Type keyword(s) to search

Flip or Flop Las Vegas - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:15 AM, MsTree said:

Absolutely not. Most of us are quite normal. I don't know where she gets her "style" from. Maybe she visited one too many brothels.

I guess we could just coin it " Brothel Glam". She's very big on the glam word. She.says.it.all.the.time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 3/26/2019 at 1:13 PM, ByaNose said:

I guess we could just coin it " Brothel Glam". She's very big on the glam word. She.says.it.all.the.time.

Just from the way she dresses and styles her hair, I'd say she's big on Hooker Glam.

• LOL 3

I've only seen brothels on TV and those don't look as tacky as Aubrey's designs. 

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Wasn't she a showgirl in Vegas at one time? That could explain some of it.

I don't think so because showgirls are required to be tall. I guess it depends what kind of "show" she was in.

I was surprised how vocal Bristol was about not liking her ugly crap. He's always agreed with her so I'm curious why he suddenly grew a pair and told her no. Maybe he reads these boards...

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I was surprised how vocal Bristol was about not liking her ugly crap. He's always agreed with her so I'm curious why he suddenly grew a pair and told her no. Maybe he reads these boards...

Not only was he skeptical of some of her tacky crap, one of the faux "buyers" commented that the purple doors could be repainted white.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

one of the faux "buyers" commented that the purple doors could be repainted white.

It would be cheaper (and less work) to buy all new doors. I don't think the paint store has enough primer to cover them all 😎

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Didn't catch the first two episodes until now. Oh my.

The first house was probably the messiest design we've seen of hers. Everything was a pattern or color and nothing seemed to mesh. Add on the staging and it looked like a cluttered disaster zone. For starters, not every room or old light fixture needs to be replaced with a giant chandelier or pendant. Just look at this one angle, you can see 11 different light fixtures!

ISibohgu2egrc90000000000.jpg

It also looks like the deal they showed fell through and it is still on the market, with another price reduction. Now $465k
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/4317-APEX-DRIVE-LAS-VEGAS,-NV-89147_rb/

The second episodes house was at first a huge wtf. But once they got into basically building a new home it had a bit of charm for a little 2 bedroom. Kind of a weird layout but I really liked the beams, the two lofts and especially the front curb appeal. They made it look really nice.....then Aubry went to designing the finishing touches. How many times is she going to push purple or pink on her flips? They've already had one buyer write in a request to repaint the pink cabinets in a kitchen of theirs. Now we have agents/buyers talking about the purple that needs to be repainted. So bad. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that house on any site or where they are renting it out at. I'm assuming AirBnB. 

Looking at some other homes they have for sale, it looks like the themes this season will be lots of wood chandeliers and faux beams everywhere.

On the plus side, they are more honest about closing costs compared to what FoF Nashville has been stating. Also glad that Bristol is being more vocal in his dislike for some design choices. Probably because they have had many properties from previous seasons not actually sell when they said they did. I'm also impressed with the deals Aubry finds on materials. 

• Love 3

This condo was a hot mess.  Aubrey kept emphasizing how there was no storage in the unit, but the only thing she did to add storage was the custom closet unit.  Everything else was completely useless.  That green built in shelving unit was so ugly and took up way too much space.  I agreed about removing the kitchen pantry and replacing it with a cabinet pantry to save space, but then they put it that monster piece which made the eating area look 10x smaller than before.  The spray painted gold shelves were horrid, but then to frame the ugly green hood with them, made the entire wall look even worse.  The green/grey color scheme didn't work.   They would have saved a bunch of money by keeping the floor tile.  It looked to be in good shape and wasn't outdated.  I glad Bristol put his foot down about the wallpaper on the ceiling.  The "agents" touring the home at the end were so full of it!  I highly doubted the house sold in 3 days.  I looked it up and according to the records, it was pending an offer 3 days after listing and officially sold 32 days later.  I'm shocked!  I wish they would have a follow up to all these homes - I would love to see what the new buyers changed.  

On a vain note, Aubrey's eyebrows look so much better when she doesn't "do them".  Also, I would think if she wanted to be taken seriously in real estate, she wouldn't dress like a hooker to a business seminar where she is a feature speaker.  Or host an open house looking like a hooker from the 1980's - the high hair and hot pink lipstick make her look just as tacky as her designs.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 4

The "cubbies" above the nook bench are ridiculous! There's no way you can sit back without bumping your head. Besides they were too cumbersome and just looked awful.

Hate those fish scale tiles, and agree the dark grey and dark green did not work at all.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, juliet73 said:

That green built in shelving unit was so ugly and took up way too much space. 

