Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Gimme Shelter

MostlyC

This episode was better in S2 when they were taking cover from the acid fog and working out how to use Mount Weather signals against them.

Poor Kane, nobody wants to hear his sage advice this week. I'm glad he had a little moment with Abby though. At least someone appreciates him.

This episode would have been a lot better with some Raven but I suppose the girl could do with a break for a week, but lack of Jasper was enjoyable at least.

Edited by dippydee

All I could think all episode was of someone's comment here that they should all go live in Becca's enormous lab that easily withstood the previous apocalypse. Seriously. Build an underground tunnel between that place and her mansion, board up the windows, and you are golden, people.

• Love 8

Every time I see that lab/house, I just can't. That immaculately glowing pool? Becca and ALIE must have really prioritized what mattered with regards to security and upkeep throughout and after the apocalypse. Remember when sealed parking garages looked like shit with dusty cars (that should have had no tires left) and rusted shut overgrown doors? Mt. Weather had aging infrastructure and it was peopled by generational labourers, administrators, and medical professionals. I guess I just don't appreciate anything that ALIE brought to the table, even if it comes with a change in scenery.

• Love 1

Waw, that was one of the best episodes of the entire show (and this is a great season imo, save for the glaring "why the fuck dont they all go to Becca's mansion ?") ! Dark as hell. The atmosphere, the themes, the stakes, the visuals... it was morbidly beautiful and still had glimpses of hope (Octavia and Ilian, it was entirely predictable but I found the scene convincing) and a badass ending ! I burst out laughing when Emori revealed she faked it all out ! Probably this will get many people to hate her, but some Murphy in me cant help but applaude. Well done Emori ! Dark as fuck but damn, that improv ! 

Edited by Triskan
  • Love 2

Of all the things that happened this episode, the one I had the hardest time believing was that Octavia slept all night with a high ponytail.

Also, am I completely psychotic, or did Emori refer to good cooking as "good Ramsay"?

23 hours ago, dippydee said:

Poor Kane, nobody wants to hear his sage advice this week. I'm glad he had a little moment with Abby though. At least someone appreciates him.

One of my favourite moments was when he tried to be a father figure to Bellamy and Bellamy was like "You're not my dad!" "You floated my mom!"

I'm a little bit worried for Kane, though. First we had that scene where he and Abby talked about her dead husband, and now he's giving her a mid-season peptalk about how she has to be willing to make a sacrifice to save the group -- given that Abby's last partner died in part because she was willing to sacrifice him to save the group, I have concerns. Be safe, Marcus.

11 hours ago, taragel said:

All I could think all episode was of someone's comment here that they should all go live in Becca's enormous lab that easily withstood the previous apocalypse. Seriously. Build an underground tunnel between that place and her mansion, board up the windows, and you are golden, people.

I get that there are other concerns about food, water and medical supplies that make hiding out a bad option in the long term, but, even right now, while the acid rain is pouring on them -- yeah, couldn't they camp out in the mansion instead?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Octavia/Ilian. Come on, we saw that coming for a while. Why can't they put Octavia into a storyline with a kickass woman for a while rather than pair her up with a man. I know, Ilian isn't Lincoln yet, but I fear it'll head into the same direction where her storyline is only determined by the man she's with.

Makes perfect sense to me, actually. Octavia doesn't have her own identity, so she routinely takes other people's identities to feel whole. This is actually why she feels she's dead after Lincoln was killed.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Also, how do they want to produce enough Nightblood for it to be enough for Skaikru and the Grounder tribes?

Good question. Remember when the Mountain Men wanted to use the 100's bonemarrow to make themselves immune to radiation? They needed so much bonemarrow that they would kill them all. And now Luna's bonemarrow is supposed to be enough for everybody? And no mention that they would need so much that it would kill her.

• Love 4
Just now, nosleepforme said:

If you put it that way, it makes sense, but why does it always have to be a man? Oh, probably because the actress playing Indra is busy. But still, they could introduce another female character.

I have my issues with Octavia's story always being about learning her identity trough characters of color/culture that isn't her own but it's completely different issue to your "Octavia is defined by a man problem". I would agree with it, except that I don't think it's always a man Octavia tried to define herself by.

