Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

It makes sense that Euron would be alive until the end. Fans like him, and there is a potential for confrontation with Theon and Jaime. Also he is the only character Cersei can actually interact with in interesting way. Before Jon arrives. And the rest of the characters.

I like Qyburn, but he is a "yes-man". Always on Cersei's side. Gregor doesn't speak. And leader of the Golden Company is a new character.

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1

I do hope that Theon back in Winterfell for 8x03 (the battle) means that Emetic Euron is dead. I'm going to resent every second of his ridiculous unfunny histrionics taking screentime away from my faves.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nikma said:

So the Red Keep will become the White Keep?

There was speculation on /Freefolk that the white paint is potential primer and not the final colour. 

If it is the postwar version of the Red Keep and Kit and Emilia are still filming, well, couldn't certain conclusions be drawn from that?

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

So Peter Dinklage is still filming after all.

In light of the recent sighting of Pilou, Conleth and NCW in Ballycastle, suggesting that Varys and Euron make it to 8x05 or even 8x06, I'm revisiting the words of that HBO executive who described the final script table read and the actors' reactions to their characters dying, one by one.

Judging from filming info, the actors for Euron, Cersei, Gregor, Jaime, and now Varys will be filming for the end of the season. It's also possible that Carice came back to film in Belfast (judging from a recent IG pos). /BoatsexBaby also said that Vlad, who plays the NK, is not done filming, either. I'm wondering if all of the big deaths will be backloaded into the second-last or even possibly the last episode. If 8x06 still has Jaime, Cersei, Euron, Cersei, Gregor, and the NK running around, along with Varys and Melisandre, it seems much more likely that everyone else will make it out of the show intact, doesn't it?

IMO, this indicates that the Seville filming was likely not the denouement. The war must climax and end in 8x06 when most of the walking dead characters like Jaime, Euron, Cersei, Gregor, The Hound, etc., meet their end. 

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
17 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

IMO, this indicates that the Seville filming was likely not the denouement. The war must climax and end in 8x06 when most of the walking dead characters like Jaime, Euron, Cersei, Gregor, The Hound, etc., meet their end. 

To me, this suggests that the Seville day scenes are much more likely to be denouement, since Jaime may make it to 8x06 with Brienne, but Brienne is at the Dragonpit along with a number of characters whose actors seem to be sitting out the KL exterior scenes (Gendry, Sansa, Sam, etc.) without him, suggesting he's already dead. Likewise for Gregor making it to 8x06 but Sandor being absent from the Dragonpit despite the Stark girls and Brienne being there, suggesting he's already dead, too.

I don't see why we can't have multiple denouement scenes, either. Jon and Dany can be supervising the repairs to the Red Keep (KL filming) or strolling around a KL pier (Dubrovnik, maybe) while everyone else is waiting for their arrival at the Dragonpit or watching them fly overhead on Drogon or what have you.

I know action scenes take a long time to film and whatnot, but am I the only one thinking that 8x06 is going to be a really long episode?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

To me, this suggests that the Seville day scenes are much more likely to be denouement, since Jaime may make it to 8x06 with Brienne, but Brienne is at the Dragonpit along with a number of characters whose actors seem to be sitting out the KL exterior scenes (Gendry, Sansa, Sam, etc.) without him, suggesting he's already dead. Likewise for Gregor making it to 8x06 but Sandor being absent from the Dragonpit despite the Stark girls and Brienne being there, suggesting he's already dead, too.

I don't see why we can't have multiple denouement scenes, either. Jon and Dany can be supervising the repairs to the Red Keep (KL filming) or strolling around a KL pier (Dubrovnik, maybe) while everyone else is waiting for their arrival at the Dragonpit or watching them fly overhead on Drogon or what have you.

I agree that there are likely multiple denouement scenes with characters in different locations, but I still think that some of those Seville day scenes are a continuation of the battle. I think it is highly unlikely that Brienne will be with Jaime when he confronts Cersei the final time. I would expect Brienne, Arya, and Gendry to be protecting Bran, Varys, Tyrion, and Sansa from being attacked.

