Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Sixty Days

• Start Topic

Second to last episode of the season; the season finale airs next week:

Cruz finds himself in a bad spot when an off-duty incident begins to unravel, prompting Mouch to step in and offer help in hopes of avoiding serious consequences from the CFD. Casey goes head to head with a big politician to get his measure for first responders passed. Lt. Severide makes life difficult for newest team member Jason Kannell and Dawson gets an unexpected visit from her father.

I don't have much to say about this episode; it was pretty boring.  I liked that Stella reached out to Severide, and that was about it.

Why do I care about Gabby's father?

I was happy to see Cruz finally get a front-running story, but why did something bad have to happen to him?  I like Cruz!

Of course politicians are going to think Matt is self-dealing.  He is, kinda.

And the previews for next week?  Yawn.  Why is it always Matt who is put in the life and death situations?

• Love 2

I forgot about Stella.  I would be fine if I thought Kelly and she were just going to be good friends.  Unfortunately, I feel like we are supposed to be shipping them; I think the actress plays Stella like Gabby was when Casey was with Halley.  In that case, I found myself thinking she should wait for the body to get cold before making her move with the movie and alcohol.  I like that he ended up with Kimmal.

• Love 2

Ok wth how is Cruz being suspended from his job for something that a. Didn't happen on the job or has anything to do with his job b. Is part of his side-job description? And I guess if that random dude had sued Cruz and he was found guilty of assault then maybe he would have a case against him with the CFD. But now what? They take the word of a random dude for an incident that can't be proven fearing what exactly? That he is going to sue? For what? Do they not know that you can't just sue people in general?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Ok wth how is Cruz being suspended from his job for something that a. Didn't happen on the job or has anything to do with his job b. Is part of his side-job description? And I guess if that random dude had sued Cruz and he was found guilty of assault then maybe he would have a case against him with the CFD. But now what? They take the word of a random dude for an incident that can't be proven fearing what exactly? That he is going to sue? For what? Do they not know that you can't just sue people in general?

Well, at the end of last week, Cruz said something about how the owner of the bar wasn't defending him and claims he told Cruz never to actually touch someone.  Cruz said that wasn't true, but it's all he-said-(s)he-said.  By the drunk dude just making threats of suing, it's enough for the CFD not to want the PR nightmare.  They got him on "conduct unbecoming of a firefighter."  That could be anything, and they don't need a lawsuit by the drunk guy to get Cruz for that.

10 hours ago, Artsda said:

Just what the show needs more Dawsons.

Mouch was clueless, he shouldn't be the rep. 

After a week break, it's Gabby Dawson to the front and center again. I hope that at least they take this opportunity to bring Jon Seda as Antonio over for a crossover to share this latest mess with her and dilute her screen time. Logically it shouldn't just be Gabby's problem.

Seemed like Mouch thought it could be handled in a "good old boys" fashion and he found out the reality had changed.

So will Otis and Brett have to help Cruz with his share of the rent? That roommate story still seems so dumb.

30 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, at the end of last week, Cruz said something about how the owner of the bar wasn't defending him and claims he told Cruz never to actually touch someone.  Cruz said that wasn't true, but it's all he-said-(s)he-said.  By the drunk dude just making threats of suing, it's enough for the CFD not to want the PR nightmare.  They got him on "conduct unbecoming of a firefighter."  That could be anything, and they don't need a lawsuit by the drunk guy to get Cruz for that.

I knew they would do something like this specifically because of that ^^ but it's still stupid. I don't think in real life he would have lost his wage for two whole months. It seems extreme, especially considering that Gabby keeps doing worst stuff while on the job, gets many complaints and she is still working with no issues. I don't doubt that they would try to appease the guy to avoid a PR nightmare but they could have suspended him without withholding his pay. And again, sue for what? I get not wanting to risk it, but I'm seriously wondering what he could sue for in reality. Not Cruz specifically, they said that this threatening to sue the CFD. With what? Yes it's nit picking and most of the times I'm fine with minor unrealistic things but this is so stupid. Cruz barely gets lines on the show these days and they only give him storylines when they find new ways to make his life suck. Nice.

• Love 5

And the previews for next week?  Yawn.  Why is it always Matt who is put in the life and death situations?

The writing for this show is just so stale when it comes to the characters and their personal lives. This story with Cruz getting suspended is just another rehash of someone getting in trouble with the higher-ups for something stupid. I wonder though if they might be planning to write Cruz and Mouch off the show to make room for new characters. So far the new guy, Casey's friend, isn't doing anything for me. If they're trying to make the cast more diverse they should have kept Peter Mills. 

