Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

Nah these moms are famewhores

And you are entitled to your wrong opinion (I really hope you know I am completely joking I just love that Holly line and saw a chance to use it!!) in all seriousness, it's not that I don't think any of these moms are fame whores, I just meant that pursuing a career in the spot light does not make you a fame whore... But you probably are right that is not the case with these moms specifically and they do tend toward fame-whoredom

Pursuing a career or developing a talent that also includes fame is one thing.  Pursuing fame for the end goal of fame is what fame whoring is in my view.

These moms are fame whores in my opinion.  Brad Pitt, however, would not be. 

• Love 2

Abby is creepy. Here she is giving inappropriate commentary while Maddie and Kendall play with a hoverboard.

That's a really weird video for her to upload, why even xD Gosh though I didn't realise Maddie was so petite.

This is great. Jill's greatest hits. Although, it is kind of sad to see Kendall literally repeating Jill word-for-word.I

I've been watching Dance Moms back from the beginning, and Kendall's always been a bit mouthy. There was an instance at the end of the second series where Chloe got the solo and Kendall said something along the lines of she didn't deserve it. I think she's always been very vocal, but I think it's more noticeable lately as she's confronting people rather than saying it in her talking head, or to Jill in private 

• Love 1

Abby is creepy. Here she is giving inappropriate commentary while Maddie and Kendall play with a hoverboard.

I thought it was cute!  Nothing to clutch pearls over.  Trying to be funny is better than trying to be mean.

That's a really weird video for her to upload, why even xD Gosh though I didn't realise Maddie was so petite.

Abby sounds like she is drunk or on something. The comments were super weird "Maddie those shirts are a little short", and making snarky comments constantly about both Maddie and Kendall. It also looks a bit stalker-ish, given she's filming off a laptop (not saying she is a stalker, but it's really weird). She sounds like she is losing it.

• Love 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpTdqbc7J9o Nia's latest song - the one little girl is one of the members of the Dollhouse baby group from Bring It if anyone watches that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7Hacyd8ys Asia's still doing things also.

That Nia "performance" was awful - extremely autotuned for the parts she actually sang something and then her lipsynching in the chorus part wasn't even close to being on the track - some parts her mouth was closed when she was supposed to be fake singing. Really bad.

Asia looks so much more grown up.

I've always had a soft spot for Nia. I bought her earlier song, fantasizing about Jill's head exploding as the iTunes sale counter ticked up by one (cheap thrills). But yeah, I hope she has other plans for the future. That wasn't good.

Reiterating my earlier comment: Asia did a nice job on Grey's. Whether or not that says anything about *her* future is anyone's guess. But she can be proud of that accomplishment.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

Biggest surprise was that kids still know what a CD is!

I've always thought that Nia should have gone the acting route first and then pursued music -- but I didn't think her performance was that bad.  The song is catchy.

• Love 1

There aren't enough stage parts for all the actors out there and maybe you despise Brat Pitt, but he has put enough effort in to become an acknowledged actor.  He isn't my favorite just a name that came to mind.  Change it to the actor of your choice.  It doesn't change what the moms on the show are and the fake fame they are seeking is not recognition. 

Interview with Brynn's mum Ashlee... 

http://realmrhousewife.com/2016/04/19/ashley-allen-dance-moms-exclusice-interview/ 

She says that Kendall screaming at her was a set-up by Kendall and Jill to get out of there and get to an audition. Not sure how I feel about that... Kendall seemed pretty real to me, unless she's a better actress than we thought?

Thank you very much for that link! I really liked Ashlee from the link and see her differently now.

I'm not sure if the producers read these boards....but if they do, I'd love to see the girls do a tribute to Prince next season.  I'm so sad to hear about his passing, and he was such an amazing artist.

They probably will do something Prince in the second half of the season they are currently taping.  A lot of his music gets used in the comp world - beyond Baby I'm a Star, over the years my kid danced to My Guitar and Question of U.

• Love 1

I hope it's not as awful as the MJ one. Although, Prince loved basketball and apparently was excellent at it.

One of my very favorite Chapelle Show skits of all time.

sound quality is terrible, but its still hilarious!

