Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Tanisha's Story

• Start Topic

Eh, I'd be pretty excited about losing 11 lbs in a month.  I'd be as excited as Tanisha was.  

Since she was so very excited in missing the goal by 19 lbs, I'm guessing that she didn't follow the diet so she really did think of the weight loss as a miracle of sorts.  

It was fried chicken on the salad, with what I considered to be a normal amount of dressing.  The fried chicken would not have been on the diet, but that was only half the salad.  A Chick-fil-A Cobb salad is 430 calories, plus dressing.  Half of that with as a dressed salad is ~ 400 cals, which I think is pretty reasonable for one meal of three on a 1200/day diet.  Although it's not Now's diet (which I think has more to do with proving they can put protein first and quick weight loss to shrink liver), this is not what is making her fat/not lose weight.  Just like it was not Nicole's half cob of corn that's harming her.

I assume that these are their best efforts, their efforts for the camera. If this is what she's doing for the camera, it's probably a whole salad with a side sandwich as cutting back (ie, no fries or shake...which is how she lost 11 lbs., but not 30).

• Love 3

The pee pan was the same as the bed bath pan.

Where do they get money? All they did was buy food and sit and eat, all of them.  

And that hair, that  Brillo pad Orange mess was making me sick.

She will go right back to eating 6 pizzas for dinner.

• Love 4

Another week of wow.  She drops her husband and has another man waiting on deck.  The new guy looks pretty fit so why is she struggling so much.

About microwaving the salad, I don't like ice cold salads, so I'm sure they nuke it just enough to make it more like room temp AND to heat the meat.

After last week's whinefest, her "struggles" felt more tame and like they had to craft a storyline for her.  

As annoying as she was, there is part of me that empathizes with her anger.  Armchair psychiatrist warning, I clearly have no basis in facts or training to comment but since this is the internet, I will of course.  She had a lot of sexual trauma while still very young and so her interaction with adult males has been pretty terrifying.  She lost some weight and was really proud of herself, and then Dr. Now scolded her and burst her bubble.  I don't blame Dr. Now, it's not his issue it's hers.  She came back contrite and apologetic and again, he challenged her.  Maybe she felt misled and that made her angry, which led her right back to food.  Being molested at 9 years old by your grandfather has to fuck you up royally.

• Love 13

I, too, wondered if the washing pan was the same as the pee pan in the beginning.  But I was impressed by the way she could squat down and pee/poop in that pan, and then stand up again.  She has to be fairly spry in order to do that, right?  So why couldn't she walk the 10 feet to the bathroom?  Was it more a problem with not fitting through the bathroom door, ala the Jugalette? 

I was also so hopeful for a good turn out for Tanisha in the beginning, but man, that hope died a hard death fairly quickly.  The attitude!  The anger!  The self-delusion!  We watch her chow down on fried chicken and milk shakes and large sodas, and then she has the nerve to be filmed at Dr. Now's office and tell him she stuck to the diet?  Does she not realize that we're all going to see what she really does?  Or that Dr. Now can view the footage at any time after it's shot?

So we're 2 years in on her, and she still hasn't lost a significant amount of weight.  For most of the others, we see them talking about skin surgery at the end of 2 years.  Tanisha is no where near needing skin surgery yet.  And I rather doubt she ever will be.

Malaysia was so cute and smart.  She deserves better.  As does her older sister, who I can't even remember the name of, poor thing.  And I wonder if grampa also molested Tanisha's mother when she was young, causing her to start on HER path to self-destruction via drugs and food?  Which is a horrifying thought, given that Tanisha was sent to live with a man who she knew was a pervert, if that was true.  Gah.

• Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

The pee pan was the same as the bed bath pan.

Where do they get money? All they did was buy food and sit and eat, all of them.  

And that hair, that  Brillo pad Orange mess was making me sick.

She will go right back to eating 6 pizzas for dinner.

Well yes, Yes, YES to all of this TicketToHellPaid, especially the money part. I don't know what fast food generally costs where any of you live but here in the metropolitan DC area you will pay a minimum of about $7.00-$8.00 for a supersized McDonald's meal here. And please no one tell me about the dollar menu since none of these folks are eating from that. So, let's say, if they were living in this area and bought the equivalent of two of these meals a day just for themselves (and I totally believe some of them are spending much more than that on take out and delivery) that would come to $5,475 per year just for a portion of what they eat per day. That's not counting all of the sodas, snack chips, candy bars, ice cream, super processed food and additional fast food they feed themselves and their families daily. I can't speak for anyone else but that's a helluva lot of $$$ out of my annual income and would be absolutely unsustainable for me. Therefore, most of these people who are already on the edge financially are literally eating their families out of house and home.

