Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, nikma said:

I don't think that "surprising because it's not surprising" is the answer IMO. If you say it's the ending most fans didn't expect you can't mean it's Jon and Dany. And why would fans love that ending "in reflection"?  I know everything is controversial in this fandom, but for GA I don't think Targ victory is something that needs time to appreciate.

It depends on the "fans". People involved in the fandom and (more numerous but steady) casual viewers have different views and expectations. And perspectives change. Four/five years ago,  when I got into the fandom with no book or universe knowledge, I was floored that Sandor/Sansa was a huge thing whereas Jon/Dany was borderline a crackship.

It's like the "they don't know we know they know" of Friends fame. It depends on whose perspective the actors adopt, and what are their assumptions about those fans.

And also, my PR averse self whispers to me, on what the PR department dictates them to say.

4 hours ago, onyxrose81 said:

The amount of grief Dany gets for the Tarlys is ridiculous.  Tarly Senior wouldn't bend the knee, and he said she didn't have the authority to send him to The Wall.

And she clearly took no pleasure whatsoever in it, she was asserting her authority. To me, it was a "kill the boy" moment, a parallel to Jon executing Slynt. If it was supposed to be foreshadowing of the Mad Queen for S8, then imo it was a huge fail.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

It depends on the "fans". People involved in the fandom and (more numerous but steady) casual viewers have different views and expectations. And perspectives change. Four/five years ago,  when I got into the fandom with no book or universe knowledge, I was floored that Sandor/Sansa was a huge thing whereas Jon/Dany was borderline a crackship.

It's like the "they don't know we know they know" of Friends fame. It depends on whose perspective the actors adopt, and what are their assumptions about those fans.

And also, my PR averse self whispers to me, on what the PR department dictates them to say.

And she clearly took no pleasure whatsoever in it, she was asserting her authority. To me, it was a "kill the boy" moment, a parallel to Jon executing Slynt. If it was supposed to be foreshadowing of the Mad Queen for S8, then imo it was a huge fail.

It can be a possible hint from the writers that Dany won’t be endgame queen while having nothing to do with a Mad Queen storyline. Saying that the Tarly execution is meaningless as foreshadowing for Dany’s IT prospects unless D&D are planning on making Dany a Mad Queen in S8 is a false dichotomy in my opinion.

And the differing treatments by the writers of Jon and Dany’s executions of Slynt and the Tarlys—admiration from Stannis and horror from Tyrion—is strong evidence that the intended effects on the audience were different in each instance and not, in fact, a parallel.

• Love 1

I think the fact that they framed Dany as wrong or too harsh when she was executing Tarlys could be a sign that she isn't endgame queen material.But also imo it could be just them continuing to show that she can be ruthless and all fire and blood sometimes which I'm not sure is supposed to be a bad thing when she can balance it with her merciful qualities and desire to help people.Plus they play with the mad queen,is she like her father hints sometimes as much as I don't believe they'll go through with it.

It's true that they didn't frame Jon as in the wrong for executing Slynt or too harsh when he killed the NW members that stabbed him,including a child and that's a sign that the audience isn't supposed to question it.But the show constantly does that with Jon especially imo,they don't want him doing anything too unlikable or truly morally grey tho I don't think that's the case with book Jon.It could be a hint that he's true king material and the best possible option for the endgame but most of the time I feel it's just the show wanting at least one fully,more conventionally heroic type of character.

• Love 4

/tbmeek3 at /Freefolk has said that Kit, Maisie and Sophie would be staying in Belfast until they were done. (They explained that this was from info from mutual friends of Conan about the timing of Conan’s trip to Belfast.) So if Sophie has left, it’s because she has finished filming.

30 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

I think the fact that they framed Dany as wrong or too harsh when she was executing Tarlys could be a sign that she isn't endgame queen material.But also imo it could be just them continuing to show that she can be ruthless and all fire and blood sometimes which I'm not sure is supposed to be a bad thing when she can balance it with her merciful qualities and desire to help people.Plus they play with the mad queen,is she like her father hints sometimes as much as I don't believe they'll go through with it.

It's true that they didn't frame Jon as in the wrong for executing Slynt or too harsh when he killed the NW members that stabbed him,including a child and that's a sign that the audience isn't supposed to question it.But the show constantly does that with Jon especially imo,they don't want him doing anything too unlikable or truly morally grey tho I don't think that's the case with book Jon.It could be a hint that he's true king material and the best possible option for the endgame but most of the time I feel it's just the show wanting at least one fully,more conventionally heroic type of character.

