Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Tanisha's Story

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Velisity said:

Dr. Now didn't do what he usually does. He didn't recommend a therapist until a year after she started. When has he ever done that?? He normally does it after the first time they fail. TLC had to a hand in that happening. If she just gave up and said "I'm not doing this." they wouldn't of had much of a show would they? So they gave her a little push to create drama. If you get what I'm saying.

I don't think she went in for months and months on end.

I'm not sure when he was supposed to suggest a therapist if she wasn't showing up for appointments. 

Im also suspicious of the editing so who knows what happened when.

I have had a couple elective surgeries (not WLS) and I can guarantee you there is a whole lot more to a surgery than the little snippet we see on TV. Any surgery I've had involves a long drawn out pre op appointment and tons of paperwork. I've been sent home with reams of paper to read and all sort of instructions. There is also always someone I can talk to at the office if I have any questions.

No way are these people leaving that office without tons of information. 

• Love 13
(edited)
13 hours ago, Pretty5Vacant said:

I come from the imdb boards and I come in peace :) frequent reader here though

I am SO pissed that they discontinued the IMDB boards!  I wasn't  prolific poster over there, but I used the boards all the time for stuff like finding out if shows I like had been renewed or canceled, or to find the names of songs that played on certain shows (Shazam can be wonky at times).

Edited by flappa1016
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Two words--low standards

My god, that was obscene. You just know she made everyone's life hell if she didn't get what she wanted. She had every excuse in the book. "I'm stressed!" "Its an addiction, I need help!" "my kids need me!" but they all meant the same thing "I want to lose weight but I don't want to stop eating crap". As Shelley used to say on Celebrity Rehab, "she's not prepared to do what it takes. She's prepared to do what she thinks it should take".

Her kids are headed there too. Not only is she not available to parent them, she makes them enable her bad habits and encourages them in the same bad habits. And really, there are enough stray men around that she can find a new honey in fifteen minutes? I would worry about those girls. That is fishy as hell.

I think TLC came to her house and tried to persuade her to continue for a couple of reasons. They knew they had a trainwreck on their hands and had to try and salvage it. They'd probably already paid her at least some of the money for the show. Maybe her producer came by again and said "sure Tanisha, we'll get out of your life. Just give back the $2500 we've already paid you and we'll be gone". And I'm sure she signed a contract. Surprise! you don't get to just walk out if you change your mind!

Omg I loved Shelley on Celeb Rehab! She didn't mince words and told it like it was. 

• Love 4

Geez I am only 30 minutes in and am yelling at the TV. He asks T to lose 30 pounds and she's all excited for losing 11. I get thst she lost but it wasn't the required amount. I feel T just has never had to be responsible or accountable for anything. What an excuse-she can't worry about the weight because she has to take care of the house and kids since her husband left. I'm all over the place but all this food that is prepared-she doesn't take out a head of lettuce and some tomatoes and make a salad, she grabs a container. I am on a tight budget and can't afford pre made or fast food-how do these people? These poor daughters need to learn healthy eating habits, that's how she can be a good mom. 

ok back to watching...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Well yes, Yes, YES to all of this TicketToHellPaid, especially the money part. I don't know what fast food generally costs where any of you live but here in the metropolitan DC area you will pay a minimum of about $7.00-$8.00 for a supersized McDonald's meal here. And please no one tell me about the dollar menu since none of these folks are eating from that. So, let's say, if they were living in this area and bought the equivalent of two of these meals a day just for themselves (and I totally believe some of them are spending much more than that on take out and delivery) that would come to $5,475 per year just for a portion of what they eat per day. That's not counting all of the sodas, snack chips, candy bars, ice cream, super processed food and additional fast food they feed themselves and their families daily. I can't speak for anyone else but that's a helluva lot of $$$ out of my annual income and would be absolutely unsustainable for me. Therefore, most of these people who are already on the edge financially are literally eating their families out of house and home.

For those who keep saying "I'm doing this for my children" but don't seem willing to put in the work required of them, I wish TLC or Dr. Now would lay out how much of a financial burden they are to their families. How about "Gee Tanisha/Nicole/Marla and others you could be putting away tens of thousands of dollars towards your kids' college funds if you would do what Dr. Now is telling you to do."

But, hey, that's not part of the TLC formula so never mind.

And $5 a day for a 12 pack of soda. You can find it cheaper but I doubt these people are coupon bargain shopping when they have a craving. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

And yes, of course they did. It's a TV show. It's supposed to entertain us. That's why we watch. I don't get the feeling she was exploited at all. If you call the show, make the deal, and take the cash, then you need to uphold your end of the bargain. How often in life do you get paid to help yourself?

