Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

Back in the day I suspected Jon was dead and going to be brought back and what decided it for me was that Kit H didn't lose the hair. 

i don't know what would be a similar thing for the last series but - if as you say Huisman is off filming elsewhere and doesn't go near a GOT shoot then that's that isn't it? Equally a credible pic of, say Jaime in furs looking a bit battered round the edges then - what can be concluded from that.

As re the Golden Company, handwavium could get them to Kings Landing and through two changes in leadership in one episode flat. 

Interesting theory on how Varys dies.... 

https://youtu.be/kBnw6a4Jcyw

My question is... If Varys betrays Dany, does that mean he sides with:

1. Cersei - I cannot see this happening since Varys has always said he stands for the interests of the people of Westeros. 

Or

2. Jon - Also don't think so. Because Jon is already "Team Daenerys". Unless, after the "Aegon Targaryen reveal" Varys  plots (behind both Jon and Dany's back) to get Jon on the throne. But then again with only 6 episodes I don't think there is enough time for this scenario to play out. 

Or

3. Night King - Maybe I am just reaching here. But he is the only other being that has been linked to blue-colored flame. ?

Or

4. Himself - I don't think Varys wants the Iron Throne. 

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Chiny11
20 hours ago, Chiny11 said:

Interesting theory on how Varys dies.... 

https://youtu.be/kBnw6a4Jcyw

My question is... If Varys betrays Dany, does that mean he sides with:

I am conflicted about Varys. I have always thought that if anyone in her inner circle betrays Dany, it would be him, but I don't see his motivation.  Jon and Cersei would kill him. The NK would kill or turn him before slaughtering Varys' beloved common people. Consequently, I think tv Varys stays loyal to Dany. As for Melisandre's prediction that he will die in Westeros, she is likely right since he lives there and might die tomorrow or years from now. 

On 9/22/2017 at 0:21 PM, GraceK said:

The only way I would be on board with this , is if he takes the opportunity as head of the golden company to betray Cersei for his true queen, Dany. That would be awesome . Otherwise it would be really disappointing if he turns Out to just be a scorned man who wants revenge. LAME 

I think that if Daario returns with the GC. The show will be cagey about his true intentions. Huisman has the lead role in that Netflix series, but it seems like they are still casting and have not started filming as yet.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
On 8/8/2017 at 5:43 PM, Wouter said:

The supposed "leak" also puts Sweetrobyn at Winterfell, but he is in the Vale and has no reason to come to Winterfell in the middle of winter. Another sign to it being utterly fake.

Yeah, chances are Sansa will have to move people closer to the Vale, than Robyn coming North ( unless the crypts are magical ).

12 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Watchers is real reliable, they have more correct then all others combine.

No. They really don't. Their information is thin and usually leaked elsewhere before it gets posted on Watchers. It's a lovely site and not full of shitposts and idiot memes, but they have almost no information that isn't sourced from other, more reliable, places.

44 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Yasssss. Finale or bust?

That was a foiler. The poster claimed an announcement would be made shortly about her casting...in May.

May of this year or next?

I think I saw the rumor in July??

The only way I can see Varys betraying Dany is if things go to shit with the Vale and Northern Lords which is likely and then with the reveal of Aejon he sees him as better figure to unite the realm. A weird combo of show Vary's for the realm beliefs and the book Vary's Faegon one. If they went this route time would be a huge concern, alot of things were rushed this season so introducing that on top of everything else that needs resolved. I worry we'd be getting tons of quick resolutions that don't make sense like Winterfell this season.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 10:29 AM, I Love Me said:

I have no idea how accurate the website is but over at The Dragon and the Wolf (thedradonandthewolf.com - not sure why there is a misspelling in the name but I double checked) there are lots of Season 8 spoilers posted.  Allegedly, Dany dies before the end of Season 8 due to getting stabbed by the NK in front of Jon and Jorah.  After she dies the dragons immediately take up with Jon.  "Jamie" (Arya wearing his face - yep, she kills him after hearing him confess to pushing Bran out of that window) cuts the dragonglass out of the NK, turning him back into a man.  An easy to kill man.  Euron hires the Golden Company and takes over KL, holding Cersei prisoner.  Jon takes his army and 2 dragons and attacks.  Arya (still wearing Jamie's face) kills Cersei and Jon kills Arya.  Theon and Jon work together to kill Euron - throwing him to Drogon for roasting.  According to this site it will be Jon that sits on the Iron Throne and takes Alys Karstark as wife.  He rules as Aegon The VI of Houses Stark and Targaryen a/k/a Aegon the Savior.  Winterfell becomes the new capital.  Crazy shit so no idea if it's true.  I'll be very sad if Dany doesn't make it to the end.    

I think fake, but I would not put it pass GRRM or D & D to give that fate on Arya, dying using someone else's face; would fit tragic child soldier.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:24 PM, GreyBunny said:

Good.  The rest of the season of the pastebin leak has been posted at Desinerd and it's an even worse shitshow:

Jaqen gives Arya a vial of poison and she imitates Qyburn and kills Cersei with the poison. Dany is weakened by childbirth and asks to be finished off. Varys kills her with Heartsbane. Dany's allies flee Dragonstone when Euron attacks, leaving Dany's body behind. Euron finds it and hangs her dead, rotting body up for display in the Red Keep. Euron is crowned king. The Others become an afterthought and the big finale battle is with Euron and the Golden Company vs everyone else. Jorah, Jaime, and Jon die in the Dragonpit when Drogon breathes fire, ignites the wildfire still stored underneath it, and blows everyone up. Missandei and Tyrion end up in bed together. Sansa ends up with Gendry, Arya goes back to Braavos. Jon and Dany's daughter is named Lyanna Targaryen, she is raised by Tyrion and Missandei. Tyrion is the king regent and Lyanna the queen. Bronn is the lord of Dorne after marrying another one of Oberyn's daughters. Bran is "resurrected" and becomes the new Night's King.

Barfnado.

Only thing I say of this, Jon's child will be raised by a STARK of Winterfell.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:14 PM, Eyes High said:

I dunno. GRRM's open admiration of the Scouring of the Shire from LOTR suggests that a post-WW battle denouement involving Cersei's last stand may have been his plan all along.

Eh, Lyanna was very young and likely very much in love. Is it so different from Sansa's idiocy over Joffrey in AGOT?

Yeah, but Sansa was at least 5 or 6 years younger then Lyanna, so,not much difference, and by Westeros standards Lyanna was a woman grown, Sansa is still a child.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GrailKing said:

May of this year or next?

I think I saw the rumor in July??

The Vanessa Redgrave foiler was posted May 12, 2017.

1 hour ago, GrailKing said:

Only thing I say of this, Jon's child will be raised by a STARK of Winterfell.

Well, hopefully not. Hopefully, Jon's child will be raised by Jon and Dany. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 11
On 8/28/2017 at 7:27 AM, bubble sparkly said:

he fact that D&D are trying to hype it up as a big thing just makes it more likely to be over pretty quickly lol.  Dany is not going to care they are related, and I bet someone will remind Jon about the other avuncular marriages in the Stark tree to make the audience see it's acceptable.  Hell, Sansa might even take note of Littlefinger's comment and be the one to suggest they marry to quell any Northern Lord bitching (because those idiots will always find a reason to bitch even if Dany is bringing her dragons to save their asses). 

Well if GRRM wrote each Stark to learn important skills from their  mentors, and the fact that he told us in season 4 that Sansa has a mind, and in books skills like LF (can talk and quell tense situations etc. ) then I do see her doing this, it also adds to her growing into a leadership role, that Jon pushed her in, in 7-2.

Assuming she survives, which I do.

