Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I hope James is not reading this thread. Can you imagine that strangers on a forum are talking about the logistics after your death, while you are still alive? shudderrr...

If it gave him a wake-up call, then I'd hope he would be reading it.  But honestly, if heart failure didn't give him that jolt, then nothing else would.

I think James is just in such denial, that nothing can get into his psyche.  He's built a concrete wall of defenses against his emotions.  I'm sure that today, he's closer to 900 pounds and is still blaming the new mattress for making him look fat, and claiming that he "feels looser".

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Trees said:

So, with them, they put their bodies directly on the conveyor belt.

Let me get this straight, the bodies were the ONLY thing on the conveyor belt?  No box?  Here, where I live, they MADE us buy a cardboard container for my Dad's body.  No way around it.  Believe me, we tried.  I even volunteered to look for some orange crates or something because my Dad WAS cheap.  No dice.  At least they didn't try to force us to embalm before cremation (not required in my state).  Funeral homes love to hook and crook people.

Edited by Dru Blood
typo
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

Let me get this straight, the bodies were the ONLY thing on the conveyor belt?  No box?  Here, where I live, they MADE us buy a cardboard container for my Dad's body.  No way around it.  Believe me, we tried.  I even volunteered to look for some orange crates or something because my Dad WAS cheap.  No dice.  At least they didn't try to force us to embalm before cremation (not required in my state).  Funeral homes love to hood and crook people.

That's what my sister said.  Maybe I am remembering wrong. But she saw their bodies.

Definitely not coffins.

• Love 1

Lol, I am watching this AGAIN and every time I get madder at James. Lisa is expected to figure out EVERYTHING while he lies in bed peeing and moaning. He's such a BS artist about his dad, claiming how angry he is that he's unable to help his father, who MORTGAGED HIS DAMN HOUSE to haul James's ponderous ass to Houston. I didn't even see him thank his father. GAH!!

As much as Lisa protested and complained, James gained 100 pounds under her care AFTER the doctor gave them a diet plan. In some sick way, Lisa gets something out of James staying sick. Otherwise, she wouldn't keep handing his bedridden ass PIE when the doctor has explained it will kill him.

They need to have eating disorder rehab for people over 400 pounds. James needed in-patient treatment.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

As much as Lisa protested and complained, James gained 100 pounds under her care AFTER the doctor gave them a diet plan. In some sick way, Lisa gets something out of James staying sick. Otherwise, she wouldn't keep handing his bedridden ass PIE when the doctor has explained it will kill him.

They need to have eating disorder rehab for people over 400 pounds. James needed in-patient treatment.

There again we have the question of $$$.  Should Medicare really be funding in-patient treatment for a guy with a death-wish?  Who has had fabulous opportunities and just keeps eating?

Even if you take $ out of the equation, put a guy like James into in-patient treatment.  His enablers will visit him with cheeseburgers in their pockets.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I hope James is not reading this thread. Can you imagine that strangers on a forum are talking about the logistics after your death, while you are still alive? shudderrr...

Good point! But actually, I hope both James and Lisa are reading it. Like Trees said upthread, they need a wake up call. Unfortunately, they are both probably too dense and obtuse to be helped.

However, on the slight chance there is still hope:

James! Lisa! Get your s**t together or James most likely won't live out the year! 

You're welcome ...

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Trees said:

There again we have the question of $$$.  Should Medicare really be funding in-patient treatment for a guy with a death-wish?  Who has had fabulous opportunities and just keeps eating?

It would seriously bog down the system if you tried to create and enforce rules trying to decide who deserves treatment.  I read about this on the food stamps program in Delaware.  They previously declined to cover junk food.  But eventually the legislature realized that keeping track of what constitutes "junk food" and should be excluded was more trouble than it was worth. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And in the latter case, no one will have to listen to him scream, "Ow . . . mah laygs!!!!"

Ow, mah sides from laughing my ass off.    This is so wrong, but its Jeff Lewis inappropriate and I always laugh with him.

I guess I will have panties that just combust, no gasoline needed because I am so bad.

3 hours ago, Trees said:

So, with them, they put their bodies directly on the conveyor belt.  When the family is ready, they push a button. It moves. It goes through a door and the family can't witness anything anymore because that's where it goes into the flames.

Sounds like soon they will have something similar to watching your car get washed. Heck, they are making jewelry out of people now, so anything goes I guess.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Dru Blood said:

Let me get this straight, the bodies were the ONLY thing on the conveyor belt?  No box?  Here, where I live, they MADE us buy a cardboard container for my Dad's body.  No way around it.  Believe me, we tried.  I even volunteered to look for some orange crates or something because my Dad WAS cheap.  No dice.  At least they didn't try to force us to embalm before cremation (not required in my state).  Funeral homes love to hook and crook people.

