Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The main thing I took away from tonight's show is that as much as I want to like World of Dance, I can't. Why is there qualifying anyway? Everyone seems to make it! I did enjoy the tappers because I really enjoy tapping and they were different from most of the other dancers. I can do without almost all of the children's acts...let them have their childhood without all of the pressure. I watch this show in a very short time since I FF through everything but the dancing so I will probably watch it to the end. I remember last year when the show was announced and how excited I was....not anymore. Although I know lots of DWTS's fan will disagree with me but I would love for Derek would go back on the show. I miss seeing him dance weekly and I wish JoLo would just go away....wouldn't miss her at all. Have no real feelings about Neyo(is that even his name? I can't believe this will be back next year but who knows.

• Love 1

I liked Luka & Jenalyn, Alicia & Joseph, and MarInspired.  My favorite act was The JaM Project.

I hated the Cupcakes Dance Crew.  What everyone else said about them.  Their intro was so obnoxious and the OTT faces, trying to act bad ass and sexy, put me off.

I also hated the Quad Squad.  The HMV moves were too plentiful and in your face constantly.  Telling everyone they are strong and beautiful in the intro was irritating.

It's SUCH a tedious show and it does not have to be.  I don't understand.   

The judges often say useful things but when they are useless or cliche they are so useless that I can't bear watchign them in the hopes that this time it won't be useless.   All of them are so invested in appearing to be cool and super talented but seem to have missed the fact that the very definition of cool is that one doesn't care.

I cannot begin to describe how I feel about Jenna DT - she is just plain irritating ALWAYS. 

Then there's the fact that I really don't understand the process they are going through to "qualify" whereas on a show like SYTYCD, I've heard enough reports about what really goes on during qualifying that I don't find the process so out and out loathsome, although I still can't understand why we have to pretend it works differently from how it actually does work.  When is the genre "REAL reality shows" going to become a thing?  I mean, I do appreciate the 1984-ishness of there being a whole genre called reality shows which is exactly the opposite but I think I could stand having the actual qualifying process televised without dying of boredom.

And who made the decisions about all the repeating features such as locking the scores in?  What asinine dweeb thought that will work, then watched it, and then decided -- hey we'll go with that again for season 2 because it's super coolio?

Okay.  Rant done till next time.  

I liked Marinspired, but really I can't tell you why and I would have liked them a WHOLE lot more if I hadn't heard them talking beforehand (kinda applies to most contestants).  Alisa and Joseph were very cool to watch. I was pretty unmoved or turned off by nearly everybody else and the narratives they put together to make themselves appealing.

• Love 8

NOTE: The show moves to its new Wednesday time slot beginning with this episode!

The top qualifying acts from each division will choose a rival and face off in a head-to-head elimination duel. The judges will score each act based on their artistry, precision and athleticism, and the top scoring act from each duel will move forward in the competition.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, saber5055 said:

Was Dragon House part of THE Dragon House? Because if so, they weren't very good. I remember Dragon House guys being top notch.

Yeah, I was like "Dragon House is SO much better!".  I think that the really talented ones have gone on to better things so what's left is the bottom of the barrel. 

On 7/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

I hated the Cupcakes Dance Crew.  What everyone else said about them.  Their intro was so obnoxious and the OTT faces, trying to act bad ass and sexy, put me off.

I also hated the Quad Squad.  The HMV moves were too plentiful and in your face constantly.  Telling everyone they are strong and beautiful in the intro was irritating.

Yes and yes.  For the Cubcakes, their faces and trying to be sexy annoyed me to no end.  These are little girls!  No, just no.  It's an act and it looks like an act so it's disingenuous and obnoxious. 

With the way that Quad Squad (my first thought when they said their names- "there's way more than four of them!"  didn't even think of the muscle) was talking, I was half expecting their legs to be about three times their size when they panned back.  Yes, they're strong but they still look normal and not overly muscled to me.  I guess I just don't see what they're saying.  I've seen a lot of dancers over the years between this show and SYTYCD and they just looked the same as most of the other girls I've seen.  

