Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media: What's Up With Her?

Culture Check: How can we come up with catchy or snarky topic titles and still remember the human behind the title? 

Please review the Primetimer Guidelines.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

People can be overweight and very fit.

Up to a point. (And I'm not sure someone overweight can be VERY fit.)

Essentially, this is what Twit is claiming by calling herself "a fat athlete." But she is 200+ #s beyond any right to call herself "fit," IMO.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

People can be overweight and very fit. That, in fact, is why BMI and height/weight charts are not necessarily a good measurement tool. 

Person A.... 5'8" tall 180#, 35% body fat. Person B, 5'8" tall, 180#, 20% body fat. One is fit, one is fat.

In your examples, doesn't matter what BMI says, to me the first person is overweight but the second person is not. 

9 hours ago, Dot said:

Up to a point. (And I'm not sure someone overweight can be VERY fit.)

Essentially, this is what Twit is claiming by calling herself "a fat athlete." But she is 200+ #s beyond any right to call herself "fit," IMO.

It is incredibly difficult to be overweight due to muscle mass and still have a healthy body fat percentage. The people who are have dedicated their lives to being fit. They are outliers, and they know it. You will rarely hear them complain that "BMI isn't accurate". They just pull out the calipers or the DEXA scan.

Whitney is way past the point where she could be considered healthy, athletic, or fit. Her IG proves it.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, cherenkov said:

It is incredibly difficult to be overweight due to muscle mass and still have a healthy body fat percentage. The people who are have dedicated their lives to being fit. They are outliers, and they know it. You will rarely hear them complain that "BMI isn't accurate". They just pull out the calipers or the DEXA scan.

Whitney is way past the point where she could be considered healthy, athletic, or fit. Her IG proves it.

The bit I've put in bold, I think that's important as we can all see Whitney has a very high body fat percentage, which anyone with a brain knows will lead to all sorts of health problems. Whit was told she had pre-diabetes at one point, but that has not been mentioned since, so maybe it never developed into Type 2 diabetes, or it has and she hasn't be formally diagnosed yet. As far as we know, she does not have a formal diagnosis of T2 diabetes, and she has never mentioned being told she has high blood pressure, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, high cholesterol, early onset arthritis or any other health issues caused by her massive body fat percentage. Even her heart issue / cardiologist appointment wasn't mentioned again. I think, because of this, Whitney might actually think she is still healthy. 

As we know Whitney and her barnacles sometimes read this, I'd like to point out the issue isn't really 'weight' per se, it is her body fat percentage. She may be building muscle at the gym, and hauling her bulk around requires some muscle, so power lift all you like, it is the sheer amount of fat that is the issue. You can 't run away (or power lift away) from a poor diet. I, with my PCOS, lost just over two stone (28lbs ish) through diet alone, and am now a health weight, and the same height at Twit.  She doesn't really need to go to the gym, she just needs to eat less, but of course she has the impulse control of a half-starved toddler, so that won't happen any time soon. And if is it happening, as I said in my first post, prove it, Whitney. You have Instagram which is the holy grail of food photos. Show us exactly what you eat. 

• Love 7
On 6/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, cherenkov said:

I see she's just back to posting cat pictures and her last "workout" related posts are now three weeks old. Is that the training schedule of an athlete? I think not.

She maintains the training schedule of someone with their own reality show. They must have stopped filming, so she stopped going to the gym.

• Love 12

@Littlez, Twit has admitted to sleep apnea & even been filmed wearing her CPAP mask.

I am quite sure she has progressed from prediabetic to T2 -- and we will never hear about it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Littlez said:

As we know Whitney and her barnacles sometimes read this, I'd like to point out the issue isn't really 'weight' per se, it is her body fat percentage. She may be building muscle at the gym, and hauling her bulk around requires some muscle, so power lift all you like, it is the sheer amount of fat that is the issue. You can 't run away (or power lift away) from a poor diet. I, with my PCOS, lost just over two stone (28lbs ish) through diet alone, and am now a health weight, and the same height at Twit.  She doesn't really need to go to the gym, she just needs to eat less, but of course she has the impulse control of a half-starved toddler, so that won't happen any time soon. And if is it happening, as I said in my first post, prove it, Whitney. You have Instagram which is the holy grail of food photos. Show us exactly what you eat. 

First bold:  Congratulations!

Second bold: You are hilarious! OMG!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Dot said:

@Littlez, Twit has admitted to sleep apnea & even been filmed wearing her CPAP mask.

I am quite sure she has progressed from prediabetic to T2 -- and we will never hear about it.

I wasn't aware of the CPAP, I take that bit back. I don't get TLC in Blighty, so either have to watch it online on some free site or clips on YouTube, so I've missed something somewhere along the line. 

That is actually more horrifying though. She is now so overweight she literally stops breathing but still doesn't seem to take her health all that seriously. She still hasn't posted a photo of herself taking a bite of a banana, that's all it'll take to show she is actually eating fruit once in a while! Sure, she is going to the gym but, based on what she herself posts on Instagram, she isn't actually working all that hard. I've yet to see her dripping with sweat, red in the face, after a good cardio workout. She was impressed she managed to lift slightly more than her geriatric father. 

• Love 6
On 6/5/2018 at 7:33 PM, Calliope12 said:

I'm pretty sure that Whitney was chiding Todd for his 'thin privilege' when they had their fight in New York.  I took this from https://people.com/bodies/whitney-way-thore-criticism-because-im-fat/

“Do you know how much stuff I don’t get because I’m fat? Like basic respect? From anybody who sees me on the street that I don’t get because I’m fat?” Thore says in an interview. “Do you ever think about all the stuff you get that you take for granted that you inherently get because you walk around this world in a perfect f—— body that I don’t get? So let me have one thing, because I’m fat.”

I didn't see this episode when Whitney and Todd had that argument- can anyone tell me which episode it was?