Spoiler

And yeah - how many times are we going to see promo spots where it looks like either Casey or Severide are going to die? Enough already.

• Love 3

@dreamcatcher - I get what you are saying, but it actually does seem realistic to me.  The drunk guy would sue Cruz for assault and battery, and draw the CFD in to it because that's Cruz's regular employer.  He'd make some ridiculous accusation that Cruz was there or got the job only because he's a firefighter, and all of a sudden the CFD has a suit on its hands.  It happens all the time.  The CFD would be able to defend themselves and say that Cruz wasn't acting in his capacity as a firefighter when this incident happened, but it would still be enough to give them very bad PR before they could get out of the case.  

I think the story here is more about the new attorney being a hardass and want to setting examples.  Whereas in the past something like this would be overlooked or just a slap on the wrist, this guy wants to make a name for himself.  

And as for suspended with no pay... well, why pay a guy who isn't working?  The CFD answers to taxpayers.  I wouldn't want my tax dollars going to someone who wasn't actually working.  Moreover, the wrongdoing happened on his personal time.  If he was investigated for something that happened on the job, that might be a different story.  (Gabby keeps getting slapped on the wrist because her failings are happening on the job; she's probably protected by malpractice and good Samaritan laws.  She's never been accused of assault and battery that I know of.)

Gabby was never dumber than when she thought her best option was to call her mom to help out when her dad was being threatened.  If only she knew someone in law enforcement who could respond to a call of a loud argument that could become violent.

• Love 7

"Conduct unbecoming" is a real thing so I can see Cruz being suspended or even fired if he were arrested for assault. The problem is, he wasn't. The "victim" would have had to file a police report before he could even think of suing anyone - any attorney would have told him that. And there's no way in hell he could get away with suing the fire department, they are in no way responsible for what their men do on their own time and Cruz was not serving in any official capacity for the FD during the assault. So "suing the FD" is ludicrous.

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

"Conduct unbecoming" is a real thing so I can see Cruz being suspended or even fired if he were arrested for assault. The problem is, he wasn't. The "victim" would have had to file a police report before he could even think of suing anyone - any attorney would have told him that. And there's no way in hell he could get away with suing the fire department, they are in no way responsible for what their men do on their own time and Cruz was not serving in any official capacity for the FD during the assault. So "suing the FD" is ludicrous.

Thank you! That's what I meant! There are a few rare cases of people who created a crisis for an institution/organization with no story whatsoever, just a few invalid complaints and the help of the media. But legal action is a different thing. And yes there was no mention of a police report. So no I don't believe that the CFD would punish one of their members with literally no evidence and just with a threat of a case that no attorney would ever accept to work on. And that's precisely why there is a union. I don't oppose the storyline per se (although it's boring and repetitive), but they could have had the "victim" filling a report, Cruz worrying about it, just something to show that this incident wad actually significant.

and again, this had nothing to do with the CFD. Had he been arrested he could have gotten suspended for a while. But this had no connection to the cfd so even if he could sue Cruz with no evidence and no police report, there is nothing he can do to the CFD.

Edited by dreamcatcher
Forgot part of my rant :p
  • Love 1

I have to admit, I think Mouch comes off as an idiot sometimes but maybe he is too much of the good old boys to still be a union rep. 

Dear Matt Casey, surprised it took this long but.... welcome to politics... lol 

I don't care about Dawson's dad though and I actually thought he had a heart attack or something. 

Kannel is not doing much for me either.

I bet Mouch will think about this over the break and we will see him again unless something happens next week. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I thought Boden said that the "victim" did file a report?  And that's how the whole thing got started?  Maybe I misheard Boden, but either way, it's all politics and optics.  If the guy just went to a local reporter and was on the news, I'm guessing that would be enough for the CFD to say Cruz was guilty of "conduct unbecoming."  Again, back to the bad PR.

35 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I thought Boden said that the "victim" did file a report?  And that's how the whole thing got started?  Maybe I misheard Boden, but either way, it's all politics and optics.  If the guy just went to a local reporter and was on the news, I'm guessing that would be enough for the CFD to say Cruz was guilty of "conduct unbecoming."  Again, back to the bad PR.