Octavia tried to assume Indra's identity (the Grounders identity Indra represented, anyway) in season 2. When Lincoln and Indra disappointed her in their behavior (as they both were not "Grounders" enough for Octavia's tastes), she took it really personally and lashed out at them (physically at Indra, verbally at Lincoln).

To further my theory, Octavia, due her upbringing, can't separate herself from other people, like a small child can't separate themselves from their parents. "I and my mother/father are the same thing, I have control over my father/mother, my emotions are their emotions, when I feel bad, they're my emotional outlet". It's really obvious from Octavia's relationship first with Bellamy (who always was her parent and never her sibling in all ways that matter and was pretty much the first and only man she couldn't help by defined herself by) and later Lincoln and Indra. She's feeling unmoored when she isn't tied to someone else, but she rejected Bellamy, she pretty much rejected Lincoln's views and then he died, she and Indra rejected each other. I don't even know, maybe it's good for the current Octavia to have some anchor in the form of Illian? Although I'd say she needs years of therapy, not a life-affirming sex session.

• Love 3

That was duller than dishwater.

Bellamy hightailing through the woods to try and save people that I can even remember who they are let alone if they matter.

Octavia angerbanging the guy she tried but failed to kill last episode.  All because they were trapped together. Never saw that coming </sarcasm>.  Basically Clarke and Finn 2.0 from S1.

Was that thing Octavia tossed in the water supposed to be meaningful ?  Did it belong to Lincoln and this was some big deep symbolic act that she was moving on ?  I've got nothing.

That pristine pool and house were ridiculous -- there weren't even any leaves in the pool.  Are there pool-maintenance drones ?  No decay in anything after nearly a 100 years.  Where's the food coming from ?  I didn't see any apple orchards nearby, but there were fresh apples.  
Emori turned off the security system -- why would it have been on with Murphy already in the house ?

Apparently there wasn't any shampoo or conditioner in the house, as Clarke's hair was not bouncing and behaving after her shower.

Nearly 100 year old canned goods still on the shelf -- not buying that either -- Emori's probably dead if she eats any of that stuff.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

If you put it that way, it makes sense, but why does it always have to be a man? Oh, probably because the actress playing Indra is busy. But still, they could introduce another female character.

I totally understand where you're coming from but I'm not sure I agree...

One of the greatest strenghts of the 100, is the presence of so many great women. Most of the main characters are women and it's awesome. Little (arguable) downside is that often the men are, in my opinion, less interesting. Anyway, my point is that there is no need to demand more women from the show, they aready have one hell of a female characters gallery and maybe, maybe, it can be better for the show to try and flesh out a couple more men characters, because apart from Jasper, Kane, Murphy and Roan, none of them are relevant or truly interesting, again, in my eyes... but that's just my two cents : I feel like Ilian can become a new interesting male character of the show, and considering the delightful amount of amazing women, it wouldnt hurt to have at least one more interesting dude.

Edited by Triskan
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Was that thing Octavia tossed in the water supposed to be meaningful ?  Did it belong to Lincoln and this was some big deep symbolic act that she was moving on ?  I've got nothing.

I think Lincoln's sword he gave Octavia broke when she was fighting with Echo and the Panda Clan. It was also ~symbolic. And this time it was knives (?), which was ~symbolic of moving on her murdering ways, I guess??

21 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Yeah, that's definitely one of those "reality is unrealistic" things. Common sense says 100 year old food should be toxic, but the reality is that boiled or irradiated material in a hemetically sealed can, particularly one that's been sitting motionless in a dry temperature controlled environment is probably far safer to eat than a lot of the stuff you'd find in the wild (which could have God knows what bacteria or disease that could take you out if its not cooked past the boiling point).

In terms of the plot, I'm halfway expecting the nightblood trial on the intruder to fail though (because they're a random extra and there still enough time in the season for a Hail Mary afterwards) so that someone has to make a one-way trip with the limited fuel they do have (i.e. an unused Chekov's gun) in the rocket to synthesize it and drop it back to earth (established via Raven's simulations that something survivable to the cargo doesn't have to be so for the rocket/crew) while the matryr gets a teary goodbye over the radio scene. Its just how this show rolls (and my hunch would be Abby since she's got the same medical problem Raven has, has the medical skill to synthesize the nightblood and it would twist the knife for both Kain and Clarke).

