Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Quite possibly. Maybe Sansa smiles to Jaime's face when he arrives at Winterfell while quietly petitioning Jon for Jaime's execution, or something like that (...although could anyone really blame her for thinking Jaime was more trouble than he was worth?).

I'm really curious about Arya's reaction to Jaime. She observed him at the fest with Walder Frey and seemingly she passed a sentence or he passed her test, since she didn't kill him. I can imagine Bran dropping the bomb about the window stuff...Of course, filming spoilers say she won't go Winter on him, but I'm really curious to see how she's going to stomach this one. I'd love it if there was a scene with Brienne defending Jaime, maybe explain privately to Arya how he saved her. A woman can dream.

Maybe they're going to pull a "meeting at Eastwatch" and have Sam and Dany decide to let bygones be bygones because of the AoTD re: The Tarlys and Jaime. Dany knows the truth, but will it be enough for her to accept Jaime? I can imagine Jaime reaching WF just after Dany and Sam settled things, and Sam say to Dany "We just decided to pardon those who killed members of our family". Throwback!

I want to see Jon fly a dragon but if Dany doesn't dragon-fight the NK I'm going to be disappointed, too.

(edited)
2 hours ago, GraceK said:

Omg can you imagine Dany vs NK on dragon battle? I will DIE!! Too glorious for words. 

Yassss. I need this is in my life.

...Hard to believe it won't be Jon who finishes off the NK, though. Maybe Dany on Drogon brings the dragon down and Jon finishes the NK off in a sword fight?

37 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I'm really curious about Arya's reaction to Jaime. She observed him at the fest with Walder Frey and seemingly she passed a sentence or he passed her test, since she didn't kill him. I can imagine Bran dropping the bomb about the window stuff...Of course, filming spoilers say she won't go Winter on him, but I'm really curious to see how she's going to stomach this one. I'd love it if there was a scene with Brienne defending Jaime, maybe explain privately to Arya how he saved her. A woman can dream.

Maybe they're going to pull a "meeting at Eastwatch" and have Sam and Dany decide to let bygones be bygones because of the AoTD re: The Tarlys and Jaime.

Probably. How could there not be drama? You could probably get a whole episode's worth of drama out of the effect of each of the following revelations:

1. Jon is not Ned's son.

2. Jon is a trueborn Targaryen who is the heir to the Iron Throne.

3. Jon is Dany's nephew. 

4. Jon pledged his allegiance to Dany and ceded the North's independence without consulting anyone in the North. (Sansa knows this, but it's not clear whether she has communicated this to the Northern lords, and from what we've seen they are not going to take this well.)

5. Jon and Dany are lovers.

6. Cersei reneged on the agreement that Tyrion had negotiated.

7. Jaime, who up until this point has been Cersei's loyal military commander, wants to defect.

8. The Wall has fallen and the NK now has his own dragon.

9. Dany executed the Tarlys by dragonfire.

10. Jaime is responsible for Bran being crippled. 

I mean, they may not even get to 10, but I'm pretty certain the first episode in Season 8 is going to have to cover items 1 through 9 on that list, not to mention all the important reunions (Jon/Arya, Jon/Bran, Jon/Sam, Gendry/Arya, Jaime/Brienne, etc.), momentous meetings (Dany/Starklings, dragons/Starklings, etc.), and miscellaneous (I don't know what's going to happen with Sansa and Tyrion, but I think it's a safe bet that there will be drama). I just don't think there's any time to give each issue--and I think Jon not being Ned's son, Jon being a trueborn Targ, and Jon being related to Dany are really three separate issues--the time it deserves for a full, thoughtful airing-out.

So yeah, I think the writers are going to "Eastwatch" this shit. I expect there's going to be someone who essentially tells everyone who's freaking out to STFU and get over themselves because there's no time for this bullshit. Bran, probably, since most of the other main characters are going to have a lot of feelings about the  items on that list.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

So yeah, I think the writers are going to "Eastwatch" this shit. I expect there's going to be someone who essentially tells everyone who's freaking out to STFU and get over themselves because there's no time for this bullshit. Bran, probably, since most of the other main characters are going to have a lot of feelings about the  items on that list.

