Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Tanisha's Story

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

One of the parameters I use for whether I think the person will regain the weight is where they eat, whether they have a family meal at the table (preferable), or eat in bed, standing, or sitting on the sofa. 

I have never seen so many people eat off disposable plates as I have on this show.

• Love 6
On 3/8/2017 at 8:53 PM, TicketToHellPaid said:

Former pill popper and the only one that wasn't molested as a kid.  Every woman in AA I know was molested.

clearly it screws people up for life.

I have been in AA for 19 years and I wasn't molested either. Most of the women in my home group weren't either. This is nothing against people that were but through my experience some people claim to be molested as an excuse to keep drinking. Then, when honesty is required for long term sobriety, it turns out they weren't. Just saying. MOO!!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

I have never seen so many people eat off disposable plates as I have on this show.

Or sleep on beds without sheets. Although this seems to be a reality TV thing in general. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Kellyee said:

One thing I can't figure out is these people allow the most humiliating things to be filmed. Are they told they have to, or does this issue come with a certain amount of obliviousness to how you appear to the world? I can't get over the naked crotch shots every single episode.

I heard an interview with Nicole and she said that the producers told her "We have to film you being bathed" and that she was humiliated but felt that she needed to do what they instructed to get the surgery and continue with the show. She went on to describe that her father had a heated garage on the property so they were able to do the bathing in there when the weather got cold, and that there was a privacy fence surrounding the property.

I'm not surprised that TLC dictates, to some degree, what scenes they orchestrate and how things are filmed. It is, after all, a TV show. I find it sad that these subjects surrender a lot of their dignity and privacy (and that of their families) for either a shot at what they perceive as an "easy fix" or their five minutes of fame.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Meh...she was 600+ lbs. She didnt get there by eating steamed vegetables and running marathons every day.  

Ha! True enough. But they skipped the whole part with Now hospitalizing her and how she lost a big bunch in the hospital.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

I guess people are just wired differently.

I love food. Perhaps because growing up, food was always a big deal in our house. Every family picture has a turkey, someone carving a turkey, or someone proudly holding the winning end of a broken wishbone. Every party has a picture with our heads cut off, but the food table framed beautifully.  We were food centric. When I win the lottery, I'm taking the family on a gastronomic tour. We'll start in Japan and eat our way around the world!

None of these people are foodies.  As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever heard of a 600 pound foodie.  There is quite a difference in savoring lots of unique foods and shoveling tons of microwaved plastic food/drive through burgers/pizza deliveries.

12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Local support groups didn't want me because it was neither a pregnancy loss or an "older" child loss. I didn't seem to fit in anywhere. I eventually found support in online infant loss groups. That was helpful. I ended up writing a book about our experiences with his death. The working title was "Infant Loss: Surviving Other People." The other people were sometimes harder to take than the actual grieving process. Not only did people run for the hills, they said some of the stupidest things. A sampling:

-At least he was just a baby so you didn't have time to get attached. 

- Just think of the money you'll save on diapers!

- I know how you feel. When my transmission went out last spring, I really thought it was the end of the world. 

I am so sorry about your family members. Grief is a funny thing-we're connected by enrollment in a club that none of us want to belong to. 

Holy mother of God.  People are morons.  I wish there was a "hug" option instead of "like" in this forum.  I hate to "like" your posts because I don't want to "like" the crap you've had to deal with.  

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

Holy mother of God.  People are morons.  I wish there was a "hug" option instead of "like" in this forum.  I hate to "like" your posts because I don't want to "like" the crap you've had to deal with.  

It's cool, I get it. :-) 

Sometimes my husband and I watch these shows and feel better about ourselves. There are days when we still don't think we're doing very well but then we'll watch this one, or HOARDERS, and it's kind of like-hey, so far so good! And we'll give each other a high five. 

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Yes, I noticed that change as well. I don't think it was only all about the money, though I'm sure that played a part. She seemed to be putting her best foot forward in the beginning, slapping on the best version of herself.  When things started to get tough, the veneer cracked and we saw her true colors. 

At the beginning I thought what a well-spoken deep thinking person. But she totally disintegrated before our eyes into one big dumb shit.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I heard an interview with Nicole and she said that the producers told her "We have to film you being bathed" and that she was humiliated but felt that she needed to do what they instructed to get the surgery and continue with the show. She went on to describe that her father had a heated garage on the property so they were able to do the bathing in there when the weather got cold, and that there was a privacy fence surrounding the property.