Anyway, Whitney has a lot of nerve to complain about people not respecting her when she rarely shows respect to other people, including her friends and family members. I guess her values don't include "Do as you would be done by", aka "Treat others as you would like to be treated." And if Whitney's friends ever turned around and treated Whitney as badly as she treats them, I'm sure we'd never hear the end of it!

And secondly, Todd WORKED for his "perfect fucking body". He takes dance seriously and runs several miles every day (he said this in one of the Hawaii episodes). Whitney is acting as if it's so UNFAIR, as if Todd just woke up one day with a fit, athletic body while she was randomly assigned a 200kg blob-like physique through no fault of her own.

Some people in the world are born with disabilities, diseases, or deformities through no fault of their own. Others sustain life-changing injuries, and all these people don't have a choice, they have to make the best of the one body and life they have.

Other people are lucky enough to be born with intact, fully functional, healthy bodies. Whitney was born into the latter category PLUS she was born into a middle class white family with a lot of privilege, money and resources. The world could potentially be her oyster. But what does she do? Ruins her body, which has the potential to be amazing with a healthy diet, and then ACCUSES OTHER PEOPLE OF TAKING THINGS THEY GET FOR GRANTED!

Whitney, you are a horrible person, and YOU HAVE THE BODY YOU DESERVE.

• Love 14

@Littlez I agree, you are very funny! And I live in London and I watch MBFFL episodes online as well (the only drawback is that on those free websites, the quality is bad and Whitney's voice sounds even MORE annoying!). It's a guilty pleasure of mine- I have it on while I'm drawing (I work from home) and have it on as background noise. I tend to just listen when it's the boring bits (like Heather and Buddy's storyline) and look up now and again to watch Whitney make a fool of herself. Or if it's a more interesting episode, I'll watch it with my complete attention when I'm not working.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

• Love 3

@Zumba Tiger or @Littlez: Twit frequently brags about how MBFFL is syndicated on 5 continents. My Q to y'all: is MBFFL seen on a TV network or channel in good ol' Blighty, or is it just available as a freebie on websites? (Given her predilection for "truthful hyperbole," I think it's a fair question.)

12 hours ago, Dot said:

You’re always spot on @Dot!!! In Season 2 I believe, NitWhit was all about lowering her A1C and she just made it by .1 to not be considered Diabetic.  She was very vocal about it proving to people that she “beat” Diabetes and she’s fat and “healthy.”  Now all of the sudden it’s never ever brought up again??  Well, I totally believe she has full on T2 Diabetes as well.  If she didn’t have it, we all know that she would be In everyone’s face with the results proving she didn’t have it. I have a feeling that is the main reason that she was saying her feet were burning and tingling  at the 8k in Hawaii.  I think it was Neuropathy from Diabetes and she was covering it up by saying it was plantar fasciitis.  That is why I think when the medic wanted to look at her she got nasty and defensive and said “No. Why? What are you looking for?” Did anyone catch that too? It was so obvious she didn’t want the medic to say it didn’t look like she has plantar fasciitis. We always see her just going to Urgent Cares and never a Primary doctors office let alone a Podiatrist for that type of diagnosis.  It was something she found online and lied about, like she always does!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Kaia40 said:

In Season 2 I believe, NitWhit was all about lowering her A1C and she just made it by .1 to not be considered Diabetic.  She was very vocal about it proving to people that she “beat” Diabetes and she’s fat and “healthy.”  Now all of the sudden it’s never ever brought up again??  Well, I totally believe she has full on T2 Diabetes as well.  If she didn’t have it, we all know that she would be In everyone’s face with the results proving she didn’t have it. I have a feeling that is the main reason that she was saying her feet were burning and tingling  at the 8k in Hawaii.  I think it was Neuropathy from Diabetes and she was covering it up by saying it was plantar fasciitis.  That is why I think when the medic wanted to look at her she got nasty and defensive and said “No. Why? What are you looking for?” Did anyone catch that too? It was so obvious she didn’t want the medic to say it didn’t look like she has plantar fasciitis. We always see her just going to Urgent Cares and never a Primary doctors office let alone a Podiatrist for that type of diagnosis.  It was something she found online and lied about, like she always does!

Given her long history of insulin resistance and overweight and food misbehaviors and convenient denials, I never believed she didn't already have T2.  A 0.1 difference in A1c is relevant to record keeping but not necessarily her true condition.  But I figured the main issue really was insulin resistance and all the nasty places that could lead besides just diabetes (like heart attacks and cancer).  An interesting thought she may have diabetic neuropathy.  Whitney are you paying attention??  That would mean you are that much closer to having one or both feet amputated.  Still no incentive to lose the fucking weight?  You really think you can perch 500 pounds on top of one or two prosthetics and still be mobile?  You'd be in a wheelchair for life.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Given her long history of insulin resistance and overweight and food misbehaviors and convenient denials, I never believed she didn't already have T2.  A 0.1 difference in A1c is relevant to record keeping but not necessarily her true condition.  But I figured the main issue really was insulin resistance and all the nasty places that could lead besides just diabetes (like heart attacks and cancer).  An interesting thought she may have diabetic neuropathy.  Whitney are you paying attention??  That would mean you are that much closer to having one or both feet amputated.  Still no incentive to lose the fucking weight?  You really think you can perch 500 pounds on top of one or two prosthetics and still be mobile?  You'd be in a wheelchair for life.

How awful. Diabetes is brutal.  My grandmother was diabetic, also very heavy, like Twit she didn't care and ate what she wanted.  She eventually went blind from it. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Dot said:

@Zumba Tiger or @Littlez: Twit frequently brags about how MBFFL is syndicated on 5 continents. My Q to y'all: is MBFFL seen on a TV network or channel in good ol' Blighty, or is it just available as a freebie on websites? (Given her predilection for "truthful hyperbole," I think it's a fair question.)