As far as we know, both Gregor and The Hound were not in Dragonpit. Weren't they both filming on King's Landing interior set in Belfast? This is why I expect them to be.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
26 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I agree that there are likely multiple denouement scenes with characters in different locations, but I still think that some of those Seville day scenes are a continuation of the battle.

I don't think so, since we know that Arya is in the Seville day scenes, and that Maisie has been filming the KL exterior scenes along with Kit, including the post-KL destruction scenes, nonstop. Ditto for Davos. However, their actors are in the Seville day scenes without Kit, along with actors whose characters have not been involved in the KL exterior scene filming (Gendry, Bran, etc.), meaning that this must take place either before or after all the KL exterior set battle shenanigans, and the evidence suggests that it's after. The characters can't be in two places at once.

As far as we know, both Gregor and The Hound were not in Dragonpit. Weren't they both filming on King's Landing interior set in Belfast?

They would also be absent if both characters are dead by the time the Seville day scenes roll around, which is the more likely explanation in my opinion.

It also now seems much more likely that Sansa's last scene on the show was filmed in Seville, given that the plausible alternative explanations for Sophie's emotional tweet have been debunked: it wasn't Sophie's last day of filming (she has filmed a bit since Seville), and it wasn't any of the other mains' last day of filming (Isaac, Maisie, Kit, etc. all continued to film), either. If true, that would make it very likely that the Seville day scenes were denouement.

Edited by Eyes High
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I don't think so, since we know that Arya is in the Seville day scenes, and that Maisie has been filming the KL exterior scenes along with Kit, including the post-KL destruction scenes, nonstop. Ditto for Davos. However, their actors are in the Seville day scenes without Kit, along with actors whose characters have not been involved in the KL exterior scene filming (Gendry, Bran, etc.), meaning that this must take place either before or after all the KL exterior set battle shenanigans, and the evidence suggests that it's after. The characters can't be in two places at once.

They would also be absent if both characters are dead by the time the Seville day scenes roll around, which is the more likely explanation in my opinion.

It also now seems much more likely that Sansa's last scene on the show was filmed in Seville, given that the plausible alternative explanations for Sophie's emotional tweet have been debunked: it wasn't Sophie's last day of filming (she has filmed a bit since Seville), and it wasn't any of the other mains' last day of filming (Isaac, Maisie, Kit, etc. all continued to film), either. If true, that would make it very likely that the Seville day scenes were denouement.

But they are also filming during the day in Belfast. How are you so certain that the Seville scenes aren't simply exterior scenes to the interior ones being filmed in Belfast? The fact that Cersei and Jaime filmed short scenes in Seville suggests that is exactly what occurred. Same with the presence of Vlad in costume filming as the NK in Seville.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
13 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

But they also filming during the day in Belfast? How are you so certain that the Seville scenes aren't simply exterior scenes to the interior ones being filmed in Belfast?

Because the Dragonpit is far from the parts of KL that are represented by the exterior KL set currently being used for filming for several weeks by Kit, Maisie, and Liam, but Liam and Maisie filmed day scenes in Seville. Arya and Davos are busy doing KL shit with Jon in 8x06--and whatever they're doing, it's taking them several weeks to film--and at some point are also present doing something at the Dragonpit without him (also in 8x06), which took 4 days to film. They occur at different points in time.

The fact that Cersei and Jaime filmed short scenes in Seville suggests that is exactly what occurred. 

Not sure what you mean. Lena didn't film in Seville at all, and NCW didn't film during the day in Seville. He may have filmed night scenes.

Same with the presence of Vlad in costume filming as the NK in Seville.

Vlad filmed out of makeup in Seville, not in costume as the NK.