I agree, but I think they're going to keep the Jon/Targ thing for episode 2. It's arguably the crux of the story and the battle in WF starts in 8x03 IIRC. They might have the full roster of people closest to Jon (Arya, Davos, Sam) giving him the sensible pep talk, Theon returning the favor re: identity crisis if he's back, and Dany sealing the deal.

As for the Northern lords, I kind of wait with infinite glee for a couple of them to protest against Jon, and their bladders to losen the following second courtesy of Arya throwing daggers, not with her eyes.

6 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

As for the Northern lords, I kind of wait with infinite glee for a couple of them to protest against Jon, and their bladders to losen the following second courtesy of Arya throwing daggers, not with her eyes.

My fan service dream is the Northern lords bitching at Jon and Rhaegal roaring in their faces cause that’s his dragon ???? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Happy Harpy said:

Maybe they're going to pull a "meeting at Eastwatch" and have Sam and Dany decide to let bygones be bygones because of the AoTD re: The Tarlys and Jaime. Dany knows the truth, but will it be enough for her to accept Jaime? I can imagine Jaime reaching WF just after Dany and Sam settled things, and Sam say to Dany "We just decided to pardon those who killed members of our family". Throwback!

I expect that people's reactions to Jaime, if they even learn some of that stuff, will mostly be muted, and probably covered by, say, having Brienne angrily support his presence there.  Though admittedly, once Jaime brings word of Cersei's planned betrayal, that's a not-inconsiderable mark in his favour.

You would think that Jaime and Bran would get some notable moment, though I'm not sure how much that could really work at this point given that Bran himself doesn't seem to care.

However, I doubt they're going to just breeze past the Tarly stuff, mainly because the previous season seemed to be deliberately teasing Jon and Sam finding out about it at some later, presumably inopportune moment.

• Love 1

I kind of hope someone kills Glover lol. Like either Ghost rips his throat out or one of the dragons burns him. You just know he’s going to call Dany a foreign whore, bitch about Jon bending the knee, be outraged that Jon’s a secret Targ, and just generally act like a douche.

I want to see 9 months pregnant Dany having a dragon battle with the NK, and then for maximum drama she can start going into labor in the middle of it heh.

• Love 4
(edited)

I want to see Dany and the Night King battle on dragons, but since they've been hyping Jon vs. the Night King for the last few seasons it would feel unsatisfying if the ultimate showdown isn't between Jon and the Night King unless Jon dies when they face off, which I don't want to happen. I like the idea of Dany being the one to take down Viserion, though. The emotional impact would be greatest for her, and it seems fitting that the one who created him should be the one to destroy him and bring him peace. I could see the writers having both Drogon and Viseryon die in that battle. It's hard to know what's happening with the dragons since so much of their portion is filmed inside, but I'm getting the impression that Rhaegal dies before the final battle. Maybe he's one of the casualties of the Winterfell battle. I just hope we get to see Jon ride him at least once before the series ends.

Edited by glowbug
Because I can never remember how to spell GRRM's fantasy names.
4 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

I want to see 9 months pregnant Dany having a dragon battle with the NK, and then for maximum drama she can start going into labor in the middle of it heh.

That would be a good way to lose the child, presumably? In such circumstances, the battle is unlikely to end well for Dany as she has two lives to care about while not being in tiptop shape.

4 minutes ago, glowbug said:

I want to see Dany and the Night King battle on dragons, but since they've been hyping Jon vs. the Night King for the last few seasons it would feel unsatisfying if the ultimate showdown isn't between Jon and the Night King unless Jon dies when they face off, which I don't want to happen. I like the idea of Dany being the one to take down Viseryon, though. The emotional impact would be greatest for her, and it seems fitting that the one who created him should be the one to destroy him and bring him peace. I could see the writers having both Drogon and Viseryon die in that battle. It's hard to know what's happening with the dragons since so much of their portion is filmed inside, but I'm getting the impression that Rhaegal dies before the final battle. Maybe he's one of the casualties of the Winterfell battle. I just hope we get to see Jon ride him at least once before the series ends.