For those who keep saying "I'm doing this for my children" but don't seem willing to put in the work required of them, I wish TLC or Dr. Now would lay out how much of a financial burden they are to their families. How about "Gee Tanisha/Nicole/Marla and others you could be putting away tens of thousands of dollars towards your kids' college funds if you would do what Dr. Now is telling you to do."

But, hey, that's not part of the TLC formula so never mind.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
For clarifications.
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Besides all of the truly sad and frustrating aspects of her story, I really wanted to shout at the screen "please stop chasing men and just do YOU for a while!" Especially so after her horrendous past experiences of sexual abuse and rape, I mean both her grandfather and one of her mom's boyfriends then the rape by a strange man. If it was me, I would be so paranoid about having any man around my beautiful girls. My thinking would be "are all these guys really that into super morbidly obese women or could they just be trying to get next to my daughters?"

Anybody else feel this way?

Through the entire episode, I wondered if the eldest daughter was sexually abused. That girl is probably very near being morbidly obese, and most people who are morbidly obese are victims of childhood sexual abuse.   And I agree with you, if I had been sexually abused by my mother's boyfriend I'd be very leery of my daughters being around any man, even their own father. And that makes sense here as well because she was also sexually abused by her grandfather who was a family member and not just her mother's boyfriends.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Malaysia was so cute and smart.  She deserves better.  As does her older sister, who I can't even remember the name of, poor thing.  And I wonder if grampa also molested Tanisha's mother when she was young, causing her to start on HER path to self-destruction via drugs and food?  Which is a horrifying thought, given that Tanisha was sent to live with a man who she knew was a pervert, if that was true.  Gah.

Her mother shows all the signs of it, doesn't she,  alcoholism and obesity.  And, let's face it, a man who has molested his granddaughter has probably molested his daughter.

53 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Her mother shows all the signs of it, doesn't she,  alcoholism and obesity.  And, let's face it, a man who has molested his granddaughter has probably molested his daughter.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, SouthernCross said:

I have to say...I'm really not a fan of Skin Tight.  

We have nothing invested in these people.  The back story is minimal to non-existent.  I was fat, now I'm not and have hanging skin.  Remove skin.  Wear cute dress.  The end.  Boring.

Why is it tacked on to the end of 600lb life anyway?  My DVR records it all as one show.

Because they get to count you in the final DVR numbers as having watched both shows.  I accidently set my DVR to record Skin Tight which comes on the following night.  But now it's repeats (for me) because I've already seen it as part of the My 600 lb life package.

But I do want to talk about the one girl on Skin Tight that went back to Dr Now for surgery.  In the beginning she looked really unhealthy although she was thin.  Turns out she a problem with her lapband being too tight and it restricted her nutrients.  Dr Now fixed it plus did her tummy tuck.  BUT, she gained 46 lbs by the time she went back and basically destroyed her tummy tuck in the process.  By the end, they tried to hide it but it looked as if she was gaining weight at a fairly quick clip because she looked even bigger during her reveal. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Kid said:

Through the entire episode, I wondered if the eldest daughter was sexually abused. That girl is probably very near being morbidly obese, and most people who are morbidly obese are victims of childhood sexual abuse.   And I agree with you, if I had been sexually abused by my mother's boyfriend I'd be very leery of my daughters being around any man, even their own father. And that makes sense here as well because she was also sexually abused by her grandfather who was a family member and not just her mother's boyfriends.

Victims of extreme child abuse don't learn or understand boundaries.  Just because they become adults, doesn't mean they automatically become rational and self-aware and are able to protect themselves or vulnerable others - like their children.  

• Love 8

This started out so well!

Cute apartment. Nice clean space. Super nice kids. Attentive husband. Heroine who dressed well and took pride in her appearance. She made sense and said all the right things.

But then...

What a Bipolar episode. One minute I'm rooting for Tanisha, and the next it's what is she doing?

I knew the husband was over it when she "threw him under the bus" in Dr. Now's office. Any guy who empties the bed pan every morning is going above and beyond. I was glad he called her on it and moved on. So many of these guys are just browbeaten yes men.

Looks like she had a replacement waiting in the wings.

And I always question the money. How is Tanisha a "full time mom"? How much parenting is done in bed? Who pays the bills? Who works? They seemed fine after hubby left, so I guess he wasn't the breadwinner.

The house was nice. They were all well fed. She had plenty of clothes, perfume, and hair dye.  Even with disability, how does this happen? Maybe child support for the kids?

