Type keyword(s) to search

Atomic Blonde (2017)

• Start Topic

The latest trailer is too long. Gives to much away. Still excited to see it though. 

Her character in Fate of the Furious needed to be more like the character in this movie. Willing to get her hands bloody. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the warning. I'll stay far away from any future trailers, because I really want to see the movie.

Thanks for the warning. I'll stay far away from any future trailers, because I really want to see the movie.

I saw this last night at an advance screener. From the trailers, I had expected something a bit more campy, for some reason, but this is a straight up spy tale with a heavy helping of extreme violence. I had a blast. I won't give away any story tidbits, but the performances here were all pretty excellent. It was fairly stylized, visually, with this clashing (but appealing) mix of neon 80s with Soviet era gloom. The fight scenes had a bit of a edge of choreography to them, but they were otherwise nicely brutal. This is not a film to take the kids to, which had apparently passed over the heads of the family sitting just down from us.

I'd say it's kind of like John Wick meets a cold war spy story.

• Love 5

I first discovered Charlize Theron in her brutal fight with Teri Hatcher in Two Days in the Valley. 20 years later she still looks great and she still kicks ass. I love how we were shown the brutal after-effects of her battles.

As an eighties kid, the soundtrack hit me in the sweetspot. One small nitpick, they should have used Falco's "Der Kommissar" instead of After the Fire's cover.

As to the twist:

Spoiler

I guessed the first, that she was the double agent 'Satchel' but not that she actually was a triple agent, in reality working for the Americans the whole time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:
  Hide contents

I guessed the first, that she was the double agent 'Satchel' but not that she actually was a triple agent, in reality working for the Americans the whole time.

Me to, and I really loved it.

I liked the movie, loved Theron, and most of the rest of the cast were good to.

• Love 1

Charlize Theron finally gets a really good solo action vehicle, after coming up short in the past (e.g., Aeon Flux).  The best action film of the year so far, in terms of physical combat, which is perhaps what you'd expect from one of the directors of John Wick (this is basically John Wick with more of a plot and a lead with some emotional range -- though Theron obviously isn't stretching herself here, outside of the physical sense, because some of those fight scenes look like they were a challenge to film).

For a moment it looked like the movie was going to go full No Way Out, though it backed away slightly from that.  I liked the additional twist, but I kinda wish they had really committed there.

I've become a fan of Sofia Boutella between Kingsman and Star Trek Beyond, so I'm always happy to see her getting more roles, though I was a bit disappointed that she didn't get a more significant action scene, given the physical ability she displayed in previous roles.  But she certainly looks great here.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I first discovered Charlize Theron in her brutal fight with Teri Hatcher in Two Days in the Valley. 20 years later she still looks great and she still kicks ass. I love how we were shown the brutal after-effects of her battles.

As an eighties kid, the soundtrack hit me in the sweetspot. One small nitpick, they should have used Falco's "Der Kommissar" instead of After the Fire's cover.

As to the twist:

Reveal hidden contents

I just got back from seeing it and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  And the fight scenes were very well done.  I too liked that they didn't portray Lorraine as some nigh invincible terminator like a lot of action movies tend to do with their protagonists.  They both showed her getting hurt and actually had those injuries last instead of disappearing in the next scene (also something Hollywood likes to do). I also liked that she wasn't a superhero that could toss guys twice her size around with hardly any effort (when she does toss a guys, it's an actual martial arts throw designed be used on a larger opponent).  Most of the time she wins the fight because she's smarter and faster then her opponents, and is creative enough to use anything as a weapon, which is realistic for a woman.  I say this as a woman who has practiced various martial arts, woman generally cannot stand toe to toe with a guy and trade punches and expect to win a fight.  Lorraine used guile and even then still gets beaten up pretty good.  The fights are pretty stylized, but oddly realistic as far as that goes.

