's foot with the mallet when he attempted to smash the clock. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm not sure which part made Jonah madder: the fact that his group did the deal without him or that they changed their name to one that he originally rejected.

I have to give Jonah credit for playing Dan. That's more forethought than I thought possible for Jonah. And he made more Dan go to Guy Fieri's restaurant! That's years worth of revenge.

Jonah completely missing the clock and hitting the other guy's foot reminded me of when they were shooting Jonah's ads and he couldn't chop wood properly.

How is poor Kent going to survive 8+ hours a day of Jonah without Ben? He might finally snap.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Jonah smashed the guy's foot with the mallet when he attempted to smash the clock. 

Which is a great call back to the Jonah campaign ads where he couldn't hit the wood with the axe

• Love 1

You almost have to feel sorry for Gary after seeing the way his parents treat him, which makes the way Selina treats him that much worse. The look on his face as Selina was stealing his story was just heart-breaking. 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, bijoux said:

That entire sequence pleased me. Seeing the consequences to everyone's actions was a thing of beauty. Jane got back at Dan. Jonah got back at Dan. That one Congressman got back at Jonah. I think we were supposed to infer that Ben was a part of that to get back at Jonah too. Montez (who would have had to have been a part of any compromise) got back at Jonah. It was just nice seeing bad things happen to bad people.

As for poor Gary, I was furious on his behalf and I wish after he ripped into Judge, he'd ripped into Selina who ruined his 40th birthday by turning into a fundraising event. I know she has no shame, but that was especially gross taking his one sweet memory with his father and using it to try to get money.

I did love that the moment Selina put Richard in charge of the library and Amy in charge of the book, the book was a disaster and the library got new money. I love Amy but maybe she isn't actually good at her job.

Marjorie judging Catherine for eating meat while pregnant is the first time I've thought Marjorie did something awful. Catherine is pregnant and there isn't anything else to eat and even if there was if she was craving meat, I don't see the problem. I've never been pregnant but my understanding from family and friends is that you need to eat and more than you used to so Catherine couldn't have gone the weekend without food just to please Marjorie.

• Love 7
(edited)

I did love that the moment Selina put Richard in charge of the library and Amy in charge of the book, the book was a disaster and the library got new money. I love Amy but maybe she isn't actually good at her job.

Yeah, she's not good at this job anymore because she desperately wants to be elsewhere. Did I not hear correctly an episode or two ago, that she applied for a position to work with Furlong?  I think I did, and he hilariously told her that he had to turn her down because she had too much self-esteem and she was smarter than him and he couldn't have that.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

The party being transformed into a southern fried yokel thing with a jug band was dumb, considering that the oil industry southerners were associates of Selina's Ferrari driving Qatari fuckbuddy prince or whatever. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

There are so many amazing subtle items that go on, but I think my favourite of this episode was there caterer chipping the ice sculpture to fill the beer rub in the middle of the party. 

I saw him chipping the ice, but I didn't notice the beer tub. Reading other comments here, I see that I missed a lot.

Man, Selina infuriated me at Gary's party. I felt horrible for him, esp when we see his face as she's telling the hunting story. At least this all helped him lash out at his father.

I'm confused. I thought earlier in the series that Gary referred to his wife. Was he married? I know his dad's crude implications were that Gary is gay, but I was left confused.

Great casting, btw. Jean Smart is always great. Same with Stephen Root. Wow. Neither of them can do no wrong. Oh, and Toby Huss. I love him. He's awesome.

The dead son's crib being in Gary's room was so sad. His whole childhood was sad. Poor Gary.

Loved when Catherine tells Selina that she and Marjorie are going on a herstory tour of great southern women writers, and Marjorie adds, "And where they killed themselves."

I also loved the line from the Qatari guy, "I tried to explain to him that Birmingham ranks low in the jihadi to-do list."

I didn't expect Jonah's shut-down-the-govt story line to end so soon. Of course he'd f it up, in this case probably by hitting his cohort's foot with the sledgehammer. I loved Jonah's scene with the President.

• Love 6
(edited)

I like the new president, even the way she over-enunciates as in "fiestaaaah" (reminds me of Peggy Hill from King of the Hill).

I can't believe how much meaner and even shallower Selena has gotten since she left office.  I still love the show, but the character is becoming a nasty caricature of her former self.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I loved Selina asking Richard what he knew about jug bands. 

"Everything."

Richard:  Oh. I just remembered. I have photographic memory

8 hours ago, vibeology said:

Marjorie judging Catherine for eating meat while pregnant is the first time I've thought Marjorie did something awful. Catherine is pregnant and there isn't anything else to eat and even if there was if she was craving meat, I don't see the problem. I've never been pregnant but my understanding from family and friends is that you need to eat and more than you used to so Catherine couldn't have gone the weekend without food just to please Marjorie.

I have a friend who was eating very light until she got pregnant and then she was constantly like "This baby just wants meat and protein!"  She'd constantly be devouring steak and eggs.  