19 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I cannot begin to describe how I feel about Jenna DT - she is just plain irritating ALWAYS. 

It's just Jenna D now.  I actually like her.  I don't know.  She is a dancer, so it's not like she doesn't know what she's talking about.  She's positive and enthusiastic with the dancers, which I like.  

• Love 3

I think a lot of why I don't like her (Jenna D) is due to her striking physical similarity to the useless SYTYCD judge Vanessa Hudgens.  The rest of why I don't like her isn't her fault necessarily and is down to the constant cliched-narrative building she has to do.  Cat's the only person who can make that tolerable for me -- all the others are WAY too obvious.

(edited)

Round 7 of the qualifiers? 7 rounds. Why? Who thought we wanted to watch these not suspenseful everyone gets through anyway except wait, not you. Randomly. But everyone else is through for seven episodes? 

I felt like the Cubcakes learned everything wrong about dance from watching TV and thought, that's what we need to do! Something lost in translation. I did like the broken neck split though. 

I'm burnt out. 10 minutes later and the groups are forgotten. No one has been as good as the judges say. I'm happy they are not being as generous with the over 90 scores this season as they were last. 

Edited by Lyinfait
  • Love 2
On 7/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, saber5055 said:

It's the non-embarrassing short-cut way to say "Here's my vagina" when the dancer sticks one leg up in the air for an extended period of time. I think it got started over on the SYTYCD thread.

??? That is funny! Makes perfect sense.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2018 at 12:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The Cubcakes were everything I loathe about children's competition dance groups - the constant overexaggrated OH MY faces, the sloppy tricks, having a million kids in the group, and obviously being coached that bigger is better in every move.

Good lord. It was like Toddlers and Tiaras on crack. I hated the routine those children did so much. I actually wondered if having this kind of early training (the stupid faces, the exaggerated bullshittery) wouldn't hurt them if they decided to pursue dance. I could imagine they would have a lot of bad habits to unlearn.

• Love 6
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, jcbrown said:

Good lord. It was like Toddlers and Tiaras on crack. I hated the routine those children did so much. I actually wondered if having this kind of early training (the stupid faces, the exaggerated bullshittery) wouldn't hurt them if they decided to pursue dance. I could imagine they would have a lot of bad habits to unlearn.

Also hated them.  Unfortunately, they are encouraged to make those stupid faces during competitions.  I hate competition dancing.  It's all about the tricks, faces, and the politics of which studio performed and who choreographed your routine.  Hate when kids act too sexy when they're young and usually think the costumes are too skimpy.  Don't remember Cubcakes costumes so can't comment on theirs. 

This show is tiring.  Like others, these qualifying rounds seem so long.

• Love 1
(edited)

L&J - Upper (94+89+88=90.3)

Morning of Owl - Upper (82+86+84=84)

Funkywunks - Upper Team (89+87+85=87)

The Pulse - Junior Team (78+84+79=80.3)

Avery & Marcus - Junior (85+83+84=84)

Pursuit - Upper Team (86+89+86=87)

Victoria Caban - Junior (89+93+90=90.7)

Digital exclusives aka acts not shown during the episode and their average scores:

Angyil - Upper (85.3)

3 Xtreme - Junior (83.3)

Dem Raider Boyz - Junior Team (84)

GirlCool - Junior Team (81.7)

Iowa Girlz - Junior Team (87.3)

LilKillaz Crew - Junior Team (83)

Opus Dance Collective - Upper Team (80.7)

Second to None - Junior (82.7)

Tribe Unleashed - Junior Team (83)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

My favorite act was actually Pursuit.  Watching dance choreography in between the beats and the music is incredibly impressive.  Its incredibly hard to dance within the resting parts of the music.  They all must have a good sense of internal rhythm.  

Angyil is one of my favorites as well.  I love hip hop/ballet fusion.

