Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Telling Her Goodbye

• Start Topic

Three-week break before this airs on March 21st, but the summary is up now, so here it is:

When a turf war escalates, members of truck and squad find themselves caught in the middle as unsuspecting hostages when a group of armed gang members take cover and assume control over Firehouse 51. The situation turns even more dire when one of the infiltrators is wounded and in need of serious help.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Stina8998 said:

Please,  who played the officer named Wolcott.  He was standing with JB's mother when she was talking to him

The SWAT leader?  He looked familiar to me too, but I'm not sure.

I thought this episode was good, but didn't blow me out of the water.  I think I wasn't entirely paying attention though, so maybe I should watch it again.  I liked that Herrmann, Otis, and Cruz had larger roles and weren't just sidelined to Casey and Severide.  I did not like that Severide had to get dressed... ;-)  

• Love 1

It was pretty good, dramatic. 

Herman faking his heart attack was great.

Casey was an idiot running out like that. 

The SWAT leader I recognized too and worked well with Brett. He made me thing they were setting up a new show Chicago:SWAT. lol

• Love 4

Good episode - minimal personal BS and maximum drama. As a bonus it wasn't just a jumping off point for Chicago PD, Chicago Med and Chicago Justice. About half way through I started to worry it might be, because these cross-over events are killing this show IMO. 

If I had to nitpick, I'd ask why Severide was taking a shower other than to get the actor gratuitously naked. They hadn't been out on a run as far as I could tell so nobody got dirty enough to need a shower, nobody else was in there - did Severide simply not shower that morning and decided to shower at work several hours into his shift? It had been at least a little while since they started since Gabby and Sylvie had gone out on a call. I know they needed him to be separated from the rest of the group plot-wise and it would have worked just as well if he'd been on the toilet but I guess that wouldn't have been very "sexy."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Good episode - minimal personal BS and maximum drama. As a bonus it wasn't just a jumping off point for Chicago PD, Chicago Med and Chicago Justice. About half way through I started to worry it might be, because these cross-over events are killing this show IMO. 

If I had to nitpick, I'd ask why Severide was taking a shower other than to get the actor gratuitously naked. They hadn't been out on a run as far as I could tell so nobody got dirty enough to need a shower, nobody else was in there - did Severide simply not shower that morning and decided to shower at work several hours into his shift? It had been at least a little while since they started since Gabby and Sylvie had gone out on a call. I know they needed him to be separated from the rest of the group plot-wise and it would have worked just as well if he'd been on the toilet but I guess that wouldn't have been very "sexy."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like crossovers.  I watch Fire and PD already though, so I'm barely forced to watch anything "extra."  Med is hit or miss, but I don't mind it if it's part of a crossover.

Re: Severide, maybe he was working out?  Since they were eating breakfast, I guess it was still the morning.  Also, appeared to be a slow shift.  I guess there's any number of reasons why he was taking a shower.  I think a shower also makes more sense than just using the restroom because he needed to not be able to hear what was happening either.

• Love 7

I liked this episode and nice to have no Dawson drama. I admit, I wished that psycho guy would just get killed by the other gang member. I did think that Herrman really did have a heart attack but that was awesome faking it. I do have one thing though, when Severide made the call, couldn't Dawson and Brett hear it on the radio at the same time he radioed in? 

I liked the action with Severide and Kidd too. 

• Love 3

I liked this episode and nice to have no Dawson drama.

Well . . . we can't have an episode entirely without some Dawson drama - it's the law or something. So of course Casey had to get shot and Dawson had to agonize over it. Because it's always about Dawson.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The SWAT leader?  He looked familiar to me too, but I'm not sure.

All I found was that he plays the SWAT leader on Chicago PD, also.  Steve Wojtas.  To me he kinda sorta looks like Neil Patrick Harris.

Yet another reason why Casey and Dawson should not be working in the same house.  I would have had a good laugh if one of the gang members recognized Casey and said "Hey, ain't you my alderman?"

Anybody want to bet that the Squad and the Station will be cleaned up just fine by next episode.  And no bruises for Stella or Casey?

