Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper in the Media

JeanneH

Yes, it is nice, but if the Gaines conglomerate is raking in as much dough as I suspect they do it's kind of a token effort. The "MY Pillow" owner has just donated 60,000 pillows to relief shelters in the Houston area.

• Love 7

An effort is an effort and their effort generated more funds than my donation.  We do not know what they privately donated.

And this is more than I can say about some in Hollywood who have yet to donate.  Sandra Bullock made her usual million dollar donation. You can count on her.  

I forgot the Kardashins- 500,000.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Jellybeans said:

An effort is an effort and their effort generated more funds than my donation.  We do not know what they privately donated.

And this is more than I can say about some in Hollywood who have yet to donate.  Sandra Bullock made her usual million dollar donation. You can count on her.  

I forgot the Kardashins- 500,000.

Which IMO does it even matter how much one donates in the end? A buck is a buck and it all adds up to help in the end. I would bet anything they did give more privately. Yet don't feel the need to have to splash out there like Bullock, the Kardashins and other "celebs" feel they need to. IMO no one should be throwing out there how much they gave, what they gave and so on. Including the stupid Hollywood people who do it more so to just try to "look good." I can imagine that as the water goes away, people like the Gaines and their crews can help out more as well when the time comes to clean up and fix up. 

• Love 8

I saw that and its a shame but I get it. To bad we didn't see the end of a certain flipper franchise instead though. I do hope we see something decent take its place instead of another flipping show. Otherwise this channel will soon be off by list of what I watch. 

• Love 2

Good for them.  Much better to go out while you are on top.  And honestly, all the homes are decorated in a very similar style.  Another couple of seasons and it would have started to get very old.

Their kids are getting older.  Maybe they were having second thoughts about putting them on tv, or maybe the kids themselves were starting to become uncomfortable with the exposure. 

• Love 7

It's takes a lot of self-awareness to step away from a highly rated TV show and I applaud Chip and Joanna for making that decision.  Obviously, they have plenty to keep them occupied and Jo especially seems brimming with new ideas so they'll be busy.  They've talked about keeping a healthy balance between professional and personal and as their projects expanded I wondered how that was working out.  When push came to shove, I believe they chose what's important.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

It's takes a lot of self-awareness to step away from a highly rated TV show and I applaud Chip and Joanna for making that decision.  Obviously, they have plenty to keep them occupied and Jo especially seems brimming with new ideas so they'll be busy.  They've talked about keeping a healthy balance between professional and personal and as their projects expanded I wondered how that was working out.  When push came to shove, I believe they chose what's important.

I believe they are lining up something else for TV that has a broader scope that redesigning houses in Waco and taking a break for family is a more PR friendly reason to give the Fixer Upper audience.   We shall see.

• Love 3

So happy!  I did not think this show was that great and her items are so overpriced in the stores that feature them. I am hoping that HGTV will replace this with more shows that are closer to the old focus of the channel. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I won't miss them and am looking forward to reruns not being on 12 hours a day. Bring on some fresh new shows.

HGTV has a way of flogging programs until we're utterly sick of them - and sadly that often occurs in the 2nd season. In the meantime, there are new programs airing in Canada from previous HGTV people that I'd love to see.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

HGTV has a way of flogging programs until we're utterly sick of them - and sadly that often occurs in the 2nd season. In the meantime, there are new programs airing in Canada from previous HGTV people that I'd love to see.

Yes! Bring back Cheryl Richardson.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I like their Home Town show just because of the way the design team (I know it's much more than the improbably happy young couple who headline it) respects each home's history & yet I'll be glad to see HT Season 2 come -- and go!!! 

I don't want to get to the drinking-game point, IOW.

A little goes a long way

Familiarity breeds contempt 

Etc.  

The only rehab guy all of whose spinoffs I liked was Holmes. But then I'd like Holmes (or the idea of him) pretty much anywhere! *rrowf!!*

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Bring back Cheryl Richardson.

Sarah Richardson?  She has a new show on HGTV in Canada.  "Off the Grid" - building a house in the boonies, with solar power.

21 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

I saw that and its a shame but I get it. To bad we didn't see the end of a certain flipper franchise instead though

True, true, re: certain other flippers.  I kind of liked Chip & Joanna, but then I don't see the show often enough to get fed up.  Hate the new show, "Home Town" - not a charming couple.  

I feel the design choices on most of these shows really lack imagination, but I guess that's what people want - open concept, stainless steel, palatial ensuites, blah, blah.  What really kills is when they take a gorgeous old house & modernise when it just may need a little tweaking.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, useryikes said:

Sarah Richardson?  She has a new show on HGTV in Canada.  "Off the Grid" - building a house in the boonies, with solar power.