So true. It was heavy, clunky and dark. Other than a spot to display a few nick-knacks it didn't provide any real useful storage.

Edited by Kenzie
  • Love 4

Aubrey did flooring on the ceiling. Nuff said. They went with a beach theme. It’s not a horrible idea. Unfortunately, her taste scale is horrible so everything was so mismatched and ugly. The backyard with the pool did look nice though. They really didn’t need too much to it so she couldn't mess it up that much. They just redid the pool tile and some landscaping. I did appreciate her husband giving her the side a few times and looking at her like she was nuts on her design ideas. I like him more for that now. LOL!!!!

• Love 3

If I hear Aubrey say "beachy" one more time...!!!  The pool tile is the same tile she used in a bathroom last week - it looked way better in the pool!  The front and backyard turned out nice, but as usual, the interior is HORRIBLE!  There is way too much going on!  Too many styles, too many textures, too much "Aubrey"! I kind of liked the master bath shower, but the frames around the mirrors looked like dryer balls.  Don't even get me started on the real wood floor on the ceiling!!  I hate that they always paint the doors, baseboards and trims blue, or dark grey or pink - just leave them white already!!  I'm not surprised there weren't any offers at $365k.  However, I am bit shocked the house appraised for $348k!  I would have thought the very low 300's at the most.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, juliet73 said:

If I hear Aubrey say "beachy" one more time...!!!  The pool tile is the same tile she used in a bathroom last week - it looked way better in the pool!  The front and backyard turned out nice, but as usual, the interior is HORRIBLE!  There is way too much going on!  Too many styles, too many textures, too much "Aubrey"! I kind of liked the master bath shower, but the frames around the mirrors looked like dryer balls.  Don't even get me started on the real wood floor on the ceiling!!  I hate that they always paint the doors, baseboards and trims blue, or dark grey or pink - just leave them white already!!  I'm not surprised there weren't any offers at $365k.  However, I am bit shocked the house appraised for $348k!  I would have thought the very low 300's at the most.  

I too was shocked by the appraisal of the house. I honestly don’t know what’s involved in appraisals but I was surprised because the house couldn’t sell at its listing price. I know a listing price & an appraisal don’t go hand in hand but I didn’t think it was worth the price in the $300,000. I thought Vegas was cheap. Also, the house wasn’t very big and the backyard was all pool. Oh, and Aubrey’s style is horrendous. That goes without saying. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I too was shocked by the appraisal of the house. I honestly don’t know what’s involved in appraisals but I was surprised because the house couldn’t sell at its listing price. I know a listing price & an appraisal don’t go hand in hand but I didn’t think it was worth the price in the $300,000. I thought Vegas was cheap. Also, the house wasn’t very big and the backyard was all pool. Oh, and Aubrey’s style is horrendous. That goes without saying. 

Vegas housing prices have been increasing in the last few years.  However, the property taxes in Vegas are cheap...super cheap!  I looked up the house and it is just under 1900 sq ft.  Taxes are $1100/yr.  The backyard is about average size for a tract home.  I'm still surprised it sold for $348k!  I realized after looking at it on the map, I'm kind of familiar with the area because I have family who live in that neighborhood.  One lives on the next street over from this week's house and another who lives two streets over.  It's not a "bad" area, but it is older (by Vegas standards).  The homes were built in the 70's and 80's and most of them look like it.  Driving by, there's not much curb appeal to any of the homes.  For almost $350k, there are much nicer areas/houses than this one.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 1
(edited)

So I live in their hood and was looking at local condos - came across this beauty of theirs:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9000-Las-Vegas-Blvd-S-UNIT-1082-Las-Vegas-NV-89123/66866811_zpid/

I've really liked royal blue lately, but I think they just ruined it for me.

And I'm surprised a condo that big, located on LVB, is going for that little.  Its been on the market for less than a day.

ETA: I've been looking at new flooring and I definitely won't pick what they used - shows every dusty scuff - not a positive in the desert.  Also those blue doors seem to show more dirt/dust than I would have expected.

Edited by sskrill
  • Love 1

Do you think HGTV knows that Flip or Flop Vegas is ugly but just airs it for attention?! LOL!!! They did another condo (3 weeks) and, it was beyond ugly (as usual). Bristol and Aubrey Marunde (mostly all Aubrey) have no design skills whatsoever. At least, Bristol sometimes speaks up and says WTF?

