Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Kimmy Goes to College!

(edited)
7 hours ago, Bec said:

I was expecting the "offensive song" to be worse. It's just singing about boobs? Most of today's hit songs are about butts!

It is also a New Yorker having to sing about how great California is.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 16
(edited)

"Who put underwear on me?" I DIED!

Xan's miserable college experience is really something. I wonder if we'll explore how she ended up going to Columbia in the first place. Didn't we last see her living with her mom in, where was it, Connecticut? She didn't strike me as the kind of mom who would force her kid to go to a college she didn't want... But I guess it's Julian's doing. I guess Xan's going to have to work to prove to Dean Cain that she really belongs there, and then to Dean Koontz, who's the Dean.

ETA: Forgot to mention how great it is to see Judah Friedlander again! Figures Titus is the only one on TaskRabbit who could bear to sing his nutball songs! None so disgusting or offensive as the song promoting the ~shudder~ Cowabunga lifestyle.

Edited by Slovenly Muse
Obvious omission.
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2017 at 10:49 PM, Bec said:

I was expecting the "offensive song" to be worse. It's just singing about boobs? Most of today's hit songs are about butts!

That was the (somewhat tired) joke. Titus seems shocked by the lyrics only for us to discover that they're not bad at all.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

None so disgusting or offensive as the song promoting the ~shudder~ Cowabunga lifestyle.

I thought it was because he isn't about female body parts...boobs. He's gay. 

I loved the tie in to Kimmy's rowing and her earlier experience manning the crank in the bunker. Her comment about keeping it going so the world wouldn't end cracked me up. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:
23 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

None so disgusting or offensive as the song promoting the ~shudder~ Cowabunga lifestyle.

It's all of it. The big picture of the song is a celebration of everything that is disgusting about "Bro" culture - the obsession with California/Spring Breaking, objectification of women ("Boobs!"), the flashy cars, the sports/surfing... the whole shebang. It's an affront to everything Titus holds dear. Kind of like back in S2, that scene where a whole restaurant erupted in cheers with Titus upon learning "There IS no Entourage 2!"

4 hours ago, rubinia said:
On 2017-05-19 at 8:49 PM, Bec said:

That was the (somewhat tired) joke. Titus seems shocked by the lyrics only for us to discover that they're not bad at all.

I disagree. The lyrics were revealed to be DIFFERENT from what we expected based on the previous Right Wing conspiracy ramblings, but no less horrendous. "Boobs in California" is an ABOMINATION!

• Love 7

Yeah, come to think of it it's actually pretty bad that so many hit songs are about objectifying women's bodies. And people mostly just dance to it and think nothing of it! I guess that's the point the show was getting at, especially with that last scene of that boobs song playing in a club or something.

"A serial killer cant afford $100...but Hannibal Lecter runs a successful psychiatry business!" "Thank you friendly New Testament God who settled down and had a family!" I think the joke was that Titus could handle singing about the insane theories of a crazy conspiracy guy, but singing a dude bro song about California and BOOBS offends everything that he, an out and proud gay New Yorker, stands for.

Looks like Kimmy is going to college! With Xan! This could be funny, and Kimmy going to college is going to be a good time I think. I don't know about the shows jokes about college life, but I'm willing to see where it goes. It kept weirding me out that the RA looks like a teacher. RAs are students right? Is it different at Columbia? Is this lady a nontraditional student? Or is this just going to be a thing where writers don't know anything about college, or ignore it for comedy's sake?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I loved the tie in to Kimmy's rowing and her earlier experience manning the crank in the bunker. Her comment about keeping it going so the world wouldn't end cracked me up. 

Right, he was grossed out by the boobs aspect. It wasn't a good song but it hardly warranted calling the composer a "monster."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rubinia said:

Right, he was grossed out by the boobs aspect. It wasn't a good song but it hardly warranted calling the composer a "monster."

Well, that's kind of the joke. Overdramatizing and irrationalizing are Titus' thing

Example A: the Beyoncé/Lemonade parody.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Well, that's kind of the joke. Overdramatizing and irrationalizing are Titus' thing

Example A: the Beyoncé/Lemonade parody.

That's exactly the joke. He sang about all of these terrible offensive things and didn't react at all. Those other songs were offensive and really uncomfortable. Titus doesn't care about singing derogatory or crazy things, he cares about having to sing about California. The guy was a monster, just not for the one song Titus actually objected to.