Charlize Theron does an amazing job with the fight scenes.  From what I gather she did the majority of the stunts sans the really dangerous ones like the swing off the balcony.  I also really liked that it was set in the late eighties.  I was a kid then, I do remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and watching it on TV.  Having this set during that time period bought up nostalgia, as did the soundtrack with I really liked.  I also liked the twist, but

Spoiler

I do wonder what it meant in terms of who or what Percival really was.  Was he also a double (triple?) agent?  Just a corrupt one? Did he kill Spyglass and try to kill Lorraine just so he would be the one to give MI6 "the list" and get all the glory.  He didn't seem to intend on selling it. Maybe I missed something.  I did like that Lorraine dropped the British accent just at the end of the final fight scene foreshadowing the reveal.  For a half second I thought it might have been Theron inadvertently loosing the accent for a second, then I realized it must have been intentional right before she stepped on the plane.  My actual thought process was something like, "Was that an American accent?  Was that a screw up? Charlize Theron wouldn't mess up an accent that bad...oh....it was intentional...cool."

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Proclone said:
  Hide contents

I do wonder what it meant in terms of who or what Percival really was.  Was he also a double (triple?) agent?  Just a corrupt one? Did he kill Spyglass and try to kill Lorraine just so he would be the one to give MI6 "the list" and get all the glory.  He didn't seem to intend on selling it. Maybe I missed something.  I did like that Lorraine dropped the British accent just at the end of the final fight scene foreshadowing the reveal.  For a half second I thought it might have been Theron inadvertently loosing the accent for a second, then I realized it must have been intentional right before she stepped on the plane.  My actual thought process was something like, "Was that an American accent?  Was that a screw up? Charlize Theron wouldn't mess up an accent that bad...oh....it was intentional...cool."

Spoiler

Early on I thought it was going to turn out MI6 knew Percival had gone rogue, and they were sending Lorraine in to clean up the mess and use as a fall guy if things went wrong.  I was pleasantly surprised to realize Lorraine was playing everyone all along.  I think Percival wanted to keep any of his secrets that were on the list from getting out, and keep it as insurance to use against other agents.  Percival could have brought in both Spyglass and the list if he had wanted to.  Instead he shot Spyglass, and tipped off the KGB about Spyglass and Lorraine after he already had the list so I don't believe he was going to give it to MI6.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Proclone said:
Spoiler

I do wonder what it meant in terms of who or what Percival really was.

Spoiler

He was the British version of Bakhtin. A guy who saw the writing on the wall (pun intended) and wanted to finance his retirement.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He was the British version of Bakhtin. A guy who saw the writing on the wall (pun intended) and wanted to finance his retirement.

Spoiler

I think he wanted to finance his retirement, but Percival also liked playing the game.  Percival did a lot of things that were completely unnecessary to accomplish what he wanted.  He seemed to want to show (even if no one else ever knew it) that he was capable of fooling MI6, the KGB, Larraine, and the CIA.  He wanted to be the best spy/player.

I liked this movie fine but didn't love it. Thought Charlize was great. And I was living for all the 80's music woven throughout. Who knew that George Michael's "Father Figure" would soundtrack a movie fight scene for a second year running!

I did feel like the film started to buckle under the weight of all its twists.

• Love 3

Loved the look and feel of this film, how it sounded  and blinded you with it's flourishes.

But I much prefer the graphic novel version of the story.

Spoiler

In 'The Coldest City' Lorraine arrives in Warsaw and is greeted "Agent Satchel", fin.

I guess the producers really wanted the audience to root for Charlize's character and didn't want her to be the bad Soviet spy after all. Too bad, as that would be much closer to the era and fitted with the rest of the film, instead of being a happy end glued on top of it.

I wanted the film to revisit some of it's previous narration to show that Lorraine was telling half-truths: that Spyglass wasn't shot by Percival, that Delphine wasn't killed by him, etc.

That would make the movie a solid 9/10 in my books, now it's just 6.5/10.

