Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

More tidbits: Iain Glen also revealed at Comicon Stockholm that GOT will be filming Season 8 with only one unit, which may explain the prolonged filming time for S8.

Lena Headey Instagrammed herself at a wig fitting (in London, apparently).

Courtesy of WOTW: Liam Cunningham has revealed that the read through will take place on October 9th and 10th (with three episodes per day), and S8 filming will start on October 16th or 19th.

Liam Cunningham seems to suggest that S8 episodes will be longer (from EW), although EW.com correctly cautions that Cunningham hasn't seen the scripts yet and Iain Glen's comment about there only being one filming unit is a plausible alternative explanation for the prolonged filming time:

Liam Cunningham, who plays Ser Davos Seaworth, told TV Guide on Thursday: “[The episodes are] definitely going to be bigger and what I hear is longer,” he said. “We’re filming right up until the summer. When you think about it, up until last season we’d have six months to do ten episodes, so we’re [doing] way more than that for six episodes. So that obviously will translate into longer episodes.”

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
On 9/26/2017 at 7:49 PM, ShellsandCheese said:

I still don't see who they can wrap this up in six episodes without everything feeling rushed, or a couple of massive deus ex machina. In six episodes: The Night King and his army has to be defeated and Cersei has to be defeated. That is a lot. Have they confirmed that each episode will be 90-120 minutes? If so that's about the only way I could see them wrapping this all up. I really hope we get this next year and not 2019.........

Speaking of Sapochnik, everything about 6 x 9 was perfection. Everything. 

Jaime just has to kill her. There doesn't need to be much time devoted to beating Cersei.

Order if events can go like: Cersei attacks Jon and Dany's forces while they fight the WW-> Jaime goes to talk Cersei out of it-> Jaime finds Cersei long gone and unwilling to listen to reason -> Jaime stabs and kills Cersei-> UnGregor kills Jaime-> they die in each other's arms

Edited by WindyNights
On 10/4/2017 at 5:56 AM, Eyes High said:

Iain Glen revealed at Comicon Stockholm that the actors' read-through is happening October 9th.

IrishThrones has reported that security screens have been put up at the Winterfell set to block views. The set is being wallpapered and being painted in parts. A lot of activity.

That should be an interesting, tense experience for them.  Some of them will do it knowing their characters will die (like Cersei), as opposed to just wondering.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

That should be an interesting, tense experience for them.  Some of them will do it knowing their characters will die (like Cersei), as opposed to just wondering.

I probably wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to prank some of the actors with fake death scenes if I were one of the writers. 

Liam Cunningham said at NY Comicon that he has received the S8 scripts, although he joked (or "joked," who knows?) that the security verification process on the scripts is so rigorous that he hasn't gotten around to reading them yet. He also confirmed that the S8 table reads will take place on Sunday and Monday (the 8th and 9th).

It is times like these that I wish I had a cloak of invisibility.  Well at least Dan and Dave won't have to make a bunch of phone calls this season... everyone will know all at once how they will inevitably die (horribly)!

(edited)

More sightings: Sam, Tormund and Dolorous Edd, Euron and Jaime, and Grey Worm and Bran and Jorah's actors were all spotted at the Titanic Hotel in Belfast. Kit, Emilia and John Bradley West were also spotted hanging out together.

EthanTHFC on Twitter tweeted today about running into Maisie and Sophie in Belfast yesterday. Maisie said they weren't allowed to take a selfie with him. Sophie apologized on Twitter for (apparently) being rude to him, saying she'd had a really tough day that day and had just received some really bad news. (Cue frenzied tinfoil speculation about whether the "bad news" had anything to do with the read through.)

The Game Revealed video for 7x07 revealed that Littlefinger's death scene was a series wrap for Aiden Gillen, so don't expect to see Arya wearing his face in S8.

Guess Tormund lives then. I'm actually disappointed by that even though I actually like Tormund enough. 

I think Richard Dormer (Beric) was also spotted in Northern Ireland, but he's from Northern Ireland, so it's not necessarily proof of anything.

Edited by Eyes High
4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

The Game Revealed video for 7x07 revealed that Littlefinger's death scene was a series wrap for Aiden Gillen, so don't expect to see Arya wearing his face in S8.

Not that it would have stopped the writers, but I never saw any logic in Arya using Littlefinger’s face.  That would have been actively counterproductive as far as getting access to Cersei goes, since she’d have to bank on talking her way out of Littlefinger’s betrayal of Cersei.