I'm not surprised that TLC dictates, to some degree, what scenes they orchestrate and how things are filmed. It is, after all, a TV show. I find it sad that these subjects surrender a lot of their dignity and privacy (and that of their families) for either a shot at what they perceive as an "easy fix" or their five minutes of fame.

As if this makes being bathed with a garden hose somehow ok.  Most people do not take showers in the garage or backyard...regardless of whether there is a privacy fence of not. 

2 hours ago, Azubah said:

Ha! True enough. But they skipped the whole part with Now hospitalizing her and how she lost a big bunch in the hospital.

That is all well and good but I don't see how that made it fake or scripted to the extent that they could say it was all made up. The fact that she couldn't/wouldn't lose weight until hospitalized should be a clue that you have a problem. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, SouthernCross said:

As if this makes being bathed with a garden hose somehow ok.  Most people do not take showers in the garage or backyard...regardless of whether there is a privacy fence of not. 

Obviously... I mentioned this because upthread there were comments about the exposure of being out on the porch for all to see.  She was Explaining it to the radio host who asked her if it was humiliating. I don't think we need to point out the obvious-that this isn't considered normal behavior.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Obviously... I mentioned this because upthread there were comments about the exposure of being out on the porch for all to see.  She was Explaining it to the radio host who asked her if it was humiliating. I don't think we need to point out the obvious-that this isn't considered normal behavior.

Well I think it's pretty obvious that it would be humiliating but who knows with these people. 

• Love 1
On 3/10/2017 at 7:26 AM, Hockeymom said:

Tanisha had been with Troy for 6 years. They were married fairly quickly, so the kids had him in the house for at least five. When they separated, it was like he had never been there. She just switched him out like changing a light bulb.

The new guy was her best friend of 12 years; they stated that after her divorce he stepped in to help her out and their friendship became something more.

Edited by DeeDee79

Just in watching it seemed like David (the new guy) was more mature & didn't seem like an enabler. He also didn't seem to be living with them. His daughter was quite big also. Yeah her girls didn't seem fazed but they went through whatever regarding that off screen most likely. If she's been friends with David that long they probably knew him pretty well.

My heart just always goes out to everyone in these shows. I was molested when young and I'm just as bad as Tanisha. I got obese by 5th grade, but then in high school discovered bulimia and anorexia, and then cutting and alcohol. So I became a skinny drunk instead. And stayed that way for 30 years. Nobody cared cuz I still looked good. When I finally got sober, guess what? The eating disorders came back! So it's not easy folks. I've been in therapy pretty much my whole life. And I am a very self-aware, introspective, contemplative, high-functioning person. I think your brain gets physically changed when these things happen in youth. It's a tough fight.

As for shame, when you are violated in certain ways, you kind of become accustomed to, or frozen, about being shamed. So, it doesn't shock me that these women let themselves be filmed this way.  

• Love 19

This episode was one for the books. The horrific abuse, the lack of a good male figure in all aspects of her life and the heartbreaking youngest daughter blaming herself. Wow. I'm dying to know how her journey is going. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I think your brain gets physically changed when these things happen in youth. It's a tough fight.

I believe there is research that shows that trauma at an early age affects how the brain develops.  If that is true, it is really depressing because no amount of therapy is going to change brain physiology.  

• Love 4
On 3/11/2017 at 3:13 AM, hoosiermom said:

I have been in AA for 19 years and I wasn't molested either. Most of the women in my home group weren't either. This is nothing against people that were but through my experience some people claim to be molested as an excuse to keep drinking. Then, when honesty is required for long term sobriety, it turns out they weren't. Just saying. MOO!!!

As someone who was molested as a child and battered by my first husband as an adult, I have struggled with food addiction for literally as long as I can remember. I had bulimia that I stopped on my own and I took control of my life. I run 4 or 5 times a week and watch what I eat. Do I slip up now and then? Sure but I get control again and don't use being molested as an excuse to develop into a gigantic self-centered blob! I worked hard to prevent my daughter from being overweight - didn't encourage her to overeat like most of the people on this show do. This show really grates my nerves - sick of hearing the "poor me" self-centered victim mentality from most of these people! Rant over 

• Love 13
On 3/10/2017 at 5:40 PM, mamadrama said:

-At least he was just a baby so you didn't have time to get attached. 

- Just think of the money you'll save on diapers!

