Type keyword(s) to search

Season 19 Live Feed Discussion

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, wings707 said:

She was excited about a 'what if' Cody told her.  That depends on neither of them going this week!  Not going to happen.  Mark and Elena stepped up to play the game way too late. 

Yes I know but...sigh...wouldn't it be 'lovely'!  I tried and could not even come up with how it could happen.  They are all tied to Paul!

Ok I'm curious.  Do we usually hate all the house guests at this time in the show or is this season different?  The reason I am wondering is could they pull something to get rid of Paul?  Or does the game just play out weather we like it or not.  I have watched 19 seasons but can't remember.

• Love 2

Is it wrong that I want the guys in the production booth to troll Alex all day long? As soon as she puts away the tent and accessories, I want that bugle to play. Over and over and over. I don't even care about the wasting of the hot dogs. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Is it wrong that I want the guys in the production booth to troll Alex all day long? As soon as she puts away the tent and accessories, I want that bugle to play. Over and over and over. I don't even care about the wasting of the hot dogs. 

If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Holy shit Alex is as hideous on the inside as she is on the outside. 

From around the 2:40ish mark of the video:

Jason: "Are you even from Iowa?"
Cody, very quietly: "Oh my gosh."
Alex: "How's your kid. Do ya have one?"
Cody: "Guys [or Alex, his mouth was full of Honey Nut Chex lol], can you just quit talking to me?"
Alex: "No, because if you want us to hate you, we're gonna make you hate us even more."
loud bang like someone smacking the counter

Like really. If you want us to hate you (because Cody said before that that he didn't care if everyone hated him or didn't want to be friends with him outside the house, he doesn't give a shit), we're gonna make you hate us even more.

Oh, Alex. I don't think it's possible. I'm pretty sure Cody's cup of hate for you overfloweth at this point. 

But it's totes about the Honey Nut Chex, right?

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Cutty said:

Mark has a good shot at veto though, especially if it's the clown shoe comp.

Oh, agreed, he has a good shot of avoiding going home (especially because I wouldn't be shocked if other people want Elena out over him). I just doubt he wins HoH. 

EDITED TO ADD: Actually, now that I mention it, who cares that people would want her out? Paul doesn't want her out, so she's safe.

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yes I know but...sigh...wouldn't it be 'lovely'!  I tried and could not even come up with how it could happen.  They are all tied to Paul!

Ok I'm curious.  Do we usually hate all the house guests at this time in the show or is this season different?  The reason I am wondering is could they pull something to get rid of Paul?  Or does the game just play out weather we like it or not.  I have watched 19 seasons but can't remember.

Honestly, we all usually ARE sick of most of the HGs by this point. Mark basically being the one okay guy is roughly the same ratio as every year. The big deal this season is that they have been harsher than normal, so the hate is more ACUTE this year, but the hate ratio is basically the same as always. 

And yeah, the disconnect that Alex and Christmas, in particular, have going on about their behavior is nuuuuuuuuuuts.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

What's even more disturbing is how when Alex taunts him about the kid, she starts smiling a huge, happy smile. It's as if this is the highpoint of her life, "going there" about someone;s kid.

It's really no different from the predatory look that my cat gets when I pull his favourite wand toy, Birdo, off the shelf and start twitching it on the ground. It's the look of a predator seeing a weak spot from their prey and hoping they're good or fast enough to deliver the killing blow.

And yes, my cat's toys have nicknames. Don't judge. I have no children but I'm at a point in my life where I feel the need to baby something and the husband is a fully grown independent adult. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 11
25 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Cody: "Guys [or Alex, his mouth was full of Honey Nut Chex lol], can you just quit talking to me?"
Alex: "No, because if you want us to hate you, we're gonna make you hate us even more."

Like really. If you want us to hate you (because Cody said before that that he didn't care if everyone hated him or didn't want to be friends with him outside the house, he doesn't give a shit), we're gonna make you hate us even more.

Oh, Alex. I don't think it's possible. I'm pretty sure Cody's cup of hate for you overfloweth at this point. 

Damn there was a lot of cereal in that bowl - Cody ate non-stop for 10 minutes and was still going strong - perfect excuse for not answering any questions - shouldn't talk with your mouth full!