• Love 19

This was a hard one to sit through because I'm so pessimistic about her future. I wanted to feel sympathy for Tanisha as the victim of rape and sexual abuse, but her attitude sucked worse than a discount Hoover. And I'm reluctant to blame her past abuse as the reason that she's in this situation. Yes, sexual abuse does seem to be a recurring theme with a number of the people we see on this show, but not all. And most victims don't eat themselves to the point of immobility. It's a factor, yes, but not the overriding one.

Her husband was a saint for putting up with her as long as he did, because if she was this bad when cameras were on her I can only imagine what she must have been like behind closed doors. And count me in as one who can't understand why women who are three times my size have men and I've been single forever. 

I'm glad at least that the kids have a clean house to live in (after last week, it's a nice change) but my guess is that her husband and her older daughter are primarily responsible for that. Now it's all going to fall on her kids to continue caring for mom because she can't get her issues under control long enough to get the help that she desperately needs. I get that we need to see the failures as much as the success stories, but damn... for someone on her own weight loss journey, it's depressing to watch.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I'm glad at least that the kids have a clean house to live in (after last week, it's a nice change) but my guess is that her husband and her older daughter are primarily responsible for that. Now it's all going to fall on her kids to continue caring for mom

I thought that as well. Tanisha didn't seem the type to scrub floors, so I guess the kids did all the chores. Nice to see her cleaning the bathroom at the end, though.

It looked like the older daughter was driving, so my guess is that she may make a break for it soon.

So, Tanisha's been angrily replying on the 600lb discussion room on Facebook (ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME) - she said she's always done the cleaning, claims that the producers forced her to say she's bed-bound. She is also alluding to the fact her husband (now ex) was abusive and a cheater. A number of her friends have popped up too. I don't know, I wish her the best but I hope she keeps going to therapy because there's a lot of anger there.

• Love 7

Yep, that salad had more fat than a burger. About 40 grams of fat from chix and dressing.

I could be wrong, but I think the answer to the question of where does she get these men is........ disability checks.

I also got a gay vibe from the first guy.

Then there are always the fat fetish men too.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Pers said:

(ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME)

And no punctuation whatsoever. Maybe instead of the lip hombre tutorials on YT, she should be looking into some grammar videos. 

24 minutes ago, Pers said:

She is also alluding to the fact her husband (now ex) was abusive and a cheater.

I hope he was cheating with someone whose poo/pee bucket he didn't have to clean. 

25 minutes ago, Pers said:

So, Tanisha's been angrily replying on the 600lb discussion room on Facebook (ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME) - she said she's always done the cleaning, claims that the producers forced her to say she's bed-bound. She is also alluding to the fact her husband (now ex) was abusive and a cheater. A number of her friends have popped up too. I don't know, I wish her the best but I hope she keeps going to therapy because there's a lot of anger there.

Wow, just wow Pers! Yeah, she had/has a lot of anger understandably so given her horrible background. But I hope someday she realizes that her way of coping with that anger is literally killing her and trashing her children's future. I truly hope she gets it and gets the professional help she needs, and soon.

Heh heh, kinda makes me glad that I'm one of the last four or five people on planet Earth who doesn't have a Facebook account.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Pretty5Vacant said:

Dr Now should of said, "Bye Tanisha" after she basically said screw the program

I come from the imdb boards and I come in peace :) frequent reader here though

Welcome! I think you'll like it here. These boards are much easier to read (far less clicking) and they're moderated just enough to keep out the trolls. Enjoy!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Wow, just wow Pers! Yeah, she had/has a lot of anger understandably so given her horrible background. But I hope someday she realizes that her way of coping with that anger is literally killing her and trashing her children's future. I truly hope she gets it and gets the professional help she needs, and soon.

Heh heh, kinda makes me glad that I'm one of the last four or five people on planet Earth who doesn't have a Facebook account.

Nice to meet you 4th;. I'm the 5th.  Wonder if we'll meet first, second and third? ?

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Pers said:

she said she's always done the cleaning, claims that the producers forced her to say she's bed-bound.

Well, she was in camped out in bed the day the producer stopped by unannounced. How much cleaning was she doing if she couldn't even make it to the bathroom in the morning?

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I could be wrong, but I think the answer to the question of where does she get these men is........ disability checks.

I also got a gay vibe from the first guy.

Then there are always the fat fetish men too.

And the ones who know she's got two teenage daughters in the house, which is what a lot of us here are worried about.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Pers said:

she said she's always done the cleaning, claims that the producers forced her to say she's bed-bound.

Yes, because she's so scrupulously truthful.

