Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Philomena

• Start Topic

I don't recognize this guy who just got tazed at all.  Are we supposed to know who he is ?  Because I've got nothing, but apparently he's connected to Red.

At least Philomena introduced herself and she isn't some blacklister who is referred to all episode and only shows up in the last 5 minutes of the episode, yet somehow she rates #61 on the list.

"Someone" tipped Justice about the 86 bodies in the arena in Reston.  Who is this ass-clown Julian Gale ?  Are we supposed to know him from somewhere ?  Sure, he's Ressler's old partner from his days chasing Reddington, but is he gunning for his own spinoff ?

Who translated the motel guest records into Braille ?  And for good measure, he's a voyeur who records the audio from all the rooms on old school audio tapes.  How convenient.

Bounty hunting as performance art -- sure, whatever. How does Red know Philomena's history such that he can track down her prior clients ?
This Blacklister sounds like a repeat from S1 or S2 -- someone who absorbs themselves into their mark's lives in pursuit of the long con.

A Tom reference, but no mention of redemption.  Agnes has a huge head. Like really, really huge.  Did Lizzie have a C section ?

Is this Philomena stuff from a different show ?  Did the scripts get mixed up somehow with Redemption 2.0 ?  Because she is basically a female Tom Keen who enjoys using tazers.

Gale is reconstructing poor dead Diane Fowler's living room because all of it was conveniently kept in storage -- seriously ?

Why is Dembe in a hospital bed in a private residence exactly ?  Oh, that's right he was shot in the leg with an arrow, but seems to have recovered really quickly.
And why is Dembe not just a little bit pissed that Red went after Dembe's family in order to find him ?

I don't think Marvin Gerrrard understands the concept of going to ground.  Seriously, WTF ?

If Philomena only had a 10 minute lead, how did she drag Marvin's unconscious body to yet another warehouse, tie him up on a chair, and still bother to lead Keen/Navabi on a wild goose chase.  Why would she bother to use an easily trackable rental car ?  Why wouldn't they have used Gerard's sister's car which wasn't damaged in the bicycle accident ?  This makes absolutely no sense.

Navabi gets a fellowship -- no one cares.  Oh, and Aram recommended her, so she turns it down.  FFS ! Stop with this stupid plot line.

Philomena was almost as disappointing as the Kings of the Highway -- she could have been completely absent from this episode and it really wouldn't have made a difference.

• Love 3

OMG, is no one watching this anymore?  I tuned in a little, but, seeing Lizzie......it's so boring....I'm not sure why I just don't want to see her.  I don't even think Mr. Kaplan cares either. lol  

• Love 1

I like the idea that Mr. Kaplan is tearing apart Red's organization.  She dug up 86 bodies.  I am thinking Ressler and his former task force buddy are going to dig into Red and Lizzie putting the task force into a tough spot.  

All this is actually fairly interesting. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I don't recognize this guy who just got tazed at all.  Are we supposed to know who he is ?  Because I've got nothing, but apparently he's connected to Red.

It's Marshal Marshall! http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0119115/

He plays "Joe Peracchio" but we don't know what he does for Red.

What did Mr. Kaplan do to Agnes' actual babysitter?  If she didn't "dispose" of her, then she's a pretty bad babysitter for leaving Agnes with someone she doesn't know.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

So Enrique Murciano's Julian Gale is supposed to be David Caruso as Horatio Caine on CSI: Miami?  Because really what is that guy's deal?  And what's he going to do or say when he finds out Ressler is part of a task team with Red?

Is it wrong that every time Lizzie is on screen I want to get up and do something else until she's gone?

I really hate that TPTB have made Samar such a bitter whatever.  Was it so that people would like Lizzie?  You turn down some high fallutin" fellowship because Aram recommended you at this particular time?  Get over yourself!  Aram really needs to stop trying to placate her.

I just new Fisher Stevens was going to get caught after Red told him to leave town and he was so not worried.