45 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Great casting, btw. Jean Smart is always great. Same with Stephen Root. Wow. Neither of them can do no wrong. Oh, and Toby Huss. I love him. He's awesome.

Julia Louis Dreyfus has kept up a long working relationship with him ever since that Seinfeld episode, "The Junk Mail" (I'm the Wiz and noooooobody beats me!).   This guy also showed up as a drunk limo driver in a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

This went by fast, but I thought it was hilarious.

"You had Green Acres in Qatar?"

"Oh yes, but they censored all the scenes with Arnold Ziffle."

5 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

The party being transformed into a southern fried yokel thing with a jug band was dumb, considering that the oil industry southerners were associates of Selina's Ferrari driving Qatari fuckbuddy prince or whatever. 

You can take the Oil Tycoon out of the Deep South, but you can't take the Deep South out of the Oil Man?

The world is replete with people who have money and no taste.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm confused. I thought earlier in the series that Gary referred to his wife. Was he married? I know his dad's crude implications were that Gary is gay, but I was left confused.

Not a wife, but a girlfriend in earlier seasons. I think the dad thing is transference since he actually IS gay.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You almost have to feel sorry for Gary after seeing the way his parents treat him, which makes the way Selina treats him that much worse. The look on his face as Selina was stealing his story was just heart-breaking. 

Yes, it was very difficult for me to watch all of them--Selina, Amy and Judge --disrespecting Gary.

Toby Huss also played Frank Sinatra in Feud.

I thought Gary looked very sweet in his seersucker jacket. 

I loved Gary's two contrasting reactions to Selina's thoughts regarding the elitist crystal.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

"You had Green Acres in Qatar?"

"Oh yes, but they censored all the scenes with Arnold Ziffle."

Ah, I didn't catch what he said. Hee.

14 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Not a wife, but a girlfriend in earlier seasons. 

Thanks. I thought I was remembering something semi-accurate. :D

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Not a wife, but a girlfriend in earlier seasons.

And Gary seems to be hinting to Mom that he's got a thing going with Serena, too.  No, not hinting, telling.

I loved the scene at the White House and that President Montez and Candi (with an I, which is incorrect) wouldn't be alone with Jonah.  Is Sufe Bradshaw sick?  That would have been a perfect time to have a scene with Sue, whom I miss very much this season.

4 hours ago, avecsans said:

Is Sufe Bradshaw sick?  That would have been a perfect time to have a scene with Sue, whom I miss very much this season.

As I understand it, she took this season off for personal reasons. I also miss her, she's very funny. A master of dry/deadpan comedy. 

On 6/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, vibeology said:

I've never been pregnant but I did have a big-ass tumor that was really messing with my hormones in the months before I was (finally) diagnosed. I've been a vegetarian for many years. One day I was cat-sitting for a friend. She had bought a half rotisserie chicken from the deli to tempt her aged cat to eat. I carved off a slice for the cat, stared at the chicken for a while, and then dove in and wolfed that whole thing down. I mean I ripped it apart with my hands and stuffed it into my mouth. I literally could not resist. So yeah, I get what Catherine was up against. Marjorie was wrong.

I get that they don't really have anything for Amy to do but it is a shame what they're doing to her character.

• Love 1

There's a great little moment at the beginning of the episode.

Selina: Flying a 1000 miles to Alabama. Is anyone as shocked as I am that I'm doing thi?

Richard: Well, I'm easily shocked, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Gary: Here we are. My boyhood home.

Richard: Whaaat?!

Every time Gary called for Mama killed me dead. Nice parallel to him whispering in Selina's ear, and Imogen in Judge's. And then they both whisper that it's Gary's 40th in Selina's ear. There's also connecting him to Selina's narrative from a few episodes ago, what with looking for the type of relationship you had with a bad parent.

• Love 3

I get that they don't really have anything for Amy to do but it is a shame what they're doing to her character.

That would be one thing I would say is a weakness of the show.  They seem unwilling or unable to let go of characters (even for a few episodes), and we end up jumping around a lot during these episodes to give everyone screentime, which doesn't always benefit the story.  Don't get me wrong, the stuff with Jonah and Dan can be very funny, but it does take away from the other stories. 

Selina's asides when Gary was ranting about his father (and his not so obvious homosexuality) was funny but the best was Richard's earnest comment about the Judge visiting "one of his favorite holes" in Florida with his friend was the best. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The old hayseed/redneck who is secretly gay is a little too done to death, frankly. I did get a kick out of the fact that Gary's parents were under the impression that he and Selina were "a thing," and yet their references to it went right over Selina's head because she pays about as much attention to Gary's parents as she does to Gary.

You really have to watch every episode twice to catch all the jokes, they come so fast. Gary's family lives in "White City" Alabama, which Selina mistakenly referred to as "Lynch City." At which point, Gary corrected her and said "We couldn't afford Lynch City." LOL Also - when meeting Gary's friends, his mother turns to Richard and says "And of course you must be Richard." And Richard says "Oh, because of the glasses." OMG.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5