• Love 6
On 5/21/2017 at 9:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

"A serial killer cant afford $100...but Hannibal Lecter runs a successful psychiatry business!" "Thank you friendly New Testament God who settled down and had a family!" I think the joke was that Titus could handle singing about the insane theories of a crazy conspiracy guy, but singing a dude bro song about California and BOOBS offends everything that he, an out and proud gay New Yorker, stands for.

Looks like Kimmy is going to college! With Xan! This could be funny, and Kimmy going to college is going to be a good time I think. I don't know about the shows jokes about college life, but I'm willing to see where it goes. It kept weirding me out that the RA looks like a teacher. RAs are students right? Is it different at Columbia? Is this lady a nontraditional student? Or is this just going to be a thing where writers don't know anything about college, or ignore it for comedy's sake?

It's not different at Columbia - RAs are students, upperclassmen. That is also not Columbia, either inside or outside. Shows and movies film on campus all the time (sometimes Columbia is a stand-in for Hudson University, for example) and I think UKS films in NYC, but they didn't film on campus this episode. Xan's setup is real (freshman year I lived in a suite made up of two doubles that shared a bathroom, and the whole dorm was like that) but that is a MUCH nicer dorm room than ... any of them, frankly.

I almost didn't recognize Juda Friedlander without his glasses! And Titus in that wig with that soul patch had me dying.

"Who put underwear on me?" And they're both so indignant! 

• Love 2

I believe the school is St. John's Prep. in Astoria, NY.  A lot of filming is done in that school.  They had closed off the street for a day and rumor had it was for Unbreakable.  Oh and I had no idea that was Judah.

Most of the shooting is done in Brooklyn or Queens because even though East Dogmouth is supposed to be in Manhattan, there aren't a lot of places in Manhattan that look like that these days.  Lillian's tugboat is in Greenpoint, on the border between the two.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, I was confused about the RA as well.  I thought they were going to lead into a story about needing another non traditional RA, making Kimmie an employee of the school in which case she could enroll and get a free education.  But that would get in the way of her living with Titus so glad they went this way.

On 23/05/2017 at 4:53 PM, Lunula said:

Xan: "I wanna fight you."

Kimmy: "No you don't. I would destroy you!"

Haha!

That was awesome. I also liked how Kimmy happy that Xan gave her a review with the smiling soft serve chocolate ice cream emoji in it. I was out at a store today with my wife and 3 year old. I saw a stuffed animal of that emoji and tried to convince my 3 year old it wad chocolate ice cream and even she knew it was poop.

• Love 3

I enjoyed them barrelling through the, Ivy League Schools Don't Offer Full Athletic Scholarships issue, by just having the coach exploit the jock-nerd relationship on Dean Koontz (heh). It's over, it's resolved, don't need to talk about that again.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I enjoyed them barrelling through the, Ivy League Schools Don't Offer Full Athletic Scholarships issue, by just having the coach exploit the jock-nerd relationship on Dean Koontz (heh). It's over, it's resolved, don't need to talk about that again.

I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but I did go to a D3 school, which also isn't allowed to give out athletic scholarships. We definitely had students get academic scholarships they didn't really deserve just because they played sports. 

• Love 1

Judah! I kind of love how completely apolitical Titus is, it completely fits into his character. Of course he would be outraged and offended at having to add another horrendous song about "the cowabunga lifestyle" to the universe, but he's not about to care for one second that this guy thinks Hillary Clinton murdered Nicole Brown Simpson or perpetuates Zionist conspiracy theories. We know he doesn't vote because Kimmy is the only registered voter in East Dogmouth. Titus saves his moral indignation for important things, like speaker phones.

Oh Xanthippe, how I've missed you and your scenes with Kimmy! I assume we'll be getting a lot of her this season, since they'll now be going to school together.

There are so many, but I think my favorite running joke in the series is about how freakishly strong Kimmy is. I cracked up watching her easily carry that refrigerator up the stairs, and the Task Rabbit app was perfect for someone like her, who loves helping people and desperately needs fast cash. And this show continues to excel at linking Kimmy's time in the bunker with present-day storylines. Of course she'd be awesome at crew, after so many years of turning the mystery crank.