Dany taking care of Viserion, and Jon either fighting the NK on foot at the same time (or after Viserion goes down, in that case probably taking Drogon with him because otherwise Drogon would likely be able to finish the NK off easily without assistance of a swordfighter) seems a pretty likely outcome. And almost certainly the NK would go down in such a scenario, whether or not Dany and/or Jon and/or a possible unborn child survive (and Drogon and potentially Rhaegal, too) remains to be seen.

7 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Persona de confiar = person you can trust

Persona confiada = a gullible, naive person

Persona que confía = a person who trusts (another)

Persona desconfiada = a person who doesn't trust others

If the intended meaning is that Sansa is now a person who doesn't trust other people, then in this sentence: 

"Era tan molesta al inicio, o podías creer que no viera toda la locura y que sólo quería estar con este horrible personaje que es Joffrey, pero ha tenido este viaje tan oscuro y dramático y claramente quedó con cicatrices y ya no es una persona de confiar"

the bolded part would read: "y ya no es una persona confiada" or "y ya no es una persona que confía (en otros)" or "y ahora es una persona desconfiada"

I've seen "person you can trust" usually translated as "persona de confianza" or "persona confiable" or "persona en quien confiar", not "persona de confiar." If you put "person you can trust" into Google Translator you get "persona en quien puedes confiar", which is not what NCW said. OTOH, if you put "persona de confiar" in Google translator, you get 'person to trust,' which is pretty ambivalent. NCW may simply be saying that Sansa is no longer a person to trust in others. 

Besides, he said she started out as an awful character, but then had this dark journey...so it seems to me logical that the rest of his sentence is about how the character has changed for the better. I don't think it's a prediction of Sansa turning to the dark side  in the last episodes.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, screamin said:

I've seen "person you can trust" usually translated as "persona de confianza" or "persona confiable" or "persona en quien confiar", not "persona de confiar." If you put "person you can trust" into Google Translator you get "persona en quien puedes confiar", which is not what NCW said. OTOH, if you put "persona de confiar" in Google translator, you get 'person to trust,' which is pretty ambivalent. NCW may simply be saying that Sansa is no longer a person to trust in others. 

Besides, he said she started out as an awful character, but then had this dark journey...so it seems to me logical that the rest of his sentence is about how the character has changed for the better. I don't think it's a prediction of Sansa turning to the dark side  in the last episodes.

"De" is one of those prepositions that has many meanings in Spanish and when translated to English, its placement is important.  Take a look here at all the possible translations for the preposition.  It's also a conjugation of the verb "dar" (to give), so you will see the entries for the verb after the entries for the preposition.  If you scroll down past that, you will see the compound forms of the preposition and the verb, and you will be able to appreciate how it takes on dozens of meanings depending on use.

"Person to trust" is basically a "person in whom to trust" not a person who trusts others.  Any translator worth his salt would not leave the meaning ambiguous.  In conversational English, you wouldn't say "Jack is not a person to trust in other people", you would say "Jack is not a person who trusts other people".  If your meaning is that the person does not trust others, you would never say "Jack is not a person to trust" because that sentence means Jack is a person whom you can't trust.

In Spanish, if you want to say that Sansa is no longer a person who trusts others, you would say "Sansa ya no es una persona confiada" (Google translates this as "confident person", which is an alternative meaning, but if you go here, you will see it's not the only one and that when used with the word "person" it means "trusting", "gullible" or "naive") or "Sansa es una persona desconfiada", or "Sansa ya no es una persona que confíe en otros"; you would never say "Sansa ya no es una persona de confiar en otros" (that would be grammatically incorrect in Spanish)

Also, in English, one wouldn't say "Sansa is no longer a person to trust in others", one would say "Sansa is a person who doesn't trust others anymore". Both are grammatically correct, but the second option would be more commonly used in a regular conversation. 

In Spanish, "Persona de confiar" and "Persona de fiar" are synonyms (see this Spanish Synonyms dictionary), if you plug "persona de fiar" in Google translate, you would get "legit person".  So, the intended meaning of the original sentence in the article "[Sansa] ya no es una persona de confiar" is "Sansa is no longer a legit person".  