Honestly, I don't have a TV, so everything I watch I watch on my laptop, meaning I don't have Sky or Freeview, That said, on the MBFFL Wikipedia page, it says it is broadcast in Australia, Turkey, Spain and Brazil, plus the States, of course, which ticks off North America, South America, Europe, Oceania and Asia, if my KS2 geography is to be trusted (it might not be) which is five continents. There is hope for us yet! Although the UK has just started airing a new series of Love Island, so that hope is fading fast. 

As for website freebies, it depends. There isn't really an 'official' was to watch it, as the TLC site throws a right wobbly when it realises you're not in the States as you have to log in to what I assume are Sky / Freeview equivalents,  though episodes do make their way on to YouTube, DailyMotion and WatchTV, just with a delay of around a month. TLC does, of course, post short clips on YouTube though full episodes take a little sleuthing to track down. 

• Love 1

How ironic . . . you are willing to struggle to find MBFFL in England . . . while some of us Americans are so addicted to British shows that our Netflix queues are chock full of them.  LOL.

Oh well - I'm just so jealous that you live in the UK that I can't stand it.  I LOVE all parts of the UK that I've been fortunate enough to visit.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

How ironic . . . you are willing to struggle to find MBFFL in England . . . while some of us Americans are so addicted to British shows that our Netflix queues are chock full of them.  LOL.

Oh well - I'm just so jealous that you live in the UK that I can't stand it.  I LOVE all parts of the UK that I've been fortunate enough to visit.

First bold - Plus Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland! England, Scotland and Wales are three separate countries that make up Great Britain, then you have The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  Then you have the Channel Islands and the British Overseas Territories. And the old Saxon kingdoms that match the point of the compass; Essex, Sussex, Wessex and ...Northumbria. We've also got a West Country and a Black Country inside another country as they aren't actually countries in and of themselves, plus Richard Booth, King of the Independent Kingdom of Hay, which is inside the United Kingdom though it's not actually a kingdom, or independent. And Booth isn't technically a King.  The geography makes perfect sense, honest!

Is it just me, or does United Kingdom sound like it should be a country in a dystopian futuristic young adult fiction book?

Second bold - You...you've clearly never been to Hull, have you?

Slightly back on topic, Twit seems to have totally given up even pretending to try and be healthy and is now just posting cat photos. I have no problems with cat photos, but I do have a problem with a woman at risk of dying of a series of preventable diseases before the age of 40 not seeming to care and pretending everything is fine. No body shame? F*** off. HAVE SOME SHAME MISS THORE. You're dying, you can't even breathe in your sleep anymore. Get a seatbelt round yourself. Walk a few miles. Get a f***ing grip woman. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Me too!!!!  I don't know why but I am an Anglophile.  Love all British everything.  I read ALOT of British mysteries and watch the shows .....due the accents, clothes,  scenery,  homes, gardens,   architecture, etc.... I  adored Alan Titschmarsh back in the day.  I am planning to visit next May. Was going to go this year but other things got in the way although seeing Harry and Meghan's wedding would have been icing on the cake.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

. . . some of us Americans are so addicted to British shows that our Netflix queues are chock full of them.

And Australian series, too -- love me some "Wentworth" & several others.

@Littlez, your geography lesson omitted the Isle of Man, where an American, David Howe, studying his geneology discovered he was the direct descendant of the last king of Man. (He recently renounced his claim to the Manx throne.)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Dot said:

I also missed the Isle of Wight, but hey, it's already complicated enough! And the Isle of Dogs, which, unlike the Isles of Man and Wight, isn't even an island. It's actually in the middle of London. We make sense, honest! We also have a condiment called ''salad cream'' but we still make perfect sense! 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Brooks said:

Given her long history of insulin resistance and overweight and food misbehaviors and convenient denials, I never believed she didn't already have T2.  A 0.1 difference in A1c is relevant to record keeping but not necessarily her true condition.  But I figured the main issue really was insulin resistance and all the nasty places that could lead besides just diabetes (like heart attacks and cancer). 

I've had diabetes since college. It was initially diagnosed as T2 because I'm overweight and I wasn't taking super good care of myself. Back in 2007, for medical reasons, we learned that I could no longer have any medicines that go through the liver and so became an insulin based diabetic, ending up with a pump and skin sensor. Currently, my A1c hovers between a 4 and a 5.8. This doesn't mean I'm cured. It means I have good control. Oddly enough, the doctor has run the antibody test a few times to see if I actually have T1 or T2 given the extremely low A1cs I've had over a series of visits and long history of extreme lows and my results are consistently exactly on the division line between the two. Other than just making me a curiosity, it doesn't change anything about how I should treat my body. I still work hard to lose weight and not eat the tasty crap I shouldn't. I think the second she starts having the awful ramifications, she's going to come up with other excuses. Like when she has to have a toe amputated, it will because it got "broken" and "infected" not because it died due to her bad behaviors.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I *loved* the BBC show "The Street." I *hate* that BBC America has become essentially another TLC. 

4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I *loved* the BBC show "The Street." I *hate* that BBC America has become essentially another TLC. 

Timothy Spall is OURS, you can't have him! We're also keeping David Thewlis and Ruth Jones. You can have Joey Essex though. Please take Joey Essex and don't let him come back. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MegD said:

the doctor has run the antibody test a few times to see if I actually have T1 or T2 given the extremely low A1cs I've had over a series of visits and long history of extreme lows and my results are consistently exactly on the division line between the two. I think the second she starts having the awful ramifications, she's going to come up with other excuses. Like when she has to have a toe amputated, it will because it got "broken" and "infected" not because it died due to her bad behaviors.

I hear about a less common version of diabetes referred to, a hybrid, Type 1.5.  Aspects of both T1 and T2.  Something like that?

Would Glenn and Babs and the barnacles really all be silent about it and continue to enable her if they understood that diabetes was the likely reason of something like an amputation?  Whitney may say it was just that infection!  Or maybe she'll go postal on the doctor who never told her this was a remote possibility.  Maybe Season 7 is all about that lawsuit.