• Love 3

My tv croaked yesterday so I was counting on ElectricBoogaloo posting the dances. And no kidding, there are a ton of them. WTHeck, show! Anyway, I'm just watching the dances, stopping the clips after just a bit of the judges speaking. Plus, of course, haven't seen any backstories or sob stories.

I liked L+J. But why do dance couple have to be real couples. Glad the guy also has a boyfriend.

I LOVED the Owl group. Maybe my favorite group ever on this show. But why does JLo have to put a name to their style? Why not just make it Owl Style and leave it at that.

Funkywunk. Man, they looked boring and common after the Owl guys. Did a couple cool moves but I'd say no to them.

The Pulse. Entertaining, but reminded me of The Troupe doing commercial comebacks on DWTS. It's not easy being a ballroom troupe group. Watched long enough to see them all fangirling (even the boys) over Derek actually APPROACHING them! And dancing (sort of)!

Avery & Marcus. I was distracted by her round plastic skirt. And WAY too much HMV for me. I laughed when both of them struck a ballet standing pose at the end, to receive their critiques. (I liked that.)

Pursuit. I could be in this group. Which should tell you what I thought of them. Because I am no dancer.

Angyil. I liked the jogging pants under the ballet tutu at the beginning, then she surprised us.

Xtreme: Eh.   Raider Boyz: No music but I guess it wasn't needed.  GirlCool: Hated them. My grannie could outdance them.   IowaGirlz: Hated them. HMV x 5. Didn't even finish watching.  

Then ... since none of the links from Raider Boyz on had music, I hurried through them. Even without the music I sort of liked the tappers. But otherwise, most I didn't finish watching.

(edited)

Pours one out for Lil Motormouth, Andrew Eccles, LULAS, Dollhouse Dance Factory, Tustin Dance Team, 6 Feet Deep, Brooklyn Dancesport Club, Club House (boo! I wanted to see some swing fusion), & ThaMost. Despite a never ending amount of qualifier episodes, you 9 acts managed to get eliminated without ever being seen or possibly passed forward to the duels (for fodder purposes only) without ever being seen.

In watching the full auditions from the montage madness on Ytube, I was really impressed with the tap trio Second to None, and I actually liked GirlCool. I liked how stylized it was, and the glasses gave it a little bit of an alien feel. They also didn't feel the need to dance as frantically as the vast majority of advancing acts.

ETA: Apparently I'm not as dance sophisticated as Derek (kidding, of course I'm not) going on and on about the amazing "counter rhythms" of Pursuit, because I did not get them at all. It just seemed so aimless for parts of their routine. I wouldn't have put them above an 80. I also wouldn't have put Pulse above an 80 either. Except for that one extended 8 person samba roll they just didn't seem to bring anything new to the table for a group ballroom audition piece.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Pours one out for Lil Motormouth, Andrew Eccles, LULAS, Dollhouse Dance Factory, Tustin Dance Team, 6 Feet Deep, Brooklyn Dancesport Club, Club House (boo! I wanted to see some swing fusion), & ThaMost. Despite a never ending amount of qualifier episodes, you 9 acts managed to get eliminated without ever being seen or possibly passed forward to the duels (for fodder purposes only) without ever being seen.

Right! I know no one would want yet another qualifier, but they could at least acknowledge that they existed within the show by posting their performances on YouTube. Some of those, I would have liked to have seen, even if they are clearly not advancing. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, A.Ham said:

Right! I know no one would want yet another qualifier, but they could at least acknowledge that they existed within the show by posting their performances on YouTube. Some of those, I would have liked to have seen, even if they are clearly not advancing. 

I agree. If they’re going to show the four groups who got cut in the first seven episodes, why not the others who didn’t qualify for the duels? 

• Love 4

If anyone believes that Karen y Ricardo chose to duel Luka & Jenalyn out of their own free will, well I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to discuss with you.

And then, Eva Igo is actually out (for now?) after the Duels. Along with returnees Luka & Jenalyn and The Untouchables (D'Angelo and Manny at least). Things that make you go, hmm...

Probably my favorite routine of the night was actually B-Dash and Konkrete. That was so, so good.

