Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Latching

3 hours ago, colorbars said:

I was wondering how much of it was old footage, a lot of the show blends together for me, and I didn't recognize everything. I thought maybe the last few bits was at least new?

Everything is old footage except for Hannah walking away from her mother.  Hannah has a very lovely and bright home (judging by the 5 frames).

Um.. huh? What the hell? 6 seasons and this is how it ends? I mean.. huh?

Terrible baby name. Also what the hell was this?  I feel like this episode was.. just an episode? Neither Hannah nor Marnie have aged or matured well. I hate them both. 

Also I get what Lorriane was saying about Marnie not having a best friend if she ignored her happiness because she did but Tad was never honest with either of them. Lorriane was surprised when he said he was gay, she never suspected it so she didn't ignore something that was always present. She didn't have the information. So that scene didn't make sense.

I do think Marnie and Hannah have a real friendship and do care about each other and I think Marnie was 50% wanting to be there for Hannah but also 50% wants it to be known she's the bestest friend ever.

Um.. I honestly have no idea what this was? Nothing made sense and we ended up with these characters still flailing around. Like look I didn't want things to be wrapped up in a nice bow but this feels like a really bad unfinished story. Like it was just kind of over. I mean.. huh? 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, woodscommaelle said:

Delvin.  Could there be a better name for someone Marnie is interested in?

Show, I'll miss you! This may have been one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Can you please explain how/why??

• Love 2
Just now, CofCinci said:

This is one of the worst finales ever. Seemed like a filler episode.  I wanted to stop watching but I thought that maybe we'd get a fast forward/where are they now ending.  

It really was. Although to me this whole season wasn't that great. I thought the finale would at least be interesting. But it was so boring and seemed like Lena was like oh i need ten episodes and just sort of wrote this. Nothing happened and Marnie and Hannah are even worse off when we met them 6 years ago. Which reminds me.. six years or this?!!'

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I'm curious what everyone hated about it.

It was 30 minutes of getting the sometimes fake baby to latch on to her fake prosthetic breast. 

It was 30 minutes of Hannah without pants. 

Also, since they're close to Tivoli, she must teach at Bard. 

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 15
Just now, CofCinci said:

It was 30 minutes of getting the sometimes fake baby to latch on to her fake prosthetic breast. 

It was 30 minutes of Hannah without pants. 

For me it was 30 minutes of nothing happening. Nothing was wrapped up in the story. And also how Marnie wants to be a lawyer or something? I mean.. huh? Nothing happened, except the baby was finally born. And then it was just like over. The hell? 

• Love 10

Well.  That's it.  I truly enjoyed this series.  I can't say any of it changed my life, but I think that's because I'm Lorene's age.  Actually I think I'm a couple of years older than the actress who plays her.  It was fun though.  Entertaining and well acted.  I don't think there was anyway to "end" it, because it's not the end of Hannah and company.  I like the paths that every one appears to be now traveling.  Now it's tIme to find a new show to watch!

• Love 10

Didn't really like it either.  No big deal, still really liked the show as a whole.  Last week's episode was solid.  

Lena Dunham did say this was more like an epilogue.  And she was right.  This was like watching the last 15 minutes of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, where all the fun stuff has already happened, and everyone is aware we're just limping towards an eventual conclusion because the journey is already over.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I liked Lorene yelling at Hannah about how she couldn't delete his phone number, etc. But I feel as if she had been tougher on Hannah when H was much younger, H wouldn't be such a mess today.  

Then we wouldn't have had the entire run of GIRLS.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

I loved this season so much, but this was terrible.

Would have preferred last week as the finale.

I'm one of the small few who disliked this season but yes last weeks episode was a better end than this. But still.. this season was probably was my least favorite. I did enjoy the show but this does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 4
Just now, Otherkate said:

I loved this season so much, but this was terrible.

Would have preferred last week as the finale.

I think last week was the finale, in the sense that we generally think about those. Each major character got their ending, the big relationship questions were resolved, we got one last fun party scene. This week was more of a coda, and I liked that Hannah is still Hannah. No sudden maturity as a result of giving birth; still selfish and bewildered and struggling to figure it out.

That said, I can't say I loved this. It certainly didn't wow me, and I wasn't particularly moved by it. Not the highest of notes to go out on, but I'll miss this show.

• Love 11

Ok so: Marnie has no job (and is disturbingly skeletal), Lorene is supposed to be tenured but never actually seems to go to her job, and Hannah's Voyage of Self Discovery -- once again -- doesn't find the whole working thing to be worth much consideration.

Also:

-That opening shot was as easy to predict as winter STILL not showing up.

-Hannah's disability is back! It made an appearance in a throwaway reference.

-African-Americans were -- comparatively -- prominent in this episode! Marnie sang along to a Tracy Chapman song AND a Black Officer Friendly all but offered a pantless-while-wandering Hannah a binky while he made sure she got home safely to Downton Horvath.

-More stunningly imaginative writing as bratty girl-child Hannah learns a very valuable lesson when she meets another bratty girl-child AND we learn some new uses for some very familiar tools as Hannah discovers Grover is as bored with her breasts as we are. 