One thing that annoyed me a little.....when Gabby was talking Otis through the procedure surely they would have had her phone on speaker so that SWAT, PD could hear what was going on, rather than just ask Gabby what they said. That was pretty poor & kinda killed that scene for me. I mean come on...basic hostage situation management 101.

And yes I did recognise the SWAT guy from a PD episode & I do like that kind of continuity the shows have.

• Love 3

Something else I just thought of that really irked me and I don't think a paramedic would be allowed to do this. Gabby helped JJ, I think it was who got shot and she took the bullet out to save him, I admit, not sure that would have worked or helped in real life. 

I really enjoyed this episode and thought Stella's part was just fabulous--she joked with Kelly about his new girlfriend, she was the medical go-to for the gunshot, she got smacked around into the lockers, she saved Kelly in the bathrooom, and she was just one of the guys walking back into the House at the end. Nice job, Miranda Rae Mayo (why yes I did just look her name up). 

Mr. MML and I kept saying, "What is he doing?" as Kelly just slinked around what, the locker room?, almost the whole episode. I couldn't believe he didn't come up with a plan to save the day, or at least to get out of the House and get help; he just reminded me of Gollum lurking around the fellowship of the ring. And the guy who smacked Stella around, when he was looking for her in the locker room, under the bench, on top of the lockers--that sort of made me laugh. It was like a French farce where people keep coming in and out of rooms on a long hall.

Show totally got me with Herman's fake heart attack. Well played! And yes to Otis doing the whole release the pressure on the heart procedure, and Cruz volunteering to drive the Squad for the bad guys. 

• Love 4

I liked this episode because it was different that what we've been seeing lately, though I could have done without Dawson removing a bullet and saving that day. The actors who played the gang members were great, unpredictable. I was trying to fall asleep but the suspense was palpable! The fact that Kelly couldn't save the day and was trapped lurking around was much more believable to me. Poor Stella. The actress did such a great job. It would be nice if that SWAT guy is single and meets Sylvia at Molly's. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

All I found was that he plays the SWAT leader on Chicago PD, also.  Steve Wojtas.  To me he kinda sorta looks like Neil Patrick Harris.

Thanks, I must have recognized him from there.  

On 23/3/2017 at 0:28 PM, bounnatalie said:

I liked this episode because it was different that what we've been seeing lately, though I could have done without Dawson removing a bullet and saving that day. The actors who played the gang members were great, unpredictable. I was trying to fall asleep but the suspense was palpable! The fact that Kelly couldn't save the day and was trapped lurking around was much more believable to me. Poor Stella. The actress did such a great job. It would be nice if that SWAT guy is single and meets Sylvia at Molly's. 

I loved the episode but I agree, there was no reason to make Dawson the hero even at the very end of the episode. I get it that in an ensemble some characters are going to get more screentime, and CF has a huge cast. But even Casey and Severide get reduced screentime from time to time, yet Dawson always ends up being the hero in one way or the other. And I do like her, but sometimes (like in this episode) it's too obvious that they're trying to include her even if it's random.

I liked Stella's scenes, but she was hit twice on the head and she was completely fine? Then again, Casey was shot and he seemed to be fine as well.

• Love 2

The irony is that Dawson was operating waaaay out of her scope of practice, unless medics in CFD are trained in surgical procedures.  If JB dies, or is adversely impacted by blood loss to the brain, CFD might find itself on the business end of a malpractice lawsuit.  But of course she would alternately snarl and smile her way through her testimony and win over the jury to save the day.

15 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The irony is that Dawson was operating waaaay out of her scope of practice, unless medics in CFD are trained in surgical procedures.  If JB dies, or is adversely impacted by blood loss to the brain, CFD might find itself on the business end of a malpractice lawsuit.  But of course she would alternately snarl and smile her way through her testimony and win over the jury to save the day.

And then the jury foreman would collapse and Gabby would perform open heart surgery on her using only a nailfile and the judge's gavel.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

And then the jury foreman would collapse and Gabby would perform open heart surgery on her using only a nailfile and the judge's gavel.

LOL!!  Please don't give the writers any ideas ...

On 3/22/2017 at 5:34 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Anybody want to bet that the Squad and the Station will be cleaned up just fine by next episode.  And no bruises for Stella or Casey?

