Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Umbelina

Spoilers For the Hulu Show

Recommended Posts

On 27.4.2018 at 5:17 AM, chocolatine said:

I could have sworn that Hulu and/or IMDB had titles and descriptions of upcoming episodes, but I just went back to check, and there's nothing. Maybe someone at Hulu realized they were giving too much away.

Here’s an overview with names up to season 2, episode 10:

  • S02E01 is called June and aired on 25 April 2018.
  • S02E02 is called Unwomen and aired on 25 April 2018.
  • S02E03 is called Baggage and will air on 2 May 2018.
  • S02E04 is called Other Women and will air on 9 May 2018
  • S02E05 is called Seeds and will air on 16 May 2018.
  • S02E06 is called First Blood and will air on 23 May 2018.
  • S02E07 is called After and will air on 30 May 2018.
  • S02E08 is called Women’s Work and will air on 6 June 2018.
  • S02E09 is called Smart Power and will air on 13 June 2018.
  • S02E10 is called The Last Ceremony and will air on 20 June 2018.
  • S02E11 will air on 27 June 2018.
  • S02E12 will air on 4 July 2018.
  • S02E13 will air on 11 July 2018.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

Surprised this didn't make it over here yet -- starts off with a pretty big spoiler related to a question book readers have been asking from pretty much day one:

'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 and Women's Suffering

Yay!  Econowives!

Um, boo!  Is June back in Gilead proper, perhaps posing as an econwife?  Of course, that would still be better than being a handmaid...but dang.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Yay!  Econowives!

Um, boo!  Is June back in Gilead proper, perhaps posing as an econwife?  Of course, that would still be better than being a handmaid...but dang.

This could be a Flashback? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It could be, she could also be hiding out, posing as one, a step on the way to freedom?  As I recall Econwives weren't monitored as much, at least for a while. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Umbelina said:

It could be, she could also be hiding out, posing as one, a step on the way to freedom?  As I recall Econwives weren't monitored as much, at least for a while. 

I dunno. I doubt she would hide out in the open. That' seems rather dangerous. But who the hell knows with this show. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Yay!  Econowives!

Um, boo!  Is June back in Gilead proper, perhaps posing as an econwife?  Of course, that would still be better than being a handmaid...but dang.

I'm going to be super disappointed if the Econowives aren't wearing stripes. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I'm going to be super disappointed if the Econowives aren't wearing stripes. 

One of the articles I read (alas, I don’t remember which one) said purple was the econowife color, but I suppose that doesn’t preclude stripes, too  

Share this post


Link to post

Assuming IMDB is correct, Eden is in episodes 2x05-2x13 so I am thinking not flashback.  Sounds like June spends all season in the same place.  Or we meet this character and start following her along with everyone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh hell.  So it sure looked like Nick was getting married in the preview for episode 5.  If June is staying put than the only way she would have contact with an econowife is...if Nick was married to one.    Which certainly adds layers to the conversation about Eden's husband not wanting to have sex with her.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad we will get to see more Econwives, however it comes about.  Having Nick chosen to marry one?  That's an interesting choice.  I just hope it doesn't relate to June's guilt about already breaking up one marriage, because I really want her to recover and start fighting back and she probably needs Nick to escape.

I wonder where those "wives" come from.  Widows of soldiers maybe, or adult children of other Econofamilies? 

Don't they marry off the girls Commander's wives raise to other big shots at about 16 years old?

Share this post


Link to post

From Ebert.com, “One strong addition to the cast is 20-year-old Sydney Sweeney, who recently won over viewers on Netflix’s “Everything Sucks!”, where she shared many of the show’s best scenes with Peyton Kennedy, the other half of their teen couple who gained a devoted fan base despite the program’s cancellation. The extroverted character she played on that show couldn’t be further removed from her role on “The Handmaid’s Tale” as Eden, the 15-year-old bride assigned to Nick. Despite her wide-eyed innocence, Eden is hardened in her conviction to obey Gilead’s laws, and since Sweeney looks much younger here than she did in “Everything Sucks!”, it makes her deflowering all the more disturbing. Thankfully, the scene contains no nudity, focusing instead on her hand gripping the arm of Nick, whose visible discomfort overrides any potential eroticism.”