Waiting for Mr. Kaplan's end game even though it can't possibly end well.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 6

Well, I am all about this Julian Gale guy. I guess a couple lines of dialogue gives Ressler a back story. But this new guy is awesome and a bit hot, so I'm voting for him to get his own spin off, and bring ginger Ressler with him. I'd be good with that. Meanwhile, I don't have a clue why task force defends Red. WTH. Who is playing whom? After Mr. Kaplan's story last week, I'm Team Kate and want Red to get sent to prison for good, if not killed, which would be more permanent. Although this is Spader's show so I guess that's not going to happen. But I now can't stand his constant blathering on about nothing and his quirky lip movements. I still don't get why he needed to kill Kate yet Dembe gets off with a mystery gift and a promise of BFF. I do love Fisher Stevens, and LOL at him stuck to the pole for the cops to retrieve. I, too, don't have a clue who that first guy was. And yes, Agnes's head is GINORMOUS! And I'm guessing there was no babysitter, Lizzie just leaves Agnes like she leaves those dogs, to fend for herself and Lizzie will be back one of these days. Maybe.

I'm disliking Samar as much as I dislike Lizzie, which is saying a lot. Both need to go.

• Love 3

I am one of the few people who don't dislike Lizzie.  I do however dislike Red.  It's weird as much as Red gives  the task force he takes more.  At this point they all should be questioning of working with Red is worth the cost.

Yes this is Spader's show but I am on team Kate and I am even kinda rooting for Julian Gale.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Yes this is Spader's show but I am on team Kate and I am even kinda rooting for Julian Gale.

Yes, but what will Gale do to Ressler when he finds out what's going on.

Also, why did anyone think that Red's fingerprints would be on a record-cleaning brush (if I understood that correctly)? Gale even believes, through extraordinary intuition, that the record was already playing when Red entered the room.  Does he also intuit that Red removed the record, brushed it, and put it away, and that the cleaner then remembered to remove his fingerprints from the record and record sleeve, but not the brush?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This so much so.  I spent the entire time watching this hoping that Kate would pull through unscathed and that Red and the stupid taskforce would be taken down.  I have watched this show since the beginning because I like the grayness of it all.  But, ever since Red shot Kate because of the Lizzie, I HATE HIM.  I am all for him getting brought down and then Mr. Kaplan can be the new lead (HA!).  I hope that Julian does pull something together (clearly without Ressler, who has long drank the Red Kool-Aid, no matter how many times they throw some random line in there about how he doesn't like working with Red...ugh, yeah you do) and is the guy who takes down Red.  If they touch Kate, I'll be really mad.

2 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I really hate that TPTB have made Samar such a bitter whatever.  Was it so that people would like Lizzie?  You turn down some high fallutin" fellowship because Aram recommended you at this particular time?  Get over yourself!  Aram really needs to stop trying to placate her.

Holy geez yes.  This was just stupid and I did not need to waste my time watching Aram being a moron again and Samar being some ice queen.  Ugh.

• Love 3

Yeah why is Samur mad at Aram?

i haven't watched the show since Red shot Kate.  It was around that point the show got too.....I don't know "something" for me.  Don't get me wrong there have been times I have genuinely liked the show and I actually do like Elizabeth Keen more then some do apparently.   I really did like the Lizzie on the run storyline.  That is still among my favorites.  Still the show has been on a downturn lately and I think Mr, Kaplan's revenge may be the storyline to bring the show back to a show I like again.

Then again Mr. Kaplan is awesome and if anyone should have their own spinoff it is her,

• Love 1

I'm Team Mr. Kaplan.  I so want her to obliterate Red, but I know it won't happen.  Whatever, the reveal is about Red and Lizzie's past will be boring or idiotic.  It won't be the dramatic shocking incident the writers believe.

What should happen after Mr. Kaplan, Red, Dembe, and whoever else end up in Vienna is - yes the government would cut these people loose, and save their own asses.  They would then end up dead, in prison, or on the run.

Apparently, even hotel clerks secretly tape people.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Whatever, the reveal is about Red and Lizzie's past will be boring or idiotic.  It won't be the dramatic shocking incident the writers believe.