I worked with a guy who used to have a job at a crematorium dumping ashes. If the family didn't want them, he'd take them and dump them where the person had requested. Here's the best part, he'd take a date. Go to dinner, drive half an hour into the desert, get the box of ashes from the backseat and dump them at sunset. Never mind the occasional bit of bone that didn't quite incinerate fully. Super romantic, right?

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, MillieSparklepants said:

I worked with a guy who used to have a job at a crematorium dumping ashes. If the family didn't want them, he'd take them and dump them where the person had requested. Here's the best part, he'd take a date. Go to dinner, drive half an hour into the desert, get the box of ashes from the backseat and dump them at sunset. Never mind the occasional bit of bone that didn't quite incinerate fully. Super romantic, right?

The things you learn...

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, MillieSparklepants said:

It takes all kinds.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Heck, they are making jewelry out of people now, so anything goes I guess.

There is also this cool thing where you become a tree. I don't know the specifics, but basically, a person's ashes are assembled together with a growth medium and a seed. You plant the packet, and as the tree grows, your ashes feed and commingle with the roots and you become part of the tree. 

Then, your family has a nice living memory of you.

• Love 10
On 3/17/2017 at 3:35 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Closely watched last night's Supersized episode because, after watching the original one, and reading all of your comments here, I realized that I had missed a lot of details in the first one. One detail which I managed to miss twice was the screen message about being an expert on the "female persuasion."

Do any of you think it's possible that James spotted poor, abused, downtrodden Lisa all those years ago as an easy mark to fulfill his needs? My thinking is that after becoming her "friend" and comforting her when he saw she was upset with a kiss on the cheek, where she said she fell instantly in love with him, was just the beginning of his grooming process, much like the way a pedophile can spot and groom a young child to get what he wants.

I mean, he wasn't exactly a catch when she met him, already obese at 400 pounds, but being the slime ball that we know him to be, saw an opportunity for free booty on demand knowing how physically abusive her husband was. All he had to show her was a minimal amount of affection and he could get anything he wanted. Just like a large predator can sniff out their prey, I think he saw a sad, desperate woman and pounced.

Once that sick dynamic was in place, he could get her to do anything: cheat on her husband, have two kids by him, but being a lazy bastard, allow his children to be raised and financially supported by someone he knew was violent, and even after the divorce, not bother to marry her, which leads us to the truly sick relationship we have all been witnessed to.

After years of that treatment by him, it was a cakewalk (pun intended) to get her to do all of the humiliating things he does to her--wash his ass, pull their daughter out of school to help wash his ass, clean his wounds, empty his bags full of pee, spend God knows how many hours shopping for, preparing, and serving him food, sleep on the floor in case he pisses or shits himself in the middle of the night--all the while getting bigger and bigger, and more nasty and infantile with each passing day.

We know he is beyond all help, but I wonder if, after decades of abuse by her ex and this giant turd, she's so beaten down that there's no saving her either. Also, she'll likely never leave him because for her one of the most painful things she is desperately trying to emotionally or psychologically avoid is the fact that not only does not love or even like her now, he never did.

At least that's how I see it.

So sad to say, but I you you nailed it.

Edited by 55Unicorns
extra word
  • Love 8
On 3/17/2017 at 6:45 PM, Runnergirl said:

Not someone of James' size, but I have had folks in the 400s. We usually call for extra help and it looks like they had around 7 people while moving James. Even when we try to be careful, back injuries still happen--even with the battery operated cots. 

A patient like James would definitely be challenging--not directly due to his size, but also to his attitude. I get he was in chronic pain but the little things he screamed about--what a baby. I've treated kids with torn off limbs who behave better than James. 

IKR. It'd have to be a powerful one. We must know the weight of a person before even calling a helicopter and sometimes, they are just too heavy to be flown. Maybe one of the Hueys could carry him, I've never put a person that size into one. 

TOTAL Admiration for people like you...I know I couldn't do it.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Trees said:

If it gave him a wake-up call, then I'd hope he would be reading it.  But honestly, if heart failure didn't give him that jolt, then nothing else would.

If he hasn't had a wake up call by now then he'll end up dead.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Heck, they are making jewelry out of people now, so anything goes I guess.

That is exactly my husband's plan if I go before him.  He's gonna make a diamond out of me, have it set in a ring and propose to his next wife with it.  God I married a creep. :)

5 hours ago, meow-mah-leg said:

Personally, if they decided to put their freak show on display, via reality TV, they are just going to have to deal with the eventual conversations that take place ABOUT them and all of their issues.  If they don't like it, shouldn't have done it.  Hence you will NEVER see me on reality TV.  I don't even have a Facebook page, 'cause I don't need anyone knowing my business.