I guess then my next question would be if that’s the case, why would the writers want to make Jon a “conventionally heroic type of character” but not Dany? They are supposed to parallel each other, after all.

It’s interesting to go over the list of which characters were made more or less morally  questionable than in the books. For characters like Tywin, the degree to which they were made more or less morally questionable relative to the books obviously had nothing to do with the endgame, but for the mains, it makes one wonder. 

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

/tbmeek3 at /Freefolk has said that Kit, Maisie and Sophie would be staying in Belfast until they were done. (They explained that this was from info from mutual friends of Conan about the timing of Conan’s trip to Belfast.) So if Sophie has left, it’s because she has finished filming.

Yeah, but many are waiting for some sort of real confirmation.

The cave shoot should be done today I think, with cleanup tomorrow , right?

Edited by GrailKing

I've been mulling over this for a while, and finally decided to post (usually I lurk).

Danaerys likes to talk about breaking the wheel. But I was most interested in the tidbits about the Targaryen line being nothing without the might of their dragons. They came to power only because of their dragons. And then lost their power as their dragon became no bigger than cats. She said something like, "We diminished." 

So if the only way to stop the WW and NK is the end all magic (including the dragons), then the GoT ending would be a world without magic. Which is bitter for many there and yet brings hope of a real life without the Wall and worries about a future Winter coming that could destroy them all.  
       How can a Targaryen rule in such a world?
       How do Starks live in such a world?

The people, including the remaining Targs and Starks, all start over. Maybe that's the true breaking of the wheel.

Bittersweet ending

In thinking about the GRRM's fondness for the bittersweet ending of LotR:  The bittersweetness reflected the huge change in the world: the end of the Third Age. The Elves (magic) departed / diminished, leaving Middle Earth to the realm of Men. A similar ending for Westeros would be the loss of mystery and wonder, and the move toward an average-man's life. That is, no more magic: dragons, CotF, WW, NK, the Wall, and maybe even the Lord of Light / Red Priestesses. Westeros won't be the same Seven Kingdoms, and the Iron Throne would no longer matter (probably won't even exist). Westeros that was becomes history, similar to Valyria. (What goes around comes around.)

So, Jon and Dany might survive but they won't be ruling Westeros because it pretty much no longer exists as a kingdom or a kingdom of little kingdoms. Most of the little kingdoms are wiped out.

Jon & Dany's ending

If you're a major character, you often get what you need not what you state you want in the beginning of the story. Because you're supposed to grow over the course of the story. And usually realize that your early wishes were unfounded immature beliefs. 

• Once she learns to take charge of her destiny, Dany wants to live with her husband and child. She thought that was all lost when Drogo and her son died. When that dream ended, she spent a lot of time and effort trying to get her birthright. It's a lot of work (and several TV seasons) to get even close to the Red Keep but she won't complete that quest because of the WW & NK. So she'll end up with what she really needs: husband and child in the form of Jon and boatsex-baby, possibly more kids. With a changed world, she won't need to be Queen of the Andals, [insert a million titles a la Aragorn here].
  • From the start, Jon never expected to be a leader or important, but he became both and wasn't exactly happy.  [Dany: 'We all like to do what we're good at.'  Jon: 'I don't."] He wanted to know about his parentage -- well, he'll learn that but will it make him happy? Throughout the story, he is moved closer and closer to the center of the primary conflict, eventually becoming a major player for the climax. And yet, Jon is most like the Samwise Gamgee of GoT -- a nobody thrust into huge events who does what needs to be done for the good of everyone.* And like Sam, he most likely will return to a simple life, with the sad knowledge of how the world has changed and how much he or those he fought for and protected have lost. He'll always feel the pain of knowing that he couldn't save them from those losses. But be happy with what he has: knowledge of who he is and having loved ones around him.