Edited by Eyes High
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Because the Dragonpit is far from the parts of KL that are represented by the exterior KL set currently being used for filming for several weeks by Kit, Maisie, and Liam, but Liam and Maisie filmed day scenes in Seville. Arya and Davos are busy doing KL shit with Jon and at some point also present doing something at the Dragonpit without him. They occur at different points.

Not sure what you mean. Lena didn't film in Seville, and NCW didn't film during the day in Seville. He may have filmed night scenes.

Vlad filmed out of makeup in Seville, not in costume as the NK.

You might be right about Dragonpit. However, I don't believe your or anyone's else certainty that Lena didn't film in Seville or that any of the actors showed up to just to visit or that anyone know what or when NCW filmed in Seville. I thought that someone claimed that Vlad did, in fact, filmed in costume. Regardless, no one knows for sure what or when he filmed either.

Edited by SimoneS

My query about the dragon pit scenes being denouement are that it seems weird for people to there without Jon and Dany. If JD were there too and it was a wedding or coronation that would make sense, but it’s odd for the Starks, Tyrion and Brienne etc to be there sans Targs.

Even if Jon and Dany died and someone else was in charge, it just seems strange for a non-Targ to be crowned in the dragon pit.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

My query about the dragon pit scenes being denouement are that it seems weird for people to there without Jon and Dany. If JD were there too and it was a wedding or coronation that would make sense, but it’s odd for the Starks, Tyrion and Brienne etc to be there sans Targs.

Even if Jon and Dany died and someone else was in charge, it just seems strange for a non-Targ to be crowned in the dragon pit.

I don't get that either. Why would all these characters go to Dragonpit of all places? Jon and Grey Worm (and the Unsullied) filmed there also which seems very unlikely to be a denouement, IMO. I think that the Seville set might have been used to filmed various different scenes which is why I think that more is going on than a coronation or just the story being wrapped up. It will probably make some sense when we see it on the screen, but right now it just seems odd.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Maybe the Targs are flying above the Dragon Pit and all those people on the ground are waving at them :D 

Hee.

Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy if the last scene of GOT is Jon and Dany proudly presenting their baby to all the assembled surviving characters, who bow to them while "Circle of Life" plays, but that's just me.

Maisie is now in London, meaning she's probably done for the week. Shes also attending the Beyonce concert on Friday night in London.

/tbmeek3 claimed on /Freefolk (via information they supposedly got from mutual friends of Conan) that Kit, Maisie and Sophie would be staying nonstop in Belfast until they finished filming. If true, then that means that Maisie may be finished.

Emilia was spotted in Belfast this week.

So I guess of the mains it's down to Kit, Emilia, Peter, and (I assume) Lena...?  

• Love 2

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Kit got any real breaks (like, longer than 3-4 days) from filming this year? It seems like he’s been filming basically nonstop, not counting the holidays. I realize battle scenes take a ton of time to film, and he’ll be at the center of most of them. It still seems like we’re going to be getting a lot of Jon in S8 (and I won’t complain if that’s the case).

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Leila6 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Kit got any real breaks (like, longer than 3-4 days) from filming this year? It seems like he’s been filming basically nonstop, not counting the holidays. I realize battle scenes take a ton of time to film, and he’ll be at the center of most of them. It still seems like we’re going to be getting a lot of Jon in S8 (and I won’t complain if that’s the case).

Absolutely. We’ll also be getting a lot of Arya, since Maisie has been filming more or less continuously since January.

NCW did an interview saying he enjoyed working with Liam (Davos/Jaime scenes, yay!) and another where when asked about characters he liked answered the Hound and Sansa. He talked a bit about Sansa’s arc and ended by saying that Sansa is no longer trustworthy. Spoiler alert...?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

He talked a bit about Sansa’s arc and ended by saying that Sansa is no longer trustworthy. Spoiler alert...?

I’m shocked and appalled ?

Lol. But in all seriousness that is interesting. What do you think that means?

(edited)
42 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I’m shocked and appalled ?

Lol. But in all seriousness that is interesting. What do you think that means?