And: If your bits were still healing and you were bleeding, you would be wearing some seriously different underwear.

• Love 21

I found it deeply disappointing. Last weeks was a better series finale, and I don't mind this being the coda, the epilogue. But I just didn't care. Which is sad because I am sad about the show ending. Part of it, of course, is that I just don't care about babies. I don't care about a baby not taking the breast. I could not be more bored by this kind of storyline. And Hannah still being so immature and so abusive to people who are trying to help her, even if it is just Marnie, who I don't even like, was disappointing, if  I suppose, realistic. People don't change all that much usually, and maturing takes time. Making a baby doesn't make one mature.

I didn't expect or want everything tied up in a neat little bow but I didn't really feel like we got good endings for the other characters--are Jessa and Adam actually still together?---and I do care more about the other characters than the new baby. Hannah is not the only story I'm interested in. I would have rather had a true finale, but I guess I'll just consider last weeks that.

this is pretty much the first episode I've ever actually liked Hannah's mom. 

How on earth does hannah afford that really nice little house? 

Oh well. Disappointment in the finale aside, I really was fond of this little show, and I really will miss it.

• Love 18

The finale made sense to me, because basically the "friendships" between all of the girls as a group was over and done with in last week's episode.

The series finale was always going to be centered around Hannah and her choice to become a single parent. I wasn't shocked to see how utterly self centered, selfish and ridiculous she still is, but I loved that Lorene lit into her ass about her needing to get her shit together for her baby. Of course Marnie would see herself as "winning" being Hannah's friend. She can totally focus on messed up Hannah and not her own life.

• Love 8

I just feel empty and meh about not only this episode but this whole season. I honestly can't remember one episode from this season that I will always remember. I can think of at least six from every other season but this one and I probably won't remember this finale. If anything I think the season finale a year ago was much better.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, stagmania said:

I think last week was the finale, in the sense that we generally think about those. Each major character got their ending, the big relationship questions were resolved, we got one last fun party scene. This week was more of a coda, and I liked that Hannah is still Hannah. No sudden maturity as a result of giving birth; still selfish and bewildered and struggling to figure it out.

That said, I can't say I loved this. It certainly didn't wow me, and I wasn't particularly moved by it. Not the highest of notes to go out on, but I'll miss this show.

I agree ... This finale was boring. It was a realistic portrayal of the anxiety a new mom may get post parting when breastfeeding is not going well but Hannah was such a jerk to Marnie.  In fact Marnie seemed like such a welcome breath of fresh air... Until she started doing those selfies in the mirror in her lingerie. That seemed kind of creepy idk why. But honestly Hannah didn't appreciate Marnie like she should have - even if she was paying her to help - as Marnie was such a natural with little Grover and was so mature about taking car of him when Hannah clearly couldn't do it on. Her own. Btw, why the hell did Hannah give her a hard time about going out one night ?? Smh

• Love 3

This was the nexus of a fantasy young-adult life running headlong into a real adult-life (the viewing demo) and it turning up cold.  We were all with Hannah being garbage until she needed to not be garbage...and she turned up short.

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Also, since they're close to Tivoli, she must teach at Bard. 

Yeah, the fancy street lamps seemed more like Westchester than upstate. The upstate I'm from has roads speckled with manufactured homes and abandoned federals. It would have been awesome to see a pantsless Hannah chased by meth-heads or a bear.

• Love 13

This felt more like one of the show's weird season openers, setting the stage for the theme/tone of the new season, than it did a series finale. I get that they seemed to want to end on a note that was more about the beginning of something than the end of it, I suppose, but last week's ending had a much bigger impact. Not even a pretty song for the last scene? It's just leaves me with such an 'okay, and?' feeling at the end.

The only scene that really amused me was the beginning, with Marnie being Marnie, celebrating her win as Hannah's Best Friend.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Yes, as I said, "...the scene distracted me with an unpleasant memory." I have a wasting neuromuscular disease and body fat was hard to get at one time. 

Side note: I'm sorry to hear about your neuromuscular disease as someone who suffers one as well but not one that causes lacking body fat I feel your pain.

Back to the show I was just very like waiting for something? And the lack of  a montage was odd. We ended with Hannah singing over dead air at times. Just so.. odd. I really wanted Hannah and Marnie to have a season 1 Dancing on my own moment. I wanted some other nostalgic scene besides the called for opening we got.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

Side note: I'm sorry to hear about your neuromuscular disease as someone who suffers one as well but not one that causes lacking body fat I feel your pain.

Back to the show I was just very like waiting for something? And the lack of  a montage was odd. We ended with Hannah singing over dead air at times. Just so.. odd.

It's ok! -- happy to report that my ass has gone from a Marnie to a Hannah thanks to a careful diet of heavy snacks. Best wishes to you.

Yeah, I've often felt that the show tries to pass off incomplete story-telling as artful minimalism.

6 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

but if she's still bleeding from her vagina, why the fuck is she not wearing at least a pantiliner? Gods how I wish I didn't have to think about plot holes of this nature...)

Preach. As Chekhov said, If you have a bleeding choochie in the first act, you must have something with a stay-dry liner by the end of the third.

• Love 18