- I know how you feel. When my transmission went out last spring, I really thought it was the end of the world. 

I'm so sorry, Mamadrama. My sister lost an infant too and I was shocked at some of the things people said to her, thinking they were helping. Someone told her (much like you) how it was a good thing it was the baby instead of the older one, since they already loved him. Oh and the "You're young, you can have more." Unbelievable.

As for Tanisha, I felt really bad for her and her backstory was tragic. More than some of the others, she seemed to believe the surgery really was a magical procedure that would make her skinny. 

Edited by MillieSparklepants
3 hours ago, TVWatcher12 said:

As someone who was molested as a child and battered by my first husband as an adult, I have struggled with food addiction for literally as long as I can remember. I had bulimia that I stopped on my own and I took control of my life. I run 4 or 5 times a week and watch what I eat. Do I slip up now and then? Sure but I get control again and don't use being molested as an excuse to develop into a gigantic self-centered blob! I worked hard to prevent my daughter from being overweight - didn't encourage her to overeat like most of the people on this show do. This show really grates my nerves - sick of hearing the "poor me" self-centered victim mentality from most of these people! Rant over 

May I say you are someone to be admired. You must be a very proud and strong person and a role model to those around you. I wish there were more of "you" in the world. Thank you.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, TVWatcher12 said:

It's the difference between being a survivor and a victim! You view it, I suspect, as being a survivor.   I  consider myself a survivor.  What we see on the show, for the most part, are  people who consider themselves victims. As long as you consider yourself a victim, everything is everyone else's fault.  When you consider yourself a survivor, you take responsibility for repairing the damage that was done when you are unable to stop it or protect yourself. When you were indeed a victim. 

There have been some, over the seasons, that have emerged as  changing their mindset to being a survivor rather than a victim and I admire them greatly.  Those are the ones that will be successful long-term.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

May I say you are someone to be admired. You must be a very proud and strong person and a role model to those around you. I wish there were more of "you" in the world. Thank you.

Thanks - I don't see myself that way. This show encourages so much wallowing in self-pity. At what point do you think "gee I have really let myself go?" and stop your own self-destructive behaviors? Many of these people expect family to continue to help them when they won't help themselves! Astounding!

1 hour ago, Kid said:

It's the difference between being a survivor and a victim! You view it, I suspect, as being a survivor.   I  consider myself a survivor.  What we see we on the show, for the most part, are  people who consider themselves victims. As long as you consider yourself a victim, everything is everyone else's fault.  When you consider yourself a survivor, you take responsibility for repairing the damage that was done when you are unable to stop at or protect yourself. When you were indeed a victim. 

There have been some, over the seasons, that have emerged as  changing their mindset to being a survivor rather than a victim and I admire them greatly.  Those are the ones that will be successful long-term.

What a great way of looking at it. Yes - I agree.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TVWatcher12 said:

At what point do you think "gee I have really let myself go?" and stop your own self-destructive behaviors? Many of these people expect family to continue to help them when they won't help themselves! Astounding!

And really, the only way they are even able to continue these behaviors is because family continues to help.

Can you imagine how quickly Penny would haul herself out of bed if she had to make her own breakfast?

I think Tanisha would be able to make it a few steps further to the bathroom if she had to clean her own pee.

I know I sound like an armchair psychologist. But, it appears many of these women exert complete control of the household with their "disability". Everyone in the house is hostage. Kids, husband, parents, they all revolve around the person slowly committing suicide. Maybe it's just anger. "You didn't take care of me when I needed it, so I'll make you take care of me now."

Nicole said something I found interesting. She said that when she was a child, she felt invisible to her parents. I guess she's making sure they see her now!

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Gasmenagerie said:

This episode was one for the books. The horrific abuse, the lack of a good male figure in all aspects of her life and the heartbreaking youngest daughter blaming herself. Wow. I'm dying to know how her journey is going. 

Doubt she has lost any more and I predict she fell right back into her old ways. You'd think after seeing what she did to her kids (the oldest one is already obese!) she'd stop wallowing and set a good example! She made excuses for 18 months before she lost anything really...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

I know I sound like an armchair psychologist. But, it appears many of these women exert complete control of the household with their "disability". Everyone in the house is hostage. Kids, husband, parents, they all revolve around the person slowly committing suicide. Maybe it's just anger. "You didn't take care of me when I needed it, so I'll make you take care of me now."