• Love 2

If I were Cody after the show I'd actually be angriest at Kevin. Because in a moment of loneliness he confided something very personal to Kevin and Kevin blabbed to the entire house and now they are ganging up on him and using his daughter just to get a reaction. And Kevin;s never apologized or expressed remorse for what he did. Awful person.

• Love 17
50 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Bet Cody's admiration for Alex in the beginning is nice and dried up by now.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Yuck!  I have never purchased a big box of cereal.  When I was a kid, I would pick out the lucky charms and leave most of the rest of it behind :)

Points for the convenience factor.

Fun fact: you can buy just the marshmallows now! Normally found in like bulk food stores that Amish and Mennonite families run. 

1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Without seeing the clip yet, I took that to mean Kevin was worried Cody would throw punches -- not that Kevin wanted to start something.

To me it sounded like they would get so fed up with Cody in jury that they would want to fight him if they could.  They expect Cody to be a complete asshole in jury. Which he very well might be because of the way he's asshole treat him. 

For codys sake I hope the rumors of HGs being sequestered to rooms in jury is true. 

• Love 2

Who really cares about how "tortured" Cody is? He never gave a damn about anyone's feelings other than Jessica (when he was talking over her as a controlling abuser).

As a fan of "the game", I want someone who can control and puppet and fuck with people. I like Dick, Derrick, Paul, Dan. It's just petty entertainment saltiness that makes me get in my feelings about people's emotions and bullying and all that other bullshit. 

BB is a game. I like people who play to win. If I wanted to deal with a morality play and get outraged, I can turn on the news. If I want to see a ruthless winner, I turn on this show, and support those who answer the question correctly..."would you rather win and be hated or lose and be loved?"

You play games to win. Paul is playing to win. Yeah, he's a shitty person, but me supporting transphobic, racist Cody just because I'm mad Paul is ruthless doesn't make my choices better. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, gunderda said:

Fun fact: you can buy just the marshmallows now! Normally found in like bulk food stores that Amish and Mennonite families run. 

Thanks!  I've outgrown the marshmallows, but I'm going to my Amish market tomorrow for some hot dogs.  I never thought to buy them there before :)

Alex might be good for one teensy little thing.

• Love 1

Why are the feeds gonna be down longer then usual between Thursday & Friday? Isn't Friday just a taped show with some picnic in the backyard with a pre-evicted Jessica? I paying a fridkin $5.99 a month for those stupid feeds and I want my f'ing live feeds. LOL!!!

I have been enjoying the conversation in the rose room with Cody, Mark and Elena.  They talked about their lives.  Cody sung the praises of Paisley's mother and a little of his life in Iowa.  She lives right down the road from his parents and they get to see her all the time. 

3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Why are the feeds gonna be down longer then usual between Thursday & Friday? Isn't Friday just a taped show with some picnic in the backyard with a pre-evicted Jessica? I paying a fridkin $5.99 a month for those stupid feeds and I want my f'ing live feeds. LOL!!!

They are have a special deal with a band, I think, food etc.  Akin to the fair with Ziggy Marley last year.  Jessica will not be anywhere.  She cannot have any contact with jury members.  She is out. 

Not to mention dan and derrick did not play a game anywhere near close to Paul and Dick. To me they are far superior because they didn't have to break people down by attacking and mentally assaulting them. 

• Love 18
32 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I have been enjoying the conversation in the rose room with Cody, Mark and Elena.  They talked about their lives.  Cody sung the praises of Paisley's mother and a little of his life in Iowa.  She lives right down the road from his parents and they get to see her all the time. 

They are have a special deal with a band, I think, food etc.  Akin to the fair with Ziggy Marley last year.  Jessica will not be anywhere.  She cannot have any contact with jury members.  She is out. 

Jessica was & will be there. They are just editing her out. It's the same thing they did with Paulie. I know there is a band & food (saw the live feeds) I just don't get them being down longer before Saturday. 

• Love 1

Raven to Matt while they are holed up in Alex's HOH room:  "Best thing about HOH week is you can lock the door."  Considering that Matt and Raven have made themselves at home in the HOH room during just about everyone's HOH, I wonder how everyone else would react if Matt or Raven won HOH and actually locked the door to the HOH room.  Reason number eleventy billion that Alex should be keeping the HOH door locked to keep Matt and Raven out of there:  They started making out while Raven was sitting on Alex's bed.