• Love 1

I'm not sure where to post this, since I don't watch the show anymore. I saw some commercials going on about how maddie and mackenzie are leaving the studio. I understand why maddy is leaving. Why does mackenzie have to leave? Does she just have to make the sacrifice because melissa can't be in two places at once, or does she have something going on too? Are the three of them moving to LA or something? It's really not fair if mackenzie has to quit so that maddy can get even more attention and more of the spotlight.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:16 AM, spanana said:

Christi and Chloe may be after fame, but Christi did one thing right.  She got Chloe off Dance Moms instead of keeping her there for the "exposure", which is more than I can say for just about any of these other moms.  

She really didn't get Chloe "off" the show, she was driven off the show.  If Chloe was the "Maddie" character she would have been there to the end.  And Chloe isn't as successful as Maddie so it's easier for her to live a more "regular" life.  Chloe will also move to a more normal life as this tapers off.

46 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

I'm not sure where to post this, since I don't watch the show anymore. I saw some commercials going on about how maddie and mackenzie are leaving the studio. I understand my maddy is leaving. Why does mackenzie have to leave? Does she just have to make the sacrifice because melissa can't be in two places at once, or does she have something going on too? Are the three of them moving to LA or something? It's really not fair if mackenzie has to quit so that maddy can get even more attention and more of the spotlight.

Well, taking this with a huge grain of salt, but Melissa said that both girls had booked jobs and that that's why they were leaving. Frankly, my money's on her not wanting to hang out with the other Moms, being forced to watch Mack dance while Maddie is off working with famous people. I'm pretty sure Mack's getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop here.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:

Well, taking this with a huge grain of salt, but Melissa said that both girls had booked jobs and that that's why they were leaving. Frankly, my money's on her not wanting to hang out with the other Moms, being forced to watch Mack dance while Maddie is off working with famous people. I'm pretty sure Mack's getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop here.

That's why I don't understand how any of them could take a job like this.  If you have other children, what do they do while you're hanging around the LA studio on a reality show?  Does Ashley have other children?  Does Holly?  I know Kalani's mom has a newborn but she also has another son. 

16 hours ago, Lemons said:

That's why I don't understand how any of them could take a job like this.  If you have other children, what do they do while you're hanging around the LA studio on a reality show?  Does Ashley have other children?  Does Holly?  I know Kalani's mom has a newborn but she also has another son. 

I'm just spittballing here, but based on what was said around Kyra's absence for her pregnancy, I think that the contract obligates the moms to be present at and/or participate in every filming where there kids are on screen. I couldn't understand why all the moms were so into the "Kyra has to be here storyline" when clearly she has a newborn and thing like, oh say, breastfeeding might require her presence elsewhere. That's when it occurred to me that she might actually be contractually required to come and participate. So if that's the assumption, I can completely see Melissa saying "My options are sitting on set with Maddie and some big stars, or collecting a check myself while sitting in this damn red room with these harpies and the other kid that works my nerves." The "we're leaving" is way more about what Melissa wants than it is about Mackenzie. 

With respect to the families with other kids, the Dance Dads have all basically been turned into single parents. Holly and Kyra definitely have other kids that are home with dads/grandparents/friends etc. I believe that Kendall also has other siblings. Not sure about Brynn or Jojo.

Brynn has two siblings I believe.  Both still young (not sure what age - but school age), I think Jojo has an older brother, and Kendall has at least one (maybe two) teenage aged sisters who I think are in college.  

The moms do have to be present.  That's why Kira had to give Melissa "guardianship" of Kalani while she was gone. 

I think Melissa will regret leaving the show.  Once she realizes Maddie - not her - is the one who is going to be off doing cool things, and no one cares about her... once she's sitting in some back room eating a stale pastry waiting for Maddie to finish shooting, not a camera in sight...  she'll wish those Dance Moms cameras were still in her face filming her conversations.  Just a hunch. I hope I'm wrong. I wonder how Mackenzie will do; she has basically grown up in front of the cameras, so it's gotta be an adjustment for her...

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, hellohoping said:

Yes, all the girls have other siblings. Hard to imagine isn't it! 

Instead of worrying about Mackenzie, I would worry about the siblings left at home.  None of these mothers can be home too often.  They film this show a lot.  They also travel and do those silly meet and greets.  And Ashley is desperate to make boring Brynn a "star."  Those poor siblings at home without mom. 

20 hours ago, Lemons said:

She really didn't get Chloe "off" the show, she was driven off the show.  If Chloe was the "Maddie" character she would have been there to the end.  And Chloe isn't as successful as Maddie so it's easier for her to live a more "regular" life.  Chloe will also move to a more normal life as this tapers off.