• Love 3

The health thing is really weird with Twit.

She sprained her toe, or she said she had a sprained toe, and wore that space boot. I'm not sure of the technical name for that ankle / foot support thing, but she had the big bulky space boot for a mild muscular toe injury. If she really was ill in some way, you'd think she'd shout it from the rooftops and get all the pity she possibly can. There have been several instances of "fat shaming" which take up a good chunk of the episode as she tried to get as much sympathy from the viewer as she can. She wore a space boot when a toe sprain only needs buddy strapping, if that. She LOVES being a victim of pretty much anything. 

However, Twit also tries to claim she is very healthy, and has no health issues. She tries to make out the only bad thing about being fat is other people's reactions and downplays, or just plain ignores, the health ramifications. If she is, or rather WHEN she is, diagnosed with T2 diabetes, she'll have those two things collide. It is an illness she can try and play for sympathy and pity, but it is a negative part of being fat. She'll want the attention but won't want to admit she has a preventable illness caused by her weight. It will be fun to watch her brain explode as she tries to figure out what to to. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh Littlez, how you underestimate Our Whitney. I can tell you right now what she'll say:  "Thin people get diabetes too." Therefore, in her addled reasoning, anyone who attributes her diabetes to her weight is a fat-phobic fat shamer. Easy-peasy and all in less than five words!

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Littlez said:

The health thing is really weird with Twit.

So is the dating thing. For someone so obsessed with having sex, she sure doesn't seem to understand how to be successful in finding a hookup. If she got herself down to 200 #s or less, she'd probably attract a goodly number of men, at least for a while until they got to know her and/or she sucked the life out of them like Poodle Tal.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Oh Littlez, how you underestimate Our Whitney. I can tell you right now what she'll say:  "Thin people get diabetes too." Therefore, in her addled reasoning, anyone who attributes her diabetes to her weight is a fat-phobic fat shamer." Easy-peasy and all in less than five words!

This thin-ish person is a T1! 

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder, as the immune system attacks the pancreas, the organ that produces insulin. Type 2 is a metabolic disorder, caused predominantly by obesity and a poor diet. I would quite like to see Whit try and pass off a preventable metabolic disorder as being on a par with a totally unpreventable autoimmune disease. Mind you, she did compare being morbidly obese with losing a limb so who knows, she'll probably try it! 

The slight sadist in me would quite like Whit to have to lug a bunch of lancets around and keep an eye on her BM. Maybe the physical pain of drawing blood and the hassle of making sure you've got the all the kit with you all the time will be the kick up the backside she needs to start taking her health seriously. I doubt it, because it's Whitney, but I can hope! 

27 minutes ago, Dot said:

So is the dating thing. For someone so obsessed with having sex, she sure doesn't seem to understand how to be successful in finding a hookup. If she got herself down to 200 #s or less, she'd probably attract a goodly number of men, at least for a while until they got to know her and/or she sucked the life out of them like Poodle Tal.

She did say once "I know I wouldn't be single if I was thin." It was a clip on YouTube, posted by TLC so i don't know the episode / series but it did make me laugh. The weight is not the problem Whitney, the personality is the problem!! It's the inability to take responsibility for anything, the being hysterical over minor things, being over-dramatic about the most mundane event, the arrogance, the hypocrisy, the vile comments directed at those who post on her social media, the acting like a teenager in a lot of situations, like she's never really grown up, the plain old lying.......But sure Whit, blame the weight! 

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, Littlez said:

The weight is not the problem Whitney, the personality is the problem!!

Gotta disagree with you here, @Littlez. Twit's IMMEDIATE problem in getting a date IS her weight. At 400+ #s, all she can attract are fetishists, chubby chasers & feeders -- or a Lennie. She has made it clear she doesn't want that. If she wants a normal, average guy -- or the Brad Pitt Babs wants for her -- she's gonna have to drop a couple hundred pounds, which will still leave her morbidly obese & thereby "fat 'n' happy" as she like to claim. THEN her problem will be keeping him because of her rotten personality, as I pointed out in my previous post.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Gotta disagree with you here, @Littlez. Twit's IMMEDIATE problem in getting a date IS her weight. At 400+ #s, all she can attract are fetishists, chubby chasers & feeders -- or a Lennie. She has made it clear she doesn't want that. If she wants a normal, average guy -- or the Brad Pitt Babs wants for her -- she's gonna have to drop a couple hundred pounds, which will still leave her morbidly obese & thereby "fat 'n' happy" as she like to claim. THEN her problem will be keeping him because of her rotten personality, as I pointed out in my previous post.

Oh yeah, she will have trouble getting a date at her current weight, I totally agree with that. It was just her saying she would not be single if she was thin. She might find it easier to have that first date, but she would still be single once said first date was over. Possibly after the second date. A meaningful relationship isn't on the cards, no matter how many first dates she has. 

As per the NHS guidelines, a person is morbidly obese with a BMI of 40+, or 35+ if they have a weight-related health condition. As Whit is on the short side, she would have a BMI of 35+ if she got down to 90.7kg (200lbs), and she has sleep apnea, so if that amount of weight loss doesn't ease it, she'd have to lose over half her body weight, assuming she is at least 182kg (401lbs), which she must be by now and she would STILL be morbidly obese. Jesus. 

Say she is 204kg (450lbs.) That would put her BMI at 82.2. When Penny started on My 600lb Life her BMI was 85.7 according to google. Whit will be on the next series at this rate. Actually, no she won't, she'd never admit there was a problem, nor would she have the discipline to stick to the programme. 

I am the same height as her, if my cm to feet conversion is correct, and my highest weight was 72.5kg (160lbs,) which put my BMI at 29.2, obese being 30+. Being within one point of obesity opened my eyes, so I am pretty sure Whit is totally blind. She can't not know the risks, she just can't be in the dark about it. She is choosing not to see it, or not caring. She scares me. How can someone get to that point, and say people who are concerned for her health are fat-shaming? This is an early grave, Whit. You might want to familiarise yourself with it as it is where you are headed pretty damn soon. 

