Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Stoppable: Requiem For An Airdate

• Start Topic

Lucca defends a TV writer-producer in a copyright infringement case with ties to the President of the United States. Mike Kresteva takes aim at Reddick, Boseman & Kolstad. Carrie Preston, Matthew Perry and John Benjamin Hickey guest star.

I liked the episode. I don't really care for the Trump stuff that much but everything else was enjoyable. Great chemistry between the romantic pairings.   I love Elsbeth.  The Maia storyline feels out of place.  I know they're using the Rindell stuff to try and take down the law firm but it doesn't really make sense. Maia is just a first-year associate.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 5

Elsbeth is always wonderful.  I agree about the references to Alicia.  I fully understand why she would stay well away from Diane, but it's not like Alicia died in the final Good Wife episode, or announced she was returning to her home planet.  I know that this is not The Good Wife, and it would be unlikely that Alicia would ever make an appearance during a period when the show is trying to establish itself, but I feel like they've set up a weird situation where the character is there, but not there.      

• Love 3

I really loved this episode...and Elsbeth tempers Matthew Perry's character a lot..Love seeing Kurt and Diana find their way back to each other...and the slight racial commentary.."White..white..white"..perfect...

I fell out of my chair when the Alicia Keys song started playing....way to acknowledge the missing Alica with another Alicia..

This may be my favorite episode yet...

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Noreaster said:

The Maia storyline feels out of place.

Maia is the Archie of The Good Fight.  (If anyone watches Riverdale)

I think Lucca is so weird.  LOL.  When it comes to her romantic life.  It's hard for me to grasp.  Are there women who really act like her?  Maybe.  But to me it just feels like silly writing.

Sometimes this show is like TGW when it was good.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

ELSBETH!!! I love her. I'm so glad to see her back. I loved everything she did, especially taking Mike Kresteva down a peg or two. I don't think I could watch an entire show based on her but the Good Wife/Fight people know how to use her just right. Its never too much (though I wasn't fond of the story with her ex husband and their dog. That was just weird).

14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Lol! A plus reference. She does seem like she's on a different show. I wish they'd integrate her more to the plot like they did in the pilot. I'm not sure why we're supposed to care about her family drama when I'm more concerned with Diane breaking her losing streak or Lucca's issues since I have more investment and history with those characters. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Lucca is so weird.  LOL.  When it comes to her romantic life.  It's hard for me to grasp.  Are there women who really act like her?  Maybe.  But to me it just feels like silly writing.

Massive 'like' for that Archie comment :) And you're right: Redheaded, lovable, but a bit dim (seriously, Maia, you didn't see how shady both your parents are?) and starring in a storyline that's way less interesting that the rest of the show.

I absolutely adore Lucca (Cush Jumbo is my new girl crush) and I actually like what they're doing with her love life. I wasn't sold on Morello at first - he seemed so smarmy - but I've come around. He's peeling off a few of her layers and I like it.

5 hours ago, dippydee said:

I'm more concerned with Diane breaking her losing streak or Lucca's issues since I have more investment and history with those characters. 

Yeah, I'm a bit worried for Diane. And I want her to forgive Kurt already (It helps I didn't watch the last season of The Good Wife so I don't have much of the *rage* feels when it comes to why they broke it off. I'm just going all "la-la can't hear you" over here in my corner).

I also want to know more about Boseman and especially Barbara Kolstad. She intrigues me, the same way Diane did in the first season of TGW.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this but I wish I hadn't seen Preston's name in the opening credits.  It spoiled the reveal in that dentist office or whatever that place was.  

I don't know their ages but I was thinking in their scene together that she could play a mother (or much older sister) of Maia.  They both have the red hair and sharp features.  Peters is all pert little button nose and round cheeks.  

If 

59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know if anyone in the audience feels rage.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Diane and Kurt break up because Diane THINKS Kurt cheated but it's never been confirmed?

