Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Part 30

What was the point of Sally testifying at the trial about what happened to Sarah and Danny 30 years ago?  What did that have to do with O'Bannon being tried for Marco's murder?  It must be obvious, but I am sure missing the connection. 

12 hours ago, freeser said:

What was the point of Sally testifying at the trial about what happened to Sarah and Danny 30 years ago?  What did that have to do with O'Bannon being tried for Marco's murder?  It must be obvious, but I am sure missing the connection. 

The defense brought it up in order to show that the Rayburns will lie to the authorities in order to protect their family members from their crimes. They all lied to protect their father and now they are lying to protect Kevin or Meg. So, the defense attorney brought up the day that Sarah died, which was the same day Danny was beaten. That allowed Sally to testify to the events of that day.

• Love 1

O'Bannon's lawyer bringing up Sarah's death ruined his case because it resulted in Sally putting on the water works of the mom who lost her child and went back to an abuser. 

I don't know why anyone didn't point out to the lawyer that Meg loved Marco, she was going to marry him at one point. It's not crazy that she would be distraught and want to leave for a little while. The lawyer also didn't check any facts before wanting to blame Meg for it all, didn't check if she had alibi's or if she called. Why do the Rayburns need to report to O'Bannon's lawyer if Meg calls? Sally pointing that out to the lawyer, made the lawyer look like an idiot.

• Love 4

Not that I want Kevin to get away with this all, but why didn't the prosecutors coach him about those phone calls that night? All of his rehearsing and the defense lawyer asks him a reasonable question about why he called John 7 times that night and didn't answer Meg's many calls, and he sits there looking like a deer in the headlights, before coming up with a lie that can easily be disproven. That prosecutor is all cowboy hat and no cattle. He's lucky that Sally decided to "come clean." 

Sally did a masterful job on the stand. She makes lying into an art form. After all, the very best lies start with the truth. 

Poor Chelsea never gets a break. I honestly think she's the only sympathetic character in this whole show. Not that I don't enjoy watching John and Kevin squirm like marlins on a hook. Meg is smart to get away from them before she murders somebody too. 

So what other trauma happened that gave all three surviving Rayburn kids the same nightmare? I have a feeling that Roy is somehow involved. What does Sally want him to do..burn down the inn? (no spoilers, just speculation)

• Love 4

I know the Rayburn's are wealthy but how was Meg able to run away to what looked like California and live in a super fancy house, possibly worth more than the Rayburn lodge considering the location? And without anyone knowing? 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/30/2017 at 2:25 AM, knaankos said:

I know the Rayburn's are wealthy but how was Meg able to run away to what looked like California and live in a super fancy house, possibly worth more than the Rayburn lodge considering the location? And without anyone knowing? 

This is another thing that didn't make sense.  Also, wasn't she driving a fancy sports car when she went after John?  The people around her were calling her Amy (I think it was).  So if she is not going by her real name, I can't imagine that she was able to get her law license there and be a practicing attorney. 

There were so many things about this 3rd season that didn't make sense.  I know this is just a TV show - yada yada yada - but c'mon writers.  We have stuck with you and the show for 3 seasons now.  It would have been nice to get a lot more closure, explanation and clarity in return for all the hours we have watched.   

Spoiler

This third season had several story lines that were basically meaningless to the overall series.  Plus there was one entire episode that was unnecessary as far as adding anything to the show.  I would liked to have known more of the backstory of Sally and Robert.  Wasn't there one bungalow that we all thought was holding some kind of secret?  Why was John's boss so nice to him at the end when he had been after him for years? Instead of the fantasy scenes with Danny, I would have liked 10 minutes of so of "2 years from now" - with a glimpse of what became of the Rayburns. 

Edited by BizBuzz
Put spoiler tags on last paragraph.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, freeser said:

I know the Rayburn's are wealthy but how was Meg able to run away to what looked like California and live in a super fancy house,

She was a lawyer for awhile, I'm sure aside from Rayburn money she has more of her own than her brothers combined.

What clue did we get about the mystery phone call? If it was in the episode I missed it.