• Love 2

Are they definitely there participating in the read through or are they in town getting fitted for makeup and prosthetics? The whole ile GoT crew is there. There is a ton of stuff going on. These are actors who have been part of the show for a while. These aren’t rando extras who would be excluded from everything.

Edited by BlackberryJam
On 9/26/2017 at 6:43 PM, Eyes High said:

We may well see Tobias Menzies, but the Riverrun S6 set was also used for the S7 Casterly Rock set, so it's not clear whether Riverrun will be back.

It's possible whatever army Riverrun has could join up, with Edmure in play, especially once the Lannisters leave with Jaime. 

11 hours ago, Eyes High said:

More sightings: Sam, Tormund and Dolorous Edd, Euron and Jaime, and Grey Worm and Bran and Jorah's actors were all spotted at the Titanic Hotel in Belfast. Kit, Emilia and John Bradley West were also spotted hanging out together.

EthanTHFC on Twitter tweeted today about running into Maisie and Sophie in Belfast yesterday. Maisie said they weren't allowed to take a selfie with him. Sophie apologized on Twitter for (apparently) being rude to him, saying she'd had a really tough day that day and had just received some really bad news. (Cue frenzied tinfoil speculation about whether the "bad news" had anything to do with the read through.)

Great to see the actors are hanging out together and are about to start filming.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Great to see the actors are hanging out together and are about to start filming.

Yes, it's great.

IrishThrones tweeted this a few days ago:

Winterfell set at Moneyglass, Toome, Ireland is a little OTT, more than usual! Hiding road view points w/ Screens f/ the public is extreme

Corbet,Linen mill studios set (Riverrun,boats & more) v.much alive @ front (not castle facade) & gearing f/more. Tight security @ main ent.

No activity so far for S8 at Wolf Hill quarry set, used last year for the Viserion death. Quiet with warning signs removed, no security.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, WindyNights said:

Yeah, I predict a spring 2019 release.

I agree.

Isaac Hempstead Wright has already been spotted back at university, and Jacob Anderson was snapped recently on a flight to London, so it looks like the cast is already dispersing after the table read. Filming could start as early as Monday.

Edited by Eyes High
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Chiny11 said:

What if Cersei survives at the end?

Narratively highly unlikely - given the Valonquar Prophecy, somebody's going to kill her. Yes, I know that hasn't been on the show, but D&D have said that the fate of the main players will be the same. And while it would be a twist to have a prophecy that isn't fulfilled (or at least, not fulfilled by the time the show is done), I doubt it will happen.

• Love 1

Sigh. I'm happy for Kit and whats-her-face BUT I really wish we didn't have to wait until 2019 to get the final season.

EthanTHFC on Twitter tweeted today about running into Maisie and Sophie in Belfast yesterday. Maisie said they weren't allowed to take a selfie with him. Sophie apologized on Twitter for (apparently) being rude to him, saying she'd had a really tough day that day and had just received some really bad news. (Cue frenzied tinfoil speculation about whether the "bad news" had anything to do with the read through.)

It always surprises me how close ST and MW have become considering that before S6, they didn't film together that much.  ST has spent the majority of her time on the show with LH, PD, AG and ND.  Maybe it's simply due to their ages.

Fully admit that I had an immediate thought over what the bad news was but then 2 things gave me pause, would D&D let people find out their getting killed at the Table-Read?  Didn't they say the actors are always told ahead of time?  And ST has always wanted her character to die tragically. Or Gory?  Something like that.   Sigh, it's going to be such a long wait.

I already hate that no evil doers are going to be alive at the end of all this.  Or even the more ambiguous characters.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Sigh. I'm happy for Kit and whats-her-face BUT I really wish we didn't have to wait until 2019 to get the final season.

It always surprises me how close ST and MW have become considering that before S6, they didn't film together that much.  ST has spent the majority of her time on the show with LH, PD, AG and ND.  Maybe it's simply due to their ages.

Fully admit that I had an immediate thought over what the bad news was but then 2 things gave me pause, would D&D let people find out their getting killed at the Table-Read?  Didn't they say the actors are always told ahead of time?  And ST has always wanted her character to die tragically. Or Gory?  Something like that.   Sigh, it's going to be such a long wait.

I already hate that no evil doers are going to be alive at the end of all this.  Or even the more ambiguous characters.