Too ambiguous to me:77be5ced-b0c7-4c80-9b17-d061e14e1794.thumb.png.b712aae38e6b2a6162c42a7ff1225445.pngGoogle translated.

Edited by GrailKing
(edited)

NCW, likes Sansa's journey, I think he's hinting she's a schemer, but is it for her family and against house Lannister, or her own gain?

I think Sansa ( my opinion ) is doing things for her house, QOT of the North.

Someone on Reddit who listen said the translation is off a bit:

he's not saying that she's not trustworthy - there's a different word/phrase for that. he's saying that she no longer trusts others (as a result of her past experiences)

Edited by GrailKing
  • Love 9

Another person's take on translation:

More or less he says that he likes her evolution as a character, from an annoying little girl to someone with such a dramatic and dark journey that now has so many scars that had transformed her in someone you can’t trust. It’s not clear in what context he is talking but it’s quite interesting.

• Love 2
(edited)

And another:

basically the actual translation is that Sansa is no longer somebody who can be played, that she's not someone who (naively) trusts others.

I wished GT could be better. : /

Edited by GrailKing
  • Love 1

I hope that he means Sansa doesn’t trust easily not that she’s untrustworthy. Even though she’s not one of my favorites, I still want her to have a happy ending and be worthy of it. I personally don’t think she’ll turn dark in season 8. I think they explored dark Sansa the last few seasons but her killing Littlefinger (who played to her dark side and provided temptation) put an end to that. I’m hoping they also did away with mad Dany with her turning north, and Jon saying she’s worthy of being queen and falling in love with her but I’m much less certain in her case. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, glowbug said:

I hope that he means Sansa doesn’t trust easily not that she’s untrustworthy. Even though she’s not one of my favorites, I still want her to have a happy ending and be worthy of it. I personally don’t think she’ll turn dark in season 8. I think they explored dark Sansa the last few seasons but her killing Littlefinger (who played to her dark side and provided temptation) put an end to that. I’m hoping they also did away with mad Dany with her turning north, and Jon saying she’s worthy of being queen and falling in love with her but I’m much less certain in her case. 

I'm a believer in Sansa, though I think she will realistically will have to go darker gray than the show version; she's much younger then TV Sansa, so though she fights LF in her mind; that mind is younger. 

(edited)

The phrase is “persona de confiar,” which means a “trustworthy person,” so yes, NCW is saying that Sansa is no longer a trustworthy person. Very interesting.

...To be fair, Sansa has never been a particularly trustworthy person.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Eyes High said:

The phrase is “persona de confiar,” which means a “trustworthy person,” so yes, NCW is saying that Sansa is no longer a trustworthy person. Very interesting.

I agree, but as @glowbug said I thought the WF storyline last year was the conclusion of that part of her arc and she finally dropped her self-serving ambitions.

If Sansa was going to plot behind Jon/Dany's back or something after that, it would come as a big surprise and I don't think NCW would be allowed to spoil it.

8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Where did you find that interview with NCW calling season 8 Sansa untrustworthy? During season seven, NCW was didn't seem to be impressed by Dany.  How he interprets characters differs from how the show wants you to interpret their actions, alot. 

• Love 1

Interesting that NCW calling Sansa untrustworthy is noteworthy but him calling Daenerys cruel and mad isn't, and that the latter should be dismissed because he clearly didn't interpret her character and actions properly, but he's completely spot on in his assessment where the former is concerned. Very interesting. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, merrick715 said:

Where did you find that interview with NCW calling season 8 Sansa untrustworthy? During season seven, NCW was didn't seem to be impressed by Dany.  How he interprets characters differs from how the show wants you to interpret their actions, alot. 

I put it ^^^^^^^ upthread as a png. there seems to be some differences on if NCW is saying Sansa isn't trustworthy, or the doesn't easily trust people.

http://www.wradio.com.co/amp/nota.aspx?id=3760926&__twitter_impression=true

(edited)
5 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I agree, but as @glowbug said I thought the WF storyline last year was the conclusion of that part of her arc and she finally dropped her self-serving ambitions.

