Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: My Fair Wesen

Nick does his best to educate Trubel on how best to handle the world she is learning about for the first time, and decides it best to bring her on a ride along with Hank. They find themselves investigating the homicide of a young woman that strikes a chord for Trubel. Meanwhile, Adalind makes a discovery that she hopes will lead her to regain something she has lost.
(edited)

Oh double damn, they are going ruin Monre and Rosalee's wedding?   Why?   Why can't there just be one trouble free wedding on tv?

Speaking of trouble, just call the damn girl Theresa.   Continuing the Trubel thing is just moronic.   And look "I'm homeless so I have no social skills whatsoever, I was clearly raised by blutbaden."   With a quest no less to find the Siegebarste who killed her foster parents (who probably taught her some damn manners thank you very much).  But I did like how her first question of Monroe was how do you know I'm a Grimm?   Took Nick 3 frigging years to ask that question.  

Did like when Juliette asked about housing a suspect Nick's response:   Technically she is not a suspect because we know she did it.   Also liked Juliette being a little irked about Nick just bring this person home and expecting her to stay indefinitely.   That is something you discuss with your significant other first.  No matter how understanding said SO is.

That anvil about the Juliette and Nick being married hurt.   I liked Bud's "Your lovely not-wife" so much better.  

Whiny, needy Adalinde is annoying.   I liked angry Hexenmom so much better.

Oh look MORE keys.   Which will turn into nothing again except a season ending cliffhanger that will only lead to more loose ends next season.   Tell us what the Royals are up to already.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4
(edited)

Best episode in forever. Other than the neverending tedious Adalind rubbish, I thought this was an entertaining episode. The name Trubel is ridiculous, but Teresa is already shaping up to be a good character. I like that she has her baggage, but is trying to learn. She has made Nick's life difficult and uncomfortable is a good thing. I hope that the writers are intending to make Teresa a regular. 

The actual case of the week was great. Good to see Michael Graziadei getting work after Y&R, he was excellent as the terrifying Fagan. I felt for the girls. I loved that Teresa was trying to save them. She could have been one of them if she was not a Grimm. Her reaction of "oh crap" when she realized that there were two Wesen was hilarious. I loved Hank going to get the car so he could drive into the building. Nick's desperation to save and protect Teresa was pretty moving. 

I have to say that I wonder how Nick and Hank explain all the dead bodies and disappearing suspects around them, but I am willing to not to think very hard about it.

The previews promise that final episodes might actually be interesting. I hope they are.

Oh look MORE keys.   Which will turn into nothing again except a season ending cliffhanger that will only lead to more loose ends next season.   Tell us what the Royals are up to already.

I am confident that the writers do not know what the Royals are up to which is why they keep it vague and constantly change the story with the Royals and the Resistance. The last post I made about the previews got edited so maybe it is against the rules to talk about them here, but I will say that I am surprised that the writers even remember the keys, they have clearly forgotten about the dangerous coins that Kelly was supposed to destroy.

Oh, I was also glad that Nick mentioned moving the trailer. At this point, everybody and their mother knows where it is stored.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

When I figured the damn book had to be opened by blood, magic, or blood magic as soon as Adelind found the thing? Makes her kind of dumb/dumb-seeming. She's the same kind of wesen her mom was, so I would think- especially after all the gross rituals to get her powers back- Adelind would already know that grunting while trying to pry open the book manually for two or three segments wouldn't work.  *sigh*

I liked how Rosalee handled the Grimm/Wesen Relations: 21st Century-Style 101. That Rosalee mentioned that while she and Monroe are "nice", that not all are and to be careful. Which made it funny to me when the New Beginnings' girl was a mouse wesen.  I honestly didn't expect there to be two wormy wesen. I thought she had managed to squirrel away enough to have a hidey-hole/ safe haven for when she ran away from Ken.

Yes, Protective!Nick and EffiecentEntry!Hank were marvelous tonight. Maybe my favorite snarky Wu, Drew, will eventually confide in Teresa about his "nightmare".  As a "criminology student", maybe it'll be less about how scary/real it was than what years on the street can make you think you see?

Nick and Juliet need to buy one of those Neat-brand scanners, or something similar, so they can collate info more efficiently. Yeah, keep the books, but have stuff backed-up! Have they learned nothing from the computer age?