In the text in Spanish, NCW was saying this in the context of character journeys he likes.  His answer starts with "Todos los personajes han tenido grandes travesías y ninguno de ellos son una cosa o la otra.", which translates to "All characters have had great journeys and none are one thing or the other" which basically means he doesn't see characters as all good or all bad.  He likes the Hound's redemption journey, but says the Hound is still a ruthless, horrible killer, only now he is being a ruthless, horrible killer for the right cause.  Then he talks about Sansa being naive or in denial at the beginning of the series wanting to be with Joffrey and now being a person you can't trust because she has been on a dark and dramatic journey.  In a nutshell, he is saying that all characters have flaws.

In any case, unless we hear his original words in English, we really can't know what he meant, as the person who translated that into Spanish for the article might have made a mistake, but I can assure you (as a person who took a 2 year sabbatical to teach English to Spanish speakers, all of whom passed their certification exams), that the translation of the Spanish text means, without a doubt, that Sansa is not a person you can trust.  Whether that was what NCW intended to say is another matter, as we don't have his original English quote.

The meaning is not ambiguous in Spanish, at all. I think many people who like Sansa are trying to spin the words so that they don't mean what they do. Just as many people who like Dany also try to spin any comment that may appear to be negative toward the character into something positive. Just as many fans of other characters do.  I suppose that's natural.

Personally, I like all the Starks (including Jon, who is my favorite), Dany, Davos, Brienne and Tyrion to varying degrees. I am indifferent to most all other characters, and I really hate show Cersei, show Ramsey, and show/book Euron.  So, I have no agenda against Sansa, neither am I a Sansa hater. But I have to say that the endless discussions about her do grate.  Some objectivity from both sides of the Sansa debate would be highly welcomed (JMMV, though probably no one cares LOL!). 

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

I was just thinking that we've had no mention of direwolves anywhere in SpoilerLand.  That makes me sad.

S8 is going to be ALL.DRAGONS.ALL.THE.TIME! (and zombies...)

Sigh! :( 

I was thinking the same thing @WearyTraveler. There was one filming spoiler about Arya filming with the dogs that play the dire wolves but that’s it. I like the dragons but I also love the dire wolves and think they will be important to the book plot. I wonder where Ghost is during all of these battles. I hope Arya filming in Canada with the dogs means that we will see Nymeria again. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It seems that both D&D and Miguel are doing action scenes for KL. So it feels like KL battle will be in both E5 and E6.  Maybe there are two battles after all? Miguel will direct humans vs humans battle for E5 and D&D will do WW vs humans battle in E6?

My point is, if that is all just one big battle it makes no sense that it won't be done by just one director. I don't see Miguel doing just part 1 of KL's battle. If one battle is done by two directors it can feel disjointed. So there has to be some kind of "thematic" division there. And if  we have informations that there will be NK's action in E6, it feels that Cersei need to be defeated in E5. 

The fact that Cersei could be defeated doesn't mean that she will die in that episode. Maybe her enemies could think that she is dead, but she will actually be hiding somewhere ready to use wildfire against both WW and humans. Without army and any sort of power Cersei would feel like Hitler in his last days. 

I think E6 will be the longest episode in the show's history, so I'm not afraid there won't be enough time for epilogue. I expect at least 90 minutes episode. 40-45 minutes of action scenes is more than enough to end the WW. And then there will be 45-50 minutes of the epilogue. Also more than enough. 

D&D want Emmy for both writing and directing of that last episode. LOL

Edited by nikma
2 hours ago, nikma said:

It seems that both D&D and Miguel are doing action scenes for KL. So it feels like KL battle will be in both E5 and E6.  Maybe there are two battles after all? Miguel will direct humans vs humans battle for E5 and D&D will do WW vs humans battle in E6?

My point is, if that is all just one big battle it makes no sense that it won't be done by just one director. I don't see Miguel doing just part 1 of KL's battle. If one battle is done by two directors it can feel disjointed. So there has to be some kind of "thematic" division there. And if  we have informations that there will be NK's action in E6, it feels that Cersei need to be defeated in E5. 

The fact that Cersei could be defeated doesn't mean that she will die in that episode. Maybe her enemies could think that she is dead, but she will actually be hiding somewhere ready to use wildfire against both WW and humans. Without army and any sort of power Cersei would feel like Hitler in his last days.

I think there will be a battle at the walls + some infiltration of KL in 8x05, and an air/dragon battle while the infiltrated group deals with Cersei/The Mountain in 8x06.