No real complaints as to winners and losers. Feel a little bit bad for the Rascals though. It hit them hard....and to score 94.3 and lose? I'll be surprised if that is topped for a losing score moving forward.

• Love 6
(edited)

Ah show, thank you for the extra hour, it gives me so much more to FF through

Surprised (but glad) that Eva Igo is gone, she only did one split spin in this routine, I bet she regrets it.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

If anyone believes that Karen y Ricardo chose to duel Luka & Jenalyn out of their own free will, well I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to discuss with you.

And then, Eva Igo is actually out (for now?) after the Duels. Along with returnees Luka & Jenalyn and The Untouchables (D'Angelo and Manny at least). Things that make you go, hmm...

Probably my favorite routine of the night was actually B-Dash and Konkrete. That was so, so good.

No real complaints as to winners and losers. Feel a little bit bad for the Rascals though. It hit them hard....and to score 94.3 and lose? I'll be surprised if that is topped for a losing score moving forward.

I also don't believe Eva chose to go up against Avery and Marcus.  Not because I really thought they were that much superior to Eva, based on their nerves showing and all of that, but there are several other younger soloists.  Why would she choose to go against a duo??  

When I was watching Eva perform, I felt like she was doing the same routine she had done too many times before.  Does she choreograph her own stuff?  She needs a real choreographer.  I like her dance ability, but there's so much more she can be doing. 

I really loved the duel between the Bradas and the Jam Project.  I loved how they both played up the duel aspects and kind of messed with each other, but they also seemed to really appreciate what the other team was doing.  I really like the Bradas more.  I kind of hate tap, but I liked the whole duel aspect of these two teams. 

I LOVED BDash & Konkrete.  The clown make-up creeped me right out from the beginning but besides that they also danced the hell out of that routine.  

Karen y Ricardo are just amazing to watch. 

The rest I didn't really care about. 

• Love 3

I totally cannot believe that I agreed with every winner. That never happens. Too funny that Eva Igo's duel was the last of the night, like we're all staying tuned just to see her, can't flip the channel early. Not. I was stunned -- and HAPPY -- that she got sent home.

I didn't care for the junior girl team stank eyeing the Korean (Chinese? Japanese?) "Sisters" group. I would have made them the loser just for that. The other competitors cheered on their duel partners. Well, all except the first ones to perform. Have already forgotten who that was. Show some grace and good sportsmanship, people!

Which reminds me, Eva flashed a really mean I'm-possessed-by-demons face while waiting for the scores, which made me think she's not so sweet, nice and "all that" IRL.

• Love 4

I forgot to mention this. I think BDash and Konkrete are too much like Les Twins. I didn't think Les Twins should have won last year, I don't want to see their doppelganger win this year.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, GaT said:

I forgot to mention this. I think BDash and Konkrete are too much like Les Twins. I didn't think Les Twins should have won last year, I don't want to see their doppelganger win this year.

I think they are completely different.  For one thing, Les Twins weren't krumpers.  I didn't like Les Twins at all and I didn't understand they hype.  I really like BDash and Konkrete.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't care for the junior girl team stank eyeing the Korean (Chinese? Japanese?) "Sisters" group. I would have made them the loser just for that. The other competitors cheered on their duel partners. Well, all except the first ones to perform. Have already forgotten who that was. Show some grace and good sportsmanship, people!

Which reminds me, Eva flashed a really mean I'm-possessed-by-demons face while waiting for the scores, which made me think she's not so sweet, nice and "all that" IRL.

Both sides were giving the "stink eye".  I think both teams agreed they would do that for showmanship, honestly.  I meant to say the same thing, though, about the teams cheering each other on.  I love how the team watching their competition would show some excitement and appreciation for the other team.  The first time was Karen y Ricardo.  Karen just looked dead eyed, but Ricardo did have a couple of "wow" reactions.  

But, yeah, Eva looked pissed.  She should be if she didn't actually choose her dual partner as some of suspect.  