*Sam takes on the burden of the Ring when he believes Frodo is dead. He contemplates gathering an army, raising his flaming sword, and challenging Sauron, then realizes that he couldn't win that fight. He 'knew he was not large enough to bear such a burden... The one small garden of a free-gardener was all his need and due, not a swollen garden to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command." Instead, he determines to fulfill the quest and enters the scariest place in Middle Earth. A few chapters later, he willingly returns the Ring to Frodo. Then he literally carries Frodo up Mt. Doom. He gets that garden in the end, and honors that are due to him. But he's sad that it came at such a huge cost to his friends and his world.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

It can be a possible hint from the writers that Dany won’t be endgame queen while having nothing to do with a Mad Queen storyline. Saying that the Tarly execution is meaningless as foreshadowing for Dany’s IT prospects unless D&D are planning on making Dany a Mad Queen in S8 is a false dichotomy in my opinion.

And the differing treatments by the writers of Jon and Dany’s executions of Slynt and the Tarlys—admiration from Stannis and horror from Tyrion—is strong evidence that the intended effects on the audience were different in each instance and not, in fact, a parallel.

I don't remember talking at all about the Crispy Tarlys in relation to Dany's prospects as endgame queen in general. I said that if it was a foreshadowing of a Mad Queen storyline in particular, it was poorly executed imo.  Same, I said that to me it was a parallel between Jon/Dany, expressing a personal interpretation and not commenting on what D&D intended it to be.

(edited)
9 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Surprising, heartbreaking, shocking and satisfying. And he's talking about season eight as a whole and not just his arc. He's never been one to shy away from criticism so I'm going to trust him on this. 

I think there are so many possibilities that don't even cross people's minds when it comes to these broad adjectives that it's incredibly difficult to know with any certainty what they mean. Here are some examples of events that could fit those adjectives:

• Surprising:
    • Winterfell falls again (I was surprised by this, as many were when we first started reading spoilers about it because many of us thought that it wouldn't fall twice)
    • Jaime kills Cersei (wouldn't surprise book readers who know that the prophecy mentions a Valonqar, that Cersei came into the world first and Jaime second, that Jaime is increasingly bitter toward his sister, and that he wouldn't go to her aid when she was a prisoner of the sparrows, but it might surprise TV viewers who see Jaime as someone who stuck by Cersei  through the worst of her actions, like the wildfire stunt, and who would go North first without even taking her to task for her actions)
    • The AOTD make it to King's Landing (some people may still think that all the forces gathering up north could stop the WW from reaching that far South; early on in the speculation craze, people on this very thread theorized that S8 would be dealing with the WW first and then dealing with Cersei)
    • All the dragons die (this would surprise me, as I think at least one of them will be alive - Drogon, off course - until the end)
    • All the dragons die, but the closing shot is of three new dragon eggs (it could happen, couldn't it? and the show would play appropriate suspense music in crescendo while the cameras linger on the eggs, so we would know to be properly surprised by the image)
    • Nymeria's pack shows up to help with the fight and save our heroes in the nick of time (not likely, given how infatuated D&D are with the dragons, but...)

• Heartbreaking:
    • Character deaths, specially those who have been on the "good" side like Tormund, Pod, Brienne, and Greyworm.  Or characters the audience sympathizes with because they are on a redemption arc, like Jaime (although I think book readers might find that sadder than TV viewers)
    • Highly beloved animals die.  I'm pretty sure Drogon and/or Ghost's death will gut many of us
    • Jon and/or Dany survives until the end but the other one doesn't
    • All of Westeros is devastated and ravaged, thousands upon thousands die and we are hit with images of a post war Westeros that is completely destroyed, with people in rags, crying, etc.
    • Jaime and Brienne finally confess their love for one another and then Jaime dies in her arms

• Shocking:
    • Dany is pregnant (some people still argue that she is barren after losing Rhaego, some TV viewers haven't been hit by the baby anvils yet, believe it or not)
    • Jaime kills Cersei
    • Tyrion turns against Daenerys (not likely, IMO, but the theory is out there, and the ground has been set for some sort of rift/conflict between them)
    • Cersei is ousted from the Throne by someone other than Jon/Dany (spoilers seem to indicate this will be the case, however it is done, I'm sure many will be shocked as most people expect Cersei to be removed from power by either Jon or Dany)
    • Winterfell falls
    • The AOTD make it to King's Landing
    • Jon dies after defeating the NK, a heartbroken Daenerys refuses the throne and decides to raise Jon's baby in Dragonstone

• Satisfying
    • The good guys win, the bad guys die
Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

I think there are so many possibilities that don't even cross people's minds when it comes to these broad adjectives that it's incredibly difficult to know with any certainty what they mean.