I really don't want to watch a character we are supposed to root for have sex with a child and it will all about him and his feelings.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

From Ebert.com, “One strong addition to the cast is 20-year-old Sydney Sweeney, who recently won over viewers on Netflix’s “Everything Sucks!”, where she shared many of the show’s best scenes with Peyton Kennedy, the other half of their teen couple who gained a devoted fan base despite the program’s cancellation. The extroverted character she played on that show couldn’t be further removed from her role on “The Handmaid’s Tale” as Eden, the 15-year-old bride assigned to Nick. Despite her wide-eyed innocence, Eden is hardened in her conviction to obey Gilead’s laws, and since Sweeney looks much younger here than she did in “Everything Sucks!”, it makes her deflowering all the more disturbing. Thankfully, the scene contains no nudity, focusing instead on her hand gripping the arm of Nick, whose visible discomfort overrides any potential eroticism.”

I really don't want to watch a character we are supposed to root for have sex with a child and it will all about him and his feelings.

Well, she was no longer a child, but when Philip on The American's had sex that was similar?  It was pretty fucking powerful.  Then again, Rhys is an amazing actor, I guess we are about to see if Max Minghella is.  Recent interview with him by the way, which is more interesting now that we've heard that spoiler.  https://www.glamour.com/story/the-handmaids-tale-max-minghella-on-his-character-nick

She has a very expressive face, I've never seen her act, but it looks like she can go from bitch to innocent very easily.

17126540_815878215230422_157089152123692

There is also something layered in her, she can almost look spooky, and like there is a ton going on behind these eyes.

Sydney-Sweeney.jpg

I just have a feeling about her from her photos, she might be a really good addition to this.

sydneysweeney4.jpg?w=550

This story, I think, will coincide with June's guilt over ruining Annie's life, and her substantial part in seducing Luke away from his wife and vows.  I still think that Luke's the one that took the vows, and broke them, and was an asshole about the way he did all of it, he should own that guilt.  June though?  She is responsible as well, in (to me) a slightly lesser level of suck than Nick.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Another spoiler in this article, maybe two.  Does Nick's bride move in with him in the loft over the garage?  Also, Rita has a child, she's been hiding the fact that she's fertile!
 

Quote

 

Is it safer for Rita and the other Marthas than it is for other women in Gilead?

I have a very specific theory about Rita. In doing research and in preparation for the character, I learned that she has such disdain for Handmaids – so much so that I suspect she isn’t infertile. She somehow tricked the system and can, in fact, have a child. And, in season one, my suspicions were confirmed: you see Rita has a child. With this in mind, I think she tried to secure herself the role of the Martha because, objectively, it did look safer: if you can get inside the household, and get into a routine, you won’t be ceremoniously raped every month. If a baby is born within the household, then you’re assured a job for at least 18 years to raise the child. But it’s a slippery slope, because you don’t provide any value. If the mistress of the house were to find a problem with you, you could immediately be shipped to the colonies – your life means nothing to people.

 

https://www.stylist.co.uk/people/amanda-brugel-handmaids-tale-season-2-spoilers-martha-rita-margaret-atwood/205277

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2018 at 3:10 AM, Umbelina said:

Another spoiler in this article, maybe two.  Does Nick's bride move in with him in the loft over the garage?  Also, Rita has a child, she's been hiding the fact that she's fertile!
 

https://www.stylist.co.uk/people/amanda-brugel-handmaids-tale-season-2-spoilers-martha-rita-margaret-atwood/205277

No, we found out she had a child in season 1 (and the article states this as well). She told Serena about her son who died in the war. Serena seemed to think he died fighting for Gilead, but I always wondered if it wasn't the opposite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, secnarf said:

No, we found out she had a child in season 1 (and the article states this as well). She told Serena about her son who died in the war. Serena seemed to think he died fighting for Gilead, but I always wondered if it wasn't the opposite.

