Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Babies And Fools

• Start Topic

When similar car accidents uncover the fact that someone may be targeting innocent people, a determined Dawson takes matters into her own hands to help push things along. Severide does everything he can to make Anna feel welcome in her new Chicago surroundings. Herrmann, Kidd and Dawson decide to have Molly's included as a stop in this year's pub crawl, despite strong concerns from Otis, who may have his own reasons for standing alone. Meanwhile, Casey tends to his Alderman's duties when a persistent constituent asks for his help in resolving an issue.

I really wished the rock would have hit Gabby. 

The cop should have told her to take a hike. Of course she has to do his police work for him. It's like they make her this insufferable on purpose.

• Love 12

Yes, I would have smacked Gabby if I were the detective and pushed her in the way of the boulder. Her photo is in the dictionary next to insufferable, Artsda. Plus wipe some of that makeup off, FGS.

I called the motorcycle guy immediately. 

Sort of a nothing story for alderman Casey and his complaining constituent. 

Hoped the pub crawl guy was a scammer but no. 

Anna, you're a big girl, make some friends on your own.

• Love 7

I cannot stand the Dawson character. So now she's a detective? Give me a break! When she demanded the cop take her to the suspects house, I thought he slap her down, since that would be a violation. But no, she goes along. 

Is this supposed to be the Gabby Dawson show or Chicago Fire. Boden only had 1 scene. 

Whoever is writing this show, please stop with the Gabby worship.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Sort of a nothing story for alderman Casey and his complaining constituent. 

But kind of cute. Nice to see him being an alderman without it being Draaaahmah!

I like Severide with this girl; this is the steady Kelly that I can actually see being a Lieutenant. (Just like Casey's generally level-headed and cool when not dealing with Gabby.)

• Love 8

Special Agent Gaaahbby Dawson is on the case.  Ugh.  A few weeks ago the show just about slandered CFD with their portrayals of the firefighters at other stations.  This week I guess it was CPD's turn, because they sure tried to make it look like the detective was a slug.  I guess that's the go to plot to shine Gaaaahbby's star a little bit brighter.  I wish Boden would have been on the receiving end of a very detailed phone call from CPD about her conduct.  And yeah, I was rooting for the rock there at the end, too.  Fortunately the repair shop will have the windshield done by next episode.

With the exception of the last incident, no one had any real proof that the moto guy was the guilty party.  CPD could question him all they want, but all they have is coincidence. 

That's one slow motorcycle if it can't outrun a fire engine.

Alderman Casey:  Sorry, but construction is construction.  It's loud, messy, and irritating.  Just by luck this one time the company didn't have a permit, but, absent that, how do you expect buildings to get built?  Just because the foreman gave you some attitude doesn't mean your constituent is right.

I liked the little exchange between Otis and Hermann.  Showed that partnerships are more than the cash register.  5 years they've been at Molly's?

• Love 1

How did they initially think the baby rolled into the storm drain when they had to use something to pull the cover off?  Good thing Gabby was there to solve the case, Lord knows the detective couldn't have done his job without her. Ugh. Why writers? Why?

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

That's one slow motorcycle if it can't outrun a fire engine.

I thought the same thing, but I think the firetruck had a head-start and the motorcycle was weaving through traffic on the on ramp.  But yeah... this whole episode bugged me.

What.  Was with.  Gabby???  I mean... just... no.  She didn't used to bug me, even in the last few seasons when she started to bother everyone else, but why is she involved in every single story?  Plus, first she's a paramedic, then she wants to be a doctor, then she's a firefighter, now she's back to a paramedic - but she wants to be a detective?  Ugh.  Writers, please just stop already.

What happened to the first few seasons when Herrmann, Otis, and Cruz had family members and personal stories of their own?  And god forbid Capp ever have a line of dialogue; I won't even wish for a story for him, I'd just like to hear him speak.

Severide and Zach were the bright spots of this episode for me.  The rest was blah.