(edited)

Overall, I enjoyed it, but not as much as I hoped.  I just found the plot to be a bit convoluted and even confusing at times, and even then, I called almost all of the twists right before they happened.  Thankfully, the action and Charlize Theron more then made up for it.  I've read a few complaints (elsewhere) about how Theron wasn't as natural at the fighting as Keanu Reeves was in the John Wick films, but I feel like that is a bit unfair, as I still thought she did a great job and really sold the beatdowns, both giving and receiving.  While it could be hard to watch, I liked that Lorraine wasn't a super badass, and actually had to find other ways to dispatch bigger and heaver opponents.  And how she could get bloodied, bruised, and even winded after the fights.  I thought she nailed it.  Although, considering their past work together (The Devil's Advocate, Sweet November), I would be totally down for Theron and Reeves teaming up (or facing off) in an action flick!

Always great to see James McAvoy and he was having a blast as always.  John Goodman turned in another solid performance (he's had a busy year, huh?), and Toby Jones and James Faulkner (Randyll Tarly!) classed up the join as expected.

Of course, other then Theron, my next favorite person in the film was Sofia Boutella!  Bummed that they didn't give her a fight scene, but she turned in another charismatic performance and I thought she had great chemistry with Theron.  While I'm sure the big love scene between them was totally for titillation on a lot of levels, I did think they didn't treat it too differently then your average spy thriller/Bond movie when it is a man and a woman, and I guess that's a good thing?  Sure, a low bar to get over on some levels, but it was nice seeing a lesbian relationship not treated like a big thing.  That said, 

Spoiler

of course, they went the obvious route and had Percival kill Delphine, in order to make it extra personal when Lorraine puts him down.  When they revealed the final scene was in Paris, I foolishly hoped that they were going to have some big twist that she was still alive, but alas, it was not be.

Still, as usual, I hope she continues to get more work and eventually gets a role that will make her a star.

The soundtrack was great.  I'm kind of debating what is my favorite this year: this, Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2, or Baby Driver.

Curious to see how it does and the response.  While I enjoyed it, it strikes me as a film that I can see some not liking and getting a bit of a backlash, especially for those who think it's just going to be "Jane Wick", and that really wasn't the case, besides the fight scenes.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, Ariah said:

Hide contents

In 'The Coldest City' Lorraine arrives in Warsaw and is greeted "Agent Satchel", fin.

I guess the producers really wanted the audience to root for Charlize's character and didn't want her to be the bad Soviet spy after all. Too bad, as that would be much closer to the era and fitted with the rest of the film, instead of being a happy end glued on top of it.

I wanted the film to revisit some of it's previous narration to show that Lorraine was telling half-truths: that Spyglass wasn't shot by Percival, that Delphine wasn't killed by him, etc.

Spoiler

I think they could have had Lorraine kill Spyglass, and still had it be plausible she really worked for the CIA or the Russians instead of MI6.  Being a CIA spy doesn't necessarily equal being good.  Having Lorraine kill Spyglass makes the movie work better for me because if Lorraine wasn't going to give the list to MI6, why would she get Spyglass out and give him to MI6?  Also, I'm glad there were clues throughout the movie that everything was not as it seemed, all the spies were suspicious of each other, and it was possible they were double agents because without those clues, they all start to look like really incompetent spies.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I just found the plot to be a bit convoluted and even confusing at times, and even then, I called almost all of the twists right before they happened.

I was too concentrated on trying to follow it to think about the twists.  That was way more complicated and confusing than it needed to be.  Even after it was over, my husband and son, who are excellent at following tough story lines, weren't quite sure that they understood it (but, they did see the twists coming). 