I wonder if that's saying he's still alive?

OR, why Rita wasn't made into a handmaid, since she's fertile, she's not THAT old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I wonder if that's saying he's still alive?

OR, why Rita wasn't made into a handmaid, since she's fertile, she's not THAT old.

I seem to remember that in the book there was an age limit for handmaids. June is 33 and says her time is almost up. If Rita had a son who was old enough to be a soldier, she would be at least in her late 30s. To me she looks like she's in her early 40s.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I seem to remember that in the book there was an age limit for handmaids. June is 33 and says her time is almost up. If Rita had a son who was old enough to be a soldier, she would be at least in her late 30s. To me she looks like she's in her early 40s.

That could be it, though that interview with the actress sees it differently.

Either way, it's realistic that the show will marry off girls at 15, the younger you are, biologically, the more fertile you are. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to find the article that I just read this week about Eden. Basically, however, it says that Eden approaches June and laments that her new husband is unable to consummate their marriage. June is very kind to her and tells her that sometimes men can be shy, too. Eden then questions Nick's, um, loyalty (?) to the opposite sex and wonders whether he is a gender traitor. The camera pans in on June and you can see the look change in her eyes. It's like she suddenly realizes how much power Eden, and other wives, can have over their husbands. 

As soon as I find it, I'll post the link. 

 

Found it!

Quote

The most chilling scene in the early new episodes of The Handmaid’s Tale comes when a 15-year-old Econowife, Eden (Sydney Sweeney), shyly tells June (Elisabeth Moss) that her new husband refuses to lie with her. June gently explains that she should be patient, that the strangeness of the arranged marriage is hard for her husband, too. “I can’t wait,” Eden replies. “It’s our duty to God.” Then her face hardens. “What if I don’t? What if he can’t?” She wonders if her husband is a “gender traitor,” a crime that carries a death sentence in the theocratic Republic of Gilead.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/04/the-handmaids-tale-season-two/558809/

Edited by mamadrama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/14/2018 at 8:14 PM, chocolatine said:

I seem to remember that in the book there was an age limit for handmaids. June is 33 and says her time is almost up.

When they first meet in the book, Serena Joy says "This is your second, isn't it?", meaning second time posted in a commander's house. When Offred replies that it's her third, Serena comments "Not so good for you".  Later, Offred says "I am thirty-three years old. I have brown hair. I stand five seven without shoes. I have trouble remembering what I used to look like. I have viable ovaries. I have one more chance." Because of SJ's previous comment, I took it to mean that Offred was near the end because it was her third and final posting, rather than due to a hard and fast rule about her age.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:14 PM, chocolatine said:

If Rita had a son who was old enough to be a soldier, she would be at least in her late 30s. To me she looks like she's in her early 40s.

To me she looks no older than Elizabeth Moss, so I've always been a bit confused about how old Rita's character is actually suppose to be (she could have had her son as a young teen). In real life, the actors are four years apart, but Elizabeth Moss looks a lot rougher for her age than Amanda Brugel does.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So, FIRST BLOOD is probably a double meaning, but I'd guess that one of those meanings is Eden's deflowering, if nothing else, to keep Nick from being arrested as a "gender traitor."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

So, FIRST BLOOD is probably a double meaning, but I'd guess that one of those meanings is Eden's deflowering, if nothing else, to keep Nick from being arrested as a "gender traitor."

Might also refer to the shooting of Serena Joy,which was likely one of the big catalysts to making her go batshit.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Might also refer to the shooting of Serena Joy,which was likely one of the big catalysts to making her go batshit.

 True, but it looks like she was batshit before, and that's what got her shot.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/16/2018 at 9:20 PM, Umbelina said:

 True, but it looks like she was batshit before, and that's what got her shot.

No arguments here that she wasn't crazy before but in a lot of people's lives you can look back in hindsight and see a point in which they go from "ignorant and crazy dummy" to "ignorant and dangerous crazy dummy." 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ep 7 preview...the flashbacks.  Were Luke and June considering selling Hannah?  I can't quite tell what was going on there.