• Love 4

Bellamy's redemption tour isn't going so well, huh?

Emori is stone cold. I love it.

I agree Kane should watch his back about Abby, but I can't imagine him being any less than stellar in bed so maybe that'll help save him. Options are limited in the post-apocalypse, yall.

Edited by wonderchica05
  • Love 2

I was surprised Murphy didn't know/wasn't in on Emori's plan, hell I figured he cooked it up but no, she just .... what the hell did she do? I mean did she find some rando in the woods, convince him to follow her.... no that doesnt make sense since he attacked her.....so some rando just HAPPENED to stumble upon the mansion? I'm overthinking this....

• Love 1

I had my suspicions that Emori was playing some kind of angle with this new guy, so I wasn't surprised when it was revealed that he never did anything to her, and it was all so she could set him up to be the one to get tested.  Still, that was well played and the actress did a good job with the reveal.  And, of course, Murphy would give her a proud smile!  Oh, you two (psychos!)

Saw a clear shot of Abby's hands trembling, so she is clearly not well.  Not as bad as poor Raven, but she clearly has been effected too.

And.... Bellamy hits another bump in the road to any redemption, when he fails to save some guy and his son, who I don't remember if they've ever been shown before.  Almost felt bad for him. Almost.  I will admit that I did laugh when Kane gave his big speech about how Bellamy's mom would have been proud of him, and Bellamy just simply respond with "Dude, you floated my mom, remember?"  Kind of does take the wind out of the inspirational sails, there.

Octavia gets angry, almost kills herself, hooks up with Ilian, and now is going to his farm.  What?.....

Harper gets something to do.  Oh, and finding a way to get Chelsey Reist in her underwear was nice.  Monty, you lucky bastard!

For all of her strengths, Clarke really has the worst poker face ever.

Finally, I would totally watching a cooking web-series, starring Murphy.

• Love 2

This show just.. makes me tired. I'm so tired of every episode being some huge moral dilemma and life or death scenario. I'm tired of every season revolving around humanity vs. survival with no in-between when the characters keep choosing the latter every single season. I'm tired of the writers thinking half these characters qualify as morally ambiguous when they're just pieces of shits who'll do whatever it takes to save their own people which is not different from any other enemies they've gone up against (but no, you guys, these people are the good guys).

I'm tired of Bellamy still having to redeem himself when other characters can say shit like: "This works, we survive, it’s as simple as that" to justify human sacrifice in the same episode without hesitation with no negative response from the audience. I'm tired of Octavia's angst, I really am, because I stopped giving a shit about her after she killed innocent people with zero remorse not just this season, but also when she attacked Pike when the tower was being invaded. Of her being paired up with another POC she's already abused (and does Ilian know she beheaded his friend a few episodes ago?) Of Clarke's word being final because everyone else is suddenly rendered incompetent whenever she's in the vicinity. Of Kane no longer being an effective leader all of a sudden. 

I don't fault Luna for isolating herself from all these people because they're all assholes and screw the narrative for painting her as being in the wrong for rejecting the Sky Crew last season. I am 100% convinced they're going to get her killed one way or another.

• Love 2

No. Plot. 

So is this Ilian thing Stockholm Syndrome or what? She tried to kill him this morning. Or this afternoon. Or yesterday. I give up on any timeline at this stage. Either way, sex with your captors is never not icky.

The mansion is ridiculous.

• Love 2
(edited)

Suspension of disbelief is one thing; insulting viewers' basic intelligence is quite another. 

So, "black rain" only effects human skin? Not organic materials, clothing, vegetation, rubber, etc.? And its effects can be alleviated/negated by a quick rinse with plain water? Gotcha. Oh and, you rip off all your clothes because pain is unbearable, except for undies because modesty is more intense than radiation burns.  

And the lab/mansion is dust/dirt free, fully stocked, fully electrified, etc. AND has a space ship ... but it's out of gas. Em hmm. 

The ark has crashed down from space and been blown up/set on fire how many times? And yet STILL has working jail cells, computers and intact crystal  chandeliers?