I personally believe that Chloe was forced off/asked to leave the show because Christi was unsuffurable to work with and Chloe grew to be too tall and older looking to the point where she didn't fit in at all.   My bet is that Holly is just easier for them to work with and that's why they've kept Nia around in spite of her looking older, but she's probably on thin ice as well and has been since Chloe left.

I guess my point is that we all could be falsely assuming that these moms voluntarily choose to leave the show when they go - isn't it just as possible that the producers ask them to leave?  Maybe that's what's going on w/ Maddie and McKensie too for all we know, probably less likely than some of the others that have left, but still possible.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, MyFavShows said:

I personally believe that Chloe was forced off/asked to leave the show because Christi was unsuffurable to work with and Chlow grew to be too tall and older looking to the point where she didn't fit in at all.   My bet is that Holly is just easier for them to work with and that's why they've kept Nia around in spite of her looking older, but she's probably on thin ice as well and has been since Chloe left.

I guess my point is that we all could be falsely assuming that these moms voluntarily choose to leave the show when they go - isn't it just as possible that the producers ask them to leave?  Maybe that's what's going on w/ Maddie and McKensie too for all we know, probably less likely than some of the others that have left, but still possible.

I don't see why the producers would want Chloe to leave, given she was the firm audience favourite at the time and that stirred up a lot of discussion and online activity. That's exactly what they want. I certainly don't see why they would want Maddie to leave - her rising celebrity status only does wonders for their show. Seems Abby causes the producers more grief than anyone and they've not got rid of her, so I see no reason to believe they'd have asked anyone else to go.

Producers wouldn't ask someone to go.  Production simply tells them they are done or rather tells their agents.  However, it is also possible to be negotiated out of the contract if a performer wants out. 

7 minutes ago, hellohoping said:

I don't see why the producers would want Chloe to leave, given she was the firm audience favourite at the time and that stirred up a lot of discussion and online activity. That's exactly what they want. I certainly don't see why they would want Maddie to leave - her rising celebrity status only does wonders for their show. Seems Abby causes the producers more grief than anyone and they've not got rid of her, so I see no reason to believe they'd have asked anyone else to go.

Producers wanted Shannon Doughtery off of Beverly Hills 90210, and Suzanne Sommer's off of 3's Company, etc.  It happens sometimes that people just get too full of themselves to the point that they are toxic to the operations of the show - I got vibes that Christi was at that level the last season they were on.   Plus like it or not, Abby is much harder to replace than girls who had already grown too old for the theme of the show.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, sofiah said:

I think Melissa will regret leaving the show.  Once she realizes Maddie - not her - is the one who is going to be off doing cool things, and no one cares about her... once she's sitting in some back room eating a stale pastry waiting for Maddie to finish shooting, not a camera in sight...  she'll wish those Dance Moms cameras were still in her face filming her conversations.  Just a hunch. I hope I'm wrong. I wonder how Mackenzie will do; she has basically grown up in front of the cameras, so it's gotta be an adjustment for her...

I think its possible that Melissa may change her mind about leaving Mackenzie on DM for that very reason.  

I mean, almost EVERYTHING has been focused on Maddie leaving.....without even so much as a mention of Mackenzie.  I realize that Mackenzie must always play second fiddle, but I thought it was odd that she is barely getting any acknowledgement at all.

And if she left Mackenzie there she could "split" her time between Maddie and Dance Moms/Mackenzie.  It would check all of Melissa's boxes -- she continues to get attention, she can brag about Maddie to a national audience, she can get money for her extensions, she can get more attention for Mackenzie, she can still be in her "cool kids" clique or whatever.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Producers wanted Shannon Doughtery off of Beverly Hills 90210, and Suzanne Sommer's off of 3's Company, etc.  It happens sometimes that people just get too full of themselves to the point that they are toxic to the operations of the show - I got vibes that Christi was at that level the last season they were on.   Plus like it or not, Abby is much harder to replace than girls who had already grown too old for the theme of the show.

But Chloe is no Shannon or Suzanne Sommers.  Also while I'm sure Christi was a handful, so are all of the moms.  There is no way the show wanted Chloe, one of the most popular dancers with fans, off the show.  The whole Chloe vs. Maddie rivalry was what the show lived for.  Also I don't see why they would be concerned about Chloe looking too mature and then have Kalani around all the time.  Kalani looks more mature than all of them, including Chloe.  So the not fitting part doesn't wash with me.