• Love 3

You know I just remembered: Evel Dick said some of the vilest things ever to Jen in BB8. And Jen certainly lost it towards the end (destroying his cigarettes) but not once did she ever "go there" and question his parenting skills. This is just so when the HG's get out of the house and they're called to the carpet about this we don't buy their "oh it was a stressful environment" bullshit. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

It's nice to hear a little bit more about Paisley and her mom. I like the part where he was saying that Paisley's mom and him just didn't work out, even though they tried, and how he wishes for her to get into a good relationship. It really does sound like their relationship ended amicably. Cody also really seems to detest the idea of an asshole dad (when he's talking about a girl he used to date who had a kid and the kid's dad was a total ass to the girl). Meanwhile, in the other rooms, Jason, Kevin and others are probably talking about how bad of a dad Cody must be (I mean, I assume they talk about it at least twice a day). 

Heh. I just glanced at the feeds to a sleeping Marlena with Cody sitting in a chair in the room. Ahh, peace and quiet. Also, BB not calling them out because maybe they're giving these three a break from the abuse and bullying. 

Oh, and I saw Christmas making her typical Stank Face. Of course she's bitching about Jess/Cody/Mark/Elena. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, lunastartron said:

Yes, Big Brother is a game, which is why there is a substantive and stark difference between Cody's generally poor social skills and the ongoing, deeply personal sadism of the rest of the cast toward him. And, ergo, why there is such a disparity between viewer response toward those very different variations of behavior.

Cody has been reactive at times ... about the game and the actions of the other a houseguests within that game. He has never targeted and/or attacked anyone based upon their children, their lives outside the house, suggested that Christmas never overcame addiction, contended that Alex lied about her cousin's rape and murder, or done anything analogous to the profoundly warped and morally deviant salvos that others have lobbed against him.

He has never attempted to deliberately incite physical violence in order to get anyone ejected from the game.

He has, at times, been rude, blunt, curt, and antisocial ... all of which have had pretty much no deleterious impact on anyone other than himself. And why does this cast care if he spent all of his time alone and/or with Jessica when they have explicitly stated he's evil, not a good guy, a military imposter, and/or that they fear for their physical safety around him? 

And this show sure is entertainment; it's also real people. Otherwise, Cody's transphobic statements wouldn't be problematic. It doesn't go both ways in which reprehensible harassment with the stated and express intention to cause physical harm and psychological meltdowns are just a silly television show while casual/institutional ignorance is the gravest transgression anyone associated with this program has committed*. This is all horrible, disturbing conduct by real people against other people.

* Yes, Cody's language and remarks about "trannies" were offensive. They were also broad-scope ignorance rather than calibrated, specific hate directed on a person-to-person level. He didn't, for example, attempt to humiliate and demean Ramses because he was gay or Alex because she was Asian. Does that make his commentary about "trannies" better? No, the remarks were bad enough but it does make his ignorance and moral failings quite divergent from what has been done to him since his return to the house. 

** What did Cody do that was "racist"? 

*** Somehow, a controlling abuser is not the impression I get of someone when they're literally crying in bed for hours at a time because their girlfriend is displeased with them yet hasn't even raised her voice. 

All my subjective opinion. 

* re: trannies...He made these comments, on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS, separated by days/weeks, not out of ignorance, but knowing they were offensive, and stating something along the lines of "whose side will they take, a marine infantryman or the .001% who believe in this?" He knew what he was saying and relied on his demographic to shield him from critique. Knowing abuse. For hate speech examples (using US law) You don't have to call someone a nigger to their face to know saying "those niggers" is wrong, calibrated, specific hate speech. Substitute "tranny" it's the same thing. If you say it generally, it can be constituted as saying it to an individual. 

** He went to the Ferguson protests (based on racist police brutality) for sport. What person who is concerned about human life or race relations in the US would go to a potential race riot to "see if they could survive?" Trashbox racists who counted on being protected for being white, that's who. What POC would go there for sport?

*** abusers break down if their subject will be out of their control. In how many instances did Cody speak OVER Jessica when others were trying to talk to her (not in a confrontational manner..like Josh in the bathroom) and say "we don't want to hear it" or similar without allowing Jessica to speak for herself. Just because he cried doesn't mean he didn't speak for her or try to control her. 

all my very objective statements.