39 minutes ago, nikma said:

I'm not sure that I understand what you are suggesting.

I mean there might be a battle spreading over two episodes, but including different phases that can easily be filmed independently by different directors.

Yeah, but I think those phases won't be just locations, they have to be story phases  IMO.

It's like battle at the Wall. E9 was NW vs free folk and then in E10 Stannis vs free folk. It was one battle, but two phases. 

My point is, they will give a complete story for Miguel to work with, It will have beginning, middle and end in some way. 

29 minutes ago, nikma said:

Yeah, but I think those phases won't be just locations, they have to be story phases  IMO.

I wasn't only talking about locations, re: dragon battle vs getting rid of Cersei.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, nikma said:

I think E6 will be the longest episode in the show's history, so I'm not afraid there won't be enough time for epilogue. I expect at least 90 minutes episode. 40-45 minutes of action scenes is more than enough to end the WW. And then there will be 45-50 minutes of the epilogue. Also more than enough. 

D&D want Emmy for both writing and directing of that last episode. LOL

I remember someone high up on the ladder saying that it's going to be 6 one hour movies.

(edited)

Via an Alfie fan at /Freefolk: Alfie Allen has been filming another project this week in Prague, so he's probably done.

One wonders if they're still preparing the "White Keep" set, and if the actors playing the Stark siblings are done, Kit's nearly finished filming and if Emilia only has dragon scenes left to film, who the heck will be filming on that set? 

Edited by Eyes High

Just found on reedit: 

twypv5mim6411.jpg

12 minutes ago, nikma said:

WOTW is completely useless this year lol. Old news, nothing exclusive.

Yes; either they know no more then we do, or they do and keeping their mouths shut.

I told them there are more pics with gray and white banners, they don't show.

here's another:

cue5p1fway311.jpg

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Liam told a reporter yesterday that he’s “very, very close” to finishing filming.

If he isn't Hand of the King/Queen/Queeing, I want Davos to be the first Master of Justice in Westeros.

27 minutes ago, Cujoy said:

Kit's wedding is a little more than a week away.  Wasn't he supposed to be finished by then?

It would be logical that he'd chosen the date once he was finished working. Although I don't know when Rose Leslie films for The Good Fight so maybe it was a factor.

8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Liam told a reporter yesterday that he’s “very, very close” to finishing filming.

Sophie’s back in Belfast, if Twitter is to be believed.

Yeah, some salt please, at least 2 said she was still down under.

8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Sophie’s back in Belfast, if Twitter is to be believed.

Sophie's in Australia with her bf. I think she's done filming - most likely Seville was her last scene.

As per ff, Emilia and Kit are in Belfast.

(edited)
13 hours ago, GrailKing said:

Yeah, some salt please, at least 2 said she was still down under.

Seems likely that Sophie is done (the wolf tattoo). Sansa was snapped yesterday in Australia with her fiancé, so she must not have been in Belfast after all.

Turns out that the white paint was just a primer after all: the set has been painted a sandy brown. The Brown Keep doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Edited by Eyes High
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Seems likely that Sophie is done (the wolf tattoo). Sansa was snapped yesterday in Australia with her fiancé, so she must not have been in Belfast after all.

Turns out that the white paint was just a primer after all: the set has been painted a sandy brown. The Brown Keep doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Did anyone have this unhealthy fear that some actors could die before the end of the show and that they would have to recast or cut them? Lol

Like it happened with Dumbledore or Leia. 

And now that the shooting of the show is almost over I'm like great.. everyone lived lol

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nikma said:

Did anyone have this unhealthy fear that some actors could die before the end of the show and that they would have to recast or cut them? Lol

Any time I hear any of them are on a flight, especially the young stars; Issac, Maisie, Sophie.

• Love 2
(edited)

Great, I'm not the only one. LOL

I know there were some minor recatsings in the show, but when you consider how big this cast really is, they really succeeded in keeping everyone together for 8 seasons. 

And thank the god no one in the cast and crew was sexual predator. 

Edited by nikma

I had the same fear about the main cast. I also used to fear GRRM would die before he finished the series but now I realize it wouldn’t matter if he lived forever, he’s never going to finish it anyway. 

• Love 3