The only way I could see them throwing in the towel with Chloe is if Christi was asking for ridiculous amounts of money as if she's the star of the show, a la your Suzanne Sommers example above.  Beyond that I don't really buy it.

• Love 2

And if she left Mackenzie there she could "split" her time between Maddie and Dance Moms/Mackenzie.  It would check all of Melissa's boxes -- she continues to get attention, she can brag about Maddie to a national audience, she can get money for her extensions, she can get more attention for Mackenzie, she can still be in her "cool kids" clique or whatever.

But Mackenzie wouldn't be winning all of the time, would she? Seems like Melissa would get a taste of what it's like to be one of the other moms on the show,  watching someone else's kid win every week and complaining about her kid not getting solos. Could she handle that?

3 hours ago, spanana said:

But Chloe is no Shannon or Suzanne Sommers.  Also while I'm sure Christi was a handful, so are all of the moms.  There is no way the show wanted Chloe, one of the most popular dancers with fans, off the show.  The whole Chloe vs. Maddie rivalry was what the show lived for.  Also I don't see why they would be concerned about Chloe looking too mature and then have Kalani around all the time.  Kalani looks more mature than all of them, including Chloe.  So the not fitting part doesn't wash with me.

The only way I could see them throwing in the towel with Chloe is if Christi was asking for ridiculous amounts of money as if she's the star of the show, a la your Suzanne Sommers example above.  Beyond that I don't really buy it.

Chloe really wasn't much of a rival for Maddie the last season or two that she was on the show.   Maddie had progressed well beyond her and that wasn't even a plot-line anymore.  Chloe was pitted instead against guest stars and Candy Apples/BDA dancers, if that, not Maddie (which I'm sure really angered Christi as she probably loved Chloe being Maddie's "rival").   Christi was also really arrogant about how the fans loved Chloe best even to the point that she would say stuff like that on the show and I definitely wouldn't have put it past her to make unreasonable financial demands either that would have got them off the show.   While Chloe was no Suzanne Summers or Shannon D. herself (I get it that many people think she is perfect in every way and can do no wrong), I really think Christi thought her and Chloe were the "stars of DMs" in the same way that those two examples felt they were on their respective shows.  And in reality, all of them *were* the stars of their shows and did bring in a lot of fans to the point where you'd almost imagine them irreplaceable - until they actually got replaced, and their shows carried on.  I guess soon we shall see if Dance Moms can continue w/o the great Maddie and McKensie.

• Love 2

I think that Chloe and Christi left at the first contract option/opening.  The last season  you could see that Chloe was completely demoralized by the way that Abby was treating her.  I don't think Maddie had advanced beyond her, I think that Chloe hit a growth spurt that threw her off her center which happens with most young dancers and then Abby started treating her like garbage - right down to awful costumes and horrible choreography.

• Love 3

All the girls have siblings. I wonder how this affects them. Melissa is two faced. She loves the attention. She loves that Maddie is a star. Unfortunately nobody cares about Maddie or Melissa without dance moms. 

On 4/29/2016 at 6:33 PM, MyFavShows said:

Chloe really wasn't much of a rival for Maddie the last season or two that she was on the show.   Maddie had progressed well beyond her and that wasn't even a plot-line anymore.  Chloe was pitted instead against guest stars and Candy Apples/BDA dancers, if that, not Maddie (which I'm sure really angered Christi as she probably loved Chloe being Maddie's "rival").   Christi was also really arrogant about how the fans loved Chloe best even to the point that she would say stuff like that on the show and I definitely wouldn't have put it past her to make unreasonable financial demands either that would have got them off the show.   While Chloe was no Suzanne Summers or Shannon D. herself (I get it that many people think she is perfect in every way and can do no wrong), I really think Christi thought her and Chloe were the "stars of DMs" in the same way that those two examples felt they were on their respective shows.  And in reality, all of them *were* the stars of their shows and did bring in a lot of fans to the point where you'd almost imagine them irreplaceable - until they actually got replaced, and their shows carried on.  I guess soon we shall see if Dance Moms can continue w/o the great Maddie and McKensie.

When Christi and Chloe signed on the DM it was for a very short, few episodes thing---the show grew and they signed a multi-year contract. When that contract ended, they left---they had already left Abby's studio as an official dancer, but were contractually obligated to show up for the show. Chloe and Christi left the first possible second which also happened at the same time Abby went off about Chloe's eye. 