True, true, re: certain other flippers.  I kind of liked Chip & Joanna, but then I don't see the show often enough to get fed up.  Hate the new show, "Home Town" - not a charming couple.  

I feel the design choices on most of these shows really lack imagination, but I guess that's what people want - open concept, stainless steel, palatial ensuites, blah, blah.  What really kills is when they take a gorgeous old house & modernise when it just may need a little tweaking.

I keep calling her Cheryl RIchardson. I don't even know why. LOL!! Anyhoo, I had heard she a new show on HGTV Canada and I would love to see her and Tommy again. She has a good design aesthetic. I don't think she did as much with using old fans, rakes & anything that looks rusty as artwork like Joanna does. LOL!!! That's the one thing I do like about Joanna. I like the mix of old stuff mixed in with the main design.

• Love 1

I give them credit for not getting hooked on the cable TV fame whoredom and keeping their lives and values intact before it affected their kids (looking at you, Duggars).

I would have enjoyed more insight from Joanna as to her design process and much less of The Chip Show and here are our cute kids, but it's by far the most watchable of these shows and I'm kind of sorry to see it go.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

it's by far the most watchable of these shows and I'm kind of sorry to see it go.

You might wanna try Home Town. I know there are those who don't like the Napiers but I like them okay and find their work a lot more interesting than FU's.  YMMV & that's fine. 8-)

• Love 3

I won't miss them, they are just so completely overexposed on HGTV.  And they are not the only ones.  I have seen enough of Flip Or Flop and the Property Brothers as well.

Less Personalities and more actual home design would be nice.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, sue450 said:

anyone see this item?  http://blindgossip.com/?p=87947#more-87947     it is OBVIOUSLY about them...chip did something really dumb...it will probably come out anyway at so0me point.  

Whoa, & this is at the bottom "You can’t fix stupid. Not quite Weinstein level bad, but bad nonetheless." that's a pretty big hint as to what he did, how is stopping the show going to prevent it from coming out?

• Love 2

One of the comments on the story that is linked above says that they recently sold their farm. Anyone know if that's true?

Whoa, & this is at the bottom "You can’t fix stupid. Not quite Weinstein level bad, but bad nonetheless." that's a pretty big hint as to what he did, how is stopping the show going to prevent it from coming out?

Quitting the show is probably more face-saving than being canned.

• Love 1

Posting this in the right thread...

https://pagesix.com/2017/10/09/the-real-reason-chip-and-joanna-gaines-quit-hgtv/

If this is true, did HGTV plant the blind item to poison a Discovery deal or did Discovery plant it to lower their price?

I guess both could be true?

ETA: apparently they have not sold the farmhouse...

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/chip-and-joanna-gaines-sell-farmhouse-after-ending-fixer-upper/

That beard...total fail.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

https://pagesix.com/2017/10/09/the-real-reason-chip-and-joanna-gaines-quit-hgtv/

If this is true, did HGTV plant the blind item to poison a Discovery deal or did Discovery plant it to lower their price?

That beard...total fail.

It sounds like Jo and Chip are hoping to be offered a better deal (and more money) to revive the show if the Discovery buy-out of Scripps goes through. IMHO. their show wouldn't likely make HGTV less valuable in the overall scheme of things. It's just one show on one of Scripps' channels.

The hair and beard... not surprising that Chipster is trying to look like a country music star. He seems to have a huge ego.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2017 at 6:40 PM, Oldernowiser said:

So...sexual harassment?

Scratch a television fundamentalist, find a pervert. But if he actually cheated on Joanna, he’s the dumbest man alive.

Are they really fundies? I watch the show occasionally but I don't know much about their personal lives. I didn't know they were fundamentalists. Yuck. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Are they really fundies? I watch the show occasionally but I don't know much about their personal lives. I didn't know they were fundamentalists. Yuck. 

They belong to a church where the pastor, who has been on the show, believes in gay conversion.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Their pastor is Jimmy Seibert.   The church is very anti-gay.  I don't really want to know how far that church goes in their homophobia.  Blech.   I want to believe the laws in this country wouldn't allow for a religious cult to outright hurt a gay person but nothing surprises me anymore.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2017 at 8:19 PM, Maharincess said:

Yes, they're definitely fundies -- we (you and me and Chessie and a few others) discussed the fundie/gay conversion/former church members in the Magnolia Farms thread last year.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:03 PM, magdalene said:

Their pastor is Jimmy Seibert.   The church is very anti-gay.  I don't really want to know how far that church goes in their homophobia.  