Edit: rewatched in slow mo.  I see Moira handing over a baby while June stands next to her kind of smiling.  So not Hannah?  Was Moira a surrogate before?

Edited by Shaynaa

Share this post


Link to post

In the previews we've seen Serena Joy talking to Fred about she's worried people will think they're in the resistance. Unless this is a flashback, are we to take that to mean that he isn't dead since we haven't seen that scene yet? If he were to die, though, what would happen to SJ? Would she be married off to another commander?

Share this post


Link to post

It's hard to imagine another Commander would take on an old barren wife, when they have so many other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Bruce Miller (creator and executive producer): It pivots everything. It's a big change in the world of Gilead. The initial idea came from, "Wouldn't it be interesting if there was a suicide bomber, and we're on her side? What's the show where we're on the side of the suicide bomber," where you're cheering that person on — and it's a very troubling feeling to have. It really does pivot the whole show. Mostly, we did this because the women and Mayday are getting stronger and more organized. We wanted to think about what might happen next. The other thing that was really important for us is that the Mayday rebellion isn't a handmaid rescue society. Killing handmaids is actually a good way to hurt Gilead. Having Offred realize, "Mayday may be out there, but we may be in just as much danger on a personal level from them [as Gilead's societal structure]. We may be enemies of Gilead, but we're also an asset of Gilead." Seeing a specific strike and agenda from Mayday that would be really encouraging but also terrifying? That was the goal. What we'll see in future episodes is how Gilead reacts and what that clampdown feels like, which is absolutely horrible.

Sounds like we are definitely moving into "Phase Two" of Gilead now, as noted by the epilogue.  Phase Three will end it.

More here: 

How That 'Handmaid's Tale' Twist Leads to an "Absolutely Horrible" Future

Elisabeth Moss, showrunner Bruce Miller and more weigh in on the brutal ending of "First Blood."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If anyone wants to be truly spoiled...

Fred lives. In the Israeli trailer, it shows Commander Pushing visiting Fred in the hospital. 

fred 1.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The showrunner re: that scene in the pool with the two people tied to weights:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/handmaids-tale-season-2-bruce-miller_us_5adf9210e4b07be4d4c58f3e

Quote

But there’s a scene very late in the season where two people get thrown in a swimming pool with their legs tied to weights. It’s a very updated version of a very old concept ― they would have wells where they would throw the witches. They would throw them in there, I think [they were called] dunking wells, to drown them. That’s how they would execute women, [because it] was considered nicer. No hanging or cutting heads off. No blood. Which to me just sounds like a horrible misunderstanding of what it probably feels like to drown.

Our modern version is in a swimming pool and they’re chained to kettlebells. The type you’d find at the gym. It’s updated in a horrible way, but it’s very much tied to a legal remedy that’s been around for a very long time, focused very much on women.

It's possible that the couple doesn't die, that it's just a test. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

If anyone wants to be truly spoiled...

Fred lives. In the Israeli trailer, it shows Commander Pushing visiting Fred in the hospital. 

fred 1.jpg

I would love to see that preview!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

If anyone wants to be truly spoiled...

Fred lives. In the Israeli trailer, it shows Commander Pushing visiting Fred in the hospital. 

fred 1.jpg

According to Google Translate, the subtitle says "we'll find every man". He's probably saying that they'll find everyone who was involved in the terror plot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've read some episode descriptions for upcoming shows. Because of the sick baby storyline and the fact that Warren and Naomi are prominent side characters, I am calling them as the couple in the pool. I also think that it's either SJ or Nick getting the beating from Fred. Him asking June to stay is telling. If it's Nick then the beating could serve as punishment to June by proxy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Where can I find those?

Someone copied and pasted them on another forum. I'm trying to find the original source for you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, I watched the promo for episode 8 and at the end ...  to me it looks as if Fred is going to discipline Serena in front of June.

If so that is going to cause one heck of an explosion after the fact.