If I remember correctly, it's something that come up with his protégé when he was testifying. I thought he had apologized and that was his admission of guilt. There was more but there was so much going on in the story that I can't remember. So many characters, so many law firm changes, etc. Perhaps someone else can chime in. I think it was the finale when Diane slapped Alicia for humiliating her by revealing the affair through her line of questioning. 

• Love 3

If 

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know if anyone in the audience feels rage.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Diane and Kurt break up because Diane THINKS Kurt cheated but it's never been confirmed?

If I remember correctly, it's something that come up with his protégé when he was testifying. I thought he had apologized and that was his admission of guilt. There was more but there was so much going on in the story that I can't remember. So many characters, so many law firm changes, etc. Perhaps someone else can chime in. I think it was the finale when Diane slapped Alicia for humiliating her by revealing the affair through her line of questioning. 

That's correct, it was the alleged affair with Megan Hilty's character from the finale.

I loved the episode. Time to stop the Alicia name dropping and let the show stand on its own feet. I wasn't keen on Lucca in TGW, but like her a lot now, and I love Adrian. With a good case this week, Elsbeth, Kurt and sleezy Matthew Perry made this - in my opinion - the best episode yet. Can't wait to see the Rindell story unfold.

Now if they could squeeze in Rita Wilson at some point .... :-)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think it was pretty much confirmed in the premiere.  I forget exactly how the scene played out but it was one of the things I disliked about TGW's finale and I was hoping it wasn't true.  But I felt the show confirmed it here.  At the very least, Diane still very much believes it.  

• Love 3

I binged this yesterday but not *ahem*on CBS all Access *ahem*

Anyway, I am really digging this and this episode was the best of a really strong season so far.

- Matthew Perry -- Oh man -- is he ok?  He looks terrible.  I'm serious and not snarking.  Between his bloated face and his slurring is he really medically ok?

- I only casually watched The Good Wife, but I always loved the Elspeth episodes and she was even more excellent in this one.  I don;t now how but she managed to come off a little... menacing... in her cozy sharing of wine and ice cream with Kresteva's wife in their kitchen.  It was such a great "don't come for me unless you are called" scene.

- I get such a tickle out of seeing what snazzy outfit they are going to put on Delroy Lindo every episode.  He is such a snappy dresser here that his pocket squares almost give me as much joy as Lucca's shoes.

- Lucca is really, seriously the MVP of these eps so far.  How nice to see her stretch and come into her own as a character and I just love Cush Jumbo.  She has a sparkle!

- Diane is a wonderful center and I am glad she finally got a win with bringing in her Chum Hum whale.  Good for her.  And yet, I don't want the show to set her up as some white savior of the black law firm either. 

- But I also need for Barbara to get a win too.  Erica Tazel is too good an actress to be wasted as just some glorified office manager.  I want to see her do law and not just as some set up constant foil for Diane where she constantly comes up short because Diane is the star.  The optics of that are just not good.  For instance I loved that scene of her and Diane in the previous episode talking quietly about life choices.  Great scene.

- Maia's scene with Elspeth is probably one of the best Maia scenes/storyline since the premiere.  The Maia stuff is dragging for me, tbh.  I get impatient with her stuff and want to get back to watching Diane, Lucca, Delroy etc.  Maybe if we got to see her actually interact with other newbie associates at this firm and not just have her off on her own storyline or mainly interacting with Marissa in the office.  There is the optics of creating this white silo in a black firm but also it just seems to make it feel like she is in her off on a different show.  It is good that this ep tied the Rindell stuff in with this firm and her jeopardizing the firm so that has possibilities, but so far her storyline has been a bit of dud.

-Speaking of Marissa, man, I find her just too much.  I am starting to roll my eyes when she appears because they are skating the line of making her a Mary Sue.

• Love 5
On 15.03.2017 at 7:39 PM, DearEvette said:

I binged this yesterday but not *ahem*on CBS all Access *ahem*

Anyway, I am really digging this and this episode was the best of a really strong season so far.