Word to that Hockeymom! I mean exactly how many appointments did she keep in, what, a year and a half, maybe four? You dance with the Devil (aka TLC) you gotta pay your dues. Also, is she probably the closest patient to Dr. Now's office ever? I remember getting a queasy feeling of epic failure on her part when she was bitchin about the unendurable 90 minute drive to his office. Blecch!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To correct typo.
  • Love 9

I actually enjoyed this episode more because it broke from what has become the standard format.  It's clear Tanisha didn't understand how much effort this was going to take.  Her mother had recently died and, during the filming, she got divorced.  The session with the therapist was much better than many we have seen.  The therapist talked to her like an adult, showed respect which Tanisha clearly reacted well to, but also laid out how her past traumas were affecting her current behavior and situation.  I particularly found the idea of why she eats more at night very interesting. 

She also was shown cleaning and doing laundry.  When she was less mobile, she probably didn't do as much.  When she had to she was driving on her own.  Her children were clothed and clean.  The scene of her doing her daughter's hair was sweet.  She really cares about her kids. 

There was also the point when she was sticking to the diet that she mentioned she had the kids eating the same food she was.  That is something the people on this show often neglect to do.  Of course, when she fell off the diet she had the kids join her in the pizza stack demolition.  (That was enough pizza boxes for a Dominos ad.)

She also made the same mistake so many people do - salad = healthy.  So often there are articles listing how bad many restaurant and fast food salads actually are.  These come out the same time as the ones on Starbucks beverages.  We might think, "Hey, it's got fried chicken, high calorie dressing, croutons, and nuts!"  Others see "Salad!  It's good for me!  It's diet food!"  (Much like it's not a cup of coffee when it's 16 oz of full fat milk with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.)  Like many foods there is a way to make it healthier and a way to make it a calorie bomb. 

I guess I'd rather see someone struggle with the program and changes rather than the struggle, yelled at, therapist, sudden turn around and cheesy ending that feels unearned.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

but also laid out how her past traumas were affecting her current behavior and situation.  I particularly found the idea of why she eats more at night very interesting. 

Yes. I thought that was pretty insightful. Nice work therapist!

• Love 3

She seemed very pleased at 460 pounds, almost like she was done. She was still scooting around in that wheelchair though.

I don't think she is going to lose much more. I just don't have a good feeling about it. We never saw her cook or make anything healthy to eat. 

• Love 8

At least her house was scrupulously clean. I was so sickened by Nichole's I was afraid to watch the next one.

SO frustrating to see these people who somehow have a half dozen "enablers' around them. I thought Tanisha was a little different, then she "fires' Dr Now and "does her own thing". Which worked out great, didn't it?

I'm sure its a totally formulaic show, but for the most part, the people we see are NOT the 5% who "succeed". And Therapy BEFORE beginning the process would probably help a great deal. Sex abuse seems to be the rampant "causation" of almost everyone's incredible weight gain. Does it also cause the incredible ANGER that we seem to see.

I do NOT "get" the enablers. My hubs wouldn't bring me a Diet Coke after I had major back surgery, if I could get up and move. He never brought me single meal. Where do these guys COME FROM??

On the other hand, watching these shows (my one guilty TV indulgence, I watch next to nothing on TV!!) makes me feel like the 30 lbs I should be losing seems like nothing.

I do feel really sorry for the people who actually uproot and move to Houston. Not to offend anyone who may live there (by choice) but it is the filthiest most awful city I have ever seen. My daughter and her family are stuck there for a few more months until her hubby finishes his residency. She has hated every second of living there. I cannot fathom being 600 lbs and having to exercise in Houston. I break out in a sweat when I get my daughter's mail. And, BTW, Dr. Now's office is not in a "nice" location. SW Houston is pretty low budget. Probably keeps his overhead low--and I always drive by his office on my way to the store.

And I kind of have an issue with him doing bariatric surgeries AND skin removal. That's two entirely different fields of medicine. Just saying.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, MidKid said:

I do NOT "get" the enablers. My hubs wouldn't bring me a Diet Coke after I had major back surgery, if I could get up and move. He never brought me single meal. Where do these guys COME FROM??

I had to laugh out loud at this. My husband went out for a beer after I had cataract surgery.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, MidKid said:

My hubs wouldn't bring me a Diet Coke after I had major back surgery, if I could get up and move. He never brought me single meal. Where do these guys COME FROM??