• Love 11

I wonder if James saw Tracey's episode and if he realizes now that could have been him if he'd gone along with the program. Her legs were oozing pretty bad and she was in constant pain but we didn't hear "Ow mah leygs" for 2 hours straight. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

That is exactly my husband's plan if I go before him.  He's gonna make a diamond out of me, have it set in a ring and propose to his next wife with it.  God I married a creep. :)

Your husband is a hoot.  I like the cut of his jib.

So what's your plan if HE goes first?  ;)

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

So what's your plan if HE goes first?  ;)

Happy Dance!  Then the realization that I can't live off the ring he bought me will set in and I will be sad, for a moment.  Just joshing, though.

Edited by Dru Blood
too mean.
  • Love 4
On 3/19/2017 at 5:34 PM, AZChristian said:

I finally read the article.  I'm doubtful it's him as well.  Did you ever see one inch of their home in Kentucky or Texas that had actual decor in the background?  But it's confusing for sure that the article claims to be about him.  Did it actually say he lost weight?  I thought it was just a recap of the episode, with a "what do you think happened" question at the end.

As many of the commenters pointed out, the picture doesn't look like James, and the article is very poorly written. Hard to tell what in the world the writer knows . . . if anything . . . about the case.

I think it looks like another patient of Dr. Now's....I THINK his name was Donald; he had a father and sister that died of obesity.

• Love 1

I wanted to be a reef ball. That's where they mix your ashes in concrete and use it to make a ball that interconnects to others to make an artificial reef. I'm Catholic though and it isn't allowed. We bought niches. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I wanted to be a reef ball. That's where they mix your ashes in concrete and use it to make a ball that interconnects to others to make an artificial reef. I'm Catholic though and it isn't allowed. We bought niches. 

Ohhhh! Being a reef ball or a tree would be so cool! I'd so much rather be cremated than slowly rot in a coffin. Ick.

DC Gal - I think your analysis that James saw Lisa as a soft target and he's been using her ever since is right on. Maybe that's partly why people are so passionate about this episode. There have been dirtbags on the show before (Chuck, I'm looking at you) but no one who has reached this level of despicableness in all areas. A dubious honor, for sure.

Edited by MillieSparklepants
Typos
  • Love 4

Btw someone upthread mentioned how Lisa talks like Melinda, the mentally challenged woman from Sling Blade...okay Sling Blade is probably my favorite movie, in that I watch it a LOT. I was rewatching James' ep after that comment was made and I realised that James and Lisa both talk just like the characters in Sling Blade. Like they have the same exact accent, I could just hear them saying the characters' lines in my head (especially Lisa saying Melinda's "Its the onleh time I don't lihk ringin' up customurrs, when mah feet hurrt"). Sling Blade takes place in Arkansas, but I guess its the same general accent.

• Love 4

So I was just at the grocery store, and James K was on my mind, as he has been ever since I first watched this episode.

The thing is about eating low carb, you can eat a lot of really great things and not feel totally deprived.  Yes, it is a colossal adjustment to cut things out of your diet, especially sugar.  My husband and I are low-carbing right now to drop some weight and we are always amazed and delighted what we can eat while doing it.  It takes some effort, though.  It takes research about what to eat and what not to eat (and they have Dr. Now's handy little list!).  It takes some planning.  Most of all, it takes commitment.  You're either going to do it, or you won't.

That's what I think irritates me the most about James K.  I mean, if your life was at such serious risk that you suffered congestive heart failure, wouldn't you be on Dr. Google constantly to find out what steps you need to take to get yourself healthy again?  Wouldn't you scout out the (literally) thousands of low carb websites that have forums, and recipes, and great advice?  Wouldn't you recognize that this is pretty much your last chance in life, and that your family is counting on you, and your father refinanced his house to pay for your jaunt to Houston, and say, "Well dammit, at least I am going to try"?

No.  Instead we get to hear "OWWWWAHHH, MAH LEGS!  AHHHHM FALLIN'!  DON"T LET MAH LEGS DROP!" and whining about Dr. Now and questioning the lovely nurse who weighed him (158 lb. gain!).  He continues to eat in his totally destructive way, except he MUST have increased what he was eating.  How else did he gain that 158 lbs.?

It's honestly not his weight that bugs me, it's his attitude toward others and the plight that he, James, has put himself in.  He thinks he should just be able to have a magical surgery without a moment of feeling deprived, feeling inconvenienced, or even feeling pained.  He's a big baby, a big annoying baby who has eaten his way into one hell of a mess.  

