Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Last Word used to be M-Th.  Rachel's Friday sign-off was always about it's now time to go to prison (Lockup - meh).  So LOD structured his work week that way a long time ago.

The last many months there has been so much going on that the primetime regulars & the network (I think wisely) have made their schedules a bit more flexible.  And with Joy, Ari, and now Ali (? who I think comes from CNBC) being both strong (and willing) relief players who have their own shows too, there isn't a drop in quality, just an adjustment in viewing.

Edited by kassygreene
there does not equal their
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

Last Word used to be M-Th.  Rachel's Friday sign-off was always about it's now time to go to prison (Lockup - meh).  So LOD structured his work week that way a long time ago.

The last many months there has been so much going on that the primetime regulars & the network (I think wisely) have made their schedules a bit more flexible.  And with Joy, Ari, and now Ali (? who I think comes from CNBC) being both strong (and willing) relief players who have their own shows too, there isn't a drop in quality, just an adjustment in viewing.

Thanks. I just needed to know why he is never on the Friday show. Now I will stop bitching internally. But really, why call the Friday episode "with LOD"? Just call it The Last Word without any particular host. Also I think if you call the show The Last Word you come to expect LOD's style. I like Joy (or any of the others) on her show or doing the random substitution, but it's a huge letdown when you expect LOD. But it's fine.

• Love 1

Thank you Lawrence, for continuing to highlight how strangely messed up General Kelly is.  Thank you for reminding us again how he dehumanized an African American congresswoman, calling her an empty barrel (twice).  And he refuses to apologize and admit he was wrong about his story.  And thank you, Lawrence, for noticing how Kelly also brought Obama into the false recollection.  Yes, Lawrence you are the only one who seems to have called out his racism.  And if we needed more proof, Kelly goes on television and says there should have been more compromise during the Civil War.  I'm glad Lawrence called out Kelly for his "honorable man" comment about Robert E Lee, and that he was actually a traitor.  I love how Lawrence will not let these issues go. 

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 16

http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/episode-864-lawrence-odonnell
Lawrence's interview on WTF with Marc Maron Podcast

Lawrence O'Donnell is on MSNBC every weeknight talking about the chaos and tumult of uncertain times. He's no stranger to historic national turbulence, as he came of age in the Vietnam Era and received his draft notice shortly before the U.S. withdrawal. Lawrence talks with Marc about those times, which are the subject of his new book, but also about his Boston upbringing, his father's career change from cop to defense attorney, his job in the U.S. Senate, and his time writing for The West Wing. 

Besides the above, (1h 23m) they talk about the infamous footage and Lawrence gives his explanation.
(For anyone who might be interested, reportedly the leaker was a Today show editor and he got fired consequently.)

Edited by sum
  • Love 1

Larry had me yelling at my TV tonight by showing the tape of trump's Florida speech. "We have a rigged system here, folks...a really, really sick system that we're going to clean up."  If I were trump, I would be thanking my lucky stars, because it's that very "rigged/sick" system that has him sitting pretty in the WH today.  Wouldn't you think he'd be praising the system that got him elected?  What a "maroon".

Color me naïve, but until this week I dumbly believed that trump, while sitting on his literal and figurative throne, was actually sending out his own tweets, and I questioned the voracity of the claim that his "Flynn lied to Pence and the FBI" tweet was sent out by his attorney.  Duh...so it turns out that Hope Hicks also has nimble fingers and an assistant to make sure we are entertained by trump's streaming consciousness.  Thanks, Larry...That little bit of info sent me to Wikipedia to track down her interesting bio.

From Wiki:   "Hicks also took dictation from Trump for his tweets, and then sent the text to another person in the Trump organization who actually sent out the tweets from Trump's official account.  When in New York City, she would spend most of her day sitting in Trump's office, handling inquiries from the press and taking dictation from him to tweet."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Hicks

32% approval?  trump is still riding that Down escalator.  

Great show tonight - very interesting and informative in all LOD covered.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

Interesting that LOD said he won't allow sound bites of Sarah Sanders to be played on his show.  I don't enjoy listening to her, and I understand his rationale, but it's hard to make points against what she's saying when you don't hear what she says.  Actually, sometimes I wonder why the WH Press Corps bothers to go to the daily briefings, but that's another matter.

I wish Neera Tanden was only shown in closed captioning.  I can't stand that nasal voice!

• Love 2

I'm kind of torn.  I think it gives him a sort of Gorton's of Gloucester sea captain look.*

*Inlaws sent us a big box of fresh New England seafood for the holidays, so I've got haddock, lobstah, clam chowdah, crab cakes and oystahs on my mind.