• Love 5

Today I asked my usual monthly Q at Twit's advice column on the MBFFL FB page.

This month it is: Has your therapist ever explained histrionic personality disorder to you?

• Love 15
9 hours ago, Brooks said:

I hear about a less common version of diabetes referred to, a hybrid, Type 1.5.  Aspects of both T1 and T2.  Something like that?

Yes. It's not super accepted (and Blue Cross for sure doesn't seem to have an understanding of it) so we rock along calling me a T2 with excellent control. It's still intensely hard to lose weight so I watch the carbs I eat and make sure they are as healthy as possible and exercise. Because of some very scary lows resulting in calls to the paramedics after my parents found me on the floor with blood sugars below 40 (under 70 is not good, below 40 is getting into danger territory) several times and documentation that I don't notice when my blood sugar is as low as 32 and can carry on a semi-coherent conversation, Blue Cross did finally grant me a continuous glucose monitor that checks my blood sugar constantly. I have been told I'm the only T2 they allow to have one. I suspect it's because that they on some level accept the hybrid but just lack the coding for it. Or they got tired of really expensive paramedic calls.

But like T1, I'm always thirsty, frequently tired, have frequent headaches and nausea, wounds that don't heal well, blurry vision with altered blood sugars, and I get irritable for no reason. I've also learned that my health directly affects my blood sugar. It's often the best early warning sign I have. It has gotten to the point that it is in my medical charts when I am admitted into the hospital that no matter what my blood sugar may be, I am not to be placed on anything but normal saline and no insulin or glucose is to be given to me unless specifically requested. It usually raises a few eyebrows but a couple of rounds of "Oh, your blood sugar is 300" and 15 minutes later with no intervention my blood sugar is 120 or "oh, god, your blood sugar is 45" and 10 minutes later it's 100, and they believe me. It's an interesting roller coaster to live on.

Somehow, I don't see Twit making the lifestyle changes. I chart everything I eat. Portions get weighed and measured. I test my blood sugar 6 times a day. I change my pump reservoir out every 3 days or sooner. I change my sensor out every 6 days. When I travel, I have to pack insulin on ice and ask for hand scanning of the insulin because for whatever reason, my body won't accept insulin after it's been x-rayed which means I add at least an hour to the time before I have to arrive at the airport to successfully clear the TSA. During the summer, I'm lucky to get 2 days out of my reservoirs because the insulin gets too hot and stops working. I struggle finding new locations to insert the tubing and sensor that aren't bruised or scarred to use (this was less of a problem when I was heavier!). Twit can't be bothered to take photos of her food. I don't see her putting in the time and effort that it takes to deal with something so serious. I think she'd bitch and moan and complain about how the doctor was picking on her for her size and not because she has a dangerous medical condition. I also don't think she could even do the inserting by herself as she can't reach a large portion of her body.

• Love 6

MegD, kudus to you for doing so well managing such a volatile condition.  Just wow.  Not that I have any idea what you're dealing with, but during a 7 day water fast I did a year ago, to induce and try to maintain ketosis and just see how I would react physiologically and emotionally and mentally, my blood sugar was down to 35 and I was feeling fine because ketones were taking care of my brain energy demands.  (I'm not diabetic or prediabetic, so no underlying issue I'm aware of.)  I expect you would still need some insulin no matter what, but have you tried ketosis to cut the severe blood sugar swings?  Just asking since you're our first admitted hybrid on this forum that I can recall.  Good luck on your health journey!

If Whitney has to go on insulin, she will have finally utterly lost the battle, because she won't stay away from high carbs and therefore will need a lot of insulin and therefore will pack on masses of more weight.  I figure a doctor would start her on metformin and try to hold the line there.  Whitney, are you listening?  There is nothing you have told us that would indicate you can't take control of your health.  If you ever want to, that is.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, MegD said:

Yes. It's not super accepted (and Blue Cross for sure doesn't seem to have an understanding of it) so we rock along calling me a T2 with excellent control. It's still intensely hard to lose weight so I watch the carbs I eat and make sure they are as healthy as possible and exercise. Because of some very scary lows resulting in calls to the paramedics after my parents found me on the floor with blood sugars below 40 (under 70 is not good, below 40 is getting into danger territory) several times and documentation that I don't notice when my blood sugar is as low as 32 and can carry on a semi-coherent conversation, Blue Cross did finally grant me a continuous glucose monitor that checks my blood sugar constantly. I have been told I'm the only T2 they allow to have one. I suspect it's because that they on some level accept the hybrid but just lack the coding for it. Or they got tired of really expensive paramedic calls.

But like T1, I'm always thirsty, frequently tired, have frequent headaches and nausea, wounds that don't heal well, blurry vision with altered blood sugars, and I get irritable for no reason. I've also learned that my health directly affects my blood sugar. It's often the best early warning sign I have. It has gotten to the point that it is in my medical charts when I am admitted into the hospital that no matter what my blood sugar may be, I am not to be placed on anything but normal saline and no insulin or glucose is to be given to me unless specifically requested. It usually raises a few eyebrows but a couple of rounds of "Oh, your blood sugar is 300" and 15 minutes later with no intervention my blood sugar is 120 or "oh, god, your blood sugar is 45" and 10 minutes later it's 100, and they believe me. It's an interesting roller coaster to live on.

Somehow, I don't see Twit making the lifestyle changes. I chart everything I eat. Portions get weighed and measured. I test my blood sugar 6 times a day. I change my pump reservoir out every 3 days or sooner. I change my sensor out every 6 days. When I travel, I have to pack insulin on ice and ask for hand scanning of the insulin because for whatever reason, my body won't accept insulin after it's been x-rayed which means I add at least an hour to the time before I have to arrive at the airport to successfully clear the TSA. During the summer, I'm lucky to get 2 days out of my reservoirs because the insulin gets too hot and stops working. I struggle finding new locations to insert the tubing and sensor that aren't bruised or scarred to use (this was less of a problem when I was heavier!). Twit can't be bothered to take photos of her food. I don't see her putting in the time and effort that it takes to deal with something so serious. I think she'd bitch and moan and complain about how the doctor was picking on her for her size and not because she has a dangerous medical condition. I also don't think she could even do the inserting by herself as she can't reach a large portion of her body.