If Fred is going to basically punish Serena like a bad little girl in front of their handmaid, really demonstrating his control over her in front of June,  a figure that Serena has been desperate to hold power over, to dominate, to have fear her, that is going to certainly set off some fireworks.

Of course that may not be what unfolds but that’s what it looked like to me. 

Fred is a real asshole. And he can still walk dammit.

 And apparently Eden is playing the little snoop going through Nick’s belongings, she really is out to cause trouble. 

And baby Angela is not doing well, I wonder why ...  oh maybe it has something to do with her being ripped from the loving arms of her true mother and given to the most incompetent wife with zero maternal instincts on the block.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

Okay, I watched the promo for episode 8 and at the end ...  to me it looks as if Fred is going to discipline Serena in front of June.

...Of course that may not be what unfolds but that’s what it looked like to me. 

Fred is a real asshole. And he can still walk dammit.

 And apparently Eden is playing the little snoop going through Nick’s belongings, she really is out to cause trouble. 

And baby Angela is not doing well, I wonder why ...  oh maybe it has something to do with her being ripped from the loving arms of her true mother and given to the most incompetent wife with zero maternal instincts on the block.

That's what it looked like to me, too, Fred hitting/punishing Serena in front of June. I was also really hoping he'd be maimed in some way.

I totally knew Eden was going to find those letters. Uh-oh.

Share this post


Link to post

 I thought I heard a sharp crackle of some kind which is what makes June react with horror and turn away, so I wonder if a wife can be punished with the cattle prod by her husband. They do seem to love those torture devices.  And of course with Serena she doesn’t have a growing fetus to hide behind to avoid being physically harmed.

That makes me wonder actually if he’s going to do it to Serena because June is pregnant and the argument is that June of course can’t be mistreated in that way, at least while with child, so Serena has to take the handmaid’s punishment. Sisters in arms, right Serena Joy?

I can’t believe that he seems to have escaped that explosion without much to show for it. I thought it would be fitting if he had to remain in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, unable to enjoy his little commander again.

Nick is going to have to get a crash course in sharing his space with the baby bride, he’s been too careless. June already warned him of what Eden is capable of, he should’ve taken those letters out of there the second she arrived. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

Okay, I watched the promo for episode 8 and at the end ...  to me it looks as if Fred is going to discipline Serena in front of June.

If so that is going to cause one heck of an explosion after the fact.

If Fred is going to basically punish Serena like a bad little girl in front of their handmaid, really demonstrating his control over her in front of June,  a figure that Serena has been desperate to hold power over, to dominate, to have fear her, that is going to certainly set off some fireworks.

Of course that may not be what unfolds but that’s what it looked like to me. 

Fred is a real asshole. And he can still walk dammit.

 And apparently Eden is playing the little snoop going through Nick’s belongings, she really is out to cause trouble. 

And baby Angela is not doing well, I wonder why ...  oh maybe it has something to do with her being ripped from the loving arms of her true mother and given to the most incompetent wife with zero maternal instincts on the block.

Serena created the monster Fred. You reap what you sow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

And baby Angela is not doing well, I wonder why ...  oh maybe it has something to do with her being ripped from the loving arms of her true mother and given to the most incompetent wife with zero maternal instincts on the block.

Here’s what baffles me . According to the previews, it seems the baby is sick and Serena is trying to convince them to help Angela but Fred wants to leave it in the hands of “God”. How does that make sense even for this show? They obviously have medical facilities, they were able to remove a hand surgically woth anesthesia , remove a clitoris in a sterile and safe environment, they have prenatal appointments for June and sonograms to check on the fetus’s health, but all of sudden they won’t use modern medicine to help a sick baby cause it goes against the Bible? That makes absolutely NO SENSE!!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Here’s what baffles me . According to the previews, it seems the baby is sick and Serena is trying to convince them to help Angela but Fred wants to leave it in the hands of “God”. How does that make sense even for this show? They obviously have medical facilities, they were able to remove a hand surgically woth anesthesia , remove a clitoris in a sterile and safe environment, they have prenatal appointments for June and sonograms to check on the fetus’s health, but all of sudden they won’t use modern medicine to help a sick baby cause it goes against the Bible? That makes absolutely NO SENSE!!!!!