I agree. The most telling remarks from actors are probably those not directly connected to the endgame, when they're less on their guard, unfortunately it's something that will only appear in hindsight.

Cersei is ousted from the Throne by someone other than Jon/Dany (spoilers seem to indicate this will be the case, however it is done, I'm sure many will be shocked as most people expect Cersei to be removed from power by either Jon or Dany)

And those who don't expect it to be Jon and Dany generally think that Euron will betray her. If it's Nestoris/The Iron Bank, for example, an awful lot of people would be in for a big surprise. Even me, in spite of thinking it' a possibility.

There are different levels of speculation depending on a viewer's involvement in the fandom/books etc. so the main question isn't so much coming up with theories, but guessing with which level in mind the comments are made.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

• Satisfying
    • The good guys win, the bad guys die

They definitely do cover a lot, don't they? And I agree that there's not much to conclude based on adjectives alone. It is comforting, though, to see NCW so enthusiastic about the new season since he's always been so passionate about the series and hasn't been afraid to voice his displeasure at some of the previous writing choices where his own character is concerned. 

Edited by shireenbamfatheon
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thought I'd update this:

Confirmed or Probably Still Filming: Jon (Kit is said to be filming for another 2-3 weeks), Dany (Emilia spotted with cast this week), Arya (stunt double in NI for a few more weeks), Davos (Liam spotted with cast earlier this week), Gregor (still in Belfast per IG), Theon (Alfie took pic with fans this week), Euron (Pilou said he was finishing up in June), Cersei (Lena said she was finishing in June)

Confirmed or Probably Done: Gendry (confirmed), Gilly (confirmed), Missandei (Nathalie packed this week, has con coming up), Jaime (NCW said he was finishing on June 8th), Sansa (Sophie popped up in Australia, supposedly she wasn't leaving Belfast until she finished filming), Bran, Yara (Gemma's been filming another project)

No Clue: Tyrion, Grey Worm, Brienne, Sandor

ETA: /BoatsexBaby reposted a tweet from May 30th about Ballygowan County Down filming:

@GameOfThrones just heard through the grapevine. G.O.T filming in/around Ballygowan Co. Down next week.

And added this:

Horses and stables were showing up in crew members IG over the last couple of days. Seems to be a shoot spanning at least 3-4 days.

Interesting. If this is from 8x05 or 8x06 and is a non-battle scene (3-4 days' filming), what are they filming? Dothraki going back to Essos? And who's left to film it? Emilia? Kit?

I think that whatever Kit, Liam and Maisie have been filming nonstop for several weeks (and are continuing to film) on the KL sets is separate from what all the other cast members in Belfast are filming, given that the others like Nathalie, Sophie and Isaac have come and gone while Kit, Liam and Maisie have been in Belfast pretty much continuously.

Edited by Eyes High
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

ETA: /BoatsexBaby reposted a tweet from May 30th about Ballygowan County Down filming:

And added this:

Interesting. If this is from 8x05 or 8x06 and is a non-battle scene (3-4 days' filming), what are they filming? Dothraki going back to Essos? And who's left to film it? Emilia? Kit?

(edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, onyxrose81 said:

The amount of grief Dany gets for the Tarlys is ridiculous.  Tarly Senior wouldn't bend the knee, and he said she didn't have the authority to send him to The Wall.  I wouldn't lug around a person like that and keep him prisoner, so he gotta go.  Dickon's decision to die was just straight up stupid; even Randyll was like "Bend the freaking knee."  Daenerys used her weapon, dragonfire, to kill them.  How would it be better if she ordered the Unsullied or Dothraki to kill them?  Her dragons are part of her.  

So should the Boltons be allowed to skin people alive until they die? Should the Ironborn be allowed to drown them? Should the Arryns be allowed to huck them out the Moondoor? All these people are rightly seen as at best insane, and at worst mustache twirling cartoonish villains. 

I don't have issues with Dany performing executions, the Tarlys were in open rebellion and said very clearly that they would never not be. But there's such a thing as a clean death, a beheading, a knife to the heart etc. This is why Ned and the Starks are seen as honourable in the eyes of both the characters and the audience. They don't take their criminals and let wolves eat them alive, because they aren't crazy.  

Burning people alive does not fit into the category of a clean death. It doesn't matter if it's tradition, it doesn't matter if "her dragons are part of her." It's cruel and unusual and sane people don't burn other people alive. 