If Sansa was going to plot behind Jon/Dany's back or something after that, it would come as a big surprise and I don't think NCW would be allowed to spoil it.

I guess we'll see.

It could just be that NCW is making an observation based on Sansa's established history of fucking people over who trust her. If S7 was supposed to resolve doubts about Sansa's character, though, and NCW still thinks that Sansa is an untrustworthy person, what does that tell you?

Edited by Eyes High
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I guess we'll see.

It could just be that NCW is making an observation based on Sansa's established history of fucking people over who trust her. If S7 was supposed to resolve doubts about Sansa's character, though, and NCW still thinks that Sansa is an untrustworthy person, what does that tell you?

You don't like her, we get it. But I believe your terms are off the mark.

plus: this  yellow bar VVVVVVVVV

Edited by GrailKing
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I don't usually comment here, but this is not quite correct. "Trustworthy," in Spanish, is "confiable." A "trustworthy person" would be translated "persona confiable." "Confiar" means "to trust." "Persona de confiar" literally means "person that trusts." I have no strong opinions on Sansa or what she'll end up doing this season (my expectation is she'll be marginal to the main action entirely) but reading some kind of hint of untrustworthiness into this quote is a real stretch IMO, based purely on the words used.

• Love 5
(edited)
31 minutes ago, nikma said:

White Keep for new Targ rulers?

Yassssss. Jon/Dany Iron Throne endgame!!!! 

23 minutes ago, DeccaMitford said:

I don't usually comment here, but this is not quite correct. "Trustworthy," in Spanish, is "confiable." A "trustworthy person" would be translated "persona confiable." "Confiar" means "to trust." "Persona de confiar" literally means "person that trusts." I have no strong opinions on Sansa or what she'll end up doing this season (my expectation is she'll be marginal to the main action entirely) but reading some kind of hint of untrustworthiness into this quote is a real stretch IMO, based purely on the words used.

Well, no. As you will see.

And from a native Spanish speaker at /Freefolk:

I’m a spanish native speaker, and I would love to hear Nikolaj saying the sentence to get this right. Because it’s possible that the journalist translated what he was saying badly. but at least in the spanish used in Spain that last sentence normally can be translated as that you can’t trust Sansa...

it’s written: y ya no es una persona de confiar ( that structure in spanish could mean untrustworthy) if it was intended to say that she she is now unable to trust in the others the structure would had been more complete: Sansa ya no es una persona confiada or Sansa ya no es de confiar en nadie, or Sansa ya no confía en los demás.

Edited by Eyes High
40 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

And from a native Spanish speaker at /Freefolk:

Spanish speaker here and I don't agree with this translation.

52 minutes ago, DeccaMitford said:

I don't usually comment here, but this is not quite correct. "Trustworthy," in Spanish, is "confiable." A "trustworthy person" would be translated "persona confiable." "Confiar" means "to trust." "Persona de confiar" literally means "person that trusts." 

Agree completely. 

• Love 4

Spanish speaker here, born in Venezuela to Spanish parents.  The distinction is important because Spanish is not the same in every country (much like English is not the same in Australia, UK, and USA). I lived in South America until I was 18, then moved to the US, then lived in a few different countries, including Spain (for almost three years).

The thing with Spanish is that verb conjugation is different for every person in every tense, and then you have the infinitive, which might change meaning depending on sentence structure.  Then you have phrases and sayings that are particular of a specific culture.

The phrase "persona de confiar" is mostly used in Spain, although generally, they would say "persona de fiar", which is basically the same, but the second one is more widely used.  This a colloquial term, thus translating it requires understanding of its use in the country and culture. Literally translated it would be "person of trust", but, translating it for meaning and use, it would be "person you can trust".  An efficient translator would just use the word trustworthy when translating the phrase to English and say "a trustworthy person".