I want to see him in a beard-off with Wolf Blitzer.

I also want him to stop fawning over Rachel. I like her, but there's something about how he behaves that feels inappropriate to me. Other hand-offs between hosts are friendly without feeling that way. It's making me suspect LOD of being creepy and I really don't want that to be true because I like the show he does otherwise.

2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I want to see him in a beard-off with Wolf Blitzer.

I also want him to stop fawning over Rachel. I like her, but there's something about how he behaves that feels inappropriate to me. Other hand-offs between hosts are friendly without feeling that way. It's making me suspect LOD of being creepy and I really don't want that to be true because I like the show he does otherwise.

When the harassment outings were coming fast and furious (and after Al Franken) I had this sense of dread that he would be named - not for any particular reason or that I suspect him of anything just because I would be SO disappointed and I wouldn't know what to do.  So I second your hope he is not a creepster.

I'm a no on the beard.  But I'm generally a no on facial hair.

• Love 1

No on the beard.

And no on the five minute handoffs from Rachel.  If you just want to talk to Rachel, have her on her show as a guest or co-host a show with her.  These long handoffs don't really add much, and then when LOD has actual guests, he ends up having to rush them because there isn't enough time.

• Love 2

I love the beard. I have always liked LOD but never thought him sexy until now. A bearded friend once told me that perhaps 97% of women don't like beards but the remaining 3% really like them enough to make up for it. Proud 3%er!

• Love 1
On 1/3/2018 at 10:22 AM, possibilities said:

I don't think he's a creeper--I think he knows he is not that popular with MSNBC managment and every chance he gets he tries to link his name to hers--since she IS popular with them and she's #1.  I also think they genuinely like each other, but sometimes he goes a little overboard with the kissing up.

One of my favorite things that they do is when there is a really hot story he will ask her to stay and she runs upstairs to be on his show so they can keep talking about it.   Sometimes he does it when Joy is guest hosting as well--I think Lawrence genuinely likes and respects smart women and some of his best panel members are women.

When Trump was first elected--I felt like Rachel was really shaken by it and for a while after that she'd ask Chris Hayes to do that with her show after his was over.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, car54 said:

Yay, Lawrence got the interview with Wolff on Monday!   That's a bit of a score for him.

Well, it's the prime time cable score, seeing as the guy's already gone on the morning talk shows.  Big topic of discussion today is that he admitted he did whatever it took to get access to the WH, and there's a wide divergence of opinion on whether that's gotcha journalism or just smart tactics--hope LOD asks him about that.

But for LOD to get the score over Rachel, nice.  I wonder sometimes if the producers of the three prime time shows get together and divvy up the spoils so it's not always the same person (I'm looking at you, Rachel) with the big interview.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, meowmommy said:

But for LOD to get the score over Rachel, nice.  I wonder sometimes if the producers of the three prime time shows get together and divvy up the spoils so it's not always the same person (I'm looking at you, Rachel) with the big interview.

I think NBC just wrote Wolff a blank check.  As far as I can count, he has been/will be on no less than 6 NBC/MSNBC shows:  Meet the Press on Sunday, Morning Joe, Katy Tur, and LO'D on Monday, and Andrea Mitchell and Chris Matthews on Tuesday.  Of the 3 I've seen so far, Katy Tur was by far the most challenging.  Chuck Todd and Lawrence were throwing softballs by comparison.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I love it that Lawrence isn't letting John Kelly off the hook for his "empty barrel" lie!!!  It looks like he's set his sights on the Homeland woman!!

For a minute I was like - Claire Danes?  I fell asleep during his show last night and if I missed that...lol!!

It cracked me up the way he was pronouncing her name with the emphasis on the JEN.  I have no idea if that's how she pronounces it, or if he was having a hard time with it or what but it was very amusing to me.  Until I fell asleep. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I love it when Lawrence goes after John Kelly & his lies.  (Epic!!!)

Me too.  Lawrence really pointed out how comfortable he is lying, first about the congresswoman and now about the memo.  Yes, Lawrence we continue to be stunned.  

• Love 4

I'm glad Rep. Mike Quigley came on and was very clear about what Nunes has been doing - "conducting stealth, unilateral investigations."  Quigley didn't hem and haw about the reckless things Nunes is doing to protect Trump.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

"It's  OK.  I can tell."

Lawrence moves me to tears.

Yeah, I was close to crying as he kept reading one story after another after another.  This is a subject that he apparently feels very strongly about.  Does anyone know why?

• Love 4