I'm sure I'm going to regret this -

Why wouldn't your husband take care of you after major back surgery? No drink?  No dinner? Did he refuse, or did you not ask? Heck, my husband brings me coffee every morning, and I'm just grouchy.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, MidKid said:

At least her house was scrupulously clean. I was so sickened by Nichole's I was afraid to watch the next one.

SO frustrating to see these people who somehow have a half dozen "enablers' around them. I thought Tanisha was a little different, then she "fires' Dr Now and "does her own thing". Which worked out great, didn't it?

I'm sure its a totally formulaic show, but for the most part, the people we see are NOT the 5% who "succeed". And Therapy BEFORE beginning the process would probably help a great deal. Sex abuse seems to be the rampant "causation" of almost everyone's incredible weight gain. Does it also cause the incredible ANGER that we seem to see.

On the other hand, watching these shows (my one guilty TV indulgence, I watch next to nothing on TV!!) makes me feel like the 30 lbs I should be losing seems like nothing.

I do feel really sorry for the people who actually uproot and move to Houston. Not to offend anyone who may live there (by choice) but it is the filthiest most awful city I have ever seen. My daughter and her family are stuck there for a few more months until her hubby finishes his residency. She has hated every second of living there. I cannot fathom being 600 lbs and having to exercise in Houston. I break out in a sweat when I get my daughter's mail. And, BTW, Dr. Now's office is not in a "nice" location. SW Houston is pretty low budget. Probably keeps his overhead low--and I always drive by his office on my way to the store.

And I kind of have an issue with him doing bariatric surgeries AND skin removal. That's two entirely different fields of medicine. Just saying.

He's a general surgeon, a vascular surgeon and a bariatric surgeon.    

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

Yes. I thought that was pretty insightful. Nice work therapist!

I usually zone during the therapy sessions because they've already said a lot about their issues before we get to the therapy. What was up with the night eating? 

9 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I had to laugh out loud at this. My husband went out for a beer after I had cataract surgery.

How did your surgery go? I'm having the first one next Thursday. The doc said they had to stop having people just 'dump' folks in the surgery clinic and take off - which is pretty much what my son would do if he could. : )

• Love 2
Just now, aliya said:

I usually zone during the therapy sessions because they've already said a lot about their issues before we get to the therapy. What was up with the night eating? 

Her grandfather abused her at night. She came to subconsciously fear the darkness and seek comfort in food.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Kid said:

Her oldest daughter is on the same path and her youngest daughter is just heartbreaking.  The youngest thinks that she's the fault for all that weight!  How awful and how unfair to that little girl.

To think that that beautiful little girl felt responsible for her mother...I agree, that is beyond unfair!  I just wanted to give the child a hug.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, aliya said:

How did your surgery go? I'm having the first one next Thursday. The doc said they had to stop having people just 'dump' folks in the surgery clinic and take off - which is pretty much what my son would do if he could. : )

It was years ago, but it went great. Just don't rub your eyes for a very long time (like months).

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, aliya said:

Not the OP but I had cataract surgery last month in one eye and tomorrow I'm having LASIK to correct my vision because my eye healed and my vision is now "overcorrected". It's been a PITA but hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow. They gave me just enough IV sedation to be comfortable but awake enough to look around as instructed. I only needed one eye done as my other eye is perfect. I'm 49 so I beat my 78 yo father getting it done. Mom had her eyes done a couple years ago. 

30 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

He's a general surgeon, a vascular surgeon and a bariatric surgeon.    

This is really where you can see the difference in Skin Tight.  The other doc is a plastic surgeon and you can tell.

4 minutes ago, NeitherSparky said:

I laughed harder at that spelling than I probably should have. :P

I don't think I could spell anyone's name in that show without studying it first. Jeez. I was having a hard time keeping track of who was who. She seemed to have kids pop up out of nowhere or maybe they were other relatives. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, SouthernCross said:

This is really where you can see the difference in Skin Tight.  The other doc is a plastic surgeon and you can tell.

I don't think I could spell anyone's name in that show without studying it first. Jeez. I was having a hard time keeping track of who was who. She seemed to have kids pop up out of nowhere or maybe they were other relatives. 

I do remember specifically (because I loved her hair, I admit it) that India(?), the chick with the mohawk, was the new boyfriend's daughter. So she wasn't directly related.