Didn't Cody say he would attack Josh once they were outside the house? That doesn't seem very game related, all the while (as an abuser) denying Jessica her rights as an adult to speak up against the person with whom she had beef.

Let's be real. Paul's an asshole. Paul being an asshole doesn't mean that I should root for Cody and his racist, transphobic, most likely sexist ass. He can swallow rocks and choke and I wouldn't care less. Paul being shitty doesn't make Cody's trash ass more rootable.

Edited by neenyah
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's nice to hear a little bit more about Paisley and her mom. I like the part where he was saying that Paisley's mom and him just didn't work out, even though they tried, and how he wishes for her to get into a good relationship. It really does sound like their relationship ended amicably. Cody also really seems to detest the idea of an asshole dad (when he's talking about a girl he used to date who had a kid and the kid's dad was a total ass to the girl). Meanwhile, in the other rooms, Jason, Kevin and others are probably talking about how bad of a dad Cody must be (I mean, I assume they talk about it at least twice a day). 

Heh. I just glanced at the feeds to a sleeping Marlena with Cody sitting in a chair in the room. Ahh, peace and quiet. Also, BB not calling them out because maybe they're giving these three a break from the abuse and bullying. 

Oh, and I saw Christmas making her typical Stank Face. Of course she's bitching about Jess/Cody/Mark/Elena. 

Yes.  When Elena left the room I checked the HOH cam.  They were gathered trashing those who were not there.  I quickly switched back.  I am going to miss those 3 when they go and they will, 1...2...3.   Two tomorrow. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Michichick said:

Opinion is subjective.

I'm no fan of Cody, but I still wanted to see him get the better of the other assholes in the house.

I agree.  In another season we probably would have disliked him. 

• Love 6
Just now, Michichick said:

Opinion is subjective.

I'm no fan of Cody, but I still wanted to see him get the better of the other assholes in the house.

I'm the same. I saw that clip of him reacting to Raven's story about him rejecting her, based on not being able to have children. There was something so spontaneous and earnest about the way he said, "I would NEVER say that" -- it was clear that not only wouldn't it occur to him to say it, but that he couldn't fathom anyone being that cruel. 

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes.  When Elena left the room I checked the HOH cam.  They were gathered trashing those who were not there.  I quickly switched back.  I am going to miss those 3 when they go and they will, 1...2...3.   Two tomorrow. 

I am going to miss them too. Cody and Elena had a really nice talk. I'm happy the three of them are peacefully staying in that room. 

My sister only watches the broadcast shows and we were texting yesterday about BB and she wants Cody out and I told her that she isn't seeing the whole story. But, I have hope because she hates Paul.

Edited by Sandycat
  • Love 5
Just now, wings707 said:

I agree.  In another season we probably would have disliked him. 

This is what I don't understand (and it's not toward you personally).

Why can't we dislike his sexist, transphobic, antisocial, racist ass now? Why does it matter that Paul is in the house?

I struggle with this in BB yearly, so it's not a dig, but damn. Just because I can't stand one person, why do I have to "like" another? 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, neenyah said:

Why can't we dislike his sexist, transphobic, antisocial, racist ass now? Why does it matter that Paul is in the house?

I struggle with this in BB yearly, so it's not a dig, but damn. Just because I can't stand one person, why do I have to "like" another? 

For me, I need to have someone to root for if I'm going to watch a show like this. I don't like Cody, per se, but I utterly despise Paul and his crowd so Cody became my de facto rooting interest. I also think Mark should have gotten the boot for throwing pickle juice/hot sauce at that asshole Josh, but as long as Mark is in the house I'll hope for him to somehow get the better of Paul because I despise Paul that much. 

There's not a single person on this show that I'd want to be friends with because all of them have said or done  things I find repugnant.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, neenyah said:

I have seen his vulnerable side.  My heart responds to that.  They have been treating him with extreme hate and it is difficult to watch anyone be on the receiving end of that.  The meanness is the likes of which I have never seen, ever.  I cannot help but feel compassion for him.  He is not all bad, no one is.  

6 minutes ago, zorak said:

Jason is going to a wedding October 7th and his bull is the ring bearer.  Who thinks this stuff up?

The bride and groom!

Edited by wings707
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, neenyah said:

You don't. If you like to watch people like Paul, more power to you. Other people don't, though.