• Love 5

I wonder if that's the same one I saw the other day, ByaNose.  IMO it was the ugliest she's ever done.  She claimed she wasn't really adding much "Las Vegas glam" but that didn't help.  The overall design of the house (actually a condo I think) was fine.  It was the colours and the decor that were horrible.  Mostly  stuff that wouldn't be staying when they sell though - unlike that glitter grout from a year or two ago,  Wow, now that was beyond stupid!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 2

The "accent walls" are usually hideous, but I thought the wood one that was going to serve as a "headboard" in the condo bedroom looked okay. Until Aubrey spent $500 out of their very tight budget on neon lettering to spell out "Lucky" over the bed. One of the agents touring the condo even said she liked the wood but the neon had to go.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

The "accent walls" are usually hideous, but I thought the wood one that was going to serve as a "headboard" in the condo bedroom looked okay. Until Aubrey spent $500 out of their very tight budget on neon lettering to spell out "Lucky" over the bed. One of the agents touring the condo even said she liked the wood but the neon had to go.

I forgot all about Lucky. Even the brokers touring the condo were impressed with the headboard and said to lose the neon light. The neon light says it all about Aubrey. She tries to be all flashy because she doesn’t have any design skills.

• Love 3

I did think it was cool that they showed the local fabricator for the neon sign. $500 didn't sound too bad for a custom sign. Not right for the headboard but I would like one for the shop or a game room.

Honestly half the time I see the end result I don't know if I don't like her design or just hate the cluttered staging. They always over do it with the staging making it look so busy.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, lynxfx said:

They always over do it with the staging making it look so busy.

One of the first episodes I saw she insisted on building an island in a very small kitchen area and also insisted on putting a table in there too.  It was so tight and looked claustrophobic to me!  She maintained that buyers wouldn't even consider the house though if it didn't have that island AND a table.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

I think she and her husband seem like nice people but the "glam" element is overdone.

Yeah I hope her make up and hair and her clothes are all being done to make this show stand apart from the others not because that's the way we're supposed to think women dress to go about regular "civvie" jobs in Las Vegas!  She's got a houseful of little boys I'm betting she's got her hair in a pony tail and is wearing jeans and tennis shoes most of the time!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 2
On 4/16/2019 at 10:19 PM, ByaNose said:

I forgot all about Lucky. Even the brokers touring the condo were impressed with the headboard and said to lose the neon light. The neon light says it all about Aubrey. She tries to be all flashy because she doesn’t have any design skills.

I just saw this episode and honestly it's going into my top 5 "most ridiculous things I've seen on a flip show"  Just so dumb.  One thing though I didn't understand was that the other brokers said they could get upwards of 190k and might even have a bidding war but they decided to list for 178k even though they seemed excited at the idea of the higher amount.  Why wouldn't they at least try for the higher sale price I wonder?

• Love 1

I guess this observation from last night's episode isn't so big compared to others, but, I noticed that in the big reveal, after staging they had two white plastic lawn chairs at the dining table!  I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but, just took me off guard. I mean for her to be so picky about other stuff.  This episode was where they switched places and the husband did the design and her the construction.  Except, he didn't do the staging.  It was a cabin, natural theme.  lol  I'm not sure why the wood walls in master bedroom had to be stained with orange paint.  ???

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess this observation from last night's episode isn't so big compared to others, but, I noticed that in the big reveal, after staging they had two white plastic lawn chairs at the dining table!  I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but, just took me off guard. I mean for her to be so picky about other stuff.  This episode was where they switched places and the husband did the design and her the construction.  Except, he didn't do the staging.  It was a cabin, natural theme.  lol  I'm not sure why the wood walls in master bedroom had to be stained with orange paint.  ???

For my money, he did a far better job of 'design' than she does; if only because he's heard of neutral colors and doesn't insist on flooring and cabinets and what-all expensive stuff being green or pink or purple with sparkles.  The bathroom floor, with the hideous brown patterned tile, was a definite bad choice, though.

However, no matter which one of them does the design, they inevitably overstage the home with as much furniture, ugly artwork and weird knickknacks as possible.  I've never built a home, but I've sold a couple.  The first thing your realtor tells you is to clear out as much stuff as possible, take pictures off the walls, clear tabletops and other flat surfaces and remove extraneous furniture and generally try to let people see the actual space while minimizing the furnishings so the rooms look as large as possible.  Aubrey does exactly the opposite and her rooms make me dizzy, even without the ugly colors and weird design.