I agree.  We have what left to resolve? Whether Red is actually Liz's father, what happened to her mother, and who was the "bad guy" Liz shot and killed when she was like 5?

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

I agree.  We have what left to resolve? Whether Red is actually Liz's father, what happened to her mother, and who was the "bad guy" Liz shot and killed when she was like 5?

Why Kirk backed off from killing Red after Red whispered in his ear?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

ON 4/23/2017 AT 0:31 AM, VINCEW SAID:  ......In the preview for next week, Mr. Kaplan is holding Agnes when Liz comes home. Maybe Kate speaks something in Russian to Liz at some point and it jogs her memory about her childhood and the fact that Kate was her nanny.

Kate:   “You are safe, You are loved, You are wise”.

Liz:      “Where did you hear those words?  I know those words”.

Kate:   "You and I were very close once.  You knew me as Katya.  I was your nanny.”

Liz:      “I don’t believe you”

Liz should be moved now to get her memory back ("I just found out Kate Kaplan held me as a baby"). Unless Kate reveals herself as doing something dark while working under Red, I don’t see how Liz could abandon her. At this point, it doesn't look like things will end well for Red.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

Woo hoo.  Shout out and product placement for Discwasher.  Flashback to the LPs and the 70's, and I still have mine. 

I was surprised also that Philomena was so easily detected and eventually caught, but I was more surprised that Gerrard would give himself away by uttering "I thought you said you just met her".  It must really suck to have to taser yourself. 

I was waiting for Lizzie to reply to Red's question about Tom with "He's not doing so well.  The ratings are tanking.  He may have to come back."

I have a hunch that Agent Asshat is not really back with the FBI.  He might be working with Mr. Kaplan or some independent entity.  And notice that no one was very perturbed that there might be another mole in the FBI fingerprint section?  Are they all that complacent now?

Well there was one bit that I loved because it made me think the writers have browsed this forum and noticed my post about it. Donald Ressler finally fesses up and admits outright that he shit the bed when it came to the Reven Wright case. As I said when the episode aired, if Ressler had bothered to go find some evidence rather than snitting at Hitchens he might have actually be able to find something!

Aram should tell Navabi to get lost in such a manner as "I have a girlfriend whose definition of casual wear is a leather mini and who loves taking showers with me any chance she gets... neither of which are things you've shown any interest in. So while I'm over here having the time of my life with someone I actually have something in common with, you can sit over there and be passive-aggressive." He should give up trying to do favors for her (or passively-aggressively trying to get rid of her) and just give her straight strict work courtesy. No more or less polite than he has to be for daily interactions.

Any fans of The Boondock Saints here? Remember when Det. Greenly was trying to impress his fellow detectives by coming up with a ridiculous theory about what was going on and they were all rolling their eyes at him? That is what Ressler's old partner reminded me of. He was totally a copy of Greenly except meant to be taken seriously which is why I couldn't.

Even though I appreciate Red's sentiment for Dembe and his apologies and whatnot I can't help but wonder if Dembe is thinking of course I'm your friend. If I wasn't I could wreck your shit just like Kate is doing right now.

Is Spader bored with this series? Did he tell the writers to make him Red Stark? This criminal network was built to protect Liz, she clearly does not need it anymore; therefore, Red has no reason to stick around.

Who is the actress that played Philomena, she looks familiar?

Did Ressler really run the fingerprint or is Red one of those KGB substitutes from BL Redemption? Was Fowler considered missing ie was her house treated as a crime scene or was her stuff simply put into storage.

Does everyone clean an album off before they put it away? Those of you who remember albums and record players, search your memory banks. Me, I never did. So why would Red? And if he did and put the record away, how would Julian know it was playing when the shooting happened? And Tom ... LOL at Lizzie saying he's not doing well because finding out who is parents are is SO DIFFICULT. Like killing people every week isn't stressful, but the trauma of finding your father ... OMG, the torment!