• Love 7

I had to laugh to stop myself from rolling my eyes so hard I gave myself a stroke when Gabby was carrying on about the guy picking the baby up and putting it in the drain because how did he know it didn't have a spinal injury.....ahh Gabby sweetheart probably the same way you just reached into said drain and reefed it out and with your super special eyes declared that it was fine, didn't see you doing any kind of assessement....Really? This is getting way beyond a joke now.

• Love 10

"

49 minutes ago, Guildford said:

I had to laugh to stop myself from rolling my eyes so hard I gave myself a stroke when Gabby was carrying on about the guy picking the baby up and putting it in the drain because how did he know it didn't have a spinal injury.....ahh Gabby sweetheart probably the same way you just reached into said drain and reefed it out and with your super special eyes declared that it was fine, didn't see you doing any kind of assessement....Really? This is getting way beyond a joke now.

This is what I was thinking.  Gabby, you did the same damn thing!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, lonestar said:

I cannot stand the Dawson character. So now she's a detective? Give me a break! When she demanded the cop take her to the suspects house, I thought he slap her down, since that would be a violation. But no, she goes along. 

Is this supposed to be the Gabby Dawson show or Chicago Fire. Boden only had 1 scene. 

Whoever is writing this show, please stop with the Gabby worship.

That is the reason why I quit watching.  If they had killed her off instead of Shay, this would be a much better show.

• Love 5

First of all, if I was that officer, I would have punched Dawson. She went from "ninja paramedic" to an amazing firefighter even as a candidate and now apparently she is better as a police officer than a lieutenant! Such an amazing character, I think they should fire everyone else and let Dawson handle every emergency service in Chicago on her own.

And I loooved how nobody realized that the baby couldn't possibly end up trapped in there on its own. Baby left the vehicle without damaging it in any way to suggest that even a tiny body was ejected from the vehicle. Found in a perfect position, no scratches whatsoever in a place where it was impossible to enter. But it was just a miracle, nothing weird! Experienced firefigthers didn't question it, thank god they have wonder woman by their side! And btw I love that Zach didn't notice that somebody opened the car and took his sister but ok.

And of course Scott was stupid enough to retaliate against Dawson by calling for both the paramedics and firefighters. Because of course he could escape that.

Also, Stella was brought into Molly's as an employee, not as an investor. Unless they changed that at some point, how the hell can she push Ottis around? I'm sorry but Ottis is an original investor and everytime they include a scene about Molly's, Ottis' ideas are always disregarded. It bothers me so much. At least Stella gets her own scenes, Ottis is always a background character. And they kinda made fun of his idea in the end. I mean disco night may be weird for a place like Molly's, but by advertising you will get people who want to go to a disco night. You can't just force it on regular customers to test it out. How about they give Ottis a real success story?

And make Severide a dad asap.

• Love 5

Is this supposed to be the Gabby Dawson show or Chicago Fire.

That's a very good question. IMO the show has seriously over-estimated the audience's interest in Gabriel Dawson. It's always about her and her drama - always. I've gotten used to the fact that characters like Capp and Tony are just there to fill out the background, but neither Mouch nor Cruz has had a story in ages, and Herrmann and Otis are always relegated to tiresome c-plots played for laughs. 

Also, Casey seems to be a pretty laid-back guy, so you have to wonder how on earth he puts up with someone who is so high-maintenance, emotionally. She's just so unbelievably needy and whiny and never happy with anything. I'd get tired of living with that no matter how awesome she is in bed. 

It's gotten to the point where I dread seeing any child on this show because I'm always leery that Dawson will want to adopt it. I thought the mother in the car accident would probably die and then Dawson would make Casey take in Zach and the baby. That's just my go-to assumption whenever there's a kid around and Dawson's involved.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 9

I thought this was okay but I thought it was interesting that it was the motorcycle guy. I thought it was him after he was seen at the hospital the second time. 

I gotta ask, do they really put porta potties next to homes like that? 

Dawson was annoying too and I really wished she did get slapped. 

I liked Anna and Kelly but she needs to learn to make new friends again but I think she will end up either disappearing or going back to Springfield, maybe Homer is calling her again? 

I wonder if Otis didn't want to do something because his ideas were always shot down and I didn't realize his ideas were always shot down. I think putting the disco thing wasn't a smart move because some customers don't like discos. 