Like @Michichick said above, I like having someone to root for. And at the moment, to me, Cody is way less of the two evils. I know Cody has done some questionable things, but in the last few weeks, every time I turn on the feeds to him (and I have been watching him a lot), I haven't seen anything from him that makes me rage. Whereas I turn to the other people and I can't go 5 minutes without seeing one of them start in on Cody/Jess/Mark/Elena on a super personal level.

Obviously everyone — players and fans — decide what is and isn't acceptable to them on a game level, and for me, I really hate the bullying and the personal attacks and the mob mentality where they need to take down their target. I don't enjoy it at all, and on principle, it makes me want to root for the underdog, even if I wouldn't in other circumstances.

But that's just me. I don't expect other people to watch how I do.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, neenyah said:

I get it. Typically, I would have dropped him in a hot second. For this show, I've dropped people, become fans of them and then dropped them after a shitty comment. I can't quite explain why I'm personally not as angry with Cody as I would have been in previous seasons. Has he said some pretty awful things? Sure. I don't know; I guess I feel like he hasn't said those things in a hateful way? It's hard to explain without making it seem like I'm giving him a full pass. What it seems is that a lot of this behaviour comes out of ignorance. His transphobic comments suck; Jess even was disgusted by these comments and kept moving away from it as soon as Cody started. He definitely needs some lessons on tolerance and other areas. Maybe it's because he doesn't make those comments often and it's not just constant bashing. 

I also don't think he's racist. Again, very ignorant and very luckily privileged that he doesn't get why going to Ferguson is not some cool thing, but the guy is a war veteran. I think that behaviour comes from possible PTSD and that it's just the idea of fighting for something is fun for him. Again, totally wrong and he definitely needs to be talking to someone about that (if he hasn't already), but that's just my personal opinion.

I think ultimately why I still like Cody is that his game interests align with mine. His antisocial behaviour is something I relate to. It's why I could never go on this show, but they clearly saw something in this guy to bring him on. He has also shown a better side to him more than once. His genuine feelings for Jess, for one. I honestly thought that he would really be the tough, uncaring asshole who would just use whoever he was with and that he just wouldn't care about Jess at all. I especially thought this when the feeds were first turned on and we were starting to get to know the houseguests. But that changed over time when he really did fall for her and he opened up to her. He's shown a willingness to change and I think he has the ability with Jess' help. I don't live in America, so I don't know what kind of small town Cody grew up in and how that could have influenced some of his thought processes but Jess seems to be intolerant of intolerance, so I think she can whip him into shape, and he will listen to her. 

Unlike Paul, who likes playing mental warfare games because "it's just a game"....except this isn't some show or movie, with characters. There are genuine people behind it all who can only separate game from personal to a certain extent. These people aren't robots who can be reprogrammed after the show; they are real people having real feelings and real thoughts. This isolation, bullying, attacking, mob mentality bullshit could be fun for viewers...until you realize that they're doing these things to actual real life people. They're not characters at the end of it all. These people will walk out of here with this experience and it also goes to show if Paul can act like this in front of thousands of people, and even more if it's on the show, how does he act in the real world? 

So I think, to answer your question, it's because of who else is in the house with Cody that changes my perception and allows me to be a little more forgiving and willing to see that Cody can change. He's not a lost cause. A lot of these people aren't lost causes. Josh has done a lot of the bullying, but he's not a lost cause either. Jason's not a lost cause, even with his own transphobic comments. Kevin...well, I'm not sure about Kevin and his sexist comments, only because he's older and has six daughters. Christmas isn't a lost cause either. Paul...maybe be a lost cause, but only because this is the second season he's pulled this shit. 

I think that it helps that Cody actually hasn't bullied anyone consistently to the extent that Josh, Paul, Alex, Christmas and others have. I just don't think this was the right show for him; I think this might actually be the worst reality show for him to have chosen (well...The Bachelor(ette) probably would have been worse). This environment isn't built for an antisocial person like him. I think he's said shitty things and he should be held accountable, but I don't think he's a shitty person. There is a distinction for me. Maybe because I have family members (very close family members) who use misogynistic language and who use racist language, but they're genuinely not shitty people. 