• Love 1

The ex-husband's boundaries were really interesting. He is okay to bring and empty piss buckets, which also serve as bathing buckets; okay with having an immobile wife who can't do much of anything other than be a complete burden but calling him an enabler at the doctor's office was a bridge too far. Good to know. 

• Love 15
19 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

I thought I saw chicken in the salad, which is probably better warmed up. (The chicken... Not the salad) 

And am I the only one who saw her spray her hooha with perfume?? 

Malaysia (Bad enough that name, but I refuse to even try and spell it the other way) is just the sweetest thing. I want to hug her.. Poor baby. It's not her fault her mother is a whale. 

Ewww...perfume?!?  Thank God I missed that part...

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

OMG...now I rewatching Tanisha....there must be something wrong with me...

Me too 55Unicorns! I must be nuts. But, I found it interesting her real name is Tantanisha. It sounds like a refreshing drink you'd get on a cruise.

• Love 6

FYI- Tanisha Supersized is on TV tonight.  Should I waste another two hours of my life?  Of course, all of these episodes represent terrible and very sad human tragedies - but we viewers watch to witness progress and redemption.  Let's face it - we want to see transformation.  Not only in terms of weight loss and the improved physical health of the patient, but as important, her/ his emotional growth and insight.   I just don't see any development in Tanisha - even after two years.  So to me - this is a very unsatisfying storyline. 

BTW - a poster up thread thought she felt a gay vibe from Tanisha's husband.  I felt it too.  I think he's on the down-low and probably cheated with a dude.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MidKid said:

Now now, there are parts of Houston that are very nice!  I've never lived there, but my niece lives there and she loves it.  One time she ran into The Little Couple at a parade and chatted with them for a few minutes.  Every time I've ever been to Houston I've had fun.  The shopping is fabulous.

I'm not sure where Dr. Now's clinic is, but in last night's episode I did notice a Whole Foods across the street, so it can't be that bad.  At least here in sleepy San Antonio, all of the Whole Paycheck stores are in very upscale neighborhoods.

• Love 10

I just noticed that a store called "The Lice Place" is located in the same strip mall as Dr. Now's office. (I'm just watching the "supersized" episode to find interesting tidbits now because Tanisha is a lost cause).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Pers said:

So, Tanisha's been angrily replying on the 600lb discussion room on Facebook (ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME) - she said she's always done the cleaning, claims that the producers forced her to say she's bed-bound. She is also alluding to the fact her husband (now ex) was abusive and a cheater. A number of her friends have popped up too. I don't know, I wish her the best but I hope she keeps going to therapy because there's a lot of anger there.

Can I have the link to this page?  I used to read  comments on a 600 LB Life FB page, but can't seem to find it anymore.  The others that come up in my searches are pretty quiet.  Thanks. 

• Love 1
Just now, CousinOliver said:

Can I have the link to this page?  I used to read  comments on a 600 LB Life FB page, but can't seem to find it anymore.  The others that come up in my searches are pretty quiet.  Thanks. 

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links here, but type in "My 600lb Life viewing and discussion room" - it gets pretty rowdy in there, just to warn ya!

1 minute ago, Pers said:

I just noticed that a store called "The Lice Place" is located in the same strip mall as Dr. Now's office. (I'm just watching the "supersized" episode to find interesting tidbits now because Tanisha is a lost cause).

[PSA] It's a chain that does lice removal, we have one in Austin. And they are wonderful and provide a much-needed service. Yes, we live in a society where you can pay someone to pick your head clean of lice. One visit, no chemicals, all done. The one in our neck of the woods is in a very nice suburban area, so that is not any type of indicator of what kind of neighborhood Dr. N's office may or may not be in. Lice happen everywhere. I prayed it would never happen to my kid. Then it did.  And thanks to that place, it wasn't as bad as I was always afraid it would be.  There's also one in town called The Fairy Licemother which provides a similar type service, but with a much cuter name. /PSA

• Love 5
Just now, dahling said:

[PSA] It's a chain that does lice removal, we have one in Austin. And they are wonderful and provide a much-needed service. Yes, we live in a society where you can pay someone to pick your head clean of lice. One visit, no chemicals, all done. The one in our neck of the woods is in a very nice suburban area, so that is not any type of indicator of what kind of neighborhood Dr. N's office may or may not be in. Lice happen everywhere. I prayed it would never happen to my kid. Then it did.  And thanks to that place, it wasn't as bad as I was always afraid it would be.  There's also one in town called The Fairy Licemother which provides a similar type service, but with a much cuter name. /PSA

Please don't think I was being snarky - I am glad they have services like that, I just found it interesting because I've never seen that! I totally understand - when I was a kid, I got really stubborn lice. I still remember my beleaguered mother trying to treat and comb the stuff through my butt length hair. My family could have used a service like that! :)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dahling said:

[PSA] It's a chain that does lice removal,

Mother of Mercy. I have heard it all now.