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, NeitherSparky said:

Btw someone upthread mentioned how Lisa talks like Melinda, the mentally challenged woman from Sling Blade...okay Sling Blade is probably my favorite movie, in that I watch it a LOT. I was rewatching James' ep after that comment was made and I realised that James and Lisa both talk just like the characters in Sling Blade. Like they have the same exact accent, I could just hear them saying the characters' lines in my head (especially Lisa saying Melinda's "Its the onleh time I don't lihk ringin' up customurrs, when mah feet hurrt"). Sling Blade takes place in Arkansas, but I guess its the same general accent.

There is a strong regional connection between the Ozarks and the Appalachian folks. 

• Love 1

I own my own business (e-commerce) and today during a break I told my 22-year old assistant about James.  She was stunned.  Then I showed her the astonishing pix on his GoFundMe page (the one where the Mexican restaurant gave him 300 bucks) and her jaw dropped.

I shouted, "Ow! Mah Laygs" for her too.  ;)  A couple of times.

What can I say?  We work hard and focus intently.  Then we take some breaks and laugh at dumb stuff and play with office cats.

• Love 13
On 3/22/2017 at 7:32 AM, Michael Stabosz said:

On another topic.... Dr. Now often says that surgery is the only hope for these patients.  Are there any cases of super-obese people like this getting back to a healthy weight through diet and exercise alone?  I feel like it would be very difficult, because the hunger pains from having so much empty space in their huge stomachs would become unbearable.

I think the greatly expanded stomaches is going to be a big problem for most of these patients. Hell, I've been on my own weight loss plan since mid October. While I'm not nearly that large, at first, it was hard because it does take more food to feel "full". It's also the problem with weight loss surgery. The stomach is a muscle, it can and will stretch back out. It's part of why patients are warned away from soda and are given small portions post-surgery. The carbonation can expand the stomach when the gas is captured in the stomach. Larger portions will also expand the remaining stomach.

1 hour ago, Trees said:

I own my own business (e-commerce) and today during a break I told my 22-year old assistant about James.  She was stunned.  Then I showed her the astonishing pix on his GoFundMe page (the one where the Mexican restaurant gave him 300 bucks) and her jaw dropped.

I shouted, "Ow! Mah Laygs" for her too.  ;)  A couple of times.

What can I say?  We work hard and focus intently.  Then we take some breaks and laugh at dumb stuff and play with office cats.

You have office cats? I am so jealous!

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

You have office cats? I am so jealous!

Yep, 2 old shelter cats. I own the business and the building.  I bring my 2 dogs to work every day, too.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Trees said:

Oy, they made the family buy an oversized coffin?  Then incinerated it??? 

My parents wanted "witnessed" cremations. (It's a thing).  Their desire for "witnessed" came from the scandal in FL where a guy with a crematorium let 300 bodies stack up and gave back boxes of dirt for cremains.

So, with them, they put their bodies directly on the conveyor belt.  When the family is ready, they push a button. It moves. It goes through a door and the family can't witness anything anymore because that's where it goes into the flames.

Thank you for that info, I had no idea 'witnessed cremations' was a thing. 

11 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

There is also this cool thing where you become a tree. I don't know the specifics, but basically, a person's ashes are assembled together with a growth medium and a seed. You plant the packet, and as the tree grows, your ashes feed and commingle with the roots and you become part of the tree. 

Then, your family has a nice living memory of you.

I love this idea, and it's what I want for myself too. :-)

• Love 1

I still can't get over this episode. It has my thoughts go to places I don't want to but just for good measure I will share...so I eat 1500 calories a day (I track it in my fitnesspal, I have struggled with my weight my whole life and to track every bite is the only way to keep my BMI in a healthy range). Ok....and I crap once a day. If James takes in between 15000 and 20000 calories a day...does he have to crap 10 to 15 times a day? Which would be more than once an hour? Does it mean that Lisa and Bayley have to clean poopy pads and poopy butt all the time?? I am not asking because of the poopy but because it seemed like it was very hard on them to roll him over to do the changing. You would think he would feel tremendous guilt and would reduce his food intake to make life easier on them. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I still can't get over this episode. It has my thoughts go to places I don't want to but just for good measure I will share...so I eat 1500 calories a day (I track it in my fitnesspal, I have struggled with my weight my whole life and to track every bite is the only way to keep my BMI in a healthy range). Ok....and I crap once a day. If James takes in between 15000 and 20000 calories a day...does he have to crap 10 to 15 times a day? Which would be more than once an hour? Does it mean that Lisa and Bayley have to clean poopy pads and poopy butt all the time?? I am not asking because of the poopy but because it seemed like it was very hard on them to roll him over to do the changing. You would think he would feel tremendous guilt and would reduce his food intake to make life easier on them. 