The first episode last night, the 'vintage' house built in the '60's or '70's got the full Aubrey treatment, however, including plenty of expensive fixtures painted black or red which would be a real PITA to change.  As they were working, I kept trying to picture a family living there since there were 4 bedrooms, but I couldn't.  I figured the only option would be some sort of Air B'nB arrangement as I doubt anyone would want to live there full time.  I wasn't surprised when she said they rented it out for a poker tournament rather than selling.  A space that deliberately kitschy with such a distinct color scheme is not going to wear well over the long haul, IMO.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

A space that deliberately kitschy with such a distinct color scheme is not going to wear well over the long haul, IMO.

The worst thing she did, IMO, was putting glitter in the grout.  I don't know how much that would cost to replace but I suspect almost anyone but Aubrey would NOT want glitter on the floor.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Homily said:

The worst thing she did, IMO, was putting glitter in the grout.  I don't know how much that would cost to replace but I suspect almost anyone but Aubrey would NOT want glitter on the floor.

Whats crazy is that it is a thing now. Stores like Floor & Decor carry glitter grout in a variety of colors. I've never seen anyone use it but the examples they show is with glass tile and never on the floor.

To fix would be to painstakingly grind out the grout or just rip up the floor and start over.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, CruiseDiva said:

If you look at the pic from the listing, the Lucky sign is not there.  I'm wondering if it was just "for TV" or if buyers were so turned off by it, that they removed it.  ISirs7g02lvs2g1000000000.jpg

On 4/18/2019 at 1:58 AM, lynxfx said:

Honestly half the time I see the end result I don't know if I don't like her design or just hate the cluttered staging. They always over do it with the staging making it look so busy.

It's both.  Her designs are horrible and then she stages with too many ugly accessories.  

10 hours ago, Homily said:

One thing though I didn't understand was that the other brokers said they could get upwards of 190k and might even have a bidding war but they decided to list for 178k even though they seemed excited at the idea of the higher amount.  Why wouldn't they at least try for the higher sale price I wonder?

Those "brokers" are full of it.  I'm sure they are paid to walk in and rave about how amazing the house looks and they could get top dollar for it when in reality, they know it's a hot mess!

I just binge watched the 4 most recent episodes.  Aside, from the usual Aubrey tackiness, it annoys me that she constantly refers to condos or smaller sized homes having "tiny" kitchens/bathrooms.  I don't know how big she expects these rooms to be when the house is only 800 sq ft.  Also, I hate that she refers to the group of 4 - 5 condos (all in the same complex) that they renovated this season (and last season) as being located on the strip. Yes, they are on the same road but are not considered or even close to "The Strip".  One would have to drive about 10 mins without traffic before hitting "The Strip".  I'm not liking how 3 of the homes this season have turned out to be rentals.  It's making it hard for me to look up the real truth about listings - ie days on the market and how much they sold for, etc.

Their older son looks like Bristol, but unfortunately, inherited his mom's bad taste as he proved when picking out granite with her.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 4

I didn't care for the Bristol designed townhouse, but at least he used more of a neutral palate.  The huge light fixtures and orange wall were ugly.  And he shouldn't have left the staging up to Aubrey.  The beams would have looked nicer in a bigger house with higher ceilings.

1 hour ago, juliet73 said:
Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I didn't care for the Bristol designed townhouse, but at least he used more of a neutral palate.  The huge light fixtures and orange wall were ugly.

Bristol used those concrete tiles on a bathroom floor and even though they weren't weirdly bright, someone at the open house said they were too busy. I think he also used them on a shower floor, which is a huge fail. Shower floors must have small tiles in order for the installer to properly create a slope to the drain. I learned that when remodeling our master bathroom.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 2:23 AM, lynxfx said:

The first house was probably the messiest design we've seen of hers. Everything was a pattern or color and nothing seemed to mesh. Add on the staging and it looked like a cluttered disaster zone. For starters, not every room or old light fixture needs to be replaced with a giant chandelier or pendant. Just look at this one angle, you can see 11 different light fixtures!

ISibohgu2egrc90000000000.jpg

It also looks like the deal they showed fell through and it is still on the market, with another price reduction. Now $465k
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/4317-APEX-DRIVE-LAS-VEGAS,-NV-89147_rb/

It been reduced again.  Now it's down to $449k.  It's been listed for 134 days and counting...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4317-Apex-Dr-Las-Vegas-NV-89147/7136379_zpid/