Wait - and don't y'all have drive up liquor stores in Texas as well? : ) 

• Love 2

Another family who eats on or around the bed of the obese one like it's their kitchen table.  

Tanisha has nicer, more stylish clothes than some we've seen who look like they're draped in a king sized sheet and barefoot.   Too bad about the red, ill-fitting wig.  

I had never heard of the lice removal business. I hope they pay well. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, operalover said:

And $5 a day for a 12 pack of soda. You can find it cheaper but I doubt these people are coupon bargain shopping when they have a craving. 

Because of your post operalover , I just had to calculate the cost of 365 days worth of 12 packs at five bucks each. That would be another $1,825 annually out of the family budget! Also, remember she said to Dr. Now that sometimes--translation, probably quite frequently--she drinks even more than that. Frankly, I can't even conceive how anyone could drink that much soda every day which contains about ten teaspoons of sugar each.

So, since you mentioned coupons, how about a new TLC crossover show: My 600 Pound Extreme Couponing Life? We could pair up this show's subjects with one of those extreme couponers and he/she could teach them how to at least shave major $$$ off their food costs. So many of them say in the voiceovers that they feel so guilty about not being able to move and help out. Clipping or printing out coupons from bed would be the perfect activity for them IMHO. After all, what kind of excuse could anyone come up with to not do at least that much?

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add additional comments and fix typos.
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Because of your post operalover , I just had to calculate the cost of 365 days worth of 12 packs at five bucks each. That would be another $1,825 annually out of the family budget! Also, remember she said to Dr. Now that sometimes--translation, probably quite frequently--she drinks even more than that. Frankly, I can't even conceive how anyone could drink that much soda every day which contains about ten teaspoons of sugar each.

So, since you mentioned coupons, how about a new TLC crossover show: My 600 Pound Extreme Couponing Life? We could pair up this show's subjects with one of those extreme couponers and he/she could teach them how to at least shave major $$$ off their food costs. So many of them say in the voiceovers that they feel so guilty about not being able to move and help out. Clipping or printing out coupons from bed would be the perfect activity for them IMHO. After all, what kind of excuse could anyone come up with to not do at least that much?

Severe, chronic depression and hopelessness - topped with a conviction of one's powerlessness and inability to affect change in one's life.  [I have my moments when I can relate to that feeling!  When getting the peanut butter jar open is too much effort! Only imagine by a thousandfold how much more difficult to motivate when you're 600+ pounds and your life is nowhere!  ]

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Carrie said:

Severe, chronic depression and hopelessness - topped with a conviction of one's powerlessness and inability to affect change in one's life.  [I have my moments when I can relate to that feeling!  When getting the peanut butter jar open is too much effort! Only imagine by a thousandfold how much more difficult to motivate when you're 600+ pounds and your life is nowhere!  ]

I hear ya Carrie. I agree since I can get that way too, but I'm single and have no kids. But in her case those two beautiful girls should be motivation enough especially after her horrendous history of sexual abuse and rape. In her case though, those experiences have understandably caused her a great deal of depression and anger, and I hope she keeps up with her therapy visits if nothing else.

However, she said herself that no one was there for her and she, at least initially, said she was doing all this for them, so that they would have someone to protect them. Geez, God forbid something happens to her, then where would her kids end up? Is good ol' grandpa still around? I shudder to think. Sorry to sound harsh, but seeing those tears flow down the face of her youngest daughter who even said she wished she could exchange places with her mom and literally take her weight upon herself so her mom could have a better life both saddened and enraged me when it came to her endless excuses. In this case, I'm afraid that all my heart and sympathies all go to those two dear children.

• Love 6

I just couldn't with Tanisha. She says "I want to be there for my kids" as she's stuffing her face with pizza.

Nothing but excuses and backsliding. She was one tough customer. I applaud Dr. Now's patience with her & her family. Especially when Troy mouthed off to him about how bored he was. 

Between the Bozo hair and the white lipstick with the dark lip liner, was she auditioning for Clown College or what? I cracked up at the bit about naming her hairstyles, who does that? 