Charlize was great, as was the soundtrack and the fight scenes.  I loved the 80s look and appreciated that they didn't get into the real garish looks.  But, all in all, I give it just an "ok". 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Proclone said:

I just got back from seeing it and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  And the fight scenes were very well done.  I too liked that they didn't portray Lorraine as some nigh invincible terminator like a lot of action movies tend to do with their protagonists.  They both showed her getting hurt and actually had those injuries last instead of disappearing in the next scene (also something Hollywood likes to do). I also liked that she wasn't a superhero that could toss guys twice her size around with hardly any effort (when she does toss a guys, it's an actual martial arts throw designed be used on a larger opponent).  Most of the time she wins the fight because she's smarter and faster then her opponents, and is creative enough to use anything as a weapon, which is realistic for a woman.  I say this as a woman who has practiced various martial arts, woman generally cannot stand toe to toe with a guy and trade punches and expect to win a fight.  Lorraine used guile and even then still gets beaten up pretty good.  The fights are pretty stylized, but oddly realistic as far as that goes.

Charlize Theron does an amazing job with the fight scenes.  From what I gather she did the majority of the stunts sans the really dangerous ones like the swing off the balcony.  I also really liked that it was set in the late eighties.  I was a kid then, I do remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and watching it on TV.  Having this set during that time period bought up nostalgia, as did the soundtrack with I really liked.  I also liked the twist, but

Reveal hidden contents

I liked that it was realistic too.  It bugs me when they treat female protagonists as invincible or with super human strength but I thought they did a good job of showing how Lorraine could realistically survive, if not win, a brawl with bigger/stronger opponents.  And that it's hard work!  One moment that got a chuckle out of my theater (yours truly included) was when Lorraine was trying to get Spyglass out of East Berlin and she and the KGB(?) agent she was grappling with were both so punch drunk and winded they could barely stand up straight.  Admittedly kinda comical to see but no less from a place of truth.  

While the action was great, and seeing Charlize get to be all badass is worth the price of admission, I agree the story was unnecessarily confusing at times and I had a hard time with all the names and accents.  I'm not even 100% sure I grasped everything that went on.  Overall it was solid though and I'd watch it again.

One thing that jumped out at me, and I'm sure it was intentional, was that in the little MTV News clip they showed towards the end of the film, Kurt Loder finishes his Berlin Wall story then teases his next story by asking if music sampling is art or plagiarism.  The final song played in the film is Under Pressure, famously ripped off, I mean "sampled", by Vanilla Ice which also weirdly tied in to the ice/Cold War motif throughout the film.  

• Love 2

I saw this film earlier today and I liked it, but not as much as I was hoping to. I DO think the fight scenes were excellent and Charlize Theron really sold their brutality; like everyone else, I also appreciated that Lorraine had to be smarter and more resourceful than her opponents, and that when she went straight fist-to-fist with a guy it usually didn't go her way. This felt like some of the most realistic film violence I've seen in a while without being gratuitous, as weird as that is to say given the amount of blood in the movie! I was a little iffier on the soundtrack and stylization both; sometimes they really worked for me but sometimes they were trying too hard imo.

Narrative-wise, I wouldn't say the film buckled under the twists, exactly, but I don't think they were well-paced--yes, there were clues, but the film still ended up feeling very back-heavy to me. Like you could cut out the first half to three-quarters and not miss much at all.  I do wonder if I would feel differently on that if I saw the movie again. In general, Charlize Theron was good but not great; the moments where we got to see the "real" Lorraine were really good (I'm thinking especially in the elevator at the end and in bed with Delphine), so I wish we'd had a little less of the badass icy indifference--as utterly badass as that was!--and a little more emotion. I also really liked the supporting cast, especially Sofia Boutella and James McAvoy. I too was hoping Delphine made it to Paris! But overall I thought this was a classic summer action flick that I probably wouldn't pay to see again, but that I enjoyed while I was in the theater and would recommend to friends.

• Love 3

My first comment is that I loved the comparison between the bad ass character Sofia Boutella played in Kingsman and the submissive character she played in this.  Such a change.  I was hoping at the end, when she called Percival, that it was going to turn out that she was just playing a role and really was a bad ass, but nope.  But it shows some range, so I'm impressed.

