Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Eat What You Kill

• Start Topic

Animal Kingdom: Season Two Premiere 

After a risky heist misfires, the boys blame Smurf (Ellen Barkin), sending shock waves through the family. Baz (Scott Speedman) copes with being a single parent, while Deran (Jake Weary) makes plans for the future.

Theyyyyyyyyyyy're Baaaaack !!!!   Enjoyed the premiere.  The change in dynamics of the family creates a different tone.    The followthrough should be interesting with all the possibilities at hand.   

Wish Craig would "just say NO!"

• Love 2
(edited)

It was good.  Who was the guy visting Smurf?  Maybe I'm forgetting from last season.  

Also I'm no prude but what was the point of the graphic but quick sex scene?  It's like it's put in there just to have a sex scene.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 2

The guys were right to cut Smurf after she messed up Tuesday and Thursday. They don't even know that part.

So Baz's idea of single parenting is not parenting at all?

Deran's reaction to J's ex walking in when they were trying to leave was funny.

Loved the opening scene of the heist.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Also I'm no prude but what was the point of the graphic but quick sex scene?

If it involves Scott Speedman, is a point really necessary?

Is this a new storyline with Smurf?  Do not remember the dying man.

Was there a single allusion to Deran's gayness?

I'm happy that Pope seems to be suffering from at least a smattering of guilt.

• Love 2
(edited)

Please please please please get rid of J's annoying girlfriend!  Her scene with Craig was so unnecessary and jarring; she busts in on Craig complaining about her dad in a whining teenage voice and asking for drugs - UGH.  They even had to have Ben Robson tell his bed-mate who that visitor was, to remind the audience of the girls existence.  I'm not interested in her existence in the series or having her and Craig continue their "relationship" from last season.  I suspect she must be related to someone high up in the production to continue the role cause she is... not that good of an actress.  Forgive the rant.  

I fell asleep about 20 minutes into the ep, so a rewatch will be happening later, but I'm invested enough from last season to see how the Cody gang goes forward. Very curious about the guy who came to visit Smurf - he said that knew her when he was younger?  

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3

Good set-up for the season. I really enjoyed the heist scene. Curious to know who the dying man is. Love that Smurf has a gun perfectly hidden behind the orange juice in the garage fridge. 

I guess they want us to hate Baz now? Poor Leda. I've never understood the relationship he has with this other woman, the one who lives in Mexico (I think). She knows about Catherine; Catherine never seemed to know about her, as far as I could tell. I can't even remember her name. 

Daren's plan to take over the bar is actually kind of smart! About the last thing I expected from him. But he and Pope seem the most determined to make a break from Smurf. I think Baz still sees her as a mother figure and can't let go because it's the only semblance of family he's ever had. Craig is just going to do whatever the last person he talked to said to do. 

Not much of J in this episode. Not that I'm complaining. 

• Love 5

I'm forgetting: does Baz know he's not Lena's father? And that Pope is? If so, that makes his treatment of her all the worse, IMO. That poor child, being raised in that den of thieves and sociopaths. As soon as she's old enough grandma Smurf will probably be using her to help run scams.

• Love 1

I thought it was weak as a season premiere. I didn't refresh myself on last season and spent most of the episode trying to remember the relationships for this one to make some kind of sense. It just looked like some sad sack robbery crew with delusions of grander

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I thought it was weak as a season premiere. I didn't refresh myself on last season and spent most of the episode trying to remember the relationships for this one to make some kind of sense. It just looked like some sad sack robbery crew with delusions of grander

They pretty much are.

The basic source of friction is who gets to decide jobs and the cut they all get when it is done.  Craig (who is a bit of a drug addict) and Deran (who had a tendency to run off to make a point) are treated more like employees then equal share parts of the crew but like Deran told Craig in the episode he doesn't help matters by getting high before a meeting.

Pope is mostly the muscle.  He killed Baz's girlfriend even though he was in love with her.  I am still not clear if he is Lena's father or just wishes he was.  Pope is also the twin of Josh's Mom.  

Baz is the adopted favorite brother and probable father of Josh.  He is the brains and has the hardest time separating himself from Smurf who took him in from a difficult situation  

Smurf controls them all though manipulating them.  She didn't tell them the job this episode going bad was actually her fault.  She got the day wrong.  She also plays them against each other when she needs to to get them on her side.  Right now it looks like she is sitting back knowing that they are bound to self destruct.  They couldn't even hold a meeting without squabbling about location and the cut.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm forgetting: does Baz know he's not Lena's father? And that Pope is?

Has this been established for certain? I can't remember, but I think all we know for sure is that Smurf manipulated Pope into thinking Catherine was the cause of all his troubles because Smurf wanted her out of the way and knew she could get inside Pope's head. It was also Smurf who insinuated to J that Baz might be his father - but we don't know that for sure, either.

Messed up family.

I didn't refresh myself on last season and spent most of the episode trying to remember the relationships for this one to make some kind of sense. 

I re-watched the very first episode and the season finale over the weekend. That definitely helped.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

Has this been established for certain?

I guess that's what I'm unsure of. Pope seems to be acting like he thinks Lena's his kid while Baz is acting like he barely wants to be bothered with her. Either that or Pope's acting out of guilt because he killed her mother.

It was also Smurf who insinuated to J that Baz might be his father - but we don't know that for sure, either.

If Baz is J's father then I think it's unlikely he's also Lena's father. There's more drama in both he and Pope getting unexpected paternity news.