Dany has a history of this too, she doesn't simply execute someone, she goes for a cruel and unnecessarily showy death, such as disembowling 100+ people or locking two people in a vault to starve to death. She's a freaking psychopath.  

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 1:49 PM, Maximum Taco said:

So should the Boltons be allowed to skin people alive until they die? Should the Ironborn be allowed to drown them? Should the Arryns be allowed to huck them out the Moondoor? All these people are rightly seen as at best insane, and at worst mustache twirling cartoonish villains. 

I don't have issues with Dany performing executions, the Tarlys were in open rebellion and said very clearly that they would never not be. But there's such a thing as a clean death, a beheading, a knife to the heart etc. This is why Ned and the Starks are seen as honourable in the eyes of both the characters and the audience. They don't take their criminals and let wolves eat them alive, because they aren't crazy.  

Burning people alive does not fit into the category of a clean death. It doesn't matter if it's tradition, it doesn't matter if "her dragons are part of her." It's cruel and unusual and sane people don't burn other people alive. 

Dany has a history of this too, she doesn't simply execute someone, she goes for a cruel and unnecessarily showy death, such as disembowling 100+ people or locking two people in a vault to starve to death. She's a freaking psychopath.  

Being burned alive by dragon fire is as rapid a death as beheading, and maybe even more so since often times it takes more than one strike to kill someone. Dragon fire is not like being burned at the stake, which takes a very long time, and is incredibly painful. It’s more rapid than hanging, being skinned alive, sent out the Moondoor, or being eaten alive by wolves. The outrage over Dany’s method of execution is lost on me. A “clean” death to me is one in which a person doesn’t suffer, which means a quick death. Dragon fire meets that criteria.

I know the writers seem to want us to question Dany’s sanity by having Tyrion hypocritically be outraged by her executing the Tarleys and using dragon fire to do it, however, they did moderate her behavior by having her offer to let them join the Night’s Watch, and not showing Jon’s reaction to it. By the end of the season he’s saying she’s worthy of being queen, and bending the knee to her. 

Edited by glowbug
  • Love 8
(edited)
35 minutes ago, glowbug said:

Being burned alive by dragon fire is as rapid a death as beheading, and maybe even more so since often times it takes more than one strike to kill someone. Dragon fire is not like being burned at the stake, which takes a very long time, and is incredibly painful. It’s more rapid than hanging, being skinned alive, sent out the Moondoor, or being eaten alive by wolves. The outrage over Dany’s method of execution is lost on me. A “clean” death to me is one in which a person doesn’t suffer, which means a quick death. Dragon fire meets that criteria.

I know the writers seem to want us to question Dany’s sanity by having Tyrion hypocritically be outraged by her executing the Tarleys and using dragon fire to do it, however, they did moderate her behavior by having her offer to join the Night’s Watch, and not showing Jon’s reaction to it. By the end of the season he’s saying she’s worthy of being queen, and bending the knee to her. 

I don't really think any of us can say what being burned alive is like. I'm sure it is more painful then a beheading. We hear Dickon and Lord Randyll scream and we see them writhe in the flames. Was it quick? Arguably, but not as quick as a swift stroke to the neck. Was it painless? Absolutely not.

She never actually does offer him the Black either, Tyrion suggests it but Randyll points out that she has no way to compel him to the wall, as only someone he has sworn to obey may do that. They also don't show Jon's reaction, but is that so he doesn't paint her as an enemy in our eyes, or is that so he can feel comfortable swearing allegiance to her afterwards? To me that scene was important because she doesn't get into specifics, she tells Jon that "she has fewer enemies now" but she doesn't tell him she publicly executed a House by Dragonfire, she instead paints her actions as the same as Jon's killing of the Bolton men at the Battle of the Bastards. 

IMO, if we are building to a Jon/Dany standoff at some point, which I don't think is out of the question, it makes sense for him to see her cruelty later, so that he can lose faith in her. He can't exactly lose faith in her if he doesn't have faith in her to begin with. 