I've learned that people are complex. What's important for me is being able to see the good along with the bad and determining if the bad outweighs the good. Is Cody transphobic? Maybe he is, but I don't think he knows a trans person in his life, and knowing one or two definitely helps (it's helped with me understanding them on a personal level, for sure). Is Cody sexist? No, I don't think he is. He respects a lot of the women like Alex and Jess and Elena as people. 

But that's my personal opinion and I totally respect your side and think you make some very good points. 

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, flipflopdiva said:

And at the moment, to me, Cody is way less of the two evils. I know Cody has done some questionable things, but in the last few weeks, every time I turn on the feeds to him (and I have been watching him a lot), I haven't seen anything from him that makes me rage. Whereas I turn to the other people and I can't go 5 minutes without seeing ..........

Obviously everyone — players and fans — decide what is and isn't acceptable to them ...........

LOL - Kind of like politics isn't it. You go to the polls, hold your nose and vote for the least objectionable candidate. Or at least vote for the candidate who didn't piss you off in the last week or so.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's nice to hear a little bit more about Paisley and her mom. I like the part where he was saying that Paisley's mom and him just didn't work out, even though they tried, and how he wishes for her to get into a good relationship. It really does sound like their relationship ended amicably

He might see it that way but I don't think his ex does. She wasn't happy when Cody started hooking up with Jessica 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, neenyah said:

Oh we can dislike them both!

For me, I watch the show purely for entertainment and Cody is more entertaining than the others. To tell you the truth, Cody's not even that entertaining; in another season, I think he would have just been tolerable for me. I don't like pandering - like Josh does. And I hate schmaltzy - like Paul does. So seeing Cody's realness, even when it's ugly sometimes, is just more relatable to me. Plus, his existence makes the others sooo angry, and that makes me laugh.

I read that he referred to Jessica as a half-breed once though. He also talks about superior genes. His comments are totally disgusting and I can't condone them. If he was in the outside world, he would probably be at a white nationalist rally right now so I can't with him. It's like watching a Tom Cruise movie. I watch him on the screen, but I wouldn't find him enjoyable in real life.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, neenyah said:

* re: trannies...He made these comments, on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS, separated by days/weeks, not out of ignorance, but knowing they were offensive, and stating something along the lines of "whose side will they take, a marine infantryman or the .001% who believe in this?" He knew what he was saying and relied on his demographic to shield him from critique. Knowing abuse. For hate speech examples (using US law) You don't have to call someone a nigger to their face to know saying "those niggers" is wrong, calibrated, specific hate speech. Substitute "tranny" it's the same thing. If you say it generally, it can be constituted as saying it to an individual. 

** He went to the Ferguson protests (based on racist police brutality) for sport. What person who is concerned about human life or race relations in the US would go to a potential race riot to "see if they could survive?" Trashbox racists who counted on being protected for being white, that's who. What POC would go there for sport?

*** abusers break down if their subject will be out of their control. In how many instances did Cody speak OVER Jessica when others were trying to talk to her (not in a confrontational manner..like Josh in the bathroom) and say "we don't want to hear it" or similar without allowing Jessica to speak for herself. Just because he cried doesn't mean he didn't speak for her or try to control her. 

all my very objective statements.

Didn't Cody say he would attack Josh once they were outside the house? That doesn't seem very game related, all the while (as an abuser) denying Jessica her rights as an adult to speak up against the person with whom she had beef.

Let's be real. Paul's an asshole. Paul being an asshole doesn't mean that I should root for Cody and his racist, transphobic, most likely sexist ass. He can swallow rocks and choke and I wouldn't care less. Paul being shitty doesn't make Cody's trash ass more rootable.

Interpretation and opinion are inherently subjective.

* Saying something generally and doing something specifically to an invidual is the entire basis of bigotry vs. casual/institutional bigotry. If there were no distinctions, the dichotomy and nuance wouldn't exist. The microcosm has never equaled the macrocosm, which is why (for example) many people who express prejudiced beliefs can still be friends on one-on-one basis with minorities of the groups that they've expressed bias against. 

"Tranny," from my view, is in not analogous to the n-word because, among other things, other demographics in the LGBT community popularized phrases like "hot tranny mess" very recently and language evolves. With respect to trans people in particular, it is still in a state of flux. 