They really went for it in terms of bruises, didn't they?  They didn't hide how much beating Lorraine got.  And I appreciated that.  Not like James Bond, who always seems to be ready to slip in or out of a tuxedo at a moment's notice.

I kept wondering through the whole thing if "Lorraine" is an English name, but I guess that ending answered that question.

I enjoyed it immensely.

• Love 1

Yeah, thuganomics85, I definitely wasn't a fan of

Delphine getting killed because it was textbook "burying your gays" but I was prepared for it because she had Dead Woman Walking written all over her forehead from the moment I saw the trailer.

The sex scene between Lorraine and Delphine was obviously fanservice (which... I mean... it worked for me, that shit was hot, but it seemed to make some of the straight people in my theater uncomfortable lmao), but I at least liked that Lorraine for all her amorality seemed to genuinely care about Delphine on some level. 

I loved the moments where Lorraine and some mook would be fighting and they'd both be so beaten up that they could barely move and so they'd just take limp swipes at each other. That's not something you really see in a lot of slick action movies. 

Count me in as someone who saw the first twist coming but not the final one. The one question I have is:

Does this mean that Lorraine was behind Gascoine's death? IIRC we got that scene where he told her that he knew who Satchel was. Was that meant as an implicit threat to Lorraine, who then set him up to be killed? Which would explain what he said about being taken out by the best.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, galax-arena said:

The sex scene between Lorraine and Delphine was obviously fanservice (which... I mean... it worked for me, that shit was hot, but it seemed to make some of the straight people in my theater uncomfortable lmao), but I at least liked that Lorraine for all her amorality seemed to genuinely care about Delphine on some level. 

I kept glancing down my row to see if either of the parents who brought their two young kids, neither of which looked to be even 12, were squirming (from that or the violence).  I didn't notice them, or anyone else, squirming, though-at least not in my row.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, galax-arena said:

That's really weird. Did these people not see the trailer for the movie?  Both the kiss between Lorraine and Delphine in the club and Delphine on top of Lorraine in bed were in the trailer.  No one could claim they didn't know what kind of content was going to be in the film if they saw the trailer.  I admit to sometimes being uncomfortable watching more explicit sex scenes in theaters because, "Hey that's hot...and there's a whole bunch of strangers around..." but didn't think the scene in this was particularly explicit.  Or at least I didn't feel uncomfortable watching in a room full of strangers.

7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I kept glancing down my row to see if either of the parents who brought their two young kids, neither of which looked to be even 12, were squirming (from that or the violence).  I didn't notice them, or anyone else, squirming, though-at least not in my row.

I admit to seeing a lot of R-rated films that I was probably too young see when I was a kid (I grew up at the tail end of the time period before pg-13 came into existence).  That being said, I never saw any of them in the theater.  My mother had always seen them first and if there really was something she objected to me seeing she would make me leave the room for that part and call me back in when it was over.  I don't know if I would have been shooed out of the room for the sex scene in this, but I don't think so. Either way I think it's generally inappropriate to bring young kids to R-rated movies in the theater.  Even if the kids might be OK with the same content at home, seeing a film in a theater tends to be a more immersive visceral experience and might be too much for kids to handle.  I know I sometimes flinch or look away at things I see on the big screen that I don't bat an eye at when I'm watching at home.  I would think it would be worse for kids.

Not to get off topic, but sometimes I really don't think people either bother to learn what exactly they're bringing their kids to or they just don't care.  Last summer I saw a live performance of Shakespeare's Measure for Measure.  For those that don't know, while classified as technically a comedy (as in it has a happy ending), it's really one of Shakespeare's "problem plays" and it involves a novice nun being blackmailed by a corrupt politician into sleeping with him to save her brother from being executed.  It also tackles some family friendly topics like prostitution, beheading, and the aforementioned nun almost being raped (on stage) by said politician. The lead actress cried so much in this production, I was genuinely concerned she was going to get dehydrated. This was done in theater in the round and I happened to be in the front row.  And besides the show I got to watch a (probably about) eight year old across from me be horrified for several hours.  The parents seemed completely unaware how disturbed their kid was.  I'm not sure taking your preteen to Atomic Blonde is as bad as that, but it's probably not a good idea.