When Sophie Turner mentioned bad news, I wondered if she learned her dog was sick.  That dog was adopted back in season one -- she must be pretty old by now.

I don't think Sansa dying at the end of the series would necessarily be bad news for ST. I think character deaths prior to the last season were bad news mostly because it meant the actor/actress wouldn't be able to continue with the show, but since the show is also ending they already know they're not going to return. 

10 hours ago, Advance35 said:

4 hours ago, glowbug said:

I don't think Sansa dying at the end of the series would necessarily be bad news for ST. I think character deaths prior to the last season were bad news mostly because it meant the actor/actress wouldn't be able to continue with the show, but since the show is also ending they already know they're not going to return. 

I agree that the bad news likely doesn't have anything to do with the show. ST has said in the past that she would love a gory death scene, and if Liam Cunningham is to be believed, she likely learned Sansa's fate when she received the scripts in advance of the table read, and if she was getting killed off, she would have received a phone call from D&D to inform her. 

Other news:

With Hurricane Ophelia headed to Ireland, production may be delayed (no announcements have been made to that effect, though).

Some dude on Twitter claimed that filming is already happening at Magheramorne Quarry (Castle Black set), even though filming was supposed to start this week.

23 hours ago, Advance35 said:

This is not likely to be a prediction that ages well at all, but I reckon both Theon and Jaime (both are fairly ambiguous) have a much better shot of making it out of this series alive than 99% of fandom gives them. GRRM, for all his dragons and warging direwolves, strikes me as a realist- I still don't believe that the ending will be the good team Stark/Dany/Tyrion reassembling the realm after everyone the audience ever considered a villain has died for their sins. 

17 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I agree that the bad news likely doesn't have anything to do with the show. ST has said in the past that she would love a gory death scene, and if Liam Cunningham is to be believed, she likely learned Sansa's fate when she received the scripts in advance of the table read, and if she was getting killed off, she would have received a phone call from D&D to inform her. 

It turns out that the news may actually have had something to do with the show, albeit indirectly, as this tweet suggests that Zunni (Lady) passed away recently.  That would certainly fit the bill.

EDIT:  In happier news for Sophie, she's getting married.  I guess that'll be two main castmember weddings during production of Season 8, then.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

It turns out that the news may actually have had something to do with the show, albeit indirectly, as this tweet suggests that Zunni (Lady) passed away recently.  That would certainly fit the bill.

EDIT:  In happier news for Sophie, she's getting married.  I guess that'll be two main castmember weddings during production of Season 8, then.

My first thought wasn't she a tad young? 21 is young to get married in 2017. I had no idea she was seeing Joe Jonas. Congrats to them. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My first thought wasn't she a tad young? 21 is young to get married in 2017. I had no idea she was seeing Joe Jonas. Congrats to them. 

Mine too, then I checked myself, I was 25, my wife 21.25, we are married 41 years.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Harry Strickland has been cast. I guess it makes sense. Though if he's anything like his book counterpart... That means he'll be this awesome warrior on the show.

I remember the actor from the Last Kingdom. He was intense. This pretty much confirms no Daario. 

Courtesy of WOTW: PAP4U, the paparazzo who brought us the trailer cast photos from S7 among other shots, is back on the case for S8. 

A new structure is being built in the Paint Hall parking lot. Looks like a wood facade, with windows and a staircase. Apparently, it underwent a controlled fire test.

From freefolk (once again...grain of salt...):

This came through on a link from WOtW(it now appears to be down) ---Ok a crap ton of spoilers –shooting (filming) started yesterday – (no seriously there was filming with most of the cast) by I just got them and I need to run with them. I know that many of you will take these with a pinch or (shovel) of salt but that’s cool…I totally get it. The source who is 100% in the know – has seen storyboards and some plot outlines for this coming season(Up to episode 3)…. these are not 100% confirmed and many things could change by the time they get deeper into the scripts.

3 storyboards – the 1st board was from episode 1 and with 2 panels from the boat which carries Daenerys, Jon and their entourage. It has a scene between Davos and Tyrion with Missendai, they appear to be in the galley. There is also another panel of Jon and Daenerys on the deck side by side looking at the dragons flying overhead. The 2nd storyboard doesn’t specify the episode but it does seem to take place at Winterfell (or atleast in the north) because it had Daenerys in furs reaching her hand outward to a giant direwolf(the proportion of the wolf compared to Daenerys is incredible, it shows them as being eye to eye) that is standing in front of her( I can only assume it is Ghost) – this one scene has 3 panels and ends with the Direwolf nuzzling against her. The last storyboard is definitely in Winterfell because it has Arya, Jon and Daenerys standing together and the 2 dragons are sitting down near them– it is just 3 panels, I can only assume there is a conversation here. No action from what I can tell, Arya gets closer as the panels go on.

