Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I predict Maddie is going to dump dance like an old banana peel once she "finds boys."   I laughed at an older episode of Dance Moms where Maddy turns up her nose in an "ugh" kind of way when paired with a boy for one of the dances.  Couldn't help but think that this yucky-boy reaction will soon be a distant memory.  She's coming up on that boy-crazy age very soon. And I'm willing to bet that boys will replace dance as her passion.

It's possible.  Her mother has set a doubtful example. 

• Love 1

Well, she might be the most popular 12-year-old right now because of her ALDC fame, but I predict Maddie is going to dump dance like an old banana peel once she "finds boys."   I laughed at an older episode of Dance Moms where Maddy turns up her nose in an "ugh" kind of way when paired with a boy for one of the dances.  Couldn't help but think that this yucky-boy reaction will soon be a distant memory.  She's coming up on that boy-crazy age very soon. And I'm willing to bet that boys will replace dance as her passion. 

How is she really going to "find boys" when she's being home-schooled, and poorly at that? 

How is she really going to "find boys" when she's being home-schooled, and poorly at that? 

Yes, I see what you're saying.  It's just that adolescent girls can be very persuasive -- and persistent.  I do have to wonder how long it will be before Maddie protests against the home schooling.  Is she being taught by a private tutor? Surely Melissa is not her teacher.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday

Yes, I see what you're saying.  It's just that adolescent girls can be very persuasive -- and persistent.  I do have to wonder how long it will be before Maddie protests against the home schooling.  Is she being taught by a private tutor? Surely Melissa is not her teacher.

LOL!  Oh, trust me.  I have a 13-yr old niece who is every bit as stubborn as her now 23-yr old sister, but not nearly as persuasive nor quite as persistent yet (thank God). 

It's hard to say whether or not Maddie is going to protest against the home-schooling.  After all, from her perspective, what's not to love about the current arrangement?  She gets to dance, is making tons of money, doesn't have to keep to a school schedule, etc.  If any of my nieces and nephews, at that age, had a set-up like hers, they'd have been as happy as a clam.

Is she being taught by a private tutor? Surely Melissa is not her teacher.

It's never been addressed in a straight forward way - but it sounds like she has a tutor.  It was clear that in LA all the girls were being taught by someone - but it also sounded flexible.

Adolescent girls manage boys and dance if dance is something they are serious about - but this is the time that less serious "normal" girls do drop from dance to pursue all sorts of things, especially when they hit freshman year in high school.

• Love 1

Trust and believe there's always a way

Yes, I see what you're saying. It's just that adolescent girls can be very persuasive -- and persistent. I do have to wonder how long it will be before Maddie protests against the home schooling. Is she being taught by a private tutor? Surely Melissa is not her teacher.

Didn't she go to online school? And the girls have private tutors on set. Just look at the credits. I think Maddie lives "homeschooling" she can do whatever she wants without school getting in the way.

Maddie and Mackenzie have a tutor; there was an episode that was shown way back when they started homeschooling that showed them being taught at home. 

As far as Chloe's popularity; she's more popular with the fans because everyone loves the underdog (except me; I never bought into it). But surprisingly that hasn't translated over into any big career opportunities. She's done a couple of music videos for smaller internet stars and some smaller magazine covers but she doesn't get booked for any of the big name stuff that Maddie has so far (Capezio, Elle, Vogue, Glamour, Appearing during Fashion Week, Polo etc). It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I know everyone says that Maddie gets all of the opportunities because of being shown as the "best" on the show but I don't buy that. She is clearly favored by Abby but she's also the "villain" and I would think that would mean that the other "nicer" girls would be more appealing as a whole. I think it's because despite what the show portrays in my opinion Maddie has a certain something that the others, including Chloe, simply do not. She definitely catches your eye and to use that old tired beauty pageant slogan "sparkles". 

• Love 2

I think it's in her features. She has big eyes and a wide mouth that make it easy to see her expressions from the stage and on camera. That's also why Nia lights up the stage when she dances - good expression and the face to "sell" it.

• Love 2

Maddie and Mackenzie have a tutor; there was an episode that was shown way back when they started homeschooling that showed them being taught at home.

As far as Chloe's popularity; she's more popular with the fans because everyone loves the underdog (except me; I never bought into it). But surprisingly that hasn't translated over into any big career opportunities. She's done a couple of music videos for smaller internet stars and some smaller magazine covers but she doesn't get booked for any of the big name stuff that Maddie has so far (Capezio, Elle, Vogue, Glamour, Appearing during Fashion Week, Polo etc). It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I know everyone says that Maddie gets all of the opportunities because of being shown as the "best" on the show but I don't buy that. She is clearly favored by Abby but she's also the "villain" and I would think that would mean that the other "nicer" girls would be more appealing as a whole. I think it's because despite what the show portrays in my opinion Maddie has a certain something that the others, including Chloe, simply do not. She definitely catches your eye and to use that old tired beauty pageant slogan "sparkles".

Well I think Sia definitely helped her getting exposure along with the show. Maddie is short and has that childlike look. So she can definitely get more roles like that.

• Love 1

Most of Maddie's big name stuff came after Sia chose her; I don't think she would have done any of that stuff without Chandelier. 

• Love 3

I know everyone says that Maddie gets all of the opportunities because of being shown as the "best" on the show but I don't buy that.

