Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

Wow, I saw that promo of Justin's show in one of those ad blurbs in the bottom of the screen, he looked horrible.  The big hair, glasses, and red lips.  I would be pissed  if I was him b/c he looked like a drag queen.

That's not a result of Food Network though, that's what Justin looks like so I doubt he's pissed.  I saw him a couple of months back when I was around the corner from his restaurant in Brooklyn and that's exactly what he looks like. Even for his wedding today he had the big poofy hair, goofy glasses and his lips are a dark pink. It must be his idea of being trendy and hipster.

• Love 2

Even for his wedding today he had the big poofy hair, goofy glasses and his lips are a dark pink. It must be his idea of being trendy and hipster.

I saw a couple pictures taken at Justin's wedding.  The bride was wearing the ugliest white shoes I ever saw and she looked like she hadn't bothered to comb her hair for the occasion.  They ought to be very happy together.

• Love 2

I saw a couple pictures taken at Justin's wedding.  The bride was wearing the ugliest white shoes I ever saw and she looked like she hadn't bothered to comb her hair for the occasion.  They ought to be very happy together.

I saw those pictures.  His bride is very cute although like her taste in men, her taste in shoes, especially with that dress leaves a lot to be desired.  Looks like she was trying to look quirky to match him.  Justin just looked like his normal douchey self.

Lenny's harem of one?

She actually thinks she's going to petition FN to give Lenny a show.  She's dreaming.

• Love 1

Yuck!  Cutthroat Kitchen came on right after FNS and there is that annoying Loreal is on there.  She is still annoying.....

She didn't bother me even a little on that episode of Cutthroat Kitchen.  Of course, I may have just been too pleased with Simon being dressed up like a clown, but I don't think that was it.  I thought she played the game nicely and was neither too complainy or too make-believe hostile towards the other people.

I definitely wasn't rooting for her on FNS, but I liked her this appearance. I think we can do much worse than Loreal if we're picking from the former FNS people.

• Love 2

I thought Loreal was awful.  She had that annoying hipster attitude like she thought she was too cool for school.  And it was like nails on a chalkboard whenever she did her "whoop, whoop" and put her hands in the air.  And her name for herself, Butcher Babe??  Ugh!

• Love 3

I rather enjoyed her on CutThroat Kitchen, but that show is about right for her - it's a big goof with a little bit of cooking tossed in. It's like Chopped on acid, or as envisioned by a class of evil kindergarteners.

Loreal fit right into that scenario. Big personality? Check! Willing to look like an idiot? Check! Willing to see who else is acting like an idiot and be an even bigger one? Check! An at least average amount of cooking skill? Check!

• Love 3
(edited)

I just checked out the facebook "We Want Chef Lenny on Food Network" page....jeez, I wish the fans he has left would just give it a rest....sigh...

Edited by Janimo

As much as I dislike Lenny and I'm almost relieved I never have to see him again I kind of feel bad for his fans.  I'm trying to put myself in their shoes where if the eventual winner that I voted for basically got buried by the network.  I guess I'd feel like I have to try and do something hence the petitioning and stuff. But do his remaining fans seriously not have a clue that most likely the cause of this mess was because Lenny turned out to be a huge embarrassing, pottymouth douchebag??

Smiley13, it's on NBC on Thursday nights at 8 pm eastern. We have a forum for it. A home cook (non-professional cook) will bring with them their best 5 dishes they make, and they go up against 5 different professional chefs. They will decide which dish they make against the pro, and they get 20 minutes to make it. Each round, they win money if the judges (who don't see them cook) pick their dish as the best. It's a fun show, check out the forum and then watch it next week.

I saw Penny Davidi on "Bar Rescue" last night as one of Jon Taffer's experts.  He called her "the best Meditarranean chef in the world"!  Then again, he's also called both Aaron McCargo Jr. and Vic Vegas "culinary geniuses" in the past, too.

Penny was tasked with fixing the kitchen at a Morroccan restaurant and failed miserably.  She kept blaming the staff for sending out burned food (their fault, true), but SHE was standing there supervising them the entire time, and let that food leave the kitchen.

• Love 3

Jeff Mauro was on Rachael Ray's show yesterday and I watching how great he was I thought back on his season when one of the challenges was to actually do an episode of her show and he completely nailed it and how it was so obvious he had so much star potential (I remember Rachael telling Bob and Suzie after the contestants did the taping "the sandwich guy KILLED it". That's why I think some of the challenges they put the contestants through that sometimes food isnt the main focus, its why its still important to see how they are able to interact with an audience and think on the fly.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/20793_give_your_tired_burger_routine_an_overhaul_with_15_mind_blowing_toppings/

• Love 7

While in On Demand to watch Star Salvation, I saw that all of Season 10 is on there.  I decided to re-watch the finale, in hindsight, Lenny was pretty creepy.

I thought he was creepy on his GGG appearance and couldn't believe they brought him back for FNS.  The crazy eyes, his accent, the stupid, corny shit he'd say.  Ugh.  Please, keep this asshole banished.