Yes, Teresa is a lovely lady, though the color on the fancy dress seemed not-exactly the right shade for her imo.  I do hope that she stays around a bit. I noted that she seemed interested in the picture of Nick and Juliet. Hopefully, this bodes well for a Teresa/Juliet relationship.

Those previews! Things are gonna get really real it seems like. Cool.

• Love 1

I don't care too much for the new Grimmster. I would've preferred the normal Scooby gang handle the WOTW. I feel like there's still so much about the Grimm mythology we don't know & don't really want a repeat of entry level info. I guess I'm just a grouch because this episode left me grumpy & frustrated. My positive was Hank's involvement & inclusion.

• Love 1

Okay, I really like Trubel...or at least the actress playing her.  She's got screen presence.  This episode felt more like Grimm from s1 in the pacing and action.  I loved Wu's face when Trubel said "Wesen".  Surely he's gonna figure this out. 

And for the previews.  OMG Holland Manners!  It's an Angel reunion and I could not be happier.  Scrounge up Lindsey McDonald (aka Christian Kane) and I might be beside myself

• Love 3

I found myself liking this one. The plot and Trouble character are somewhat cliched, but I always enjoy it when characters on a show acknowledge the outlandishness of what is happening to them, with humorous lines like we had tonight. Still, I'm hoping Trouble isn't going to be a regular because adding more characters to the Scooby gang is not what this show needs. 

Although I groaned at the appearance of another key, I was delighted (as I see catrox14 was) that it appears to be born by Sam Anderson, a terrific character actor who played one of tv's greatest villains: the genuinely suave and avuncular, and yet unrepentently evil Holland Manners on Angel. A million actors have tried that combination of charm and menace, but I've never seen anyone pull it off with as much panache and glee as Anderson playing Holland. :) Damn, he was fun to watch. 

Heh. The only other actor I've seen get close to Holland Manners-esque kind of villain was Kurt Fuller on Supernatural playing Zachariah, who was more...mean than Holland.  But yeah, I am pretty excited.

Maybe it's too soon to tell, but I feel like these last few episodes seem to be righting the Grimm ship from last season.

Against all expectations I liked this episode and I actually liked Trubel. Underneath everything she seems to be motivated by a genuine desire to help people and that's the perfect quality in a nascent hero. Despite the dumbass name and her bad introduction, this is a positive move on the part of the show. Fucking finally.

• Love 1

Is Nick saying to Juliette (about Trubel), "She's going to get herself killed," supposed to be foreshadowing?

I hope not. I like her. Maybe she should go help Nick's Mom for a while, then stop back occasionally. It would be a chance for her to learn about Grimmery.

• Love 1

Liking the new girl, the 'force' is strong in this one.

Adalind, please, move away from Portland, maybe go to LA or Nashville, meet a nice musician or something, have some more babies that you'll be a horrible mother to and get off my TeeVee screen.

• Love 2
(edited)

Seriously, it is time the writers to wrap up Adalind's story and send her on her way. As much as I like Sasha Roiz, Renard should go too because the writers refusal to make a villain and/or Nick's true nemesis has made him a useless character who basically contributes nothing most of the season. Roiz is a good actor who could do so much more. He would be a fearsome, but they refuse to give him the material.

The writers have clear vision about Teresa so she has much more promise as a regular character. A Wesen killing her foster parents and never being caught, gives her a mission to avenge them. If the writers can't or won't give the show a credible villain, they should stick to what they do best write for another hero. I would also like see Wu forming a friendship with Teresa. She and Hank could help Wu accept the Wesen. At first, I did not want Wu be part of the gang, but I think that his humorous comments about Wesen would be hilarious.

catrox14, I agree with you that this episode felt like more like the first season Grimm. It had that darkness, action, and sense of not knowing what was going to happen next. Yes, I knew Teresa was going to try to set up Donna, but putting the coins in the drink was a nice twist that I did not expect. It made Teresa seem like someone who had a difficult life having actually lived on the streets. Hank using the car to ram the building was unexpected and made me laugh. Also, I was genuinely surprised that Donna turned out to be a Wesen. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I felt for the girls. I loved that Teresa was trying to save them. She could have been one of them if she was not a Grimm. Her reaction of "oh crap" when she realized that there were two Wesen was hilarious. 