• Love 3

I saw this over the weekend and thought it was very good.  It definitely had some pacing problems...I nearly fell asleep in the middle of it, the twists are a little hard to follow and the lack of humor from anyone other than MacAvoy (who was super entertaining) didn't help but it really won me over during the final act.  The fight scenes with Theron and the bad guys were vicious and awesome.  The best part was that you could actually SEE the scenes.   None of that rapid-fire editing bullshit.  Whomever decided it was a good idea to make fight scenes unwatchable should be blacklisted from the industry.

Theron proved she could be a badass action lead in Mad Max and is convincing here.  I bought that she could hold her own with the men that she was fighting.  Great action.

• Love 4

That's really weird. Did these people not see the trailer for the movie?

Maybe they didn't, I could see someone just deciding to see it because it's Charlize Theron lmao.

I still remember the story someone told (not here, I think) of going to see Carol, where they ended up sitting next to an elderly couple who didn't seem to have any idea what the movie was about. And then midway through the old lady turns to the old guy and goes, "Harold, they're lesbians!" 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, benteen said:

he best part was that you could actually SEE the scenes.   None of that rapid-fire editing bullshit.  Whomever decided it was a good idea to make fight scenes unwatchable should be blacklisted from the industry.

I didn't even think of that, but it's an excellent point!  I do get tired of the rapid, close up, cuts in the fight scenes these days.

4 hours ago, galax-arena said:

I still remember the story someone told (not here, I think) of going to see Carol, where they ended up sitting next to an elderly couple who didn't seem to have any idea what the movie was about. And then midway through the old lady turns to the old guy and goes, "Harold, they're lesbians!" 

Heh.  I saw Spotlight in a rather tiny theater while seated behind a group of nuns.  I always gave them the benefit of the doubt assuming they knew what the film was about which is why they went to see it in the first place but it still amused me.  

• Love 2

I really like this movie. I thought it was very good. It's definitely a movie where you have to pay attention to be able to put it all together in the end. And still I had to read a view that spoiled the movie to make sure I was right about. I had no idea the guys behind John Wick did this as well. That explains how good the fight scenes were especially when we actually saw the guys and Lorraine really f'ed up. And the bruises after. I think the fight scenes could've had more impact if at least one of the trailers hadn't spoiled most of them. I stopped watching them after that. They really didn't need to show so much. 

I read another review that said the movie wasn't very good because the writers failed to give Lorraine a backstory that would provide the motivation for her spy lifestyle. I didn't miss that at all. I only time I wanted to know her backstory was at the end like how does she go from the CIA, to MI6 to whatever the Russian's call their spy agency (KGB?) and the English are clueless? 

Is just me or is James MacAvoy the best when he's playing a sleazy character?

• Love 1

I just caught this on DVD. First of all, I would hardly compare this to John Wick because he had a personal motivation from the very beginning. Eventually Lorraine had one in her girlfriend but that was relatively late in the movie. Also, I kept rolling my eyes at the fight scenes with Lorraine wearing a dress or skirt. Was that supposed to be titillating? Whatever, apparently there is going to be a sequel and I'll be curious to see where they go with it.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:31 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I just caught this on DVD. First of all, I would hardly compare this to John Wick because he had a personal motivation from the very beginning. Eventually Lorraine had one in her girlfriend but that was relatively late in the movie. Also, I kept rolling my eyes at the fight scenes with Lorraine wearing a dress or skirt. Was that supposed to be titillating? Whatever, apparently there is going to be a sequel and I'll be curious to see where they go with it.

There’s going to be a sequel? I’m glad but surprised— the movie didn’t do well at the box office.