My favorite quote from my anonymous programs is, "Addict don't have families,  they have hostages. "   

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Kid said:

My favorite quote from my anonymous programs is, "Addict don't have families,  they have hostages. "   

Bingo.

It's astounding to me how these people treat the families surrounding them.  They all look like they are one step from losing it themselves.  Was it Marla that used to call her kids into the room to go and get her fast food she ordered?  And her one son said "No".  The look she got on her face was terrifying.  

My dad is diabetic and in failing health and was on a steady diet of fast food and mountains of sugar.  My brother and I finally had enough of his "I need to have SOME vices." bullshit and now he lives with me and will be moving back in with my brother in a few weeks.  I don't buy shitty food and there's nothing sugary or junk foody in my house.  He can't drive anymore.  He hates it.  He cops an attitude with me when I won't give him a popsicle.  I don't give a shit.  I'm trying to keep you alive.  

Erica had family members in her life that didn't take her bullshit and they were seen as assholes by some.  IMO, they were the type of family members most of these people need.  Go ahead and kill yourself if you want, but I'm not going to participate in it or stand around and watch it.  You are an adult...deal with your crap.

Tanisha would have benefited from someone telling her to sit down and shutup.  The way she acted when the producers showed up was ridiculous.  You kiddin me lady?  We're paying you for this and giving you life saving surgery FOR FUCKING FREE.  Get your ass up out of the bed, step and fetch, or you're not only not getting surgery but no more paycheck either.  

• Love 7

This might sound horrible but I really don't mean to pick on the kid - but one might think they switched up the child actors. Her younger daughter gained so much weight within a year! I didn't even think she looked like the same kid. 

And I totally missed how this ended..... I know she got surgery but everything after that is a blur to me.

• Love 1

I totally agree with not enabling & it probably would motivate some to get up at least, but it's tougher for the kids. They really have it bad as they feel they have to keep mom/dad happy, & even if they don't want to give their parent crappy food they have to put up with verbal (& possibly emotional) abuse if they don't. They don't realize they are 'enabling' & depending on the age it's not up to them to 'play adult' & defy the parent's wishes.

Then, as the parent gets worse & possibly even dies from their addiction the kid(s) could end up living with guilt from 'helping' them. It's horrible for any kiddo living with addicted parents, but this seems even worse since they really are pushed into helping, quite literally, feed the addict/parent - what a recipe for disaster for them.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, Brooklynista said:

Can she not see her daughters are headed down the same path to obesity??

Nothing like a healthy salad loaded with half a bottle of creamy dressing. I guess it's better than a chalupa.

It just seems that when someone is struggling and they claim they are eating right, but not losing, that's the time where the patient goes into the Nutritionist office and is taught by handling fake food that's in regular potion sizes, along with a person to explain how things like a tablespoon is different from one-half cup of dressing.  Of course, maybe it was fat free dressing.  I suppose the calories in that are much lower.  I just feel that handing someone papers to read about their diet is just not really sufficient for a super morbidly obese patient, especially, when it entails such a drastic decrease in their normal eating.  There has to be a better way to handle this, imo.  It looks very 80's to me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just feel that handing someone papers to read about their diet is just not really sufficient for a super morbidly obese patient, especially, when it entails such a drastic decrease in their normal eating.  There has to be a better way to handle this, imo.  It looks very 80's to me.

I agree. When it got to the point that Dr. Now finally referred Tanisha to a therapist, I found myself thinking, what if this had happened a year (or more) earlier? I almost seems that with these folks they need to be given his papers, told their first monthly goal, and then at the same time, be set up with a therapist.

There is one reason I can imagine that this doesn't happen- I'm not sure what health insurance these folks have. If they are on Medicaid, then it may be difficult to find a therapist who accepts it. I know that where I live, adults on Medicaid can get mental health counseling (and there are plenty of agencies that provide it), but I don't know if it is different in Texas.

• Love 2

I'm always surprised at how little Dr. Now actually makes these people do before giving them surgery. My good friend had a gastric sleeve done about 2yrs ago now, and she told me she was required to see a therapist regularly, a nutritionist for actual nutrition counseling (multiple sessions), and follow a strict diet (including a liquids only diet right before) before going in for her surgery. These people on the show are getting off easy. It blows my mind how little the participants on the show are willing to do to save their own asses.