That said, I still think we need to take anything the actors say with two metric tons of salt.  Perhaps Jaime finds a cold, suspicious Sansa when he makes his way North to join the fight against the WW, which would be in tune with Sansa's arc so far on the show.  Perhaps Sansa reveals to the group something they don't know about Jaime.  Perhaps NWC is talking about something else.  Perhaps he decided to pull our leg, seeing as how other actors (see Lena and her Stoneheart tweet) have so much fun doing it.

He thinks Dany is on the path to become a Mad Queen and that Sansa is not trustworthy, personally, I don't see any of these outcomes for those two characters.  Yes, the show likes to tease the "Dany is a mad, mad, pyromaniac" and the "Sansa is now Littlefinger 2.0 - don't trust her!" storylines, but they never fully commit to either.  And, as a book reader, none of those stories seem to be ones being built into the narrative.  Examples: 

• Dany is quite sensitive to the plight of enslaved women and children, so much so, that when Drogon was accused of roasting a child she went and locked all her babies up. She shows empathy, she regrets some of the more harsh punishments she has dished out, she shows remorse, she compromises.
  • Sansa is constantly wishing and dreaming about Winterfell.  She wants to go back there, she misses her brothers and sisters, she thinks about naming a future baby she might have Arya.  She is still a bit too naive for my liking in the books, and LF does seem to still be pulling her strings, but the groundwork has been laid for her to smarten up, take down LF and go back North where she feels she belongs
  • Love 9
(edited)
13 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

That said, I still think we need to take anything the actors say with two metric tons of salt. 

Fair enough, and I appreciate your take. Ultimately, NCW isn't the one writing the show or the books, after all, so the only reason we should care about what he thinks of Sansa is whether he knows something about her S8 arc that is informing his opinion of her as untrustworthy. And, to be entirely fair, as has been pointed out by other posters, if he did know something, would he be careless enough to give it away? And also, to be fair, one doesn't need inside dirt on S8 to deem Sansa untrustworthy; one just needs to watch the seven preceding seasons to come to that conclusion.

With all that said, any statements by actors who know the contents of S8 are going to be parsed carefully for hidden meaning, so NCW straight up calling Sansa untrustworthy is worthy of attention.

Perhaps Jaime finds a cold, suspicious Sansa when he makes his way North to join the fight against the WW, which would be in tune with Sansa's arc so far on the show. Perhaps Sansa reveals to the group something they don't know about Jaime.  Perhaps NWC is talking about something else.  Perhaps he decided to pull our leg, seeing as how other actors (see Lena and her Stoneheart tweet) have so much fun doing it.

Quite possibly. Maybe Sansa smiles to Jaime's face when he arrives at Winterfell while quietly petitioning Jon for Jaime's execution, or something like that (...although could anyone really blame her for thinking Jaime was more trouble than he was worth?).

He thinks Dany is on the path to become a Mad Queen and that Sansa is not trustworthy, personally, I don't see any of these outcomes for those two characters.

If the Red Keep being repainted white with Emilia and Kit continuing to film means what I think it means then yes, all this tyrant talk about Dany is going to come to nothing...which makes me wonder why D&D would bother with the Tarly business in the first place, but that probably belongs in another thread.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

Spanish speaker here, born in Venezuela to Spanish parents.  The distinction is important because Spanish is not the same in every country (much like English is not the same in Australia, UK, and USA). I lived in South America until I was 18, then moved to the US, then lived in a few different countries, including Spain (for almost three years).

The thing with Spanish is that verb conjugation is different for every person in every tense, and then you have the infinitive, which might change meaning depending on sentence structure.  Then you have phrases and sayings that are particular of a specific culture.

This is how I think;

I don't speak Spanish;  American English, from New England and I can go from Maine to California and some words or phrases can mean translate slightly  but generally be the same idea.

I know English changes slightly between States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia; etc. Then go to non speaking English countries and translation changes.

Do we know if the translator took a short cut meaning?

11 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

one just needs to watch the seven preceding seasons to come to that conclusion.