• Love 8

Can these dancers not do math to compute the average score.  Esp the duo then went up against Eva.  They obviously won by looking at the individual scores but showed no emotion until the average was shown.

• Love 6

I don’t know when this was taped, but the World of Dance World Championships (the “real” competition from which this show came) are this weekend. I saw a preview video on Instagram Stories and Eva Igo is one of the competitors (along with a bunch of others who were or are on the show). Then again, should could have been this season's Jabbawockeez. 

(edited)

I actually agreed with the judges on every single team that went through, which never happens. I hated everyone last season who the judges decided to keep, so this is new for me, heh. We'll see how long it'll last. 

And I'm super happy Eva Igo was eliminated. I just don't think she's a dancer, a contortionist, a rhythmic gymnast, but not a dancer. She really needs a choreographer. The duo that went up against her on the other hand were great. I wasn't impressed with them in the qualifiers, but last night they really brought it. I actually rewatched their routine three times. So good. 

Edited by jewel21
typos
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

And I'm super happy Eva Igo was eliminated. I just don't think she's a dancer, a contortionist, a rhythmic gymnast, but not a dancer. She really needs a choreographer. 

I totally agree with you, & I've been wondering about her a bit. They acted like she was all that last year, & then they brought her back again this year which surprised me. Now, she's suddenly been eliminated. I have no idea how far in advance the show is recorded, but I wonder if they were maybe reading boards (like here) & discovered that even though they thought she was all that, the viewers didn't like her much, so they decided to eliminate her early.

(edited)

I figured out something tonight while I was watching....when they do the dumb thing showing  them pushing buttons(always the same buttons), I would really like to see the category scores. They do it on Iron Chef America and I would like to see it here. It would be interesting to see exactly what the judges think of the separate areas of dance. Am I crazy or would everyone like to see the breakdown?

Until recently, I never realized how many people have negative thoughts about clowns but Derek mentioned it from the get go. And BDash and Konkrete were amazing...it was a complete act...beginning, middle and end. The clown face matched the music and who ever "thunk" we would see krumping to Moonlight Sonata?

I also will not miss Eva...she does the same thing, over and over and over, ad nauseam.  And I am miserable at math and I can figure the average out in my head...down to the decimal point!!

And what the heck was JoLo wearing? Spangles with a tutu?

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 4
On 7/25/2018 at 2:56 AM, atlantaloves said:

The only dancer really loved was the 14 year old gal from Jersey doing flamenco.  Oy!

Loved her! And she’s only 14! I hope I see her again someday when she’s older.

• Love 1

A question.  Maybe it's my comcast DVR but when I pipe the audio through my AV receiver (via the optical output) the sound mix is awful.  It goes up and down in volume and is low during the actual performances and the louder during the judges comments.  Just using my TV's speakers the audio is move even.  Anyone having similar issues with the Dolby 5.1 feed?

I can't imagine why Eva Igo would choose to duel against a duet.  This seems a little unfair to me; what happened to the other single dancers to go up against?  I too am wondering if this is another fake aspect of these judging shows, and that she was told who to "choose" or given a very small choice.

I am not thrilled to see Eva Igo go home and I failed to notice any demon possession looks.  She seemed really sweet to me and rushed to hug the winners.  I wasn't a fan of her costume; it was too dull and the bottom looked like granny panties to me.  Avery and Marcus really stepped up their routine and gave a great performance.

I liked Bdash and Konkrete!  I'm not afraid of clowns or find them creepy, so that aspect was OK with me.  I loved their music choice:  Moonlight Sonata.

I loved both Bradas and The JaM Project performances.  I wish there could have been a tie score!  It's a shame one of them had to go home.

I hope Eva Igo can work on more dance moves and come back again.  She's too young to just be thrown away at this point.

Not a fan of JLo's fashion choices.