 

I couldn’t agree with you more. It does not make sense, not an iota.

Angela, so far, is the first baby born viable and living in some time. We have seen gatherings with the wives and handmaids and very, very few have children. 

To me it is just another example that the regime is not baby forward in the slightest.

They proved that first and foremost when they took Angela from Janine in the first place. She was clearly thriving in her care, and even after the bridge incident they should have cared more about the baby’s development and overall health and well-being than giving that shrew of a wife her own “living baby doll” to play with.

All they needed was to separate Janine from that toxic household and focus on her and the baby, after all a healthy handmaid producing healthy children is the ultimate goal, or so they love to preach. 

But no, these idiots just didn’t care, didn’t think about what was best for the child, but then again when do they ever really? What do they even care about?

They want to use the always trustworthy “pray it away” method of so called healing, yet how many tubes were running out of Fred’s pitiful body in that hospital room. Those IVs were not delivering mere bible verses of good will. 

The hypocrisy of this group is almost mystifying. 

But what I also see happening is that I think they are using the “only the strongest will survive” mentality to decide which children really will make it in Gilead society.

If Angela’s tiny body is too weak to survive without medical intervention, then they’re going to let her die, because potentially she is going to be more of a burden in their eyes than an asset.

They are weeding out unhealthy children because they see them as not being worthwhile. 

IMO they are running their operation just like a livestock breeding program, it’s not about a life, any life, all life is important and sacred, it’s about the bottom dollar and a healthy kid is the only kind worth keeping. 

Of course the actual episode may play out differently, heh, and I might be totally off track.  

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, GraceK said:

Here’s what baffles me . According to the previews, it seems the baby is sick and Serena is trying to convince them to help Angela but Fred wants to leave it in the hands of “God”. How does that make sense even for this show? They obviously have medical facilities, they were able to remove a hand surgically woth anesthesia , remove a clitoris in a sterile and safe environment, they have prenatal appointments for June and sonograms to check on the fetus’s health, but all of sudden they won’t use modern medicine to help a sick baby cause it goes against the Bible? That makes absolutely NO SENSE!!!!!

No it doesn't...but I have seen people in real life reject vaccines for their kids on religious grounds as it interferes with their relationship with God and God will decide whether or not their children should get these diseases - BUT when their kid comes in with pertussis, all forms of treatment are completely acceptable, just not something that might prevent the problem altogether!

People can use any religion to selectively justify whatever they want, and it doesn't have to be internally consistent.

Edited by secnarf
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2018 at 11:40 PM, AnswersWanted said:

 I thought I heard a sharp crackle of some kind

Fred takes off his belt prior and it hitting someone with it.  Either SJ, or Nick. 

I have a feeling Baby Angela isn't doing well because Naomi Putnam did something to make her sick. Not an ounce of proof, just speculation. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, secnarf said:

No it doesn't...but I have seen people in real life reject vaccines for their kids on religious grounds as it interferes with their relationship with God and God will decide whether or not their children should get these diseases

I think this explanation is right on. Remember that the leaders of Gilead also seem to oppose things like fertility treatments, egg donation, etc., so they have some ideas about what the limits of medical treatment should be. The most invasive and terrible procedures (amputations, FGM) are reserved for people labeled "sinners."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

No it doesn't...but I have seen people in real life reject vaccines for their kids on religious grounds as it interferes with their relationship with God and God will decide whether or not their children should get these diseases - BUT when their kid comes in with pertussis, all forms of treatment are completely acceptable, just not something that might prevent the problem altogether!

People can use any religion to selectively justify whatever they want, and it doesn't have to be internally consistent.

 

 

I personally know of some people who actually resisted all manner of medical intervention when their kids were sick, sometimes even dying. I always feel so awful for these poor children because they get no say, they don’t have a choice. Religious zealots are not those who rely on logic or critical thinking. 