• Love 6
(edited)
14 minutes ago, okerry said:

And the ones who know she's got two teenage daughters in the house, which is what a lot of us here are worried about.

Oh yeah okerry, I could just imagine the content of one of her many Facebook posts trolling for yet another man: "Hi, I'm a fun, fabulous, independent single mom of two beautiful daughters"***posts their pictures***"Aren't they gorgeous!?" Of course, they chuckle/drool, "Why yes, yes they are." Please divert some of that money you spend on hair dye and buy a clue!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add additional comment.
  • Love 3

I know I'm always comparing this show to Intervention, but here's another difference. Most of the subjects on Intervention love the producers. The producers seem to really take an interest and care about them. I know I've seen several former addicts mention it. The producer on this episode seemed pretty unable to deal with Tanisha, and certainly didn't give any evidence that she cared about her. I wonder if they might have a better show if the producers were a little more gentle and attentive. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Azubah said:

I know I'm always comparing this show to Intervention, but here's another difference. Most of the subjects on Intervention love the producers. The producers seem to really take an interest and care about them. I know I've seen several former addicts mention it. The producer on this episode seemed pretty unable to deal with Tanisha, and certainly didn't give any evidence that she cared about her. I wonder if they might have a better show if the producers were a little more gentle and attentive. 

You're not the only one who compares the two shows. I think there is a different dynamic with Intervention because they have to very quickly build up trust with the addicts, who most of the time, don't realize there is a possible reward at the end of filming.  The filming for Intervention is only for a few days.  It's get the film and meet Candy or Jeff and then it is over. 

With the 600l lb folks, they are being filmed because of the hope/expectation of WLS.  The filming is very bare bones and what we see is what happens during that half day.  The year long "journey" quite possibly has less footage shot of the patients than one day of the people on Intervention.  I've always had the feeling that they film quite a few different people at each clinic visit on the same day and film Dr. Nowzardan in the hallway at different time.

On another note from another post, I don't do Facebook either.  My entire social media life is posting banal comments on a few entertainment forums and a few college sports forums.  I'm very happy with where I am at!

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Azubah said:

The producer on this episode seemed pretty unable to deal with Tanisha, and certainly didn't give any evidence that she cared about her. I wonder if they might have a better show if the producers were a little more gentle and attentive. 

The producer was probably frustrated that Tanisha ghosted. She signed a contract and agreed to certain terms. They invested time, money and energy telling her story.  Once you cash the check, you can't just opt out.

It's pretty childish to not even answer the phone. The producers shouldn't have to chase to people around.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, CousinOliver said:

Eh, I'd be pretty excited about losing 11 lbs in a month.  I'd be as excited as Tanisha was.  

Since she was so very excited in missing the goal by 19 lbs, I'm guessing that she didn't follow the diet so she really did think of the weight loss as a miracle of sorts.  

I

Hi cousin Oliver I remember you from sucks. An 150 pound person who loses 11 pounds is a big deal. A 600 pound person can lose 11 pounds just going to the restroom. Their weight varies that much day to day- they have much more water weight- just because they are so big, they carry more water in the tissues too because they have more fat tissue.  Dr Na knows that if a 600 pound person follows his plan they will actually lose 40 pounds in that month. These cheaters get real excited about the 11 pounds because they ate awful and cut back for 3 days before the appt and prayed they would show a loss. Dr Na knows they were fucking around. Now if you are I lost 11 pounds thats like 5% or more of our weight where for her is .0005% You can always tell when they say "I don't know what the scale is going to show, I tried my best" that they were fucking around.  That one woman whose niece was preparing all the food and doling it out, she lost almost 50 pounds the first month.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 8

According to my close captioning, her daughters were Malaysia and Jer'Monika (rhymes with "harmonica"?) but I missed who was India with the mohawk and the baby? Sister? Friend? Occasional Pee Pan emptier? All of the above? 

8 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I missed who was India with the mohawk and the baby? Sister? Friend? Occasional Pee Pan emptier? All of the above? 

I think they were cousins. 

13 minutes ago, operalover said:

just because they are so big, they carry more water in the tissues too because they have more fat tissue.

Actually muscle retains water, not fat, because fat is a "dry tissue." Although someone that big has more muscle generally than a typical woman, just because they HAVE to or they wouldn't be able to move that much weight around. You are 100% right that they can lose 11 lb extremely easily if they just put in any sort of effort for even one week. Their bodies require so many calories just to maintain that size that even "cutting back" to 2000 a day would burn a lot of fat.