So someone who spent 6 years being beaten, raped, and sold is deemed untrustworthy but not; instead maybe overly cautious?

I think you have 1 track thinking. Season 1 ended and with it so did a naive girl, at worst I see QOT in the North, who remembers what she and her siblings went through and will be pragmatic enough to prevent it in the future.

Like the Starks of old.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Do we know if the translator took a short cut meaning?

We don't. He was interviewed in Colombia, I don't think he speaks Spanish, and Danish is not a widespread language, so, I figure they asked NCW the questions in English and he answered in the same language.  The reporter or the radio company for which the reporter works, then translated his answers to Spanish, and we are now trying to translate that back to English.  So, meaning might have been lost along the way.

That said, I was a partner in a firm with offices in Bogota (the capital of Colombia) and I went there several times for projects, or took staff from the Bogota office to work in projects across LATAM.  I can tell you that Colombians like to be very precise when they translate and are perhaps the LATAM nation whose Spanish most closely resembles the one from Spain. So, it's very likely that the radio station's original translation was on point for meaning.

Personally, I think it is.  NCW is saying you can't trust Sansa because she has become a different person from the starry-eyed girl, who only wanted to marry Joffrey and live in a fairy tale, we met in Season 1.  The show itself has posited this theory to viewers all last season, when they had Sansa questioning Jon and wanted to make us believe that Sansa and Arya would kill each other.  So, his comments come as no surprise.  Perhaps he is just expressing an opinion in line with what the show tried to present last season, since in the course of the same interview, he refuses to be more specific in one of his answers because he doesn't want to give out spoilers.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, GrailKing said:

NCW, likes Sansa's journey, I think he's hinting she's a schemer, but is it for her family and against house Lannister, or her own gain?

I think Sansa ( my opinion ) is doing things for her house, QOT of the North.

Someone on Reddit who listen said the translation is off a bit:

he's not saying that she's not trustworthy - there's a different word/phrase for that. he's saying that she no longer trusts others (as a result of her past experiences)

He's also comparing Sansa's character arc with Sandor's in the translation you posted, and considering it's pretty clear that Sandor's arc is one of redemption and there's no way they'll have him turn dark side in the next season, one could also speculate that in terms of development, Sansa reached her final developmental phase last season and that there won't be any plot twist where she turns traitor. That ship sailed when she refused the Northerners' offer to become Queen in the North. He's also positing Sandor's arc as well-written and one he likes before he follows it up with mentioning Sansa's character development and arc, so one would assume he likes her/it as well.

30 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

I don't speak Spanish;  American English, from New England and I can go from Maine to California and some words or phrases can mean translate slightly  but generally be the same idea.

Sure, but there are colloquial phrases and expressions that you only understand if you know the culture.  If you see a meme with the phrase "Where's the beef?" and you are an American, you probably know what that relates to.  A person who has never lived in the US and doesn't know about the original advertising campaign that made the expression popular, would translate that as "Dónde está la carne?".  The translation would be correct, but the joke itself would not translate well.

Or, you can try to ask Google translator to translate "My eyebrows are on flick" to Spanish and see what you get. I bet the results are funny.  There's an expression in Venezuela "Vamos a hacer una vaca", which Googe translator correctly translates as "Let's make a cow".  What it means, in Venezuela, is "lets all contribute some money (for a specific purpose, generally for a party or to buy a present for someone else)".  A US person would wonder why you want to make a cow and maybe what materials you would use for it.  A Brit might think you're talking about a trip to the bathroom for number 2.

Here's the full sentence in Spanish from the original article linked above: "Era tan molesta al inicio, o podías creer que no viera toda la locura y que sólo quería estar con este horrible personaje que es Joffrey, pero ha tenido este viaje tan oscuro y dramático y claramente quedó con cicatrices y ya no es una persona de confiar"

The translation I would do is: "She was so annoying at first, or you could believe that she really didn't see all the craziness and that she only wanted to be with this horrible character that was Joffrey, but she has had this dark and dramatic journey and she was clearly left with scars, and she is no longer a person you can trust".