All in all, it appears these storyboards contain early scenes which involve FX (Dragons and Direwolves).

Working titles – the first 3 titles appear to just be working titles. 1. The Kraken: I think this might have more to do with the Greyjoy stuff going on 2. Pact of Ice and Fire: Not a clue what this is – related to the book title maybe? 3. Winterfell: This one seems pretty obvious

I will continue to get more (hopefully) as the weeks go on. 

Thanks!

source -  https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/770hmz/put_this_someplace_these_appear_to_be_mostly/

Edited by Chiny11
  • Love 3
(edited)

Kit said last week that he starts filming today, and indeed he was spotted yesterday in Belfast.

Sophie was spotted yesterday in Madrid. She was there with her fiance (Joe Jonas).

Nathalie Emmanuel was spotted on Saturday in Belfast. Liam attended the same boxing match she did.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)

IrishThrones reports that the pink GOT filming signs are up in Belfast; filming has officially started as of October 23rd.

Pap4u snapped Joe Dempsie in Belfast when the cast was in town for the read through. 

Joe Jonas was spotted at Belfast's Fitzwilliam Hotel, so in all likelihood Sophie Turner is now in Belfast as well.

IHW and Peter Dinklage have also been spotted in Belfast, on Sunday and Friday (respectively).

/r/Freefolknews is doing a good job posting cast member sightings and other tidbits.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

Rupert Vansittart was spotted. He plays Lord Royce. And since the only two things he has done since showing up last season was stand around complaining about something or be very stupid so that Sansa can impress us with her suddenly acquired military know how,  I am assuming that's what he is showing up for.

I think we can be very sure there will be some major complaining about Jon bending the knee in the first episode.  Has it been decided that the Vale is part of the North under Jon? Or is Yohn Royce still making up his mind about all this? Is Sweet Robin still relevant on the show?

If they are filming a revolt/rebellion against Jon in the great hall, Glover would probably be first in line.  Tim McInnerny will be spotted in Belfast soon!

Dany and Arya being there this time around should make things interesting to watch.

Has there been any sightings of Rory McCann yet?

4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Pap4u snapped Joe Dempsie in Belfast when the cast was in town for the read through.

And this has me officially hyped for next season. In a careful-what-you-wish-for way, LOL.

Edit: And he has longer hair!

Edited by Happy Harpy
2 hours ago, anamika said:

Rupert Vansittart was spotted. He plays Lord Royce. And since the only two things he has done since showing up last season was stand around complaining about something or be very stupid so that Sansa can impress us with her suddenly acquired military know how,  I am assuming that's what he is showing up for.

I think we can be very sure there will be some major complaining about Jon bending the knee in the first episode.  Has it been decided that the Vale is part of the North under Jon? Or is Yohn Royce still making up his mind about all this? Is Sweet Robin still relevant on the show?

If they are filming a revolt/rebellion against Jon in the great hall, Glover would probably be first in line.  Tim McInnerny will be spotted in Belfast soon!

Dany and Arya being there this time around should make things interesting to watch.

I'm still not over 'shouldn't those breastplates have leather?' as IF seasoned Northern armourers and a middle aged Lord who's probably seen more winters than Sansa has years wouldn't know that. 

The Vale seems loyal to Sansa regardless of Robin in the show, so I imagine if she comes to accept Daenerys so will they? 

NCW was apparently on a Copenhagen to Dublin flight this morning, so safe to say Jaime is going to be stepping into the wolf's den pretty soon. Exciting! 

Edited by herbz
3 hours ago, anamika said:

Rupert Vansittart was spotted. He plays Lord Royce. And since the only two things he has done since showing up last season was stand around complaining about something or be very stupid so that Sansa can impress us with her suddenly acquired military know how,  I am assuming that's what he is showing up for

God, I hope not. Waymar, Bronze Yohn's son, was the death that opened the series and the first casualty of the WW. We saw his death in both books and the show. I'd think that's important. I hope they do something with that. can't D&D use that? 