Yeah but the issue didn't escalate to that point! This is my main issue and I guess I need to drop it but I just hate when writers do that. It is a half-assed repetitive story that could have been a bit better with just minor alterations. Or you know they could stop adding irrelevant drama whenever they want to get rid of someone or give Dawson something to do.

and since I mentioned Dawson, a few weeks back she randomly remembered that she wants to have a family. I thought they would go somewhere with that (not meaning making papa Dawson relevant for some reason) but I'm guessing it was just the random Dawson scene of the week?

• Love 1

I don't think the drunk bar guy filed a police report, but a complaint to the CFD (no police came and questioned Cruz). I would have thought a union lawyer might have represented Cruz as a hearing and punishment were underway, not his union rep being allowed to sit in but not speak.

I predict Mouch just needs hearing aids (he couldn't hear what Casey needed with the biker vs semi accident, right? And was there some confusion for him about Jerry the former discipline guy's voice being different?) and presto, he will be better than ever. 

Plus one thousand on Gabby's father and who cares. Who sobered up mighty quickly once Gabby arrived at Molly's. Cause that's easy, go right from stumbling drunk to lucidly talking to her about his money problems.

I have to agree with the other alderman about Casey's cause being self-serving. 

Show, please don't rerun Gabby and Casey's romantic plot line for Stella and Severide. Stella has grown on me and I find her totally believable as a firefighter (unlike Gabby was). Keep her there and introduce her to the hot remedial EMT teacher that Gabby and Brett thought they were going to have.

• Love 2

I was an attorney with a state department of mental health, and I can't believe that Cruz wouldn't have a right of appeal before an administrative law judge. Losing two months pay is a major sanction.

Why didn't the guy who bit his tongue go get help. Couldn't he text his son? I didn't get it.

• Love 2

The weird thing to me is that drunk guy played it as though he was terrified of Cruz after seeing his tattoo.  I thought it must have been an old gang sign and thought bringing up Leon was tied to a new gang story somehow.  The whole storyline is bad.

• Love 3

I think the 60 day rip was a bit harsh, but if he ran afoul of policy and the dep't was set on making an example I can see it really happening, although as LittleIggy said, this would probably go to an ALJ or whatever there is in Chicago that hears such cases. FDNY has had some really sick hazing stories happen in the past and they've adopted a zero tolerance policy now, so things like filling a probie's boots full of water or some other harmless prank could result in termination. So yeah, in this PC age I can see it happening--although the circumstance here was a bit sketchy.

All in all this epi didn't suck for me. I'm really liking Mouch's story. He and Hermann are my two favourites on the show and, with Otis, form the Greek Chorus. I hope they keep 'em together and don't put Mouch out to pasture quite yet. One thing that bugged, When Severide called for the Hurst and Mouch brought bolt cutters, it made no sense. Mouch probably saw the cheapo padlock and figured the LT just wanted the right tool to cut the lock off, which bolt cutters are. A Hurst is overkill for that job, although it's great advertising for their new battery powered tools on national television <grin>.

DaddyDawson can get off my screen now, and take your li'l girl with you to a place Far Far Away.

Stella and Severide. Dunno if I "ship" 'em, but it feels natural they way they've set the two of them up as good friends, and it will invariably end up with them boinking sooner rather than later. To be honest, with what Severide's gone through this season, having him transition--gradually--from a player to a family man would be a nice story line if they can write it well enough. Kidd's a good kid (and if she brings a hand extinguisher in to a fire, she'd be good kid with a Kidde), and she clearly has some feelings for him; certainly as a good friend, maybe hoping for more? It's obviously going to happen, so I'm just hoping they do it right and not have their relationship crash and burn after 4 episodes next year.

Although if it does, Engine still won't bring in a hoseline to put it out. Just sayin. <snerk>.

On the bright side...Hermann, you sly dog.  Selling Cruz's free beer to Ramon for "half price".

It's official.  Mouch is Chicago's, if not the nation's, worst union rep.  That was just awful, although in real life it wouldn't have happened that way at all.  The union office should have been in the loop from the beginning, and had an appeal ready as soon as the decision came down. 

8 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Show, please don't rerun Gabby and Casey's romantic plot line for Stella and Severide. Stella has grown on me and I find her totally believable as a firefighter (unlike Gabby was). Keep her there and introduce her to the hot remedial EMT teacher that Gabby and Brett thought they were going to have.

Exactly! Am I the only one who remembers that they uhm "dated" before? And Severide still fell in love with another woman so no, I don't like this pairing anymore. Stella and every female character deserves more than that.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

IWhy didn't the guy who bit his tongue go get help. Couldn't he text his son? I didn't get it.