I don't understand why Maddie is the only one on this show who has been picked up by a legitimate agency (and her sister, I guess).  I do think that Maddie has  the most potential, but the others have a lot of fans.  Usually it's enough just to have a ton of followers on social media.  Did Nia's video get any attention from agents or music producers?  Or Kendall? (prob not).  How about Kalani?  She's been in the spotlight longer than these girls. 

First time here,hello.The kids quite liked the show in years past,after Brooke and Paige left we lost interest.Once every blue moon i visit here to see if it has improved at all,no luck there.Stumbled across a photo of Maddie and Abby having a moment.No info on where or when it was taken.Just wondering if this is habitual dance mom fodder and if I am the only one finding it disturbing . This link is from celeb gossip: https://masterchan.org/media/images/8040191.jpg

You are not alone in finding that disturbing. Maddie's pulling away and looks freaked out. Not to insinuate that there's anything scandalous going on, but I've always found Abby's obsession with Maddie pretty disturbing. She puts a lot of weight on that little girls shoulders.

Edited by Clemgo3165
  • Love 2

With WME respresenting her, I don't understand why Maddie hasn't left Dance Moms. The show is a joke, she seems embarrassed by it (given her exchange with Betsey Johnson), and the jobs she's booking now don't involve her DM castmates. I think she's going to leave ALDC soon, the show will be cancelled soon afterwards, and that Abby will have an uphill battle to keep kids interested in her without Maddie and the rest of the cast.

From what I can tell from twitter they already cancled dance moms. Holly tweeted about it last week or 2 weeks ago.

No adult should be kissing a kid on the lips.

I don't disagree, but I think that photo was from the episode where Maddie had to kiss the boy she was dancing with, and was uncomfortable.  Did Abby "demonstrate" to show it was no big deal?

Yahoo news feed is reporting that a package was sent to one of the Dance Mom kids that the Police/Fire destroyed with a water cannon fearing it was a bomb.

It was sent to Jojo and apparently included explicit material. The man has been arrested. 

"Way back in 2011, [Cathy] Nesbitt-Stein and Vivi-Anne joined the show “Dance Moms” without any idea that it will be their key to Hollywood fame. Since then, they have become one of the most fan-favorite cast in the show, but when the duo did not return to the fifth season of Lifetime channel, many were very disappointed. Well, it seems like without Vivi-Anne humor and Nesbitt-Stein’s quick-witted comebacks are really missed."

Quote (horribly written) from an online article I saw today. And may I only say: ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Yeah, all Season 6 needs to be successful is more Vivi-Anne. I hope she can still dance!

• Love 1

It makes you wonder about whether Dance Moms or, for that matter, any TV show that features underage girls should be aired at this point.

Whose protecting these kids? It's certainly not their mothers or their fathers. They need someone to protect them

It makes you wonder about whether Dance Moms or, for that matter, any TV show that features underage girls should be aired at this point. 

There is no sense in going full blown paranoia that every child who appears on TV is going to be a victim, but what i think real celebrities get over reality star made celebrities is the concept of security. Celebrities hide behind their agent, hired help, and security; reality stars are famous for being themselves and often overshare before they blow up and then it's too late to step back. I feel bad for Jojo; this is a creepy, awful situation that I hope Jess wakes up to and gets Jojo some more protection. But all underage girls? That's extreme and kinda sexist. Boys become targets too. 

• Love 1

Another term for the hamburger hands that I'm now remembering was Brian Friedman's criticism during S1 of SYTYCD of the contestant Melissa, he called her Lindsay Lobster Claws, after she fixed her hands and did a beautiful Waltz? I think?  He called her Betty Ballroom.

It was a quickstep, believe it or not, with Artem! 

• Love 1

Maddie was also featured in Teen Vogues Young Hollywood Portfolio.  They pick 12 up and coming stars and do a little photo shoot and profile on them... there's also a short audition tape they have them each do just for fun.  Maddie's is pretty cute, she plays around and tap dances in an old fashioned diner.

http://www.teenvogue.com/gallery/young-hollywood-photo-exclusive

I have to say, Maddie has really grown into her features.  Her face is kind of stunning. 

I can't seem to find it on the page linked. I even searched Maddie Ziegler on their site and it didn't come up.

The 2nd picture and the last one, with the text (click on "more" to read it) ;)

Edited by Diane Mars

I have to say, Maddie has really grown into her features.  Her face is kind of stunning. 

She has a unique beauty.   Are the other girls doing any outside work?  Are they coming back for a new season?  If so, I hope the tone becomes more pleasant.

What in the hell?  Maddie was cast in a legit movie? 

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/bobby-moynihan-maddie-ziegler-book-of-henry-colin-trevorrow-1201610533/

Congrats to her and all, but I am so confused.   Have these people seen her act?  If she couldn't even act convincingly in a Disney Channel tv show, how is she planning to act against a bunch of heavy hitters?   Like I think she acts fine when it's connected to a dance performance, so if her part involves her basically just dancing, then okay.  But she wasn't even convincing in that birthday video where she sat on a bed and pretended to read a book.

• Love 1

Being I'm going through Dance Mom withdrawal - can you believe it! - I've been watching Bring It. There is a spin off show, Step It Up, which you can view on Lifetime. Unlike the majorette / hop hop routines we see on Bring It - this focuses more on Dance and they opportunities presented to young dances. I did not like the teacher on Bring It when Diana's group competed against them - but I do like her in this series. She has Abby's toughness but true concern that all her dancers succeed.