Also all this talk about fertile females "on the list" ... Yet no one muses about how weird it is that not one of these supposedly child-bearing age girls has gotten knocked up from all the sexing up of each other they've done since landing 2 weeks or 2 years, or whatever the hell its supposed to have been, ago?  They sent the 100 down to Earth with no food or supplies ... Other than a generous amount of condoms, apparently. (The dumbness that it was only "97 years" -- AKA only 3 generations, give or take -- since first nuclear disaster and Earth has totally regrown, humans have genetically mutated and adopted entire new cultures and languages plus forgotten thousands of years of education still makes me mad EVERY SINGLE TIME IT'S POINTED OUT.)

Lastly, to be clear, Octavia had a through and through stab wound from a dirty sword, fell 1,000+ feet and went untreated for days only to then be 3' from a major explosion and ... She's totes ready for sexy time with a guy whose bruises from a mild beating he sustained on the same day are more visible than any wound she has. 

This show ... ?‍♀️

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Love 5

Wow. They actually made the black rain sound like it's an inconvenience. I can't believe they did that. Oh, so it kind of burns but you're good if you splash fresh water on your arms and face. I mean, it's unlucky for the ones who aren't near water, but sounds like it doesn't suck that bad since there are many places to stay safe (inside a vehicle inside a cave, underground, etc). The welts from Luna's group a few episodes ago sounds much worse. The acid fog was somehow portrayed as much worse. They really should have gone all out on the black rain, instead of halfway. More angst for Bellamy, though. Also, did Bellamy just turn back and not go for the father/son dead bodies after the rain stopped? Sucks to be those two guys.

I mean, who didn't see the Octavia/Ilian sex coming? I mean, it's not like Lincoln just died or anything...oh, wait. I mean, I guess technically he died, like, two months ago at this point, but Octavia's been love struck about him for the entire series. I guess she just really needed that comfort. Seriously, though, we need Octavia with yet another love interest, but they can't muster up a Blake sibling arc. And no, having them share a scene every other episode where Octavia bitches at him and Bellamy looks sad doesn't count. 

Seriously, they have a mansion and a lab perfectly in tact. Presumably, it's been around since the bombs. Why are their people not there? What, did ALIE/Becca build it over time after the bombs? It's kind of ridiculous in the first place. At least keep their people there for the time being.

I figured Emori was planning something with the guy. The actress usually doesn't play Emori so obviously. She just felt off.   

I find myself having less and less to say this season.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Seriously, they have a mansion and a lab perfectly in tact. Presumably, it's been around since the bombs. Why are their people not there? What, did ALIE/Becca build it over time after the bombs? It's kind of ridiculous in the first place. At least keep their people there for the time being.

I remember having long discussions about wondering why they weren't using the lab and the mansion.  I don't know if we ever came up with a good reason they weren't.  I think the default answer must have been they weren't radiation proof, but I honestly don't think the show ever explained.  (Spoiler I guess, ha ha.) 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the writers said it's not radiation-proofed when someone asked them repeatedly on Twitter. Which yeah, what is a "world-building", writers?

9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Seriously, though, we need Octavia with yet another love interest, but they can't muster up a Blake sibling arc. And no, having them share a scene every other episode where Octavia bitches at him and Bellamy looks sad doesn't count. 

But the writers tried so hard with those revolutionary plots about Bellamy loving his sister unconditionally and willing to give up his life for her! It's not like he raised her and was devoted to her since he was 6-years-old or anything! /sarcasm

Edited by CooperTV
On 9/22/2017 at 2:36 AM, CooperTV said:

I think the writers said it's not radiation-proofed when someone asked them repeatedly on Twitter. Which yeah, what is a "world-building", writers?

So....this mansion and lab were both built after the bombs, and it has perfectly working electricity, high tech gadgets and machines, and is probably the only nice buildings around? But it's not radiation proof? Ok, then. 

On 9/22/2017 at 2:36 AM, CooperTV said:

But the writers tried so hard with those revolutionary plots about Bellamy loving his sister unconditionally and willing to give up his life for her! It's not like he raised her and was devoted to her since he was 6-years-old or anything! /sarcasm

Heh, this made me chuckle.