Yeah, what was the point of that call? Also, I thought his tongue had turned septic, which is why it was black. By the time it got that bad, he'd be in much worse shape, if coherent at all. How long did he just sit around the house as it festered rather than just call an ambulance?

I thought this was supposed to be a show about a fire station.  They drag out all these trucks and equipment, present us with a difficult extrication and multi-trauma....and all we get is some saws and a c-collar and then a cut to the patient magically on a stretcher being loaded into the ambulance.  That could have been a really interesting and emotionally engaging scene that shows us how that's done.  Instead, we get boring alderman blather and union rep weirdness.  

Same with septic tongue guy.  It's like these calls are just annoying interruptions.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/10/2017 at 6:44 PM, LittleIggy said:

Why didn't the guy who bit his tongue go get help. Couldn't he text his son? I didn't get it.

Good question. Next time bite my tongue - I'm going to seriously consider going straight to the emergency room and telling them to give me all the antibiotics they have. Egads that was disgusting. 

Edited by CKTV123

Seriously...I thought maybe Tongue Guy had something wrong with his legs, but no, he was able to get up right away when Gabby and Brett asked. So I don't get why he sat in that chair for like three days.

Re: Papa Dawson moving in - I'm sure they'll turn it into a major conflict before long. But honestly, Matt and Gabby's apartment is bigger than the Playboy Mansion. Can't they just give Papa a room on the other end? They're off at work for long stretches too. It's not like they'd be living in MY apartment, bumping into each other every two feet.

• Love 1

Everyone is talking about Stella and Kelly 'possibly' sleeping together, but they already did. That was the whole story with her crazy ex stalking her. He was actually in her apartment (or was it Kelly's place?) while they were in bed. So they might get back together, but it's not like they've never gone there.

and echoing everyone else's sentiments about Gabbys father. Please let him be gone by the next episode!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Everyone is talking about Stella and Kelly 'possibly' sleeping together, but they already did. That was the whole story with her crazy ex stalking her. He was actually in her apartment (or was it Kelly's place?) while they were in bed. So they might get back together, but it's not like they've never gone there.

and echoing everyone else's sentiments about Gabbys father. Please let him be gone by the next episode!

That's why I said I don't like this pairing anymore! They went there and they dropped it out of the blue. Then suddenly Kelly gets another girl and Stella is all heart-eyes-emoji everytime Kelly is anywhere near her while he apparently doesn't see her this way. And honestly, if he magically starts liking her again it will cheapen his story with Anna even more.

• Love 2

Personally I wouldn't mind Severide and Kidd as a couple; BUT, the problem for me is that it's like she's hanging out, just waiting until he might notice and want her again. There she is, supporting him through the hospital procedure, through the aftermath of Anna's death, etc. and he really doesn't seem to understand just how fortunate he is to have this. I kinda cringe every time Stella comes around him.

But on the other hand, she did tell him she only wanted a casual thing and didn't want any real relationship. So apparently Severide took her at her word. Whether she wasn't telling the truth at the time, or developed feelings later, I'm not entirely sure.

On 11/05/2017 at 1:06 AM, Dowel Jones said:

On the bright side...Hermann, you sly dog.  Selling Cruz's free beer to Ramon for "half price".

It's official.  Mouch is Chicago's, if not the nation's, worst union rep.  That was just awful, although in real life it wouldn't have happened that way at all.  The union office should have been in the loop from the beginning, and had an appeal ready as soon as the decision came down. 

I thought Mouch was actually elected union president, why did he just say he used to be the interim president. He also was pretty terrible and at very least should stop being the union guy even if he doesn't retire as a firefighter.

Also did Herman really serve Dawson's dad so much to the point where he became a mean drunk who wouldn't leave? Isn't overserving people the kind of thing that costs bars their liquor license?

Also other than on tv who goes to a bar and orders "a beer" and takes any kind of beer they are given? That is like going to a restaurant and asking for "meat".

On 5/22/2017 at 10:17 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I thought Mouch was actually elected union president, why did he just say he used to be the interim president. He also was pretty terrible and at very least should stop being the union guy even if he doesn't retire as a firefighter.

He was the interim president during S2, when the guy he lost the original election to was found to be corrupt.  The rest of the Board nominated him to take the guy's seat, and then they appointed him President for the rest of the first guy's term.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:17 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also other than on tv who goes to a bar and orders "a beer" and takes any kind of beer they are given? That is like going to a restaurant and asking for "meat".

On a vacation in Mexico, everyone just ordered "cerveza."  Pretty sure we were getting Dos Equis?  Not positive...