It was touching that John opted to spare Meg from having to come home and testify despite how it could have been bad news for him, but the whole time I was thinking "if the theory that she's the killer gains more traction, she'll end up having to answer some hard questions anyway." But Sally saved her from that. Who would have thought?

For the first bit there I thought Sally was going to blow the truth on the whole damn thing. It certainly is true that it's not possible Meg was the killer. I thought she was going to say "because the real killer was Kevin" until she lied about being with Meg.

It was a surprisingly smart play. Start off revealing this deep dark secret, so from that point people are inclined to believe her: "gee, she's willing to tell the truth about her secret shame, there's no way she's lying about anything else!"

I don't think Chelsea dropped Meg off at Marco's, so that was a lie. Not that I blame Chelsea for trying to beat the Rayburns at their lying game.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was a masterful performance by Sissy Spacek doing a masterful performance by Sally Rayburn. Or was she lying to John, after all? In these "conversations" with her mother, it's been mentioned that her father "went away." Have the hallucinations of the mother been seen in previous seasons? They ring a bell, but I can't recall when and can't be bothered to look it up. They are creepy as heck.

I can't stand Sally, but she's becoming an interesting character against all odds. The duplicity, the ruthlessness, the acting skills, the visions. And now plotting something with Roy. Selling the Inn, mayhap?

Kevin needs to get his comeuppance, and I'm thinking his wife might be the one to give it to him. Finally her eyes are opened. John's done horrible things, but Kevin is gleeful about sending someone to jail for 30 years for HIS crime. It doesn't get much scuzzier than that.

I was thinking similarly about Meg with her new life, but she did make a good point about not wanting to be found and be pressured to lie under oath.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 4

Well, Kevin wasn't quite as bad on the stand like I thought he would be, but he sure did look like a deer in the headlight at times, and he really was stupid to claim his phone calls to John were because he was worried about Belle, which not only could be refuted if they just called her to the stand, but now she herself knows something is up, and is telling Diana.  Again though, everyone seems to think it was Meg, so that's still cracking me up.

Speaking of which, so Meg has changed her name and is living in California now.  I guess I really can't blame her for finally getting the hell out of there and never looking back.

Chelsea's one fuck-up with the medicine ends up coming back to haunt her.  That's how it goes, it seems.

Sally's turn to get on the stand and she managed to even be more conniving and manipulating then John was with the whole crying act and bring up the past with what really went down with Robert/Sarah/Danny.  Even bringing up her father being jailed and fooling everyone including John.  As much as the Rayburn kids lie and fabricate, she truly is the master!

• Love 1
On 5/30/2017 at 11:08 PM, Bec said:

What clue did we get about the mystery phone call? If it was in the episode I missed it.

I don't think Chelsea dropped Meg off at Marco's, so that was a lie. Not that I blame Chelsea for trying to beat the Rayburns at their lying game.

We saw Sally take a call a few episodes ago, but whoever was on it didn't speak, and she thought it was Meg. So, somehow that's how John found her? Chelsea left the bar well before Meg, and Meg drove home at closing time, drunk out of her head, if I recall correctly. So all anyone would have had to do was ask the bartender.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:58 PM, peggy06 said:

That was a masterful performance by Sissy Spacek doing a masterful performance by Sally Rayburn. Or was she lying to John, after all? In these "conversations" with her mother, it's been mentioned that her father "went away." Have the hallucinations of the mother been seen in previous seasons? They ring a bell, but I can't recall when and can't be bothered to look it up. They are creepy as heck.

I can't stand Sally, but she's becoming an interesting character against all odds. The duplicity, the ruthlessness, the acting skills, the visions. And now plotting something with Roy. Selling the Inn, mayhap?

Kevin needs to get his comeuppance, and I'm thinking his wife might be the one to give it to him. Finally her eyes are opened. John's done horrible things, but Kevin is gleeful about sending someone to jail for 30 years for HIS crime. It doesn't get much scuzzier than that.

I was thinking similarly about Meg with her new life, but she did make a good point about not wanting to be found and be pressured to lie under oath.

Sissy had me going. I totally believed the story about the father. Her conversation with Gilbert was pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

Kevin's joy at Eric taking the deal (or pleading guilty) gave me no small amount of pleasure - since the idiot thinks he will still have his perfect life despite Belle's being clued in to what a liar he is.