• Love 2
(edited)

Luka & Jenalyn (90+92+95=92.3)

Eva Igo (94+91+91=92)

Fabulous Sisters (95+96+96=95.7)

BDash & Konkrete (95+94+94=94.3)

Michael Dameski (95+94+95=94.7)

Angyil (90+87+88=88.3)

Expressenz (93+95+94=94)

Avery & Marcus (95+93+92=93.3)

Karen y Ricardo (97+99+99=98.3)

Rascals (97+94+92=94.3)

JaM Project (86+88+91=88.3)

Untouchables (89+89+90=89.3)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Eva does need a new choreographer, but as a dancer she is a full package. She is a far superior dancer to most on that show with incredible technique. Choreographers are very expensive, but she needs to invest in her future. Many of us have watched and met her at various dance competitions and she is a very sweet gracious competitor. Shame on anyone saying anything negative about her character!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Tracer said:

Eva does need a new choreographer, but as a dancer she is a full package. She is a far superior dancer to most on that show with incredible technique. Choreographers are very expensive, but she needs to invest in her future. Many of us have watched and met her at various dance competitions and she is a very sweet gracious competitor. Shame on anyone saying anything negative about her character!

Finally watched this weekend.  Agreed with the judges' choices.  I've never met Eva but I was going to say that she just needs a new choreographer.  Her technique is excellent.  Avery was a contestant on SYTYCD Next Generation.  She and her partner just had nerves during qualifiers.  At this point, a lot of the junior dancers have just as good of technique as the adults.  The other junior group with really good technique is the one that went against the Untouchables.

• Love 1

I'm really tired of the Latin bias on this show. Any act of Latin origin seems to score 6-12 points higher than what they deserve. Jennifer is likely the ringleader and has instructed her cohorts to follow suit in judging if they want to keep their seats (in my head). Karen y Ricardo have been the beneficiaries of this bias. I'm shocked that no one mentioned the two fumbles in their routine when (1) Ricardo was lumbering to lift his partner and (2) messed up his hand positioning and nearly flubbed. That shows how much prejudice their is. Like last year, I suspect they may be the predetermined winner's of this so called "reality" dance competition.

Also tired of Eva Igo and her routines. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Very little actually changes from one number to another. She needs a new dance instructor/choreographer so that talent of hers can be put to use and she can actually grow as a dancer. Right now she's doing variations of the same gymnastics floor routine with a few angsty contemporary gestures thrown in.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Rahul said:

I'm really tired of the Latin bias on this show. Any act of Latin origin seems to score 6-12 points higher than what they deserve. Jennifer is likely the ringleader and has instructed her cohorts to follow suit in judging if they want to keep their seats (in my head). Karen y Ricardo have been the beneficiaries of this bias. I'm shocked that no one mentioned the two fumbles in their routine when (1) Ricardo was lumbering to lift his partner and (2) messed up his hand positioning and nearly flubbed. That shows how much prejudice their is. Like last year, I suspect they may be the predetermined winner's of this so called "reality" dance competition.

Also tired of Eva Igo and her routines. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Very little actually changes from one number to another. She needs a new dance instructor/choreographer so that talent of hers can be put to use and she can actually grow as a dancer. Right now she's doing variations of the same gymnastics floor routine with a few angsty contemporary gestures thrown in.

Yes, you reminded me that Ricardo had a very difficult time lifting Karen during the shoulder press.  I thought one of the judges was going to say something especially Neyo.  He told Denys to lift weights last year.  I've previously commented that it seems that Latin groups get extra points especially from JLo.  At least, I do like Karen y Ricardo better than Swing Latino.  Last year, the latter looked like a mess most of the time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

Yes, you reminded me that Ricardo had a very difficult time lifting Karen during the shoulder press.  I thought one of the judges was going to say something especially Neyo.  He told Denys to lift weights last year.  I've previously commented that it seems that Latin groups get extra points especially from JLo.  At least, I do like Karen y Ricardo better than Swing Latino.  Last year, the latter looked like a mess most of the time.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they're not excellent dancers but I was flabbergasted at how partial the judging was with a complete failure to mention how Ricardo struggled and visibly messed up two of the the lifts. Like you, I can appreciate Karen y Ricardo while I couldn't stand Swing Latino last year.

• Love 1