• Love 4

What the doctor requires them to do is to lose a lot of weight. True, that if they go on very low calorie diet for a short time, they will drop the weight, but, honestly, how does that translate into someone who really changes their eating lifestyle.  Dr. Now, just sees that they lost 30-50 pounds and thinks they have demonstrated the ability to change their eating habits.  It's so bizarre and unrealistic to me.  But, maybe that's why patients go to him that don't go to other doctors.  I thought it was just their large size that brought them to his facility.  

• Love 1

I really hope more counseling is involved than the single session we are shown that is often late in the game. If someone has been using food as a coping mechanism for decades, especially if they are self-medicating a history of abuse or trauma, then telling them to eat a 1200 calorie diet is essentially ripping their coping mechanism away from them and they are going to need help with that.  

One thing I learned being around trauma survivors is that it's just not fair to judge another person's resilliency. Some people seem to bounce out of the most horrific situations and go on to happy, productive lives, and some, no matter how hard they try, are just too damaged and broken. People are different and respond to things differently. Just in my own family, the difference between the way my siblings came out is remarkable.   

• Love 8
On 3/13/2017 at 5:41 PM, TVbitch said:

One thing I learned being around trauma survivors is that it's just not fair to judge another person's resilliency. Some people seem to bounce out of the most horrific situations and go on to happy, productive lives, and some, no matter how hard they try, are just too damaged and broken. People are different and respond to things differently. Just in my own family, the difference between the way my siblings came out is remarkable.   

I agree and that is such a kind yet truthful way of putting it.

I just rewatched Tanisha's story. Apparently, because I multitask all the time, I missed some important parts. Like actually watching the meatload part. But the part that made me rethink the parts of her that I had already judged was when she finally settled into Dr. Now's way of helping her. She said she was ready because she realized that Dr. Now just "wanted what was best for her." That says it all right there. No one she had sadly not had anyone who wanted the best for her so she just hid that pain (or was unaware of it) for all that time. I wish her well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ethalfrida said:

I just rewatched Tanisha's story. Apparently, because I multitask all the time, I missed some important parts. Like actually watching the meatload part.

Did Tanisha have a meatloaf part?  I remember Nicole making and eating that disgusting looking meatloaf, the size of which would have provided at least 3 meals for me, if not more.  And having mac and cheese and mashed potatoes on the side.  But I'm forgetting Tanisha making/eating meatloaf, so I'm right there with you.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

Did Tanisha have a meatloaf part?  I remember Nicole making and eating that disgusting looking meatloaf, the size of which would have provided at least 3 meals for me, if not more.  And having mac and cheese and mashed potatoes on the side.  But I'm forgetting Tanisha making/eating meatloaf, so I'm right there with you.

You are right. It is was Nicole but I was in haste trying to make my point about missing parts and mixed them up. But it was Tanisha who made the statement about someone wanting the best for her. Thanks.

I feel like a broken record here, but the same shit happens every week so I really have no choice.

Just send the person to therapy right away and save:

a) 90 minutes of our lives

b) things like potentially hazardous situations for producers

c) people wasting 20 months, at which time they could damn near reach their goal weight.

Obviously we have a person with a significant history of sexual abuse and the recent loss of a family member and then she's going through a divorce.  OH, while simultaneously giving up her oldest and most effective (if not only) coping mechanism.  

She ate because that's how she knew how to stop feeling like shit.  Not because she likes fried chicken, not out of gluttony, not because she doesn't love her kids.  Because that is how she deals with feelings, and until someone comes along and gives her some other means of dealing with them, she will continue to eat and that will be how she gets trough tough times.

Once she was in therapy, something clicked and she was finally able to lose weight. 

• Love 5
On 3/8/2017 at 8:51 PM, operalover said:

Wait, how did she get a boyfriend at 600 pounds and I can't get one?

Lower your standards enough, and they'll be lining up, especially if they can move in with you and live rent-free. ;) Bonus: if you have a couple of cute daughters (and are in no position to supervise them), a *special* kind of low-life will show you all kinds of love.

Any decent woman would have run screaming from those 2 so-called "men".

• Love 5
On 3/9/2017 at 8:30 PM, Pers said:

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links here, but type in "My 600lb Life viewing and discussion room" - it gets pretty rowdy in there, just to warn ya!

It's a horrible group.  Every couple of minutes someone posts a thing about "how can you people say such things?" trying to shame us from discussing the show.

Then someone says, "hey I'm trying to lose weight and y'all are hurting my feelings" and then somebody else says, "it's a discussion group not support."