Diabetes sucks. My sister-in-law has it, brought on by her pregnancy, IIRC. She, like yourself, works her ass off to keep it in check. Checks her sugar 4x a day, carefully watches her diet and sees her diabetic specialist on a regular basis. And holy shit, the cost of test strips, insulin, meds., etc., is ridiculous! My biggest pet peeve with Whitney is that there are so many chronically ill people who would jump at the chance to overcome it with weight loss and exercise.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Brooks said:

Not that I have any idea what you're dealing with, but during a 7 day water fast I did a year ago, to induce and try to maintain ketosis and just see how I would react physiologically and emotionally and mentally, my blood sugar was down to 35 and I was feeling fine because ketones were taking care of my brain energy demands.  (I'm not diabetic or prediabetic, so no underlying issue I'm aware of.)  I expect you would still need some insulin no matter what, but have you tried ketosis to cut the severe blood sugar swings?  Just asking since you're our first admitted hybrid on this forum that I can recall.  Good luck on your health journey!

Actually, trying to induce ketosis on a super low carb diet (without cutting my insulin dose, bad idea) was what caused the blood sugar super lows. As far as we can tell, they are only a reaction to the stress hormones my body puts out when I get stressed (because I hate, hate, hate admitting I'm sick, especially if I've ended up having to see a doctor about it) so I use them as a bell weather and roll with it. If they don't match what I've been eating, I ignore the weird values, treat for what I've eaten, and prepare for whatever type of illness I've got coming. It's a convenient warning sign really. "Hey idiot, you'll have the yearly ear ache/throat bug in three days. Prep now!" The times I've been hospitalized have been stressful on their own, but add an intractable throw up bug that necessitates a 36 hour system reset (seriously, I end up NPO for 36 hours and live on the saline drip and then I'm fine) and it's no wonder my system goes nuts. I have a really rare genetic disorder that was the cause of the switch from pills to insulin when I was diagnosed, so it's no wonder that I have weird reactions to go with it.

5 hours ago, Brooks said:

I figure a doctor would start her on metformin and try to hold the line there.  Whitney, are you listening?  There is nothing you have told us that would indicate you can't take control of your health.  If you ever want to, that is.

I don't even think they could hold the line with metformin. If I had to guess, they'd try one of the weekly shots. Personally, I didn't like the side effects on the one I tried (headaches, blood pressure issues, bloody noses) which may have not been caused by the shots themselves but by the combination with the insulin pump. I don't think she'd be willing to do the finger sticks.

3 hours ago, mybuddyspence said:

And holy shit, the cost of test strips, insulin, meds., etc., is ridiculous! My biggest pet peeve with Whitney is that there are so many chronically ill people who would jump at the chance to overcome it with weight loss and exercise.  

Tell me about it. My pump is the one approved by Blue Cross. It only works with one particular glucose meter (because they have to talk to one another for the system to work) but that's not the preferred glucose meter. So I have to pay Tier 3 prices for my strips. My insulin is a constant fight between Walgreens and Blue Cross. I'm supposed to get a 30 day supply for one price, which due to checking on my pump, Blue Cross knows is 40 mL (4 bottles). This is usually not a problem The way the prescription is written, because you cannot write in fractions of a unit, 4 bottles is 32 days. So now Walgreens either gives me 3 bottles (24 days) charging me (and BCBS) for 30 days, or gives me 4, charging me for 32 days (which is twice the 30 day copay). At the same time, they are charging $1100 to BCBS for those 3 bottles of insulin. The last trip resulted in a Twit-esque tantrum after the smarmy pharmacist refused to give me a 60 day supply for the double copay, hand over the 4th bottle which BC has never questioned before, or rerun their pharmacy bill for 24 days instead of 30 so I could refill it when appropriate and they weren't giving false info to BCBS.  Ended up chatting with the district manager and BCBS over it. But I also have 4 visits a year with my endocrinologist, lab testing, trips to my regular doctor, and lab testing there. It's expensive.

I'm lucky that I have good insurance and can afford excellent care and good healthy food. I work with a lot of low income individuals and healthy, low carb foods is frequently expensive when compared to some of the cheaper, high carb foods out there. Often, they have to make choices to get what they can because of costs. This makes it that much harder for them to keep their diabetes in check. Twit is also as lucky. She needs to count her lucky stars that she has the financial and emotional support to make the life changes that could save her life.

• Love 3

This is one of the things that make me happy to live in the UK. I honestly have no idea how much all my medication costs, or the doctor / hospital trips as we have the National Health Service. It's not free of course, National Insurance (a type of tax) pays for it, so it is part of the taxes everyone pays, but, as keeps being pointed out, it is "free at the point of service." So I get my medications and check ups and hospital admissions without paying a single penny for anything. All hail the NHS, and a very happy 70th birthday to it! 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Brooks said:

MegD, kudus to you for doing so well managing such a volatile condition.  Just wow.  Not that I have any idea what you're dealing with, but during a 7 day water fast I did a year ago, to induce and try to maintain ketosis and just see how I would react physiologically and emotionally and mentally, my blood sugar was down to 35 and I was feeling fine because ketones were taking care of my brain energy demands.  (I'm not diabetic or prediabetic, so no underlying issue I'm aware of.)  I expect you would still need some insulin no matter what, but have you tried ketosis to cut the severe blood sugar swings?  Just asking since you're our first admitted hybrid on this forum that I can recall.  Good luck on your health journey!