They also believe in "demonic oppression" -  one former member claims that (after she was diagnosed with schizophrenia) they tried to perform an exorcism on her.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:15 AM, Oldernowiser said:

Or the blind item is true, and the HGTV/Discovery deal is a separate event.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

From the first link (McSweeney's) - and thanks for posting, TXVoodoo (very funny):

"After some reflection and time with our pastor, we realized that what we really wanted to do was to cram a harsh, unwieldy post-war aesthetic down people’s throats....Now we can say to the Smiths and the Prestons and all the other good families we’ve been blessed to work with: you are meaningless specks in the face of mechanization and the worker-state. Here is your concrete cube. We don’t care if you like it. It is functional enough for your purposes. Get over yourselves."

"Speaking of marriage, when Jo comes back I’ve put together a really special surprise vow renewal ceremony. We’ve always said that we put the Lord first, our marriage second, and our kids right after that. Our renewal vows will reflect our new priorities: we’re putting form first, the Lord second, and third is our new series of craft cocktails inspired by things Joanna experienced in Berlin without Chip. We are just stoked to share, from our family to yours, an ideologically pure answer to the fin de siècle decadence of the middle class!"

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, Oldernowiser said:

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, CruiseDiva said:

It sounds like Jo and Chip are hoping to be offered a better deal (and more money) to revive the show if the Discovery buy-out of Scripps goes through. IMHO. their show wouldn't likely make HGTV less valuable in the overall scheme of things. It's just one show on one of Scripps' channels.

Agree, CruiseDiva.  Scripps is a conglomerate and HGTV is only one portion of it.  FU represents 13 (or so) hours of original programming per year.  When FU goes, they'll replace that content with another program so  the revenue isn't necessarily lost.  (One way to value Scripps might include applying a multiplier to the total annual revenue from all the pieces of that pie, i.e. conglomerate.)

Yep, I assumed they want a better deal and were jumping ship to another network, b/c I'm (generally) aware of how they structure these reality TV contracts.  And, almost immediately the news came out re a talk show, almost immediately.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:48 AM, chessiegal said:

I doubt one show, albeit a popular one, is going to make any difference in the price Discovery pays for all of Scripps - we're talking about 6 channels and hundreds of shows.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, I didn’t realize it was all of it. I was thinking more along the lines of when Bravo sold Project Runway to whoever has it now...Lifetime?

Yep, agree as mentioned, above.  Scripps is not only a collection of channels but a media conglomerate with various subsidiaries.

FU is merely one tiny slice of content and they'll simply slot the next pilot /series into that slot.

21 hours ago, aguabella said:

Yep, I assumed they want a better deal and were jumping ship to another network, b/c I'm (generally) aware of how they structure these reality TV contracts.  And, almost immediately the news came out re a talk show, almost immediately.

A talk show????? Why would they give them a talk show? Who are they going to be talking to, house flippers?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GaT said:

A talk show????? Why would they give them a talk show? Who are they going to be talking to, house flippers?

Not me, that's for sure!  I can see the Chipster jumping at that deal, can't you, GaT?

Chip probably talks all day to whoever listens, anyway.  They've practically monetized their entire lives so why not that?  Throw in a few mil in syndication for a couple of seasons and he'd be thrilled to bits.

• Love 2

So their cookbook is on presale now...and by “their” I mean Joanna’s.

She either is gifted with one amazing metabolism or she doesn’t eat her own cooking that often. The scalloped potato recipe calls for a stick of butter, half a pound of cheese and 2 cups cream...for six servings.

The mac and cheese? A pound and a half of cheese, a stick of butter and a cup and a half of heavy cream...again for six servings. Yowza.

OTOH, the origin of Chip’s dad gut has now been revealed...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 1
On 12/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, Oldernowiser said:

So their cookbook is on presale now...and by “their” I mean Joanna’s.

She either is gifted with one amazing metabolism or she doesn’t eat her own cooking that often. The scalloped potato recipe calls for a stick of butter, half a pound of cheese and 2 cups cream...for six servings.

The mac and cheese? A pound and a half of cheese, a stick of butter and a cup and a half of heavy cream...again for six servings. Yowza.

OTOH, the origin of Chip’s dad gut has now been revealed...

Wow, getting a gut-ache just reading and thinking about it.  Agree, can't see Jo downing that type of food.  Or even writing the book / using those type recipes.  Only if she eats something else, entirely.

Book #3, correct?  Gotta' pump their upcoming restaurant opening, right?

• Love 1