I laughed long and hard at that "Oh crap." Perfect intonation along the lines of "We're gonna need a bigger boat" or "They have a cave troll." Teresa is a good cast addition.  She's a bit more than a Faith character she's kinda like adding a Faith/Buffy hybrid.  I too think Teresa will be the way Wu gets brought into the loop.  The Wesen of the week was pretty boring.  It didn't really make sense that worms would care about luxury items or instill fear.  I would have worm Wesen running an organic farm!  I'm over-thinking Animal Kingdom personalities, right?  I have to say I am very happy the episode addressed two issues very quickly:  Teresa's not related to Nick and the difference between good vs. bad Wesen.  I really hope Teresa's chess piece will have a key.  Imagine the leverage Nick would have if he could get his hands on 3 keys (his, Teresa's, and preview guys)...

I like Trubel and I hope she'll be a fun addition.  I also was happy Juliette didn't make too much of a fuss because, really, she's going to have to put up with a lot of unusual stuff if she wants to stay with Nick.

Side note:  I think Danny looks so much better now that he cut his hair.

Thank you.  It would be nice if anyone's referencing characters from other shows, they mention the show, too.  I kept thinking, "Danny Bruno cut his hair?  We haven't seen Bud in a while; how/why would anyone know anything about his hair?"  Cause, y'know, we don't all watch the same shows & have the same frames of reference.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

merylinkid:

Speaking of trouble, just call the damn girl Theresa.   Continuing the Trubel thing is just moronic.

I would have loved it if after T says "Call me Truble", Juliette had said "Why? Are you 12?"  Just no.

All in all, a good episode.  I won't mind if they keep Theresa around for a while.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

About the episode title: Shouldn't it have been "My Fair Grimm"?

Or are Grimms wessen?

And is it Grimms for the plural or just Grimm, like deer?

And should wessen be capitalized when not part of a title?

Okay. I'll stop now, and go back to work, where I'm checking title pages of theses today.

• Love 1

I also like Trubel the character, but not the name.  "Oh crap" really was a great line.

Adalind was acting like a moron when she couldn't open the book.  Um, clearly its closed with a spell you idiot.  Trying something other than brute force.

Though we'll never know now that she's dead, did Adalind's mother also had to bleed on the book to open it? Seems excessive to me. And would anyone's blood open it or just a blood (ha!) relative?

I agree with everyone else that the Truble moniker needs to be put to bed ASAP; it's the kind of thing that would make me want to see the character gone just so I never have to hear her called that again. No one in their right mind would address anyone other than a child in that manner.

Adalind continues to drain the life out of the show. Her character just isn't interesting enough to warrant the level of airtime given to her. The baby's gone and she needs to go to -- hopefully in a way that prevents her return. While Adalind is amscraying, she can take the entire Royals storyline with her.

I agree with the poster who states that unless they plan to turn Renard back into the villain he should be, his character can go as well. As it currently stands, Renard serves no real purpose on the show. Even being in the midst of the Royals storyline, he does not drive it because his character is ill-defined. Have something major take place that aligns Renard with the Royals (giving an actual reason for and movement to this storyline if TPTB insist on keeping it) and make him the villain that Sasha Roiz made so interesting in the first season.

Random thought that just popped into my head: What happened to the lady ADA who I think was played by Lisa Vidal. She and Hank sparked. Bring her back as a love interest for him and as someone who actively questions the high body count that follows Hank and Nick around. With a turned Renard, this character could be used in all sort of interesting ways perhaps even adding a little tension (not too much or too lengthy) in the Hank/Nick bond before we get reminded of he awesome trust that allows Hank to go with the flow and actively participate in Nick's Grimmdom.

About the episode title: Shouldn't it have been "My Fair Grimm"? 

I think it was a reference to the leech guy tutoring his thief-Pygmalions? 

did Adalind's mother also had to bleed on the book to open it? 

Perhaps just the first time, and then the imprints on its new owner? 

Also, one of my least favorite cop **PLOT** gimmicks -- "I think I heard someone call for help". No, NO and NO. That law is there for a reason -- so cops can't invade any damn place they feel like. I hate this gimmick!

(edited)

I agree with the poster who states that unless they plan to turn Renard back into the villain he should be, his character can go as well. As it currently stands, Renard serves no real purpose on the show.

Well,  I feel differently. I like having an ambiguous character, one you're not sure if you should trust, fear....or both.

Edited by Syme
  • Love 2

Does anyone think that the actress who plays Trubel looks very similar to Kristen Stewart?  Her tomboyishness, appearance and voice made me think she was some sort of alternate-universe Kristen Stewart who could act.