Dany chooses to burn people alive, either slowly or quickly, or feed them to her literal monsters, or lock them in a vault and let them slowly starve to death, or disembowl and crucify them in eye-for-an-eye style of justice. She seems to do this, not for any real reason, but because she likes to do it this way, or possibly to cow the populace into following her through fear in a move straight from the Emperor Palpatine playbook (Fear will keep the local systems in line.) She seems as psychotic as anyone in the series so far, save for the Boltons or the Mad King. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5

I think the Tarley execution is more about Dany's acceptance in Westeros than the actual execution itself.  The battle in the Reach was the first glimpse that Westerosi (except for Tyrion, Jorah, Jon and Davos) have of Dany.  She won the battle but she might have lost the war.  Randyll Tarley is a jerk but he was voicing what other Westerosi are probably thinking.  He views her as a foreigner and as having no authority over him.  He didn't see her as his ruler.  Dany views ruling Westeros as her birthright.  That doesn't mean that other people care about her claim to the throne.  At this point she only has a claim to the throne.  And to get the lords to see her as an authority she used fear.  She burned the Tarleys and then the other lords bent the knee.  I don't think that the lords who bent the knee to her want to be ruled by her.  I think they just didn't want to be burned.  You need the consent of the people you want to rule to rule but the consent given to her was given under duress.  To the soldiers she looked like a tyrant.  That battle is the first impression that the Westerosi have of her.  I doubt those defeated soldiers see her as a good person. 

• Love 6
(edited)

If Dany should be considered a psychopath for burning the Tarlys, then other main characters should definitely be painted with the psychopath brush as well:

Sansa - gleefully arranged for Ramsey get eaten alive by dogs, happily participated in LF's execution for various alleged crimes without any formal trial

Jon - nearly beat Ramsey to death with his bare hands, happily executed a young child, executed a guy for sassing him and not following an order, used his authority as LC to execute the people who participated in his ambush and then promptly quit as LC, is friends with a number of wildlings (and was in love with one) who are unrepentant murderers and thieves etc. (and some are rapists as well)

Arya - has a kill list that must be pushing 50, bakes people into pies and stabs people in the eyes, happily executed LF for various alleged crimes without a formal trial

Jaime - attempted to murder a child, has stayed with Cersei for years despite her blowing up the sept and ordering the deaths and beatings of numerous others

Tyrion - murdered his father with a crossbow, then murdered his girlfriend

Mel - burns random people at the stake to serve her god

Varys - Has served the crown through various questionable regimes i.e Aerys, Robert and Cersei and only in s7 decided to cut bait

Barely any of the main characters on this show have clean hands, so I'm skeptical that Dany is suddenly going to be found to be soooo evil in s8.  Especially since Jon has proven in the past that he is happy to have a girlfriend who is a thief and a murderer.  He was fine with Ygritte, so the idea that he will suddenly recoil in disgust when he learns that Dany executed the Tarlys after a battle doesn't really seem to fly.

Also, they need Dany, her dragons and her armies to fight the WW.  That's why Jon and co were willing to parlay with Cersei despite the history there.  If the Tarly burning comes out to everyone in the first 1 or 2 eps and people are hypocritically horrified by it, what are they going to do? Are Jon and co going to send Dany and her army away and try and fight the WW on their own?

Edited by bubble sparkly
  • Love 7
(edited)

There is a separate thread dedicated to discussing the pre-sequel.

40 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

Barely any of the main characters on this show have clean hands, so I'm skeptical that Dany is suddenly going to be found to be soooo evil in s8.  

Since the start of the show, some people have been insisting that Dany and Jon would be enemies when they met, instead they had a few antagonistic moments, she saved his life, he bent the knee, and they fell in love.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Mod Note:

A number of posts discussing the announced spinoff pilot have been moved to the dedicated topic for that here

Dany actions being viewed as good or bad in S7 should either be in her character topic or the relevant S7 episode topics, not here.

Further off topic posts won't be moved, just removed. Simples.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bubble sparkly said:

Sansa - gleefully arranged for Ramsey get eaten alive by dogs, happily participated in LF's execution for various alleged crimes without any formal trial

Jon - nearly beat Ramsey to death with his bare hands, happily executed a young child, executed a guy for sassing him and not following an order, used his authority as LC to execute the people who participated in his ambush and then promptly quit as LC, is friends with a number of wildlings (and was in love with one) who are unrepentant murderers and thieves etc. (and some are rapists as well)

You're really stretching using terms happily or gleefully.

I had no problem with Randyl Tarley, Dickon is another matter, I don't consider her psycho, but she did have more conventional methods for Dickon. 

• Love 4

I saw speculation that the Cushendun Caves "filming" this week was for a promotional photoshoot, given the presence of an HBO guy in Belfast doing promotional stuff. Thoughts?