I would have really laughed if, after Mr. Kaplan left, Lizzie found her babysitter -- the pony-tail guy Red assigned -- hogtied in the closet.

If it's the show's director that had the Julian Gale character act like such an over-the-top, poor man's David Caruso parody of an FBI agent, they need to stop right now. This show is ridiculous enough without this nonsense. 

Lizzie continues to amaze me on a weekly basis with her cluelessness. Is it really so hard to believe that Mr Kaplan could have been your nanny, you ninny?  You didn't exactly have a Norman Rockwell upbringing. If Tom is smart, he'll say "Fuck it" and stay with his own crazy family. 

And why would Red have had any reason to touch a record cleaning brush?  I'm a child of the 70's, and I never heard of such a thing, and my Pink Floyd records sounded fine. 

Edited by Johnny Dollar
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Susan Misner. I recognize her from playing Stan Beeman's wife on The Americans.

Well then two actresses on the same episode with The Americans petigree.   I recognized the woman Philomena targeted as Clea Lewis who plays Deidra  Philip's latest honeytraps.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

The Discwasher system was the brush and a fluid that you put either on the brush or the record, and then lightly held the brush to the grooves as you manually turned the record around on the turntable.  It was claimed to remove dirt and other stuff from the grooves of the record.  I generally used it before, not after playing the records.  However, a man of Reddington's style would not handle a record such that his fingerprints would be on the grooves anyway, so the question would be moot.  And he would also clean the brush afterward, if he used it.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2017 at 5:30 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Navabi gets a fellowship -- no one cares.  Oh, and Aram recommended her, so she turns it down.  FFS ! Stop with this stupid plot line.

I am so tired of Samar Navabi. I know she's supposedly jealous of Aram and whats-her-face, but it doesn't come off that way. Instead, it just comes off that she's a bitch ... again ... to Aram for no reason at all. Maybe she'll get shot next week and we won't have to see or hear her ever again. Or maybe this whole series is winding up this season. Either way, I won't complain.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I am so tired of Samar Navabi. I know she's supposedly jealous of Aram and whats-her-face, but it doesn't come off that way. Instead, it just comes off that she's a bitch ... again ... to Aram for no reason at all. Maybe she'll get shot next week and we won't have to see or hear her ever again. Or maybe this whole series is winding up this season. Either way, I won't complain.

In the Aram deposition given to WH Counsel Panabaker, he explains away the security breach on his laptop as part of an ongoing issue with having bad taste in women. In a later conversation with Samar, he professes that he can't be with a person like Elise because she is a spy, but yet he carries on with her. It is hard to tell what the writers are trying to accomplish with this so-called love triangle story, but clearly Samar has been hurt by his lies. The scholarship offer might be a prelude to Samar leaving the show or a set up for some kind of final relationship drama between them in the season finale.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, VinceW said:

Liz:      “I don’t believe you”

oh, that was painful to watch.  Really, of all the things that have gone on, this is something you don't believe??  It is amazing that they could literally take out her character and no one would miss her.  I'm in it for the Red vs. Kaplan showdown and I'm hoping Kaplan wins.

• Love 2

I think Samar is just a bitch in general. And I'm another who feels Liz contributes nothing to this show, and in fact it would be better w/o her. Meanwhile, I'm rooting for Team Kaplan.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Samar calm the hell down. What are they doing to her character? I don't know why she is so bitchy all the time.  Is she in love with Aram or just pissed at him in general?

She wants him, she doesn't want him, she doesn't want anyone else to have him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She wants him, she doesn't want him, she doesn't want anyone else to have him.

In the end, she wants to be 'on top' of things....

• Love 1
On 4/28/2017 at 11:51 AM, milkyaqua said:

So Enrique Murciano's Julian Gale is supposed to be David Caruso as Horatio Caine on CSI: Miami?  Because really what is that guy's deal?  And what's he going to do or say when he finds out Ressler is part of a task team with Red?

Somebody buy CIRay a neckbrace AND some acting lessons. Unwatchable