On 8/28/2017 at 7:06 PM, shaggylives said:

Bronn likes money and Cersi claims to still have access to the Iron Bank.  Anyone else think Bronn will happily rejoin his buddies but then mid season 8 suddenly slit Jaime's throat and say Cersi paid him well to do it?

No, but maybe he do Sansa.

On 9/2/2017 at 1:42 PM, Eyes High said:

Some fans also see Sansa as the most likely endgame queen consort.

Between book and show, there's much foreshadowing of this, along with how good she would have been for Joffry if he wasn't such a n AH.

Add in how she is shown running Winterfell in S7 and I think most people in both universes, would agree she be an able and important partner.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:30 PM, Eyes High said:

Jon, Gendry, Tyrion, Sweetrobin, Jaime...pick one, really. I think some fans want Sansa as queen and don't very much care how it will happen or whether it makes any sense for the character.

When I first picked up the books, yeah I wanted Sansa and the Starks to get it all, then gradually moved to want Sansa happy and safe and either LOWF or both LOWF  and QITN, want her and the Starks far from the IT.

In the end I think a Stark will wind up as Royal; something they really not want beyond WF.

Edited by GrailKing
On 9/14/2017 at 11:18 AM, Chiny11 said:

I really hope we see them in White Harbor. That's just for my selfish reasons. I want to see Jon and Dany together before they get to Winterfell and all hell breaks loose. :(

I want Wyla Manderly's speech, she should get equal time with Lady Mormont.

Season 8 casting news from WOTW! Hallelujah! Quick summary:

Mercenary (35-50): cool, charismatic type, appears in two episodes of S8, needs to ride a horse, filming for a week in December and then again in May/June 2018.

Northern farmer (25-35): honest man, scheduled to shoot the week of November 17th.

Sassy and attractive Northern girl (18-25): sexy and confident girl, memorable one-scene part opposite leading cast, scheduled to shoot the week of November 6th.

Northern sentry (18-25): actor with great timing to play a small part opposite leading cast, scheduled to shoot first week of December.

Sailor (35-50): weathered face and strong presence, scheduled to shoot the week of December 11th.

Guard #1 (20s): physically fit, ethnicity isn't specified, scheduled to shoot the first week of December.

Guard #2 (30s): tall, fit, military feel, two days shooting November 1st and 2nd in Spain, one-line part with interaction with leading cast, call for white actor.

ETA:

Directors announced for S8! Miguel Sapochnik and David Nutter will direct at least two episodes apiece (with Sapochnik rumoured to be the one directing three), and D&D will direct 8x06.

Can't say I'll miss Alan Taylor or Mark Mylod too much, personally.

Glad Sapochnik is coming back. I guess he must be free, since with an October 2017-August 2018 shooting schedule and two or three (possibly feature-length) episodes to shoot, he's going to be living and breathing GOT for the better part of the next year. Ditto for Nutter. I'm happy to see Nutter back as well. I always liked his work.

For set leaks, with D&D directing the finale and no other episodes, it will be really easy to figure out whether a given scene is from the finale or not. 

One small spoilery takeaway from the lineup is that due to the fact that D&D are directing it, the finale is unlikely to have any big action sequences. It will likely be a dialogue-heavy episode tying up loose ends.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Sassy and attractive Northern girl (18-25): sexy and confident girl, memorable one-scene part opposite leading cast, scheduled to shoot the week of November 6th.

Do we get Wyla Manderly's  speech, but to Jon or Danny?

know about the promise ... Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!

1 minute ago, GrailKing said:

Do we get Wyla Manderly's  speech, but to Jon or Danny?

Nah, the emphasis on the "attractive," "sexy" and "confident" makes me think it's a Northern girl hitting on one of the leading cast members, likely one of the new arrivals to Winterfell (or Tormund, who knows?). My first thought was "prostitute," but then the casting notice likely would have specified. The scene is described as "memorable," so I'm guessing it's either played for laughs or shock value.

Isn't it too late for speeches by Wylla Manderly? The promise is one the Manderlys made, not the rest of the north. 