• Love 2

Loved the premiere. This seems like an unpopular opinion, but J is my favorite character. He's the only character (besides Lena) who still has a bit of innocence. I like that he's observant, he's smart, and as long as Baz doesn't kill him, I think he'll be okay. I like that he still goes to school and does homework. Hopefully he wants something more than the Cody life of crime. Or maybe he'll be like Michael Corlene and end up becoming the most ruthless member of the family. 

I can't with Smurf anymore. Not since she convinced Pope to kill the mother of her granddaughter--who she supposedly loves. Poor Lena. Keeps looking for a mom that will never come home. And has a father who can't spend two minutes with her. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

All of the boys (other than Pope) were looking pretty fetching in the premiere.  Even J (!?)

True. But I thought that Pope looked cute, too. I,like the longer, curlier hair on him. Makes him look less like a psychopath than usual. 

• Love 2
Just now, topanga said:

True. But I thought that Pope looked cute, too. I,like the longer, curlier hair on him. Makes him look less like a psychopath than usual. 

I think I just can't get past his asexual vibe.  

As opposed to Craig, who is sex on a stick.  (A hot mess, but still sex on a stick.)

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

All of the boys (other than Pope) were looking pretty fetching in the premiere.  Even J (!?)

J's definitely got a wardrobe upgrade with the money.

• Love 1

I found it a little tedious last season that just about every episode had the Cody men bitching about being under Smurf's thumb, wanting to plan jobs, wanting bigger cuts.  One episode into S2 and its that same broken record.  I hope that theme gets dropped sooner than later.

Gabrielle we don't know for sure - it's just speculation.

I don't understand why Deran didn't have the 50K he needed for the bar. How much was his take in the Camp Pendleton job? They made off with a nice chunk of change in that heist - remember all the fat stacks wrapped in plastic they hid in the pool drain? Surely Daren got at least 50K out of that. And unlike Craig he wouldn't have blown it all on drugs. Most of their living expenses are taken care of by Smurf so he should have been able to cough up the cash he needed easily.

• Love 3

I got the impression that the current episode is long removed from the Camp Pendleton job, and, knowing these guys' habits, a lot of the cash has been spent.

What I want to know is, when and where did they film when the gasoline was $2.68 per gallon?

9 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Wait!!!! What?!?!?!?  Somehow I completely missed that reveal last season.  Are we sure about this or did they just hint at it?

We don't know for sure, but they threw the possibility out there as well as the possibility of Jay being Baz's son.

9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

What I want to know is, when and where did they film when the gasoline was $2.68 per gallon?

I saw that too and here I am bi*tchin about $2.00 gas where I live.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It's L.A. Their price is higher than other states.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Artsda said:

It's L.A. Their price is higher than other states.

More correctly all of California because of our special California only blends of gasoline along with the state taxes. Rural areas generally cost more, the lower income level suburbs the least. As I type this about to get more gas depending upon the station location in the greater LA basin and if it is a brand name or not I am looking at from $2.75 to around $3.30 for a gallon of unleaded.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2017 at 10:50 AM, patty1h said:

Please please please please get rid of J's annoying girlfriend!  Her scene with Craig was so unnecessary and jarring; she busts in on Craig complaining about her dad in a whining teenage voice and asking for drugs - UGH.  

Agree with you so much, she is so annoying! I am glad this show is back. Not perfect but I enjoy it. I also appreciate all the man candy to look at in each episode.

• Love 3
On 5/31/2017 at 3:35 AM, Valmarmar said:

Theyyyyyyyyyyy're Baaaaack !!!!   Enjoyed the premiere.  The change in dynamics of the family creates a different tone.    The followthrough should be interesting with all the possibilities at hand.   

Wish Craig would "just say NO!"

I missed it on purpose, but, I'm glad to hear that the dynamics have changed.  That sounds promising.  The show has so much potential, but, some things about it were frustrating.  I'll look forward to catching up. 

• Love 1

I got the impression that the current episode is long removed from the Camp Pendleton job, and, knowing these guys' habits, a lot of the cash has been spent.

Smurf mentioned in the beginning they were still living off the Camp Pendleton job. I'd still like to know how much exactly they made off with because it looked like a lot of money to burn through that quickly. Hard to say how much time is supposed to have passed since the end of Season 1 but since J is still in school it can't be more than a year.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:
On 6/2/2017 at 1:52 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Smurf mentioned in the beginning they were still living off the Camp Pendleton job. I'd still like to know how much exactly they made off with because it looked like a lot of money to burn through that quickly. Hard to say how much time is supposed to have passed since the end of Season 1 but since J is still in school it can't be more than a year.

They can't have too much time pass between this premiere and the last, otherwise J ages up and we lose the minor/dependent angle on his character. My guess is it's not that much later, but Smurf didn't give them the full take up front.

Considering the whole drama hinges on Smurf's financial and emotional hold over them, I wish they would be more explicit about the split. If I recall correctly Craig said the Pendleton job was $60K. Of course, I'm not fully convinced Craig is that competent at mental math so let's take that with a grain of salt. Whatever the amount, it's a shitload of money, their biggest ever but I'm inclined to believe Smurf held onto a great big chunk and is slowly doling out their individual cuts. Or she justifies taking a bigger cut because she apparently handles all their expenses too (I love Craig but his mom pays his credit card? SMH). 

When smurf pulled out the ground beef for " family dinner" night I thought what is she going to put in that meat?? So all through dinner, especially after her meatloaf comment I was looking for someone to start coughing and fall out of their chair. 

I also would like to know who is the tall bald guy with the dying father. Is he another son of hers she abandoned instead of raised?

i second and third the man candy ?. It was delicious!! Mm... good! 

• Love 2