I am very interested, though, in those nightmares they're all having. What happened to them - and did Gilbert have anything to do with it?

• Love 2
On 5/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, Artsda said:

She was a lawyer for awhile, I'm sure aside from Rayburn money she has more of her own than her brothers combined.

Maybe, but all lawyers aren't wealthy, and she hadn't been working much in the Keys before she moved. And she didn't work long enough in NYC to make any money. Being able to afford a house in the hills in LA is quite a stretch, even if she was renting.

Also, how in the hell did John find her? We got no explanation of that at all. And he was able to leave work and fly to LA on a moment's notice? 

• Love 1
On 6/8/2017 at 7:37 AM, cmfran said:

Maybe, but all lawyers aren't wealthy, and she hadn't been working much in the Keys before she moved. And she didn't work long enough in NYC to make any money. Being able to afford a house in the hills in LA is quite a stretch, even if she was renting.

Also, how in the hell did John find her? We got no explanation of that at all. And he was able to leave work and fly to LA on a moment's notice? 

Agree. I'm suspending disbelief with the "Meg runs away and establishes a new life" plot line. Sure, it's possible but perhaps not in the suggested timeline which seems to be 5-6 months. Regardless, we know that Meg wanted to get away from family before - when she took the job in NY - so I can accept that this was her long term character arc. Still, the hard-partying, tattoo-getting aspects of her new life are a little convenient...as is John's ability to suddenly find her. 

Kevin continues to be an idiot but NLB was great in this episode. The acting is really this show's strength.

On 6/11/2017 at 1:48 PM, Ellaria Sand said:

Agree. I'm suspending disbelief with the "Meg runs away and establishes a new life" plot line. Sure, it's possible but perhaps not in the suggested timeline which seems to be 5-6 months. Regardless, we know that Meg wanted to get away from family before - when she took the job in NY - so I can accept that this was her long term character arc. Still, the hard-partying, tattoo-getting aspects of her new life are a little convenient...as is John's ability to suddenly find her. 

Kevin continues to be an idiot but NLB was great in this episode. The acting is really this show's strength.

I'm guessing the writers decided to transplant Meg to LA based on convenience. They probably didn't have the budget for another location.

Overall, I really did not like the final season at all. So many dropped story lines and plot holes. I almost wish they hadn't bothered.

• Love 1

I never understood how Meg wasn't a suspect given the timing of her leave. Did the police even question her? They would have had the phone records so they knew there were calls that night. The first few episodes of the season were so good but Meg taking off and having it serve no plot point really bothered me.

• Love 1
On 6/11/2017 at 1:48 PM, Ellaria Sand said:

I second that!  The three brothers are all fantastic actors.  Note to casting directors - just call Kyle Chandler.  Whatever the role is, he'll knock it out of the park.

• Love 4
(edited)

Are these people ever sober?  Of course, if I was a Rayburn, I'd probably be hitting the sauce, too.  Sissy Spacek killed it this episode although I still hate the entire family.

Edited by uoflfan
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, uoflfan said:

Are these people ever sober?  Of course, if I was a Rayburn, I'd probably be hitting the sauce, too.  Sissy Spacek killed it this episode although I still hate the entire family.

As I'm watching more and more Netflix shows, I'm seeing a pattern.  None of the characters on The Ranch are ever sober either.  

On 5/30/2017 at 3:25 AM, knaankos said:

That was Question #1 here.   Where's the money coming from?   You can't live like that and not be employed in a pretty good job.   That would leave an electronic footprint, Social Security and/or credit trail, etc.   Investigators for the prosecution would have been able to find her very quickly.

So is that it?  Is the trial over?   Are we to assume Bannon took the plea and now he's history?

On 5/30/2017 at 5:03 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I'm sure she filed for a name change somewhere. It's not that difficult. She didn't need fake ID at all. 

Naw, that wouldv'e put her on the radar, public records.  She can;t be doing anything that leaves a paper trail.

As far as the money? Did the Rayburn sibs ever get a big bag o' cash in this whole saga? That belonged to Danny? Or something?

• Love 1