If people are still making speeches about why they should follow Jon and by extension Dany, then please, just open the gates for the NK and let him have at it. 

The north remembers and quickly forgets. If a 10 year old and a 15 year old have to remind the lords of their duty when the Wall has just fallen, then I don't even know what to say. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 3

Nutter doesn't really do the big action set pieces (with the exception being the Harpy attack/Drogon sequence in 5x09, and I guess the KL riot in 2x06), but he has been used for some of the show's most emotional moments (the Red Wedding, Theon executing Rodrik Cassel, Stannis burning Shireen, etc.). So maybe that's what we can expect from his episodes, with Sapochnik covering the big action sequences.

I'm still absorbing the news that Sapochnik is directing two (possibly three) episodes. We are so spoiled. I watched the sequence where Cersei blows up the sept of Baelor again. Fucking brilliant.

D&D's two episodes ("Walk of Punishment" and "Two Swords") were pretty talky and low on action, so I'm guessing the finale will be as well, which would make sense if it's tying up loose ends as many have speculated. D&D haven't directed any episodes since Season 4, so hopefully they aren't too rusty.

Great to have some casting and filming news. D&D directing the finale episode does give big hints on its content. I expect Cersei will be defeated in the previous episode or early in this episode so most of it will be wrapping up everyone's stories. I, of course, think this will mean Jon and Dany deciding on how they rule, their pregnancy and wedding, and maybe baby dragons.

Edited by SimoneS

They need some humor, so one of the Northern or Vale lords daughter hints at marriage or flirts with Jon in front of Dany, Davos and Tyrion.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, MadMouse said:

They need some humor, so one of the Northern or Vale lords daughter hints at marriage or flirts with Jon in front of Dany, Davos and Tyrion.

Get out of my head! That's exactly what I was thinking. Could possibly happen when Jon and Dany are on the King's Road or at Winterfell. 

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Great to have some casting and filming news. D&D directing the finale episode does give big hints on its content. I expect Cersei will be defeated in the previous episode or early in this episode so most of it will be wrapping up everyone's stories.

I much prefer a lengthy denouement, so I'm very happy with this.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I much prefer a lengthy denouement, so I'm very happy with this.

I have been thinking about D&D's interviews about planning the main characters' actions in advance as they plotted each season so they would end up where they are supposed to be at the end of the story. I bet that they are directing the finale because they want to make sure the story ends exactly as they discussed with Martin when they met with him back in 2014. I think that this great. Although I expect the season will feel a bit rushed, I am more confident than ever that we will get a thorough and emotional denouement. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Great to have some casting and filming news. D&D directing the finale episode does give big hints on its content. I expect Cersei will be defeated in the previous episode or early in this episode so most of it will be wrapping up everyone's stories. I, of course, think this will mean Jon and Dany deciding on how they rule, their pregnancy and wedding, and maybe baby dragons.

Yeah.  If D&D are truly doing the finale. My guess is the WW showdown/Jon vs. NK/brawl for it all will be 8x5 and that will be one of M.Sap's eppies.  The finale will be, as someone said upthread, a Scouring of the Shire like situation where they'll deal with Cersei.  Considering D&D's hard-on for Lena, I have no doubt she makes it to the finale.  And honestly I'm fine with it.  I know it's been established since the opening sequence of the pilot that the WW are gonna be bad news but it's the political intrigue that makes the show go round so I don't mind it too much that Cersei will likely follow the end of the WW battle.

3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I'm still absorbing the news that Sapochnik is directing two (possibly three) episodes. We are so spoiled. I watched the sequence where Cersei blows up the sept of Baelor again. Fucking brilliant.