Tonight's episodes were both awful!  Aubrey needs to stick to one type of texture for an accent.  Metal, brick and wood all in a "tiny" condo is just way too much!!  Her built-ins are always so huge and they make the room that much smaller.  If she scaled them back, as well as the accessories and "glam" by 50%, the outcomes would look so much better.  Again with her saying this "condo on the strip."  Nope.  It's in the same complex as the other 3 they did this season - at least a 10 min drive to the entrance of the strip.  I agree with the broker - way too much blue!  She could have used more neutral colors in a couple of the rooms and used blue accessories and linens to tie the house together.  Same with the pink house.  The pink shower tile looked very outdated.  The white tile should have been used all the way down instead along with a pink curtain or pink towels. It would have been way more pleasing to potential buyers.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 6

I wonder if HGTV is burning off their episodes?  Two new ones this week and next.     I think I'll drop my season pass after this one is over.  While they'll usually have a good idea or two in each project, the weird "glam" add-ons just make the houses unappealing to a lot of potential buyers and me!  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That pink shower gave me flashbacks to when I was house hunting, and saw so many original pink tiled baths.   

I immediately had visions of my grandmother's 1949 bathroom. The only thing missing was a cap strip of black tile above the pink tile. The color looked dated, not retro.

• Love 5

Just watched the episode with the house with the pink bathroom.  Whoever said that Aubrey's taste seems to be 'bordello chic/glam' deserves an award.  That place was over designed, had too many conflicting styles and was too busy for my minimalist mindset.  

• Love 2

Whoever said that Aubrey's taste seems to be 'bordello chic/glam' deserves an award. 

Aw, thanks. (Think it was I. A couple years ago I wrote something to the effect that her places looked like brothels from the Old West, Hollywood-style. "Bordello glam" is much more succinct. )

I've recently watched the last couple of shows and am still amazed that people like her rather dizzying display of patterns and colors and tchotchkes. BUT I give this couple credit for one major thing. They don't get greedy like some of these flippers do by attaching some ridiculously jacked-up price to their homes. They really seem to price their homes to sell quickly, frequently listing them lower than the (bogus) brokers suggest.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, mojito said:

They really seem to price their homes to sell quickly, frequently listing them lower than the (bogus) brokers suggest.

Unfortunately we have seen time and time again that what is shown to have sold on the show didn't actually sell. Like that $500k house which is nearing half a year on the market and $50k in price reductions.

I don't know what the deal is but most that they say they got an offer a couple days after the open house end up having the offer fall through. They usually do sell shortly after that but not always. I'm more interested in how much they are getting for the ones they end up renting out. The poker house claimed to get a $70k rental contract for a few months. Now that is pretty good business since they can still sell after.

• Love 1

Catching up on episodes. Sometimes I think Aubrey designs like she's in a real life version of the sims or Barbie dreamland. Crazy designs aside I still like that she knows construction, materials, and is thrifty. As another poster mentioned I also like that they aren't greedy and don't overprice things. 

FYI, the Las Vegas housing market went up fast in mid 2018, but it has really stagnated in 2019. That's why the properties sold so fast last season but not so much recently. Also, it looks like the house on Apex is pending.

• Love 1

Househunting this past week-end and one of the houses we saw must have been staged after the owners saw one too many Flip shows.  Especially this one.  The colours were over the top, every door that could have one had a barn door and the thing that made me think of Bristol and Aubrey was the accent wall that doubled as a headboard - distressed wood with vertical lines in an acid green colour painted through it.  What were they thinking???

I bet they were trying desperately to fit in another trendy feature, and are sad they couldn't get just one more trendy feature in.    It amuses me that it will all be dated very quickly, and I'm sure the sellers think it's all wonderful.     

There is one flipper here that has every trend, everything gray, with white trim, the fabric cover dining lights, all the tile is charcoal gray, and pedestal sinks in all of the  baths.   At least one barn door in the master.      I can tell from the pictures who the flipper was too.        

The house (an older rerun) with the hot pink cabinets in the kitchen was so loud.   I had to laugh when the buyer said they had to paint the cabinets white or they wouldn't buy.   

What is it with peel-and-stick lately?     And black tile, sinks, and toilets is a bad idea with hard water.   

I like both Bristol and Aubrey. They seem genuinely nice and have a beautiful family. That said, Aubrey's taste is not for me. It might be more palatable if one could envision making it their own, but that is impossible to do because of the "glam hoard" of accessories she seems compelled to stage with (and the over-sized kitchen islands)! She needs to learn self-restraint in her decor. Nevertheless, she seems sweet, and really, her voice is not her fault.

I saw some of the mini marathon today and in one house she painted all the accents lime green.  I can't believe she doesn't go with neutrals. Another one she did had a pink master, pink bathroom and the living/dining was pink.  Even the faux buyers had something to say about that.

• Love 1