Most of the posters use horrible grammar and say "I seen that".

Oh and Penny is a member, under a fake name and jumps in to defend Penny when things get rough but she never acknowledges that it's her.  Except it is.

A guy came in selling miracle diet pills from an MLM program and the mod wouldn't remove it. 

• Love 2
On 3/10/2017 at 2:44 PM, Motor City said:

Yes, I am in and from Detroit

Me too!

On 3/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, Azubah said:

I know we're not supposed to talk about the Facebook drama here on this site, but you might want to duck over there and check in. Tanisha and several of her friends are saying that this episode was almost entirely scripted fiction. It didn't really go down the way the show portrayed it.

She's lying.  She's embarrassed.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:05 PM, Pers said:

I hope her yellow washing bucket isn't the same one as her yellow pee bucket. 

The whole reason I joined this site just now is because I had to express this very thing to someone...anyone...but it is the same! He rinses it in the sink (hopefully soap was used off camera) and she proceeds to wash herself from the pee bucket!!!

There has been some glossing over of bed pan and mattress pad action on other episodes; I could have used some of that gloss here!

• Love 1

@Trees thank you for the accurate blow-by-blow of that Facebook group.  I haven't been over there in a while because I was so behind in reading these comments.  You would think people would be more careful than to post the crap they do over there because, well, Facebook is less anonymous, but they post some really nasty comments there - sometimes its entertaining though.  

Funny though, I pretty much forgot about Tanisha...and her story was pretty bad.  But they just got worse and worse this season!  I can't remember for sure, she did get the weight loss surgery at the very end, right?

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

What the doctor requires them to do is to lose a lot of weight. True, that if they go on very low calorie diet for a short time, they will drop the weight, but, honestly, how does that translate into someone who really changes their eating lifestyle.

On some of them, he's said that's to reduce fat around the heart, and wherever he's going to cut.  Don't know about Tanisha, but I know he's said that to some.
(I'm rewatching Tanisha, and came her to refresh my memory, and see if I wanted to finish it.)
OK, I did finish, and she seemed to be doing better at the end, but so much early time wasted, that she didn't get to the loose skin/skin surgery stage.
One thing that bugs me in many of these episodes, is that with stress or problems, they "don't have the time to stick to the diet."
You may not have time to peel a lot of vegies or such, but it doesn't take time to not eat chips and pizza and junk.
And Dr. Now needs a sign over the scale--Never use Salad Dressing.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1
On 10/23/2017 at 9:22 PM, auntjess said:

On some of them, he's said that's to reduce fat around the heart, and wherever he's going to cut.  Don't know about Tanisha, but I know he's said that to some.
(I'm rewatching Tanisha, and came her to refresh my memory, and see if I wanted to finish it.)
OK, I did finish, and she seemed to be doing better at the end, but so much early time wasted, that she didn't get to the loose skin/skin surgery stage.
One thing that bugs me in many of these episodes, is that with stress or problems, they "don't have the time to stick to the diet."
You may not have time to peel a lot of vegies or such, but it doesn't take time to not eat chips and pizza and junk.
And Dr. Now needs a sign over the scale--Never use Salad Dressing.

Good points.  I do suspect that the excuse they use of not having enough time to focus on their eating or that they are too stressed, is just their way of fighting what they don't really want to do.  I believe that your mind really has to be in the right place to focus on your nutrition.  If your mind isn't ready, I don't think it will work out long term .  I'm basing this on my own experience and what I have observed in others.  When I got really focused, I really am never too tired to put my food first.  Even if I'm tired and it's late, I put in the effort to prepare my veggies,  healthy carb and a lean protein.  But, I'm not a fast food fan, either.   I really don't think some people understand that salad dressing can have many more calories than their entire dish, especially, when you use half the bottle.  lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 3/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, fliptopbox said:

I'm always surprised at how little Dr. Now actually makes these people do before giving them surgery. My good friend had a gastric sleeve done about 2yrs ago now, and she told me she was required to see a therapist regularly, a nutritionist for actual nutrition counseling (multiple sessions), and follow a strict diet (including a liquids only diet right before) before going in for her surgery. These people on the show are getting off easy. It blows my mind how little the participants on the show are willing to do to save their own asses.

They go through a lot. I don't think we see everything like nutritionists visits, physiologist visits or others. His part is really to see if they're willing to do anything at all to get better and you can see most don't.