I am incredibly happy about this.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

It was, and I thought the horse sequence in 6x09 was art. I get goosebumps watching that sequence.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kittykat said:

Yeah.  If D&D are truly doing the finale. My guess is the WW showdown/Jon vs. NK/brawl for it all will be 8x5 and that will be one of M.Sap's eppies.  The finale will be, as someone said upthread, a Scouring of the Shire like situation where they'll deal with Cersei.  Considering D&D's hard-on for Lena, I have no doubt she makes it to the finale.  And honestly I'm fine with it.  I know it's been established since the opening sequence of the pilot that the WW are gonna be bad news but it's the political intrigue that makes the show go round so I don't mind it too much that Cersei will likely follow the end of the WW battle.

I am incredibly happy about this.

What if Cersei survives at the end?  That would be more bitter than sweet but It could happen. ??

Speaking of Cersei. From the second/third? episode on, Cersie has never left Kings Landing. Seeing as she is unlikely to leave KL or even the Red Tower, for her to die someone is going to have to get into the Red Keep to off her, off her good.  That makes me still think that there's a chance Jaime kills her.  The only other option is she kills her self in defeat.

21 hours ago, GrailKing said:

May be we see Tobias Menzies now that

Reveal hidden contents

Black Jack / Frank Randall have been killed off in Outlander

We may well see Tobias Menzies, but the Riverrun S6 set was also used for the S7 Casterly Rock set, so it's not clear whether Riverrun will be back.

I still don't see who they can wrap this up in six episodes without everything feeling rushed, or a couple of massive deus ex machina. In six episodes: The Night King and his army has to be defeated and Cersei has to be defeated. That is a lot. Have they confirmed that each episode will be 90-120 minutes? If so that's about the only way I could see them wrapping this all up. I really hope we get this next year and not 2019.........

Speaking of Sapochnik, everything about 6 x 9 was perfection. Everything. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, kittykat said:

I wonder if it's possible to have both the NK's defeat and Cersei's speculated burning of KL in 8x05? While the burning isn't confirmed I've always thought it a good theory, but the timing might feel kinda odd if Cersei burns KL in the first half of 8x06 and then it's immediately fixed up so that Jon and/or Dany can be crowned in the second half. If Cersei flees to the Rock in 8x05 it would keep her and Jaime around until the final episode. So. . . maybe Jon/Dany give orders to rebuild KL when 8x06 starts, then everyone sieges the Rock, Jaime somehow gets in and kills Cersei, and the survivors return to KL and Winterfell for the coronation and wrap-up scenes.

It feels like practically every GOT fan is happy to hear that Sapochnik is back. The great uniter of the fandom after the season 7 debates!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ElizaD said:

I wonder if it's possible to have both the NK's defeat and Cersei's speculated burning of KL in 8x05? While the burning isn't confirmed I've always thought it a good theory, but the timing might feel kinda odd if Cersei burns KL in the first half of 8x06 and then it's immediately fixed up so that Jon and/or Dany can be crowned in the second half. If Cersei flees to the Rock in 8x05 it would keep her and Jaime around until the final episode. So. . . maybe Jon/Dany give orders to rebuild KL when 8x06 starts, then everyone sieges the Rock, Jaime somehow gets in and kills Cersei, and the survivors return to KL and Winterfell for the coronation and wrap-up scenes.

I think Cersei's increased prominence in the show vs. the books has enhanced it--a view not everyone shares, to be sure--but I'll be pissed if 75% of 8x06 is devoted to dealing with Cersei and the remainder is denouement.

I know not everyone is thrilled by the prospect of a long, Return of the King-style denouement, but personally, I'll feel cheated if we get anything less.

It feels like practically every GOT fan is happy to hear that Sapochnik is back. The great uniter of the fandom after the season 7 debates!

Hee. It's the one thing we can all agree on!

It's not the wish that some fans expressed of Sapochnik directing the entire final season, but directing 50% of it (if EW.com is correct) is not half bad.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4

I think Cersei's increased prominence in the show vs. the books has enhanced it--a view not everyone shares, to be sure--but I'll be pissed if 75% of 8x06 is devoted to dealing with Cersei and the remainder is denouement.