EDIT: What is up with next week? 

Edited by Waterston Fan
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's gotten to the point where I dread seeing any child on this show because I'm always leery that Dawson will want to adopt it. I thought the mother in the car accident would probably die and then Dawson would make Casey take in Zach and the baby. That's just my go-to assumption whenever there's a kid around and Dawson's involved.

I thought this exact same thing as well!  I was relieved to see the husband/father in the hospital room holding the baby.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

I liked Anna and Kelly but she needs to learn to make new friends again but I think she will end up either disappearing or going back to Springfield, maybe Homer is calling her again? 

I liked that they brought her to Molly's but then the clown car that is Molly's Management put on a show in the bar and made her flee. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

IMO the show has seriously over-estimated the audience's interest in Gabriel Dawson.

I half wonder if some suit didn't walk into the writers' room after last week's episode and said something like "I noticed that Dawson had four scenes and three lines of dialogue.  Let's bump it up this week.  Keep the average up, got it?"

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I gotta ask, do they really put porta potties next to homes like that? 

I wonder if Otis didn't want to do something because his ideas were always shot down and I didn't realize his ideas were always shot down. I think putting the disco thing wasn't a smart move because some customers don't like discos. 

YES!!! They repaved my street and the port a potty was RIGHT.IN.FRONT.OF.MY.HOUSE!  Then all the construction workers would eat their lunch on my front grass!  I can't believe Casey paid the foreman $100 to move it! Why didn't he call the port a potty company? They would have moved it for free.

The disco thing at the end was dumb!  Disco night is a good idea, but usually you announce to the public when you're having theme nights.

I suspected motorcycle guy right away!  I don't know how Gabby didn't?! She is superwoman!  She can do anything!!  She was beyond insufferable!! I won't go on about how much I hate her and her story line since I agree with everything that has already been posted about her.  I didn't understand how motorcycle guy got the grate off to place the baby in there; it took a crowbar and 3 firefighters to remove it.  I didn't understand the baby not being in the car. The little boy never mentioned anyone taking her out of her car seat.  Back at the station Severide mentioned that sometimes, the straps on the car seats are loose so the baby probably fell out.  Even if she wasn't strapped in at all, how would she fall out of the car? Wouldn't she just have been thrown about in the car and landed somewhere INSIDE the car? 

Severide's girlfriend is an ER nurse? a PEDS nurse? I'm not in the medical field, but when Gabby was walking to the ICU to check on the car accident mom, I thought 1. They just don't let anyone in the ICU  2. That is an awfully long hallway for an ICU and all the room doors are shut.  All the ones I have been in looked more how the ER is designed.  And a bit OT, but does Dr. Charles EVER have patients?  He's always walking around just waiting to overhear a conversation so he can butt in and give his professional advice.   Back to Severide's girlfriend (I don't know her name) She wants to go out and see the city, have fun, dance, etc so Severide takes her to Molly's?  Seriously?! 

• Love 3

Everyone goes to Molly's.  It's equidistant from Station 51, Chicago Med, the PD station, and the halls of Chicago Justice.  Last week on Justice, after the prosecutor managed to snake out a conviction on some guy's second trial (5th Amendment be damned), he took the assistant out to, you guessed it, Molly's.  Herman was there to serve them. 

I agree with all the above Gabby criticisms, but the one that made me crazy was when she snotted about whether any of the other accidents MAJOR ACCIDENTS was investigating were as important as this one.  Because MAJOR ACCIDENTS investigates fender benders!!  Mostly likely, at least one if not all three of those cases involved a fatality--you know, where someone was killed.  But they didn't involve Gabby so not important!!

Ugh!!!

• Love 11

About Molly's yea, they are using it too much. I think maybe Anna just wasn't into Molly's or maybe she doesn't drink? About the CJ episode, didn't Hermman say something about health or city inspectors? lol 

Yeah, not sure what Anna is but for sure, in real life, they would not allow Severide or Dawson to go near the rooms. 

I don't expect Anna to be there for long, for some reason. 

8 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

About Molly's yea, they are using it too much. I think maybe Anna just wasn't into Molly's or maybe she doesn't drink?