• Love 3

I'm pretty late to the party but I wanted to comment on this episode. Dr. Now did things very differently with Tanisha than he usually does. He usually gives them the first chance to try on their own and if they fail then he immediately orders they see a therapist to address their issues and then they either do it right, or they get yelled at more but to me it feels like Tanisha was used for more of an "entertainment" than a person who needs helped by TLC... --- Showing up at her house and knocking and calling until someone answered the door was pretty disturbing. I was kind of hoping she would of called the cops on the producers.

• Love 2

Of course we don't know the specifics, but she most likely signed something stating it was okay to film her and that she would be paid because she was being filmed. By quitting and not opening the door or answering phone calls she wasn't abiding by her contract (whatever it said in it). That's how it goes with being on reality TV, tough noogies. She agreed to it, she needs to participate in the show.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, cpcathy said:

Of course we don't know the specifics, but she most likely signed something stating it was okay to film her and that she would be paid because she was being filmed. By quitting and not opening the door or answering phone calls she wasn't abiding by her contract (whatever it said in it). That's how it goes with being on reality TV, tough noogies. She agreed to it, she needs to participate in the show.

While I understand what you're saying, someones life is at risk in this "reality show". They see her as an income and if she doesn't provide enough entertainment they will put her life at risk to create drama and that alone is disgusting. I usually love watching this show but this particular episode made me feel dirty watching it.

1 minute ago, cpcathy said:

I suspect there was something that happened before she showed up at the door.  Possibly they had made arrangements to meet and/or film that day... And Tanesha, in keeping with her irresponsible and inconsistent MO, backed out at the last minute - or simply avoided the situation by not answering the door or the phone.  Too bad the little daughter was put in the middle. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Velisity said:

They see her as an income and if she doesn't provide enough entertainment they will put her life at risk to create drama and that alone is disgusting.

How are they putting her life at risk by asking her to pick up the phone?

They only went to the house because she was ignoring all the calls, texts, and emails. Maybe if Tanisha really wanted to be left alone, she could return the check.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, operalover said:

These cheaters get real excited about the 11 pounds because they ate awful and cut back for 3 days before the appt and prayed they would show a loss. Dr Na knows they were fucking around. Now if you are I lost 11 pounds thats like 5% or more of our weight where for her is .0005% You can always tell when they say "I don't know what the scale is going to show, I tried my best" that they were fucking around.  

Yep.  A few years ago, I needed to lose about 25 lbs. I started on Medifast and did the low carb thing and dropped 10 lbs a month keeping my diet within 1000 calories and under 100 carbs. I wasn't hungry (it was a struggle to get the 5 shakes a day in). I stopped after 3 months and had lost about 32 lbs total.   I am 5' 11" and started off under 200 lbs. 

She totally did the cut back 3 days before the appointment thing.

• Love 2
Just now, Hockeymom said:

How are they putting her life at risk by asking her to pick up the phone?

They only went to the house because she was ignoring all the calls, texts, and emails. Maybe if Tanisha really wanted to be left alone, she could return the check.

Dr. Now didn't do what he usually does. He didn't recommend a therapist until a year after she started. When has he ever done that?? He normally does it after the first time they fail. TLC had to a hand in that happening. If she just gave up and said "I'm not doing this." they wouldn't of had much of a show would they? So they gave her a little push to create drama. If you get what I'm saying.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SouthernCross said:

I stopped after 3 months and had lost about 32 lbs total

Have you kept it off? I'm always curious about real-life weight loss strategies.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Carrie said:

Can anyone tell me why Dr. Now's sideburns keep changing length in the middle of what is allegedly a single conversation?  ?

His eating habit? :)

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Azubah said:

Have you kept it off? I'm always curious about real-life weight loss strategies.

I have by figuring out that carbs and I don't get along and I've laid off the breads and pasta/starchy stuff to a large extent. I will have it occasionally but not like I used to.

I keep a food diary in my iPad which takes about 2 seconds so I know where I'm at for the day.  

I was always super skinny eat whatever and not gain an ounce in my 20s...gained a little in my 30s and now that I'm doing the menopause thing, it's much harder but I manage. 

I also have a dog that loves her walks so that helps too. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Velisity said:

He didn't recommend a therapist until a year after she started.

I think part of that was because she skipped months at a time. Even though it was a year in, it was only her second or third appointment.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Velisity said:

So they gave her a little push to create drama.

And yes, of course they did. It's a TV show. It's supposed to entertain us. That's why we watch. I don't get the feeling she was exploited at all. If you call the show, make the deal, and take the cash, then you need to uphold your end of the bargain. How often in life do you get paid to help yourself?

• Love 10