Hopefully when they clean up, they'll notice the gang member who was left in the bathroom.

Stella had a bruise on her forehead. I think Casey was in a sling.

This episode was action packed. My only complaint was Gabby saving the day with the bullet. Sylvie should have pulled the bullet out. She NEVER gets to be the hero with Dawson around. 

• Love 2

I think that ever since Gabby moved back to ambo, Sylvie barely has any lines.

Btw, are they keeping her there permanently? She only said she wanted to move back because of Louie, and she spent a couple seasons convincing us that being a firefighter was her calling...after deciding that she isn't going into med school

5 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I think that ever since Gabby moved back to ambo, Sylvie barely has any lines.

Btw, are they keeping her there permanently? She only said she wanted to move back because of Louie, and she spent a couple seasons convincing us that being a firefighter was her calling...after deciding that she isn't going into med school

Shhh!  Stella is a better firefighter than Dawson ever imagined being--while I hate that Sylvie gets the shaft by being on ambo with Gabby, but it helps limit Dawson's amazing fire rescues, which I'm all in favor of.

• Love 1

Well she's still getting the big rescues as a paramedic too. I like Stella and I guess if Gabby were to move back, she would either get transferred or at the very least she would get even fewer scenes. I'm ok with the current team, I don't want Gabby to move back. I'm just saying that this was a huuuge storyline and suddenly she just dropped her dream and she doesn't seem to care. I would rather have one brief scene of her telling Casey how much she misses being a firefighter/that she decided she doesn't want it anymore than have her worry about him in pretty much every single episode even if it's out of line and unprofessional.

I just watched season 1 for the first time to get caught up, and it seems to me that Gabby is the one who does the risky procedures because she's the one willing to take the fall if something goes wrong.  Maybe it's her small way of protecting her partners - she did it for Shay and now she's doing it for Brett too.  Just a thought.  I'm halfway through season 2 (which is where I started watching in the first place) and Gabby wanting to be a doctor has only been mentioned maybe 3 times total.  She shadowed Hallie for a day, and never did much else.

On 23/03/2017 at 6:28 AM, bounnatalie said:

I really thought it was going to become Die Hard in a fire hall with Severide as John Mclean. Glad it didn't and they mixed it up a bit. Only thing it needed was Trudy outside with the SWAT guys.

Also did they go back in and finish their shift at the end?

• Love 2
On 28/3/2017 at 4:40 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I just watched season 1 for the first time to get caught up, and it seems to me that Gabby is the one who does the risky procedures because she's the one willing to take the fall if something goes wrong.  Maybe it's her small way of protecting her partners - she did it for Shay and now she's doing it for Brett too.  Just a thought.  I'm halfway through season 2 (which is where I started watching in the first place) and Gabby wanting to be a doctor has only been mentioned maybe 3 times total.  She shadowed Hallie for a day, and never did much else.

Well yeah but they didn't have to bring it up more often than that because it was irrelevant to the show. Ok, she changed her mind and she wanted to become a firefighter. That's perfectly normal. BUT she changed her mind completely out of the blue, she was suddenly so invested that every time anyone said something remotely discouraging/negative about her decision she was acting like they disrespected her (like blowing up at Casey for example). So we were supposed to believe that she finally found her calling even though she was working at least 5 years as a paramedic around firefighters and she never thought about wanting to become one. Then, her getting to be a firefighter and her struggles were such an important part of the show and she got all the focus... And again out of the blue, she gave up her "dream job"-for a good reason, but when that good reason was out of the picture, she never mentioned giving up her dream again. That's the confusing part.

• Love 1
On 3/22/2017 at 0:05 PM, iMonrey said:

Right, I wonder why Severide was in a towel and not, say, Mouch

• LOL 1

Great episode - first one I haven't fast forwarded through in a long time. I appreciate the writers giving Stella some screentime and resisting the urge to make it All About Gabby. Stella was amazing and managed to carry the episode, help save the day without doing it in the smug manner that Gabby usually does. Of course Gabby had to still get the final save but what else can one expect from this show. Let's just be glad she didn't dominate the episode. 

Severide crawling around the building was hilarious as he effectively did absolutely nothing.