I'm also wondering, although I mentioned it upthread, what others think about the possibility that whatever Kit, Maisie and Liam are filming on the KL exterior sets is separate from everyone else who's been coming and going in Belfast, such as Emilia, Sophie, Isaac, and Nathalie. I wouldn't expect the latter four to be involved in action scenes in KL, anyway, since Dany will be on her dragon and Bran, Sansa and Missandei will be hiding out somewhere as non-combatants, and since whatever Maisie's filming probably involves intense action (with her stunt double working nonstop for several weeks now and continuing for a few more).

/BoatsexBaby claimed that Bran was involved in the final battle against the NK; he was on a list of several characters whose actors had filmed scenes in the battle (or so /BoatsexBaby claimed), including Jon, Arya, Dany, Brienne, Jaime, and a few others (I think there were eight in total?). I wonder if he's astrally projecting so that Bran is standing around in the middle of the action? He has only ever astrally projected himself to the past, though, although I guess nothing's stopping him from doing it between different locations.

Something odd to consider is Arya running around KL involved in heavy action scenes and presumably fighting without Gendry. It would make sense for Gendry to be at her side when all this is going on, as he's a very capable fighter and from the sounds of it in the final battle it will be all hands on deck. It would make even more sense for Gendry and Arya to be fighting side by side if they're to end up together. However, we know that he's not with her, since Joe Dempsie wrapped in Seville. Why?

4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Something odd to consider is Arya running around KL involved in heavy action scenes and presumably fighting without Gendry. It would make sense for Gendry to be at her side when all this is going on, as he's a very capable fighter and from the sounds of it in the final battle it will be all hands on deck. It would make even more sense for Gendry and Arya to be fighting side by side if they're to end up together. However, we know that he's not with her, since Joe Dempsie wrapped in Seville. Why?

Imo Arya is more one for stealth missions (action scene could be a pursuit/parkour kind of stuff, like in 6x08 or she then can fight on the way) whereas Gendry is more of a beat'em all kind of fighter (I love my boy but subtlety? Not his thing, LOL). It would make sense, if Arya infiltrates KL, that Gendry doesn't come with her. All the more if Gendry is involved in creating a new weapon, as Joe Dempsie alluded to, he might supervise its use.

The cast list currently filming, Arya possibly infiltrating KL etc. really reminds me of the first set of "leaks", where Jon Snow is captured, Arya/Davos infiltrate KL to save him and there's a pursuit in KL's streets. I remember there were missing parts (Bran's role, Dany's storyline etc.). I guess it was a fluke.

(edited)

Did Sophie Turner's tattoo just give away the spoiler that all the Starks survive?

Interesting words that Sophie has chosen, instead of the House Stark words of Winter is Coming.  It does signify the culmination of her LF story and feud with Arya on the show. Wonder what Maisie and Kit will be getting... I think Emilia has said she is getting a dragon tattoo.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, nikma said:

I think they will all survive, but I don't think that's a spoiler.

i DO TO, though way back in my head it could be one of Sophie's best trolling ever. LOL

7 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Imo Arya is more one for stealth missions (action scene could be a pursuit/parkour kind of stuff, like in 6x08 or she then can fight on the way) whereas Gendry is more of a beat'em all kind of fighter (I love my boy but subtlety? Not his thing, LOL). It would make sense, if Arya infiltrates KL, that Gendry doesn't come with her. All the more if Gendry is involved in creating a new weapon, as Joe Dempsie alluded to, he might supervise its use.

Maybe, but with all the (remaining) fighters on Team Jon/Dany involved in the big KL battle, it would be strange for Gendry to sit it out...unless he dies at whatever goes down at the Dragonpit that was filmed at Seville, I guess. It also seems strange to me to have Jon, Davos and Arya involved in action-packed shenanigans in KL without Gendry, since he has close ties to all three characters by the time S8 rolls around.

It occurs to me that if Sophie is indeed done and Thor (Gregor) is continuing to film, does that mean that Sansa isn't involved in Cleganebowl after all, even as a spectator?

(Not that what Thor is filming now is necessarily Cleganebowl, but if he's busy filming stuff that we know is probably from either 8x05 or 8x06, one can make certain assumptions.)

And while we're on the subject of Gregor...