I know not everyone is thrilled by the prospect of a long, Return of the King-style denouement, but personally, I'll feel cheated if we get anything less.

Hee. It's the one thing we can all agree on!

It's not the wish that some fans expressed of Sapochnik directing the entire final season, but directing 50% of it (if EW.com is correct) is not half bad.

Lena Heady is a phenomenal actress and the show runners love her (understandably). Her Cersei is vastly more interesting than the book version, in my opinion. I LOVE to hate Cersei, and hope she dies in a fittingly ironic manner. However, I think it's D&D's love of Lena that accounts for Cersei's increased prominence. At this point, wrapping other story lines into Cersei's makes as much sense for the adaptation as any other possibility I suppose. But I want the end focus to be on those who survive to rebuild after the apocalypse.

And yessss! Miguel Sapochnik gives me a lot of hope that the final season will have a satisfying conclusion.  

• Love 5

Let's just hope that we don't get repeat of the season 7 finale where 45 minutes was devoted to dealing with Cersei.  I am hoping that she is dispatched easily and the finale focuses on everyone else.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Let's just hope that we don't get repeat of the season 7 finale where 45 minutes was devoted to dealing with Cersei.  I am hoping that she is dispatched easily and the finale focuses on everyone else.

You and me both.

We know that the last chunk of filming takes place during the summer, with filming ending in August. I have to wonder what they're going to film in that block. In Season 7, filming was supposedly delayed so that the weather would be colder for the "winter" scenes. Here, is filming being extended into the summer for the purposes of filming some "springy" exteriors? I'm also wondering about the potential for a time jump in the finale.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Eyes High said:

We know that the last chunk of filming takes place during the summer, with filming ending in August. I have to wonder what they're going to film in that block. In Season 7, filming was supposedly delayed so that the weather would be colder for the "winter" scenes. Here, is filming being extended into the summer for the purposes of filming some "springy" exteriors? I'm also wondering about the potential for a time jump in the finale.

A time jump isn't out of the question given Martin is doing an homage to LOTR. 

• Love 1

I'm feeling very positive about the final season with the news of Sapochnik returning for possibly three episodes, the larger budget, AND the rumor that each episode will possibly be up to 120 minutes in length.  I'm especially jazzed about Sapochnik- "Hardhome" is still my favorite episode, with "Winds of Winter" close behind it.  I've enjoyed David Nutter's work, too, on the show.  I've been a fan of his since the early days of The X-Files.  Season 8 will be in good hands.

I imagine D&D are directing the finale so they can end the story the way they want (which is their right) and also to keep a tighter lid on spoilers.  I guess we will see if they succeed.  There are so many fake leaks around already- it is going to be difficult to determine what is real and what isn't.  I wouldn't be surprised if part of that bigger budget includes hiring a team of social media experts to "leak" fake spoilers on various fan sites in order to throw all of us off the scent.  I would believe that before I believe they will spend good money and waste time filming fake ending scenes.

• Love 3

Peter Dinklage was spotted in Belfast earlier this week, and photos are surfacing today of Maisie Williams in Northern Ireland.

And now it begins! 

Miguel Sapochnik tweeted about his return:

#Thrones. Final season. Good to be back. The night is definitely long and full of terrors. Bring it on.

Yasssssssss!

I wouldn't be surprised if part of that bigger budget includes hiring a team of social media experts to "leak" fake spoilers on various fan sites in order to throw all of us off the scent.  

If they didn't do that while S7 was filming after the major plot points of S7 were leaked in their entirety, they won't do so now.

And why do D&D need to pay people to leak fake spoilers? There are plenty of attention-seeking idiots on 4chan and Reddit willing to do that for free.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5
(edited)

Iain Glen revealed at Comicon Stockholm that the actors' read-through is happening October 9th.

IrishThrones has reported that security screens have been put up at the Winterfell set to block views. The set is being wallpapered and being painted in parts. A lot of activity.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4