If Whitney has to go on insulin, she will have finally utterly lost the battle, because she won't stay away from high carbs and therefore will need a lot of insulin and therefore will pack on masses of more weight.  I figure a doctor would start her on metformin and try to hold the line there.  Whitney, are you listening?  There is nothing you have told us that would indicate you can't take control of your health.  If you ever want to, that is.

My BIL is very much like Sweatney. Don't know for sure how much he weighs, but I'd estimate it at "at least 450." Been diabetic for years. Had gastric bypass decades ago. Has had a heart attack, quad bypass, and lost a foot. You'd think ONE of those things would have been a wake-up call. You'd be wrong. He eats mountains of high carb foods and sits on his arse all day. 

Sigh. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Littlez said:

This is one of the things that make me happy to live in the UK. I honestly have no idea how much all my medication costs, or the doctor / hospital trips as we have the National Health Service. It's not free of course, National Insurance (a type of tax) pays for it, so it is part of the taxes everyone pays, but, as keeps being pointed out, it is "free at the point of service." So I get my medications and check ups and hospital admissions without paying a single penny for anything. All hail the NHS, and a very happy 70th birthday to it! 

There are pros and cons to both systems. I know a lot of the testing that I have access to for my genetic issue both in diagnosis and in the monitoring of it (it's normally something you don't make it to elementary school with, much less get an initial diagnosis at 27, so they're utterly lost when it comes to me, so lots of tests for monitoring), I wouldn't have access to in the NHS without significant wait times. Instead, I don't have to wait for testing and when I report questionable symptoms, have complicated questions, or just need reassurance that I'm not dying today, I can get in to see my doctor on the same day. For example, I was questioning having children given that, as part of the sequella of the genetic disorder, I will need a liver and lung transplant. Since my liver specialist didn't know an answer outside of 1. anti-rejection meds and fetal development are generally not compatible, and 2. pregnancy could induce the liver failure we're battling, he sent me on to the the transplant team even though I am still technically too healthy to be listed to establish a baseline and get these questions answered and I saw the doctor within a month. The short answer was that children of my own are a terrible idea but I continue to be monitored by the doctor and his team, including extensive liver testing every 6 months, with visits to my local liver specialist on the alternate 6 months. So every 3 months, I get what I dub my "glow in the dark" testing (ultrasound occasionally with the gross contrast, CT with contrast, blood work, and occasional MRIs with and without contrast) plus a doctor's visit. The rationale is that catching the downward slide early, while I'm still relatively healthy and can take a family living donor transplant is preferable to a listed non-family transplant. Recently, I've had a problem with bleeding and bruising so I'm headed to a hematologist. But I'm lucky that I can afford good insurance to make this affordable. Without it, I would probably be making major choices about my care and wouldn't have the access that I have.

In contrast, my uncle, who actually worked for the NHS until he retired, waited a number of years for a knee replacement. My cousin, his son, who is technically a dual citizen but who has only ever lived in England (within the United Kingdom), found it more economical in terms of time versus pain versus cost  to fly to the US and have my dad perform a root canal for him rather than wait the 9 months the NHS determined he would have to wait to see a dentist to pull the tooth. From talking to others with my condition who live around the globe, I know that under the NHS, the treatment protocols are much more spread out, allowing for sicker patients and, unsurprisingly, poorer outcomes than what I've had for older individuals, but, oddly enough, no difference in treatment outcomes for the very young.

Given the two, Twit's got access to expensive services and healthcare without having to worry too much about the costs. Really, she lives in the best of both worlds where she doesn't have to fret about expenses but at the same time she doesn't have to wait to see anyone. Given that her show at least in theory is about her not falling over and dying on screen, she might want to get control over her health, since she doesn't want to get control of her weight.

• Love 5
(edited)

@MegD I agree, the NHS isn't perfect especially when it comes to the waiting lists, but that's because it's underfunded and the government are making the problem worse with their constant cuts to the services. Like @Littlez I am very grateful to live in a country where we have free/affordable healthcare (I don't wish to start a political argument, just sharing my opinion).

Waiting lists are a real problem here when it comes to access to mental health services, with doctors often prescribing anti-depressants as a substitute for therapy. If a person is severely depressed or having suicidal thoughts they can get referred faster. However in my case, as I was not depressed or suicidal and able to function well in most situations, I knew that if I went to my GP to be referred for therapy then I would have a long time to wait, plus I knew there were people much worse off than me who needed help more urgently, so I went to a private hypnotherapist. (Hypnotherapy generally isn't available on the NHS, I guess because it doesn't work for everyone as not everyone is susceptible to hypnosis). Fortunately I was able to afford it, but I feel bad for people who can't afford that option and I wish these treatments were more easily accessible to everyone.

I go to an NHS dentist for a check up and clean every 3 months. It's cheap and because I go regularly, any problems with my teeth can be spotted early on and nipped in the bud. My teeth look so clean and white and neat, some people don't believe they're real- they think I had veneers done, and they are shocked when I tell them I go to an ordinary NHS dentist!

Plus my life was literally saved by an NHS surgeon when I was stabbed by my abusive ex 18 years ago. My injuries were so bad they flew in a specialist from another hospital to save me. If I lived in the US, I bet that operation, and the cost of flying in that surgeon, would have been so expensive it would have taken me years and years to pay the medical bills!

NHS emergency surgeons, doctors and nurses are heroes in my opinion. They work under terrible stress and don't get paid enough. Sadly, and ironically, many NHS staff smoke and are overweight because they lead such stressful, exhausting lives and have little time to take care of themselves properly while saving other people's lives.

So basically I think the idea of the NHS is wonderful but it's under a great strain because of the lack of funding and that's really sad.

Anyway, I agree with your final paragraph, that Whitney has the opportunity to have instant access to the best available care and, as I said in a previous post, could seek help from the best healthcare professionals in America if she wanted to change. And that pisses me off because there are so many people in the world who would jump at the chance to have the opportunities Whitney has, but can't afford it.  