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

It occurs to me that if Sophie is indeed done and Thor (Gregor) is continuing to film, does that mean that Sansa isn't involved in Cleganebowl after all, even as a spectator?

(Not that what Thor is filming now is necessarily Cleganebowl, but if he's busy filming stuff that we know is probably from either 8x05 or 8x06, one can make certain assumptions.)

They could have filmed her parts of it already, I suppose.

(edited)

Maybe, but with all the (remaining) fighters on Team Jon/Dany involved in the big KL battle, it would be strange for Gendry to sit it out...unless he dies at whatever goes down at the Dragonpit that was filmed at Seville, I guess. It also seems strange to me to have Jon, Davos and Arya involved in action-packed shenanigans in KL without Gendry, since he has close ties to all three characters by the time S8 rolls around.

And while we're on the subject of Gregor...

It depends on what exactly they're filming and it's rather impossible to deduce since not only they're doing so out of order, but different battles, or different parts of battles, have been filmed in parallel. A production schedule has to integrate so many factors that it has its own logic. 

I see no particular reason for Sansa to be involved in Clegane Bowl. She had no direct dealings with The Mountain and the show downplayed her relationship with the Hound to a minimum.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's hard to assume anything. 

If Sansa is involved it's probably as a spectator, unless we're buying into that (IMO very unlikely) "Sansa kills the Mountain" fan theory, and if she's just a spectator they could've easily filmed her parts already and just need to do the actual fighting, a stand in could probably be used if they want someone with her colouring in background shots.  

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
(edited)

BoatsexBaby

Princess of Ashes

32m

They might work around it by having two or three different House banners waving at different times. Unlike a sigil on the door, a banner is easy to drop and remove. They already covered the dragon mount after Red Priestess posted the pic. They are aware that these pics are going to leak. They'll be prepared IMO

Thursday, June 7th

Edited by Edith
2 minutes ago, whateverdgaf said:

I am just saying, Nik and Gwen have both been filming this past week and this looks a lot like Tarth. Cliffs and lush green fields, beautiful sea....

I really need not to get my hopes up.

Note to self: Forget that Isaac talked about a "too happy" ending. Forget that Isaac talked about a "too happy ending"...

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Note to self: Forget that Isaac talked about a "too happy" ending. Forget that Isaac talked about a "too happy ending"...

I mean....Jaime and Brienne are going to be traumitised even if they do survive. And a bunch of other characters might end up being killed off so maybe....

• Love 1

NCW and Gwen both seem to have injured their knees going off recent pics. They were probably filming big action scenes (Gemma Whelan hurt her back filming Euron’s attack for S7).

(edited)

It looks like people are moving a green screen in those pictures which suggests that whatever they are filming either involves the dragons or the direwolves.

ETA: It just occurred to me that they could be using the green screen to recreate an attack in winter also.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Edith said:

So Peter Dinklage is still filming after all.

In light of the recent sighting of Pilou, Conleth and NCW in Ballycastle, suggesting that Varys and Euron make it to 8x05 or even 8x06, I'm revisiting the words of that HBO executive who described the final script table read and the actors' reactions to their characters dying, one by one.

Judging from filming info, the actors for Euron, Cersei, Gregor, Jaime, and now Varys will be filming for the end of the season. It's also possible that Carice came back to film in Belfast (judging from a recent IG pos). /BoatsexBaby also said that Vlad, who plays the NK, is not done filming, either. I'm wondering if all of the big deaths will be backloaded into the second-last or even possibly the last episode. If 8x06 still has Jaime, Cersei, Euron, Cersei, Gregor, and the NK running around, along with Varys and Melisandre, it seems much more likely that everyone else will make it out of the show intact, doesn't it?

Updated list:

Confirmed or Probably Still Filming: Jon, Dany, Arya, Davos, Gregor, Theon, Euron, Cersei, Tyrion, Varys

Confirmed or Probably Done: Gendry, Gilly, Missandei, Jaime, Sansa, Bran, Yara

No Clue: Grey Worm, Brienne, Sandor, Melisandre

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Confirmed or Probably Still Filming: Jon, Arya, Davos, Gregor, Theon, Euron, Cersei, Tyrion

Confirmed or Probably Done: Gendry, Gilly, Missandei, Jaime, Sansa, Bran, Yara

No Clue: Grey Worm, Brienne, Sandor, Varys, Melisandre

Is Emilia  still filming?

Edited by GraceK