Gretchen: "Kimmy, that show is sinful! They say that Ross and Monica are brother and sister, but you can tell he knows her like a husband!"

I was wondering where they'd filmed the exterior scenes for Columbia. I only went there once when I was touring colleges, but it didn't look like anything I'd seen. Part of me was hoping they'd use my alma mater, Fordham. They film a lot of shows and movies there.

On 5/30/2017 at 3:53 PM, April Bloodgate said:

I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but I did go to a D3 school, which also isn't allowed to give out athletic scholarships. We definitely had students get academic scholarships they didn't really deserve just because they played sports. 

I remember some of the kids I went to high school with getting academic scholarships to Ivy Leagues so they could do sports. What seemed unrealistic to me about the scene with the Dean was that he would be against it. If someone is as good at crew as Kimmy is, it can only boost the school's reputation. Deans sign off on stuff like that every year.

I haven't missed Xan at all this season so I'm a little worried that I will get a Xan overload now that Kimmy is at Columbia too. But if I have to see Xan, it's nice to see that she is no longer the queen bee. I think a lot of people begin college thinking that it will be the same as high school and are in for a rude awakening when they no longer have the same status as just one freshman out of thousands.

Ha, I loved that Gretchen's remarks about Ross and Monica were while she and Kimmy were staring at a cardboard tv.

I recognized Judah's voice before I recognized his face. Man, his songs were cray!

I agree that the RA looked way too old to be an undergrad. Hopefully we will get an explanation about that later in the season.

Task Rabbit is so perfect for Kimmy. She gets to cheerfully help people AND she gets paid to do it!

(edited)
On 5/30/2017 at 3:53 PM, April Bloodgate said:
On 5/30/2017 at 1:14 PM, Traveller519 said:

On 6/3/2017 at 0:44 PM, helenamonster said:

I remember some of the kids I went to high school with getting academic scholarships to Ivy Leagues so they could do sports.

Ivy League schools don't have academic/merit scholarships, either. Recruited athletes do have a somewhat increased chance at admission, though, and if they qualify for financial aid, they would receive it.  (With admission rates between 5.2% and 12.5% this year, they don't have to work to attract academically qualified applicants, they just have to make school more affordable for the less wealthy admitted students.)  The kids you knew might have been athletic and said that they got scholarships, but they were in the form of need-based financial aid.

If Kimmy were actually able to gain admission to Columbia, with her negative income, she would certainly receive a full need-based scholarship, which would also cover room, board, and probably a stipend for books.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
On 6/27/2017 at 8:11 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Ivy League schools don't have academic/merit scholarships, either. Recruited athletes do have a somewhat increased chance at admission, though, and if they qualify for financial aid, they would receive it.  (With admission rates between 5.2% and 12.5% this year, they don't have to work to attract academically qualified applicants, they just have to make school more affordable for the less wealthy admitted students.)  The kids you knew might have been athletic and said that they got scholarships, but they were in the form of need-based financial aid.

If Kimmy were actually able to gain admission to Columbia, with her negative income, she would certainly receive a full need-based scholarship, which would also cover room, board, and probably a stipend for books.

I grew up in one of wealthiest zip codes in the country. These kids did not need financial aid. So if they can't get academic scholarships then I don't know what it was they got or if the school fudged their financial needs, but they were recruited to Ivys to play sports and it was masquerading as being for academic achievement. They were all pretty open about it.

Is Task Rabbit an actual thing?  Because I can certainly believe it.  Also not surprised Kimmy would excel at it.

Took me a few seconds to place Judah Friedlander as Gordy.  Cracked up over how Titus was able to move past his insane fringe views (Hilary killed Nicole Brown Simpson?!) and lay the background tracts, but it was "Boobs in California" that made him pause, due to being against everything he stood for.  Still, not surprised he ended up doing it and it's apparently found success at dance clubs in Tokyo.

Hope Artie comes back.  Peter Riegert was great and plays off Lillian/Carol Kane well.

So, Kimmy is going to go to Hudson University now due to a rowing scholarship, thanks to turning that wrench all the time back in the bunker.  That should be fun. Especially with Xanthippe there with her!  Loved how she tried to get herself thrown out only to for the R.A. and dean to praise her, because they thought it was just her way at fighting her privilege.