There used to be a show on British TV where a nutritionist would go to the homes of obese people, would put out on a table a replication of what they ate in one day (the table was usually overflowing); then she would have them provide an entire bowel movement in something that looked like a 9x13 glass baking dish.  She would look at just one movement and go on and on about how abnormally large it was, and usually about how stinky it was.  Maybe James only goes once or twice a day, but I bet they are HUMdingers.

One of the pop-ups on the expanded episode said he had been having bowel issues.  Now THAT would have resulted in multiple changes every day.  And another pop-up said Lisa had hernias from shoving him around.

Guilt?  Have we ever seen ONE indication that James feels guilt about ANYTHING?  Taking money from his father's second mortgage to go to Houston and party up another 150 pounds?  Letting his hernia-filled girlfriend shove him over to clean up his excrement while he screams "ow, mah layg" several times a day?  Pulls his daughter out of school to help her mother?  I don't think James' dictionary even has that word in it.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I use MyFitnessPal too, it really does work.

I was wondering about all that too, oh my! ?If you consume that much I would think you would have horrendous bowel movements. And even if it's solid, if he is lying on it with his 840 lb carcass, everything would just liquefy and clean up as if it were diarrhea, whether it is or not!

Be afraid...be very afraid... ?

36 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Guilt?  Have we ever seen ONE indication that James feels guilt about ANYTHING?  Taking money from his father's second mortgage to go to Houston and party up another 150 pounds?  Letting his hernia-filled girlfriend shove him over to clean up his excrement while he screams "ow, mah layg" several times a day?  Pulls his daughter out of school to help her mother?  I don't think James' dictionary even has that word in it.

Yep. This. All of it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I ran the numbers earlier in this thread.  James probably doesn't eat quite that much.  I think he eats "only" about 10,000 calories per day, based on an estimate of the metabolism of a man his size and his weight gain between those two visits.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Trees said:

Yep, 2 old shelter cats. I own the business and the building.  I bring my 2 dogs to work every day, too.

I would have loved to work at a place like yours!  I'm a crazy cat lady, and I love dogs too :)

• Love 4

They're replaying Henry's story, and it's such a contrast to James's. Henry, from season 1, wanted the surgery because he was tired of being obese. He had slips, but he owned them and he moved past them. He wanted to work and got a job. He had a girlfriend who left him when he started requiring constant care. They got back together when he could care for himself. 

James wants to be infantilized. He likes being helpless. He likes having Lisa and Bayley at his beck and call. It's a complete opposite of a lot of the early patients. 

Edited by Ivylady
Typo
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Ivylady said:

They're replaying Henry's story, and it's such a contrast to James's. Henry, from season 1, wanted the surgery because he was tired of being obese. He had slips, but he owned them and he moved past them. He wanted to work and got a job. He had a girlfriend who left him when he started requiring constant care. They got back together when he could care for himself. 

James wants to be infantlized. He likes being helpless. He likes having Lisa and Bayley at his beck and call. It's a complete opposite of a lot of the early patients. 

A guy like James wouldn't work with the format of the first season.  No way he's gonna survive 7 years.

• Love 2

The early episodes were much less exploitive.  No shower scenes, etc.  They're more respectful to the patient and way less shocking.  I think there are fewer "gorging on fast food" scenes too but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, meow-mah-leg said:

If James takes in between 15000 and 20000 calories a day...does he have to crap 10 to 15 times a day? Which would be more than once an hour? Does it mean that Lisa and Bayley have to clean poopy pads and poopy butt all the time?? I am not asking because of the poopy but because it seemed like it was very hard on them to roll him over to do the changing. You would think he would feel tremendous guilt and would reduce his food intake to make life easier on them. 

OK, I wasn't going to mention this, but you just had to go there...I noticed on the James episode that he consumed 2 HUGE plates of steak, mashed potatoes, and corn (2 starches!  WHY?).  Corn...think about that.  Corn on a chux.  Corn on a chux YOU don't have to change and clean up the residue of.  Corn doesn't digest very well.  It also tends to give some people diarrhea.  Why would someone who has to clean that mess up give the bed bound patient corn?

Also, why do so many of the clients on this show even eat corn!  It is a starch, not a vegetable.  Don't bother telling me it is one, because it isn't.  And I guarantee you, it isn't on Dr. Now's diet either.

• Love 7