Sweetrobin is no more relevant than Edmure Tully is. I think we are supposed to assume that the Vale declared for Jon during episode 6x10. I'm pretty sure he was one of the guys who was waving his sword around during that scene.

1 hour ago, herbz said:

NCW was apparently on a Copenhagen to Dublin flight this morning, so safe to say Jaime is going to be stepping into the wolf's den pretty soon. Exciting!

I am so looking forward to his scenes at Winterfell. Bran-Jaime, Jon-Jaime... I wish the writers were more competent.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, herbz said:

I'm still not over 'shouldn't those breastplates have leather?' as IF seasoned Northern armourers and a middle aged Lord who's probably seen more winters than Sansa has years wouldn't know that. 

The point about the armourer is definitely valid (that feels like a moment where the writers wanted to show that Sansa had some knowledge about military matters, and didn't put much thought into the specifics of it; also, you don't attach leather to breastplates like that, so that advice doesn't even make sense), but in defense of the Royce example, I don't think that was an instance where he didn't know, he just wasn't looking at the armourers and so hadn't noticed they were doing it wrong.

Has it been decided that the Vale is part of the North under Jon?

The political status of the Vale is pretty much a mystery, and will probably remain so (particularly if the good guys are all being folded into one kingdom under Jon/Daenerys again, at which point it's moot).  The writers could never decide whether the Riverlands were part of Robb's kingdom or not, either.

6 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Joe Jonas was spotted at Belfast's Fitzwilliam Hotel, so in all likelihood Sophie Turner is now in Belfast as well.

Confirmed.  Also, heh, poor Joe (though I guess looking at his dating roster he's been the less identifiable person in the relationship a few times already).

4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

God, I hope not. Waymar, Bronze Yohn's son, was the death that opened the series and the first casualty of the WW. We saw his death in both books and the show. I'd think that's important. I hope they do something with that. can't D&D use that?

I think D and D would have forgotten Waymar Royce's existence and his role on the show.  Yohn Royce is very one dimensional and will remain so.

But now that half the story is going to be focused North, I am hoping that at least some of the Northern houses are fleshed out a bit and that they display a bit of their northern loyalty and hardiness. And that does not mean more Lyanna Mormont types. One of her is enough.

Sweetrobin is no more relevant than Edmure Tully is.

I hope we see Edmure one last time before the show ends. If the Riverlands ends up with Edmure in the books at the end of it all, it's possible the show will make this happen. On the other hand if it's Sansa or Arya who gets to be in charge there in the books - since they have a claim if Edmure and his child dies - then maybe we don't see him again.

I am so looking forward to his scenes at Winterfell. Bran-Jaime, Jon-Jaime... I wish the writers were more competent.

Arya-Jon reunion was what I was looking forward to the most two seasons ago. Now, after seeing the way last season was written and the Stark reunions, I think Arya and Jon will wave across the room at each other and then next scene it will be business as usual.

4 hours ago, SeanC said:

The political status of the Vale is pretty much a mystery, and will probably remain so

It may come into play if Royce is against Jon bending the knee and threatens to take the Vale out of the Northern alliance.

6 hours ago, herbz said:

Even more egregious than this was Royce, the commander of the Vale army, saying that they needed to tear down the castles - that stand as the first line of defence if the wall falls - in retaliation for Umber/Karstark betrayal . And Sansa has to inform Royce about how they need those castles to prepare for war!

I am sure he is just there to complain or be stupid. The show has made him out to be entirely incompetent. I can't see him leading an army or offer any worthwhile military advice.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1

^ oh yeah, that scene with the Karstarks/Umbers was pretty awful too. Why is it that every time the show wants to communicate that a character is 'smart' or a 'good leader' the IQ of everyone else in the room drops by 50 points? A similar but more infuriating thing (as a huge fan of the character in the books) happened with Arya this season. I don't see why it's so essential that Sansa has expertise in military matters anyway.  

In other news, everyone's favourite foster dad Davos is filming: 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, anamika said:

No, but fans don't often spot him the way they seem to zero in on some of the other cast members, like Iain Glen or Jacob Anderson.

Just as a summary, here are the characters whose actors have been spotted in Belfast or en route to Belfast since last Friday: Tyrion, Missandei, Davos, Bran, Sansa, Arya, Lord Royce, Jon, and Jaime.

I haven't heard anything about Lena or Emilia being in Belfast this week, but just because they haven't been spotted yet doesn't mean that they aren't there. 