In my opinion, he is touting the company line from last season and is not implying Sansa will betray anybody.  I think he is making the point that in Season 1 you could tell Sansa "come with me to see the Queen, she will protect you" and Sansa would believe it, but if you were to say that to Sansa now, she would send Brienne in her stead because she doesn't trust you anymore, and perhaps she would give Brienne instructions to kill the Queen, if there was an opportunity to do so,

• Love 3
(edited)
45 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Persona de confiar = person you can trust

Persona confiada = a gullible, naive person

Persona que confía = a person who trusts (another)

Persona desconfiada = a person who doesn't trust others

If the intended meaning is that Sansa is now a person who doesn't trust other people, then in this sentence: 

"Era tan molesta al inicio, o podías creer que no viera toda la locura y que sólo quería estar con este horrible personaje que es Joffrey, pero ha tenido este viaje tan oscuro y dramático y claramente quedó con cicatrices y ya no es una persona de confiar"

the bolded part would read: "y ya no es una persona confiada" or "y ya no es una persona que confía (en otros)" or "y ahora es una persona desconfiada"

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

Persona de confiar = person you can trust

Persona confiada = a gullible, naive person

Persona que confía = a person who trusts (another)

Persona desconfiada = a person who doesn't trust others

LOL; If we are having problems with this, I can just imagine what's going on in Washington, Canada,Germany, Britain, France, Australia, Japan, So.Korea. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Possible info about "rumours" from /BoatsexBaby (usual caveats re: grain of salt, bold mine):

Agreed. And just like Emilia, [Vlad] will be filming scenes in the studio on the dragon mount for parts of the battle, so his presence/absence on KL sets this week is not indicative of anything. I am fairly certain that he has as much filming left as Emilia does for that rumored sequence in Episode 6 which is going to get D&D their Emmy, haha.

When asked whether this meant a NK vs. Dany dragons battle:

Rumors flying that it is going to be the highlight of the last episode and unlike anything that has been seen before. But there is no confirmation.

Dragonrider vs. dragonrider battle! I don't want to be all /Freefolk but I'm over here going "HYPE HYPE HYPE."

...If it's a Night King-mounted Viserion vs. a Dany-mounted Drogon, does this mean that Rhaegal is dead?

...Wait, is Dany pregnant when this is happening? Because if so, badass.

Can't blame D&D for going for a directing Emmy, but if I don't get some kind of denouement other than some two-minute "Jon and Dany sit down on matching thrones and smile adoringly at each other" nonsense, I'm going to be very upset.

I've been thinking about the descriptions of S8 by cast as "satisfying," and in light of all the villains whose actors still seem to be filming for 8x06, I'm reminded of another finale for a show a lot of fans called satisfying. There were a lot of deaths (mostly of unsympathetic characters, although there had been some horrible deaths of sympathetic characters in preceding episodes), and even the main character died, but it still on initial viewing left a very satisfying feeling. (On rewatch, it seemed less satisfying per se and more like fanservice, but that's another issue.) Maybe something similar will happen in 8x06: a ton of villain deaths and maybe one or two big deaths on Team Jon/Dany that nevertheless feel right (the dragons?).

It seems more likely based on filming information that all the big deaths--villains, heroes, dragons, whatever--will be backloaded, maybe so the audience can feel that sufficient blood was shed and that the core characters surviving isn't "Disneyesque." I also suspect a "cull" in that big battle in 8x03, although the deaths will probably be relatively minor characters (Pod, Tormund, etc.).

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

f it's a Night King-mounted Viserion vs. a Dany-mounted Drogon, does this mean that Rhaegal is dead?

...Wait, is Dany pregnant when this is happening? Because if so, badass.

Omg can you imagine Dany vs NK on dragon battle? I will DIE!! Too glorious for words. 

• Love 5