• Love 5

I thought he was creepy on his GGG appearance and couldn't believe they brought him back for FNS.  The crazy eyes, his accent, the stupid, corny shit he'd say.  Ugh.  Please, keep this asshole banished.

I would give this comment 1000 likes if I could.

• Love 1

Thanks, I have never heard of it.  The only food competitions I watch are FNS and every now and then, Guy's Grocery Games.

Sorry I know it's kind of OT but just wanted to post that Food Fighters is fun to watch. There's not much technique or anything and sometimes I yell at my TV "wait back up how did they make that?" but it's still an entertaining show, at least to me.

I saw Penny Davidi on "Bar Rescue" last night as one of Jon Taffer's experts.  He called her "the best Mediterranean chef in the world"!  Then again, he's also called both Aaron McCargo Jr. and Vic Vegas "culinary geniuses" in the past, too.

Penny was tasked with fixing the kitchen at a Moroccan restaurant and failed miserably.  She kept blaming the staff for sending out burned food (their fault, true), but SHE was standing there supervising them the entire time, and let that food leave the kitchen.

I saw that too and I was like...woah, when did she become an expert?  I agreed with her that they needed to have a Tagine on the menu but otherwise, eek.

(edited)

Wow, JTMac99, that was definitely a worse final 4. Out of that bunch, Demaris was the only possible choice.

I think that in fact there have been other worse final fours than this year's, because they've included people who were appallingly bad. To me, none of this year's final four is appallingly bad. They're just bland. I think the only one who has potential to not be bland is Arnold. I agree with others that I would not want to see an entire Suzy Wong show. (And let's face it, not about to happen. FN still doesn't even have an openly gay host, let alone a cross-dresser.) But I think that Arnold's gone too far in the other direction, and he's been afraid to show any personality. A good producer might be able to work with him to find some middle ground.

But I think that FN will wind up going the obvious route, as they always do. Which unfortunately means Jay.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

I'm kinda bitter justin warner doesn't have a show. He is a local dude with a great restaurant. He won his season by a lot. Has he best personality of anyone I can remember on this show. And got nothing.

I don't know why this show exists if th winners don't get a fair chance. Even the ones that win get 8am Saturday morning timeless.

Justin was offered a show that would be shot in a studio as most of them are. He refused. He insisted he had to do a show "on the road", which is more expensive to produce. Alton personally produced his one episode and tried to talk him into taking the prize he was offered. He refused. It's not Food Network's fault that Justin didn't want to take what was offered.

• Love 10

cooksdelight is exactly right. Justin thought he could control things and wanted things his way; a very foolish attitude for someone who was nowhere near established on the network.  Justin himself said very early on there were "budget issues" and why his show was stalling. The show he wanted was way over the budget they give their FNS winners starting out. Maybe if he actually played by the rules things would have turned out differently.

The debut shows for winners dont get an 8am Saturday timeslot..reruns are shown in that hour. Most of the time the series will start off with an 11am Sunday timeslot..a time that actually gets very good ratings.

Even the ones that win get 8am Saturday morning timeless.
  • Love 4

I've really come to like Demaris. I didn't like her on FNS due to the schtick and chest waggling. And I hated the initial concept for her show where she showed a man how to cook for a date. But I've seen a few eps lately and it's not that concept anymore. She is a very good cooking instructor. Please tell me the initial concept is gone for good?

• Love 2

Same here, I didn't care for Damaris on FNS but I like her now. And cooksdelight, I think I might even have to try some of her recipes now since you've mentioned how good they are.

• Love 1

Justin was offered a show that would be shot in a studio as most of them are. He refused. He insisted he had to do a show "on the road", which is more expensive to produce. Alton personally produced his one episode and tried to talk him into taking the prize he was offered. He refused. It's not Food Network's fault that Justin didn't want to take what was offered.

I don't think Justin really wanted to win.  I think he was just in it for his 15 minutes and exposure for his restaurant and he didn't want to admit that.  If he could walk away over something so relatively minor in the scheme of things he just couldn't have wanted it that much.  I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't act so particular just to be able to get out of it without taking responsibility.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh and I'm sure the exposure helped him a lot. Last year he must have been so hard up for money that he had to resort to crowdfunding to raise money to add an insulation area to the outdoor part of the restaurant. He got the money through many donations (including a very large one from Alton) but its kind of funny he may have very well had the money if he played nice with FN.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 1

Oh and I'm sure the exposure helped him a lot. Last year he must have been so hard up for money that he had to resort to crowdfunding to raise money to add an insulation area to the outdoor part of the restaurant. He got the money through many donations (including a very large one from Alton) but its kind of funny he may have very well had the money if he played nice with FN.

Justin was on Facebook begging for money for the outdoor patio expansion of his restaurant after he didn't get the show he wanted.

I saw Justin Warner on something else on FN and vowed to never watch his show. I can't remember what it was, but he was only on for a few minutes and his arrogance was astounding and annoying. I don't enjoy seeing that, and I don't care if he can cook.

It would not surprise me at all if he was just trying to drum up business for his restaurant. After I posted about never watching his show, and not knowing he didn't have one, someone posted a link or made a comment about his food and restaurant being good. There is another post above that says the same, so it seems that his issues are all personality.