You think that perhaps someone who had just survived a bone marrow transplant and was days away from death might give alcohol a miss for a bit? I know I would....

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I agree with all the above Gabby criticisms, but the one that made me crazy was when she snotted about whether any of the other accidents MAJOR ACCIDENTS was investigating were as important as this one.  Because MAJOR ACCIDENTS investigates fender benders!!  Mostly likely, at least one if not all three of those cases involved a fatality--you know, where someone was killed.  But they didn't involve Gabby so not important!!

Ugh!!!

I was at least expecting the lieutentant to say something at least once. He didn't seem all that bothered by her behavior and he was a bit inconsistent. It wasn't clear whether he was indeed overworked but genuinely cared or just didn't give a crap about his job like apparently every other officer in Chicago except for our firefighters. In any case, I am fine with Gabby being herself. BUT at least in the earlier seasons once in a while she had some consequences. Now she just goes bossing people of higher rank around, fighting with as many people as possible with not a single complaint made. Let her be Gabby, but make her pay for her behavior once in a while.

12 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

About Molly's yea, they are using it too much. I think maybe Anna just wasn't into Molly's or maybe she doesn't drink? About the CJ episode, didn't Hermman say something about health or city inspectors? lol 

Yeah, not sure what Anna is but for sure, in real life, they would not allow Severide or Dawson to go near the rooms. 

I don't expect Anna to be there for long, for some reason. 

I hope she stays. Not that I am a big fan right now, I'm a bit indifferent. But I'm tired of Severide supposedly being a huge player while making him a good boyfriend at random times for a few episodes AND a loving father figure pretty much everytime there is a kid involved in the case. I want him to have a stable girlfriend OR just go back to being with a different woman all the time and quit giving him love interests.

Btw I checked twitter yesterday and most tweets were about Gabby/Dawsey. Maybe the writers do think that viewers only care about her after all.

So Casey can be a great firefighter a contractor an undercover agent... A macgyver  like savior every few episodes and an alderman of the people who wants to shut down work because he was disrespected... Because make no mistake he didn't care to really get into the problem until that foreman was a jerk to him..  He can be all that but Gabby is the real problem... And this is from someone who thought she was really extra this week but he was just as bad and never seems to get any flak online... Super Gabby is hated but saint Casey is loved

Yes because Gabby is like that in almost every episode. And Casey's stories are a bit more believable. He was good at fixing stuff, they made this clear since the beginning and they completely dropped it once he became an alderman. He isn't a huge success as an alderman if we're being honest. I do agree that they hype his character up a bit, but he isn't annoying in most episodes.

Honestly? Since I binge watched all the seasons, I actually became a fan of Gabby AND I could see that gradually she became the show's no.1 focus. And I'm fine with Gabby saving the day, but not having it be so in your face. Since she became a paramedic again, poor Brett barely has any lines. Casey doesn't have amazing rescues every single episode, but apart from that, every time he gets to be the hero, Severide has a big part in the rescue as well. It's more balanced this way. And when he agreed to help CPD, he got caught into it, he didn't go after Voight telling him he's not good at his job. And well I think that the biggest issue is that Gabby has an attitude and that gets tiring real quick. At least Casey and even Severide get to be reprimanded and have to tone it down/learn their place. Gabby is giving an attitude to civilians, high ranks, every person she encounters. It's too much and not likeable. And to be fair, she was like that from ep.1 but she had so many sweet moments and she had to face consequences so I didn't mind, I liked her energy. But think about that last episode: she was insuferable and overly dramatic. I can't believe every other person in 51 was chill about the incident and only she went out of her mind. She was being an ass to that officer. Then we finally got a cute, relaxed moment with Casey in their house and randomly she went back to wannabeamother!mode. 

• Love 1

Btw I checked twitter yesterday and most tweets were about Gabby/Dawsey. Maybe the writers do think that viewers only care about her after all.