If she had put as much effort into losing weight as she did with her hair and makeup, she would've been a whole lot thinner a whole lot faster. I don't think she'll be successful in the long run. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I hear ya Carrie. I agree since I can get that way too, but I'm single and have no kids. But in her case those two beautiful girls should be motivation enough especially after her horrendous history of sexual abuse and rape. In her case though, those experiences have understandably caused her a great deal of depression and anger, and I hope she keeps up with her therapy visits if nothing else.

However, she said herself that no one was there for her and she, at least initially, said she was doing all this for them, so that they would have someone to protect them. Geez, God forbid something happens to her, then where would her kids end up? Is good ol' grandpa still around? I shudder to think. Sorry to sound harsh, but seeing those tears flow down the face of her youngest daughter who even said she wished she could exchange places with her mom and literally take her weight upon herself so her mom could have a better life both saddened and enraged me when it came to her endless excuses. In this case, I'm afraid that all my heart and sympathies all go to those two dear children.

I'm not saying she has to go without a man, if that's what she wants, but boy, there appears to be something wrong when one man is replaced so quickly by another. This is how abuse comes into the home. Or at the very least, how women get used for their benefits and housing by ne'er do well men. I didn't think either of these guys were prizes. After the husband left, she could have just waited for awhile, dealt with the weight, and maybe, like Tara, come out on the other side and find a guy who was more of a romance interest and not a caretaker. 

• Love 5

Another thing about Tanisha that seems fishy to me regarding her behavior. She starts out all articulate, insightful, and intelligent but ends up sounding like she was Straight Outta Compton. Her behavior and language towards the TLC producer in front of her youngest daughter, who was visibly upset, was disgraceful. I dunno, there was just something disingenuous and shady about that change in her. I don't want to think this but could it be she was never in it to improve herself and it was just about the money and a little bit of fame?

Did anybody else get that vibe? I hope I'm wrong.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Pers said:

Any Bob's Burger fans? "The Lice Place" sounds like a name for one of the many failed business stores located next door in every intro. For example "Meth I can, methadone clinic" “Wolf in Cheap Clothing, Discount Pet Apparel” or “The Massagonyst, Massages For Men”. All The Lice Place is missing is a further tag name. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I feel you. After I had skin cancer surgery and was on major pain killers my husband who supposedly took off work to help for a couple of days spent it napping on the couch. Thank heavens my best friend came into town and got my girls up and off to school and all!

8 hours ago, MidKid said:

I think a lot of these men are "chubby chasers" and enablers because they WANT the woman to remain heavy. There are quite a few men out there who prefer their women to be 400+ pounds and immobile. We've seen a few of them on this show. 

I have a progressive illness that recently turned terminal. I've fought it for the past several years and my health has gradually taken a downward turn. My husband takes great care of me: he runs me a bubble bath every night, helps me wash my hair, brings me tea and toast in bed, carries me around the house when I am unable to walk, and cooks dinner every night. When we are on the road for my work he goes with me and helps take care of things. Things aren't ALWAYS bad but I do have my "off" days and that's when he takes over like that. (On "good" days I do all the cooking, am active with the kids, etc. and I am always the one that does the housework, except the washing of dishes.) Unlike what we've seen on this show, however, I still maintain some mystery-he doesn't wipe my butt, hose me off on the front porch, or feed me. :-) We still have romance in our lives. I keep the "yucky" parts of the sickness as private as possible. And my job provides the income in the household so he likes to feel necessary-he honestly enjoys taking care of the family and doing things for others. 

Of course, I had to go all the way to England to find him. He's one in a million. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 24
On 3/8/2017 at 8:10 PM, Azubah said:

I swear, watching these shows (and Intervention and some others), you'd get the impression that families that don't molest their kids are the minority. The world is full of pervs.

I agree! It is interesting how some people are wired over others. And sometimes it seems like even expected events trigger people. There was a woman on Hoarders the other day who turned to hoarding because her mother had passed away. Except her mother was 60 when she died and the hoarder was already an adult when her mother passed on. The brain is an interesting thing indeed. Our youngest son died in his sleep six years ago and my mother-in-law died a week after that. My husband and I experienced two big losses a week apart, yet we didn't become addicts, hoarders, or 600 pounds. I don't think it's because we're "better" or anything like that-it HAS to be a brain chemistry thing, coupled with environmental factors. Don't get me wrong, it took us years to regain any sense of "normalcy" again, but we never turned to destructive behaviors. 

Actually, it probably would've been easier if we had. I wish drowning myself in quarter pounders, wine, and stuff COULD have helped. 

• Love 6