Ignorance encompasses a lot of factors that contribute to world views/perceptions. Jess exclaiming "you can't say that" is not going to instantaneously outweigh Cody's family history, the homogeneity of his friend group, his roots in one of the whitest states in the nation, and/or the probability that he has never know or interacted with a trans person. If ignorance was that easily dispelled, no one would ever be ignorant. 

** Thank you for the reminder of the Ferguson comments. I'd forgotten about them. Who goes to riots in order to see "if they can survive" other than "trashbox racists"? Very misguided, uninformed, and myopic veterans of armed conflict with some indicators of mental health and/or social disorder spectrum issues. 

Do I think Cody is unproblematic or particularly likable on these counts? No, I think he's ignorant and has been formed by a very narrow life experience in terms of the people with whom he's interacted over the course of that life, which has resulted in certain blithely offensive perspectives like those about trans people. Hopefully (though I kind of doubt it), he'll evolve once he's out of the house. 

I also see no evidence that he has ever treated anyone differently in his interactions with the rest of the cast based on their race, sexuality, or gender. 

*** The premise that Cody ever controlled Jessica is one I can't wrap my head around. Dissolving into tears because he "didn't think he could make Jess happy" signals she has just as much control over him. He constantly applauds Jessica's independence and how much pushback she gave him in the game.

----------------------------------------

All of which is to say that Cody is possessed of a flawed, socially maladroit, sometimes very strange, and often unsympathetic personality. 

However, from my personal vantage point - and I think from that of many viewers rooting for him - he has never been deliberately malicious or cruel. If he hasn't liked someone (like Megan or Christmas, or, now, everyone except Elena and Mark), he's just disengaged from interacting with them. That's a bad game move but ... isn't that how normal, functioning adults behave in the real world?

There is miles upon miles of daylight between that or angrily responding to Josh after he has been expressly trying to provoke a physical reaction in concert with the house for over a week vs the sheer glee that Alex, Christmas, Paul, Josh, Raven, and Kevin have taken in intentionally and systematically needling Cody about his child, what she must think of him, his service or lack thereof, how much shame he brings upon the military, his personal relationship with Jess, etc etc etc.

If we're talking about abuse, how do those coordinated and prolonged attacks about the things that are most important to Cody and most foundational to his identity as person not qualify as abusive on a level that transcends the game?

"Not an emotional sadist" is a pretty low bar to clear but that's why he's rootable (as were Elissa and Jen by virtue of likewise being the only prominent contestants in their seasons to hurdle that metric) relative to the other houseguests.

Again, all in my subjective opinion. 

Edited by lunastartron
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Jessica was & will be there. They are just editing her out. It's the same thing they did with Paulie. I know there is a band & food (saw the live feeds) I just don't get them being down longer before Saturday. 

No, Jessica will not be there. The special Friday ep hasn't been filmed yet. Since the feeds will be down until after the Friday ep I would assume that they will be filming the concert/carnival after the DE tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, neenyah said:

Just because I can't stand one person, why do I have to "like" another? 

You don't. I haven't seen anyone here suggest that other people have to like Cody. Hell, most of us don't even like him! We just like/are entertained by what he does for the game.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

I don't think any of us know what is going to be shown Friday.  The party they had was just the halfway party.  I don't think there were any reports of Them having a live brand? 

For all we know it was suppose to be another battle back episode and they decided to not do it but they still had the time slot to fill. 

5 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I don't think there were any reports of Them having a live brand? 

I think that's just because it hasn't happened yet. Last season the feeds were up long enough for us to see them getting ready for the concert, but this season, for whatever reason, they seem to be having it after the DE ep and I guess timing wise it just made sense for them to keep the feeds down all the way until after the Friday ep. Also, I figure that carnival ep from last season probably had bad ratings so they're trying to force us to watch the Friday ep.

But I hope they're keeping some huge twist secret and are like, 'Psych, we were just kidding about there being no jury buy back!" lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
On 8/15/2017 at 5:11 PM, Callaphera said:

NO ONE FROM IOWA WOULD EVER STEAL FROM ANYONE, SO SAYETH THE NUT THAT WHISTLES.

A quick Google talks about an epidemic of car thefts in Iowa. 

I'm petty enough to Google shit like that just to make them look like idiots.

HA HA HA HA!!!  I know this is from yesterday but I had to log on just to comment on this post.  This?  Is hilarious!!  Will have me laughing for the next few days.

Thanks Callaphera!

• Love 4