But in my head, when you are in the midst of an ongoing fertility epidemic, you know healthy children are scarce and rare, then why wouldn’t you do whatever necessary to help them? 

I could understand Gilead thinking that it’s up to god if they had a lot more kids and healthy pregnancies were the norm, like today. But they don’t have that luxury, so why even dare take the risk of losing one life you may not be able to replace for months, maybe even years.

Then again I don’t think anything about Gilead makes sense so, heh, why start now. 

 

Quote

 

Fred takes off his belt prior and it hitting someone with it.  Either SJ, or Nick. 

I have a feeling Baby Angela isn't doing well because Naomi Putnam did something to make her sick. Not an ounce of proof, just speculation. 

 

 

Good catch, wow, so he is going old school with the home belt beating. 

I would not put it past that wicked witch to have done something.  Last season I thought she would be guilty of harming the baby, that woman just seems like she shouldn’t be trusted to care for a potted cactus. 

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Janine's back in Gilead.

If her baby is sick and will die without medical care?  We may see changes in Janine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

 

I personally know of some people who actually resisted all manner of medical intervention when their kids were sick, sometimes even dying. I always feel so awful for these poor children because they get no say, they don’t have a choice. Religious zealots are not those who rely on logic or critical thinking. 

But in my head, when you are in the midst of an ongoing fertility epidemic, you know healthy children are scarce and rare, then why wouldn’t you do whatever necessary to help them? 

I could understand Gilead thinking that it’s up to god if they had a lot more kids and healthy pregnancies were the norm, like today. But they don’t have that luxury, so why even dare take the risk of losing one life you may not be able to replace for months, maybe even years.

Then again I don’t think anything about Gilead makes sense so, heh, why start now.

I also know people who have made that choice. However, the people I am referring to are not (always) what I would consider a religious zealot. Just last week I had a family refuse to immunize their child on religious grounds, and that child is currently receiving intensive care for other issues. They are a lovely family. They have beliefs I disagree with and they are making decisions I disagree with, but they obviously care about and love their child very much. Certainly better parents than many others. I also get the feeling that they genuinely believe that vaccines will harm their relationship with God and have long-lasting consequences into the afterlife for their kids, rather than using religion as an excuse while their real reasons for not vaccinating are non-religious.

It's a tough situation to be in as a healthcare provider, especially because I am personally very anti-religion (the whole concept of it) and pro-vaccines. But I also recognize that I can't argue with their religion - I'm not going to 'convert' them - and trying will likely ruin the whole relationship.

Anyways, I feel like Gilead is just selectively picking and choosing, and religious justification will never make sense or be logical (at least, not to me).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

If you slow down the preview for the next episode, you can see June and Janine standing on the other side of the glass where baby Angela is. Janine is pressing her body to the glass and June is comforting her. A few glimpses after are the two people with weights attached to them, sinking to the bottom of a pool.  There are, I think, crosses floating. One is a man with dark pants and shoes and the other is a female, no shoes and what looks to be a white gown, or slip. I think that might be the Putnams. Again, the Putnam thing is speculation. They've been sitting it up since last season about how the baby annoys Naomi, Serena is always talking about how Naomi complains about being up all night and doesn't really know how to care for an infant. Something is strange in the neighborhood. 

Edited by DuckyinKy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

If you slow down the preview for the next episode, you can see June and Janine standing on the other side of the glass where baby Angela is. Janine is pressing her body to the glass and June is comforting her. A few glimpses after are the two people with weights attached to them, sinking to the bottom of a pool.  There are, I think, crosses floating. One is a man with dark pants and shoes and the other is a female, no shoes and what looks to be a white gown, or slip. I think that might be the Putnams. Again, the Putnam thing is speculation. They've been sitting it up since last season about how the baby annoys Naomi, Serena is always talking about how Naomi complains about being up all night and doesn't really know how to care for an infant. Something is strange in the neighborhood. 

I’ve said in another post that Naomi is gonna harm that baby. I have to say if that baby dies next week I need to see Her pay for it. I don’t know much longer I can stick with this show to a honest...it’s just to much after while. It never lets up ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×