As for Chloe being the fan favorite---regardless of what Christi said or didn't say, it's still an accurate statement. If Maddie was favored more she would have won the TCA's. If Maddie was favored more, she'd have more followers on her social media accounts---something Chloe continues to slaughter Maddie in despite everything Sia has offered her. 

In reversed roles, it's difficult to know whether Maddie would have been the fan favorite---but what I can say is this, Maddie has an ego and that ego has been front and center since the beginning of Dance Moms and it's an immediate turn off. Regardless of whether Chloe was winning or losing, she was always sweet and humble. I think that is why she was the fan favorite---not to mention, everyone loves the underdog. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

When Christi and Chloe signed on the DM it was for a very short, few episodes thing---the show grew and they signed a multi-year contract. When that contract ended, they left---they had already left Abby's studio as an official dancer, but were contractually obligated to show up for the show. Chloe and Christi left the first possible second which also happened at the same time Abby went off about Chloe's eye. 

As for Chloe being the fan favorite---regardless of what Christi said or didn't say, it's still an accurate statement. If Maddie was favored more she would have won the TCA's. If Maddie was favored more, she'd have more followers on her social media accounts---something Chloe continues to slaughter Maddie in despite everything Sia has offered her. 

In reversed roles, it's difficult to know whether Maddie would have been the fan favorite---but what I can say is this, Maddie has an ego and that ego has been front and center since the beginning of Dance Moms and it's an immediate turn off. Regardless of whether Chloe was winning or losing, she was always sweet and humble. I think that is why she was the fan favorite---not to mention, everyone loves the underdog. 

Sure you'd have a point if that were true. In reality, Maddie actually has 2 million more Instagram followers on Instagram, half a million more twitter followers and so forth more than Chloe. The source is just quick glance at all the girls social media. You're right she didn't win the Teen Choice Award but I'm sure she's happy with People's Choice Award. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Rightbackatya said:

Sure you'd have a point if that were true. In reality, Maddie actually has 2 million more Instagram followers on Instagram, half a million more twitter followers and so forth more than Chloe. The source is just quick glance at all the girls social media. You're right she didn't win the Teen Choice Award but I'm sure she's happy with People's Choice Award. 

Thanks for pointing that out, when I wrote this I only went to Facebook and YT to check and there was still a big gap so I assumed the rest of the accounts were the same gap still. When the TCA thing was happening, Chloe outmatched instagram by a lot and I should have reverified; I never think about twitter. I'm sure Maddie is happy with her PCA award though I forgot she even got it because it wasn't awarded on stage, like Chloe's was for the TCA and Industry Awards---will be interesting to see how Best Dancer goes down this year since both seem to be aiming for it again. 

• Love 1
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Loves2Dance said:

I think Abby and Melissa thought the show would make Maddie famous. Maddie was very arrogant during the 1st season. I want to win. Winning is everything. I think I'm better than everyone. It made her look bad

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Darknight said:

I think Abby and Melissa thought the show would make Maddie famous. Maddie was very arrogant during the 1st season. I want to win. Winning is everything. I think I'm better than everyone. It made her look bad

Well winning was everything to her (as it should be-- why do any of this if you don't intend to win?), and despite the "arrogance" the show and subsequently Chandelier did make her famous, even more so than Chloe. I think it's hilarious that Chloe's fans are still so bitter about that.

People often say that Maddie thinks she's better than everyone, but I've never found a clip or scene of her saying that ever-- and I really have been looking. I think people who don't have as much success as Maddie tend to project that onto her. 

• Love 1

I always loved Maddie's confidence in season 1. It's not arrogant to want to win. Nor do I think it came off as arrogant when she quite fairly and quite sweetly (imo) would observe 'I think I'm going to win this one'. Despite how young she was I found that quite an inspiring and admirable quality. 

I think it's strange that fans of Chloe want to insist with such determination that she's as good, that she's as famous, that she's as popular etc. In terms of ability the girls started exactly the same, no doubt about it, but Chloe's passion dissolved through the show and in her last season there was no comparing the two anymore; they just weren't on the same level. I watch Chloe's channel and still think the same if I'm honest, though she's definitely improved immensely since getting her passion back. As for being 'more' famous, I think it's quite clear there are no comparisons there either. Maddie is known in the world outside of Dance Moms, whereas currently Chloe is not really. People know Maddie Ziegler's name who have never watched or heard of the show. Chloe is of course popular - fans of the show love her and that's proved by her TCA, but I can't see her dancing on the Grammys or Ellen Show at any point in the near future. 

• Love 5