And therein lies the problem: it seems like too many TV writers rely exclusively on their Twitter followers for feedback, and the people who live Tweet and follow the show on Twitter are more likely to be devotees and sycophants than honest critics. Especially if they think they're "talking" to the writers. Yet they represent only a fraction of the audience, usually the part more likely to be enamored of everything the show does. Not only does this steer the writers in the wrong direction it also insulates them from criticism ("our fans love the show!"). I can understand that the writers aren't especially inclined to go out of their way looking for criticism of their work, but I wish they wouldn't fool themselves into thinking their Twitter followers represent the majority of the viewers. 

It almost makes me want to sign up for Twitter so I can tell them "stop listening to all these Twitter followers - we don't all love Gabby" but I know from hearsay I'd be shouted down/cyber bullied by all the uber-fans on Twitter. 

Edited by iMonrey

I totally agree! And I don't even see a reason to accommodate the fans that much. I mean, putting Gabby and Casey together was mostly to appease the fans. Yes it was always there, but a lot of shows started with a different storyline 'in mind' and changed once fans started seeing chemistry between two characters and being vocal about it. Giving them a wedding; fine. Making them the focus of the show; fine. But that doesn't mean they need to destroy a character by exposing them too much.

Casey Kelly and Gabby were always the leads yes its an ensemble but those 3 have always been front and center everyone else is somewhat ancillary... I agree Gabby is abrasive to a degree but shes always been like that.. And if you lose a baby have your beat friend killed then lise your foster kid id prob be a bit pissy as well i just don't see the amount of vitriol shown to Casey and Kelly who both have issues as for Gabby... Back in the IMDb days id go just to see how the comments would manage to blame her character for everything whether she was a huge part of an episode or not... 

I am curious though, does anyone really remember if Otis has given his ideas that was shot down by Hermmann? 

I thought there were some that I can't think of that Otis did have something he finally did, like the bar being a tourist attraction because it turned out to have been a scene of a murder? 

• Love 1

Tbh I don't remember Ottis proposing specific stuff but I think it's mostly because these are brief scenes and it's hard to remember the specific. But in general, every time there is a scene about Molly's, Ottis is always a team on his own and they don't really care about what he's proposing/saying. And I think the writers noticed and that's why Herrmann said that his ideas aren't that good. I just want him to come up with the next successfull idea because he was there since day 1 and yet the newcomer (Stella) is much better at this. Yes realistically, Stella said that she had experience running a bar or something like that, but I think Ottis deserves a storyline-even something as simple and brief as this.

Is anyone else worried that Anna may be an exit arc for Severide? I don't think they are going to end up together in Chicago. I think one of two things might happen. One, that he decides he is going to do anything he can to make this work- which will mean he makes the one to make the sacrifice and move to Springfield for her. What I hope happens, though, is she ends up being a symbol of the right intent  (someone to have a meaningful relationship with) but wrong person (he was blinded the the appeal of saving her). He would be devastated that his attempt at a real meaningful relationship failed, but maybe end up discovering that Stella has been there all along.

Anyway, I love Severide and after seeing this most recent episode, I think in becoming paranoid that maybe he's only wrapped up through this season and they are working on a happy exit for him, but am hoping with all my heart that is not what is happening!

All of the "Severide is leaving" rumors seem to be about 2 months old.  I think that was already teased, but he made his decision.  It never really occurred to me that he'd change his mind, and I haven't heard that Taylor Kinney wants to leave.

I don't think it makes sense for hm to leave now. He had the opportunity to leave and they chose to keep him on CF. And he specifically said that he wouldn't be able to live in a Springfield. Aaaand they brought Anna over so making them both move away would be kinda stupid at this point. But I also don't want him to break up with Anna. Not so much because I think she's the best for him, but I'm tired of seeing Severide jumping from a failed (serious) relationship to countless one night stands to another failed relationship.

(edited)

I thought making the decision to stay meant we were out of the woods (in terms of him leaving), but he made that decision for himself...and seeing that Anna isn't really happy, could he decide he needs to make a sacrifice to make love work? Honestly, I am probably being paranoid though. I'll just enjoy the series rather than fretting.  I only care so much because severide is one of my favorite distractions. And I hear you about not liking him jumping from relationship to one night stand, nothing working out 

Edited by Jess24