- Matthew Perry -- Oh man -- is he ok?  He looks terrible.  I'm serious and not snarking.  Between his bloated face and his slurring is he really medically ok?

- Maia's scene with Elspeth is probably one of the best Maia scenes/storyline since the premiere.  The Maia stuff is dragging for me, tbh.  I get impatient with her stuff and want to get back to watching Diane, Lucca, Delroy etc.  Maybe if we got to see her actually interact with other newbie associates at this firm and not just have her off on her own storyline or mainly interacting with Marissa in the office.  There is the optics of creating this white silo in a black firm but also it just seems to make it feel like she is in her off on a different show.  It is good that this ep tied the Rindell stuff in with this firm and her jeopardizing the firm so that has possibilities, but so far her storyline has been a bit of dud.

-Speaking of Marissa, man, I find her just too much.  I am starting to roll my eyes when she appears because they are skating the line of making her a Mary Sue.

Completely agree with all your points! I hope they don't ruin Marissa's character. She was great on the Good Wife but is a bit off here.

Would love to see more of Kurt. Is there any hope of Gary Cole becoming a regular?  

Edited by Mabel
56 minutes ago, Eneya said:

Wait... THAT'S Matthew Perry?????

Exactly! He looks awful! David Schwimmer and Matt LeBlanc look much younger by comparison, even though they are actually older. On The Good Wife Perry was in a better for. 

Everything about the firm's handling of the screenwriter's case, from trying to push him into settling when they thought it would harm their business to continue the case, to talking him out of settling once they learned it would be in their interest to keep the case going, was grossly, grossly unethical.

Love, love, love Elsbeth Tasioni!!   Loved that when MP's character is all, "come at me professionally, I'll come at you personally", and her answer to that is to sit in his kitchen with his wife, eating ice cream from the container finding out a bunch of embarassing crap about him.  You met your match Krestiva.  Also loved that she recorded thier conversation because that came up once on an episode of TGW and I was really hoping she had done it here too.  

Love Luca's boyfriend and I hope that continues.  

• Love 4
On 2017-03-13 at 0:43 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

On 2017-03-12 at 10:10 AM, Noreaster said:

The Maia storyline feels out of place.

Because she's a redhead who first became famous in a fantasy version of a bygone era (Gwen or Ygritte, select all that apply)? ;)

Elsbeth Tascioni - love the way that under that ditzy exterior she's secretly brilliant. And that she was absolutely unintimidated by slimy Mike Kresteva, but went straight to his house!

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, Perkie said:

You met your match Krestiva.  Also loved that she recorded their conversation because that came up once on an episode of TGW

Yeah, I remember that too (including pointing out which jurisdiction secretly recorded conversations were admissible - she does know her stuff).

Did think Diane was going to borrow the money from Kurt, as I think the way they're presenting a divorce as complex. Just because they've split up doesn't mean they don't still care about each other. But also liked that she "bought in" by bringing in Mr. ChumHum

• Love 2

I just despise the Maia character. I have no idea why she is in this show, or the law firm either. She reminds me of a really twitchy Rory Gilmore. No interest in learning more about her family. As noted previously, there are far too many characters in this show, they could easily jettison this entitled white family. I am much more interested in the b;lack law firm, something I've never seen before. Nice to see a different portrayal of a law firm - unlike all the law firms we saw on The Good Wife, this one seems to hold values other than making maximum income. And poor Lucca - she gets stuck with a limp wet noodle for a boyfriend and the lamest excuse for a first year lawyer that I've ever seen portrayed on TV. Why on earth is this vibrant, stunning and exceptionally intelligent professional woman wasting her time with these two dimwits? The show needs to give her interesting friends and lovers to play off.

Marissa and Diane/Kurt (& Elspeth!) are great to watch as always. If the producers are afraid that the audience will stay away from watching this show because it is primarily African American, those storylines will draw us in. I think this will make a longlasting ensemble drama as long as they jettison that annoying corrupt family.