Edited by ZumbaTiger
Correction
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, MegD said:

Given that her show at least in theory is about her not falling over and dying on screen, she might want to get control over her health, since she doesn't want to get control of her weight.

No reason to believe she isn't still smoking like a chimney, right?  Does she keep smoking because to quit would be smoking shaming?  Smoking, given everything else, is the biggest sign to me she has zero concern about how her health affects anyone who cares for her.

Yeah, TLC would be pissed if they had filmed a season's worth and then had to scrap it because the toddler had committee Suicide by [insert health issue here).

• Love 4

I thought smoking reduced people's appetite? Never smoked myself so I don't know for sure, but I thought it did. Either she isn't smoking / isn't smoking that much, or she is eating a lot of food when she isn't actually that hungry. Personally, my vote is for the second one. To be the size she is Whitney had to be eating much bigger meals than she needs, and snaking more that she should. I wonder if Whitney has ever been truly hungry? I doubt it. 

• Love 4

I don’t think there is any question that she has to be eating when she isn’t hungry in addition eating high calorie and high fat foods. She doesn’t seem to have a lot to do so she probably spends a lot of time eating for something to do. 

Its hard for me to imagine how much she eats in a day. I know for me, stress eating was a big contributor to my weight gain. I look at the amount of food I was eating then and it was way too much. And I was not anywhere near the kind of overweight that Whitney is. She must just eat constantly. I remember a TV show I saw once. I don’t remember what show it was but they set out a table with everything the overweight person they were discussing has eaten that day. Not only was the volume over the top, but everything was tan/brown. No veggies or colorful food. It really helped that person understand what was wrong with her eating habits. I’d love to see something like that with a day of Whitney’s food. I doubt it would affect her but it would certainly be interesting to us. 

• Love 5

I was prescribed the antidepressant mirtazapine, which has a side effect of increasing the appetite. I was grazing on snacks pretty much all the time, and ate much bigger meals, which caused to to gain just under 30lbs in a year. I was eating the same foods I had always eaten, just a lot more of them and there was plenty of fruits and vegetables, just far, far too much food overall. Quite how Whitney managed to put on 100lbs in a year, I have no idea. I only ate as much as I did because I was so hungry all the time due to the pills! I cannot see how putting on that much weight in such a short amount of time is even possible, the amounts she must eat is insane. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Littlez said:

I was prescribed the antidepressant mirtazapine, which has a side effect of increasing the appetite. I was grazing on snacks pretty much all the time, and ate much bigger meals, which caused to to gain just under 30lbs in a year. I was eating the same foods I had always eaten, just a lot more of them and there was plenty of fruits and vegetables, just far, far too much food overall. Quite how Whitney managed to put on 100lbs in a year, I have no idea. I only ate as much as I did because I was so hungry all the time due to the pills! I cannot see how putting on that much weight in such a short amount of time is even possible, the amounts she must eat is insane. 

Well, the one time I saw her eat pasta on the show, her 9" dinner plate was piled about 3" high. Considering that a serving of cooked spaghetti the size of your fist is 220 calories, I'd say that plate contained 1500 calories NOT INCLUDING THE SAUCE. Her Starbucks drink weighs in around 450 cal, and pizza at 300 per slice. So she's probably eating 3,000 calories a day.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Littlez said:

I thought smoking reduced people's appetite? Never smoked myself so I don't know for sure, but I thought it did. Either she isn't smoking / isn't smoking that much, or she is eating a lot of food when she isn't actually that hungry. Personally, my vote is for the second one. To be the size she is Whitney had to be eating much bigger meals than she needs, and snaking more that she should. I wonder if Whitney has ever been truly hungry? I doubt it. 

People who quit smoking often gain weight afterwards, but I think it's theorized that it has to do more with the habit of having something in your mouth. Nicotine does have a small effect on appetite though. 

5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I remember a TV show I saw once. I don’t remember what show it was but they set out a table with everything the overweight person they were discussing has eaten that day. Not only was the volume over the top, but everything was tan/brown. No veggies or colorful food. It really helped that person understand what was wrong with her eating habits. I’d love to see something like that with a day of Whitney’s food. I doubt it would affect her but it would certainly be interesting to us. 

Secret Eaters? I remember them laying out the whole table of food and people being surprised how bad it looked all together. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, alabetser said:

People who quit smoking often gain weight afterwards, but I think it's theorized that it has to do more with the habit of having something in your mouth. Nicotine does have a small effect on appetite though. 

I think it goes beyond having something in one's mouth and appetite to include satisfaction.  Smoking can function as a food substitute.  It can give the same satisfaction without the calories.  I quit smoking decades ago but I remember this well.   After I quit I probably ate just a little more, not enough to seem significant, but I gained weight over time from it.  It doesn't take eating much more to gain weight over time and before you know it, you're up 30 lbs. and more unless you do something to stop the trend.  Unfortunately losing weight takes cutting back much more in calories than the calories one would have to eat to increase their weight.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don’t think there is any question that she has to be eating when she isn’t hungry in addition eating high calorie and high fat foods. She doesn’t seem to have a lot to do so she probably spends a lot of time eating for something to do. 

Its hard for me to imagine how much she eats in a day. I know for me, stress eating was a big contributor to my weight gain. I look at the amount of food I was eating then and it was way too much. And I was not anywhere near the kind of overweight that Whitney is. She must just eat constantly. I remember a TV show I saw once. I don’t remember what show it was but they set out a table with everything the overweight person they were discussing has eaten that day. Not only was the volume over the top, but everything was tan/brown. No veggies or colorful food. It really helped that person understand what was wrong with her eating habits. I’d love to see something like that with a day of Whitney’s food. I doubt it would affect her but it would certainly be interesting to us. 

British nutritionist? Might have been "You Are What You Eat."

• Love 1

I've never smoked but many people I know who do tell me it does reduce appetite. It also kills your sense of taste. I think that, for some smokers, part of the appeal of fast food is that they can actually taste it.