Someone on /Freefolk said that Pilou is still in Bahrain...? I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of Ironborn stuff filmed right off the bat, unless it doesn't involve Yara, what with Gemma Whelan just having had a baby.

17 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

And this has me officially hyped for next season. In a careful-what-you-wish-for way, LOL.

Edit: And he has longer hair!

Yay! He looks so much better when his hair is slightly longer.

Edited by Eyes High
10 hours ago, anamika said:

Arya-Jon reunion was what I was looking forward to the most two seasons ago. Now, after seeing the way last season was written and the Stark reunions, I think Arya and Jon will wave across the room at each other and then next scene it will be business as usual.

I'm still shocked that Jon was around the Hound, Gendry, Thoros and Beric, ALL these people knew Arya at one point or another and none of them said a single thing. 

I'm not holding my breath with Arya-Jon. I'll wait on the books, I'm sure that reunion will be emotional.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm still shocked that Jon was around the Hound, Gendry, Thoros and Beric, ALL these people knew Arya at one point or another and none of them said a single thing. 

I'm not holding my breath with Arya-Jon. I'll wait on the books, I'm sure that reunion will be emotional.

I mentioned this in the endgame thread, but I think it would be interesting if the first episode of season 8 (maybe toward the end?) included a scene with everyone at Winterfell preparing for the king's arrival (Jon) and Arya rushing out to meet him similar to how she rushed out to be the first one to see King Robert in the series premiere.  That would be a nice throwback and I really need those two to have a meaningful, emotional reunion- for my sanity.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, domina89 said:

I mentioned this in the endgame thread, but I think it would be interesting if the first episode of season 8 (maybe toward the end?) included a scene with everyone at Winterfell preparing for the king's arrival (Jon) and Arya rushing out to meet him similar to how she rushed out to be the first one to see King Robert in the series premiere.  That would be a nice throwback and I really need those two to have a meaningful, emotional reunion- for my sanity.

That would be a very neat callback. She wouldn't take a knee either.

The way they ended last season with Bran watching as the Wall was coming down, are they going to have time for anything at all that makes sense timeline wise? I know it's such a ridiculous question given how they handled last season.

There are reunions to be had, bitching from the lords, that sweet bomb that's waiting to drop on Jon's head about his parents. Are they going to pick up right there or are they going to make it that Jon and Dany will have arrived before the Wall collapses and the invasion begins? I feel like they dug themselves a bit of a hole there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

The way they ended last season with Bran watching as the Wall was coming down, are they going to have time for anything at all that makes sense timeline wise? I know it's such a ridiculous question given how they handled last season.

There are reunions to be had, bitching from the lords, that sweet bomb that's waiting to drop on Jon's head about his parents. Are they going to pick up right there or are they going to make it that Jon and Dany will have arrived before the Wall collapses and the invasion begins? I feel like they dug themselves a bit of a hole there.

Yes, they really have.  D&D's desire to end the season with a bang has created a black hole for the future plot.  If they had just been a little more patient, they could have waited on bringing down the Wall until after Team Jon/Dany arrive at Winterfell.  That way we could have had some lighter moments on the road to WF and we also could have had all the touching reunions before all hell breaks loose for the rest of the season.  But that ship has sailed.  Pun intended.  What is your ideal start to the season?

18 hours ago, anamika said:

I am sure he is just there to complain or be stupid. The show has made him out to be entirely incompetent. I can't see him leading an army or offer any worthwhile military advice.

He did lead the army that won the battle of the bastards (no, LF wasn't doing that himself).

Bryan Cogman would be the man to remember Waymar Royce. If Yohn Royce is involved in a siege or otherwise involved in defending Winterfell, the boy may be mentioned at some point.

41 minutes ago, domina89 said:

Yes, they really have.  D&D's desire to end the season with a bang has created a black hole for the future plot.  If they had just been a little more patient, they could have waited on bringing down the Wall until after Team Jon/Dany arrive at Winterfell.  That way we could have had some lighter moments on the road to WF and we also could have had all the touching reunions before all hell breaks loose for the rest of the season.  But that ship has sailed.  Pun intended.  What is your ideal start to the season?

I wish they'd focus on the emotional beats of the story instead of the plot. I'm down for Jon reuniting with his siblings and Sam. Sam and Jon haven't shared a single scene since the end of season 5. If Maester Aemon could get a shout out, that'd be awesome. 

• Love 3